Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wyford | Late Evening | Restless Devil Inn:

Elizabth giggled again at Virra's words, nodding as she somewhat dizzily from all the spinning followed the Gnome back to the table. "Heh -- warmed up sure, but perhaps I've sampled a little too much to reasonably play now ..." she leaned on the table smiling at Virra before glancing over towards Valerie and Niradnam, a frown slowly taking over her expression as she muttered, "Oh no ..."

Niradnam still followed along behind Valerie, looking somewhat nervous at the table as they all studied the woman now standing next to them. One of them reached out towards her with a crude grin, reaching for the fabric of her dress, "Ay, nice lookin' one ain'tcha? An' speakin' so fine too, must not be a local lass ye?"

The other three at the table laughed, continuing to deal cards. One of them glanced towards Niradnam, "This'n yours, lad? Looks t'good fer ya, best we take 'er off yer hands for th' night eh?" He laughed, "S'pecially if she comes wit' drinks!"

At their words, Niradnam's fist clenched, frowning, but something seemed to catch his eye. A look of frustration appeared to cross his face, as his hands relaxed. "I don't think you should abuse her kindness, 'gentlemen', lest your night gets more likely to end early." He glanced towards Valerie, "Please don't get startled ... but I saw all of them at least have daggers and one has their hand resting on it."

"Nah, you haven't been out that long. They only left a bit ago." He rose to his feet and came over to the stacks of reading material, "I've been a bit outa sorts, so I may have just missed ya tellin' me, but what is it you've been researchin'? Have you found anythin' interestin'?" He smiles warmly as he absentmindedly flips through a few pages of material that goes a good deal over his head. Rupert sleeps calmly across his arm as he holds it in front of his chest, letting out quiet snoring sounds every once in a while.

Eliza giggles slightly, “Not really, just some books about the myths and legends in the surrounding area. I think I fell asleep in the first few pages.” She got up to stretch her aching legs and patted the sleeping piglet, “What did you decide to name this cute fella?”

"I named him after one of the old priests who I studied under when I was growin' up. His name's Rupert." He scratched the piglet under the chin. "Dawnmaster Rupert helped me to learn about peace and calm, skills that have been eludin' me for a few days, now." He looked down at his pet and closed his eyes.

Valerie took a step back away from the reach of the man, smiling to them despite her growing discomfort. She found herself regretting her decision to attempt to make amends, and was grateful for Niradnam’s approach. “Oh... well thank you for the compliment. Yes, I’m from the capital, actually.”

At the second man’s comment, Valerie panicked slightly internally. Yes, definitely a very bad idea. She figured that she was more than a match with any of the men, but was trying to think of a peaceful way to bring the situation to a preferable resolution for everyone. It was then that Niradnam’s voice appeared in Valerie’s head, and it took everything she had not to yelp in surprise. Hesitantly, she responded, unsure of what to do with this new information. “Mr. Niradnam? I am sorry, I think this was a mistake... regardless, I am hardly unarmed, and am certain my blade is far longer and pointier than theirs, but I am hoping to not ruin the night. Maybe...” She lost focus on the connection as a plan formed in her head, one that relied on some of her less combative talents.

Valerie looked over to the man who had spoken first and reached out for her and put on her warmest smile as she played with the ring on her hand. “Pardon me, sir, but it appears that I must apologize for interrupting your game once again. How about I go get that round ordered, and you and I make sure that none of us bother each other any further on this night?” Her tone never shifted, but her words took on a strange, almost bubbly quality towards the end of her sentence, and her eyes searched the man’s for any sign of her spell taking effect.

Tyrius wasn't sure how people could find faith like that, or if maybe faith found them. Hearing Magnolia's reassurance, Tyrius gave her a little smile.

"So, how'd you first notice she was there?" Tyrius asked, unable to restrain his curiousity as he continued to dance, not paying much attention to his surroundings or anything going on in the tavern, figuring if someone needed him they'd get his attention somehow.

Eliza stood in silence awkwardly unsure of what to say. “They seemed like wonderful people, Ander. I am sorry you had to go through that.”

Chewing her lip she patted the stoic man’s shoulder, “There, there.” she mumbled.

“Is there anything I can do to help you through this difficult time?” She said as she kept patting his shoulder. She was totally nailing this comforting thing.

Hearing the uneasiness in Elizabeth's voice, Virra followed her gaze to Valerie and the table full of men leering at her. She sighed. "Poor fellas don't know what they're getting into." She remained on her feet to watch the scene unfold, occasionally glancing back at their own table to make sure nobody was trying anything untoward with their drinks.

While Valerie spoke the man started to nod, "Aye ... yeah, I think a drink'll do fine." He nudged the others at the table, "Drinks're less finicky than a woman, yeah?!" The others grumble a bit, seeming disappointed, one muttering, "Better be th'good stuff then ..."

Behind Valerie Niradnam sighed in relief, speaking in her mind again, "You handled that well -- I'm sorry if this scared you, but I thought you should know in case they got too carried away." Outloud he spoke, bowing slightly to the table, "We'll make sure you all get drinks worth your time -- assuming it can even be found here," he chuckled hesitantly. With an arm he gestured for Valerie to follow him to the bartender while the men at the table continued to watch Valerie, one idly reshuffling the cards and preparing to deal once more.

At the group's table, Elizabeth sighed, seeing the scene appear to calm. She turned to look at Virra, "Oh? That lot tend to start fights they can't finish anyways. They're kinda the unofficial entertainment, yanno?"

Valerie bit back a response to the man’s comment about women. Easy, easy... all you need to do now is just walk away. That is it. Niradnam’s mental message pulled her focus away. She smiled to the thugs and gave them a small curtsy. “I will be sure to let the tender know to get you ‘the good stuff’. Thank you for the lovely conversation.”

Valerie turned away from the group, still feeling their gaze linger on her as she walked away. Looking back to Niradnam, she returned a message. “I appreciated the warning. And thank you for coming to my assistance. I have handled far worse on my own, but normally I am in my armor, and they are trying to kill me, not...” She did not want to think any further on that. Valerie folded her arms across her chest and quickened her pace, walking a little closer to the small man. “Anyways... I did not wish to make a scene unless they forced me to.” She glanced over her shoulder back at the table. “I hope the spell holds...”

Reaching the bar, Valerie waved down the bartender and forced a smile before indicating the table she had just left. “A round of ‘the good stuff’ for those lovely folk.”

Spent from a day of travel, Rowanne approached a building with two floors, where she assumed the top floor housed rooms for pay. She clutched her coin pouch, checking she had enough coin.

Upon entering the tavern she found a number of different characters, as expected for such a place but what caught her attention was a finely dressed woman who certainly seemed out of place; her clothes much to elegant for such a setting. Next to the woman, Rowanne spotted the familiar brown and white tipped hair of Niradnam. Her heart began to pick up pace due to her excitement at finally finding him, or was that nerves? She was relieved to see him in one piece and she was relieved her journey was at an end, for now, so the excitement was understandable. Anxiety that this man wasn’t actually him sank into her stomach though. Feeling a bit ill, Rowanne thought perhaps she should approach the bar to not only get a closer look but also get a little something to calm her down.

She did as she planned and approached the bar, eyes on the man she suspected to be her friend, ”Bartender, I’d like a bit of something to calm my nerves, what do you recommend?” Her voice was soft but confident.

Glancing over his shoulder back towards the table, Niradnam replied, "I hope it holds too ..." As his gaze swept the room he caught sight of someone who appeared to be familiar ... but why would she be here? He watched for a moment as she approached, stepping up to the bar alongside the pair.

The dwarven woman stood on her stool, staring at Valerie as she placed her order then suddenly yelled to the side, "Get'da 'Smooth Lady' fer tha gamblers! This'un's payin!" Tatdiv returned to staring at Val, her hand out, "Two gol'." Hearing Rowanne her head turned slightly, hand still before Valerie, "Recommen' strong ale or brandy. Got some here, 'ive silver." Her other hand now sat before Rowanne.

Niradnam shifted his stance slightly to turn and look at the newcomer, his eyes widening, "... Rowanne? What are you doing here?"

“I’ll take the brandy,” Rowanne reached for her coin pouch when she heard a familiar voice. She turned to seen that it was in fact Niradnam she had spotted. A slight smile tugged at the corners of her mouth, but she quickly dismissed it. Her expression reflected the seriousness in her voice, “I’m here because the Foxe Hunters sent me to check on you. You’re not in trouble, this is simply for your safety.” Her tone was formal, like that of a guard or soldier. “Is this where you’re staying?”

Valerie's shoulders slumped slightly at hearing the cost of the drinks, but she dutifully dug out the two gold pieces and placed them in the dwarf's hand. "Thank you..." She mumbled, regretting not bashing the smirks off of those goons faces. She was about to head back to their table when she heard Niradnam suddenly begin a conversation with someone. She turned in surprise and looked over at the mysterious 'Rowanne' woman that had approached. "You know Mr. Niradnam?" Recovering from the initial surprise at Niradnam having friends, Valerie smiled to the woman and gave her a small curtsy. "My name is Valerie Rhitegast, it is a pleasure to meet you. Mr. Niradnam is actually staying with the Silverbane's, the heads of this town. Lord and Lady Silverbane are actually present as well." She indicated the brightly dressed bard at the table and a sharply dressed man dancing strangely with a halfling woman. Valerie wanted to ask about the Foxe Hunters, but figured this was not really a conversation to get too involved in, seeing as it was not really her business.

Rowanne was surprised to see how young the woman in fancy dress was, she wondered what she was doing with Niradnam. Then she was surprised to hear her call him, ‘Mr. Niradnam.’ She seemed to be very polite, Rowanne was sure she'd get some respect from the younger girl. “Yes I know him, I’m Rowanne Helvuan, cleric of the goddess Athena and member of the Foxe Hunters.” Rowanne didn’t drop her formality but it felt strange to talk to one younger than herself in such a way. She looked over to where Valerie pointed out the Silverbanes and nodded in recognition. Rowanne turned her attention back to Niradnam, “Well I’m sure they’re treating you well, Niradnam,” and then back to Valerie. Rowanne felt a slight annoyance at the back of her head as she pondered the overdressed young woman. She couldn’t pinpoint what the source of the annoyance was but she knew to be wary of Valerie.

Remembering the bartender she quickly handed her a gold piece and waited for her change and drink.

Leading her young consort back to their table, "come it's much easier to talk when not dancing." Plopping down in a chair, she motioned for him to join her.

Pouring them both another drink, "well then, as you know I'm a halfling. She watches over us the same as any other god with a chosen people. She takes care of us, she's our protector. That's what she does, she protects people and keeps them safe."

Fishing something from inside her homespun sweater, it is wooden medallion bearing Yondalla's symbol, "this comes from my home land... It keeps me on the right path and safe." There is a sadness in her voice as she talks about home, an astute person could easily tell there is a longing for it. "My grandfather carved this..."

Valerie smiled brightly to the older woman, blissfully unaware of her suspicion. "Oh, well nice to meet you Ms. Rowanne!" She thought to herself before frowning slightly. "I do not believe I am familiar with Athena. I mean, I have heard the name before, but I am afraid I do not know much of anything about her domain."

Something was nagging at Valerie's mind about the name 'Foxe Hunters'... “Oh! You work at Azarad, yes? That is most exciting.” She smiled and then paused, the situation not entirely making sense. “If Mr. Niradnam is not in trouble, what brings you here? I thought that he was only here for research.”

Following Magnolia back to a table, Tyrius sat down opposite her, watching with a smile as she poured another drink for them both. As Magnolia began her explanation, Tyrius found himself thinking of more questions though for the moment he kept them to himself.

As Magnolia talked about her grandfather, Tyrius picked up ever so slightly on the feeling of loss in her voice. Taking a close look at the symbol, Tyrius admired the way it was carved. "It looks like very good craftsmanship." commented Tyrius, "How long have you been away from your grandfather?" he asked, figuring he'd keep the questions about how Yondalla communicated with Magnolia to himself for the time being.

Rowanne gave a slight smile to Valerie, as she professed a lack of knowledge in her goddess, but was then taken aback at her sudden interest in her work. Rowanne had no reason to be nervous as she had a legitimate reason for being there, she could feel a sense of dread after hearing the question. “I do work there, and I’m here because there was concern about Mr Niradnam’s well being, as he hadn’t reported back in some time.” Rowanne held back a smile as she called him ‘Mr. Niradnam.’ “And as for Athena, her domain is knowledge and war.”

Rowanne took her drink from the bartender and took a small sip of the bitter liquid. It filled her mouth with a burning sensation which caused her to let out a singular cough. She gave a forced smile and looked to Niradnam, then back to her drink. One who wasn't familiar with Rowanne might've found her to be sad, based on her expression. This misconception was due to her lips whose corners pulled downward, her eyes which were heavily lidded and her complexion was as pale as the dead and her white hair only paled her further.

Listening to the two women talk back and forth, Niradnam nervously tapped the bartop. Tatdiv eagerly took the gold from Rowanne, slowly giving the change in return as a bottle similar to what the other group had received was poured for her.

He smiled hesitantly, "I didn't think I was in trouble, just ... surprised you'd show up, made me think something had gone wrong if anything." Niradnam turned to glance over at Tyrius and Elizabeth nodding, "Er but yes, I'm not staying here, the Silverbanes of Wyford offered me room and board at their manor while I dug through their library. They have treated me very well ... we're actually planning to set out tomorrow though for our journey." He reached for Rowanne's hand with a slightly more assured smile, "If you're concerned and were sent to keep an eye on me, you should come along! I highly doubt the trip will entirely be easy or calm, and I expect the group would benefit from your own skills and knowledge."

Virra couldn't help but look disappointed at Elizabeth's explanation. "Oh. Shame we're gonna miss that, then." She watched the creeps drink and grumble for a moment, tilting her head. "Maybe I could knock over all of their glasses or something..."

Quickly, though, her attention was taken up by other things. First there was Ty and Mags finishing their dance and retiring for drinks, which Virra was very tempted to butt in on. More interesting, though, was the newcomer standing near Valerie -- and the fact that Niradnam actually approached her. "Hmm," she mused to Elizabeth, stroking her chin. "Think I'm gonna see what that's all about. Lemme know if you start feeling up to a song and I'll get everyone's attention for you." With that she strode off to the bar and the small gathering that had built up there. At the sight of Niradnam reaching for the woman's hand, she sped up.

"'Ello, 'elllo," she began, loudly enough to ensure all three could hear her. She grinned and climbed into the nearest unoccupied seat to the newcomer. "Who's all this, then? One of your library friends, Niradnam?" She gave the scholar a wink as she assumed the usual cross-legged position. "You didn't tell me to expect a visitor, but that's okay. Virra 'Hopalong' Nickeltooth, it's a pleasure," she finished, extending a hand to the woman. Then she got a better look at her expression and frowned. "Ah, oh no. Did you get some bad news? Did I come in at the wrong time?" she asked lightly.

Valerie looked at the other woman in slight awe at hearing about her goddess. "Wow... she sounds like she is rather powerful. Too many people believe that fighting is all about brute force, but it sounds like for Athena, that is not the case." She then smiled to Rowanne. "Anyways, for the brief time that I have known him, Niradnam has been nothing but a pleasure. And a surprisingly good dancer." She laughed, and then turned to Niradnam and nodded excitedly at his suggestion. "Oh, yes, that sounds like a delightful idea! We could always use more hands. Besides, I would not mind someone else to help hold the line given how many people we need to defend."

Valerie then looked over to Virra and giggled as she approached. "This is Ms. Rowanne, Mr. Niradnam's friend from home... is your middle name really 'Hopalong', Virra?"

"You ain't gotta worry 'bout me, Miss Eliza. I lost ma cool for a bit, but I know that no matter what, Lathander is lookin' out for my family." He smiled, "and I've got a new group of friends who are lookin' out fer me, too."

Ander pet the piglet on his arm, "I've got no clue why the others would go out dancin' when we were s'posta be headin' out on a treasure hunt," he shrugged, "but I guess tomorrow is as good a day as any for adventure." He laughed quietly, taking care not to disturb his new pet.

Rowanne smiled, glad to hear Niradnam was doing well, and slightly embarrassed to have made such a fuss over him. She should’ve known he could handle himself just fine.

Rowanne flinched a bit when Niradnam reached for her hand but she didn’t move away. Her heart leaped for a second before returning to a normal pace. She took another sip of the brandy. Cough.

‘Good dancer?’ Rowanne would never have imagined Niradnam dancing. Lost in thought, a jolt was sent through Rowanne at the sudden greeting of another, a grey gnomish woman approaching them and asking who Rowanne was. She introduced herself and Rowanne nodded in recognition, then reached out to complete the handshake. "Rowanne Helvuan, cleric of Athena and member of the Foxe Hunters,” Rowanne added after Valerie’s answer.

Still smiling, Virra stuck her tongue out at Valerie. "It's one of my middle names, yeah. Remind me to tell you the story some day." She shook Rowanne's hand firmly, then gave an exaggerated groan. "Another Azarad type? I swear, I can't go five paces without tripping over one of you," she grumbled, opting not to reveal her ignorance about what a Foxe Hunter actually was. At least the white-haired woman didn't seem to have any particular reason to be frowning, though she was finding it tough to get a read on her. "So, Rowanne, are you gonna be sticking around? If you need somewhere to crash for the night, I think we can figure something out," she offered. Without waiting for an answer she swivelled around on her stool, spotted Tyrius and cupped her hands around her mouth.

"Hey, Ty! D'you think you've got room for another wandering cleric?!" Sometimes she didn't feel like using telepathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread