Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valerie beamed at Eliza’s suggestion. “Oh, Eliza, what would I do without you? That is such a good idea.” She flicked her ring finger and salt briefly covered her form before swirling away, leaving herself unchanged except for her hair which was now a slightly shorter dark black. She held up a hand and a compact mirror formed out of salt as she scrutinized herself. “Hmm... no, I do not believe that this will do, too depressing. I will keep trying though. Oh, anyways, Grandfather always warned me of the parties in Porthca, said they were dreary and dreadful affairs that he usually drank through. He warned me not to do the same though because the nobility of the city is somewhat... questionable.”

Valerie continued to chat and toy with her hair as they approached the manor, it’s color a golden blonde as they reached the gate. As a man revealed himself from off to the side, Valerie at first thought him to be homeless. It was not until he began to list his almost cringe inducingly long title that she recognized the figure. Strange, he truly only needed the first one and the last two. Anymore could be seen as a bit excessive. Still, the young warlock smiled warmly to the self proclaimed master of bows, although she flinched slightly at the curse and did not speak until he had finished - apparently in Porthca it was customary to address only half of your guests.

Noticing the look from Tyrius, she took a slight breath before stepping forward and smiling to the lordling. “Greetings, Lord Benito. We have actually met briefly before, but I forgive you for not recognizing me.” Her form swirled briefly before returning to that of the Salted Knight and changing back. “It is a bit of a long story. Regardless, my name is Valerie Rhitegast, and it is a pleasure to meet you.” She curtsied to Benito.

Eliza curtsied, balancing on her healthy leg. It wasn’t graceful but it was the more proper she could manage at her state. “Greetings, Lord Benito de Porthca.” She could sense that Ben was in no mood for familiar chit chat and maybe feeding into his ego would make dealing with him easier for now.

Virra climbed out of the wagon after the others, pausing only to point at the servants preparing to haul the largest of the wyvern eggs. "If that starts cracking, you come running," she said, then turned and followed after the group without any further explanation. The better part of them were due for a reunion, and she wanted to know how she'd feel about it when it happened.

When the young lord came up to see them, she felt... kind of indifferent, really. Just as on edge as before that he was a complete headcase and knew about her psionic gifts, but somehow a couple of weeks parted from him had taken away her ability to take him seriously.Hey Ben,she said, cracking a small smile as she made the half-second telepathic connection just for old times' sake. Then she waited and tried not to look too impatient while the others made their reintroductions, though she still cut in the moment they finished talking. “So, nobody else's been killed? And what Ty said, how d'you know where Lestone is right now?”

Evening of the Twenty-sixth Day | Porthca | De'Porthca Manor:

With a sigh, Benito led the others inside, "Figures -- he likely only wanted a deal with the family, but when effort came into it, decided it wasn't worth his time." The noble glanced over his shoulder at the others, "...what? Of course we don't -- I meant I haven't seen him at all tonight. Before I've caught glimpses ... remnants of salt water and so on."

He paused at Valerie's admittance of being the knight, studying the woman intensely, "Figures as much. I'm not keen on illusions and magic lately, so I suggest you keep such tricks to yourself." Smiling faintly at Eliza he dipped his head, giving a faint smile as well when he heard Virra's voice in his mind.

Stepping into the manor, he placed his bow against the inside of the front door, continuing, "No one has been killed that we know of, or has been announced. Rumours might as well be a dagger in itself though, straight into Porthca's heart. Likely noticed the streets were emptier, hm? Lestone has not been shy while you've been away, sometimes standing out in the harbor, staring at ships as they pass by."

Following Benito inside, Tyrius tried to remain neutral about Benito's pronouncements. Though something his friend had said did strike a chord in him. "Has he been attacking the ships or just watching them?" asked Tyrius, intrigued at the odd behaviour. Recognising the signs of a dinner that was meant to be ready to eat whenever, cold sandwiches being the main course, Tyrius wondered where Anthol and Sidwae were. Hopefully holed up with Joane and Robern keeping them safe. Tyrius remembered sprinting through the halls and trying to wake them up when Lestone first attacked them.

Hearing Benito speak of Lestone as if he were some mere threat to be dealt with caused a faint flash of anger through Valerie... strange, because she hardly knew either men. Her eyes slowly drifted down to the ring on her finger and noticed it tensing up. Strange... I do not believe that it likes Lord Benito... or perhaps something about how he speaks?

Valerie pushes the thoughts from her mind. No, no, no. No more discussion about the ring, not now. She felt a little bit disappointed by Benito’s immediate dismissal of her, but opted instead to redouble her efforts. She followed after the group and eyed his bow with a smile. “You said one of your titles was Master of Bows, yes? Sounds like quite the feat. I recently took up the bow myself... perhaps you could give me pointers at some point? It could prove to be useful in a fight versus the Sea, if it came to it.”

Hearing Tyrius’s question, Valerie frowned slightly and shook her head. “I would very much doubt that he attacks them. From what I have come to understand, he is a man that acts only with purpose. Still... that begs to ask what said purpose is.”

Grabbing a small plate with the food left out, Ben sat at the table, sideways in the chair, leaning on the table as everyone filed in, "Just watching, as far as anyone can tell." Taking a bite he washed it down with some wine that was left out, "Of course," he continued, swallowing, "the superstitious lot that sailors are, we've been getting reports of suddenly spoiled food, or missing merchandise. The food," he shrugged, "the merchandise tends to show up a few hours later from backalley deals. People using misfortune for their gain ..." muttering under his breath for a moment he returned to his meal.

Listening to Valerie speak, Benito raised an eyebrow, "Yes -- while magic seems eager to ignore my call, the bow has always been much kinder to me. When I was younger it was nearly my life, until things ... happened. Perhaps at some point we could compare skills, but other situations need to be dealt with first. I expect you all will wish to rest before doing anything else. Ask a servant and baths will be drawn, fresh clothing offered, as is custom for De'Porthca hospitality." He took another gulp of wine, "Rooms will be sorted out once more."

Valerie wanted to ask why a bowman attended a school as prestigiously gifted in magic as Azarad, but figured that it would not be a very good subject at the moment. She merely smiled and nodded to the tired looking lord. “It would be an honor, my Lord, although I doubt that my skills could compare. I fired my first arrow only a week or so ago, although I am familiar with the crossbow.”

Valerie eyed over the food but was not feeling particularly hungry at the moment. A bath, however, sounded incredible. The young warlock curtsied to Ben. “Thank you for your generous hospitality, Lord de Porthca. It has been a long journey. It was a pleasure to meet you, properly this time.” She gave him a slightly playful smile before turning to her friends. “I trust I will see you all again soon. Please, I ask that all of you get some rest. You may need all of the energy you can muster in the coming days.” She looked at Eliza and Tyrius specifically, holding her gaze for a moment before giving a final curtsy and going off to collect her possessions and find a bath.

So there was still no pinning Lestone down. Virra trotted along behind Ben and the others while re-introductions continued and hospitality was offered in the form of clothes and a bath. Normally she'd have jumped at both, but she was in no mood for them; she was practically jogging on the spot with repressed energy as the others made their achingly slow way through the manor. When Valerie curtseyed and began to leave, her head snapped up and she flexed a long-unused mental muscle.

Suddenly she was standing in front of the sometimes-Knight, hands on her hips. "No you don't, Val. Aren't we gonna finish this tonight?" She spread her arms in exasperation. "I thought we were gonna grab Malia, get another water elemental cooked up and finally figure out what the Sea's problem is." Concerned now, she looked around at the others. "Wasn't that the plan? We can afford to lose a few hours of sleep for that, right?" she urged.

Glancing to Virra as she teleported from one spot to another, Tyrius felt the sleep he hadn't been having hit him hard. At the same time, he would push himself if only to safeguard Joane and Robern. "Yes, that was the plan. How's your little elemental doing by the way?" asked Tyrius before turning to Benito, "Err, while we were in The Thief's cave we found a baby water elemental the thief had stolen." said Tyrius by way of an explanation, figuring that there were some elements that were best avoided for the time being.

You know Magnolia, I don't think I like the weirdo with the bow. He's kind of an arrogant little shit with his whole, "master of the bow thing."

I think you are right, this whole place smells of rich arrogance... Tyrius' family was nice, these ones are bell-ends.

oh good your talking to me again.

dam it! I forgot I was ignoring you! Ugghh!

What if these people actually stole something from the sea? Like the thief is a long lost relative?

that seems pretty far fetched but maybe, I wonder if he's alarmed you haven't acknowledged his pompous greeting?

Realising that she had completely been enamoured in her own head her only response was, "Hey. I'm Mags."

The trip through the house was boring enough that she paid very little attention, instead she chose to poke her nose around the room to find anything of interest. She even largely ignored "Ben-whatever" instead only offering him a bit of a wave.

Ander stepped into the bedroom with Sister Sybeth, holding a blanket in his arms. He looked sad, knowing it would be for the best that the injured cleric remain behind while he finished his mission. He smiled at Sybeth as he stepped forward to the bedside and he held out his arms and a piglet leaped from his arms onto the bed beside the woman. “I think Rupert wants to take care of you while I’m away,” he chuckled, thinking back to Dawnmaster Rupert and how devastated he had been when Sybeth had left. Ander had chosen not to share that story with the sister, but he enjoyed how she had shared stories of him after he had shared his pig’s name with her.
--------------------------------------------------

He had a hard time making himself move on, keeping fairly quiet as the team pushed forward to Porthca. He kept the pearl and the manacles safe as they made it back to the town where he had landed nearly a month earlier. He looked out from the cart and couldn’t believe they were back at that house. He went inside, not really in the mood to talk with Benito as he greeted them. His concerns in this house mainly fell on the children, Ben could take care of himself and Sidwae could almost certainly handle a great deal more than he would give her credit for.

Ander’s hair had become completely out of control, but he had completely lost his ability to give a shit about that over the past few days. He clearly had been losing sleep worrying about his friend and the pearl, but it was clear he had not lost his appetite. He sat down silently and listened to Ben rattle on as he ate a serving of food faster than anyone had ever seen him do so. He got a servant’s attention and quietly asked for more meat.

Glancing towards the ragged looking Ander, Ben raised an eyebrow, commenting, "Almost didn't recognize you -- thought perhaps you were another stray. Trying to go for a new look?" Turning back to the others with a sigh he stood, taking another drink of wine, "What do you mean 'little elemental'? You brought one here? Into my home? What if it is just another thing that works for the Sea, spying on us?"

A timid servant offered Ander a cold sandwhich of deli meat, a pickle and strip of lettuce with tomato and a drizzle of mustard on it. Setting the plate down she took a hesitant step back, as if unnerved by the paladin.

Swirling his cup, Benito spoke again, "I'm willing to finish it tonight if you are -- however we'd need to wake Lady Malia to summon the elemental again in an attempt to make things official with the Sea ... if that's even an option."

Leaning against a wall, Banrigg shrugged, "If it wouldn't be too much, maybe we should try. Seems likely th' sooner this is dealt with, th' sooner we can all get some proper sleep again."

Eliza was disappointed with how Ben was acting, she expected better from him, "Ander has been quite brave on our journey. Finding the pearl wasn't easy, Lord Benito." She fixed him with a stern look asking him to behave. "I would also like to have this chat with the Sea over with. In fact, I don't even see why we should summon Lady Malia so late. As we said, we have a water elemental which Ms Virra can speak to, but if you like I could also spend a few minutes casting a spell that could help in the translation."

Tyrius carefully kept his eyes off Benito, aware how quick to anger Benito could be. "The water elemental is just a baby. As Eliza said, Virra can speak to it. We've options. The sooner this is over, the safer all of Porthca will be." said Tyrius, almost name dropping Joane and Robern before thinking better of it. As he thought of their names, Tyrius remembered the conversation the two had had days ago when Tyrius had suggested a trap with the twins and other targets as bait. His cheeks flushed a little with shame and Tyrius kept the twins names out of it. "Master Anthol and Madam Sidwae, are they still safe?" asked Tyrius, another memory floating to mind of the tree stump with their names carved into it - a testament to a love that neither lover knew existed.

As Virra scoffed down whatever the servants put in front of her, she began to remember why she had mixed feelings about Porthca. Great food, insufferable company. She'd learned enough about Ben's interesting sides, and now all the sides that were left were just a chore to deal with. So she coped by not trying, instead letting the others take the lead during supper.

The only time she got involved was when the water elemental came up. "What he said." She jabbed a fork in Ty's direction. "Clingy never hurt anyone. If you want him to try and be a medium or whatever, I'll ask him once we've finished here." Then she turned right back to her food, her talkative spirit still evidently subdued.

Looking over at Eliza, Ben replied, "Nor was staying here and attempting to guard Porthca while allies were far and few between." He met the half-orc's gaze before sighing, "Apologies ... it's been a long few weeks, and I expect the sea would love to see us fighting right at the end of everything. If you trust this 'baby' water elemental, then so be it." At Tyrius' question he raised his cup, pointing upwards, "They rest, though uneasily. Sidwae has been ... eager in keeping the house magically protected."

Setting his cup down, he reached for his coats and weapons, reattaching the quiver, "If we're going to do this then, let's go." Carrying an offered lantern from a servant, he opened the door, motioning for the group to follow.

This late at night the streets are barely populated, the few that pass the large group turn away and hurry to their destination as a low fog begins to set in, rising from the harbor. Ben is silent, a range of emotions on his face as he strides ahead with the light, a hand messing with the bow he carries that looks like chunks of driftwood tied together.

Eventually the group arrives at the water's edge, not far from where they had been those weeks ago. The waves crash upon the sand, low fog almost like wispy snow along the ground, and the night sky is cloudless, a crescent moon offering faint light of its own as the stars seem to gather as a celestial audience. The ring on Valerie's finger begins to tighten almost painfully, as if preparing itself for what is to come. Standing on the surf, Benito holds the lantern aloft, looking down at Virra: "Time to see what 'Clingy' can do."

Virra took her time about treading the sand down and giving herself some solid ground to stand on before tapping on the waterskin at her hip.

"Hey," she said to the little elemental in a mental whisper, reaching down to the mouth of the container with her finger. "I think you're gonna want to see this. We're back at the ocean. You're home." She gave the little guy some time to go crawling over her as usual if it wanted to, but started "talking" again before too long. "Listen, my friends and I would really appreciate it if you could do us a huge favour. The one out there who calls herself the Sea — we need to talk to her, but we can't on our own. Would you be okay to get her attention for us?" she asked. The tone of her mental voice suggested Clingy was under no compulsion if he didn't want to.

Ander was aware that his newly outrageous beard was concealing most of his facial expressions, so the look of contempt on his face for the spoiled brat was well hidden as he finished off the last of his food. He didn't even feel like responding, his annoyance building with every passing minute. Why is he bothering me so much? he thought to himself, but even though he couldn't put his finger on it, Benito was pushing all of the paladin's buttons. He rolled his eyes behind the noble's back as he lead the group out to the shore.

It hadn't been that long ago that Ander had landed on this shore seeking some level of revenge?... no, retribution for his family's slaughter. He had been swayed by the plight of his new friends, and especially the innocent children he had met since landing, but having found the holy symbol and Sister Sybeth had only solidified his resolve that his real mission was to put an end to those slavers and free as many victims as he possibly could. He just wanted to put the sea behind him and focus on where he felt he was truly being called.

He trudged along, feeling oddly energetic as his annoyance pushed itself to a certain righteous indignation. His mind reeled slightly as he tried to convince himself it would soon be over, and once the pearl in his bag was safely taken away, he conscience would be clear. He thought of watching the incredible talents that Joane possessed with her little bow. He pictured himself making a fool of himself while laughing with Robern as he and his sister practiced their music. The happy memories and the thought of those kids being safe was enough to pull Ander out of his anger as he stood behind Virra and her odd watery friend.

He patted the pearl in his pack, not wanting to pull it out until it was the right time. He placed a hand on the gnome's shoulder and smiled down at her reassuringly.

Valerie could not shake the feeling that this entire plan was some sort of huge mistake, but in response to Virra's insistence followed by the rest of the party's agreement, she quickly backed down. After all, given the ring's influence on her, who was she to try to sway their opinion? Still, the decision to merely agree to hand over the pearl without having it examined by any of the city's scholars, or more people of influence present felt... hasty. She said a quick goodbye to Wayne Junior as they began to head off to the beach and was quiet during the trip and coming preparations. As they drew nearer to getting ready, however, she could not help but to speak up. "Do you all truly believe that it is wise for me to be unfettered like this? I... I promise to try my best to stay in control, but is that really a good risk to take?" Valerie did not love the idea of being bound, but she much preferred it over another incident such as her previous heist.

Ander makes eye contact with Valerie for the first time in a while. His face looks haggard and hairy, still very tired, but he smiles kindly as he says, "You aren't gonna do anythin'. I would rather have you fighting by my side than tied up because of what might happen." His eyes shimmer slightly in the moonlight as he looks at his young friend. "It's gonna be... fine," he says as his voice waivers significantly, making it very clear that he is not used to saying things with confidence that he doesn't believe.

Valerie was surprised to hear Ander speak up first, and looked at him in surprise. She could tell that the paladin was not entirely being forthright with her, but the fact that he was even making the effort still meant a lot to the young warlock. She bowed her head slightly to him. "Very well, if that is the case..." She gave him a hopeful smile. "Thank you, Ander. I promise to do my best to hold myself to your standard."

After Eliza finished her ritual of comprehend languages, a spell she hadn't cast in a long time, she shut her precious spell book and tucked it back in her bag. "You were there for us every other time." She smiled weakly trying to cheer up Val.

"I couldn't study it in its entirety but it is a very powerful object. It can create sirens and other creatures." Eliza pointed out having second thoughts now. "Are we just playing in the Sea's hands now?"

Night of the Twenty-sixth Day | Porthca | Beach:

Benito snorted, "We've been playing her game from the start, why should we stop now."

The small elemental at first doesn't seem to want to leave its flask, but slowly starts to drip outwards, pooling at the gnome's feet as she hears in her mind, "Caaaaaaan try, no proooooomisses. Waaaaaaaater!" It seemed to grow excited as it approached the waves, and in a strange way the water almost seemed to reach out to it as well, wrapping around its small strange form and sweeping it into the water.

There are a tense few moments as the group stands on the shore, Banrigg leans on his maul while Benito paces, "See -- we should have woken Lady Malia if we were going to do this -- obviously it's not going to wo--" the noble was cut off by a large wave approaching the shore and splashing down towards him. A watery laugh echoed through the air as the water reformed into that of a giant woman, her form shimmering as the liquid attempted to maintain her shape, small bits and pieces floated in the water to make up her face and expression, while her hair was row upon row of kelp and seaweed with glimmering pearls of various sizes and colors mixed in.

Her posture seemed to match as if she were sitting on the shore, her head still about twelve feet above the group as she looked down at them, the Sea herself. She chuckled again, "I thought perhaps like all those who dwell the land, you had made empty promises, yet the docks are cleared and I sense the birthstone of my daughters nearby." Those with darkvision could see, looking out into the water, feminine shapes and heads, hovering nearby in the water, watching the trade off.

The Sea's gaze traveled over each of the group as she placed a gentle hand on her chin, smiling, "So cruel, you think me all some evil deity I expect, cruel in my methods and ways. I am merely a creature of my nature, fickle and tempestuous, it was sailors and captains who believed so fervently and gave me the powers I bear, should I not play my part?" Lowering her hand it melded back into the water that flowed around her, "Regardless. We have a trade to make I believe -- my Pearl for the corpse of Cyne De'Porthca."

Benito seemed to grind his teeth at the Sea's casual nature, but grew silent as he saw the approach of Lestone carrying the ill-fated noble's body from the waves. The Sea glanced at it briefly, "I did not allow it to be spoiled, and I have not tampered. I kept my bargain as is my nature, now for yours."

Cyne looked as he did from the funeral, dressed in De'Porthca colors and at peace, while Ben growled at Lestone muttering, "You ... you look just as you did in the journals." He glanced up at the elemental-woman, "Would you have done to Cyne the same as you did to Lestone? Or to me, had I been allowed to offer myself in trade? Make them some cruel pet to you?"

Lestone seemed to stare at Valerie as the conversation continued, the warlock feeling a painful pulse from the ring -- one strong of desire to act, but Valerie pushed it down, emboldened by the confidence of those around her. Taken for a moment into the same strange dream-like state she'd achieved in speaking with the ring before she heard voices on the wind sounding desperate in sorrow and despair, "...My ... Son ..."

A laugh escaped from the Sea, "Cyne was deceased, I have no interest in the dead save to feed the creatures that dwell in my waters. And you ... hm," she studied Ben for a moment, "You I feel would attempt to fight me at every step. I think I would have given you to my daughters to entertain themselves with." A few cold smiles shone from the waves as the Sea continued, "I'm sure you could have managed that much. No, Lestone agreed to a contract, but fool that he is he did not understand what he signed."

Lestone glanced away from Valerie as the Sea laughed, "The Nobles of Porthca growing in prosperity as they forget the one on whose back they sail, the forgotten fifth, so keen they were on a balance of four."

Valerie did not much care for Lord Benito's response to Eliza's concerns, but had little time to dwell on the thoughts as the elemental was quickly released. She watched and waited with the rest as the seconds passed before the Sea made her grand entrance, a towering aquatic presence lounging on the shores. She listened to her go on about herself until at last she came to what they were there for: the negotiations. Hearing the Sea's claim, however, Valerie arched an eyebrow. That is rather strange... this bargain is not at all what I had heard stated by my friends.

Those thoughts were then silenced as a watery form emerged from the depths, a body in hand. Valerie stared at the person who she knew must be Lestone, feeling a strange sense of connectedness... familiarity, almost. When the jolt of pain ran throughout the young warlock's body however, she was ready for it. She focused on the feeling of hope and happiness that she had felt from Ander earlier and grit her teeth, fighting back against the urge with a forceful push. In a moment, the pain faded and all felt calm around her as it had weeks ago when she had communicated with the ring. Frustrated, she cried out in her head. What is it that you desire with such passion? Then, two simple words floated into her mind, and the world felt as if its entire perspective had shifted. Oh... Despite all the pain and anguish the ring had caused her over the past few weeks, Valerie felt nothing but pity for the poor entity that was forced to see their child as a monster. Taking a deep breath, she sent the ring a message in what she only hoped was a reassuring telepathic tone. I will help him as best I can. Trust me.

Taking a deep breath, Valerie adjusted the metallic laurel wreath on her head and felt her tongue loosen slightly, ancient magic guiding her words. Then, she approached the primordial entity that was the Sea. Looking up at the watery giant, she gave her her most diplomatic smile. "Salutations, Madame Sea. I am afraid that we did not have the opportunity to meet on the previous eve that you graced us with your presence. I am Valerie Rhitegast. It is such an honor to meet a being so magnificent and poised." She curtsied low before straightening and continuing. "I have heard so much about you, as well as about the purpose of our quest. Now, while we are on the topic of contracts, I actually have several questions, if you would indulge me. Pardon me if I am mistaken, but I do believe that the bargain that you had made with my friends was that they would locate the Pearl for you, and the terms of exchange would be negotiated upon their next meeting. As kind as you are to return the corpse of the late Lord Cyne, I believe that we all know that the Pearl is a far greater prize." Despite the fact that she was speaking to a being that could likely destroy her with a thought, Valerie felt oddly at ease as she spoke. "I do thank you for the warning of the unfortunate tale of Lestone. I will be certain that we will all be very well briefed on the terms of this contract by the time it is finalized. My Grandfather always said that the best arrangements benefit all parties equally, and I can assure you that my intent is to leave none here feeling cheated of what they deserve. I trust that your aim is the same."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread