Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banrigg did his best to help the servants clean up his portion of the dinner, still unused to he whole servant business. He then retrieved his maul and grabbed his pack and followed them to his assigned room. Looking around at the interior, the dwarf was amazed by the sheer size of it, considering it was only a guest room. Shaking his head, he put his maul in the corner of the room with his other equipment, and tried to look out the window at the storm.

The small window did not allow for much view of the sky itself, so Banrigg retrieved his cloak so he could go out and enjoy the storm. He thought he heard a loud crack outside the door, and some muffled voices, but he thought nothing of it. There were probably countless people in this house, they were sure to make some noise.

Once he was properly dressed, Banrigg backed out of his room — just in time to see Eliza’s aggressive expression towards the stranger with her wand up. His eyebrows rose and his body tensed, but he attempted to keep his voice casual. “Uhh, ‘ello. Everythin’ alright here?”

Eliza takes a deep breath before putting back her wand, “Just discussing some stuff.” She finally turns around and enters her room closing the door with a slam.

Hearing Eliza start mumbling to herself, Virra paused in the middle of testing the springiness of the new beds. "What'd you say?" she asked, too late. The half-orc had already taken off at speed, apparently chasing Faust. She frowned. The mouse had never been disobedient before... and wouldn't Eliza have some magic to stop him anyway?

Virra tried to brush it off and entertain herself in the new room, which she managed for almost a minute before pushing the door open and going in search of her roommate. It wasn't difficult to follow the echoing footsteps and harsh whispering until she reached the corner and found Eliza, and Banrigg too, and... was that Niradnam further down the corridor? Intrigued, she watched Eliza head back into the room and whistled quietly as the door slammed. "Oof. That sounded rough," she said, peering around Banrigg to get a look at the Azarad scholar still in the hall. "You didn't start talking about money, did you?"

Wyford | Silverbane Manor | 2nd Floor:

At Eliza's tone Niradnam brought his hands up, trying to appear nonthreatening while she backed away, replying to her mentally, "I wasn't -- I'm pissed off because you tried to read my mind without permission! Maybe your friends need to know who they're dealing with too!"

At seeing Banrigg he stiffened and with the slammed door he winced. With a sigh he dropped his hands and picked up Egnaro who took his place sprawled across the man's shoulders. Idly scatching the cat's head he muttered, "No ... we had other topics. Unless either of you wish to yell at me as well, I shall see you in the morning." Niradnam started to turn and head towards his room.

"See you," Virra called cheerily. She gave Banrigg a quick wave and left him there, hurrying back to the guest room.

"What was that?" she asked the moment she saw Eliza, not even trying to hide the grin on her face. "Niradnam's being really cagey. Did you have a fight? What about? C'mon, give me a clue."

Eliza changed for bed in a frustrated rush, “The nerve of that...that insufferable-“ she huffed not able to summon the words. “I am not saying I am blameless but he did not need to treat me like that either!”

She lay on her bed and stared at the ceiling waving her wand to draw illusions of glittering stars around her head, “I don’t think I am at liberty to say much, to be honest. I used a spell to read his mind and uncovered his deepest, darkest secrets.” she rolled her eyes, “He didn’t quite like that. All I can say is that he will be interested to know you can communicate telepathically.”

Virra listened closely as she climbed into bed, only slightly distracted by the illusions Eliza drew in the air. At the admission that she'd pried into Niradnam's mind, Virra looked like she'd been struck. "Yeah, that's... I can imagine," she mumbled, turning away to try and hide her surprise.

A moment later she turned right back. "Wait, what? What are you saying?" Her expression slowly turned from confused to incredulous. "Hey, don't be coy about this. Are you saying Niradnam's..."

“I just wanted you to know. If you wanted to you could try talking to him. Maybe it will make him feel better.” Eliza’s muffled voice came from under layers of bedding. “Virra, I think I messed up. I think I am in way over my head.”

Virra broke into a smile. "Well, yeah." She swung her legs over the side of the bed. "Honestly, I still don't get why you didn't take a loan from Ben and go straight back to Chilldrift when you had the chance. But you're here now, so don't worry about it. Focus on squeezing your decision for everything you can get out of it." She raised an authoritative finger. "If you're not in over your head, you might as well not swim at all."

“I didn’t want to be indebted to anyone.” Faust untangles himselves from the blankets, smoothening his whiskers and on top of the lump. “I just hope I don’t drown in the process.” The bedraggled half-orc said in a final muffled whisper.

Dawn of the 10th day | Wyford | Silverbane Manor:
Dawn of the 10th day | Wyford | Silverbane Manor:

As the events of the night settle down and the storm eventually passes, a new day dawns. As each group wakes -- Ander noticing his room is missing another person -- they each find either under the door or near their bed a letter that reads:

Good mornin’
Meet me at the study on the second floor. It’s about time I came clean about somethin’. I hope y’all can still call me a friend after.
See ya soon,

The Salted Knight

The rest of the household seems to be readying for breakfast down below, and those that ask servants for directions are led towards a room on the side of the manor that the family resides. Niradnam is not seen by the group, however the black cat Egnaro does appear to be lounging in the hallway, dozing. Entering, the room looks comfortable and cozy, bookshelves lining the walls, candles here and there for lighting while a few more portraits and items are on display as well. Thick chairs circle the center of the room where a rug covers the stone flooring, the Silverbane crest upon it.

Inside the Knight stands waiting, a few trays of cookies set out on the small table between the chairs.

Last edited:
Waking up in his room, Tyrius yawned as he stared up at the ceiling. He was glad to be in his own bed in a way, but he was also eager to start trying to piece together their next moves. 'I hope Niradnam comes through, he seemed pretty knowledgeable last night but the way he reacted to Virra saying Elf - makes me wonder if he's had an encounter of his own.' Tyrius thought as he sat up, spotting the note that had been placed on his bedside table. Reading it over, Tyrius frowned in confusion.

Getting dressed in a simple but smart suit with a new tie, Tyrius ate a small breakfast, some toast and coffee before he headed for the study. Walking in, Tyrius smiled to the Knight. "Good day," said Tyrius, "Sleep well?"

The Knight glanced up from making a small adjustment to the placement of the cookies in surprise at Tyrius, not wearing his helmet for once. He smiled to the sorcerer. “Slept a heck of a lot better than I ever did on the road. Thanks again for the hospitality.” He paused for a moment before grinning. “Anyways, sorry fer givin’ ya an invitation ta yer own house. Help yerself ta a cookie, they’re baked fresh by that lovely dwarvish woman down the road. I hope ya don’t mind if I wait fer the others ta start.”

Tyrius shrugged, "No problem. On either count." he said. Tyrius didn't find it a problem at all. If anything he was more intrigued at what was going on. "Oh, these'll be very nice cookies then." said Tyrius, helping himself to one. "Don't mind at all. Beats repeating yourself until everyone's here." said the sorcerer with a smile as he sat down.

Ander was up and dressed before the dawn as always and noticed the knight's absence when he woke. Reading the note, he continued with his normal prayer routine until around the time he would expect the others to wake up.

He came into the room with the knight, standing off to the side quietly as he adjusted his scabbard on his shoulder. He nodded to the knight, raising an eyebrow, but remained quiet as he waited for the others to join them.

As soon as Virra dressed and discovered the note, she grabbed her things and hurried to the study, pausing only to make a brief pass at Egnaro -- crouching down and clicking her tongue a little -- before she arrived to find the Knight, Tyrius and Ander all gathered in an awkward silence. "Morning!" she called, skipping in to take a seat next to Tyrius. "Eliza'll be along in a minute. Probably. I didn't really ask her before I came." She glanced at the nearest tray of cookies and used her mind to --

No. She still hadn't told the Knight about her secret, and she wanted to hear his first. She awkwardly leaned out of her seat to reach for a cookie without changing her cross-legged posture.

Banrigg woke up the next morning feeling very well rested. He always loved the sound of a good storm in the background to help him fall asleep. Banrigg got dressed, then checked if his clothes from the night before were still wet, which they were. Leaving them hanging to dry, Banrigg noticed the note and set out to find the study. After a couple of questions to the servants, he finally found the correct room, and saw some of his party members already there. He gave everyone a wide smile as he greeted them, which was slightly uncharacteristic of him, "G'day chaps. Fine mornin', don't cha think? Oooh are those cookies for us? Don't mind if I do." Banrigg grabbed a couple cookies and found an open seat as he waited for...whatever this was to proceed.

Eliza was woken up by someone, probably Virra, closing the door to the room. She got up and saw the letter on the side table inviting her to the study. “Maybe if you wait long enough people eventually tell you their secrets.” She mumbled to Faust.

Using her mage hand she got ready for the day and then went to the study room where everyone had already gathered. She waved hellow to everyone and seeing the plate of cookies picked up one and dropped it to Faust who started nibbling happily.

The Knight smiled and greeted each person in turn as they entered, before finally walking over and closing the door behind the last arrival. He turned to face them, a somewhat forcefully cheerful smile on his face. “So! Good mornin’ ta all of ya, I hope ya had pleasant rests. I bet yer all wonderin’ why only now I’ve decided ta speak ta ya all...”

The Knight paused, and glanced over to Ander for a moment before continuing. “I spoke with Ander last night about a lot ‘f things, chief among em being trust. I realized that y’all have been some of the kindest, friendliest, bravest people I’ve ever met, and that if I ever want ta be able ta really count myself amongst ya, I have ta be honest about who I really am.”

The Knight took a deep breath before speaking in a strange, unknown language, and suddenly his form began to shift, break, and fall away like flakes of salt in the breeze. The decrepit, salt encrusted form of the Knight faded, and in his place stood a strikingly attractive young human girl of about nineteen. She was wearing a light tunic and trousers, and her hair was done up in a tight bun, but her posture and mannerisms showed signs of a formal upbringing. On her right hand was an odd looking white ring that appeared to be made out of a pure white mineral. The only thing that remained unchanged about the person’s appearance was the eyes, which were still the same warm amber as her gaze swept across the group. I wonder what they all are thinking... I suppose there is no turning back now. She spoke in a voice that couldn’t be more different from the Knight’s gravely tone, although there were hints of a similar accent. “So... I suppose I should introduce myself properly now. My name is Valerie Rhitegast. It is so good to truly meet you all.” Valerie smiled and gave the group a curtsy, hiding her nerves as best she could manage.

“I figured you were hiding something with magic. At least you aren’t an elf.” Eliza shrugged sleepily. It was way too early for a meeting and she needed her coffee. She could smell some, someone here had some earlier she thought quite jealous. “Why though? Am I missing something here?” She wished Valerie had brought that instead of cookies.

Tyrius sat in stunned silence, his mouth opening and closing but no sound coming out. 'Wait wait wait, fifty year old ish man - late teens early twenties woman. How? Why?'

At the mention of elf, Tyrius did a double take, "Why... would that matter if The Knight was an elf?" said Tyrius, finally regaining the use of his mouth though his eyes were still wide.

“Uh...Just something I read in my story books. Ugly knight turns to beautiful elven princess. Such a cliche trope.” Eliza giggled uncomfortably. “Speaking of which, can I talk to you in private after this. I had a question about...eh...lighting and trees and hey maybe Niradnam can help too.”

Ander smiled as Valerie revealed herself. He was clearly doing better today, though he was notably wearing the holy symbol around his neck and kept grasping it idly as he sat there. "I think Miss Rhitegast used the disguise to be safer in her travels, knowing how bad the roads could be fer a young lady, but it seems she never really had an opportune time ta reveal her secret to us til now," Ander interjected, knowing it might still be a hard sell to convince the others.

Tyrius smiled to Eliza, "Sure, don't see why not." Turning back to Ms Rhitegast, Tyrius had finally recovered his senses enough that he could form a coherent thought, especially after Anders explanation. "Makes sense about the older disguise but, why the salt?" asked Tyrius, genuinely confused.

Virra almost choked on her cookie. "Oh. Well. So, you're not..." Of course, now that she was staring the real Knight in the face, the idea seemed kind of silly. "...Lestone's great-great- grandson or something," she muttered, turning to Eliza as she began to ramble about elves and how ugly the old Knight was. Well, that was a whole other matter to dig into.

As much as Ander seemed to know more about what was going on, his explanation didn't entirely click. "Is that really why you disguised yourself?" she asked Valerie, leaning forward. "Or is there some other reason? Are you an outlaw or something? Or a runaway?" She squinted at her oddly formal posture. "You're not another noble lady, are you?" Tyrius raised a pretty good point too; Virra nodded along. "Yeah, yeah, the salt. Is it something to do with...?" She pointed at the girl's white ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back