• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Bug Post Content Disappearing on Reply

Wolf Rawrrr

Wolf-Knight
Supporter
Jack Elarithon Jack Elarithon reported this glitch to me, I tested it out and confirmed it multiple times in my private workshop. Follow the steps below to reproduce it.

Note: This seems to persist in Chrome, but I have been unable to trigger it in Firefox.

1. Go as if to make a new reply to a thread, but make sure to start typing in raw code mode.

2. Either copy/paste some code into the box, or type it yourself (doesn't need to be actual code, any text will do)

3. Switch the editor mode into plain view.

4. Add some text anywhere.

5. Hit post.

What should happen at this point is that only the text you entered while in the code mode made it alive through the submission process. Everything that you typed afterwards, in the plain view mode, is missing. Eaten up somehow. Not there. I tried and retried and it keeps happening, but like I said only in Chrome. Firefox does not seem to do this.

Jack complained about this to me when he kept losing posts for our RP that he had just written and submitted. His actual post contents would be gone, typed in plain view, but the code for the character header that goes on top center of every post, typed in code view, makes it through. Can anyone confirm and or help?

I use Chrome and just tested this and did not encounter this issue. I must inquire if either of you have any extensions active.

text written in code view, and below should be text written after switching to plain view:

edit: missing

edit: I am playing with extensions right now, it is possible that one of them is doing it, I discounted it at first because there aren't many but maybe I can pinpoint it

text written in code view, and below should be text written after switching to plain view:

edit: missing
Yes, I followed your instructions. I tested it multiple times and had no issue. Again, are you using any extensions? Is this on desktop browser? Mobile browser?

Hm, okay after some brief but extensive testing, I believe this bug is caused by the Grammarly extension.

Without it, I can't replicate the bug anymore. With it, well... It happens every single time. I would type in some random "xxx" signs in one editor mode, then add some "yyy" all over the place in the other mode, and the yyys would be missing every single time.

Anyone else using Grammarly who can confirm or deny this?

Yes, Grammarly is actually a known issue circa 2016 for me. The extension tries to inject a lil' snippet of code into posts with text fields to go "Hey this person uses Grammarly, you should use it too!" It causes a variety of issues with posts. Vanishing text, destroying code, messing up images, etc.

I never had any problems so far, and I have never seen that snippet you mentioned.

But I do understand how that could mess with things. I am sure Jack has used it once upon a time, and may still be using it. I'll talk to him tomorrow.

For now I guess this mystery is solved. Thanks, Fyuri.

That said anyone else with helpful experience is welcome to contribute to this. I tried googling for this particular Grammarly issue but can't find anything.

Never thought I'd live to see the day when I'd get out-snooped by a demon empress. Not that I rubbed my snout sore searching, but still... Meh.

That does it then. It was annoying anyway - could hardly write down two sentences without Grammarly telling me that I need to remove half my commas and add half a dozen new ones... *woof*

Never thought I'd live to see the day when I'd get out-snooped by a demon empress. Not that I rubbed my snout sore searching, but still... Meh.

That does it then. It was annoying anyway - could hardly write down two sentences without Grammarly telling me that I need to remove half my commas and add half a dozen new ones... *woof*
Yeah. The code snippet thing was something I found a long while ago before I was even staff. X3 [SOLVED - Grammarly] "Not signed in" at bottom of spoilers

It was trying to post this into the text field; <div title="Protected by Grammarly"> and <span>Not signed in</span>

Thing's clearly more trouble than it's worth.

Seemed cool when I first saw it, but after what, 6 months of use or so, I was already neutral towards slightly annoyed with it. 90% of the things it did I could probably get a regular autocorrect to fix. Maybe it's useful for some people doing some things, but I'm gonna be ditching it now - especially on RpN over these issues.

Once again thanks, Fyuri *woof*

Thing's clearly more trouble than it's worth.

Seemed cool when I first saw it, but after what, 6 months of use or so, I was already neutral towards slightly annoyed with it. 90% of the things it did I could probably get a regular autocorrect to fix. Maybe it's useful for some people doing some things, but I'm gonna be ditching it now - especially on RpN over these issues.

Once again thanks, Fyuri *woof*
No problem. X3 At least it was something that could be resolved, even if it meant disabling the extension. Hopefully your friend's issue is resolved by it as well.

Like I already said, this happened consistently using Chrome (specifically Version 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build) (64-bit), which is latest). Firefox could not reproduce the error. I did not test anything else.

I am almost dead certain that both me and Jack are using Grammarly, on Chrome, in Windows. I haven't yet had the chance to talk to him. But at this point I am past doubting this. According to all my tests, it is up to Grammarly. Which I'm not using anymore as of yesterday *woof*

I was actually a long time Firefox fan, up until it started eating up to 1 GB of RAM and throwing errors every time I wanted to upload any kind of file anywhere on the net. Did some troubleshooting and then flipped the finger to the fox, simply because I could. Besides, Chrome is arguably better (though since then Firefox has been updated many times and is likely much improved from the version I remember).

Like I already said, this happened consistently using Chrome (specifically Version 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build) (64-bit), which is latest). Firefox could not reproduce the error. I did not test anything else.

I am almost dead certain that both me and Jack are using Grammarly, on Chrome, in Windows. I haven't yet had the chance to talk to him. But at this point I am past doubting this. According to all my tests, it is up to Grammarly. Which I'm not using anymore as of yesterday *woof*

I was actually a long time Firefox fan, up until it started eating up to 1 GB of RAM and throwing errors every time I wanted to upload any kind of file anywhere on the net. Did some troubleshooting and then flipped the finger to the fox, simply because I could. Besides, Chrome is arguably better (though since then Firefox has been updated many times and is likely much improved from the version I remember).

Ah,

The new Firefox quantum is worth it also sorry for not realizing you mentioned Chrone. I will look into it and notify the proper devs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back