Porthca Landing III: Burned Bridges & Broken Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing all the people calling his name Rin looked back towards Niradnam and then to the group. With a wide grin on her face she immediately stops rushing to the exit and moves back to her guide's side. She punches Niradnam in the leg in a good-natured and almost celebratory manner although definitely a little harder than is strictly necessary. "Nirry sweetie, you didn't tell me you had friends !" The elderly gnome may have pitched her voice just loud enough to carry over to the approaching group of people.

Before she has any chance to wave or say anything to the group a dark grey gnome sprints out of the others and runs towards Niradnam and Rin. She is delighted to see another gnome around, even if her skin marked her as not of the forest gnomes that Rin had spent her life around. The other gnome is so young and delightfully exuberant and Rin immediately takes a liking to her. She waves happily to the other gnome, the wrinkles on her face folding as she smiles warmly. "Hello dearie, my you really are a pretty one. It's lovely to meet you. Call me Rin." Without prompting she pulls the much younger gnome into a motherly hug.

Pulling back from the hug she looks at Ander as he addresses both her and Niradnam. She looks the man up and down and nudges Niradnam with her elbow, gesturing to Ander. "See Nirry, that's what I mean right there. If you ate a little more you might look as impressive as this man here." She smirks with the look of someone who knows exactly what buttons she is pushing holding her hand out to the bigger man. "Hello there, my name is Rinmerrion Bristlebloom and little Nirry here is acting as my guide. He has been very brave so far, keeping me safe from the threat of dangerous long walks and the perils of a rogue thorn." She chuckles to herself before shaking her head a little. "Call me Rin dear, I'm here teaching some people about plants."

Morning of the Twenty-Eighth Day | Azarad:

"Huh..."
Niradnam mused, "Still, to disappear, that's a fair amount of energy used just to avoid conversation." Looking down at where Rin was he groaned as she already was off on her way and started to place a guiding hand to the item he carried when he heard his name called out across the courtyard. Turning with a surprised expression he took in the large group that he recognized the majority of, unsure of the smaller scaled person, the panther, and the extra human that seemed to look as confused as he did.

Offering a smile as they all approached, "Well, I
am a student here Ander, I sort of live and work here ..." at the second question his smile faded, coughing lightly, "... and I'm not allowed to say anything on that matter." Seeing Virra run towards him at speed he shifted his stance, preparing for what he had learned to be her usual method of hugs by launching herself towards his shoulders, instead seeing her stumble and attempted to lower himself to catch her if she'd fallen. "You alright?" he asked, only to be interrupted by Rin's return.

Wincing briefly as Rin punched his leg he watched his elderly ward hug Virra only to roll his eyes as she compared him to Ander. "Someday you will use my actual name and not the nickname you've decided upon," he sighed. "Rinmerrion, these are people that I traveled with briefly before I was assigned as your guide," he worked through each of their names, but paused at Lestone and Terminus, "though it seems they've gained a few fellows?"

Lestone had trailed behind with Valerie, unsure who everyone was excited about -- trying to decide if it was the small gnome or the taller person. He murmured to Val on the way, "They seem awful excited, guessing this person's a friend?" Joining the rest of the group, he offered a hesitant wave to the scholar before kneeling to be closer on the level of Rin. "Hello, I take it you study nature then? Name's Lestone -- you could say I've got an interest in natural things too," he smirked.

Tyrius looked Niradnam up and down, carefully bringing Bookwyrm's egg into view from behind him, a red scaled egg that matched his own red hair. From the way Niradnam had his on view, it was likely it was already well known that some people had wyverns with them. As Niradnam mentioned that he couldn't explain what was going on, Tyrius wondered if there was a way to find out.

"Um, this is Terminus, a slaver hunter." said Tyrius by way of introduction for their new friend, "and his panther, Abrahms." Introductions out of the way, Tyrius decided to try and go for the obvious, "Are you sure you can't tell us anything? Is there anyone who can?" Tyrius then looked to the elderly woman that Niradnam had been guiding around, "How about you, Professor Bristlebloom?" asked Tyrius, assuming anyone who taught at Azarad was 'Professor' until he knew otherwise, "Could you tell us what's going on around here?"

"I'm fine," Virra answered Niradnam, a little sharply. With no time to prepare for the reunion, she had no idea what sort of tone to adopt. Should she be aloof and distant? Or open and friendly, like she didn't care how much of a clueless jerk Niradnam was? Heck, why did she care anyway? It wasn't like it mattered to him.

For a few moments, at least, she was saved from having to make a decision. The old woman's introduction left Virra equally uncertain of how to respond; she tended not to hang out with the elderly as a rule. They were always either too fusty and irritable or doddery and slow, and she always found them so... finished, almost, like they'd given up on trying to stir things around. But Rin seemed a little different than most. Virra gave her a smile that landed somewhere between nervous and indulgent. "Er, thanks. My name's Virra Hopalong Nickeltooth, and I... woah," she said, as she was suddenly pulled into a hug. Not to be a stick in the mud, she returned the woman's hug very loosely and gave her a couple of gentle pats on the shoulder before pulling away.

She's a dangerous one, she decided.

As Lestone and the others approached, Virra took the opportunity to pull herself together. "Yeah, this guy's Niradnam. He's the wizard who went hunting for that pearl with us," she said, putting her hands on her hips as she turned to face him and his elderly charge again. "And yeah, what Ty said. Can you tell us what's got everyone so wound up? Professor Pear or whatever didn't wanna give us the time of day."

Valerie's cheeks burned slightly at Virra's comments about her lie and she pulled her braid to the side, fidgeting with it. "Apologies Virra, I just had not expected to be using deceit so soon, especially in a place where we are attempting to avoid attention. I promise not to be caught off of my guard again." She followed after Tyrius and the others as he led the way through the school, gazing all around her in wonder at the sights of the campus. She briefly wondered what school she might have taken up residence in, before focusing on the strange mystery at hand. As everyone began talking about Niradnam, Valerie turned around and looked all around her in confusion as she looked for the secret elf. "Mr. Niradnam? Where?" Looking in the entirely wrong direction, it wasn't until Virra began to oddly run towards Niradnam that she noticed him, and Valerie smiled to him warmly as she turned and curtsied to him. "Mr. Niradnam, it is truly a pleasure to see you again!" Hearing Lestone, she murmured quietly under her breath. "Niradnam helped us recover the pearl that allowed us to negotiate for your freedom." As Virra added her own explanation, she nodded ernestly. "Yes, a wizard. Most certainly."

Looking to this new older female gnome, Valerie curtsied and smiled to her. "I am Valerie Rhitegast, it is absolutely wonderful to make your acquaintance, Madame Bristlebloom." At Tyrius's question, she nodded eagerly."Yes, what is it that is troubling this place? I hope that we can be of assistance."

Rin looks to Lestone as he kneels to get to her eye level and returns his smile with a warm one of her own. "You do? Wonderful, maybe we can talk about what you are interested in over tea soon. I do very much enjoy hearing from other scholars. Like I said before my dear, my specialty is plants. Specifically flowers but anything that grows in the ground I love." She pats his cheek very lightly in a motherly way.

However when Tyrius calls her professor she bursts out laughing, almost doubling up from mirth. After a few moments she wipes her eyes and grins up at him. "Oh lad no, I'm not a professor. I believe my full title is 'Visiting Expert' but little Nirry would probably know more than me about that. I just write books, mostly read by gardeners and druids I'm afraid. I'm not nearly interesting enough to be a professor, it's very sweet of you to say though." The elderly gnome bustles a little bit closer towards the group, getting a good look at them all.

She waves her hands dismissively as people start asking her questions. "Enough with the Madame and professor and all of that, please just call me Rin. Rinmerrion if you really must. I'm just an old woman who likes tea and gardening." She returns Valerie's curtsy with one of her own, proving remarkably spry for her age. "Valerie is a lovely name dearie, I think my daughter dated a Valerie once. Never got to meet the woman but that was before she married." There is a warmness and sincerity to her voice that anyone listening would be able to tell her deep love for family even from such a short sentence. She cups one hand over the other and in her covered hand rubs her index finger and her thumb together for a moment, whispering a few words in Sylvan as a flower slowly grows from behind the screen. It is a painfully delicate lightly pink rose with wide open petals and a light edging of white. She holds it up to Valerie with a very warm and emotional smile. "This is a rose that is commonly known as the Valerie Sweetheart. It's not as lovely as you are but I always find it nice to know the flowers we share names with."

"As for what is wrong, I honestly have no idea. I've been cramped up in these walls for days now with Nirry a step behind me everywhere I go."
She puts a hand to the side of her mouth and gives a particularly audible stage whisper. "When he can keep up that is!" Chuckling to herself she takes a moment before shrugging. "I've been trying to find out myself but no-one will tell an old woman anything."

Morning of the Twenty-Eighth Day | Azarad:

"Professor Parre,"
Niradnam corrected without seeming to think much of it. Rubbing his brow for a moment the scholar sighed, hearing the same question asked from multiple people all in a row. Eventually lowering his hand he instead clasped his hands before himself, "Look. We got permission to leave campus to go to the Ancient Star, a tavern that Rinmerrion wants to go to for tea and pastries. How about we head there and catch up on what's happened since we've seen each other last, hm? That way the Professor is happy you've left, Rinmerrion will stop trying to outrun me, and we can have a nice. Calm. Conversation. Yes?"

Anyone looking at him could tell he was worn out, even during the trip to and from the Thief's hoard he hadn't looked as stressed. "Does that sound agreeable? Something we can do? Please?" Waiting for signs of agreement he looked around the group, and for a moment sent Virra a message, "I don't know about you, but I've managed something new -- one good thing from being stuck chasing Rinmerrion I suppose."

Assuming he got such an agreement he started leading the group towards the Gate, "I'm guessing one of you has a scroll from the Professor, it's essentially a ... passport in a sense." Continuing he explained, "The Gate is one of the last Constructs Azarad himself made, intending for it to be protection both for the students, and the small city that was growing around its walls back then." Approaching, it didn't look too different from a gated entry one might see elsewhere, like at Wyford or even Emberhallow or Chilldrift: a tall stone structure, wide enough for two carts to pass side by side, however there didn't seem to be anything to block the entrance, looking like it could never be closed. Stepping closer however, people can notice a faint shimmer in the air from looking through it, and Nirandam brought up a hand, knocking against the transparent wall, causing ripples to emanate from the action.

"Hello, Student Niradnam, Graduate Tyrius, Cur ... Ex ... Student Eliza," the calm female sounding voice didn't seem to quite know what to say for the half-orc mage, but powered through anyway, "Extremely late Student Valerie and Guests." Niradnam glanced at Valerie for a moment then looked back at the Gate as it continued. "Quite a large group, so sad to see you all leave ... assuming you have a pass?"

The scholar looked towards the group, lowering his voice, "I assume one of you was given a scroll?" Meanwhile he reached around the egg on his hip, pulling out an Azarad pin that wasn't lit up at all. "I was given permission to take our guest Rinmerrion ..." he rolled his eyes briefly, "... out for tea and pastries at the Ancient Star."

A humming sound came from the gate before it spoke again, "Okay then, you're due back by sunset, later than that and the Hunters will be sent to check on you." Grimacing as he tucked the pin away, Nirandam muttered a "...great..." causing the gate to speak up, "What was that?"

Shaking his head he quickly replied, "Nothing, just thanking you for the warning." Waiting for whoever had the scroll to retrieve it, the process was much the same, however the message was different, the group being informed the scroll would glow when they were allowed entry once more.

Walking forward through the invisible wall, the scholar winced as the noise of the City came through at full force, given that it was morning it wasn't too overwhelming, but campus had a peaceful quiet within its walls. Realizing he was essentially a tourguide, he started walking backwards, Egnaro facing the other direction, allowing him to avoid bumping into people. "I know some of you have been here before, but I assume most haven't. Maybe you can feel it, but magic is nearly so thick here you can see it -- which often leads to things quickly getting out of hand if anyone tries something greater than a simple cantrip. Even those can get ... chaotic." Some of the stores they passed had brooms moving on their own sweeping the front steps, at one point two seemed to be pushing dust between themselves, each in front of a different store. "Magic is so prevalent here, it's stupidly simple to animate simple objects as well -- but don't expect them to work outside Azarad unless you paid a decent amount. If a magic item seems too good to be true, it is."

Turning back around to face forward, Egnaro found himself looking at the group. With a lick of his nose and a flick of his tail he adjusted himself and curled up facing forward as well.

Lestone seemed to take in the sights, surprised at the sheer amount of structure piled on each other. Nearest the gate, everything seemed to be component shops, book sellers and similar, parchment stores, but as Niradnam led the group further, it slowly became more typical shops, and the people passed were of many various races. Mostly humans crossed paths with the group, but here and there were halflings, a few dwarves, gnomes, even some tieflings and dragonborn, a handful of half-orcs. Large goliaths carried heavy bags of merchandise back and forth, at one point what looked like a humanoid cat and a dark feathered bird were deep in conversation, and there was at least one man that walked past that looked as Ander had within the cave -- a Firbolg.

Niradnam smiled as he went, "It's not a perfect place, but you can't deny it's an interesting one -- lots of people travel here even from other nations, even if they don't intend to be a student. The ... price can sometimes be a bit shocking to them." Eventually he led the party to what almost looked like a house with three floors, the only indication it was a business was the small Open card that hung from the door. A few rocking chairs sat outside by the door, a small table set between them, the door itself looked older and worn, but still cared for. The windows on the front of the building were clean, curtains pulled back on the inside, and the panes were open to allow a breeze to enter. Faint chatter had already begun inside, and the smell of fresh baked foodstuff wafted outwards.

Pushing open the door, the large group got quite a few looks but most eventually returned to their meals, majority tea cups or small mugs with dark liquid, most delicate plates held small pancakes with a syrup or honey on them, fruit on the side, others had bagels with eggs and bacon, a slice of cheese, some had muffins, and so on, breakfast items or small pastries. Some of the employees behind the bar caught sight of the party, their eyes widening -- the visible employees all seemed to be dragonborn, a scattering of chromatic and metallic scales. One that appeared female approached the group, her scales a soft shining silver, "Oh wow, this -- huh, big group. Okay. Uhh..." she started to look at the small tables meant for three at most, but Niradnam waved a hand.

"You have some of the private rooms, right? I think that's the only way we'll fit easily," he smirked, "Besides, I expect we'll be here for a little while, I don't think we'd want to use up so many of your tables for the morning rush."

Smiling the dragonborn seemed relieved, "Oh! Alright, yeah -- this way!" Stepping through the cramped area there were a few sighs of irritation at having to adjust to allow the group to pass, but soon enough they were led up stairs from the back and into a decent sized room, not too unlike the study of the Silverbane castle. Pulling a notepad from her apron the dragonborn waited as everyone seated themselves, be it at the table like from downstairs or on the various sofas and couches, the cushions comfortable and soft. "What can I get'cha? We've got basically any tea you can think of, various types of coffees, the ovens have been busy with all sorts of tasty things!" She licked her lips with a grin, "I should know, I sampled some of them already!"

With Niradnam clearly stressed out and offering to at least talk, especially considering they would eventually be heading off campus anyway, Tyrius smiled and said, "Yes." Though he was a little sad he wouldn't get to see the library again quite so soon after all, it did at least mean spending more time with the scholar. As the group moved to the gate, Tyrius smiled to Rinmerrion and kept pace with her, "Have you ever been to Porthca, Ms Rinmerrion?" asked Tyrius, thinking of a certain adorable awakened shrubbery, "There's a family there named the Defallians who I'm sure you'd love to meet." At the gate, Tyrius blushed a little as the Gate addressed him as Graduate Tyrius - though it was correct, Tyrius was both nostalgic for the days when it would've said Student Tyrius and hopeful that at some point he could find time to study at Azarad again. He also noticed the way that it addressed both Eliza and Valerie.

As Niradnam led the way and explained about how magic worked around the university, Tyrius zoned out a little. It was good to be back in familiar streets once again. The book shops in particular made Tyrius long to just curl up with a good book somewhere after Eliza's problems in Chilldrift were taken care of. Though that meant dealing with Azarad's problems first, which Tyrius wasn't sure what could have been so dangerous that the university faculty would start destroying its teleportation circles.

Upon entering the coffee shop and being led up to one of the private rooms, Tyrius decided to have a seat near a fireplace. Deciding to push the boat out from his usual habit of going for coffee all the time, Tyrius figured some tea would be appropriate. Thinking to himself, Tyrius decided on something sweet.

"Do you have some honey lemon tea and some jam donuts?" asked Tyrius with a smile to the grinning waitress.

Last edited:
With all the grabbing and hugging going on Mags felt strange, this new person was odd. Usually she liked odd but with everything else that had been going on lately she had become slow to trust. Whatever was going on with the school at hopefully they wouldn't have to negotiate a contract again. she had found it terribly boring last time, and had spent most of the talks daydreaming of what would happen if she cast a certain spell and stood on the Sea's face.

However the mention of pastries had caught her attention... partially, the other thing was the Niradnam not realising Viras feelings.

Hey Mags, do you think we should tell Mr. Wizard over there that he's got a shot with our short friend?

I dunno, maybe we can play match-maker over tea?
Well that is a fabulous idea... now the real question is who do we get to help us?
Silly brain, Yondalla will be all over this with us.
Wait if they had kids what would they look like? How tall would they be?

As they dealt with the "Gate," Mags couldn't help but snort at threat of hunters. Yeah like we've never had anyone try and hunt us down before we got away. Losers.

Skilfully manoeuvring around the private room, somehow Mags has managed to seat Vira next to Niradnam, who was leaning on the arms of a chair. Her plan was coming together beautifully.
The dragon born in the tea house made her smile, "You. I like you, and I like pastries! Bring us all the deliciousness! For we have liberated these two stuffy academics from the confines of books to have a good time. Sorry the gnome isn't the stuffy one, it's really just the tall one. Also coffee... with whiskey!" She gave Niradnam a playful wink. "So Niradnam, hows Azarad been? I know we've missed you terribly, Vira hasn't stopped talking about you."

Watching Rin as keenly as she would any newcomer and listening to the jokes she made at Niradnam's expense, Virra found herself smirking despite herself. Maybe the old biddy could be fun in some ways, after all.

She gave an enthusiastic nod at the idea of heading out to a pub, though it was accompanied with a theatrical eye-roll. "You gotta get permission to leave this place, too? Sounds like a riot," she said, her sarcasm masking the real unease that lay beneath. At least with Niradnam on hand she had an example to follow in how best to keep her abilities concealed. Feeling him shoot a telepathic message her way, she quickly went to answer it, then decided to wait several seconds before replying with a simple: "Cool, I'd like to see it." Yes, that was good. As they trekked down to the gate her attention was split between the university and the mystic-in-disguise who inhabited it, idly wondering how to raise the topic of the dream she had the other night. I still dream of you was exactly the tone she didn't want to set. But if she remembered correctly, he actually had responded while she observed him, so if he could remember feeling something similar... well, that would be a cause for a friendly academic conversation, wouldn't it? Still lost in thought, she glanced towards the back of Niradnam's head and felt her jaw drop.

He was still wearing his hair in the braid she'd given him.

Virra finally stopped staring when she felt her cheeks growing hot, deciding that the sights of Azarad would be a better target for her attention. Once they were beyond the gate she moved up to the front of the group, a new spring in her step as she soaked in the new locale. The smells, the people, the endless magic... it was yet another place she'd have been happy to settle down if she had a dozen lives to lead. Even walking into the pub was a treat for the eyes, though it promised even greater things for her stomach. Her mood was sufficiently cheered that she only shot Mags a mildly dirty look as the halfling pushed her into the seat with the best proximity to Niradnam, and she brightened up immediately as the dragonborn returned for their orders.

"Ooh, donuts sounds good," she mused. "We gotta have a little plate of those. Oh, and what kind of juices do you do? Do you have any specialty dishes?" The little interruption by Mags earned her another glare, but Virra played it off once again. "Well, yeah, I was saying forgot to tell you about a little theory I came up with," she explained to Niradnam. "You know, it's about magic, kinda. We can talk about it later."

Still smiling, she opened a mental link with her halfling pal. "Mags, you know I could kill you in your sleep and no-one could ever prove it was me?"

"Virra, I think we both understand the Niradnam is as think as this table when it comes to your feelings. So I will not apologise for trying to help a sister out with her mister. Besides when you have a baby you can name it after me."

More giggling to herself, it was fun to play matchmaker to your two social inept friends.

"Yes donuts! Lots of donuts!"

Valerie giggled in response to Rin's compliments. "Thank you, erm, Mrs. Rinmerrion. I unfortunately believe that I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting your daughter, although I do suspect that she may be a little ahead of me in maturity if she is already married." Hearing Rinmerrion talk about her family brought back memories of Grandfather and the rest of her own family. Marriage... Grandfather likely would have me entertaining suitors by now if not for what happened... he always was such a careful man, I suspect he would have liked to take his time to find a suitable match. Her warm smile briefly slipped slightly, betraying a bit of sadness in the young warlock's expression. It brightened up, however, as she watched the gnome use her magic to grow a beautiful flower and present it to her. She smiled enthusiastically and clapped her hands before eagerly taking the flower. "Mrs. Rinmerrion, that is an absolutely wonderful talent that you have. Thank you so much, for your compliments and your gift!" Taking the flower, she gave it a sniff before having a thought. She rolled her wrist and a small pair of glittering white scissors materialized in her hand, which she used to snip the stem of the rose, which she then tucked into her hair. Smiling, she then nodded her acceptance to Niradnam. "Of course, Mr. Niradnam. That sounds lovely. I have our scroll with us, so it should not be an issue."

Walking through the school and over towards the gates, Valerie presented the scroll and was surprised by the magical voice that began to address the students. As it came to her, she briefly burned crimson before offering an apology. "I am so terribly sorry about that, I got lost on my way to the school and wound up traveling the full length of the continent! Perhaps Grandfather should have included more cartography in my prior education." She laughed and quickly walked through the gate.

Looking all around her at the sights outside of the school proper, Valerie was amazed by all of the incredible things she saw. Brooms that worked themselves, all sorts of rare and exotic races, magical shops and component shops and almost certainly an alchemy shop mixed in there somewhere... it was absolutely amazing! Valerie briefly felt a little disappointed that she had eschewed her change to attend the university here, but a brief look around her at her new friends and the man that she had been charged with rescuing told her that she had made the right decision. Entering the Ancient Star, Valerie caught the scent of fresh pastries and delicious coffee and felt her stomach rumble. She happily followed after Niradnam and reaching the private room, took a seat at the table next to Rin, eager to get to know the interesting older gnome. She also made sure to save a seat for Lestone next to her, knowing that he still likely felt uncomfortable around the party, and allowed Wayne Junior to hop from the strap of her bag onto the back of her chair, stroking the falcon on the head. She smiled warmly to the dragonborn. "Hello, may I please have a pumpkin spice latte to drink, and chocolate muffin to eat? Oh, and I am so terribly sorry for my rudeness, but I believe that I forgot to inquire after your name. I am Valerie, it is a pleasure to meet you." She smiled to her warmly before Wayne Junior cawed, and the noble giggled. "Oh yes, Wayne Junior would like a platter of bacon, raw if it were permissible but I understand if that were not allowed."

Last edited:
Rin smiles warmly at the compliment from Valerie before turning to look at Tyrius when he speaks. “Porthca? Aye lad I’ve been there a few times. Mostly as a stop over to taking a ship back to Shoria.” She laughs a little at his mention of nobles and lightly pats his forearm. “A noble family is not going to be interested in the likes of a little author like myself young man, they have far more important things to do.” Her response does not have any malice towards nobility at all, merely more of a happy acceptance. As Valerie puts the flower in her hair she beams with pride and as they walk towards the gate spends the time talking about the flower itself and the different varieties of the sweetheart rose. “-and that is why you don’t water them every day you see. That one in your hair will… oh.” She stops as the gate speaks and Valerie goes a little red, giving the younger woman a motherly smile she walks alongside her as they leave. “People only call you late if they don’t have enough patience to wait. You follow your own path dear, don’t let anyone else define it for you. Not a school or a person, only your heart.”

As they wander through the city the gnome is accompanied by the steady clack of her staff, it doesn’t seem like she needs anyone to wait for her at all as she moves at almost the head of the group clearly knowing her way. The magic of the city doesn’t seem to amaze her, especially given her time to and from the city over the centuries. She nods along to Niradnam’s lecture, not really paying attention as she focuses her thoughts on the new people around her. When he mentions the price she chuckles wryly to herself and mutters to no-one really in particular. “You are telling me, the shock of that first bill when Alli came here. Almost put a gnome in her grave.”

When they get to the cafe Rin grins like the cat who had got the cream and bustles her way inside, moving to the private rooms as soon as Niradnam even started to mention it. “Wonderful, wonderful. They do the most delightful nibbles here, a real treat for your tongue.” She makes herself comfortable around the table and rests her staff next to her, the carved peach petals seeming to shine with a very subtle inner light. As everyone comes in and sits down she waves them all in enthusiastically, very happy to have Valerie sitting beside her and saying hello to the very lovely hawk in her gnomish way.

Her smile gets even bigger as the young dragonborn waitress comes in and she taps the table excitedly. “My, my. It’s been… oooh it must be over thirty years since I was last here. We celebrated my daughter’s graduation here, it is her favourite place in the entire city.” Looking up at the dragonborn she ponders for a second. “I don’t know if you still do it, but you used to make a wonderful little peach parcel. I would very much like one of those if you have it and a hot cocoa please.” She looks around the group and hears Mags’ comment about stuffy academics, she laughs heartily and nods. “Poor little Nirry has been complaining so much these last few days that he deserves to be cheered up, that’s a wonderful idea. Please, bring a tray of a selection of everything you have.” With the order given Rinmerrion sits back a little, seemingly content with how everything is going.

Last edited:
Mid-Morning of the Twenty-Eighth Day | Azarad | The Ancient Star:

Filling her notepad quickly with the order, she nodded at each request, glancing up at Valerie's question of her name. Smiling once more she replied, "Atoria's my name -- I'll try to get this all out for ya, drinks'll probably be first though, put in quite the order for the ovens." She looked around the room, "Who will be ... paying ...?"

Niradnam raised his hand, "I'll cover the bill, if you've got any teas with caramel or vanilla, that would be preferred for myself."

Atoria nodded, turning the notepad to write in the margins, "Yeeep, got it, and some raw bacon -- sure." Glancing up at the hawk she laughed, "You're ordering from a staff of dragons, we're always gonna have some meat on the menu." With a sweeping bow she skipped out of the room, Niradnam followed towards the door, drawing a circle just above the door handle with a finger, then motioned as though he was closing a lock. Moving across the room he did the same to the large windows, then closed the curtains.

"Private rooms come with ... ways to prevent spying, and I cannot stress this enough that this conversation is not to wander out of this room," walking back to where he had sat on the chair he gently removed his bag, setting it and its contents on the table, Egnaro hopping from his shoulders to keep guard, watching Wayne Jr. warily. Glancing down at Rin he frowned, "I have ... not been complaining. I've been trying to work within the boundaries given to me and you cannot claim to have made that easy for me. The times I'm not chasing after you through the hallways, I've been aiding in patrolling the campus grounds, what little time I'm not on that duty, I've been trying to rest and what little time I'm not doing that I've been trying to work on my own research!" As he continued his voice got louder until he finished, sitting down hard on the arm of the chair with a sigh. "... sorry. I have been run ragged and that's ... it's not great. The Professors are trying to keep everything quiet to prevent panic, so that means only a few of us are kept knowledgeable and we're forced to stay silent to anyone else." Niradnam paused with a hand to his chin.

Eventually he looked around the room to the party, "You all ... in the short time we traveled together, and the ... events of the cave, I do trust you. As such, I think I'm willing to do this, at least for today." Taking a deep breath: "There have been monsters appearing on guild grounds -- attacking faculty...!" his words were cut off as he doubled over, clutching his head as he choked, whimpering slightly. Egnaro seemed to shudder as he looked towards his master, giving a painful yowl as the scholar slowly sat up more, eyes barely open as blood trailed from his nose and ears and his hands shook. "Gods ..." he whispered, "that hurt ... so much ..." Reaching for the small dreamcatcher that hung from his hip, he trailed a finger along its side and made motions with his other hand, the blood flaking away from his face and disappearing into the air. "Geas ... is not one to mess with," he smiled faintly, before gesturing for Virra to scoot over so he could fall into the couch, holding a hand over his eyes to block out light.

"That's ... why I've been dodging questions, Rinmerrion ... because I have to. The others and I were Geas'd not to talk about it ... or this ... this would happen. 've got till tomorrow mornin' ... until my lips are sealed again." Niradnam peered painfully from behind his hand, "I like you all ... but not enough to do this often ..."

Lestone had sat quietly, almost meekly during this whole conversation so far but at hearing the word Geas, his expression hardened. "How dare they use such a spell on their own, it's cruel and damaging."

Idly waving a hand, Niradnam replied, "Cuz' ... they're panicking. Nothing should ... get through th' wards ... so someone's doin' it from the inside ... 'S why it's so hard to get in'an'out and the Circles were destroyed ..."

Rin listens as Niradnam gets more and more annoyed, giving him a gentle smile in return and shrugging a little. “I didn’t ask you to keep up with me lad, I said I’m perfectly safe on my own. And you have to admit you have been a little whiney, as good as your company has been.” She smirks and chuckles a little to herself. Teasing Niradnam was truthfully only so fun because he got so defensive about everything. She is hoping that it will break through some of his walls soon and let him relax a little as he has been nothing but uptight since she met him, still it is fun watching the steam blow from his ears.

However when he doubles over in pain she immediately reaches out for his arm. “Niradnam dear?” She frowns with worry and in a heartbeat her hand makes a swirling gesture in the air and she mutters a few phrases in druidic. Above the table an ethereal flower erupts into bloom, showering the area around Niradnam and a few others with translucent petals that slowly drift through the air. The pale flower, a duck-egg blue in colour, hovers above the table for about a minute radiating a gentle healing energy. "Here, this should help a little. Take a few breaths and let yourself calm down." The elderly gnome gently patting his arm as she tries to soothe him, genuine care in her voice.

It is only after he appears to heal a little that she addresses what he had said. "Never in all my years of coming here and hearing stories, from my husband and my daughter, have I heard of monsters inside the university. Are they..." She stops for a moment and shakes her head a little. "Rest first, we can talk about specifics later." As she leans back and takes her hand away she seems to focus inward and the flower fades out as the last of the petals drop, almost forgetting everyone else is there and muttering to herself in gnomish. "<A Geas? Dreadfully powerful but dangerous it could... Well if that is what is needed... Unpleasant to force on nice boys like... Wonder if they are bestial or... Could prove interesting... Doesn't help with... Oh screw the book for the moment.>"

In her mercy, VIrra refrained from issuing Magnolia a sharp mind-crush upside the head. Everyone had already moved on anyway, and she was having a grand time thinking about the brunch they were about to receive instead. Niradnam's claim that he'd foot the bill was met with a dismissive nod. "Nuh-uh. We can pay our own way," she said, unable to understand why a guy constantly being bilked for his magic tuition would toss his money at other people like that. Still, she didn't push the issue too hard, largely because she wanted to get to the part where he explained what was going on. So she eagerly nodded her agreement to keeping the conversation secret, and then...

Her ash-dark skin turned a shade paler as Niradnam doubled over in pain, blood dripping from his nose and ears. "What the heck did you --" she started, then shut herself up and scooted away as directed, though she didn't move far once he was settled on the couch. "Mags, don't just sit there! Do your thing!" she shouted, turning her head to find the halfling. Instead, her eyes landed on the floewr that drifted above the table. The effect it had was similar to the healing magics she'd felt from both Ander and Mags, though this one had a different... flavour, almost. It was as familiar as a breeze, and the power it held was drawn out over time, yet she knew by instinct that it would do the trick. She eyed Ren just briefly, then leaned over Niradnam from behind to look him in the face. Unlike the old woman, she wasn't above talking specifics right the heck now.

"What kind of monsters?" she asked in a low voice, as if speaking loudly might bring the pain back. "D'you think you know who might be summoning them? Is there a list of suspects?" She took a breath, her fingers digging into the seat of the couch. "Fair warning, Niradnam, if you don't tell me which one of those grit-sucking wizards put the Geas on you, I'm gonna shoot 'em all just to be safe."

Blearily watching the flower shift through the air, Niradnam raised a shaky hand towards it, feeling the healing power move through him and ease the pain, his hand growing more steady as it faded. He smiled weakly at Rin, "Oh so I just need to injure myself ... for you to use my proper name?"

He started to shake his head only to wince and bring a hand back to his brow, "No ... monsters are not something that should show up on campus at all ..." His dual-color eyes were visible between his fingers as he looked at Virra, "All kinds, they've been becoming stronger as time goes by ... at first it was a few harpies, a small flock of hippogriffs ... one day it was a small army of mimics, they'd replaced the seats in a teacher's lounge ..." Niradnam sighed, "Just the other day there was a pack of basilisks, thankfully no one was petrified, but ... it just means the next things to show up are probably just going to be worse."

Sliding down into the seat more he let his hand fall to the side as he sat with his eyes closed, "The faculty are blaming each other and accusing one another ... the different Schools are accusing the Colleges, the Colleges blaming the Schools, and of course, by its own virtue of existing, nearly everyone is leaning on the Conjuration professors the hardest ... everyone's got their suspects, but ... I don't know, I can't see any of the faculty having a reason to do this. Why damage their own institution? Livelihood?" Sitting silently for a moment he added, "Oh, mm, the one that cast Geas ... please don't shoot them. They're Professor Cruveus Oqill, an archmage of Enchantment and ... one of my overseers. One of the few that
know, I couldn't ... I couldn't really say no."

Tyrius grinned to Rin, thinking of how down to earth the Defallian's had been, "I'm not sure the Defallian's would agree with that." said Tyrius with a grin, "They're pretty interested in agriculture, they've even got a small awakened shrubbery."

As Niradnam started to explain, Tyrius wondered why Niradnam sounded like he'd been running ragged for a month or more. Though as Niradnam grabbed his head and Egnaro started yowling, Tyrius shot up out of his chair before he realised there wasn't anything he could do. He was no healer, he'd only get in the way of those who could heal Niradnam for the moment.

Tyrius sat back down once the initial shock of what had happened to Niradnam wore off. He felt utterly useless that he couldn't do anything in the immediate aftermath, but at least there were no shortage of people around him that could do something about Niradnam's wounds. Tyrius nodded in agreement with Lestone - Geas was barbaric, and little better than the enchanted chains they were setting out to break. Still, Tyrius could see why the faculty had resorted to using Geas to enforce an omerta. The fact that Niradnam was willing to take them into his confidence, even knowing the cost, spoke volumes about his trust in them.

"Niradnam, we're only here by chance," explained Tyrius. "We came looking for an easy route to Chilldrift." Tyrius left it at that, "Even so - if someone's attacking the university from within, it's only a matter of time before someone gets killed." Tyrius looked around the room, "And it is our quickest shot at getting to Chilldrift." Tyrius looked to the table in front of them and smiled.

'It's just like when we arrived in Porthca,' thought Tyrius to himself, 'We've left one mystery behind and stumbled onto another one.'

Tyrius looked up to Niradnam, his eyes showing determination but the rest of his expression was softer. "I'm guessing if we get involved, either we're going to be making things very awkward for you with the faculty since you talked, or we're the next in line for Geas, right?" stated Tyrius. There wasn't any accusations in his tone, merely a blunt acknowledgement of the risk of getting involved. "So, aside from innuendo about Conjuration did it or whichever Professor isn't so popular this week did it, what's actually happened and when?" Tyrius almost reached for his diary then thought better of it.

'Chances are, we're going to have to do this from memory alone,' thought Tyrius grimly, 'No notes, no records.'

"One good thing," said Tyrius, "Though I'd imagine the faculty already checked with the Gate who'd gone through it around the times of the attacks."

Rin reaches over and clips Niradnam lightly across the back of his head and wags a finger at him. "Firstly lad, don't make fun of someone who is worried about you. Secondly where are your manners? All these nice people are worried about how you are doing and you don't say thank you to them?" She tuts to herself. "Can't you see how worried lovely Virra is?" Light scolding over, her voice changes back to motherly and warm and her hand moves from disapproving finger wagging to lightly patting his arm. "How are you feeling now? The flower should have taken away the worst of your pain but magical healing is no real replacement for rest and care."

For a moment Rin looks over towards Tyrius, taking notice of his quick but fruitless attempt to help. She gives him a gentle smile. "Chance is often the best card that fate can play to get you to the right place dearie. Chilldrift hm? Interesting." She taps a finger against her lip as she thinks for a moment.

Dragging herself away from whatever thought she was caught up in, the elderly gnome focuses her attention back on Niradnam and what he is saying. "Harpies, mimics, basilisks? None of those are beasts that's interesting. A lot of creature based magic tends to focus on more animalistic things, wolves or bears or the like. This doesn't have the feel of natural magics, or likely the bard colleges. I have some experience of those with my daughter and my husband and I don't think monster summoning really fits everything I know of them. However Tyrry is right, there will be a lot of infighting among the schools for this but it feels more like an outsider perhaps. Someone that wants to discredit things."

"I'm sorry but are you telling me..." Mags had a look of absolute dumbfounded annoyance about her. "That your super duper spectacular magic school hasn't just thrown the senior faculty, or anyone they suspect, in a zone of truth and questioned them?"

I don't know about you magsy but these seem like pretty terrible wizards if you ask me... Wait what if it's because they are secretive jerks?

well that shouldn't matter when people's lives are on the line should it?

says the woman with a secret.

well yes but they are not going to ask about that...

at this point they could tell the negrastier and I would care. Let them come.

After another bout of internal dialogue slowed down enough. She stopped to appreciate that the elderly gnome had joined her in the nefarious plot. The plot to throw Vira and Niradnam together. Looks like she wasn't that bad after all.

At Rin's strike, Niradnam winced then sighed, "Thank you all for your concern ... Rinmerrion's right about that, I shouldn't forget to show my appreciation." Pausing, "I do feel better, there's still the lingering throbbing from spell, it should fade in time."

"I don't think they know if I ... triggered the spell or not, but it's going to be hard for me to say anything once it resets."
Niradnam slightly opened his eyes to look at the noble mage, "If you don't say anything, they won't have to worry about casting it on you." Before he was about to answer Tyrius' question there was a light knock on the door. Grunting as he pushed himself off of the sofa he motioned around the door again, a faint shimmer of runes then opened it. "Oh," he muttered before opening it more to allow the dragonborn from before entry to the room to set the drinks and tea kettles, placing down heated stones on the table.

Smiling happily, Atoria commented, "These stone things are pretty neat -- they'll keep the kettles nice and warm for the tea, your food will be here shortly!" Bowing she made her retreat, the scholar closing the door again behind her and sealing it.

Sitting again, Niradnam worked on pouring tea and handing out cups, "You're right again with the creatures being summoned, or at least appearing. It's why everyone's panicking even more ... no one understands how they could be appearing." Taking a sip of his own tea, "The creatures have at least been consistent in appearing at night, but their placement appears to be random as far as we can tell. Possibly the only good thing so far has been that it's stayed within campus grounds and not occurred in the city itself." Nodding as he placed the cup down, "Yes the Gate has been checked, no one's gone in or out during the times, at least they we can tell. It wasn't happy about our thoughts on someone getting around it."

Sighing he leaned back into the sofa, "Mages cannot use that sort of spell, though bards can, but ..." he grimaced, "The professors for schools of magic don't exactly trust nor place a lot of faith in professors of the bardic colleges. Asking a cleric or paladin to step in just lets more know the university is having issues and it's a whole pride-thing."

Terminus and Abrahms have been watching and listening to all of this going on. Abrahms tries to get Egnaro to play, but for some reason he doesn't seem interested. She even tries pulling out her favorite squeaky mouse (a rat that has been modified with a bladder and a whistle) and even her ever special bag of good stuff (catnip). Disappointed, she collects her items and heads over to Terminus, looking for a head rub.

"Ssso, they are hesssitant to admit they need help. Maybe not that wissse after all."

Ander looked to Terminus and nodded. He rolled his eyes and grumbled, "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." His accent was barely there, as if he had practiced that phrase exactly that way. "We're here anyway. There ain't no good reason ta keep us from at least helpin' out. I won't judge them havin' a problem... that is, unless they decide not to use all resources available." With that, he gestured around to the others, smiling.

"Wissse wordsss."
Terminus thinks for a moment, "While I am anxiousss to find the ssslaversss, I alssso cannot ssstand by if there are wrongsss to be righted."

Tyrius listened as Niradnam explained more about the situation in Azarad while Terminus and Ander gave their thoughts on it. The way that Abrahms appeared to be trying to play with Egnaro made Tyrius wonder what the wyvern hatchlings would be like. Whether they'd want to constantly play together or if they'd be happier spending time with their adopted parent.

With Magnolia suggesting something, Tyrius looked to the checkers fanatic. "So, how's a Zone of Truth work?" asked Tyrius, intrigued as he was sure that wasn't one of the spells in his spell book or in his mother's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread