Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving him her warmest smile, "it's been almost fifteen years since he passed. Now mind you, he did live a great long life until he passed."
Hearing that their friends had seemingly picked up another new companion, "oh hooray! I think we have another for Checkers! This time we drag everyone in!"

Rowanne clenched her jaw as the gnome shouted to the table. The little annoyance, that lingered in her mind before, grew, this time she knew the cause, because, what felt like a great number of people, were attempting to converse with her. She’d come to check up on Niradnam, yet barely spoke a word to him and she had little time to answer one question before being asked another. Rowanne wasn’t fond of conversing with the the more socially inclined and she typically kept to herself. As the thought of this party growing came to mind her anxiety grew as well. She looked to Niradnam with a pleading eye, a beg for help. She needed a repose from this barrage of people and questions.

At Virra's shouting towards Tyrius, Valerie winced slightly, not wanting to draw further attention to herself. Her hand played with the ring on her finger nervously as she glanced back over her shoulder briefly towards the thugs from before. Seeing them still looking at her, she slid off of her stool at the bar and looked to those around her with an apologetic smile. "I am afraid I must apologize, but I have left my drink unattended long enough. Have fun catching up!"

Valerie quickly made her way back to their table, taking a seat close to Elizabeth. She forced a smile. "It appears we have made a new friend! How have you all been in my absence?" Glancing over at her glass, Valerie slid it over and filled it up before noticing the sleeping mouse on the table. Gods, Faust, must you always be such a rebel? She took a big drink of the brandy, hoping to wash away her anger and embarrassment at the situation.

Rowanne let out a long held breath as Valerie left for the table. She could feel the stress begin to dissipate and she finally relaxed. She took another sip of the brandy looked over at Virra for a second, then moved closer to Niradnam, “Dancing huh?” she chuckled, quietly, “I wish I could’ve seen it because I don’t believe it.” Again she sipped the brandy. Returning to a regular volume she asked, “So what is this journey you mentioned?”

Wyford | Late Evening | Restless Devil Inn:

At Virra's shout Niradanm tensed slightly before sighing, glancing down at the gnome, "Was that really neccessary ... ?"

He chuckled faintly at Rowanne's comments, messing with a strand of his hair, "To be honest I still don't know if what I did could be considered dancing, but at least we managed to not fall over. I suppose that could be considered an accomplishment."

Answering her other question he replied, "Probably not best to speak of it too loudly in a place like this ... but I think we found what I was sent out here to look for. It's not just a myth if everything I read was correct, and we're hoping to set out tomorrow -- should be a four-day journey out."

She giggled quietly, “I suppose that is an accomplishment. It’s been some time since I danced myself, but-” Rowanne’s smile faded and she looked down at her feet. She sighed and allowed Niradnam to answer her other question.

Rowanne leaned in as he lowered his voice. A small burst of excitement formed within her at the mention of his readings, she was eager to hear what he had learned and to share her own studies as well. She brought a hand to her chin. “Judging by your tone I’m guessing it’ll be dangerous, so I don’t mind coming along. You know, to make sure you’re safe while you accomplish your task.” Rowanne shifted her weight and turned so Virra could hear her as well. Her voice took on a more serious almost parental tone. “If you’re leaving tomorrow, what are you all doing here, don’t you think you should all get some rest?” She turned back to Niradnam, “I’m especially surprised to see you here, Niradnam, I didn’t think hanging around taverns was your thing.” She ended the sentence with a quiet chuckle.

Niradnam continued to mess with his hair, looking across the tavern room before answering, "Er ... I figured I might as well see what the fuss was about?" He nodded down towards Virra, "Lady Virra and Lord Tyrius encouraged me to come out here. So far it's been alcohol, loud noises, attempts at dancing, and nearly a brawl." Smiling back at Rowanne he added, "But at least now I know, right?"

Hearing Virra's voice calling out for him across the tavern, Tyrius had to avoid wincing as he mentally toted up the damage.

'Pyria, Valerie, Magnolia, yeah I think my parents are going to want another talk with me.' thought Tyrius.

"We can probably make room," called Tyrius before bellowing across the room, "Hey Elizabeth, fancy a room mate for the night?"

Turning to Magnolia, Tyrius returned her smile with one of his own, "It's good he lived a long life. I don't know much about religion but I'm sure your grandfather made his way to Yondalla." said Tyrius sincerely as he glanced up and saw the new person that Magnolia was talking about. "Heh, we could have a tournament game or something." proposed the sorcerer.

Rowanne gritted her teeth as another shouted back at Virra, she assumed that was 'Ty.'

“I know this sort of thing isn’t my style, but I was tired and looking for a place to stay so here I am.” Rowanne shrugged and sipped the brandy, still not accustomed to the taste, she pushed the drink away. “I was going to say if you needed more practice with dancing I don’t mind giving you a few pointers,” Rowanne laughed and smiled weakly, looking at her hands and lowering her voice almost to a mumble, “Last I danced was a festival, nothing like this,” she looked up again, the weak smile grew, but there was a sadness in her eyes, “but I don’t mind creating new memories, to replace the old ones.”

Rowanne got up from her seat, “I think it may be best I met the others?” She looked to the table and dread sank into her stomach. She wasn’t looking forward to this meeting, but it was necessary and it wasn’t like she deserved to have her way, so she must press on.

Virra shuffled restlessly in her seat as Rowanne began to speak to Niradnam in an undertone. So there was something going on there. "Yeah, I think it was," she replied to Niradnam, feigning confusion at his annoyance. "Now everyone knows what's going on and I don't have to make a thousand telepathic links. We all win."

Rowanne's question about what she was doing there turned her confusion into something genuine. "I mean, some people find this restful," she muttered, suddenly wishing she'd brought her brandy with her. These two were beginning to sound far too familiar for her to cope with. When Rowanne got up to go and get acquainted with the others, Virra was on her feet in an instant. "Oh, absolutely. You've already met Valerie, so that's one third of the rest of the group here. One sixth if you count the ones back at the castle. You'll like 'em."

After waving her towards the group at the table, she hung back to glance at Niradnam. "So, she's a Helvuan too? What's the relation there?" she asked, looking between the dark man and the pale woman with obvious interest.

Glad that someone wasn't making her talk about dead relatives magnolia was glad to see Val. It's not that she minded speaking on the subject of death mind you, more that she had just met these people and some of these questions were terrible personal.

"So who is our new friend and does she play checkers? The board can fit six people at a time, and that makes seven. Also next time we have a slumber party you better be there! I don't know how things work in your country, but when there is a party everyone is invited." Mags didn't really understand this country, if fun was to be had you showed up, the end.

Eliza cooed over the little piglet before realizing there was no familiar snoozing ball of fur in any of her pockets. “I seem to be losing a mouse. What is that rascal up to now.” She sighed exasperated and tried to send a message to Faust through their link but getting nothing. “I close my eyes for 30 seconds and he is off goodness knows where.” She muttered annoyed as she started stuffing the books back in place forgetting she was a wizard.

Elizabeth took another sip of her brandy before poking the sleeping rat on the table, "I assume since no one's freakin' out, you guys know this guy?" she smirked, waving at Valerie as she sat down. "I think I maaaaaaaaay have had too much for tha' performance everyone's all excited about. You?" Wincing from Tyrius' yell right into her ear she turned to her brother, "Iunno, think mom'n dad'll be okay with you bringing home yet another lady in jus' as many days?"

Niradnam paused at Virra's question, a faint blush on his cheeks, "No ... that was ... I mispoke. I didn't expect her to show up here. We're friends -- not related or married." He worked to help guide Rowanne to the table, sweeping his arm across the group as he went, "That is Lord Tyrius Silverbane and his sister Lady Elizabeth Silverbane, their family has been hosting me these past few weeks. Then there's Lady Valerie Rhitegast whom you met, and Lady Virra Nickletooth, along with Lady Magnolia Underbow. Everyone, this is Lady Rowanne Helvuan, cleric of Athena and Foxe Hunter of Azarad, along with being a good friend of mine."

Wincing slightly as the taste of the brandy washed down her throat, Valerie hardly felt the effects of the strange drink. She put on a smile to Magnolia. "Oh, well I will be certain to keep that in mind next time. I do love games, although I am not particularly skilled at them." She then followed Elizabeth's gaze down to Faust and answered slightly embarassedly. "Oh, apologies. That is Faust, Eliza's pet mouse. I had allowed him to come along with me on the condition that he behaved himself... obviously he did not listen."

At Elizabeth's second question, Valerie wrapped her arms around herself subconsciously although she tried to keep an even tone. "No, I do not believe that I am much in the mood for playing at the moment..." As Niradnam and Rowanne approached again, Valerie waved to the woman again as she was reintroduced, not bothering to correct him on the mistitling.

Hearing Valerie's explanation, Tyrius grinned, "Guess that's two of us in the dog house." Tyrius said as he scooped up the sleeping familiar and pocketed him. "I think Mum and Dad'll understand." Tyrius added, though for once he didn't look too convinced by that.

As Niradnam introduced his friend, Tyrius gave her a small wave when his name was spoken. He turned to Elizabeth again, "See? She's both a friend of Niradnam's and another graduate of Azarad. I'm sure they'll be fine."

To Magnolia the sorcerer added, "Hmm, maybe we should take the sleeping pet home and have our checkers game in the manor? Plus I'm sure my parents would rather meet Lady Helvuan while they're awake."

Rowanne allowed Niradnam to lead her to the table, her heart rate increasing as she neared. She gave a small wave back as she was introduced and couldn’t help but blush a little after hearing herself be called ‘Lady.’ That was a first for her, but as he referred to everyone in that way just then, she knew he was just being overly respectful. She wondered if she should refer to at least the Silverbanes with those titles, since that wasn’t the first time she’d heard them called ‘Lord’ and ‘Lady.’

“Oh, I’m not a student, I’m a guard at the University, specializing in magical crimes. I have no need to study magic in that way, not that there’s anything wrong with that.” She looked to Niradnam apologetically as she said this.

“Sorry, I don’t mean to impose, I really don’t mind staying here if I must, I’m not worried about any tough characters.” She put her hand on the hilt of her shortsword and gestured to the large sword strapped to her back with her other hand.

"Uh-huh?" Virra's tone was a model of innocence. "Well, she seems nice. You've picked a very suitable friend." She wandered after Niradnam as he led Rowanne to the table, giggling at the formality of his address once again. "If my fellow lords and ladies wish it, I'm good to head back to the manor now," she put in."Place stinks less."

Hearing Rowanne describe her work quickly threw cold water on her cheery mood. Virra wasn't sure how broad a field "magical crimes" was, but it could easily create some issues. She looked to Niradnam again. "Does she know?" she asked with an unusual amount of urgency. "About this stuff. Is she gonna be a problem?"

Niradnam shook his head slightly towards Virra, replying, "She doesn't know and I'm not really intending her to if I can help it. That's why I'm not showy about it ... being in Azarad could be a death sentence in many ways." He paused, "However of those to find out ... I don't think she'd entirely throw us to the wolves. Or foxes in this case." There was a sense of grim humor in his mental voice.

Magnolia nearly fell off her chair laughing; snorting before putting on her fancy impression "oohhh how lovely to make your acquaintance m'lady. I dare say we simply must retire for the evening. Fetch the carriAge!"

Magnolia may not understand the rich, out have any idea about what they are really like. That of course would not stop her from making fun of them.

Heading toward the exit her arms locked with Val and Tyrius, her shouting continued, "too checkers!"

Niradnam's gallows humour was lost on Virra. "Are you serious? She probably won't ruin my life if she finds out I'm talented?" She clutched at her hair, the expression she wore becoming more and more thunderous by the second. "And now she's coming with us to the thief's hoard. I won't be able to do anything!" She'd been looking forward to the journey so much, and now it was all spoiled. She cut off the mental link and turned away from the group at large so they wouldn't see the look on her face.

The scholar looked down at Vira confused, "... what do you mean you won't be able to do anything? Do you only have mental abilities? Did your Master not teach you how to hide, to pretend to be doing magic?" He nodded at the others with a tired smile, "Yeah, think I'm ready to turn in for the night as well."

He glanced back at the gnome with a frown, "If it means anything, I trust her, and I've known her longer than you have."

Seeing Rowanne standing there so confidently with her hand on her weapon ready to face the world, Valerie felt a further wave of shame and embarrassment, but even more anger. You're better than this. You don't deserve the treatment from those foul thugs, and you know very well that the Knight would not have stood for this. Besides, it is ignorant to think this is their first time. She clenched her fists tightly, her knuckles turning white. If I do not speak up now, that is condemning more to their acts. Valerie suddenly felt a small arm wrap around her, and she slipped out if it's grip instinctively before looking at Magnolia apologetically. "I am sorry, I... I have something to do before I leave." Without allowing herself another thought, Valerie strode off back towards the table, her expression now resolved.

Approaching the table, Valerie stood a slight distance away before clearing her throat. "Excuse me, gentlemen? I assure you, this is the last time I will trouble you tonight." She held out her right hand to her side and her ring's form shimmered as the familiar long, white, wickedly sharp glaive formed in her hand. Valerie stared them down unflinchingly this time. "I would like an apology."

Tyrius smiled to Rowanne, glad to see she was well armed. 'A large sword like that - Ander would probably like to see that. If he's feeling up for meeting new people.' thought the sorcerer.

"It's quite alright," said Tyrius with a smile, "I'm sure we can make room and if needed I could always sleep in my brother's room or something." he offered, realising he had no idea how many guest rooms were currently spoken for. Though that did bring up a new issue. 'I brought a book and writing set for each person already in the group - but didn't account for someone joining.' thought Tyrius to himself.

Watching Valerie walk away, Tyrius wondered curiously what was going on until he saw a large sharp glaive appear in her hand. 'Ohshitohshitohshit,' thought Tyrius, wondering if he should risk casting his Expeditious Retreat spell or if it was the most prudent course of action.

"What did they do?" asked Tyrius, hoping there was a good reason Valerie appeared to be risking starting a bar fight. One Silverbane involved in a bar brawl would just have Moriana and Baldrus sighing as Elizabeth explained how it came to be that she was cracking a bar stool over someone's head at three o'clock in the morning. Two Silverbanes was a scandal waiting to happen.

Virra folded her arms and outright ignored Niradnam's messages. Like she had to listen to anything he said just because he was psionic too.

Absorbed in her own misery, she only became aware of the movement of the group when Valerie suddenly left to go and speak with those jerks from before. Then the glaive came out, and she began to pay attention -- though a good part of it was focused on the Foxe Hunter, wondering what she'd make of Valerie's aggressive use of magic.

She nudged Ty's leg. "I didn't hear all of it, but they were being creeps when she tried to talk to them," she explained, the beginnings of a smile rising to her face again. "Guess she's gone to teach thm some manners." Imagining that the sometimes-knight wouldn't want to be interrupted, Virra hung back and kept an attentive eye on the unfolding scene, ready to blow a few minds when things kicked off.

...Except Rowanne was there, and there was no way she wouldn't notice the thugs dropping unconscious out of nowhere. Gods, this is already the worst.

Hearing Virra's summary of it, Tyrius looked over to Valerie with concern as he waved his hands a little and then touched his own shoulder, once again invoking his favourite speed spell before he watched the group carefully. The slightest sign that they were going to become violent towards Valerie, Tyrius planned on rushing over, hoping the sight of the fact that Valerie wasn't alone would be enough to persuade the louts to back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread