Porthca Landing III: Burned Bridges & Broken Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eliza gingerly took her seat, thankful to be off her now slightly wobbly legs. She stared at her clammy hands trying to find the adequate words. "Well, when we last spoke to the 'Sea', she tasked us with finding and fetching her 'Pearl', and in return she would give back Lord Cyne's body and 'listen to our requests'. We successfully managed that after some...difficulties and returned back to Porthca." She wondered if that was what it felt like to be called into the dean's office and bit down her tongue to stop from giggling at her ridiculous state. "Um...so as you know, we met up with her last night and she kept mentioning this contract. Now let me be very clear," She insisted with a sharp glare at the young lord, "our intention wasn't to strike any kind of deal with her especially not on the behalf of anybody else. We only sought to get the body and maybe get her to express her discontent in more productive ways other than straight up murder. If we were very fortunate, maybe even have her eventually accept a new contract that was discussed and decided by the council."

She got to her feet and started anxiously pacing around the room, her cane tapping an irregular rhythm as she continued, "As you would imagine, we face some issues with trying to convince this tumultuous entity of anything. She did finally agree to a different contract but she wanted it finalized then and there. Now, I admit none of us had much experience drawing up contracts but we did our best for Porthca." Leaning on her staff, the half-orc wizard seemed deflated but soldiered on, "We didn't even have the old contract as a reference but we tried to come up with terms that, while still helped Porthca remain prosperous, would put a permanent end to these senseless deaths."

She paused as an uncomfortable realization dawned on her and she sheepishly added, "The exact terms of the contract are now with Lord Tyrius. I apologize for this oversight but I hope you understand it was rather late at night. If you send a messenger to the Church of the Crying God, I think he might still be there. In summary though, Porthca is afforded the Sea's protections in return to the city agreeing to not build on her domain, nor harm her sirens, and to sacrifice a small portion of their earnings to her. In addition, the contract is now 'opt in'. Adult heirs have to now willingly sign the contract to take up its responsibilities, and it is also way to remind each generation of its wording. The Sea has to send a representative to communicate any breach of the contract and the council is given a period of 30 days from then in which to deal with the issue. The contract is also up for renewal or negotiation every 50 years. Finally, there is now a fifth seat on the council representing the common Porthca and Catelyn Price is its first member. She will be responsible for deciding her heir. Any questions?" Eliza asked breathless as she took her seat again.

Lord of the Lost? Protecting flocks?... Lathander, you guide me in such strange ways. I will bring your lost sheep home, and if I am to do it with the help of another god, so be it. Adkiel and the Morning Lord, you lead and your servant will follow.

After his quick prayer while trying to center himself, Ander stared as his friend moved for the door. He grabbed his things and threw them over his shoulder before following Magnolia out of the room. "Not sure what a buffay is, but I do know they got fish," he said as his face continued to be beat red.

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | De'Porthca Manor | Study:

Sidwae listened to Eliza intently as she went through her speech, Anthol looking between both Eliza and Ben at points to gauge his son's expression while the mage spoke. Eventually Anthol spoke: "That's ... a lot. Sid, however, did seem to wake last night on edge about something," he glanced towards his wife who still sat off to the side and nodded.

"Yes," she replied, "I have my own ... relationship with the waters around here, and around midnight I woke with a start. I wasn't entirely sure what it was, but when I heard you and Ben return to the Manor around then, I had a feeling it was related."

Benito leaned back in his seat, "With regards to the contract," he did a small motion with his hand and a transparent copy of the agreement from the night prior hovered above his hand, the script written out, "I found this out this morning when I was thinking on what all it said. Apparently the Sea has affected things already with this new deal and ... as the current head of the family, it seems I'm able to 'summon' the contract for review." He raised it so Anthol could read it over, "I'm not entirely keen on everything there ... or how it's worded, but I intend to be there to update it in fifty years."

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Tuckered Kraken Tavern | Main Room:

Ander and Magnolia make their way to the main room just in time to see Banrigg and Terminus enter -- the panther at his side drawing some looks from the few patrons at the morning hour. Baern, the owner, waves to Banrigg, before pointing with a thumb at the other two, "These're the lot ya paid breakfast for, right?"

The Dwarf nodded, "Yep, an' there's another few, if they're still sleepin'."

Joining the pair at a table, Banrigg swept an arm between Ander and Terminus, "Ander, this here's ... 'Turminis', met 'im while I was sayin' my farewells ta Richeye at t'Defallian Manor. Like I told you lot, I'm headin' out, soon as I find a ship t'take me, but seems like you lot're gonna have a lot in common t'talk about." As a plate and mug was set before him, the dwarf eagerly tucked in, swallowing before continuing, "Where's th' salt-lass an' her new friend?"

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Tuckered Kraken Tavern | Private Room:

Watching the lightning between his fingers, Lestone sighed, "I don't entirely blame them for that, I suppose. But we shall see. I was considering offering my aid around the city, but if they truly wish to be rid of me, I have plenty of other places I can go."

He thought for a moment, "I ... was a representative of the four families that acted as the pillars for the small cove of Porthca. Speaking in the Sea's court on their behalf, I requested the area be protected from fierce waters and deadly storms, in return I would aid in making sure the families kept their side of the bargain: not destroying the waters or attempting to kill the Sea. I didn't realize her understanding of 'aid' meant dwelling with her and acting as her representative in dealing with all the smaller deals she had made with mortals."

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Church of the Crying God:

Contining to fidget with her red cord, Catelyn dipped her head slightly, "If you think so, Lord Tyrius ..." His question caught her off guard as she thought for a moment, "Uhm ... Well, he was definitely here before I was, and I turned twenty five this year. As a Dwarf I expect he was around even longer than that for this temple, but I cannot say for sure." The young woman scratched her head, "Eirene was the cleric who helped Father Uskough when he was starting to get too tired to leave the temple often, she's the new head of the church."

Silent for a few moments, still trying to let everything settle in her mind, she hesitantly asked, "... what about Lestone? I'd heard he had been lurking in the streets these past weeks, Lord Benito visited a few times, asking if he'd caused problems here."

Valerie's expression dropped further. "I fear that the only aid they would ask of you is a head to adorn an iron spike on their gates, and as you already informed me earlier, that would be an impossible feat for you." She paused for a moment before hesitantly suggesting. "If you wished, you could likely travel with my companions and I. I am uncertain of what our goal may be following our work in Porthca, but I can promise that it will be something in the service of good, if redemption is what you seek. Besides, it would allow you to stay with your mother, if that is something you desire." The desire to ask more about the entity that lay within her ring was obvious on her face, but Valerie wanted to have the contract dealt with first before getting to her own issues.

Hearing his explanation of the ancient contract, the young warlock began to grow concerned. "Well... that is a rather loose interpretation of the word 'aid'. You were there last night and you know the Sea better than anyone... is there anything that you believe that she would use against us in our new contract? I mean no offense, but I do not believe that I would fare as well after several centuries of being a watery servant." She smiled slightly, although was quite clearly worried about the possibility.

Clenching her fist in disappointed anger, Eliza chose to let Ben's comments slide for now. He wasn't her responsibility anymore, "Well, I am afraid I can't stay much longer. I have some other business to attend to in Porthca then I will be setting off towards Chilldrift." She announced in a clipped tone as she got up again, "Thank you for lending us the use of your cart on our journey. I am...sorry if we caused you any trouble. If there is ever any need for my help don't hesitate to message me, Lord Benito has my Chilldrift address." Using mage hand, she grabbed her bag from the floor and curtsied politely using the back of her chair for support.

"Madame Sidwae, if I could just have a final word before I go?" She requested as she opened the door and glanced back at the Siren-turned-socialite noble.

"The name isss Terminusss, and thisss isss Abrahmsss..." as he says the panther's name, its head bows as to acknowledge it mentioning. "I was talking to Richeye about hisss bandit issssue when Banrigg came in to discussss hisss departure and I am assssuming abandonment of the contract to eliminate the banditsss. I am after the banditsss for a different reassson, and sssince our objectivesss align, I think it would be ussseful to combine our effortsss, if that is of interessst to you. May I sssit down?"

While Terminus is discussing this Abrahms is checking out the food on the table, eyeing some of the meat. It has been a while since Terminus and Abrahms had a decent meal. They have been traveling for what seems like forever, in the mind of a panther.

Terminus, seeing the food, knowing it has been a while, turns to the waitress, "Excussse me, mam, may I get a plate of ham and sssausssage?" Hearing this, Abrahms's ears perk up and starts to lick her lips.

"Leshtonn?" Virra had started munching on a piece of toast during the lull in conversation; she quickly swallowed it down, then wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "Oh, right, we didn't say. Yeah, it turns out we were right in thinking he was being forced to act by the Sea, so before Val -- that's our new friend -- handed over the Pearl we made her promise to give up Lestone for it, plus Cyne's body like we agreed." She cheerfully took another mouthful of toast before going on. "He's at the Tuckered Kraken right now with Val. Sharing a room with her, actually, but you didn't hear that from me."

Catching what might have been a sceptical look from Cate, Virra went on. "Really, he's all right. Not even undead anymore, from the look of things. I bet he hates the Sea and what she did even more than the rest of us."

Ander stares at the new arrival with bewilderment for a few moments. A kobold with a large cat? That is odd... Wait a second, I was just a lion a few minutes ago, we just finished contract negotiations with the literal sea, I've been turned into a firbolg... this doesn't even near the top of my list of odd things I've seen in just the past month.

The large man finally shakes the confused look from his barely visible face and he smiles a smile that shines through his unruly beard, "Well, then, it's a pleasure ta meet ya, Terminus. I can say that at the very least I would be happy ta have as much help as I can get." He sits down and makes eye contact with Abrahms and somewhere deep inside he gets a sense of anger. A low growl escapes his lips for only a second before he snaps out of it and looks up to the waiter, saying, "Sausage and a coffee for me, as well, please." He turns to the kobold and lowers his voice, asking, "what do you know 'bout them bandits?"

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | De'Porthca Manor | Study:

Anthol stood as Eliza did, bowing towards her as she went to leave. Sidwae turned her gaze from the contract to the half-orc, as if trying to gauge what she might wish to talk about before pushing herself to standing and moving towards the mage, "Very well. We can borrow our room while the men speak."

Stepping past Eliza into the hallway, the Madame of the house led her towards the room Sidwae and Anthol shared, gesturing for her to enter. Closing the door behind them, she stood watching Eliza, "What do you need to say that it had to be private?"

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Tuckered Kraken Tavern | Main Room:

When the waiter came by, Banrigg swallowed quickly and gestured at the others, "Jus' add their meals t' what I offered earlier." The dwarf raised an eyebrow at the momentary growl but shrugged it off.

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Tuckered Kraken Tavern | Private Room:

Appearing to consider Valerie's offer, the man shrugged, "I don't know -- sure your own allies wouldn't be wary of me as well?" Looking towards the warlock his expression softened, "I ... it was wonderful to speak with her once more, but I worry if my mother attempted to 'possess' you more, it would only weaken her further." Glancing towards the ring he added, "... perhaps to where she had nothing left."

He chuckled faintly at Valerie's attempt at a joke, "I doubt many would. I think you lot managed better than I did, but most of your group seemed a bit more learned than I am." Lestone gestured to himself, "I confess I didn't spend much of my time around schools and books."

Catelyn blinked a few times, "He -- what?" She scratched her head, "Then ... I guess my dream last night was true after all. I dreamt I had broken through water, reaching the surface and finally taking a deep breath of air." Sighing she looked relieved, giving the pair a soft smile, "Ilmater teaches us to carry all burdens for others, even if they may not be easily understood ... I suppose it would not be too far to suggest carrying the burdens for Porthca, however I confess I worry I may not be worthy of such a task, nor entirely prepared for it. But I will do my best, and we shall see how time carries us forwards."

Hearing the offer to pay for the breakfast, Terminus turns to Banrigg, "I thank you."

Not sure if the growl he heard was from a person at the table, Abrahms for some reason, or either Abrahms's stomach or his, he just ignores it for now.

Abrahms heard the growl as well, but with so many people around, she does not know where exactly it came from, but does know the direction. Her head cocks to one side a little to see if she can hear it again, but then gets distracted with the smells of breakfast, and the tail starts swishing ever faster with anticipation of ham and sausage.

Turning back to Ander, "I originally came here to sssee if I could find rumorsss or reportsss of attacksss to help narrow in the direction and area to look for the banditsss. I sssaw the posssting from Richeye and went to inquire about it ssshortly before Banrigg came to talk to Richeye...", pausing for a moment, as seeming to bring up something that truly infuriates and troubles him, "The banditsss I ssseek have markingsss on their body of a ring of daggersss, coinsss and chainsss. From what I gather ssspeaking to Banrigg, sssome of what you have been dealing with have these markingsss. Isss thisss correct?"

Tyrius listened as Catelyn talked about her dream and shared her worries. Fixing the cleric with a broad smile as she said she’d do her best, Tyrius said, “That’s the spirit,”. Bringing his coin pouch out, Tyrius started to pull out platinum pieces. Two columns of eleven platinum pieces and five gold coins were soon on the table and the coin purse safely out of the way within Tyrius’ jacket.

“This is for you,” said Tyrius simply, “Well, more for the church. Hopefully you can put it to good use around here.” One gold for every year Tyrius estimated that Father Uskough had been alive.

Looking to Virra, Tyrius said, “Eliza messaged me as we were splitting up last night. She said to meet at the Accmours at midday.” explained the sorcerer. “So, guess we should think what to do until then.”

Valerie glanced away for a moment, realizing that Lestone had a point before turning back with enthusiasm. “If it is an issue, then I will convince them. I am very good at that sort of thing, as I am sure you know.” She spoke with far more confidence than she actually felt, but Lestone felt like he was far too big of a piece of the puzzle of the ring to allow him to just slip through her fingers. Besides, the thought of him forced to wander the world alone was an unpleasant one.

She eased up a little hearing that Lestone thought that they were in the clear in terms of the contract. Looking down to the ring on her hand, Valerie played with it idly before looking back to the elemental man. “Your mother, the Tempest... can you tell me of her? Who is she? Why is she inside of my Grandfather’s ring? Why have her powers diminished so?”

Virra lightly punched Cate's arm. "You're way too accepting of stuff like this, Cate. But I'm glad you're gonna give it a shot." Then she saw Tyrius laying out stacks of platinum coins on the table, and did a double take. "Glad I got my gift in early," she muttered, frowning at the comparatively tiny fortune that she'd hidden in the shoe heel.

Well, there was nothing to be done about that. She rocked back in her chair, pondering Ty's question. "Well, I might've said preparing for what we're doing next, but who knows what that's gonna be. All our magic junk's at the De'Porthcas', too, so we'll have to sell that later." An idea came to her as she glanced between the sorcerer and the cleric. "Hey, do either of you know any neat places in Porthca we could visit? Shopping, eating, entertainment, nice views, weird local culture..." The thought banished any lingering tiredness she might have had. "We've been on the road for so long, Ty. Let's go do something fun for a few hours!" she declared.

Ander winces slightly at the mention of the markings, "Yeah, we ran across 'em a few weeks ago. From what I understand, they ain't just bandits, but slavers as well." He looked down for a moment as he thought and sadness came across his face. "They seem ta be the group that attacked my temple on Lokil, we found evidence that they had been there. Trouble is, we don't know where ta look next, either. The last encounter we had with em was on the way to Wyford, but... uh... those ones wont be botherin' anyone anymore." He reached into his pack and pulled out a set of chains, "Speaking of slavers, we need to go speak with the Accumors about these when we've finished breakfast."

"I wasss not aware of the ssslavery, but I had my sssussspicionsss." A flash of anger and pain washes across Terminus's face, "Ssso, they attacked sssomeplace ssspecial to you asss well? It isss not sssurprisssing, asss from what I have heard they have been busssy. I am not sssure if it isss one large group, or multiple sssmall onesss working together, however."

Thinking for a moment, "Banrigg mentioned a group of orcsss with ass slave that your group freed, isss that the group you are ssspeaking of?"

Looking at the chains, again a flash of anger and pain washes across Terminus's face, "Who or what isss the Accumorsss?"

Ander nodded. "The group of Orcs had a woman who I grew up with as a slave and they were unin' these ta not only restrain her, but brainwash her inta usin' her magic ta help them." He placed the chains back in his bag. "I don't know if the orcs were related... Now that I think of it, we never really checked them for marks," he says, frowning as he scratches his head.

"The Accumors are a family that, from what I gather, specialize in magic items. I want ta go see if they can take a look at these chains and maybe make us a way of deactivatin' them without hurtin' the folks bein' effected by 'em." Ander runs his hand,through his beard, looking a bit puzzled. "Did the bandits take somethin' from you, friend?"

Magnolia had given the newcomers a polite wave as she then continued to shove food into her face, opting to let Ander do most of the talking while her mouth was preoccupied. The town itself may have sucked but at least they new how to make breakfast, even if it wasn't a buffet.
Hey mags, you do realise there is a floofy kitty right there right?

Yeah I know, but if we don't get it food before squeezing it, they scratch.

So what? how long has it been since we snuggled a big floofer kitten?

Her face wrinkled up, thinking about the pros and cons of such a situation.

Hhhmmm... you raise a valid point, but right now.... eating..

Her face continuing the assault on the poor helpless breakfast as others discussed the future smiting of things.

"The banditsss did take sssomething preciousss from me, and they will pay." anger is building in Terminus, and it is clear this is a sore spot for him. Looking to change the subject...

"I am assssuming the woman isss in a sssafe place. That isss good to hear..." as Terminus is speaking a plate of ham steaks and a few sausages are placed in front of him. He takes a ham steak and sausage, puts in on a separate plate, taking what is left and moving it to a spot on the table. He then turns to Abrahms and signals her to come over. To everyone's amazement, she climbs onto the bench at the table and begins to eat the meat on the plate, being careful not to spill anything. Terminus takes a couple bites and continues, "...wasss ssshe able to give you any insssight into where ssshe wasss taken?"

Raising a hand towards his head, Lestone pointed as if to the crown Valerie wore, "Mhm, I saw some of it on display last night."

Lowering his arm he stared towards the far wall in thought. "I can only answer some of those, given my own situation ... when I last saw her, she was still at her full strength -- able to call together catastrophically powerful storms and winds, able to tear trees from their very roots out of the ground, rains that could flood valleys, and lightning that would scar the earth. She's the Storm personified -- sort of like what the Sea wants to be someday. A Primordial force of nature given form and set upon the world." Over his hands grew a small storm cloud, faint sparks reaching outwards. "She can be kind as well, giving rain to barren places, strong winds to sailors and so on. I truly don't know why she's inside your ring, but I feel her weakening is tied to that. A ... place to hide, to prevent others from entirely taking her 'throne' in a sense. If they can't see how weak she is, they may assume she is still the Tempest she's always been, still helping guard the world from dangerous creatures. Specifically for her at least, from the Elemental Plane of Air."

Looking back towards Valerie he continued, "She's not the only force like that -- you apparently can speak Primordial, I assume you know the sub-dialects within it: one for water, earth, air and fire. My mother belonged to the domain of air, her sister is of Earth, and her brothers Water and Fire." Lestone gestured idly until a small rumble came from his stomach, he placed a hand on it, looking slightly embarrassed. "I'm ... sorry. It has been a very long time since I've ate anything and I can smell breakfast from down the hall."

As more and more coin was offered, Catelyn's eyes only continued to widen, looking at Tyrius in shock: "Lord Tyrius! Are you sure? That's a lot of coin to so casually donate to the church! Are you truly sure you don't need it for your own adventures?"

She slowly began to collect the money as if not believing what she was seeing, her hands shaking slightly, but glanced up at Virra's question. "Unfortunately, my idea of 'neat' or 'fun' I expect will be different from yours -- but perhaps you could aide me in the Maze for a little while? With all that you both have offered today, and the news you brought, I was considering setting up something more substantial to offer those that live there. A new start for Porthca? Especially since ... I seem to be the people's representative now, I should definitely make sure to speak with them about their concerns."

While Catelyn spoke and Tyrius seemed to think, the deep gnome slowly felt a cough building, a discomfort in her gut, and a tiredness that seemed to have rebounded. Sweat slowly started to build as everything felt too warm, and it was hard to focus. The cleric of Ilmater glanced towards her with a concerned expression, "Oh no ... did you eat something that went bad? I really hope it wasn't the food here," she glanced at those who still remained from the morning offerings, then reached out to the Mystic, placing one hand on her shoulder, then the other on the red thorned thread around her wrist, muttering a small prayer. Virra began to feel better as the symptoms appeared to shift to Catelyn, her color paling as she sweat for a moment until the sickness seemed to pass from her as well.

With a sigh, she opened her eyes, smiling, "There -- all better I hope?" Looking between the pair, "I understand if what I offered might not interest you -- not everyone is keen for such services."

As Catelyn asked if he was sure, Tyrius gave her a nod, "I'm sure. I can always earn more on my adventures if the need arises." explained Tyrius.

While Catelyn started to explain her idea of 'fun', Tyrius felt as if that might not be agreeable to Virra. Tyrius started to think about saying something he felt a now familiar burst of energy flow through him, but it was gone within six seconds. 'That was strange,' thought Tyrius, feeling no effect whatsoever. Though as Catelyn brought his attention to Virra's sudden change in health, Tyrius felt himself pale a little.

'.... shit.'

"Err, I think I'll help out," said Tyrius, trying to affect a cheery nature as he was already trying to think of how to make it up to Virra. Though not being very original, the sorcerers thoughts once again turned to his coin pouch.

'Step one, find out Virra's age from Eliza. Step two, put the same amount of platinum into her coin pouch without anyone noticing.' thought Tyrius, 'Might be better to just explain, apologise, offer to buy her - supplies for her hobby of making shoes. I'll think about it as I help Catelyn.'

Valerie listened with great interest as Lestone began to describe the entity, her gaze being drawn back down to the salty ring on her finger. Seeing the small storm in Lestone's hands, the young warlock closed her eyes and held the same position before feeling a tingle run through the ring. Opening them once more, she half gasped and half giggled as she saw small sparks of lightning leaping between her hands. "I had no idea... and to think, all of this time I thought that salt was the extent of my abilities!" She focused again and watched as another spray of sparks flew out. "Perhaps some time I can ask her... in the past I was briefly able to communicate, although she spoke solely through storms and wind."

As Lestone's stomach rumbled, Valerie blushed as well as she quickly hopped up from the bed and moved over to the chest. "Oh gods, how foolish of me... I am so very sorry, I had not even considered what it must be like to have gone without food for so long." She removed her rather hefty gold pouch and dug out two gold coins before quickly offering them out to him with a smile. "I assume you do not have much in the way of gold with you, so here you go. I still need to get ready for the day... I believe that I need all the advantages I can get to talk some sense into these nobles, so it would be remiss of me to not look my best. Ander should certainly be up and ready by now, he always prefers to rise early to see the sun." She paused for a moment, looking the man's raggedy clothes over before adding. "Perhaps you could borrow something of his to wear. He may not be particularly pleased to see you, but I am sure that I will be able to make him see that your actions were not your own."

"Uh. The Maze, huh?" It was difficult for Virra to fake her enthusiasm. She'd even been careful to lay out exactly what she considered a good time on the town would feature, but Cate apparently had a one-track mind. Could she not even conceive of having fun in a way that didn't involve improving the lives of strangers? Virra couldn't tell if that was inspiring or tragic.

But she knew what she liked, at least. "Well, normally we'd love to help out a good cause, but that sounds like it might take a lot longer than..." she began, but with each word that came out of her mouth the temperature of the room seemed to increase. By the time she trailed off, the mystic was red in the face -- yet she was shivering at the same time. "What did I just eat...?" she croaked, then clamped a hand over her mouth as something began to stir down below. Oh, gods, not in front of everyone.

I'm so sorry, Ilmater, sir, she thought fervently. If you'll spare me for this transgression, I swear I'll make shoes for a dozen orphans!

Just as she was getting ready to flee from the table, divine intervention arrived in the form of Cate's healling hand. Virra waited until her stomach had stopped churning and her temperature became bearable, then let her hand fall away with a gasp of air. "Praise be, praise be," she breathed, shaking her suddenly clear head and turning to look guiltily at the cleric as she made her plea again. Well, what could she say? Now that she'd gone out of her way to cure her, Virra couldn't exactly refuse to help out with her charity drive. The gnome's eyes narrowed, wondering how much that cunning fox of a cleric had seen through her reluctance.

"I guess we can make the time," she conceded. Maybe it would be all right -- or, at the very least, a new experience.

Eliza followed the Madame to her room with dread in her heart, but she felt she owed Sidwae one final explanation out of earshot of her husband and stepson. "I wanted to commend you for the grace and patience you have extended this family. I also thought it best to let you know the true power of this 'Pearl'...assuming you didn't already know all about it. From my brief studies of this priceless artifact, I have learned that it would grant the Sea the power to conjure up more water elementals and...Sirens." The half-orc ventured then paused carefully deliberating over her next words, "Your true...origins were let slip yesterday. The sea has agreed not to disturb you in the meantime, but I...thought you should still know that."

Eliza awkwardly shuffled her feet and opened her mouth to add something else but changed her mind and instead handed her a small pouch that jingled when shook, "This is what I owed Benito. I would give it myself but he can be difficult regarding such matters and I need to be heading out now. Thank you for the gracious hospitality you have extended my acquaintances and me, and for letting us stay in your beautiful home."

Without another glance, the half-orc wizard positively fled this oppressive house with almost a skip in her step now that all her debts to Ben were payed off. She even had a few hours to herself before meeting the others at the Accmours. As she walked down the still-unfamiliar streets of Porthca with Tony the pony tugging behind her, she realized she was standing in the same street that she had found Ben in the first place. She had managed to not only survive but learn and prosper too, she thought amazed.

She wondered what her parents would think of seeing her like this and decided to visit the Accmours then and there. She could wait for the others to catch up but she needed to get that spell now.

Last edited:

Chuckling as the warlock continued to play with sparks, "It seems being tied to her has given some limit of access to her domain." Pushing himself upright on the bed to a seated position, he stared at the gold for a moment before taking the coin, studying the details of it. "Unfortunately I think any wealth I had is long gone ..." Lestone thought for a moment, "Ander ... he's the tall one, right? I think he punched me at one point ..." rubbing his jaw, "the one last night tried, but there was hardly anything behind it."

Standing, he flipped the coins between his fingers, bowing towards Valerie, "I appreciate the offering, let's see if I remember my table manners," he smirked. "I will try to sit with the others if they will let me, but I will not wander far." With a wave he exited the room, once more causing a small breeze to mess with Wayne Jr's feathers before closing the door.

Banrigg continued to eat his meal, listening to the conversation go back and forth, chuckling at Magnolia's seemingly endless appetite. "Lass, might do ya better ta chew, an' not jus' inhale everythin'!" His laughter faded as he saw Lestone approach from the rooms, and coughed slightly, directing attention of the table towards the man -- the dull lights of the tavern still made some of his details difficult to make out. Standing a little over six-foot, his dark tan skin still had faint remnants of his time with the Sea, but it was difficult to fully ignore the faint blue rune-marks that traced around his face and across visible skin where his clothes were ragged and torn. Black hair framed his face, resting on his shoulders, any time they caught the light there was a pearl-like sheen to them, and vibrant sea-green eyes looked out at the group gathered, a hesitant smile on his face while the two gold coins lightly floated above his palm. The clothes he wore looked out of place compared to more modern styles and were barely holding together as he moved.

Glancing between the ones he somewhat recognized he explained, "Hey again -- uh ... the lady I roomed with, fairly sure her name is Valerie? She's getting dressed finally, but I have not eaten in literal centuries." He held up the two gold, "Any idea how much this is actually worth? For food?"

Smiling eagerly, Catelyn nodded, "Then I'll inform Mother Eirene where I'll be if I'm needed. Let me gather my things and ..." she hesitantly reached for the coin, counting it out again, "... we can stop at the Yummy Devil to pick up our supplies." Collecting her things she briefly stopped at a human woman who seemed in conversation with a few elderly humans who had mostly bowls of oatmeal, any time they spoke it was easy to see they had perhaps five teeth between them, and receiving a nod, the young woman went upstairs, returning in a few minutes with a large sack and her gear to deal with any threats in the streets.

Still continuing to smile she nodded at Virra and Tyrius, "Shall we? I think you'll find the Maze is an ... often ignored place but very interesting at the same time."

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | De'Porthca Manor:

Madame Sidwae stood listening to Eliza with a passive expression, her arms crossed as she stood in a silken nightdress. Flickers of a reaction were visible at the mention of the Pearl, but as Eliza mentioned knowing Sidwae was a Siren, the woman glared the direction of the study. "He promised. I should have known better I suppose -- once he gets mad, nothing is sacred."

Having the bag of coin suddenly pushed at her, Sidwae looked confused, but before she could reply, the half-orc had made a hasty retreat out of the home.

Morning of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | Aedon House:

It had been awhile since Eliza had been here, but it was hard to forget the unassuming front to the house of magic, especially as it housed one of the largest libraries Eliza had seen outside of Azarad. Last time she'd been here, it had been with Virra and Ben ... perhaps it was a little offputting to be here by herself, but it was too late now.

If the half-orc mage decided to enter, she'd see the familiar entry with the woman behind a desk, appearing to doze at her seat in the silence of the sitting room.

Eliza chose to rest on one of the sofas and wait rather than the wake up the obviously exhausted girl. She herself felt extremely drained herself from all that had conspired not just earlier today, but all stresses that had accumulated from the moment she had been let go from Azarad to now.

Shea yearned to just step behind that desk and into the Accmours’ magnificent library. She would give anything to get lost between the long shelves overflowing with ancient, dusty tomes and never be found again.

Books, she could figure out given time. They all consistently made sense to her if she did her best, always had. Parents trapped under mountains though? Slavers ravaging and mind controlling innocent people?

She had made a right mess of Ben’s situation. Played with a whole city’s livelihood like she had any right to interfere. No wonder he hated her now. And now she had to choose, either betray her promise to help Ander in his time of need or betray her parents instead...

The half-orc wizard gasped and clenched her bag closer for dear life as she started drowning, black spots starting to cover her vision. She urged herself to keep it together in public and not make a scene like last time.

It was only the sudden cold sensation of two tiny clammy paws on either side of her face that helped her take pause. Faust placed a furry cheek on her forehead and patted her face watching and waiting for his panicking Eliza to calm down before nestling back in her cape, his job done.

She took a few more seconds to settle her nerves and to swipe her wand over herself to look more presentable again and moved slighty wobbly to the snoozing woman. She gently tapped her staff on the floor, hoping to get the woman’s attention. “I was wondering if...if you sold spells.“ She inquired in a low, gruff voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back