Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rowanne chuckled at the obviously drunk Magnolia, who had dragged along Valerie and Tyrius toward the exit. Her eyes followed Valerie as she slipped from Magnolia’s grip and made her way to a table occupied by a group of men. As she materialized a glaive, Rowanne gripped the hilt tighter and pulled the blade an inch from its sheath; a natural reaction to the drawing of a weapon. The room went silent, quiet enough to hear a pin drop and she was sure all could hear what Valerie had to say. Rowanne scanned the room and sighed. No guards, of course, but that’s good, she thought, surmising the display would earn Valerie a night in jail.

As Rowanne heard Virra explain to Tyrius the situation, she formulated a possible way to diffuse the situation. “Valerie, I’m certain they deserve the lesson, but I don’t think this course of action is best.” She stepped toward Valerie, eyeing the men as she neared.

Wyford | Late Evening | Restless Devil Inn:

When Valerie let Suggestion fade, one of the gamblers scratched his head for a moment before continuing to play cards, however at her approach and suddenly appearing weapon, the table looked up as one while the noise in the tavern died, a tension to the air. Three of the men at the table scooted away from the large glaive the woman held, paling at the threat, while the man Valerie had spelled earlier gave her a hard look.

He glanced off to the side where Rowanne stood and gestured towards her, voice loud in the sudden quiet, "Why don'tcha listen to yer friend girly? Far as I was 'ware, we'd squared away with th' drink ya bought us." Taking a swig with a grin, he looked over the mug at her, "A less finicky lass than ya, for sure, this 'Smooth Lady'!"

Hearing the booming voice from one of the men, Tyrius decided he'd intervene. Standing up, he seemed to zoom across the tavern in his sharp suit although from his point of view everything was moving just a bit slower than normal. "Haven't you gentlemen ever heard of the saying 'Manners Maketh Man'?" said Tyrius as he came to a stop next to Valerie, "I'd suggest you finish your drinks, settle your bill and head home."

Valerie heard Rowanne speaking and knew deep down that she was right, and that this was definitely more trouble than they were worth, but she could not let this go. These uncouth thugs have been allowed to behave like animals for long enough. If I do not speak up, then who? She met the glare of the man who had spoken up, and had harassed her earlier with a cold one of her own, a foreign sight to those that had gotten to know her over the past week. Glancing over her shoulder, to Tyrius, Valerie shook her head. "I did not ask for them to leave, I asked for an apology. For myself, and for all those that they offend with their presence." She turned back to the man, channeling power into her words while hardly realizing it. "So what is it going to be, then? The apology, or I show you what happens when you harass the wrong girl?"

Rowanne barely had a chance to think before Tyrius was beside Valerie, trying to calm the situation. Rowanne agreed with him but still gripped the hilt of her blade. Holding what once was her mother’s sword, she wondered if her mother might stand up for Valerie or take the less violent route and let the men go about their business. Troubled by this thought, she closed her eyes and centered herself via a quick prayer to Athena, ‘Athena, grant me your wisdom and strength.’ Filled with the confidence that her prayer would be answered, Rowanne took another step forward and addressed the men, “Let’s make all our lives easier and just apologize to this young woman, I don’t really know her, she might very well use that thing,” she pointed to the glaive with her elbow.

The other three at the table glanced to the apparent leader, muttering, "Maybe we really should ...", "This ain't worth th' hassle..." and similar, but the man seemed to hold his own, staring down Valerie. However at her next words his eyes seemed to open wide as he scooted back and away, chair falling to the side, hands raised for defense, "No -- no I-I think we're fine actually! We're great, I-I shouldn't be that way, no man should be, nope!" Shakily he reached for his coin pouch, tossing a few silver on the table, "Let's go lads yeah?"

One of the others seemed about to say something, a concerned look towards Valerie before nodding and starting to leave, or at least attempting to. Totdiv behind the bar laughed loudly, "Hope yer not planin' on doin' that too much lass, gonna be chasin' all mah customers away?" A few hesitant chuckles moved around the room, but it was evident the mood had changed.

On Valerie's hand the ring seemed to pulse, a strange sense of enjoyment perhaps.

Virra's attempt to soak the ringleader with his own ale was unsuccessful, but watching him and his cronies flee in fear was almost as fun. She strolled up behind Valerie and hopped up to give her a congratulatory clap on the back. "That, Val, is why you're my favourite," she declared, turning to the rest of the group with an easy grin. "So, did I hear something about a checkers tournament? Sounds like something we should get Ander and Eliza in on."

Her smile fell as she faced Rowanne, though she reflected that the Foxe Hunter hadn't kicked up as much of a stink about Valerie's magic as she'd expected. She wasn't about to go confiding in her about her amazing powers, but maybe she was decent enough to play checkers with.

Swinging around to see where Val escaped to; Magnolia felt her blood boil as she realised what had transpired under her watch.
She couldn't stand for people who treated others like objects.

However before she could react, they were running scared with their tails between their legs. Following them to the door she shouted into the lead thugs mind in her most gutteral primordial. "Flee from this place and never return, or I shall boils the flesh from your bones for stew! Your flayed skin shall adorn my walls! Run little man for vengeance will come for you."

If any of them turned to look they would only see a small halfling woman, leaning drunkenly on the doorframe.

Valerie's normally warm brown eyes glared after the lawless ruffians, watching them scurry out of the tavern before her expression softened. She felt the strange wave of pleasure running out from her finger, both relieving her and worrying her slightly at enjoying the act so much. Valerie blinked a few times, the mental veil of anger lifting from over her mind as she looked over to the dwarf manning the bar and then around to the rest of the room. "... My apologies, everyone, for the interruption." She went quiet for a moment before feeling Virra clap on her back and smiling slightly to her. "Oh, well thank you, Virra. I enjoy your company as well. I must confess, however, I am feeling a tad bit weary. I believe I may be heading for bed once we return. Thank you everyone for your assistance..." She dropped her glaive and it dissipated mid-air into salt that vanished upon hitting the ground and began making her way to the door to the tavern.

Watching the men go, he waited until the last had left before he spoke up. "You don't need to apologise," Tyrius said in a quiet voice, "From what I was told, those men started that. You merely defended yourself. Quite well, I might add." Watching the glaive vanish, Tyrius wondered how much effort it took Valerie to conjure it. Looking around, Tyrius called to Elizabeth, "Elizabeth, you staying out or you heading home with us?" Tyrius asked, quite liking the idea of getting an early night so he could be well rested for the travel and danger that lay ahead of them.

Morning of the Thirteenth Day | Wyford | Silverbane Manor:

Hearing the voice in their head the men scattered even faster, a few almost tripping over themselves in their rush. The tavern slowly returned to its usual volume as the party seemed to depart, Niradnam sighing and muttering, "I was concerned that was going to get much worse ..."

Elizabeth finally stood, collecting her things and giving a bow to the tavern at large, "Alas, my friends ... I will haaaave to see you all tomorrow. Maybe then I'll play some songs of this night, eh?" A few in the room cried out in disappointment, the woman smiling, "Just means ya will look forward to me even more the next night!" She turned to her brother with a grin, "Oh I'm soooo ready to head home. Les go."

Leading the group through the streets back towards the Manor, a servant caught sight of them, tsking at the drunkeness of a few of the party, and looking confused at the sight of a stranger. Elizabeth waved a hand, "Don't worry ... jus' a friend spendin' the night. All good, she'll head out wit' them in the morning," she held up two thumbs with a grin. The servant merely sighed, guiding the group back to their rooms, Niradnam splitting from them to return to his own room for the night, joined by a familiar black cat as he waved good night. As the others went to their respective room, the servant led Rowanne to her own, apologizing the whole way for how it hadn't been prepared -- but even still was likely one of the softest beds the cleric had slept in in a while.

Morning of the Thirteenth Day | Wyford | Silverbane Manor:

The sun rises, general noise can be heard outside of the wagon being packed with travel goods the party had purchased the days before. All the Silverbanes appear to be present, waiting for everyone to ready themselves to head off, a steady breeze moves inside Wyford while Niradnam stands helping the servants attempt to pack everything in, adding his own personal items as well with Egnaro supervising from the branches of a nearby tree.

The wind grabbed at his hair and coat a few times as he shivered from the cold in the air, revealing the fine rapier at his hip, Banrigg joining him at the wagon to wait for everyone else.

Waking up in his bed for what he knew would be the last time in a good long while, Tyrius took a few minutes to just savour the feeling of being in his own bed, stretching and yawning as he remembered the events of the evening before. Getting dressed in a simple suit for the day ahead, Tyrius gathered his belongings together in a small bag, along with the books and writing kits he'd bought the day before. Carrying his quarterstaff in the crook of his arm, the young sorcerer headed down to the kitchen. Tyrius grabbed a quick cup of coffee and some toast before he took his things to the wagon outside. Seeing both Banrigg and Niradnam standing around the wagon, Tyrius did a quick check of how many books and writing kits he'd bought and how many people were in the group.

'I bought seven kits,' thought Tyrius, 'Let's see, Ander, Eliza, Virra, Valerie, Banrigg, Niradnam, myself.' Tyrius smiled as he realised that was everyone that he'd known about at the time he'd bought the sets, 'I can always try and buy another set for Ms Rowanne another time - when I earn some money that is.'

"Morning all," said Tyrius as he shoved his bag on the back of the wagon with the rest of the luggage. Sticking the books and writing kits in the main part of the wagon where they'd be sitting, Tyrius figured it'd give them something to do on the road. Turning to his family, Tyrius gave each a big hug, unsure when he'd next see them again. "I'll write letters home, let you know I'm okay." said the sorcerer as he hugged his mother and father. With a look towards Elizabeth, Tyrius added, "And I'll make sure I keep writing my diary, so you have something to look forward to when I get home." To Thomas and Sabine, Tyrius added, "Keep Wyford safe you two, don't let Elizabeth burn the house down." From the look on his face it was clear he was joking about the last part.

Valerie woke to a throbbing headache, although she was unsure if that was from the eagerness of her ring to finally get moving, or due to her first experiences with hard drink. Ugh... well that was quite the disaster. And I never did get to play with Elizabeth... Sighing slightly, she rubbed the salt from her eyes before pushing herself up to a sitting position, frowning down at herself as she realized she had not even bothered to get changed before passing out last night. Gods, grandfather would have a fit.

Valerie finally stood up, walking over to the chest that contained her armor, opening it up and giving each piece a brief inspection. That is quite enough out of Valerie Rhitegast for the time being. It is time for the Knight to have his fun. Quickly Valerie donned her gear and packed up her belongings before slinging her pack over her back, nearly falling over with the effort, and picking up the cage that held her new friend Wayne Jr. "Well, this should be exiting, yes?" The hawk cawed in agreement and pecked at the lock of its cage. Valerie giggled slightly, picking up her helmet as she shook her head. "Not quite yet. Let us get out of the city first, alright?"

Valerie slowly made her way downstairs doing her best not to topple over from everything she was carrying, and made her way out to the wagon. She sighed in relief as she set her belongings down and quickly ducked inside to grab a cup of coffee herself. The scalding hot liquid helped rouse her from her zombie like state, and she attempted to hide the obvious hangover as she approached those gathered outside once more. "Good morning everyone. Thank you again, Madame and Master Silverbane for hosting us for the past week. You have been most generous." She gave them as much of a curtsy as she could manage in her armor before smiling apologetically towards Elizabeth. "And thank you as well Elizabeth for inviting me last night... although I think I may avoid such establishments in the future."

Virra practically leaped out of bed when morning came. Without a hangover or the prospect of leaving home to trouble her, the investigator's only worry was how much breakfast she ought to have before hitting the road. That, and the group's newest acquisition. She sighed as she threw her travel clothes on, wondering how well she could hide her particular skills from the magic cop. It took Ander, Eliza and Ty less than a day to find out, she remembered. Only that had been okay, since none of them had the authority to throw her in jail for being special.

She managed to bury the thought for long enough to gather her things, including her newly purchased lockpicks -- another thing to think about hiding during the trip -- and head downstairs to grab a bite and throw her bag on the wagon. She decided to follow up Val's thanks to the Silverbane parents, adding a dubious curtsey of her own. "It's been great," she confirmed cheerily, then pointed to Elizabeth. "But when I see you again, I'm going to hear you sing. All right?"

Rowanne frowned at the sight of the already risen sun, she was usually already up and down with her prayers by then, but after staying up later that usual she'd slept longer than intended. What an unusual night, she wondered if staying up to participate was worth it. She decided one late morning wouldn't hurt, she could do her prayers as they traveled, and she got out of bed. She dressed, adorned herself with her armor, and helped herself to some of the dried meat in her pack. Rowanne strapped her greatsword to her back, wrapped her belt around her waist, made sure her shield was properly secured to her pack and pulled the load onto her back. The sheath weapon on her back dug in for a moment; she readjusted, good. 'Athena, give me strength and wisdom.'

Rowanne found her way outside, to find a few of the others surrounding a wagon. Relief washed over her as she spotted the vehicle, good, she wouldn't have to carry this the entire time. Her eyes searched for Niradnam and a smile graced her lips at the sight of him. She trotted up to him, "Good morning!" she said breathlessly, "So I can put my pack on the wagon?" She removed the bag from her back and set it on the ground. She dug through it's contents and produced a book with a sketch of a flower on the cover. "I'm eager to show you what I found along the way, so I want to make sure I have access to this." she lifted up the book to indicate that was what she was referring to.

Ander rose early, finding himself and Rupert covered by a blanket asleep in one of the chairs in the library. He took the piglet outside to do his business as he prepared for his daily prayers at sunrise. He prayed for a safe trip and for the friends he's met over the last few weeks, along with the usual devotional prayers that were nearly second nature to him at this point. He collected his tiny pig friend who was happily chasing a mouse through the grounds of the manor.

He strode out to the front of the building to see the wagon almost fully loaded and a good number of his traveling companions ready to go. The large redheaded man with a thick beard clanged forward in his shining armor and a piglet peeking out of his pack. He smiled at their hosts, shaking Baldrus' hand before heading to the wagon. He looked around, noting the new gal he hasn't met before, but he remained quiet for now, figuring they'd get to know each other in time. He set his pack and Rupert into the cart and leaned against the outside, ready to get rolling.

Woken by the sun, as was with most days when you spent life on the road. Magnolia ducked into the kitchen, for a loaf of still warm bread and a portion of butter as well with a small cheese wheel wrapped in wax. Her attempts to tip the helpful staff when unrecieved, apparently they didn't take gratuities.

Making her way outside, her cheery demeanor was raised even higher by the sight of a wagon. Afterall walking had its merrits but her feet were a bit tired from dancing the night before.

She proceeded to thank her hosts, who for rich folk were surprisingly hospitable; there was hope for them yet.

"Alright, as my friend Sergei the circus master use to say, let's get this show on the road! Thank you one and all for your hospitality, may Yondalla smile on you!"

She made a mental note to bless the house on their way out the gate, it was a good home.

Wyford | Silverbane Manor:

Baldrus and Elizabeth gave Ty the strongest hugs out of the family, though the young bard still seemed a bit worn out from the events of the night prior. Baldrus smiled at his son, "Maybe on yer way back you stop by for dinner before headin' out again, eh?"

Thomas and Sabine both grinned, Thomas shrugging, "Eh, only so much we can truly manage, but at least the firestarter'll be gone again."

Elizabeth laughed at Virra's and Valerie's comments, "Tavern's like that are definitely not for everyone -- but even if it's not a tavern, hopefully next time I'll get to perform for the group," she did a playful bow.

Moriana nodded to the group with a smile, "I'll see what I can figure out with regards to your friend Pyria and hopefully have news before too long." She and her husband both bowed to the group, "It was our pleasure to host you all, and hope you return in good conditions and glad spirits." Baldrus added under his breath with a smirk towards Tyrius, "An' maybe not try to sneak so many ladies in, eh?"

Bowing in response to the Silverbanes, Niradnam smiled at Rowanne's approach, "Good morning to you as well." He gestured to the wagon, "I've placed my larger things in there, but the rest I've got on me," patting his satchel he continued, his eyes fixed on the book she held, "I look forward to learning -- perhaps you can find even more on the rest of this trip?"

Eliza had decided to turn in early for the night. Her travels had taught her a new found appreciation for not sleeping in twiggy, muddy outdoors. She would deal with Faust later.

The mouse was jostled awake the next day and found himself in an unfamiliar pocket. Suspicious, he peeked out his head and looked up to see nerdy boy. At least this one didn’t own a cat, he thought disgusted. He had no idea why anyone would own such useless pests.

He leapt out of the pocket as soon as the room door was opened and ran back to his human. That was until he was nearly trampled by a war hog charging at him. With a faint squeak Faust ran for his life across the manor looking for his Eliza and with a well-timed jump and bounce off of a side table leapt into her pocket just as she came into view.

The half-orc caught the piglet and barely held the squirming piglet till its owner came. “Good morning, Ander.” She said cheerfully, “Excited to get back on the road?”

"Aye, that I am, Miss Eliza. Somethin' about the road beneath my feet has always gotten me in a good mood." He lifted Rupert up and placed the little pig on the broad shoulder of his armor. "Much as I 'ppreciate the 'commodations, fancy beds and feats ain't really for me."

“Hopefully we don’t get into more fights.” Eliza knew it was an empty hope but she still clung desperately to the idea of it just being a pleasant trip with friends.

Nervously patting down her dress she got ready to head out. “At least the group seems solid. Maybe imagining us as adventurers heading out on a magnificent quest will help.”

Rowanne smiled, looking down at the book then back up to look into Niradnam's eyes. "I hope so, it's a nice change to be away from the University." She shrugged, "I don't think I ever told you I don't particularly care for working there, but I have my reasons for staying." She look a deep breath before closing her pack and lifting it into the wagon. Rowanne said another quick prayer to Athena to help her clear her mind of pleasant things. "I'll show you this later, once we're settled on the road."

She gave a quick bow to her hosts and then sat on the ground near the cart, flipping through her book as she waited for their departure.

Valerie gave the two nobles a final curtsy before making her way over to the cart. She managed a warm, "Good morning." to her companions before climbing on to the cart and resting her head against her pack, closing her eyes as she tried to will her headache away. Gods, this is going to be a long trip... Taking another sip of coffee, she felt another sensation begin to wash over her. Some sort of primal apprehension, or perhaps excitement. She cracked an eye open and looked over to the ring on her finger, staring at it for a moment. Not long now... soon, we will have answers. I promise.

North East of Wyford | Camp:

With a few more waves and partings the group set out, wagon filled with both people and gear. Rupert the piglet eventually tired of being held and ran around inside the wagon while Wayne Jr flew a few times from the wagon doing circles before returning, at one point with a rodent in his beak.

Travel was reasonable until the road eventually became little more than a rut in the grassland, needing to push the wagon to get the wheels unstuck a few times. Egnaro favored riding on Niradnam's shoulders most of the journey, a few times scurrying off after something that caught the cat's eye in the grass. Wind pushed at the group as they went, a chill to it that only grew as the sun set.

Finally, with the darkening sky, a place was sought to make camp, each moving to a task -- Banrigg untethered the horses and instead tied them to a nearby spindly tree to prevent them running off while the others worked on putting newly purchased tents up. Helping to gather firewood, Niradnam stood before the pit, mentally sending, "Watch this," to Virra as with one hand he held the small arcane focus normally at his hip and the other hand he snapped his fingers, causing a fire to roar to life.

As rations were pulled out and the camp essentially put together, the scholar set himself to a ritual, muttering with what appeared to be a spellbook open on his lap.

Would this be a night of discussion, or merely the end to the first day's journey?

Despite her lingering fear that Rowanne might be watching her for signs of deviance, Virra had a pleasant time riding in the cart. She spent the bulk of her time fiddling with Cate's new shoes, trying to get Egnaro to sit in her lap, or otherwise just watching the world go by.

When they struck camp she was busy putting up her new tent when Niradnam spoke into her mind. She turned to watch him immediately, thinking she was about to see him turn into a human-animal hybrid right there on the spot. Still, watching him covertly light up the firepit was entertaining too. "Oh, that's cool," she replied in a mental whisper. "That was you "recreating elements", right, like you said? Seriously, that's amazing." Maybe with a bit more buttering up he'd start showing her the animal stuff.

Once Virra had her tent fully established, she took a quick trip inside to get a feel for it and spread her things out, then hopped back out to look for something that'd keep her occupied. With the fire blazing, that thing turned out to be socialising while devouring her evening's rations. "Hey, Val," she said as she tucked into some warm flatbread wrapped around a bit of goat's cheese, "I was wondering about your ring. You said it came from your grandfather, right? Was he some kind of wizard who liked to enchant things like that, or is it like a long-time family heirloom? I know you said he never talked about it being powerful, so I'm curious."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread