Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyrius followed along, walking towards the beach with a apprehensive feeling. He remembered what it was like the last time, with the incident of Cyne's funeral still fresh in their minds. Holding Bookwyrm's bag close to him, Tyrius listened to Valerie and almost said that it was better she were free and they take the risk but Ander managed to say it a lot more eloquently than Tyrius could've managed. Still, Tyrius pulled out a thin strip of wire and carefully invoked Message, speaking right into Valerie's mind. "It is. We take an equal risk every time I cast magic, remember?" said Tyrius into Valerie's mind, "You'll be fine, you're with friends."

After Eliza informed them of what the pearl was capable of, Tyrius couldn't help but point it out, "Except this is The Sea's property?" said Tyrius, "All we've done is collect stolen goods and we're returning them to their rightful owner. Admittedly under duress - but that's still what we're doing with it."

With Clingy as he was so affectionately called bounding into the water, Tyrius had a sudden moment of terror. What if The Sea overwhelmed Clingy and destroyed him. Hearing Benito's whinge, Tyrius just watched carefully, not able to see very much beyond the lantern light. As The Sea rose up out of the water, Tyrius had a momentary urge to step backwards a little. As The Sea spoke about her nature, Tyrius bit his tongue. He had his own view on what she'd just said but he did not think it would benefit anyone to give it voice. With Lestone walking out of the sea carrying the corpse of Cyne De'Porthca, Tyrius winced as Benito kicked off again. With the amount of control The Sea was exhibiting of water, Tyrius had little doubt she could easily drown all of them within seconds if she so chose.

Tyrius bowed his head a little as The Sea explained her reasoning around Benito, feeling apprehensive. He'd been on the verge of offering himself to spare any more lives being destroyed, but Benito had beaten him to the punch. As it was, such an offer seemed unnecessary with hindsight. The Sea's rebuke about the nobles of Porthca unnerved him a little. Tyrius was no fool - he knew not every noble family in the plains had been given land and title for services rendered by some legendary ancestor.

As Valerie started speaking, Tyrius winced. 'Please Val, please don't fuck this up.' thought Tyrius.

"I believe what my friend is trying to say," interrupted Tyrius, "is that retrieving stolen property was a costly endeavour, but that we're keen to ensure no more loss of life among the citizens of Porthca." said Tyrius, putting particular emphasis on the words 'stolen property'. "I think what my friend is trying to determine is that in retrieving Lord Cyne, we are not risking adding more bodies to the De'Porthca crypt for one thing, and no more dead citizens of Porthca for another."

Night of the Twenty-sixth Day | Porthca | Beach:

Letting her laughter fade into the night, the Sea looked down at Valerie as she began to speak. Glancing towards the corpse of Cyne for a moment then Benito she replied, "This one is easy to read -- his anger mimics the waves in a storm, it's no surprise when they crash down. Losing the body of a relative is what drives him, and it will not surprise me when he answers the pearl for the body. For true, a deal was not struck properly, but if the Pearl was never retrieved," she smiled cruely, "then it will be all the more painful when dear Cyne De'Porthca returns to the depths with me, further punishment of the foolishness of Man."

Shaking her head, a spray of water flowed from the movement, "He has not been returned yet regardless. Merely a bargaining tool in my favor."

Ben's grip on the lantern tightened, his other hand resting on his bow as if merely waiting for a moment to draw and strike. The dwarf Banrigg nudged Ben, throwing him off balance for a moment, shaking his head.

When Tyrius spoke up as well, the Sea looked towards him, then chuckled, "You far over estimate my powers of life and death, small mage. I am not fool enough to enter contracts I cannot fulfill, unlike so many others. I cannot promise an end to death for those that claim this land their territory, I cannot stop Fate and I cannot stop Death. They are more powerful than I and their domain is ever-present." Leaning forward the large woman rested her head on a hand almost akin to a pillar of water, "You give this corpse much power in its own way, dead flesh. I have only punished those who broke contracts with me. Porthca's nobles entered into my territory, I struck against those whose bloodline carried from the contract. The deaths you do not care about, that pay no mind to as they belong to those you do not know, their fate is mine for promises made and broken." The Sea grinned, faint moonlight reflecting on the water, "Brave captains that demand safe passage but do not pay my sacrifices soon find their ships in my grasp, a whirlpool that sings their demise."

Seeming to grow bored with Tyrius, the Sea focused on Valerie once more, "You sound as though you have something in mind, little one who smells of the water."

Valerie nodded in response to the Sea's explanation, an easy smile still on her face. "Your intuition is impressive, Madame. Were it that Lord Benito was the one to conduct the trade, I am certain that would likely be the case. However, he also does not know the extent of our tribulations in retrieving the Pearl, nor how impressive of an artifact it is. It would be an affront to make so trivial of an offer."

As Tyrius cut in, Valerie turned to listen to him speak, a feeling of disappointment and doubt flicker through her. Did I misspeak? I had thought my assessment accurate, and my words fair... perhaps I am not as prepared for this as I had thought...

In the end, however, it did not seem to matter how prepared she was as the Sea turned her attention back to her. Trust in your training... not only for you, but for your friends as well. She laughed in slight embarrassment in response to the title. "Well, unfortunately in our haste to speak with you I did not have the opportunity to bath today, so I am certain I smell of many things... but this is not a conversation of hygiene."

Her expression became a more business-like, and she folded her arms behind her, beginning to pace. "I am glad to say that I do not have entirely too much to request of you. In fact, there are only two more terms that I wish to discuss, and the first is one that would benefit us all mutually." She turned to the side to be able to look out at the city without turning her back to the Sea. "You spoke much of what the people of Porthca have forgotten both in terms of their history with you, as well as the spurned sacrifices that are due to you in your respect. Unfortunately, us mortals are fickle creatures with short spans of life. Would it not be prudent to remind them in a more concise manner? I doubt that any captain would be fool enough to ignore paying you tribute when they know that it would grant them safe passage through your waters, especially with the ranks of your daughters blossoming as I expect them to. Your protection does extend to their actions as well, correct?" The young girl looked back to the titanic aquatic form curiously, not actually having any clue if that was the case. I suppose that is the nature of negotiating with one that you are locked in unknown contracts with...

Lord De'Porthca steadied himself on the shore, speaking up, "If anything I should be the one to make this new contract -- my family is here, my livlihood is here, and," he hesitated but for a moment, "the thing my father married came from these waters."

Banrigg bumped Benito again, the man glaring down at the dwarf in irritation as Banrigg whispered harshly, "Shutup! Leave the lass t'speak, she's of more sound mind than ya are right now."

Smirking at Valerie's attempt at a joke, the Sea responded, "No ... you smell of salt. It lingers around you, like an afterimage. It's interesting." Listening to Valerie, a few chirps and laughs flowed from the waves, the Sirens in the waters. Studying the young warlock she spoke again, "I keep them in line, but some disobey," she fixed her gaze on Ben for a moment. "Are you suggesting you would ... create a church, so to speak, in my Name. A Shrine. Contracts on a larger scale in exchange for Offerings, Commandments of my Laws and Expectations?"

Listening to The Sea as she spoke, Tyrius realised that he was dealing with something that was not so forward thinking. The Sea seemed to see things in terms of an immediate transaction. A wrong done to her had to be punished. What worried him was the unknown contract that The Sea had brought up. For now, it seemed she wanted the pearl and the pearl was her prime objective.

The moment that Benito let slip Sidwae's true nature, Tyrius glanced over at Benito as Banrigg gave him a nudge. Suddenly everything made sense - all the spiteful remarksin bars around Azarad where Benito had referred to Sidwae as the Wicked Witch, the general animosity that seemed to radiate from Benito whenever Sidwae was so much as mentioned.

The way that Sidwae's first instinct during the funeral attack had been to protect her children and her husband.

Tyrius walked up a little behind Valerie, not enough to be encroaching in her personal space, but enough to send a subtle message - Tyrius was backing Valerie up. For a moment, Tyrius thought about unveiling his own form, let Benito get a good look at what had happened to each of them. While Tyrius admired what had happened, seeing it as a gift just like his inherited magic he knew the others weren't as keen on their forms. Eventually he decided against it, it didn't seem the right time and this was Valerie's moment. Though Tyrius couldn't help but blurt out a question in response to a question. It sounded as if The Sea were trying to get a religion. 'Wish Cate was here too,' thought Tyrius, 'Ander is a good ambassador for Lathander but a second opinion never hurt anyone.'

"Forgive me for interrupting but," interrupted Tyrius, "what are your commandments and laws?"

At Tyrius' interest, the Sea sat straighter, hands spread before her as she grinned, "Those that cross my waters Keep their Debts and their Promises. Oaths for safe travel, whispers of promises for calm waters, the wives in the harbor praying for husbands to return."

Smiling wider she continued, "Take not the territory of the Sea. Kill not those sacred to her waters. Defile elsewhere on land. Curse me not for one's own ill-luck or broken oaths." Sweeping a hand behind her towards the sirens, "I expect you look upon them fearfully, stories of murderous women in the waters, dragging men to their deaths. They merely collect those who broke promises. Many of them sing to guide sailors through rocks and coves, but often ignored for fear of being led astray. My daughters are as diverse in their calling as I."

Lowering her arms, "It seems it is time I begin the steps to join the Pantheon, no longer merely a Natural god, but something greater." Her smile faded as she stared towards Benito, "Though some may forget, I have been a protective power to this village for generations. I tire of scraps and a presence only called in fear or pain."

Tyrius listened carefully, not seeing any hint of maliciousness in The Sea's tone, though he still couldn't quite forgive her methods. Unable to see the sirens to which The Sea motioned, Tyrius had to rely on her words to understand what she was referring to.

Looking to Benito, Tyrius felt that perhaps it was best to lance the boil. "Benito, my friend," began Tyrius, aware that he was probably treading on some very fragile eggshells but finding that he did not care, "The Sea is right. You want proof of that? You already provided it." Tyrius gestured in the direction of De'Porthca Manor, "Right now, Madam Sidwae is at home, with her family. You said she was a being of The Sea. You just heard The Sea say that her daughters are not murderous. What better proof of that is there than Madam Sidwae?" Tyrius gave his friend a gentle smile, "During the attack on the funeral - the first thing Madam Sidwae did was get between Lestone and her family. Not save her own skin - but protect her family." Tyrius looked to The Sea, wishing he could see what sight she had alluded to before turning back to Benito. "Benito, there are people in town who could help set up such a church. I'm sure Cate could at the very least tell you how such a church in Porthca could be set up. We're travelling, we could easily spread the word too on our travels." said Tyrius, then added, "I would, for one. You know how my family came to being nobility Benito." Returning his gaze to The Sea, Tyrius said, "It sounds to me like you just wants your due having performed the same service and getting no reward."

Tyrius glanced down, then decided to show Benito exactly what else had come from The Thief's hoard. Taking a moment to concentrate, Tyrius' form shimmered slightly, becoming a glowing red light before it faded. Standing in the same place on the beach was a red dragonborn wearing Tyrius' suit. Red scales, but Tyrius' eyes looked exactly like they did in his human form. "Benito - this is what happened when we went to recover the pearl." said Tyrius, carefully keeping his expression neutral, "The Sea isn't asking for anything drastic. Just respect. Just not being taken for granted." said Tyrius, giving Benito a careful smile and hoping he hadn't just botched the whole thing by trying to make Benito see sense.

Eliza nervously shifted in her place near Valerie as she heard the sea‘s last proclamation and whispers the being’s last thoughts she could gleam into the woman’s ear, “She isn’t lying. she really wants to rise up as a God. Like an actual one like Ander and Cate worship. I don’t like this one bit.”

What Tyrius said next terrified her. She didn’t want to spread some religion now. She lived her depending on her own magic and the idea of being in debt to a vengeful, temperamental being like the Sea and forced to spread her creed was not what she bargained for when she offered to help Ben.

“I am sure we could maybe help set up a...a church or something but I personally am not...good at spreading anything. Trust me, you don’t want me acting like your cleric or anything.” The half-orc giggled nervously wondering what in the hecking heck she had got herself into now.

Virra only had time to flash Tai a small, tense smile as the little water elemental flooded from the waterskin and pooled at her feet. She watched it carefully as it flowed out towards the shoreline, tensed as the waves rose to meet it -- and then saw it disappear without a sound. A few seconds passed. "Clingy...?" she tried to say, but couldn't find a mind to form the telepathic contact with. She waited another moment, then more, growing steadily more agitated. It wasn't coming back, it was gone, part of the ocean itself now, and Virra hadn't even thought to...

Then the Sea herself came to shore, and suddenly Clingy was forgotten by everyone. Virra tried looking out to the ocean to see if she could spot any unusual movements, but all that she could see were those sirens that the Sea had brought with her. It wasn't long before she gave up the search and turned back to watch the negotiations unfold, trying not to think about where the little water elemental might have gone. He's probably having a great time, making up for all the years he spent away from water, she told herself, then pushed those thoughts to the back of her mind. The negotiations were more important than whatever fondness she suddenly thought she had for the elemental.

For all she wanted to leave the talking to Valerie and Tyrius -- the ones she trusted to be diplomatic -- the way the conversation was turning quickly began to unsettle her. Eventually, it even drove her to come to Ben's defence. "Did Gilmarie Accmour disrespect the Sea?" she asked Ty bluntly, and loudly enough for everyone to hear. "Why, in the world, does this thing deserve to be worshipped? If she's anywhere near as powerful as she says, she had a billion ways to tell the people of Porthca that she felt they were taking advantage of her, but she didn't. Instead she murdered four people out of spite, and would've killed more if we hadn't been there. The only people who'd worship her kowing that are cracked in the head, or don't have a choice."

Virra realised her hands were shaking. She wanted to think it was from indignant anger, but the bulk of it was fear. Fear of the almost-godlike being that she was insulting, and the memories she suddenly recalled of half-drowning in the cave. "Sure, maybe she's been a protective presence too. Porthca probably wouldn't exist like it does without her. But that doesn't make up for killing children to send a message." She planted her feet firmly in the sand. "We can't give her the Pearl back unless there's a guarantee that the murders stop for good. Whether or not people choose to obey her commandments or pay her tribute or whatever, doesn't matter. The killing ends."

Turning to Tyrius, Ben frowned, "You're taking the words of one who openly admits to killing those who don't do as it expects or desires at face value? Do you not think Sidwae protects them because they 'belong' to her? Much like the Sea only seems to care for what belongs to it?" His frown deepened as he fidgeted with his bow, wincing as Banrigg placed his weight on the Lord's foot, "I also hardly think removing werewolves is the same as this." Looking back to Tyrius, Ben gasped as he watched him turn into a dragonborn, an expression of shock on his face at the sight. His voice lowered he murmured, "... what happened to you? Are you ... cursed?"

Hearing the mystic speak, his attention was drawn away and the noble nodded with Virra's words, "My point -- the Sea is far more childish than godlike, even if you claim proof of her benevolence or seem convinced of her sincerity. One way or the other the deaths will need to stop -- regardless of the cost."

While the group spoke, Valerie was suddenly busy with her ring, the Sea turning from watching the conversation and shape changing sorcerer back to the warlock. Salt had slowly spread from her hand where the ring rested, working up her arm. It had paused at one point, as if waiting to see what Valerie would say or do but as the back and forth continued, the salt spread once more, overtaking the young woman's arm and spreading around her neck like a collar and moving upwards over half of her face -- becoming pale and flaking skin with each movement, her dark hair becoming white and one eye giving a faint pale glow of light as she felt compelled to step forwards towards Lestone, reaching out the salt-covered arm towards him. Her expression became one of sorrow as she spoke in Primordial, a faint half-echo behind her words. Only a few understood the words she spoke but the tone was evident. "My son ... how she has taken you from the world, kept in the depths and chained by a contract made for those who forgot your face, forgot your name ..."

Continuing to step towards him, she reached for Lestone as he took a half-step back, hesitant to look directly at her. Valerie frowned, "You will not see me? Are you ashamed? Tied to this creature, water given sentience from years of carelessly thrown prayers, collected and hoarded in hopes of attention," she turned to look at the Sea as she continued who looked displeased.

Continuing in common the Sea replied, "You do not seem to care that it is by my power he still lives."

Valerie's expression darkened, answering still in primordial, "Lives! This is not life! This is a punishment borne by the wrong person! My son, my child -- he attempted to aid strangers and was left to the water, thrown overboard and left to drown in your clutches." The warlock reached for Lestone's face with her salt encrusted hand, pulling him to look at her, those with darkvision could see faint glimmers of tears by his eyes as salt began to spread from her touch. "I will free you, Lestone. I promise this, you shall not be her toy forever more."

Lestone leaned into her hand, silent still, holding the dead body of Cyne De'Porthca in his arms. Faint runes on his skin began to glow once more as his eyes nearly closed, seeming to enjoy the touch of someone, layers of salt flaking off from the faint wind.

Tyrius flinched as Virra brought up the late Gilmarie Accmour. Tyrius knew she had a point - killing children was a line that should never be crossed and The Sea had crossed it. Though Benito's attempt did surprise him.

"Benito, I don't condone Gilmarie's death. Nor do I condone any of the others." Tyrius looked to The Sea, "It's a basic law among people that the sins of the parents should never be visited on the children." Turning back to Benito Tyrius said, "Master Anthol reacted the same way as Madam Sidwae. The exact same way. I think of your father as a benevolent man. It follows does it not that Madam Sidwae is a benevolent woman?"

Tyrius shook his head, "I wouldn't say I was cursed. The Thief - thought he'd give give out a 'gift'. I don't consider it a curse any more than I consider my magic a curse." said Tyrius, careful with his word choice so as not to give away the fact that he was far from alone.

Seeing Valerie approaching Lestone, Tyrius wondered what was happening but unable to understand any relevant language he was reduced to spectating - though he did find it odd when The Sea chimed in in Common to rebuke Valerie.

Tyrius looked to Ander, wondering if he'd overstepped the mark again, "Ander, what's your take on this?"

Eliza watched in horror as Valerie was overtaken by the ring once more. She had tried warning them but no one had listened to her.

The terrified half-orc took a few steps towards her friend but stopped short at Not-Valerie’s words. Doubt started clouding her thoughts, what were they even fighting for. Who was in the right here? She got as close as she could from Valerie, keeping her close but looking up at the giant watery thing.

”Madame Sea, I hope you understand that we are mortal and that while we are willing to help you make another contract with Porthca, the descendants are going to eventually forget the details like they did now. In this case, a stern reminder would do wonders. No need to execute people and take their corpses hostage like now. That could still stay but as Plan C maybe. I am sure you can now appreciate how extreme your methods might have been in hindsight.

what the heck what the heck what the heck was she doing speaking to this god wannabe

”Furthermore, like Ms Valerie has, uh...shared with us, we would like to add ’Freeing Lestone’ to the discussions. I am sure ironing out the details might take some time, but you will come to an agreeable understanding with Porthca. After the contract has been signed, we will give you the pearl.”

Ander looks out at the water and can make out the creatures treading water on the water's edge. He has been holding on to his ax as the talks have been going, but he decides that it is getting too dark and he lights it up to help his friends see what's out there. He has trouble hearing everything that's been said, mostly because his own nerves have caused him to struggle with this entire situation. He heard Tyrius come to him for advice and panicked. What insight could I have? I've been worshiping the same god for my entire life without ever meeting him, but now I am standing before the very heart of the sea, a goddess in her own right, and I am asked for my opinion. Lathander, help me, but I have no clue.

Ander looks up at the face of the sea as he stands there feeling the most vulnerable he has ever felt in his entire life. "I know these families made a deal with ya, and they've gone back on it, but you send that thing after innocent children." He looks over at Lestone with a certain contempt written across his face. "My friends," he gestures to everyone, stopping short before Benito, "are right that you are taking things out on people who truly didn't know the deal or have anythin' ta do with it." He looks down nervously and back up to the female figure, "I just want the children to be safe and for the families to have another chance to hold up their end of the deal." He looks like he is about to cry, but also like he wants to rip someone's throat out at the same time. Sadness is clear in his eyes while his jaw is clenched in anger.

The Sea gazed back at Tyrius, "Sins, perhaps not -- but the parents should inform their children on the pacts that keep them safe in their nests."

Ben glowered at the fellow noble, "Ty, I think you are too trusting. All those years of stories I told you, and you swing to her side so easily?"

With Eliza's approach, the aquatic formed woman turned to study the half-orc. "With every word you little ones add, I feel the agreement slips further and further away. You would have me relinquish one of my prize pets? You all seem keen to bury me under details and claims, leaving me a weak wave under your ships, meek and submissive." Sitting straighter, "I want the Pearl. One way or the other, I will have it after this night," the sirens in the water began to hum in unison. "I cannot be blamed for the failures of the parent when they do not warn their offspring of what waits in the waters. I kept my part, and struck when they failed theirs."

Lestone winced as the sea clenched her hand, "The Pearl for the corpse. Then we will discuss Lestone's freedom." Her eyes moved across the group, "If you feel confident in yourselves you could always attempt to take him by force ..." as her sentence faded into the wind a strong breeze began to form, clouds moving in to cover the crescent moon.

Valerie frowned at the man's expression of pain and turned to the group, speaking in common but seeming to struggle with the words, "I warn, you cannot easily face her, not with her daughters alongside. I have watched, you are strong, but not strong enough for this." She trailed a gentle hand down Lestone's face, "The Sea desires more than she has now, she will not say plainly, but attention is her desire. The storms, the waves, the creatures drawn to a drowning man, all her control for that desire, that moment of prayer and validation. Playing with the lives of the living to grow her power." The salt-covered woman stared at the Sea's avatar before looking to the party, "I implore you to release my son, my Lestone. I have heard the tasks he was set to, but I promise it to not be his nature."

Almost snarling at the warlock, the Sea responded, "Who are you -- to speak so brazenly, so openly towards a god within your presence?"

The ring-controlled Valerie smiled at the Sea's discomfort, "I am your Elder, though weakened by age and captivity. The Tempest made full of vengeance, the winds that pull at your waves and lightning that strikes your waters. Sister to Ancients that so far have ignored your plays at power, and Mother to many that walk the continents." Raising her salt covered hand, the white element began to build around the base of the Sea, surrounding the woman's form and appearing like the glaive Valeria used before on one side, and her new rapier on the other, both blades at the Sea's neck. "I am weakened, true, but my Sisters and Brothers are not." The salt on Valerie's face and arm began to flake away more rapidly, she reached for Lestone, bringing their forheads together for a moment, "Trust in this one, my son. She's clever and determined."

Holding that position for a moment, the salt-formed weapons around the Sea suddenly fell to the ground in piles of salt that was soon taken by the waves as Valerie returned to herself, suddenly much closer to Lestone than she remembered being before.

Okay. This nonsense has gone on for long enough, Eliza decided. She could explain away this sentient water puddle's rashness, even some of her actions, but there was no excuse for her stupidity.

The half-orc squared her shoulders and stood up straight, grasping her staff firmly like a lifeline. ”I think you are right, an agreement with you doesn't seem like a suitable option at all. You say you respect contracts. You even killed off an innocent child because Porthca failed to obey its contract that was signed gods knows when, its details now lost to time. Firstly, if you didn’t want to be blamed for your actions towards a child then maybe you should have had the common sense to send a simple reminder first. You chose to escalate matters straight to murder and for that I blame you."

She faced her this 'Sea', feeling more resolute with every passing word, "Secondly, I don't know how Porthicans of yore made their contract but where I am from we discuss the clauses in detail so that we don't have the issues that you now do. In order to come to an agreement that is suitable to both parties, it takes time and effort. So if you feel like you are being 'buried in details and claims' then I have no idea what you were thinking signing one in the first place. " Eliza huffed in frustration and stared this being straight in what passed for her eyes.

"Now you might be wondering why you should even bother. You are far stronger than us, yes. You could have us all dead in seconds. You could have all of Porthca dead in minutes...but then what? You said it yourself, you need mortals to believe in you. You want mortals to worship you. Kill us all, and yes you will get your precious pearl tonight but you will eventually end up as you started, go back to being some powerless nothing, because you need us more than we need you."

"On that note, what is Porthca even getting in return?"
She shrugged and gestured towards Cyne's corpse, "Safety isn't a given now that you want to just wipe off everyone you wish willy-nilly. What are all these promised riches worth if people are suddenly drowned in their sleep. Make no mistake, giving up Lestone is the least thing you can do."

The wizard snapped her finger and used prestidigitation to conjure up an illusion of the pearl and held it up, "I have studied this pearl. I know what...godly power it holds. You would use it to create an army of sirens and water elementals, all under you command. We went to a lot of trouble to get you this priceless trinket. Made some really powerful enemies on the way. This is worth giving up Lestone and putting the effort to make a better deal for all of us. That is all we ask for in the end, a chance to come up with a better contract with better terms without repeating the mistakes of old. Do your choose to be forgotten...or to be revered?"

Valerie’s head pounded painfully as she slowly came to consciousness, the first thing that she became aware of being an intense dehydration. I... what? I was just negotiating with the Sea... Flashes of memories struck her, salt curling up her hand as she reached out to Lestone, tales of ancient entities told in her voice that she had no knowledge of, and most troublingly a pair of blades held at the Sea’s neck. Oh, gods no...

Valerie’s eyes finally flicked open, and upon immediately seeing Lestone’s undead visage centimeters away, stumbled back a few paces in surprise. Quickly recovering, she glanced around as she tried to get her bearings and listened to the conversation. Still, something about the Sea caught her eye... a strange tension as if she had been trying to steal from the cookie jar and was caught in the act. She is afraid... though of what, I am unsure. Whatever the reason was, she could see it in her eyes that the Sea had lost her position of power in the conversation... something that they would certainly have to press their advantage on.

Listening to Eliza, Valerie winced slightly at the tone she had taken, but could not agree more with the sentiment. Finally feeling somewhat recovered and caught up, she looked over to Lestone and gave him a reassuring smile. Then, she turned her attention to the Sea. “Apologies for the interruption. Hopefully there will be no cause for another.” She gave a slightly apologetic smile before gesturing to Eliza. “While my friend may be a bit lacking in her decorum, her assessment of the situation is more than fair. You seem to have a habit of holding those involved in your bargains to the utmost standard while holding the terms of such an agreement close to your chest. In exchange for returning to you the birthstone of your children, an object of immense power unparalleled by any we observed in our travels, I believe that agreeing to seek a mutually beneficial understanding with the people of Porthca as well as matters so trivial as returning a corpse and freeing an unfortunate soul is more than fair. I trust that with your wisdom your conclusion shall be the same.”

Continuing to watch the young warlock warrily, the Sea turned towards Eliza, the storm that was building seeming to fade. The large form crashed onto the shore, splashing the party with sea water as a woman, still roughly eight feet tall, stood among the group, her form transparent as it was made of liquid, hair made of kelp and seaweed, any clothing on her form appeared to be shaped and warped driftwood -- a band around her chest made of torn sails, while her skirt was tied together scraps of ship deck. Crossing her arms she nodded at the water as a large sail was dredged from the depths, torn and ragged. "Fine," she answered simply. "We shall write a new contract." Looking from the sail to Benito she added, "It is fitting one of the original bloodline is present, the cove that bears his family name."

Turning to look at the sleeping city of Porthca, "They have gotten far more than they realize, and I have never taken those who did not deal with me. There are ..." she paused, "Rules." Looking at Valerie, "Some Aspect of her understands that. I make no claim I have been eternally peaceful, I am shaped by belief whether I like it or not. Yes, I will use the Pearl to create more daughters and form water elementals -- they are my allies in the water and help maintain my domain. However they rarely can stray far from me as their Mother." The Sea looked at Ben for a moment who merely glared back. "I have been kind in allowing her to play upon the land, raising her own children. At any moment I could have called her back, even when two hearts beat in her belly, claimed them both for my domain, new Champions of mine. One of the land and one touched by the sea."

Watching the noble for a moment she gestured at the sail, "Let us make the new contract then. My terms: The Pearl, first and foremost. I demand to keep my claim of the waters in this region, what I believe are referred to as the Sinking Plains. No one shall hunt or kill a Siren in these waters. No one shall claim my territory as their own -- there is enough land, and Men are clever enough to figure something out." Allowing the group to think on that for a moment she continued, "My offer: those who claim Porthca as their home shall enjoy smooth waters in my domain. Daughters of mine will guide them from dangers, the elementals will keep away creatures of the depths. Offerings and sacrifices in my name will be encouraged for further boons."

As The Sea came onto the beach with them, Tyrius looked around looking for something to serve as a writing surface. Seeing nothing, Tyrius shrugged. He felt it was more important to get what was said down as it was said not wait around trying to find something to write on that wouldn't need Tyrius to just sit on the sand. Sitting down and pulling out his book, a dip pen and a bottle of ink, Tyrius started writing on the first blank page everything that The Sea said. Curling his tail around him, Tyrius looked up at the word 'sacrifices'.

"What sort of sacrifices and offerings?" asked Tyrius, then realised it might not be immediately apparent to a being such as The Sea what he was up to, "Oh, my sister is a bard. They propagate stories. I promised her that I'd keep a diary." Tyrius smiled, realising that this could work to their advantage, "So, if I write everything we're saying now in here, eventually Elizabeth will be able to spread it." Tyrius looked to The Sea with a smile, "So, you have The Sinking Plains' ear - what would you like to say to them, m'lady?" Then, after a brief moment of realising Tyrius added, "Presumably sacrifices do not mean similar to Lestone? Will he be returned to us once you have the pearl - alive? Will Cyne be returned?" asked Tyrius, carefully keeping his tone respectful, "Will Madam Sidwae still be allowed to remain where she wishes with her family?"

Last edited:
The water that drenched Valerie at the Sea’s change in form caused her to take a step back before she ran a hand over her armor, drying it off. The change in tone from the Sea was jarring as she appeared to be acting reasonably enough... almost too reasonable. At the look that the Sea gave her, she arched an eyebrow. “If you would not mind, what rules is it that you are referring to? Apologies for asking so many questions. This deal sounds most agreeable to me, but I do not seek to have myself bound so that in a few thousand years more adventurers will come bothering you to bargain for my freedom.” She then paused for a moment before adding. “You specified that only those that claim Porthca as their home shall have safe travel... what of those seeking travel to the city? I do not wish to trouble you with matters of mortal economy, but Porthca is a city that produces little and survives mostly on trade. Will foreign merchants encounter more danger than they had prior?”

"A portion of fish caught, a fine gem among traded treasures. Perhaps an enchanted brooch."
The aquatic woman stared at the note-taking dragonborn, as if trying to understand his words. "They shall know whose domain they cross and travel, as easily as I can calm the waters I can stir them to a ship-destroying frenzy." The Sea turned to look at Lestone who still stood mute, "He was not a sacrifice, he was an ill-read agreement. I have little interest in the corpse, but perhaps Lestone can be released for an appropriate trade. My daughter can remain upon the land -- her children will spread my influence in their own way."

The woman studied Valerie, hesitating for a moment before speaking: "I assume Men have voices that guide them. Rules for their behavior, things that tell them what is allowed or not. It is not so different for me. I am drawn to certain things, like deals. Prayers draw my attention like a beacon and I am compelled to act upon oaths in my name." Crossing her arms she considered the rest of Valerie's question, "If the people of Porthca are clever, they will offer their services as guides in my waters. Outsiders will be left to the waters as they are unless they learn to call upon me and make such offerings as mentioned earlier."

Valerie grew frustrated with the circles she was having to talk around with this entity. Even with Lestone included as part of the bargain, the trade was already weighted heavily in her favor, what else could she possibly be demanding of them for his release? Clenching her fists for a moment, she released then released the tension, returning to her diplomatic state. "Thank you, Madame Sea. These terms sound agreeable to me, except that you appear to forget that Lestone's freedom is not negotiable. We are not only returning to you a priceless artifact of immense power, but also the means to continue to grow your family. Is it not only right that in return you return family to another?" The warlock held up her right fist, the stark white band of salt seeming to glisten against her skin even in the dark of night. Her tone became far more grim. "I am certain that I need not remind you who resides within the ring on my finger. An oath was sworn this day in their name that Lestone would be freed from his servitude. I ask you this... Would you prefer to be subject to their gratitude, or their wrath? Believe me, I have had enough disagreements to know which is by far the more potent of the two... not to mention the actions of others that may take notice."

Valerie lowered her hand, folding it with her left in front of her. "Of course, there is always the chance that none will. Perhaps your powers are stronger than even you yourself believe, and you would be victorious over any that dared to challenge you..." Her tone then softened as she looked to the Sea imploringly. "But Madame Sea, I must ask you this... is that a chance that you truly wish to take, on the dawn of a new age of prosperity for you and your family? Certainly a mere messenger is not worth risking everything that you have built?"

The Sea warily watched Valerie as she put the ring on display. She reached out towards Lestone and made a pulling motion, the man jerking towards her across the sand. Grabbing the collar of his crude coat, the Sea spoke again, "Fine. Lestone and Cyne De'Porthca for the Pearl."

With another gesture of her hand, the large sail was held up by a wave and with motions of her hand, words were burned into the fabric.

-----
Contract Between thee Okesh City of Porthca in thee Sinking Plains and thee Diety Known as thee Sea:
I) None shalle claim thee Waters of the Sinking Plains as their domain fore they belong to thee Sea.
II) None shalle hunt or kill Sirens within thee Sinking Plains or risk the wrath of their Mother, thee Sea.
III) None shalle build into thee Waters of thee Sinking Plains.
IV) Those borne within thee Territory of Porthca are promised calm waters and fair winds within thee Sinking Plains.

V) Those born within thee Territory of Porthca are promised protection and guidance by Sirens and Elemental waters, Daughters and Sons of the Sea.
-----​
The Sea turned to the group, "Is this agreeable."

Virra felt oddly like a bit of driftwood, tossed about from one fathom to another. First as Val was taken over by her ring and puppeteered by this thing that called itself the Tempest, then as Ander made his plea, and finally as Eliza laid out her demands so forcefully the Sea actually came ashore to respond. Virra had been meaning to go and try to comfort Ander in some way, but she found herself struck dumb by the sudden strength of the wizard's will. "Would it be patronising," she asked the half-orc via mental link, "to say I'm proud of you? Because I am so, so proud of you, Eliza."

As much as she meant it, the message she sent to Eliza was muted. Virra was still focused on the eight-foot woman born of the ocean itself, lost in thoughts of her own. The Tempest's explanation of the Sea's destructive nature stuck with her in a way she couldn't quite parse. It made too much sense; she wanted attention, whether good or bad. She wanted to be someone of note; people's acknowledgement alone would give her power.

She exists because people put their faith in her. And the Thief exists, too...

The crash of a new wave dragged her thoughts back to the beach. With the others, she craned her neck to study the sail and the contract burned into its canvas -- and was quite surprised to find that she liked it. Most of it. The terms seemed to be good for the people of Porthca, even if outsiders would continue to be bullied for offerings like the Sea craved. With the already agreed-upon trade for Cyne's body and Lestone's freedom, Virra could only think of one grey area to write out.

"Almost," she said. "There's still something we need to be completely clear on. What happens if someone violates those terms -- whether it's you or one of your children, or someone from the land?" She thumbed Glimmer's drawstring, not quite unconsciously. "I think we've established that murder is out of the question."

Carefully writing down The Sea's preferences for offerings, Tyrius didn't notice that The Sea was watching his note taking at all. As he continued writing, it dawned on Tyrius that it seemed The Sea had some special interest in Porthca. A fact that was confirmed the moment that The Sea's contract appeared upon the sail. Where the contract started mentioning just Porthca but then put obligations on the entire Sinking Plains not to claim territorial waters, hunting or killing sirens, or building onto the sea. Tyrius doubted such a contract was going to work, having looked at a small number of contracts after graduating from Azarad. The terms were too broad. Technically The Sea could claim a contract breach for some random fisher far to the north slamming into a siren with their fishing boat. At the same time, Tyrius didn't think The Sea would settle for just the territorial waters of Porthca. 'Why should she?' thought Tyrius, 'She's got powers greater than mortals, she could drown all of us right here.' At the same time, Tyrius remembered The Sea's earlier words about outsiders to Porthca being left to the waters unless such prayers and offerings were made as well.

'She wants a religion, and arguably she clearly views herself a deity,' thought Tyrius as Virra spoke up, 'At the same time, Virra had a point. Gilmarie Accmour was an innocent child. Joane and Robern are innocent children too. But then who is fool enough to enforce the laws of people onto a greater being such as a deity?' Tyrius felt conflicted and was doing his best to hide that conflict though in his sleep deprived state it was probably easy to tell if you knew where to look.

Tyrius had had a plan in mind for if he needed to sweeten the pot, though it seemed it would not be needed. He'd intended to carefully word his request, making it so that there was no possibility of ending up like Lestone if The Sea kept to her word. Tyrius knew he didn't have the mindset of a cleric, from having grown up around Sabine and travelling with Magnolia. What he did have in spades was charm. Tyrius could talk and when he was able to think clearly stand a good chance of swaying people with the power of a logical, rational argument. That had been Tyrius' ace in the hole, offering that for the rest of his natural life, he would journey the plains of Okesh with his friends, spreading word of The Sea and her commandments himself. He was still going to do that, without it needing to be said.

'Virra has a good point about needing to know the consequences for breach of contract,' thought Tyrius, keeping an eye on The Sea as he scribbled down the original contract in his diary, every so often waiting for the ink to dry before turning the page and starting on the other side of it. 'Cortence,' thought Tyrius, bringing to mind his reverred ancestor as for once he was unsure himself what to do. Say nothing, let the negotiations conclude, informally spread The Sea's new religion so that people would flock to Porthca. Speak, putting himself selfishly in the spotlight but pledging himself formally to The Sea. 'What should I do here? What is the right, just, lawful, good thing to do?' Having never had much curiousity about religion, Tyrius had heard the names of the common deities - he'd seen the divine magic that Ander, Cate and Magnolia were able to channel. It was one thing to know of a higher power's existence, quite another to be looking at their form less than fifty feet away, scribing notes.

Tyrius was still in two minds about The Sea's nature. On one hand - a force of nature personified. Someone who was offering to help people navigate across her domain in exchange for offerings. On the other - a force of nature with little regard for the santity of life. A being that Valerie's patron for one was clearly afraid of. Tyrius was curious about exactly what or who had taken control of Valerie once again, and what their relationship to Lestone was. Whoever it was, the immediate fact was that she had asked for their help in freeing Lestone from his current imprisonment. All that had to be done was hand over the pearl and see a contract signed. Tyrius kept writing, unsure for the moment exactly what to do beyond chronicling the meeting.

Ander's fear grew as the negotiations continued. He hated this. This being that thought itself a god yet knew so little mortals that it couldn't understand the passage of time and its meaning. He stood with his glowing ax as he watched the being, scrutinizing its ever move. When Valerie appeared possessed and someone else was clearly talking through her, Ander saw it in the sea's reaction. Fear.

Trying to stay out of the negotiation the best he could, Ander moved up to shine his light for his young warlock friend. When he got to Val, the paladin leaned in to hug her, whispering as he did so, "I don't know what that was, but she is afraid of it." He then stood beside her, acting as a light in the darkness, hopefully in more ways than one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread