Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling slightly reassured by these strangers, she let her guard down a little bit...
"I don't suppose anyone feels up to another game of checkers before bed?" It hade been so long, mags secretly hoped for someone to take her up on her offer.
These new people were certainly interesting...

Eliza decided to take her up on that offer. It would give her an opportunity to talk some more about Magnolia’s magic. “I would love to give it a go now we are indoors.”

Virra immediately seized on the idea. "Yeah, I want another game too. WIth actual forfeits this time." Another thought struck her, and she clapped her hands. "Hey, do you have a bedroll? You can sleep in our room!"

"Of course I do! Don't expect to get so lucky this time!"
So Magnolia spent the night in their room, playing Negrastic checkers and reading cookies. For some adults this may have seemed childish, but to the halfling it was just a fun time.
She told Eliza all about her relationship with Yondalla, how she came to her in a time of need. She told of the gods favor of the halflings, and how the preservation of life was paramount. She even recited the dogma:

Those who seek to live in accordance with the way of the Provider will be blessed with a cornucopia of riches. Seek peace and comfort, for a life lived with both is true wealth. Although violence should never be welcomed, the Protector's aegis will extend to those willing to fiercely defend their home and community. Lead through example, and know the activities of those you lead so that you can help shoulder their burdens when need be. Treasure your family, for your parents gave you life and your children are your future. Care for the aged and the weak, for you never know when you may be one of the strong laid low.
She was always happy to talk about her god, and secretly hoped that these new friends could understand her plight.
The night grew late and it was time for sleep. If anyone was perceptive enough to notice; Mags had fallen asleep holding something she wore around her neck.

Eliza carried the items she bought that day to their room and cleared a space for the game. After a few enthusiastic minutes of slinging pillows on the floor and lining the area with some cozy blankets using her new mage hand, the half-orc stood in the middle of the mayhem and decided it seemed a tad much. She chucked a few of the pillows back on the bed and nodding approvingly at the setup and waited for the others to catch up and begin.

She had a great night listening and learning about Magnolia's magic. "My parents were big with the whole church thing." She shrugged, "I never knew anyone could do so much magic without formal schooling." She was growing to appreciate how diverse the world of arcana truly was. It was comforting to think that Azarad wasn't the only means, maybe she could become a cleric like Magnolia or Cate if it meant she could learn more.

Giving a yawn as Magnolia got well into her game, even though he wanted to stick around and hear more about her god but eventually he had to excuse himself and head to his room.

'Something tells me I need my rest for tomorrow. Bringing up Pyria while explaining how yet another magical woman arrived in our house.' Tyrius thought to himself as he flopped down on his mattress, asleep within seconds.

Virra happily joined in with lounging on the floor and getting into a groove with Negrastic checkers. Magnolia's impromptu sermon got to be a bit much for her, especially in the later parts, but she occasionally dipped back into the conversation when she felt she had something funny to say.

As the topic wound its way back to the study of magic, she yawned. "Formal studying's only really good for learning the basics of stuff. I think people would learn a lot faster if they were just allowed to figure it out on their own." She stood and stretched, catching a brief glimpse of something Magnolia was holding near her neck. She'd have to get a good look at it in the morning...

Morning of the Twelfth Day | Wyford | Silverbane Manor:
Morning of the Twelfth Day | Wyford | Silverbane Manor:

Everyone eventually heading off to sleep, the next day begins: the final day the group intended to stay in Wyford before heading out. The sun rises on what appears to be a pleasant morning, a few scattered clouds flitting through the sky, breezes working their way across the plains.

Master and Madame Silverbane both sit at the table this morning, aware of the latest guest that was brought in, and quietly speak between themselves. Sabine and Thomas, as usual for the past few days, are already long gone for their morning routines while Elizabeth and Niradnam currently sit at the table enjoying their breakfast. Unlike before where Niradnam was dressed in casual and comfortable attire, he seems today to be wearing more travel-intended clothing like thicker leather boots and a heavy dark maroon duster.

Valerie woke up and yawned, rubbing the salt away from her eyes. She grimaced for a moment at a second pulsing headache from her ring. Yes, yes, I'm up already, what is it this time... Oh, today is the day, is it not? Our last day here before we are back on the roads... might as well live it in comfort. She rolled out of bed and looked around the empty room, feeling a small pang of loneliness. I hope the others had fun with their game night... I guess it is for the best that I am well rested, though. Perhaps we may find some sort of lead on Ander's family?

Walking to the middle of the room, Valerie glanced between the two chests, one which held the armor and helmet she typically wore, and the other (formerly Ander's) in which she had neatly folded her newly purchased dresses. Thinking to herself for a moment, she decided. It is likely the last time I will be in any sort of situation where it would be appropriate to dress well... Might as well enjoy the day, right? She selected one of her newer purchases, one that had made her laugh when she had found it in the store at the irony. The dress was rather short skirted and stark white with a strange texture to it formed by inlaid white beads that glittered in the right lighting. Valerie held it up and took a second to appreciate the outfit before she frowned as she made a shocking discovery. I forgot to pack another pair of shoes! Gods, my only options are my boots from my armor, or the heels from 'the dress'! I suppose heels it is, I can always fix the color. She then made her way to the bathroom, glancing wistfully at the other girls' room as she went. I'm sure they did not mean anything buy it... after all, I was rather dreadful at that game. I am sure they probably just did not think I would enjoy it. With a slight sigh, she opened the door to the bathroom and began to get ready for the day.

A little while later, Valerie came down the stairs of the manor, her now matching heels clicking softly with every step as she made her way towards the dining room. For a moment, she panicked in her head at being the first one down with only the Silverbane family (who she was fairly certain did not like her very much other than Elizabeth) and Niradnam in attendance, but none of her apprehension showed on her face. She smiled to them all warmly and took a seat next to Elizabeth. "Good morning to you all! Gods, I wish I could have used another hour or so of sleep, but there is not very much time left to spare." She turned to Elizabeth and inquired with a bit of a mischievous grin. "Have any fun last night? You have the most interesting stories."

Eliza rolled of the bed in sleepy haze, I should have gone to bed earlier. She stifled a yawn and tried to get dressed quietly in one of her simpler dresses, just a dark blue with silvery detailing around the cuffs and waist. She picked up the Faust and tucked him still sleeping in his custom-made pocket.

She felt sad about leaving such a comfortable place. She would miss having these soft beds on the road. She left the room closing the door quietly after her trying not to bang her stick around like usual.

She reached the dining room after some time and greeted Val with a warm wave, “Faust was asking about you yesterday night. I think your cookies certainly left an impression on him.” She smiled and turned to Niradnam and tried to surreptitiously tap at her head while staring at him. She hoped he got her signal.

Magnolia slept, sprawled across the floor on a bed of pillows. Her loud snoring was cut short at the sound of the room door closing. Bolting upright,a knife materialised in her hand from beneath her pillow. Surveying the cookie carnage about the room; it still took her five minutes to remember where she was.
oh right! My field friends let me sleep on their floor! Hhmmm... This place is pretty fancy, I wonder if they have breakfast...
Thanks for the great night last night Yondalla!
She kissed the pendent around her neck and hurried from the room.

She wasn't sure where she was going but with Yondalla on her side, she knew she'd end up where she needed to be...

Spread across his bed, Tyrius hadn't even bothered to get under the blanket the night before. He'd just fallen asleep and was dead to the world for a good seven hours. Blearily opening his eyes, he looked around the room as he remembered this would be the last day before they headed back out again. 'No matter what, got to talk about Pyria today,' thought Tyrius as he got dressed in a dark blue suit, making sure he moved the Azarad pin onto the lapel of his suit. 'Which also brings up our new guest.' Tyrius thought as he rummaged in a drawer before just settling on a wine red coloured tie. 'First Pyria, then Valerie. I can practically see it coming,' Tyrius thought as he started knotting his tie, making it the right size to fit between his collars as he thought of what was probably coming his way.

Heading downstairs, Tyrius could hear some of the chatter at the table as he approached the dining room door. "Good morning," Tyrius said as he quickly grabbed some toast and sat down next to Elizabeth. 'Easy conversation first, if I can,' Tyrius thought, knowing exactly how much Elizabeth loved tales.

Silverbane Manor | Dining Hall:

Those at the table nodded to Valerie and Elizabeth as they joined them, Elizabeth turning to Valerie with a smile. "Last night there was a bar fight at the Leaping Hag! One of the brawlers was a tiefling -- and I've heard they tend to have some innate abilities -- he stood up on a table, swore in some language I don't understand, and all the doors and windows slammed open!" She laughed, "Whole tavern went silent in surprise before someone threw a chair at him and told him to get off the damn table!"

Continuing to chuckle she smiled at Ty as he sat down, "Morning Ty. When did you all even get back? I thought I'd be the last to bed as usual? And what's with the outfit?"

Niradnam glanced at Eliza as she tried to signal him and sighed, before reaching for a drink, looking at her over the mug as his voice appeared in her mind: "What."

Silverbane Manor | Random Hallway:

As Magnolia wanders the halls of the manor, a few times she spots a black cat wandering as well -- likely the same from the night prior. If attempting to follow, eventually a servant passes by before speaking up, "Uhm ... Lady? Are you lost in the halls? I can guide you to breakfast if you wish."

“Hello...hope you are listening. Okay...okay, listen,” Eliza struggled to put all her fragmented thoughts and ideas into one coherent, well, thought. “Can we talk somewhere more private? I know I am not your favourite person and really, you don’t have to like me or even trust me, okay, but just give me a chance and hear me out after breakfast, alright. It has to do with Pyria...”

Eliza looked at Niradnam nervously and tried to give him a reassuring grin that ended up looking kind of painful. She thought she would have more time to have this talk but seeing him all packed up and in his traveling clothes through that notion out of the window.

Listening to Elizabeth's tale, Tyrius couldn't resist chuckling as she told its end.

"Err, we got back late." answered Tyrius, "And I felt like dressing smartly."

'Might as well get it out of the way,' thought Tyrius.

"We were looking for bandits last night and we met a new friend. Who was teaching us checkers so I - invited them over for the night." said Tyrius, glancing around the table and looking to his parents.

'Just say it you fool.' chided Tyrius in his own mind, 'Just say "could we talk later today about Pyria?" Seven words. It is not that hard.'

"Could we maybe talk after breakfast?" Tyrius asked, looking to his parents.

Ander entered from outside, having been taking part in morning rituals in a secluded part of the grounds. He sat down at the table as quietly as a man in splint armor could, looking quite a bit more tired than was usual for him. He accepted coffee and food, but remained quiet.

When Virra finally stopped drowsing in her bedsheet cocoon and sat upright, she found that she was all alone in the room. Feeling unaccountably anxious, she crossed her legs and began to perform her morning exercises, running through a series of mental drills and letting her mind wander out to touch others through the noosphere. It brought her a little calm, though something still nagged at the edge of her thoughts.

She shook her head and got up, getting changed and combing her hair with most of her usual speed. The brisk walk downstairs to the dining room gave her enough time to gather her wits and put a cheery face on before she greeted the assembled household. "Morning!" she said to everyone already present, then began to make her way around the table towards Tyrius. She didn't intend to announce it to the world, but maybe the two of them could have a quick telepathic talk about what was making her so uneasy. As it happened, though, the sight of Ander quietly taking his breakfast alone made her pause. Acting casually, she slowed down and lingered at the side of his chair, still smiling.

"Hey. How're you doing?" she asked, realising suddenly that he hadn't been all there last night either. Another thing that she'd forgotten.

Valerie smiles to the half-orc as she approached and waved in response, feeling slightly relieved for the company. “Hello, Eliza! Faust made quite the impression on me as well, where is the little guy?” She noticed that Eliza was no longer paying attention and shrugged slightly, smiling warmly to Tyrius as he entered. “Good morning to you as well, Tyrius!”

Valerie then turned to Elizabeth as she began to speak, enthralled by the tale, although she flinched a bit at the cursing. Laughing, she grinned. “Wow, that sounds awful exciting. Perhaps if we do not intend to spend the night in a field, I might join you this evening? If you would have me, of course.”

Valerie waved to Virra as she walked in, but it was clear that she was focused on something. She turned her attention to her food, enjoying one of her final proper meals.

Faust perked a sleepy ear at the sound of his name and peeked out of his pocket. He saw it was the cookie woman and waved frantically at his new friend. He hoped out of the pocket and scampered happily to Valerie and nabbed a piece of bacon from Eliza’s plate on the way.

He adjusted his bowtie and took a deep bow in greeting to the gentle lady and provider of choice baked goods. His lady was far too health conscious and picky about what he ate for her own good.

Eliza chugged her fourth mug of straight black coffee and kept staring awkwardly at Niradnam, eye twitching.

Magnolia stared intently at the cat, "Hi! You are either a very curios kitten or you are smarter then you let on. I'm Magnolia, you can call me Mags!" Knowing full well the cat would either run away terrified or prove her suspicions correct, her attentions turned to the servant.

Raising her voice a few octaves and allowing herself to speak in an affluent fashion, "Why that would be lovely! I am afraid I appear to have given myself the grand-tour!" She couldn't maintain it for long as she burst out laughing, "Sorry, not use to people calling me lady. Yeah I got lost in this giant darn house think I made a left or a right where I should have gone up or down or... i dunno. Tell me, these Silvermanes are they good honest people? It's okay, I'm a priest I wont tell anyone."

Gosh, why were these servants dressed up so nice.

She found it quite odd that they didn't wear more comfortable clothes, considering the amount of work they seemed to do around the house.

Backwards country I tell you.

Silverbane Manor | Dining Hall:

Baldrus sighed at Tyrius' words, "Aye ... we heard this morning. Truly lad, we host, but we're not the tavern."

Moriana smiled as she patted her husband's hand, then nodded at Ty, "Yes ... I think it's best we have a discussion for sure."

Elizabeth grinned to Valerie, "Sure! If you're still around the castle, I'll try to find you. Maybe tonight I'll head for the Devil and see what happens there?"

Finishing his sip, Niradnam set the mug down, reaching for a few more grapes on an offered platter, glancing up to see Eliza's fixated stare with a bit of surprise. He watched the mouse scamper around the table for a moment before looking back to Eliza: "This isn't private enough ...? Also, you do not need to stare at me for the link to be open ... it's only on my end." He popped a grape into his mouth as he continued, "How does this involve the elven woman Pyria?"

Silverbane Manor | Random Hallway:

The cat glanced back at Magnolia for a moment, tip of the tail twitching before it picked up the pace and trotted away.

The servant bowed slightly, "Er ... yes, the Silverbanes are quite a pleasant family. They've been here at Wyford for a few generations now. If you'll follow me, Lady, I can lead you towards the dining hall."

heh glad I didn't get that wrong to their faces... I wonder if all the servants have sticks already up their butts, or it's placed there as a condition of employment...
really glad our telepathic friend isn't here to listen in on this...

to bad that cat didn't want to talk...

Entering the main dining hall, she noticed it apparently was a formal affair.
Who dresses up for breakfast? She thought. Not for a moment feeling out of place in her homespun hooded tunic and comfortable pants.

Finding an empty seat at the table she greated her host, "hullo, you must be Lord and Lady Silverbane, thank you for your wonderful hospitality. Of course she then began to eat with a vengeance.

"Sorry, still new to this telepathy thing." Eliza busied herself with her breakfast trying to act normal. "So I guess Tyrius has already shared with you the details of how we found Pyria and what we did to try and help her. I think it is fair to say that we are way out of our depth here. Now of course our plan will depend on what the Silverbanes say, but whatever they decide we would still be having a living doorknob and no plan." She found it difficult but she was trying to pick her next thoughts carefully but wouldn't it all be read by Niradnam in a jumble? She tried to clear her mind and focus on her request for help, "You, on the other hand, are an elf who has studied the arcane. So it would be safe to assume that you probably know more than most about strange elven doorways. Will you lend your experience and knowledge to helping out Pyria?"

Eliza thought about apologizing but she realized she wan't actually sorry about reading his mind. She had worried that he meant the Silverbanes harm but she did feel it could have gone down better. Her eyes widened in shock as she realized he had probably read the last part and panicked she almost fell out of her chair. "I did not tell Tyrius though! It is up to you when and where, or even if, you decide to tell him. Please don't turn out evil though because it would make things awkward with my new friends." Her face was flushed red but she looked Niradnam down unflinching.

Nodding to his parents, Tyrius turned his attention to the easier discussion and looked to Elizabeth. "Um, Elizabeth, I've an idea that might work out well in the long run," Tyrius suggested, "You wouldn't happen to know where we can get seven cheap blank tomes and some writing equipment? What I'm thinking is, when we're travelling, we keep a diary. Then, when I come back, you could use my diary as a source of stories if you wanted." Tyrius suggested.

Seeing the mouse emerge from Eliza’s robes, Valerie giggled as he bowed to her. Reaching down a hand, she offered it to kiss. “Good morning to you as well, little gentleman. I trust you slept well?”

Valerie then smiled warmly back to Elizabeth. “That sounds like such fun! Grandfather always said that taverns were the spine of a city, and that you could learn much about one from the way in which patrons conduct themselves... he also forbade me from entering them for quite some time. I believe this would be my first time entering one as myself.” She glanced over to Eliza, who seemed to be battling some sort of intestinal distress, and figured she’d ask her if she’d like to come later.

As Tyrius spoke, Valerie grinned to him teasingly. “Tyrius, are you suggesting that it would take more than a snap of your fingers for your servants to pile dozens of pens and journals on to this table? That is of course unless nobility is treated rather differently than where I am from.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back