Porthca Landing III: Burned Bridges & Broken Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valerie did not know what to say in the conversation. Most of the others were far more magically capable than she, and when discussing the topic of slavery, the young well-raised noble girl did not have a clue what to say without sounding entirely foolish in front of Magnolia, who had to suffer through the experience for a great deal of time. A saying of her Grandfather's came to mind as Valerie listened to the conversation. A good speaker always knows what to say, but a great speaker knows that there are times when it should be nothing.

As the magical doorway opened and the finely dressed human mage stepped out from it, however, Valerie's eyes widened slightly at the magical display before they focused on his mage pin. Wow... this man truly must be quite powerful. Valerie waited for the moment to be able to politely introduce herself to the man but unfortunately, it seemed that the mood had rapidly turned sour as the wizard's eyes fell on Lestone. Seeing the sparks begin to fly, Valerie quickly took a few steps forward to interject herself into the situation. "Pardon me Master Accmour, but if I may-" The warlock's nerves rose as she stood slightly too close for comfort, but she gave the man a look that held a hint of contrition.. "My deepest apologies for the interruption, Master, but I do not believe that we have had the pleasure. My name is Valerie Rhitegast, and I served a key role in helping to negotiate a manner to instill a measure of order in the Sea's antics. I say this not to boast, but to beg of you this one request."

Valerie took half a step back and gestured towards Lestone with her right hand, the ring on her finger almost seeming to be tugging her slightly as she did so. "The story to this man, Lestone, is truly a tragic tale. He was a man that sought only to help the people of Porthca, but was betrayed by the Sea's misinterpretation of a contract he made on the behalf of the city and was left to rot for centuries bound entirely to her will. The only debt that I personally would ask of you is compassion for a victim that suffered just the same as those bound by that foul magical creation on the table there, forced to serve as the Sea's personal executioner. Has he not suffered enough as is?" Soft, hazel brown eyes looked up imploringly to Master Accmour as Valerie awaited his response, now feeling a hint of concern for her own life as well as Lestone's.

Virra quit muttering to herself almost immediately after Mags began to speak, and found herself becoming increasingly affected by the halfling's words despite herself. The mention of exotic prisoners, explicitly including Niradnam in that category, struck a particular chord with her. She squinted at Mags. Did she say that on purpose?

No, it didn't matter. Virra hadn't needed convincing of the evils of slavery and these magic-forged manacles before, and she didn't need it now. All she needed was a way to make her jovial friend a bit less upset, and then to find out what everyone wanted to do about the whole issue of slavery. Would they settle for finding Ander's family and keeping the chains out of Okesh, or did they have a bigger goal in mind? Virra could sense things shifting in that direction, and she had yet to figure out how she felt about it. "Hey," she spoke into Mags's mind after a moment to think. "I don't know if you want to talk about it, but... at some point when we're both free, I wanna hear more about what happened to you in Negrastir. Only if you're okay to tell me, though." Maybe it wasn't right to get on her case about it now, but she wanted to get in there before things moved on. Mags was more interesting than Virra had imagined, and if she knew a little more about her situation, maybe she could restore her to her normal, happy self.

She parked those thoughts as Enol Accmour himself arrived -- a tall man who Virra didn't really remember, but was still gratified to know he'd heard of her group. He seemed to already be prepared to help them out, too, which made things all the sweeter. But of course it wouldn't be that simple. As his attention turned to Lestone, Virra clasped her head and let out a low groan. They hadn't even stopped to consider that almost everyone of note in Porthca would recognise Lestone and have beef with him. It made her extremely glad that they had Valerie along to soften the blow with earnestness. "She's right," she put in, tilting her head towards the noblewoman. "Everything Lestone did for the Sea was because she literally stole his soul and forced him to act with her magic. Now that he's free, he's the same man he was when he was fighting for Porthca's safety from that wannabe goddess's hissy fits." She clapped the ancient man on the back, even as her expression remained serious. "You can test him with truth-telling magic if you're not convinced. He's a decent person, and we'll all vouch for it."

Tyrius gave Master Enol a polite nod in greeting as the archmage arrived again. Tyrius was about to say that was what they were after when Enol brought up Lestone's past. As Valerie and Virra stated their support, Tyrius moved so he was a little closer to Lestone.

"My friends are right, Master Enol," said Tyrius carefully. He'd already angered Benito, the red headed sorcerer was not after angering any more Porthcans but equally he was going to stand up for his friends. "Lestone was not acting of his own volition. The Sea even admitted as such. He was as much a slave as those who are forced to wear those abominations." Tyrius motioned towards the manacles. Deciding to try and turn the tide of the conversation away from Lestone's past towards the group's goal for the moment, Tyrius added, "Please, can you help us?" while he placed his hand on Lestone's right shoulder.

Noon of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca | The Aedon House:

Enol couldn't entirely keep the grimace off his face even as the trio came to Lestone's defense, staring at the elemental figure. With faint tears in his eyes he made a quick gesture as an image appeared to his side of a young girl, dark haired but with a wide smile, a small flame in her palm and looking up excitedly. Glaring at Lestone he asked, "Do you recognize her."

His gaze already on the image, Lestone's expression fell, "... I do." Approaching the illusion he bowed his head, "Please ... please know it was not my desire to take any lives, especially those of the young." Hearing the movement of heavy sleeves he glanced up just in time to see the rising fist of Enol meet his face through the illusion, a small rumble of thunder cracking out at the connection. Taking a step back, Lestone held a hand over his nose, what looked like shimmery blue blood streaked from it, quickly dissipating into the air like a mist. "I see ... I think I'll go ... look at those elemental books in the corner. Maybe I'll ... learn something about myself." Placing his hand back, he wandered off slowly.

Pulling his hand back and rubbing the knuckles, Enol watched him go, then looked back at the others. "When you have children someday, you'll understand. I did not banish him, I did not kill him, but I still could not let him leave untouched after he took my little Marie from me -- Sea or not."

Watching the scene from her lowered height, Magnolia almost seemed to follow Lestone before hearing the telepathy echoing around in her mind, turning until she caught sight of Virra. Looking away for a moment she eventually replied, "I don't think I'll ever truly be okay to tell anyone, but it needs to be said to help people. To protect people from having it happen to them." With a smile she added, "Maybe if you manage to beat me in checkers?"

Returning to the manacles, Enol sat on the edge of the table, "I should apologize for my behavior in front of a Rhitegast, but I think I made my reasoning clear. Regardless, I believe I can fashion something akin to what you're asking for. I cannot, however, promise it will work on all chains, given my sample is rather small and I expect my time will be limited. Groups like yours rarely linger very long." Tucking his hands into his sleeves he stared off to the distance for a few seconds then seemed to focus back on the group, "I could make one of two options: an amulet that focuses the retribution of broken chains onto the wearer, or a key that forcefully breaks the chains." Before anyone could speak he raised a hand, "I warn: the amulet will likely reach its limit eventually and shatter, since I have no idea if all chains will have the same level of power or control imbued into them. The Key will have a chance that it instead shatters and its own energies combine with the manacles ... making in a sense a fireball of pure magical energy. I cannot promise what it would do, but I can tell you it would not be pleasant for anyone involved."

Holding his hands out on either side, "These are the options I can manage given the short time I expect I'd have. If I had longer, I could perhaps perfect them more."

Hearing her friends come in to assist her in defending Lestone, Valerie's apprehension faded slightly as she grew more and more sure of her case. Watching as the wizard conjured up an illusion of a girl that she presumed had met a grim end, the noble girl covered her mouth in shock as she watched the archmage's fist collide with Lestone's jaw. Staring wide-eyed at the display of violence, it took Valerie a few seconds to regain her composure afterwards. Swallowing back her shock, Valerie lowered her hand back down, although her eyes were not quite able to meet the Master Accmour's. "I am very, truly sorry for the loss you experienced, Master Accmour, but..." She stopped herself, realizing that continuing would lead nowhere good. What is done is done... Valerie bowed her head slightly, her voice quiet. "Very clear... and I assure you that there is no offense taken." For an accomplished liar, Valerie's tone was not particularly convincing. She took a few steps back to rejoin her friends and was silent after, having a hard time focusing on the conversation in the wake of the burst of aggression.

"Oh...Mags!" Eliza didn't have any idea what to say to the halfling but enveloped the cleric in a tight hug instead. "These manacles were awful enough before hearing about their history." She pulled away when she saw Master Accmour and self consciously pushed her empty Azarad pin deeper in her pocket and nudged her way behind Ander again and out of the master's scrutinizing gaze. Grimacing, she looked away as Lestone was struck and felt conflicted again. When did everything get so complicated? Chewing her lower lip, she peeked out from behind the paladin-shield then hesitantly followed Lestone to the books and further away from Enol. "So...do you like books?" She pushed on through the awkward, "...Did you have books so long ago?" She asked lamely as she poked a soaked, squishy book nearby.

As the crack of Enol's punch resounded through the room, Virra flared up. "Hey, there's no need for--!" she started, then read the mood of the room. What Enol said was right; he hadn't killed Lestone, and he was still willing to help them after they brought his daughter's killer to see him face to face. Would she have reacted much better? It was rare for Virra to feel at all self-reflective, but she found it difficult to imagine. Still, she unconsciously raised a hand to her nose in sympathy for the ex-revenant, and gave Eliza a grateful nod as she followed after him.

Magnolia's response to her message helped to bring her smile back. "You're on." Maybe Virra could get her something nice when she went shopping -- an onyx checkerboard, maybe, or some groan-worthy joke book. In the meantime, though, they needed whatever Enol could rustle up to break those evil chains. "Well, a fireball of pure magical energy sounds pretty bad," she said, "and so does 'focusing the retribution of broken chains back onto the wearer'. I have no idea what that last one means, but if it's the wearer of the amulet that you're talking about, I think that's what we should go for." She looked towards the others for support. "Right? It's better for one of us to get hurt than maybe killing whoever's trapped in the chains, I think."

Ander nodded to Virra, "Yes, my thoughts exactly. I'd rather save folks from more torture when I save 'em." He thought for a moment, scratching his beard as he did. "We could leave this here, and bring back any other chains we run into. That way you'd have more experience with 'em, and maybe we could have a better shot at makin' an option that fixes 'em all. Does that sound alright, sir?" He was still clearly tired, but he smiled at the mage regardless, just happy to have something that felt like a win with these cursed chains.

Seeing Enol strike Lestone, Tyrius winced but said nothing. Master Enol's tears and grimace showed that they'd already pushed things far for a grieving father. Instead Tyrius just kept his eyes down, not wishing to meet Lestone's for the moment. As Master Enol explained about the options available to them on such a short-term basis, either a skeleton key or an amulet, Tyrius nodded in agreement with Virra.

"That's very true." said Tyrius, looking towards Master Enol, "Master Enol, is it as if having produced one of those amulets, another could be produced in time?" asked Tyrius, aware from his days at Azarad that properly enchanting an item was a complicated process that could take many weeks or months to complete properly. "Or potentially a less destructive key?" Tyrius smiled as Ander spoke up, it wasn't much but having a means to break the chains when they could without risking people who'd been enslaved seemed to him like the right thing to do.

Magnolia returned Eliza's hug with one of her own, though her smaller arms couldn't entirely reach around the half-orc mage, finally releasing her as she watched Eliza head off towards Lestone who was ambling around the bookshelves, at times nursing his bruised jaw. He looked down at Eliza's question and chuckled, "I'm not old enough for books to not exist. My mother sure, some of my oldest siblings maybe, but not me. I think I'm probably among the youngest ..." Watching her finger press into one of the soft books he continued, "I ... actually wondered if any of my siblings were written about in these." Lestone scratched his head, "Seemed better than staying by the archmage ... I can survive a lot, but I don't think I want to test him."

Listening to the group, Enol explained, "It would mean that any of the magical force expelled when someone tries to break the chains forcefully, and normally strikes out at the wearer of the chains, the amulet would draw that energy away and towards the person wearing it." He gestured towards the manacles, "If you leave these here, I can assign a Mage to investigate them further in the meantime and see what can be done."

Turning towards Tyrius at his question, "It will take time for either method, but I suppose once at least one has been made, the methods could be improved upon."

"I would ask how it felt like to have siblings but I suppose your experiences won't be the norm." She picked up one of the earthy books and tried to leaf through it, "The material looks dense." She said as she surreptitiously wiped her dusty hands on one of the watery books. "I guess you can read then...Umm, so who would you like to read about?" She asked getting into Research-Mode.

"No, I doubt they would be,"
Lestone replied with a smile, followed by a short laugh at Eliza's comment on the book. Turning back to the shelf he placed his hands on his hips as he looked the offerings over, "Hmm ... not entirely sure. Perhaps my mother's 'firstborn', I'd be curious how people have recorded her, if at all. Her name was Sieliah, and she was like living lightning -- the first living creation of the eternal storm." Staring towards the books that seemed to have fog emanate from them, "If these seem to match the elements inside and out, I think those would be the most likely choice."

Listening intently to Master Enol, Tyrius was slightly away with the faeries as he realised that with the time it would take, they also had a means to record what they found out about the manacles from their travels - the number of diaries he'd distributed amongst the group. He'd intended them to just be for Elizabeth, to have some sort of inspiration for her stories and songs. There was no reason they couldn't server that purpose and the purpose of being a record of their research into the cursed manacles.

"Master Enol, when we're using either the key or the amulet, is there anything in particular we should keep an eye out for -" asked Tyrius, "so that when another is made for instance there's a way to work out what would be most beneficial to alter?" Tyrius was suddenly very aware of the fact that he was talking in complete circles, "I've got a diary I can use to keep notes of what happens to the key or the amulet when we use them, so if there's anything you can recommend we keep a note of to help improve the devices you've so graciously suggested."

With a snap, Eliza had her wand out and had already conjured up a shimmering dark-blue hand. The hand flashed a quick thumbs up to Lestone then reached out for the books. "I am always down for a quick spot of reading." The spark had returned to her eyes as she instructed the hand to set down the books on the nearest table. "I think we have a solid 10 minutes before the group comes looking for us." And with that, the half-orc rolled up her sleeves and got down to business, first by scanning their titles and sorting out the ones that seemed most promising before leafing through the pages like a maniac trying to catch any mention of 'firstborn' or 'Sieliah'. "Anything else you could tell me about her to help further narrow down the books?" She asked the blue man.

Evening of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca

Spending some time with Lestone while the others discussed the amulet further, Eliza and the elemental dug through some of the books, finding mentions here and there of a woman of lightning, leaving streaks upon the ground where ever she stood, and taught early mages how to direct and control the raw power of electricity. Notes of her within Okesh slowly fade with reports of her appearing on other continents, an outline across the sky during intense storms or merely finding small petite footprints near a thunderstruck tree.

Lestone seemed pleased with what was found, smiling, "Sounds like she's out there somewhere, just has become more flighty over time. Maybe during a storm I can catch her attention then." Looking up at the rest of the group, an agreement seemed to have been made between Ander and Master Enol on the amulets.

Enol thought on Tyrius' questions, "There's always the question of did it work or did it break. Differences between manacles you find will be useful in case not all are the same as well." The older man eyed Ander, "I can't say we'd ever be able to remove the intense pain likely to come from such an exchange, but perhaps lessen it if it's too extreme. I doubt the goal is to merely kill the person wearing the amulet instead, but intense pain could cause the body to fail if it's too much."

Continuing discussing for a few minutes more, one of the other Accmours approached, bowing their head and murmured something to Master Accmour who returned to standing. "I see -- we've spent a fair amount of time discussing, at some point I should begin attempting to craft what you asked for. I doubt it will be finished today, but I can hopefully give a progress report by tonight." Scanning the group he landed on Valerie, "I will Send a message to you, Lady Rhiteghast, hopefully to make up for being so rude in your presence earlier." Dipping his head slightly, he gestured with an arm as a doorway appeared once more and he exited through it.

The assistant guided the group out back into the streets where a few accomplished some shopping they wished to do earlier. Walking the streets without an entirely clear destination in mind, the group stumbled across Catelyn who seemed to be standing in the street looking into a clothing store with a confused expression.

Just as with her last visit to the Aedon House, Virra was glad to get away again. At least this latest one had been (relatively) short and sweet; no lost hours digging through books for scraps of magical lore this time. As interesting as said lore was, somehow it never seemed worth the effort by the end of the study session. Lestone had already given her plenty to think about besides.

Back on the streets of Porthca, she could run wild at last. Making sure to drag Magnolia with her wherever possible, she spent some hours assembling a dozen professions' worth of equipment from a score of independent shops, grinning every time she slotted a new tool or knick-knack into her spiffy new Bag of Holding and making a mental note to thank Val for the tip later. She rounded out the shopping trip with the purchase of two things she was sure would interest her half-pint friend: a pack of playing cards and a brand new Dragonchess set. "For whenever you wanna play a real game," she teased Mags as she stowed it away alongside the rest of her loot.

The Nomad was in high spirits as the group reassembled, and soon on the lookout for new distractions while they rambled through the city. Running into Catelyn was just the kind of happy accident she'd been waiting for. "Hey, Cate!" she called, running up to her. "Fancy seeing you here! Feels like weeks, but I guess it's just been a couple hours, huh? Had a good day? Hey, whatcha looking at?" She finally glanced into the clothing store, following where the cleric's gaze had been.

Evening of the Twenty-Seventh Day | Porthca:

Looking away from the window, Catelyn turned to face the group and soon wore a smile on her face. "Hello everyone! Even a few I haven't met before, hello, my name is Catelyn Pryce," she dipped her head, "Cleric of Ilmater. If you ever need anything be sure to let me know and I can try to help figure something out!"

The cleric fidgeted with the red thorn band around her wrist as she thought, "Time has a tendency of getting away from us, but I think my day has gone fairly well, all things considered. We had the large feast earlier and I made sure everyone went home with something for dinner as well." Looking into the window were simple mannequins with dresses and nicer fabrics resting on their forms for display, sheets of patterned and dyed silks lay on shelves, offerings for custom dresses. "Earlier, Lord Benito visited me, since he knew you all had, uhm, nominated me as the representative for the people of Porthca itself. He said he was going to call a meeting of the Council and I should be there -- so everyone can hear what happened, and officially meet them." Adjusting the simple armor she wore under her official robes she added somewhat meekly, "He also suggested I wear something 'nice'. I don't really know what that should mean? I don't have more than a single dress, for religious ceremonies and holidays -- other outfits people have tried to donate I usually give to young girls in the Maze so they have something pleasant to wear."

Turning back to look into the window she continued, "I guess you caught me in a moment of trying to decide if purchasing something would be the right thing to do, or going in what I already have. I could always let someone else have it later?" Glancing over her shoulder at the women of the group she added, "... but I've also never been clothes shopping for myself, unless it was because the fabric is too worn to repair."

Eliza felt more refreshed after that interesting side-research than she had for weeks, "Storms, eh? We get plenty of those on the road." Even the prospect of once again traveling in dreary conditions couldn't dampen her high especially after she had collected her pristine new custom scrolls bound in fresh twine. "Seems like another long night, Faust!" She declared to the mouse but paused for a second as she wondered how expensive a trip through the teleportation circle to Azarad would be. Stuffing the thought away as she did the scrolls in her now overflowing bag, she looked up to see Cate.

"Oh..." She kicked awkwardly at a nearby loose pebble as she tried to use Ander as a shield again. Her regret of shoving Cate into the limelight without the cleric having any say in the matter still hung heavy on her conscious only one day after signing the contract. "...Hi Catelyn." she ventured out eventually. The mention of lousy Ben and his even lousier suggestions really prickled her though and she figuratively and literally put a foot down, "Well...Ben can suck on a lemon!" She cursed with much gusto and declared, "What do you want to do? You are not beholden to Mr Benito De'Porthca. You have as much say, if not even more, than he does and your opinion matters. I think you look fine just the way you are...well-" the short wizard stood on tiptoe as she tapped the woman on her head with her wand. Sparks showered the cleric scrubbing out any stains and ironing out any wrinkles, "Now you look perfect."

Keeping everything that Master Enol said in mind, Tyrius made polite farewells along with the rest of the group as they set off back into the cobbled streets of Porthca. Seeing Catelyn again, Tyrius couldn't resist giving the cleric a broad smile, though that soon vanished as he heard how Benito had been behaving with her.

'And Catelyn is one of Benito's friends.' thought Tyrius to himself as he scowled slightly, 'I doubt Benito intended to be thoughtless, maybe its just more of his strop from yesterday.'

"How about this," suggested the red headed sorcerer, "How about we take you clothes shopping, you pick out what you like, I pay for it then after the meeting you can always donate the clothes if you don't feel comfortable keeping them?" As far as Tyrius could see, that solved all the problems that Catelyn was faced with for the moment - she could wear something nice, she wouldn't feel guilty about paying for it and she could do something good with the dress afterwards. Though as soon as he thought of that, he immediately imagined Benito's scowl and how it would look like they were buying favour with the newest councillor.

'Well, I'm sure Benito won't be too harsh on Catelyn.' thought Tyrius to himself, 'And if he really wants to have a go at someone just to feel better, he can go ahead and shout himself hoarse at me if he so chooses to.'

At Eliza's outburst, the young cleric blinked in surprise, only to smile at the pair's comments and suggestions. Watching the grime and dirt disappear off her gear she bowed her head towards the half-orc, "Thank you for the cleansing spell, Eliza, I appreciate it," Catelyn smiled. She looked back at the window, "Honestly I don't truly know what to do around such noble people. The only one I've tended to speak directly with is Lord Benito and he ... well he sort of does his own thing when it comes to traditions I suppose."

Nodding to Tyrius she continued, "I appreciate the offer, but I'm afraid I'd probably be concerned about the cost the whole time, and how that gold could have bought foodstuffs or supplies for the church." She scratched her head, "... I'm sorry it seems to be concerning you all as well, I'm sure you have other things to focus on than my indecision with something as silly as clothing."

Listening to the conversation about which magical artifact to craft filled Valerie with concern. She did not much care for a magical item that would be bringing harms to her friends, but she understood Ander's drive to protect. She had gotten a taste of it in her travels, doing her best to help anyone in trouble that she had encountered as the Knight. As herself, however, it seems far more daunting of a task. The danger felt far more real when she wasn't trying to be someone else. Still, a promise was a promise, and Valerie would never be breaking any promises to her friends again.

As Master Enol addressed her, the young noble gave him a smile in response although she did not quite feel it reach her eyes. "It is alright, Master Accmour. I am afraid that I am not quite used to the same variety of... excitement in the capital, but I do understand that the circumstances here are extenuating." She gave him a curtsy. "All the same, it was a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Thank you very much for your assistance, I promise that your work will be put to good use."

Following the others out of the Accmour house Valerie immediately began to apologize profusely to Lestone. "I am so so very sorry that I was not able to defend you. I promise you, I will try harder in the future." After, she was quiet for a while. Even shopping was unable to raise her spirits. As her friends ran into someone they apparently knew she listened with interest. Hearing the name of the person however, she brightened up considerably. "Hello Catelyn, it is such a pleasure to finally meet you, I have heard so much about you! My friends have had nothing but glowing praise to say. Oh gods, apologies, where are my manners. My name is Valerie Rhitegast." She gave the cleric a curtsy before listening to her current predicament, her expression souring slightly at the mention of the rude noble from before.

Valerie gave a smile and a nod at Eliza's sentiment, although she knew that there was a little more to appearances than just natural beauty and personality. "Quite right, Eliza, but I am afraid that there are some traditions that will likely need to be followed for one of the people to be accepted amongst the ranks of the nobility of this city, especially from what little I know from speaking to some." Turning to Catelyn, her smile broadened significantly. "It would not be any trouble at all to assist you! I must confess that I have been feeling rather dour as of late, but as strange as it may sound, there is little that is more enjoyable to me than to be able to help shop for a friend. Please, might I assist you?"

Earlier Lestone had waved off Valerie's apology, replying, "If a sore face is the worst I have to deal with because of recent actions, then I'm almost getting off too easily.

Catelyn blushed at Valerie's comments, glancing at the others with a faint smile, "Oh -- I'm sure they're just exaggerating, I'm just a cleric to Ilmater trying to do what I can to lift burdens." She tried to do a curtsy back, a little unsure what to do in her gear.

The woman fidgeted a little with the cord around her wrist, "I don't think I'll be able to convince you all not to, will I? You're all very, uhm, persistent -- but in a good way! I'm very appreciative of you all wanting to help me so much, even something as simple or silly as deciding what to wear ... to meet ... all the Families..." her voice dropped away as the weight of the meeting once more set in.

With a smile, Magnolia approached and patted Catelyn's hands, "Don't worry -- once you learn how exciting clothes shopping can be, you won't have time to think about those posh grumps!" The halfling turned back to Valerie with a wry grin, "I think we've got some work ahead of us -- where should we start? Oh!" turning back to Catelyn she asked, "Did he say when the meeting is? How long do we have?"

Glancing towards the horizon, the water glinting in the fading light, the cleric answered, "Uh ... maybe about two hours? I was doing some last minute deliveries for donations, and then on my way back to the church when I saw the fabrics on display and ... well, I seemed a little distracted," she scratched her head, "until you all got me going again, I suppose." Eventually Catelyn turned towards Lestone, giving him a small bow, "May I ask who you are? I don't think we've met before ..." as she raised her head again, it was evident by her expression that her mind was at work as she approached the elemental, studying him, "... or have we?" Standing with her weight on her backfoot, as if ready to take a quick retreat, she studied his gaze, "... are you ... Lestone?"

Blinking in surprise he nodded then started to turn away slightly as well, "Yes ... are you someone else I injured or made suffer under the Sea?"

Smiling, she shook her head, "No ... but, for awhile, I think I was lifting some of your burden through Ilmater." Placing a hand on her chest, "I felt some of what you went through I think, it definitely wasn't pleasant. But I'm glad to know you seem to be in better health and much better company now."

Eliza scoffed lady-like at Val's remark, "Following tradition would make sense in a cultured place with some history. Porthca is neither so I don't see what is wrong with Catelyn forging her own path now. The post of Porthca representative of the common should not bow down to any of the nobles, especially not Benito of all people." She implored empathetically having taken it very much personally, "You get to set the standard now. You get to forge the tradition that future common representatives will uphold. It is a mighty task but I am confident you are up to it and Ben should not be the standard." She huffed and kicked at a loose pebble remembering Benito's overbearing 'presents'.

Tyrius tried to avoid blushing the moment Catelyn brought up Lestone being in better company. Mostly because he was still feeling a little sick at himself for getting Virra hurt through his magic gone out of control and not owning up to it. As Eliza spoke up, it was evident by the way the Aspirant spoke that Eliza's view of Porthca was the way most people would view a peat bog.

"That's absolutely true," said Tyrius, backing up Eliza and giving her a small smile, "If anything, Benito couldn't do better than to make you the example he lives by." Tyrius said warmly, "Though, new standard - can't see the harm in new clothes. Before you argue, I'll pay for it so the gold concern can go - and I'll leave the same amount with the church so there won't be any arguments about you having new things."

Tyrius had no doubt that Benito was probably going to be steamed when he found out, accuse them of trying to buy Catelyn's favour. The way Tyrius saw it, he had more to fall back on if they suddenly lost all their wealth than the others, though he'd be lying if he said guilt didn't play a part in his decision. 'Can worry about potential Benito blowouts later.' thought Tyrius.

"So, what fabric was it that caught your eye?"

Hearing Eliza, of all people, step in to sum up her new opinion on Ben, Virra roared with laughter. "Ben can suck on lots of sour fruits," she confirmed after pulling herself together and wiping a tear from her eye. "Gosh, Eliza. But yeah, Cate, wear what you want -- heck, if you do it with enough confidence, maybe you'll start a new fashion wave." With that idea cemented in her head, the conversation that followed was just a steady escalation of excitement as the others came around to the idea of clothes shopping. When Virra finally chimed in again, it was right after Tyrius asked about fabrics. "Actually, tell us while we're looking at designs. Come on, come on, come on!" She practically pushed Catelyn into the shop, her appetite for spending money having returned in force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread