Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Knight smiled to Ander and took a seat, beginning to dig into his meal once more before nearly choking as Pyria mentioned knowing Lestone. "Wait, you-" He coughed, still choking slightly on his roasted pheasant. "Ya knew Lestone?" He paused for a moment as he thought to himself before speaking again, now in a flowing, formal sounding tongue. "Lady Pyria, I am a long ways from home, and truly I am in need of your aid. I believe that I am seeking out this man of whom you speak, and yet I know so little about him. Please, if there is anything that you know, I implore you for your aid."

As Virra opened the link, Tyrius was glad she'd picked up on how he was acting. "I think we got charmed when we came in through the door." Tyrius thought at Virra, starting to eat a little more so that Pyria wouldn't notice the fact he wasn't eating. "I just managed to shrug it off. Going to keep acting as if I'm charmed so if Pyria did do it she hopefully won't notice. Just be aware."

With Pyria addressing him, Tyrius had to avoid giving the game away with his jaw dropping when he heard her mention knowing a man named Lestone. 'Oh boy,' the sorcerer thought as he realised she might be involved. "I'm not sure you would know him, he makes these really nice leather shoes in Wyford." Tyrius acted as if he was trying to remember something when really he was clutching at straws trying to work up a believable story about someone who didn't even exist. "He has a large shop, named Pryces which he bought from the previous owner."

Deciding to try and shift the conversation back to Pyria and off himself before he somehow managed to dig himself any deeper, Tyrius asked, "So how do your days usually end up, Ms Pyria?"

Cabin:

Hearing the Knight switch to Elvish, Pyria smiled, replying in kind: "Unless one is in their home, isn't everyone a long way away?" Closing her eyes for a moment she sighed, "He visited me once as you all have, enjoying the food I cooked, though his language was coarse and rough."

Returning to common, she wore a confused expression, "Wyford? Sounds silly -- a place as a question: why-fjord?" She giggled, "My winding ways and dazzling days tend to keep me quite busy. Guests of all types end up on my doorstep!" Resting her head in her hands again she smiled, "I busy myself with creatively cooking, just in case! One must be a gloriously gracious host, no?"

The Knight frowned, recognizing the sadness in her voice as she spoke of Lestone leaving. "Please, Lady Pyria, I must ask that you tell me all that you can of this man. You say that his language was coarse. Like that of a sailor? By any chance did he have any sort of accent that you might recognize? Did he speak of anything that seemed important? I am sorry for questioning you so much in your own home after all the kindness and generosity you have shown to us, but I have so little to go on in my quest." He glanced around at his companions before looking back to Pyria. "My companions seek Lestone as well, and yet I am not certain that we are entirely united in our purposes." His frown deepened. "There is much I do not know."

"Charmed?" Virra tilted her head. "Well, that's interesting. Don't know why you'd think Pyria did that, but I'll keep an eye out, I guess."

What little attention she was paying to Tyrius's suspicions quickly fell away once Pyria mentioned that she happened to know Lestone, though she didn't manage to get a word in before the sorcerer began to double down on his lie about Cyne Lestone. She cringed at the shakiness of it. "Ty, no," she whined, re-opening the telepathic link just to share her disdain. "She could help us!" All while the Salted Knight spoke to Pyria in what she guessed was Elvish, Virra was fidgeting in her chair and waiting for the conversation to return to something she could follow.

Hearing Virra's voice in his head, Tyrius kept eating the food, noticing that what had been there already before Pyria set more food down was just as hot as the new food.

"We've been charmed and I know Pyria caused it." Tyrius replied, "Wish I was more original in my fibbing but would you trust someone when you were charmed just for being in their house?"

Last edited:
Cabin:

Pyria smiled sadly to the Knight, "I absolutely apologize, but as an honest host, it is rude to speak in tongues amongst such varied guests." She glanced towards Virra with a smile, noting her fidgeting.

"I suppose surely it could be said coarse language is that of a sailor, but I have met many nobles who speak rougher in private," Pyria giggled again. "What might be considered important? Does that not vary between people?" She thought for a moment, "He seemed quite keen to leave for some city along a coast." Pyria looked down at her hands, tapping her fingers, "He ... did not wish to stay very long once he learned all I had to offer was a meal." She smiled hesitantly, "I feel he expected my humble home to house treasures, but one might say I am the treasured host?"

Pyria was silent for a few moments before speaking again, "Is not a quest filled with questions on purpose? Were everything handed out so easily, quests would be so boring! Perhaps I can offer guidance, if I were to understand more?" Tilting her head back and forth as she looked across the group her vibrant red eyes landed on the Knight again as she asked with a smile, "For instance, why travel with those you doubt?"

The Knight listened intently as Pyria spoke of Lestone, frowning slightly as she spoke. "Lestone was some sorta thief? Did he say anythin' about what 'is business in the city was? Did he mention any names 'r anythin'?" At Pyria's last statement, however, the Knight frowned and shook his head and waved a hand. "That ain't at all what I meant when I was speakin' yer language. Apologies, I haven't had much 'f a chance ta speak it ta a native speaker before. It ain't my companions I'm doubtin', its myself. I'm followin' my gut more than anythin' else, and it hasn't led me astray yet. That's why ya might think I'm bein' ambiguous in my speech. There's a lot that I'm hazy on myself." He leaned back in his seat and picked up his helmet, staring at its face guard for a second before putting it back on.

Tyrius gave a smile, trying to make sure Pyria couldn't tell he wasn't still under the effects of her charm. Listening to her story about Lestone, Tyrius couldn't resist saying something after she finished. "Well, you are a very valuable treasure, as is your cooking." Tyrius smiled.

At Pyria's suggestion that she could help guide them, Tyrius was conflicted. She knew Lestone, she could help. At the same time, she'd charmed them once, who was to say she wouldn't do so again if given the opportunity. 'I'll see how the others behave, maybe we could persuade Pyria to help us and leave the charms for our adversaries.' the red headed sorcerer thought to himself.

Ander sat at the table, occasionally pretending to eat, but never really placing any of the food in his mouth, he was too weirded out by the entire situation. When he heard the Knight and Pyria speaking in a language that he understood, more or less, he became even more confused. I spend years learning a dead language, and these two speak it like it's their native tongue?

"So, I get the feelin' somethin' is goin' on here... folks are actin' weird, and I think you've got somethin' ta do wit it, ma'am." Ander stands up to face Pyria, but turns to the Knight with a concerned expression on his face, "We think Lestone is an undead thrall of the sea who has been murdering people on the sea's behalf. I, honestly, don't know much more than that, but beleive me, we only want an end to the deaths." His accent carries through, making the majority of what he said sound wrong, but still understandable. He returns his attention to Pyria, "I appreciate the hospitality as much as the next guy, but I think you are doin' somethin' underhanded, and I don't appreciate bein' lied to. If I hadn't protected myself, would I be actin' weird, too, Miss Pyria?"

Virra was right in the middle of nodding along to Tyrius's assessment of Pyria when the charm wore off, and suddenly her smile became awkwardly strained. "Right. What Ty said," she murmured. Keeping her eyes on the Knight and the elven hostess, she slowly and deliberately lifted her legs and crossed them beneath her on the chair, then gave her plate a conflicted glance. Then her tall paladin friend stood from the table, and Virra went rigid. "Easy, Ander," she whispered into his head. Gods, why hadn't she tried to communicate with him? She appreciated the sentiment, but...

Reasoning that if the food was poisoned she was already dead, Virra lifted a sausage from her plate and slowly chewed it as the cofrontation unfolded.

Last edited:
Eliza had sent Faust to scout along because he was much better at sneaking than her clunky, wooden staff and foot would ever allow. She was surprised to find what was inside and after seeing through Faust's eyes she found herself marveling at the pure magic infusing the room. She decided she simply had to get closer, to be able to inspect everything in more detail. She walked in and couldn't help staring at the host. Was that an actual elf? Eliza was so struck by witchcraft and the elf standing before her that all she could do was grab the nearest seat. It was all so wonderful, so incredibly wonderful and the the half-orc stared longingly at the woman whose very aura burned arcane, she found her simply charming-

charming?

Charming!

She almost leapt from her seat, ready to bolt out when she heard Tyrius' comments. Knowing that she wasn't the only one who escaped the charm gave her the courage to sit back and observe for the mean time especially since the elf had started to reveal some information that could help them on their journey. "You do understand why we might find it difficult to trust you now, don't you?" She said through pursed lips grabbing the edges of her staff tightly. Eliza Carabelli was not one to appreciate having her mind messed with.

Cabin:

"If I recall, before he started becoming quite angry for some reason, he was intending to strike a daring deal ... with some family he expected would pay him back tenfold?" Pyria smiled knowingly as the Knight admitted his doubt, "I can understand the sorrowful sense -- but instinct is to be trusted."

She smiled appreciatively to Tyrius before her attention was caught by Ander standing to his feet a shift of expressions crossing her face as the vibrant red of her features started to pale, taking on a bluish tint, a hurt expression on her face, "What ... what do you mean weird?" Her frown deepened at Ander's mention of Lestone as she looked down at the table, "How ... did that even happen? Poor Lestone ... maybe if he'd stayed longer ... or I'd changed his mind ..."

The elven woman leaned back in her seat, the blue becoming stronger as the air around her started to become chilled, her arms wrapped around herself, speaking in a small voice, "I don't do it on purpose ... I just try to be a nice host ..." Pyria pulled her legs up to her chest as she repeated, "...I don't do it on purpose..." her vibrant reds now a cool blue, her whole body language shifting from that of gleeful welcoming to sorrow and hurt.

Seeing Pyria freaking out, Tyrius felt the familiar sense of something descending into his mind and pushed it away. Which was when it hit him. 'She's not lying. It's like my surges.'

Standing up, Tyrius walked over to where Pyria was sitting, knelt down beside her chair and put one hand gently on her shoulder. "It's okay. I believe you. I believe you're not in complete control of this." Tyrius said, hoping the group of them could calm her down. He didn't like to see anyone upset and realising if she wasn't in control what Pyria had probably had to deal with in the past made him feel a lot of sympathy towards her. "You have cooked a lot of nice food, you are a nice host. Right guys?" Tyrius said, trying his best to calm Pyria down.

Ander's demeanor went from frusteration to sorrow in a snap. He hadn't meant to hurt anyone, he just didn't appreciate his friends being taken advantage of. He stood there awkwardly, fumbling with his words as he tried to think of what to do in this situation. "Uhhh... I'm sorry, Ma'am, I wasn't tryin' ta make ya upset. I don't think most people enjoy havin' their emotions dictated for 'em, but I didn't know you weren't in control of it. You are a wonderful host, I was honestly just worried for my friends' wellbein'." He continues fidgeting, increadably uncomfortable.

"Mm-hm," Virra chimed in, hurriedly swallowing the rest of the sausage before moving around to Pyria's other side. "Ander didn't mean anything by it. It's just a little intimidating when someone goes into your mind and changes things. I should know." She crouched down, wearing her typical careless smile. "And hey, there's worse things you could have done than force a good meal on us. I was on my way there anyway."

Really, though, this was interesting. Were all elves this prone to mood changes, or skin changes? How many of them could magic up a hut and great food at the side of the road? Maybe she'd have time to ask, provided Pyria remained harmless.

Cabin:

Pyria wiped at her eyes, a glimmer of ice present before being flicked away, her voice now a sigh, "... I am an elf, but more truly an Eladrin. Our emotions define us more strongly ... than others." She sniffled, "Most can control theirs, but I ... shift more easily than the waters of a river ... I am ... unstable."

Sighing again she shook her head, "I apologize if I hurt you all ... this is probably why Lestone left too ... everyone leaves ..."

Eliza felt terrible about how badly she treated the kind elf, of course she couldn't help it. She was interrupted from her thoughts by Faust nibbling and tugging at her sleeve squeaking in alarm. "Don't be scared, the elf woman is our friend, she won't hurt us ever." She wished there was a way to help their new friend, "Could we do anything to help with this, Ms. Pyria? You have been the most gracious host and we would love to assist in anyway. How did you end up here anyway? Are all elves like this?"

Last edited:
Nodding as he heard Eliza speak up, Tyrius looked around the room. 'Pyria mentioned a dimensional door earlier, but looking around - this looks more like a demiplane from the little I read about them in Azarad. Should probably try and do some more reading there if ever I get the chance. Still, matter at hand.'

"I'd be interested to hear that as well," Tyrius said, standing up and heading back to his seat, sitting down and munching on another roast potato, keeping eye contact with Pyria all the time and with a small smile on his face that he hoped was reassuring for her to see.

The "everyone leaves" comment gave Virra an unpleasant jolt, but she chose not to think about it. "What they said," she piped up, nodding to Tyrius and Eliza. "If you've been around since Lestone was walking about on land, you must have so many stories you can tell." Deciding to give the eladrin some space, she began to move back to her seat, gathering a small armload of choice food on her way.

The Knight felt a wave of sadness wash over him as he saw Pyria’s mood change, and he glared through his mask at his companions. How could they possibly be blaming Pyria for anything? She’s been nothing but lovely to us this whole time, serving us food, making lovely conversation and- The Knight suddenly straightened in his seat as his will finally managed to break free of Pyria’s he groaned and brought a hand up to his head as the sorrow was replaced by pain, and worse yet, betrayal.

The Knight stood up from his seat and stared at Pyria with an expression of hurt in his normally warm eyes. “I’m leavin’. I suggest y’all do the same. I’ve got no business with witches.”

Eliza bit back an acrid response and tied to sound civil when she said, "Why don't you go ahead, Knight, I would like to hear some more from Pyria first. She might know some more about Lestone." And it wasn't everyday that you got to meet someone who got to live so long. Eliza tried to push the thoughts of half-orc aging and lifetimes out of her head for now. No point dwelling on one of life's harsher realities.

Cabin:

With a long sigh like a winter breeze, Pyria shook her head, "Since I am so ... unbalanced in my seasons, I was placed here, to try and not be accidentally destructive. Non-Eladrin elves don't shift as we do, and other Eladrin don't as easily as I. Some stay in the same season for many years, but ..." with a small motion she gestured to herself, "... it takes little for me to shift."

Her pale blue eyes focused on Virra as she shrugged limply, "I think I have lived for about five hundred years, three hundred of which have been here, but ... I do not think my doorway always follows time as a river flows -- in one direction." There was a faint hint of green under her blue tint as she faintly smiled, "One time ... I opened my door and looked out to see humans like yourselves running around with crude weapons, the next there were structures that seemed to reach higher than mountains." The green faded, "I'm unsure where I truly reside in time ..."

Glancing up at the Knight's tone, Pyria lowered her gaze, softly murmuring, "I understand..."

Listening to Pyria talk, Tyrius was very confused. The part about being accidentally destructive struck a chord with the sorcerer. His confusion only increased as Pyria suggested her doorway would move in time as much as it did in space.

"So let me get this straight," Tyrius said, trying to keep his tone as friendly as possible. "Your doorway moves around. You can't control it, and you've been a prisoner here for three hundred years." Tyrius leaned forward a little. "Is there any way the door can be tracked? I mean, if you wanted friends to have some way to find you?"

Cabin:

Pyria shrugged again, "I'm unsure ... no one ever wants to come back," she looked at the Knight, "... mostly they just want to leave."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread