Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virra’s words justled Eliza out of her funk. “I guess they seem okay...” She stood there for a moment confused before etanding near the gnome. “Have you found anything yet?” She said to Nirandam, her interest peaked.

The Knight tried not to stare at Ander as the paladin prayed, occupying himself by neatly organizing his chest. However, as Ander started to speak, the Knight couldn't resist looking back to him. He removed his helmet and his salt encrusted face frowned at Ander in concern. "Ander, I know that yer hurtin'. Yer lookin' fer reason in the tragedies that happened, an' I'm not sure that yer gonna find it. Life can be cruel. Yer right, there is a lotta darkness in the world, and sometimes, no matter how hard we try, it wins. Lathander's a powerful god, but he ain't the only one bein' worshiped in the world. He does his best ta fight the forces 'f evil, but no one's infallible."

His expression shifted to one of more determination. "Lathander is not the god of giving up. Sure, the night may take hold in the sky, and the world may look bleak, but it is Lathander's place to bring the light when the world is at it's darkness, is it not? Times like this are when you are needed the most, to shine your light upon all those who suffer, and to renew the faith of the hopeless."

The Knight paused and coughed for a moment. "Sorry, not really my place ta be questionin' a paladin on his own order. Still, Ander... Keep the faith. If there's any chance 'f us finding yer family, I swear ta ya on my honor that I'll do anythin' I can ta help. Someone around town'll hafta know somethin' about ta slave trade. We can start our search there. I might be here fer Lestone, but as long as I've known ya Ander, ya've been a true companion ta me, and I hope that I can repay ya fer it."

Noticing the scowl Thomas had at the mention of bandits Tyrius sighed, "They've been doing more than that. Raiding farmsteads belonging to the Defallions in Porthca and well, there's a holy man travelling with us whose had to turn in early. Let's just say the bandits are most of the reason for that."

Tyrius smiled at Niradnam's obvious pleasure in reading through the library, "We've actually come to go raid the library ourselves," with a glance towards Virra, Eliza and Banrigg he added, "I think we might be after the same thing."

Turning to Elizabeth, Tyrius smiled to her as she mentioned writing epic poetry. "Not sure anyone could find you wierd, Elizabeth." the sorcerer said with a smile. "Shall we go talk over some food?" suggested Tyrius.

Virra continued to beckon Entaro for a good while before accepting that he wasn't going to come to her. "I'll be back for you later," she muttered, standing up again and listening in on what Ty's siblings were talking about. But none of them were quite so interesting as what Niradnam had to say. Very soon she was re-opening the mental link with Ty, even as she nodded along with his sentiment about talking over food. Judging by his reactions, he must have picked up on at least some of the man's hints too.

""Some magical rogue", huh?" she prodded him. Then, a few seconds later, ""Your lovely sister", huh...?"

Tyrius had to suppress a laugh as Virra came into his mind. "He seems harmless enough though, could be useful especially if he's just been reading through our library. Saves us a little time." At the inclusion of his sister Tyrius added, "If Elizabeth wants to be with Niradnam, that could be good for her. She's always looking for inspiration for songs and poems." Tyrius said in his mind, though it would be clear enough to anyone looking that his cheeks were almost as red as his hair and he had a goofy grin on his face.

Wyford | Silverbane Manor | Dining Room:

At Tyrius' report on the bandits, Thomas' fist on the table tightened as he scowled, shaking his head, "Seems I might need to round up some men and try to go bandit hunting..."

Sabine patted his arm, "Save that for the morning at least -- not much to be done tonight, 'specially as aggressive as the storm outside sounds. I prefer when Chauntea sends gentler rains, but it's not always to be."

During conversation Moriana had moved to the head of the table and seated herself, smiling at Ty's words, "Yes -- I believe it's time we had some dinner." Gently tapping a fork against the wineglass, a soft ting echoed through the smaller chamber as Baldrus returned, soon followed by servants placing bowls in front of each person -- fresh bread set along the table as a servant followed with a pot of stew, ladling it into the bowls. Baldrus grinned as he saw what was being served, "Ah! The best meal for a stormy night -- nice an' hearty." Leaning on the table he grinned at the respective guests, "If ya go hungry it's your own fault, eh?"

Elizabeth sat forward again in her seat as Niradnam returned to his, the woman answering Tyrius while she broke bread and smeared some soft butter into it, "Even if no one finds me weird, I sure find a lot of other people weird. Yet the weirder they are the greater their stories, and the more I wish to sing of them! Spread the weirdness!" She raised her bread like a goblet as if making a toast, Moriana and Baldrus both chuckling.

Niradnam smiled politely, though Virra would note there seemed to be a faint panic about him as he watched the family eat, as if unsure what the proper etiquette was for this group. Eventually beginning to eat as well he nodded to Tyrius, "Oh? If we are after the same thing then perhaps I can be of some aid, maybe direct you towards more relevant tomes." He smiled, "Research always is more enjoyable if you can skip some of the early stumbling, yes?"

Seeing the stew in front of him, Tyrius dipped his bread into the stew and started eating it as Elizabeth spoke of spreading weirdness with an enthusiasm that was infectious. Which reminded him of Pyria.

"Funny you should mention finding people weird," said Tyrius, "on our way over here, we came across a door to a small demiplane with the most charming person I've met in a long while. She'd no doubt have a lot of stories to tell you."

As Niradnam spoke, Tyrius nodded in agreement, "I think that'd be best." Glancing to his mother and father, Tyrius wondered how best to bring up the business from Porthca without souring the meal. For the moment, he decided not to bring it up. "So, what do you think of Wyford?" he asked instead, addressing everyone who didn't usually live in the area.

"Well, it's good to know you approve," Virra trilled, moving to the table as dinner was brought through. Although the stop at Pyria's demiplane had spoiled her a little bit, hot stew was still a welcome sight after days on the road. She took a chair beside Niradnam and noted his apparent nervousness about the family's eating customs. Crossing both her legs on the seat, Virra was happy to relate.

She took a break between spoonfuls of stew to nod vigorously at the scholar's suggestion. "Yes, that's exactly what we need," she enthused, looking to Ty and Eliza for agreement. "Oh, and you really should meet Pyria. She's a blast." Ty's question required a second more thought before she gave an answer. "Well, ignoring the weather..." She gestured towards a window with her spoon, almost causing a terrible accident. "...I've got to say my first impressions are pretty good. But maybe that just comes with the company?" Really, what a change from the De'Porthcas. Maybe it wouldn't be awful if the investigation dragged a little bit...

Both Niradnam and Elizabeth perked up at the mention of the demiplane, though Elizabeth spoke first, "Oh? Who is she? What is she? Where is she?" She paused as she caught sight of Moriana's disapproving look. "I mean ... I look forward to meeting her when the time is right."

Niradnam chuckled at Elizabeth's interest before replying to Tyrius' question: "Wyford has been very pleasant for me -- it's refreshing to get away from all the activity and constant rushing about that makes up Azarad." He smiled towards Virra, "Truthfully I quite like storms. Quite pleasant as background noise while reading -- find a comfortable chair, a thick blanket, maybe even a nice cat for your lap," he smirked as he leaned over slightly to see Egnaro, "and you can lose hours without realizing it."

Continuing to eat a bit he looked around the table, "May I ask where you all hail from?"

Virra looked towards the rain-streaked windows, trying to understand Niradnam's point. She shrugged. "Losing hours sounds about right. But hey, if you enjoy it." She attacked the remnants of her bowl of stew before it got a chance to cool, pausing only to gesture at herself and her companions currently at the table. "Me and Eliza are both from Chilldrift, and Banrigg's from Ravenmond, I think? Oh, and Ander's from Lokil, and the knight is... a little more exotic. You should ask him about it," she suggested, smiling.

Tyrius leaned back as Virra brought up where they were all from. To his sister, Tyrius grinned, "Well, we brought the doorknob from her personal demiplane. The entrance to Pyria's demiplane would wander and it kept her isolated. She's lonely and we're hoping that transplanting the doorknob, a living doorknob mind you, into a door here might anchor the demiplane." The sorcerer figured he'd stop beating around the bush, "She has a magical aura she can't control. Figured since you grew up around me, safest place for Pyria to have company was this manor, if that's agreeable." Tyrius said, giving his mother and father a look like a small child begging to be allowed a puppy with just their eyes.

Looking around, he wondered how best to broach the subject of Cyne's death. "We've actually just come from Porthca, there were some pretty nasty murders going on down there." Tyrius said, deciding to keep the finer details back until they were asked for, especially anything to do with Joane and Robern being targeted.

"We have a lead, but it involves a favour. Tracking down a stolen artifact that a thief who could steal intangible items was said to have taken and hidden away." summarised Tyrius, wondering how Niradnam would react to that information.

Eliza chimed up nervously but felt like she had to for the sake of Pyria, “She really can’t help it but she is the sweetest thing and we really wanted to help her but Tyrius said maybe you could help.” She said breathlessly. “I am Eliza by the way.” She looked down at her cutlery and went back to imagining the floor swallowing her up to get out of meeting new people. Again!

Nodding at the listed places, Niradnam raised an eyebrow at Virra's explanation of the Knight. "I take it Ander and ... the knight took an early rest? If he's truly exotic perhaps I should speak with him -- I'm always eager to learn of new places."

Tyrius' family listened as he spoke of Pyria, Baldrus and Moriana both sharing a look. Baldrus spoke up, "Yanno, most children ask their parents if they can have a pup or kitten -- not ... some woman in a demiplane, yeah? We'll have to talk about it."

Moriana continued, "There's more than just us here Ty, while most of us can deal with the magical risk, it would not be fair or proper to risk those who work for us as well."

When the conversation shifted to Porthca, Elizabeth nodded after swallowing a bite of bread, "Oh ... I heard about some of that, but it's been so secretive. Can't stop gossip though -- I heard some specter or something showed up at a funeral? I can't even imagine ..."

After Eliza introduced herself Niradnam smiled and bowed his head slightly, "And it's a pleasure to meet you Eliza." He turned at Tyrius' mention of the artifact, "Well that sounds like a very ... complicated favor then." Finishing his meal he pushed his bowl away from him slightly as he leaned forward on the table, "I've heard stories of such thieves -- often some try to claim they're the mystical rogue for the prestige. Like ... adopting the title of a known hero to try and get rewards or privileges that aren't appropriate for them." The off-color eyes focused on Tyrius, "Do you have an idea of what the artifact is? As I said, perhaps in my readings I could shorten your search?"

Tyrius knew his parents were making rational arguments. He nodded along, realising that 'we'll talk about it' did not magically mean no.

As he saw Niradnam's eyes on him, Tryius spoke up. "Something special to The Sea. A pearl from her collection." Tyrius ate some vegetables before adding, "She described it as rotting on the land, though she wants it back all the same."

Looking around at the table, Tyrius realised he'd probably need to explain that a little. "That specter at a funeral, I was there." Tyrius said to Elizabeth, "That was one of her servants. A man named Lestone. After that incident we sort of enlisted a water elemental to talk to The Sea and she ended up talking to us directly. Then we headed up here, met Pyria and sampled some of her wonderful cooking." Tyrius said, figuring it would be better to include that detail in public so it wouldn't go down as an attempted bribe when he discussed it with his parents, "Then we dealt with some bandits. Though I'm curious what you want to do about them Thomas, since apparently they've been hassling the Defallions in Porthca as well." said Tyrius, turning his attention to his brother.

"Oh, you really should. He's seen things you can't imagine," Virra said breezily, licking her lips clean once the bowl of stew was empty. She realised that the conversation around the table had moved on, and made an effort to jump in when the talk turned to Pyria and her cooking.

"Also, she's an elf," she piped up. "Never met one before her. But yeah, like Eliza said -- sweetest thing." Oh, yes, Eliza. She turned and flashed her a smile. "See, you're doing great!"

Niradnam messed with a strand of his hair as he thought on what Tyrius had said, "Hmm ... In lore, there are a few pearls of the sea that I suppose would be worthwhile for such theft. There are supposed Pearls of Power, often coveted by spellcasters, but then I vaguely recall reading ... of a pearl being what sirens are borne from. Perhaps that is what is sought?" He stiffened at Virra's mention of Pyria being an elf, though to Tyrius it seemed to read as something more than just shock of hearing she was an elf. "Wow -- an elf? I'd like to meet her if I could, I imagine she must be very interesting to speak with."

Elizabeth seemed focused on Tyrius as he mentioned the funeral, frowning, "That sounds horrible ... but at the same time your story sounds like it would make a great ballad." She smiled, "Sorry brother, but tales must be told else they fade into time!"

Thomas was reaching for another helping of stew, breaking off another chunk of bread as he realized he was being spoken to. With a sigh, "I suppose I'll try to rally some men and try to hit up the usual areas they try to make camp in -- forests, low plains, old forts an' farms an' such. Problem is, a fair amount of my usual force are out in the fields themselves, tryin' to bring everything in before the winter truly arrives, so it'll leave even fewer to guard Wyford while we'd be gone..."

Clapping him on the shoulder Sabine spoke up, "My fellow clerics are out trying to help in the fields with collecting so everything can be finished sooner." She looked up at another crash of thunder, "Unfortunately I expect this storm is going to make a mess of things that'll need to be looked over in the morning..."

The wizard stared suspeciously at Niradnam not trusting his tone. She could always try her new spell she thought but turned to Thomas’ words.

Eliza wasn’t raised to be an ungrateful guest. She was never invited anywhere but still, her parents raised her right. She piped up nervously, “We can help defend this place. We were able to manage the bandits on the road.” She turned her attention back to the stew her cheeks bright red.

Listening intently to Niradnam's hypothesis as to what pearl The Sea was after. Seeing the way Niradnam stiffened at Virra's mention of Pyria's lineage, Tyrius kept his face as neutral as he could for the moment.

'So, that's interesting.' thought Tyrius, 'Quite a shocked reaction. Niradnam must have his reasons for that and maybe we can find them out in time.' As Niradnam spoke, Tyrius realised that meant they had an ally in their goal of getting Pyria friends.

"Oh, she is very interesting," said Tyrius, trying not to railroad his parents into making a decision while also not holding back too much, "Her door travelled around so she's seen a lot of strange things and she has met a lot of interesting people. The main thing is, she's lonely." Tyrius figured it was best to leave it there.

At Elizabeth's smile, Tyrius smiled as well, "Well, I didn't see much. This creature, what was once a man named Lestone, rose above a casket and terrified everyone there. I-" Tyrius paused a second, "I heard someone call to get the children out, I think," he said, unsure if he was confusing his memories of the second encounter with Lestone with the first, "so we - Ander and I," Tyrius interrupted himself, knowing how much Elizabeth liked detail in her stories, "got the kids and took them to safety." Tyrius motioned to Virra and Eliza with his bread, "Virra and Eliza saw more of it than I did." Tyrius thought for a moment then smiled, "You know, being back home gives me an idea. Maybe, when we leave, we could take some blank tomes and some writing equipment with us. You know, keep travel diaries. That way our tales wouldn't just fade into time." said Tyrius with a smile.

'It could help with our investigation to keep notes, then there's whatever we end up doing after we've dealt with The Sea and Lestone, plus when I come back home, I'll have something to give Elizabeth that she can enjoy.' thought the wild mage to himself.

As Thomas and Sabine spoke of the difficulties in the fields and Eliza offered their aid, Tyrius had an idea. "You know, that gives me an idea." said Tyrius, turning to Thomas and Sabine, "When we were dealing with the bandits, I used an incantation named Expeditious Retreat to make myself move faster." said Tyrius, deciding not to mention all the other times he'd spammed the use of that particular spell, "I got up a good speed, so maybe tomorrow I could I don't know, hold a wheelbarrow with that spell running and be able to help move the gathered crops somewhere safe?" Tyrius gave Sabine a knowing smile, "Don't worry, I wouldn't be so stupid as to cast that spell right next to a wheelbarrow full of crops and risk making a large burnt crop circle."

Thomas raised his glass towards Eliza, "An' your help is appreciated, but we need to be able to hold our own at all times. Wouldn't want to force ya to stay forever."

Niradnam continued to lean forward on the table as Tyrius continued, Elizabeth bringing out a small journal taking notes in shorthand. She nodded at his mention of travel diaries, "Oh yes -- then I can tell the daring tales of my occasionally combusting brother," she grinned.

Sabine raised an eyebrow at her brother's offer, "Well ... you might be fast, but question is are you strong enough to actually lift the barrow when it's full? You couldn't maybe cast it on someone else? Or make the wheel barrow move on its own?" She smirked, "Assuming that yes you don't end up causing more problems than you help with."

Banrigg ate his dinner in relative silence, breaking only to quietly belch or cough. He watched the back and forth between Tyrius and his family with a small smile on his face, but behind his gray eyes there was a small hint of sadness. He was a long way from home, but he was reminded of the meals he would have with his family in their house by the sea. Banrigg closed his eyes as the thunder rumbled in the background, and he remembered how their tiny wooden house would shake when a heavy storm came from the sea, but these large stone walls were far to sturdy to ever recreate that sense.

Having not entered Pyria’s domain, he had nothing further to offer on that subject, but on the subject of helping out, Banrigg spoke up. “I spent most of me life haulin’ fish fer me family. If this lot would like ta stick around and ‘elp out, yer welcome ta put me ta work. Just need ta make sure I can fulfill my contract of protectin’ this lot an’ such.”

Tyrius looked at his arms, trying to gauge his own strength from sight, "I could try a barrow or two before casting, see if I can move it at all." he suggested at Sabine's question, "Sadly, I think its the kind of spell I can only cast on myself. If I could cast it on other people, that would be even more useful." he shrugged, "Don't suppose there's a 'don't burn the barn down' blessing in your holy book by any chance?"

Wyford | Silverbane Manor | 2nd Floor:

After dinner the group split, Moriana and Baldrus assuring Tyrius they would discuss Pyria some more, but bid everyone a good night as the storm continued to rumble. Servants led the guests to their respective rooms, with Tyrius returning to his own room.

Dipping inside to cast a spell quickly, Eliza then returned to the hallway, and with the aid of her familiar Faust attempted to act like she was chasing after him -- headed towards where Niradnam had split to return to his own chambers. Hearing the noise from Eliza's staff, lit by the torches in the hallways she could see Niradnam's shadow as he approached and called out, "Is everything alright? What's that noise?"

An out of breath Eliza ran after Faust and called out, "Catch him!" to Niradnam.

Confused he replied "What, why?" as he started trying to help pin the rat. Faust, following the instructions of his master, paused just enough to allow Niradnam to catch him, covering his eyes with his arms and sighing in defeat.

”Thank you, mister. I was trying to give Faust his bath but he escaped again.” She took back the mouse who was ‘resisting’ and tossed him with a squeak back in her pocket.

”Anyway enough about me, how strange to meet another student from Azarad so far away from school.” The half-orc said casually.

Glancing down, Egnaro was winding himself around Niradnam's boots. "Ah -- is it truly strange when there are so many students of Azarad in general? I believe the Madame of the house was also a student, and Lord Tyrius as well." He reached down to scratch behind Egnaro's ear.

Eliza smiles, all teeth, ”Yes, strange indeed.” Faust poked his head out and started barking at Egnaro before Eliza pushes him back inside. ”Yes the Silverbanes are quite lovely people, so kind of them to host as all on such short notice.”

Both the cat and Niradnam seem surprised by the mouse's response, before replying to Eliza, "Yes -- while I've been here they've been very polite and welcoming hosts. It doesn't surprise me at all they'd offer the same for friends of their son."

”They are even kind enough to entertain the idea of hosting a strange elf in their house. I am not sure even my parents would be that willing.” Eliza’s eyes gleamed bright as she stared at Niradnam.

As she spoke and stared at him she noted once again his eyes seem a bit two-tone, with green on top but a sort of lilac underneath, and a hand went to mess with his hair again, something she might consider a nervous tick or similar. He laughed hesitantly, "Nor my own ... but it seems as though they are used to strange things happening in this home so what's one more in their mind, maybe?"

”It is a big think to ask from them though, to host an elf? Wouldn’t that draw a target on them?”

Continuing to mess with his hair, "From what it sounded like, the elf can't leave that demiplane, correct? It would likely encourage people to flock here to observe, even if any attempts wouldn't be able to work. If anything, I'd be worried the elf would become some ... display to be watched and gawked at."

Eliza continued staring at him trying to read something from his weird behavior, ”What do you know about elves? My studies didn’t cover magical races so I am afraid I don’t know much. You seem to have some idea though.”

Niradnam glanced at his hand for a brief second before replying, "According to the books and scrolls in Azarad, they're the longest lived race -- some easily reaching seven-hundred years and then some. Some of them have innate magic, others seem more attuned to the world around them. I even briefly read that some are attuned to the seasons of the world or something like that, it's been awhile. Truly, my interests tend to be more on magical theory and objects, not magical creatures." As he spoke she got a sense he knew more, but isn't entirely saying everything.

”I always loved reading about elves in my fairy tales. It was wonderful to have finally met one in the flesh so excuse my forwardness, but I need to protect my friends. Do you pose any danger to Pyria or to the Silverbanes for that matter?” She said with sudden intensity holding her staff tight.

Seeing Eliza take what he supposed was meant to be a threatening stance, Niradnam sighed as he lowered his hand, instead crossing his arms. "No. I am here only for research, and from the sounds of it I'm less of a risk than their own son is." He stared back at the half-orc, "You on the other hand seem to have something on your mind to put you so on edge. Care to share, or are you going to sic your mouse on me next?"

”I would love to share. You see, something was bugging me about you all through dinner but I think I finally figured it out.” She used that opportunity to delve deeper into his mind. ”You are an elf too.” She said with a grin.

At sensing Eliza push deeper into his thoughts, Niradnam's tired expression instead shifted to one of anger as Egnaro hissed by his boots. A forceful thought entered Eliza's mind of "How dare you." before he reached out to grab her arm, intending to drag her out of the stone hallways. Still with a sense of strong irritation another thought entered Eliza's mind, "This is not something to be dealt with in these damn hallways."

Last edited:
Eliza pushed his hands away furiously, “Get over yourself. Your secrets aren’t worth as much as you want to believe. You aren’t the first elf nor mystic I have met this very week and the way you are going you won’t be my first death either unless you stop acting like a right twat this instant.” She hissed through gritted teeth.

Wyford | Silverbane Manor | 2nd Floor:

Niradnam frowned towards Eliza but couldn't help appearing intrigued at the mention of another Mystic. He continued in her mind, "My secrets aren't worth my life? And now you threaten me?" He seemed to focus on her for a moment but nothing happened, his frown deepening. Egnaro continued to yowl and growl by his feet as Niradnam tried another tactic, still speaking mentally and gesturing towards his door with an imploring look, "Please -- if you're so concerned for Pyria should you not understand my own fears?"

“I am warning you, don’t get any closer!” She said with a nervous edge and took a few steps back holding her wand out.

“You honestly couldn’t have expected to stay somewhere with this many magic users and expect no one to find out. I don’t even know how you survived Azarad.” she snarled. “I will be telling Tyrius about this. He deserves to know who his family is dealing with.”

Your reaction speaks volumes of your character, Mister Niradnam. Your life isn’t in any danger here, or amongst these people. I think there has been ample evidence for that. It is up to you to either trust the people you are breaking bread with everyday or to continue being quite the dense log and freak out over the half-orc figuring it out. Your choice.”

She continued walking backwards keeping an eye out for the elf till she reached her room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread