Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
”Val, knowing you, no rope seems safe enough.” Eliza tried to say it in a light hearted manner but she hopped Val didn’t take it the wrong way. ”We will keep an eye on you though. There is more of us than you.”

Now how is that supposed to make her feel better...

”Let’s just worry about this tomorrow. None of us is in any state to plan for anything right now. The morning will come, and with it coffee so we will be wiser and more patient with each other.”

Seeing the ring and the way Valerie was acting, Tyrius stared carefully at the ring. He almost felt like blasting it to bits with Shatter, the small object certainly had caused more aggravation for the group than the wyvern eggs he had condemned to a slow death. Thinking about it, Tyrius wished there had been a better solution, though he knew it was fruitless to beat himself up over it now. Concentrating on the ring so that he wouldn't think about the wyverns, Tyrius wondered if it even could be destroyed or if doing so would harm Valerie. 'There is too much I don't know about this to just blast it,' thought Tyrius as he felt a light surge, so light he thought it might not even have been a full surge.

Walking back to Valerie, seemingly unaware he had a half open third eye peeking out from under his hairline, Tyrius listened to Eliza trying to reassure her and realised that maybe she hadn't known what would happen - which coming around to Ander trying to rip the pearl out of her grasp and his own attempts to restrain her so that Ander could.

"Eliza's right," commented Tyrius, kneeling down a little, "We'll all have much clearer heads tomorrow. You're still among friends." said Tyrius, hoping Valerie believed him.

Ander slowed to allow Virra a chance to catch up with him and he turned his head to give her a half hearted smile. "I don't really understand what's goin' on with her, all I know is that I refuse to let anyone else down." He held the pearl out for a moment before placing it in his coin pouch. "No child is going ta die because our deceitful young friend can't control herself. If it's the ring, maybe we need ta figure out how ta get rid ov it. I don't know." Tears welled up in his eyes.

He reached a tree and sat down with his back against it so that he could be at his little friend's eye level. "I'm sorry if I lost ma temper, I jus can't stand lyin', ya know. I've tried to be open and honest with y'all, and this is one too many times that Val has proven to be impersonatin' someone to git what she wants." He shook his head and looked down, "I hate it when I feel like I can't trust someone who I thought was my friend." He fidgets with his wooden holy symbol as his tears silently roll down his face.

Evening of the Seventeenth Day | On the Road to Wyford | Outside Camp:

Trying to follow the others, Niradnam had summoned the dancing lights to try and help the group see, even though it meant he couldn't quite keep up as they ran. Turning at the first scream he pointed, "There!" Eventually joining the others as they crowded around Valerie, he stood off to the side -- feeling slightly this was his fault ... he'd been so keen to repay a favor, he hadn't even considered this would happen.

The orbs circled around the group as they loaded Valerie up onto the flying carpet, a few of its tassels drooping as it started to coast away. He followed at a distance to the group, keeping silent with his own thoughts.

Magnolia took most of Valeries weight, helping her back to the camp.
Everyone went so crazy so fast, I think tomorrow we need to figure out exactly what the hell happened before we showed up Mags.

Agreed, in the mean time though we need to look out for our friend.

Making a gesture with her hand she asked for Yondalla's assistance in keeping Val safe, so both good and evil beings. The ring most likely wouldn't fall into either of those categories but it made her feel better knowing one less thing could come after her new friend.

Our deceitful young friend? Virra was almost impressed that Ander knew how to insult people. It wasn't until he finally got on eye level with her that she noticed the tears welling up. "Woah, hold on..." At a loss for how to comfort him, she fished inside her bag for a clean cloth, then courageously offered it to him. "I don't know if Val's as deceitful as all that. Yeah, you're pretty honest, but everyone else has at least a couple of secrets. I mean, I don't know if I'd ever have even told you guys about my psionic stuff if Lestone hadn't forced it." She smiled. "I guess Val just feels like she needs these secrets to be comfortable. But she's gonna feel really bad about this one, so you'll get to hear all about it tomorrow. Guaranteed."

She kind of wanted to sit down next to him, but she was conscious that the others were coming back, and the height difference was annoying enough to cope with as it was. Instead she laid a hand on Ander's shoulder and leaned close. "Also, you didn't see the look on her face when you turned and left," she said quietly. "Yeah, it sucks when good things get shaken up, but we got the pearl back, right? So can't we just... wait for the explanation, make apologies, then pretend this never happened? It'll be more fun that way."

Ander placed his hand on his little friend's and gave her a genuine smile, "Yeah, I get that she's a young gal and she ain't got as much livin' under her belt, I just really don't appreciate the disguises bein' used against friends." He shook his head slowly. He raised his hand to his temple and thought "I'm sure I'll get over it. I just want ta get back to Porthca and put this whole mess behind us."

Valerie looked unconvinced by what Eliza was saying, but was in no mood for an argument. Listening to Tyrius, it took everything she had not to burst out crying once again. I am glad that some of you feel that way... evidently not all. She gratefully accepted Magnolia’s help walking over, and was unable to look towards Niradnam, although she said a brief, “Sorry...” as she walked past.

Entering the camp, she glanced over hopefully towards Ander before realizing that he definitely still did not wish to speak to her, and instead walked over to her pack, loosening a length of rope before approaching Banrigg, her eyes cast downward. “Hello Banrigg... you are a sailor, correct? Do you think that you could... tie me up so that I do not get up to any mischief during the night?” Her eyes felt wet once again. “I do not think that I should be trusted to behave... I would also ask that you hold on to my blade, as it has magic that would allow me to slip from these bonds.”

Having grown accustomed to it by now, Virra barely missed a beat before she copied Ander and pressed a couple of fingers against her temple. "I think that's what most of us want." She smiled again, though it didn't reach all of her face. "Lot of time to think about things once that's finished." She patted his shoulder once and then turned to leave, catching sight of Val on the other side of camp with a length of rope in her hand.

What's she up to...? Curious, Virra began drifting in that direction, looking quizzically at Ty and Mags.

Evening of the Seventeenth Day | On the Road to Wyford | Camp:

Rowanne sat at the fire with her blade on her lap, watching Valerie warily. Niradnam entered the camp eventually, collecting his cat and with his journal began casting the ritual for Alarm.

Banrigg shifted his grip on his maul as Val approached. Setting it down he placed a hand on her shoulder, "Lass ... Are ya sure that's really what ya want? I can try my best, but Iunno if it'll make ya really feel better."

Valerie considered what the dwarf had said for a moment before giving a defeated shrug. “It does not feel like that should be my decision. I have betrayed all of your trust... and I know that there is nothing I can do to change what happened. If anyone would feel more comfortable with me bound, however, I’d ask that you do it.” Valerie’s gaze wandered over to the person she knew was most angry with her, and her voice was barely audible as she asked. “... Ander?”

”Val, please dear, just go to sleep. We can keep watch for the night instead of typing people up now.” Eliza closed her eyes and rubbed her temples trying to keep track of the million and one things she had to keep in mind.

She sat near the fireplace and waved Niradnam over, the real one, to sit next to her. “Can I borrow the orb for the night?“ she asked with no small measure of deja vu, “I want to scry on my parents and I...I need your help, or notes or whatever.” She wished there was a way to communicate with her parents instead but scrying would have to do for now. At least it would give her some peace of mind to know that they were safe and sound and she could focus on helping Ben...and Ander...and now Val.

Prioritizing was the solution to all her problems. She just had to figure out who needed what first.

Evening of the Seventeenth Day | On the Road to Wyford | Camp:

Finishing his ritual a faint string of silver appeared around the camp before fading, Niradnam looked up at Eliza as he closed his journal. Not exactly helping Eliza's sense of deja vu, the scholar reaching into his pack and brought out the transparent orb -- about the size of an orange in his hand. "Before you can use it ... you'll need to attune to it." Niradnam looked over Eliza, "I'm ... not sure how many things you've attuned to, but you may need to release one."

He rubbed his thumb over the glass, "... I can stay up with you to guide you if you want, I, er, don't really sleep as you all do anyway."

Off to the side, Ander approached Valerie, having tucked and hidden away the pearl. The paladin wore a tired and disappointed expression as he knelt next to the exhausted warlock, placing a hand on her shoulder that glowed, a faint pulse of healing light, easing her pain ... physically at least. Saying nothing he rose and walked away, heading back to his bedroll.

Sitting at the campfire, Niradnam settled next to Eliza, handing off the glass ball and almost seems to doze off while she spent an hour attuning to it. The rest of the party fades away during this process, where her mind wanders and ambles down whatever thoughts come her way, sometimes tied to the item and sometimes merely errant ideas that flicker briefly before fading. Eventually she finished, opening her eyes at the orb she understood what it can do ... but this is not something she'd done before, or experienced before.

Seeing Eliza"wake up", Egnaro dug a claw into Niradnam's arm, waking him from his own dozing. "Finished then? If you're going to use it, you need to picture who or what you're trying to find ..." Seeing the others asleep he switched to telepathy, "This way we won't wake them ... it's been a long day for everyone. Anyway, the better you know who or what you hope to see, the clearer the image will be and less chance of it failing ..."

Eliza looked at the elf with hesitation in her eyes, ”I am terrified of what I might see...I don’t know what I will do if anything has happened to them.” She wiped at her cheeks, her fingers coming back wet. ”I don’t think I can do this.” She tried to choke down the tears starting to feel slightly hysterical.

Niradnam started to reach for Eliza's shoulder to give comfort before hesitating. " No one is forcing you if you don't feel ready. You can have that until we get to Wyford..." He placed his hand on her shoulder, Egnaro reaching out a paw while Faust chattered from the side. " Personally I'm of the belief that I'd rather know than not... At least if you know, you can start to try and deal with whatever has happened for better or worse."

Eliza wiped her tears away with the edge of her sleeve and nodded her head softly. ”Thank you for staying up with me, Niradnam. I know we had our differences but...thanks anyway.”

She raised the orb to her face and followed the elf’s instructions, concentrating on the memory of her parents as she remembered them, standing in their workshop wearing their familiar work-robes speckled with years of spills and stain.

She could almost see them run around the space, never bumping into each other or getting into each other’s way, enchanting and mixing colorful potions trying to come up with new and wonderful magical inventions.

She could hear their playful chatter as they worked every day in that place, every surface overflowing with their coffee stained notes and discarded gadgets.

She could even almost smell them, her mother’s flowery perfume and her dad’s pipes. Every detail was concrete in her mind after spending sixteen happy years in that very space with them, laughing and learning every step of the way.

”Now what?” she asked Niradnam very timidly.

The scholar nodded, staying next to the half-orc as she focused. As she asked her question, her mind was whisked away, her body stiffened and vaguely she felt a hand behind her keeping her upright.

Fading from the camp, her vision soared, rising to the sky only to swoop away through the clouds and over forests, headed north towards old familiar mountains. She braced herself as she sped towards them -- a primal fear of smashing into the stone facing only to phase through it, old tunnels and pathways she hadn't seen in years. The zooming and swooping, tilting and shifting almost makes her nauseous until it eases and she focused on a pair huddled in a cramped area along with many others, dwarves, gnomes and a few halflings. Before them are gathered a few small children of various races, watching with keen interest as a older male gnome brought their attention to his hands, performing a few simple movements that Eliza in her studying would know to be a cantrip, creating an illusion around the children to their oohs and aws, a female gnome sitting behind him smiling at their cheer. The children clapped and smiled, begging for more ... as the vision pulled away, blurring until Eliza felt herself return to her body, Niradnam keeping her upright.

As he saw her eyes return to color he looked concerned, "... did ... it work?"

Eliza sagged with relief and cracked a smile at the elf, ”They are alive at the very least.” she thought and dragged him into a sudden rib-crushing hug, causing him to yelp in surprise. ”They seemed to be stuck in one of the tunnels under the mountain with some other folk. They seemed safe but the place looked rather cramped. Have you heard any news from Chilldrift?” He shook his head about Chilldrift while her mind raced with questions now and she was more determined than ever to finally get sending right so she could finally talk with them. What had happened to her parents? They hadn’t replied to any of her mail in months so were they stuck under the mountains all that time? It had to have been sudden or else they would have sent the news to her somehow. She got her notes on sending and started working on the spell again, her energy and interest in the spell renewed now that she knew they were alive and in relatively good health. She took occasional glances at Val to make sure everything was ok but otherwise spent the night focused on fine tuning the spell.

Last edited:
Morning of the Eighteenth Day | On the Road to Wyford | Camp:

Waking in the morning, as usual Niradnam was one of the first up, quietly reading his journal and making notes. Egnaro was curled around the dark Wyvern egg the scholar had taken for himself, wrapped with a blanket in his pack. Rowanne was set up maintaining her weapons while Banrigg sat at the fire stirring a pan filled with eggs and a few cuts of meat.

Seeing others wake, Banrigg tapped the edge of the pan as the sizzling food continued to cook, "Last night was a right clusterfuck." The dwarf looked around at the group for a moment then went back to stirring. "I got hired ta' protect you lot off on this lil' mission, but I cannot seem ta' protect ya from each other." Pulling out small bowls, Banrigg started distributing the simple breakfast between them and passing them around to everyone. "Truth b'told, once we get back ta' Porthca, I'll be headin' off m'self. I think, you lot are gonna need ta' get yer shite together, an' speak t'each other." Picking up a slice of meat he bit off a chunk as he continued, "Ya got wyvern buggers, ya got legendary weapons an' gear, ya got more wealth than most could even imagine."

Swallowing, "You lot are gonna need to become a crew -- properly. That thief bugger was warnin' ya, an' right now, I think you lot are more a danger to each other than anythin' else like with what happened last night." With a faint smile the dwarf placed a hand on Valerie's shoulder, "This group seems t'care for ya lass, an' the amount a'magic between em, they're smarter than this dwarf anyways, I bet of anyone, they'll be able to help ya."

Rowanne dug at the offered food, quietly commenting, "Azarad ... would have potential help if you wish to be rid of whatever is affecting you. Some mages make their life's work in studying the removal of curses."

Offering the cut of meat to Egnaro, Niradnam nodded, "True, but some of them don't seem to care much that the cursed survives such removal. Truly, temples or druids may also be other options. Speaking from experience of living within Azarad for so long, quite a few them get too focused on the ideas and not so much the people."

Coming around in the morning huddled in a sleeping bag with Bookwyrm's egg nestled in his arms, Tyrius yawned and tried to hide the fact he was awake so he could spend a little extra time just sat staring up at the sky in quiet thought. Eventually though, when he heard the others moving around Tyrius realised he'd have to actually get up before they dragged him out of bed.

With Banrigg's rebuke ringing in his ears, Tyrius stayed quiet. He could see the truth in the dwarven fellow's words. In-fighting could be the death of them. Hearing talk of Azarad, Tyrius nodded and looked to Valerie, "That sounds as promising as anything else." said the red-head as Niradnam said his piece, "See, and there's a good temple we know in Porthca that might help out. At the very least we know someone who'd go out of their way to help someone in need."

'Maybe we - maybe I should be more like Cate,' thought Tyrius to himself, wondering how the cleric of the crying god was faring after the death of her head priest.

As she had each day since ransacking the nest, Virra began the morning by checking on her as-yet-unnamed egg, then going to tuck into as much breakfast as she felt she could get away with. This time, though, her appetite was quickly ruined by Banrigg and the speech he gave as he plated up their food. She recognised at the back of her mind that he was trying to share a positive sentiment, but by the time he'd finished she was too angry to let him.

"Banrigg, I'm not gonna listen to you if you keep swearing. It's that simple," she said, taking her bowl and staring at it sullenly. Not that she'd had much of an inclination towards listening anyway. Why was he offering advice on acting like a crew in the first place? They'd barely been together for half a month, and Virra had always expected the group to start coming apart after their business in Porthca was finished. Niradnam and Rowanne were already going, and Banrigg just said he was, too. Valerie would be next, she decided; she seemed the flightiest of the bunch. Her or Mags, for sure. Then Ander would go home or to kill some slavers, and Ty and Eliza would go be with their families. And Virra would keep going -- that was, if she wasn't the first one to up and leave. Going by past experiences, she couldn't rule it out.

The conversation had moved on while she was spacing out, so she looked for a way to insert herself. "Yeah, Cate'd help with anything. I don't know if her special magic is enough to break a curse like that, but she might know someone who could." She fell silent again, deciding to skip the pretending and speak directly to Niradnm. "Hey. How're you feeling this morning? Good? Looking forward to being back in Wyford?" she tried.

The dwarf chuckled, "Lass, I 'pologise, but swearin' is like breathin' for a sailor. I probl'y don't even realize I'm doin' it."

Niradnam glanced up from his breakfast towards Virra, "I'm ... reasonable. You?" He smiled faintly, "I don't know about Wyford to be honest, I need to set my sights further ... it's just the first stop on what I expect to be a longer journey."

The salt coating her eyes felt thicker than usual as Valerie woke. For a brief moment she had forgotten the events of the prior night before they suddenly came crashing back to her. The look of sheer disappointment on Ander’s face was something she’d be remembering for the rest of her life. I could just stay here... Sleep for the rest of my life and never have to deal with the consequences of my transgression.

After a few moments, the young warlock sniffled and began to rub her eyes, rolling to her side and seeing a familiar halfling form near her. Magnolia... she is far kinder than I deserve. Almost out of habit, a small mirror formed in her hand out of salt and Valerie stared at it for a moment, loath to use the powers that had caused so much trouble last night but ultimately deciding that there was little point in avoiding them. She hardly recognized the face that looked back at her, her eyes a swollen red from the tears that continued long past when she had retired to her bedroll the past night. The girl considered using her magic to make herself a little more presentable before realizing how using her disguise spell would look to the others.

With a sigh, Valerie stood up and meandered over to the fire, unable to meet anyone’s gaze. She took a bowl from Banrigg with a nod and murmured “Thank you.”, but every word he said brought even more shame to her. Feeling his hand on her shoulder, she stiffened before slowly nodding in response.

As the others began to talk about what to do with her, Valerie felt a pit forming in her stomach. They do not understand... She realized. The ring is not the problem, it is me. Grandfather was wrong... I am not strong enough to wield its power. She did not know how to make the others understand, however, so she decided to stay silent on that for now. “Whatever it is you all think is best... magic was never a subject I was particularly well versed in.” She hesitated briefly before considering, still staring into the flames. “Still... I would have thought that you would all want me to leave as soon as possible after last night’s events. I would understand if you did.”

“Then you are dumber than I thought.” The jittery half-orc said as she began sipping her third cup of coffee that morning. Eliza looked uncharacteristically disheveled with blood-shot eyes but she grinned as she spoke to Val. “I am afraid you are just stuck with us until we can figure this thing out then you are free to leave our charming presence.”

Tyrius chuckled as Eliza said her piece to Valerie. Seeing the way Valerie was staring into the camp fire, Tyrius wondered what was going through the young woman's mind. He could understand feeling apprehensive, considering what had happened the previous night.

"What happened last night," began Tyrius, "is probably best left to last night." Tyrius sipped at his own coffee in the tin travel mug. "Don't get me wrong - we need to deal with the hold that ring had on you. But, don't go beating yourself up, alright?" said Tyrius, "Like Banrigg just said, last night we started fighting amongst ourselves." Tyrius took another bite of his breakfast, glancing to Ander and the way Rupert was curling up. "People like The Thief and The Sea, if we start fighting like that in front of them, they're just going to exploit it. We can't allow that to happen."

Tyrius took another sip of coffee, curling and uncurling his feet and enjoying the feeling of just running them through the dew covered grass. "We can go to Azarad if you want, I kind of fancy returning there at some point to go reading through their library again. Plus it'll give Virra a chance to see where Eliza and I spent our time - even if it was separate." Having mentioned her, Tyrius looked to Eliza, "But we should check on your parents soon - I doubt there's anything wrong. Most likely The Thief just found a weakness and figured he'd hit you where it hurt. Still, if it'd set your mind at ease?"

Looking to Virra, Tyrius added, "Right?" figuring it would let her jump into the conversation, not that the talkative woman needed an invitation for that. Glancing to Niradnam, Tyrius gave his fellow researcher a smile, "In case Cate can't help - is there anyone you can think of - any temples in particular that we should look into?"

Eliza looked a little apprehensive at the mention of visiting her almost-alma mater. She did not look forward to going back to that place looking like she was just tackled by a spiky leopard.

“Niradnam helped me scry on my parents yesterday. They seemed stuck under the mountains with some other folk from Chilldrift but they otherwise appeared safe and sound.”

She looked at Virra and asked, “Have you heard any news from that part. I couldn’t actually speak to them but I am working on a spell to help me. If I only had access to some of the books I needed...” She sighed knowing now what she had lost as she remembered her 24/7 access to the Azarad library. She got so mad at herself when she remembered how much time she wasted eating and sleeping. Maybe the Silverbanes had the books required, she thought finally trying to cheer herself up.

Listening to the way Eliza talked as much as what she said, Tyrius realised that unlike him, the Half-Orc Wizard had got no sleep the night before and with how she was talking about working on a spell, she might be desperate enough to pull more all nighters until she got what she wanted. Taking a moment and closing his eyes to think about what Eliza was trying to do, Tyrius realised the spell she was trying to work on was something called Sending. He didn't remember the exact ways it worked, just that it was a long distance means of communication. Thinking of what was in Silverbane Library, Tyrius couldn't suppress the smile that graced his face or the way he blushed as he remembered when he had first discovered he could cast magic in that library.

"Not sure how much use our family library's gonna be on that front," said the sorcerer as he opened his eyes and looked to Eliza, "a lot of the books we have are theory based on how to send things long distance by teleporting them or summoning things. Or small spells like Message which are short distance." said Tyrius realising he'd had that spell when he'd been stuck behind the mirror and could've tried to use it to talk to the others. But, in his rush to solve the puzzle in front of him, he'd forgotten to even check the clothes weren't magic in and of themselves. 'Really need to be more careful.'

Tuting Val's obvious theatrics about the previous night, "honey take it from me. I've been all over half this world by now, and you know what I've learned? I've learned that just because you're built like a brick shit house; or the smartest person alive, doesn't mean you don't need friends. Someone to have your back in the dark times, when you're not feeling yourself. I mean yeah I've traveled alone down many a road, but I've never truely been alone. I've always had Yondalla there."

Hesitating before going on, don't try and convert everyone Mags. We know what happened last time people started hopping religions...

"I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the darkness creeps in again. That ring starts acting out, you let me know. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that should help."

Just everywhere you go, you have to adopt the strays don't you?
Shut up, they need our help. Besides, we have a backpack full of money. Money that could really help in the right hands back home.

Her thoughts turned back to the ferocious monster yowling in her stomach "allright I've got a backpack full of OUR money! Now whose got my breakfast?"

The scholar chuckled, "You almost speak of them like clinics for the ill ..." Offering his cat the rest of his breakfast, "I'm not sure which all are established where, but I think it would be best to focus on those whose domain fall into the Arcane, Knowledge, or ..." he paused, "... those who watch over the forge might be willing to take a look as well, as it ... for the little bit of it that I saw, seemed forged."

Valerie blinked for a moment at the insult from Eliza before realizing she was joking, and smiled slightly to her. “If that is really what you wish...” She looked over to Tyrius and considered what he said before slowly nodding. “Very well, I will try to stop... it is just that... I like all of you so much, and the fact that I would ever do anything to hurt you...” She stopped herself and laughed without much humor. “I suppose I am doing it again. Anyways, I would much prefer not to travel to Azarad...” She glanced over to Rowanne before admitting. “I was actually supposed to attend the university when I decided to make my journey to Porthca... as far as my relatives know, if any would care to check, I am still there now.”

Turning as Magnolia began to speak to her, Valerie flinched at the phrases such as ‘brick shit house’, but nodded as she continued. At the mention of Yondolla, Valerie frowned slightly. “Grandfather was never one for religion. He always said that the Rhitegasts make their own lives, and the gods’ attention is better focused elsewhere. There are times that I long for a connection such as yours, but it is merely not in my blood. Regardless,” Valerie smiled to the halfling. “Thank you, Magnolia. I promise to try to warn you all whenever the ring is acting... difficult.” She gestures to the bowl by Magnolia’s feet. “Banrigg cooked. It may not be as grand as the meals Tyrius’s family had prepared for us back in Wyford, but it is still rather impressive.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back