Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eliza closed her eyes tight and braced herself for the oncoming tsunami. After a few seconds passed with no immediate death, she cracked an eye open and saw the now eight-foot woman was now standing way too close for Eliza‘s peace of mind.

She began to casually move aside, crab-like at times, to get away from the fishy mess And stand behind Ander. She felt relieved to finally be out of the spotlight but the terms were still unacceptable.

She covered her mouth and pointed her wand at Valerie and started whispering her message, “Tell her that to prevent the mistakes of the previous one, this contract cannot be passed down automatically. The new heads of the families has to be of age and has to be willing to sign the contract. No more killing kids.”

Seeing the large man approach, Valerie gave Ander a small smile and a nod as he approached and confirmed her belief. She felt reassured with him at her side, and less like she was fumbling around with her words. With the Sea relenting and giving up Lestone, Valerie felt a rush of joy, relief and pride. The warlock was certain that the ring would wish to go to him, but she managed to stay disciplined for now, wincing slightly as Virra spoke up. As ideal as it would be, I highly doubt that the Sea would agree to utilizing non-violent methods in her wrath. The sea is a chaotic place fraught with danger... the best us mortals can hope to do is to traverse it carefully, but it will never be peaceful.

Hearing Eliza speak up, Valerie nodded her agreement and whispered back. "Yes, it is important to be sure that this foolishness will never take place again. The errors of the ancestors of Porthca have caused enough suffering... I am not keen on causing more centuries down the line."

Looking to the Sea, Valerie approached the sail, reading it over before pausing. "There is one more term which I would like to add to this arrangement, if you would permit it Madame Sea." She raised a hand and began to run a finger along the sail as if she were writing. Salt encrusted the areas she touched, spelling out in well-practiced cursive calligraphy:

VI) Thee terms to this binding contract shalle be restated and agreed upone by each heir of thee four houses of Porthca upone their ascension to adulthood - de Porthca, Defallian, Accmour and---

Valerie paused in her writing and brought her hand to her chin, looking back to the party with an embarrassed expression. "Erm... apologies, but what was the fourth one named?"

Hearing Valerie call out after she'd added a term, Tyrius looked up. "Tahyrst." called out the currently dragonborn sorcerer, talking over with his book once he'd copied it down so that Valerie could see how to spell it. "Though, since we're adding a term, maybe we should add another representative?" suggested Tyrius, adding on his own page so that it read:

VI) Thee terms to this binding contract shalle be restated and agreed upone by each heir of thee four houses of Porthca upone their ascension to adulthood - de Porthca, Defallian, Accmour and Tahyrst. As well as being witnessed and agreed by a representative from The Church of The Crying God

"Ms Catelyn Pryce could probably make sure that everyone in Porthca, Noble or otherwise was represented that way."
pointed out Tyrius.

Valerie smiled gratefully to the scaled sorcerer as he approached. "Thank you." Reading what he had written, she thought to herself for a long moment before beginning to write once more.

VI) Thee terms to this binding contract shalle be restated and agreed upone by each heir of thee four houses of Porthca upone their ascension to adulthood - de Porthca, Defallian, Accmour and Tahyrst, as well as being witnessed and represented by a representative of thee common folke of Porthca, thee first being Catelyn Pryce.
VII) On the bicentennial anniversary of this date of signing, thee month of Agos, thee sixth (Arerias) day, Year 3736 of thee Okesh Kingdom , this contract is to be reviewed and reaffirmed by these five representatives stated above.

She paused for a moment and glanced over to Virra before adding.

VIII) Upon the event of a breach of the above stated contract, there is to be a thirty (30) day grace period in which the representatives of Porthca may seek to compensate thee Deity thee Sea before She carries out Her judgement.
The warlock finished her writing and wiped her brow, flecks of salt dusting off of her. Taking a step back, she reread the initial contract and quickly amended a few of the earlier points with a brief 'amongst Porthca' before she nodded with satisfaction. "There... Is that to everyone's satisfaction?" She turned and gave the fickle noble behind her a curious look, feeling a little awkward to be negotiating and speaking on the behalf of someone she had only just met.

Night of the Twenty-sixth Day | Porthca | Beach:

Contract Between thee Okesh City of Porthca in thee Sinking Plains and thee Diety Known as thee Sea:

I) None amongst Porthca shalle claim thee Waters of thee Sinking Plains as their domain fore they belong to thee Sea.
II) None amongst Porthca shalle hunt or kill Sirens within thee Sinking Plains or risk thee wrath of their Mother, thee Sea.
III) None amongst Porthca shalle build into thee Waters of thee Sinking Plains.
IV) Those borne within thee Territory of Porthca are promised calm waters and fair winds within thee Sinking Plains.
V) Those born within thee Territory of Porthca are promised protection and guidance by Sirens and Elemental waters, Daughters and Sons of the Sea.
VI) Thee terms to this binding contract shalle be restated and agreed upone by each heir of thee four houses of Porthca upone their ascension to adulthood - de Porthca, Defallian, Accmour and Tahyrst, as well as being witnessed and represented by a representative of thee common folke of Porthca, thee first being Catelyn Pryce.
VII) On the bicentennial anniversary of this date of signing, thee month of Agos, thee sixth (Arerias) day, Year 3736 of thee Okesh Kingdom , this contract is to be reviewed and reaffirmed by these five representatives stated above.

VIII) Upon the event of a breach of the above stated contract, there is to be a thirty (30) day grace period in which the representatives of Porthca may seek to compensate thee Deity thee Sea before She carries out Her judgement.

The Sea studied the new additions to the contract, arms crossed. "Is my Judgement open for me to decide or will it be limited to a Stern Look?" Glancing towards the mortals on the beach she added, "Your lifespans are not promised. Will the contract become null if one of the representatives dies and no one is ready to take their place? You are all akin to children in my eyes, but I still understand the difference between a man and a child."

Managing to pull his foot away from Banrigg's weapon and gain some distance between he and the Dwarf, the Porthcan Noble approached the contract, frowning as he read it, glancing a few times at Cyne. "None of the other families are here to agree to this -- I thought tonight would be merely trading the Pearl to the Sea and going from there: retrieving Cy's body, potentially killing Lestone for the murders he'd brought to Porthca." He fidgeted with his bow, "It doesn't feel right to be making yet another agreement with something that already proved it will look for the smallest thing to find a loophole." Ben gestured to the sail, "The smallest mistake or crack in this and she'll merely be at our throats again -- you all can just pack up and leave, but my family is here and will suffer if this is done, and done incorrectly."

He looked at the others, "Do you realize what this represents? All of you and some living water, deciding things for an entire city? At least the Council is made of those who have a true stake in what happens within Porthca -- there are generations to go back to, tied to this chunk of land along the coast." Pointing towards Catelyn's name, "Why is she included? I enjoy her company, and she has guided me in the past, but why is she held to the same level as the Council? She's a cleric of Ilmater, she's never dealt with the politics here, and what if she doesn't want this burden? Make no mistake I doubt she'll complain, since that's Ilmater's way, but," his expression turned hard, "I know the weight of expectations suddenly dumped on someone, and the disappointment when you don't match up."

Banrigg sighed, shaking his head at Ben's speech. "Lad ... ya don't get it, do ya? Far as I know, none'a these people live here, an' yet they're workin' hard t'try and give Porthca th' best shot it can get in this deal. Honestly, this might be th' best shot ya get at anythin' reasonable." The dwarf shrugged, "Maybe they ain't the best fer the job, but they even gave future people a chance t'correct their mistakes with time an' trials fer reference. Instead'a whinin' an' moanin', they're tryin' to do th' best they can in an unusual situation. Also," he scratched his beard, "From what I understand, yer not th' only one hopin' to get some peace o'mind outta this," Banrigg looked at Valerie then Lestone for a moment.

Benito followed Banrigg's gaze, glowering at Lestone, "I expect we won't even be allowed to hold him accountable for the deaths he created, will we. Protected against retribution from those who suffered due to him and it," he glared at the Sea who paid him no mind. "The sleepless nights, of fear and anxiety, who would be next, what if one morning a whole House was dead?"

The Sea touched a few areas on the sail where salt had built up, replacing it with burned text instead. Not looking at Ben she commented, "As I said: I understand the difference between a man and a child. Your outrage interests me not, Benito Encogerse De'Porthca. You are one among many, even for your self-convinced importance. I already know there to be more level heads within your house, take your dead and inform the other Houses if they truly cared how things will be, they shall prepare for the day in fifty years."

Eliza felt stung by Ben's words, "Do you understand what we went through for this pearl. You think any of us went because we liked camping in the mud outside? What would you even do to the undead Lestone, Benito? Kill him harder? This deals frees up Lestone from the control of the Sea and when she finally lets go, that means Lestone's soul is finally free to move on. He won't bother you again."

Eliza took a deep breath trying to calm himself before turning on the Sea, "You had one issue. You didn't like that they were building in your territory and what did you do? You killed four people. It took us the longest time to even figure out what in the fresh hell was happening. What use are twists and riddles to help us figure out what you want? Did the killings fix the warehouse issue in the meantime? Hmm? So how about next time you find something you don't like, you send one of your shiny, new sirens to meet the council and communicate your issues. I am sure you will find their solutions most swift and satisfactory."

She rubbed her aching temples cursing the Sea, Ben, the Pearl, and her thrice damned identify peal that was the cause of her ever meeting Ben in the first place. She took several deep breaths and seriously tried calming herself before speaking again, "As for your other concern, I am sure the council will come up with a suitable solution. Maybe they could function temporarily as four members till another heir is found."

Tyrius felt his brain starting to boil as Benito started to rant, though even so Tyrius could concede that Benito had a point, however small. He tried to keep from lashing out at Benito, though eventually he did feel as if he should try to calm things down a little.

"Some living water," echoed Tyrius dryly once Banrigg had tried to talk some sense into him. "Benito - look how much power The Sea has. Right now she has according to her, because sadly I do not have that great eyesight in the dark, a small army of her bretheren. One of whom you saw practically speed into the tide on your behalf. We don't even know if Clingy can come back - that might have been a suicide run Benito, that Clingy did for you. She could easily destroy us - even if Valerie's patron is able to match her do you expect everyone here on the beach to make it through the crossfire?" Tyrius fixed Benito with a stare, though he kept his expression as neutral as possible, "Yet I've not seen a single raised non magical weapon tonight. Not one. A lot of words, some of them angry, and a display of magic but no physical force. Heck, this new agreement - Porthca stands a good chance to thrive even more than it currently does."

Tyrius lowered his head a little, "I know that will not bring Cyne back, nor any of the others. And yes, the sleepless nights will still have their toll. But this is a chance few people ever have Benito. You're getting a good deal - a deity protecting an entire town in exchange for offerings. As Banrigg said, this isn't a one off all or nothing thing - Eliza, Valerie, Virra, they've all done the best they can to make sure that all we're doing is laying groundwork. Trying to prevent a reoccurance of the deaths of nobles in a town which, aside from myself and Ander, like you said - could just pack up and leave. Toss the pearl to the sea, wave you bye and wander off on their merry way. But they're doing the best they can, having risked their lives to get that pearl here." Tyrius looked to Benito and gave his friend a small smile, "Benito, please, I'm not claiming we're perfect. I'm not claiming you should just swallow your feelings, I'm just asking you to see a good opportunity for your town to grow when it is presented - one you can personally be responsible for."

Tyrius smiled to Benito, "What do you say, we get this contract ironed out, then we lay Cyne to rest where he belongs and make a fresh start with some hope for Porthca that it hasn't had for months?"

Virra hadn't expected Ty to bring up Clingy again, and it killed the smile she'd been given while listening to him, Eliza and Banrigg verbally pummel Ben. She glanced back to the shoreline, but of course he wasn't there. Why would he be? He would be off making up for lost time, like she thought. But maybe there was a way to check.

Business first. "Listen to the pyromaniac, Ben. We had a lot of time to think about this stuff in between our grand adventures." The mystic stepped a little closer to the sail and made a show of rubbing her chin thoughtfully. "Eliza's right about communication, though. Actually, shoot it up there as part of rule eight," she said, stepping closer to the sail and pointing at the line in question. "'There is to be a thirty day grace period in which the representatives of Porthca may seek to compensate thee Deity thee Sea before She carries out Her judgement, commencing after said representatives are notified of the nature of the breach,'" she dictated, all while managing to keep her squeaky-voiced solicitor impression relatively mild.

She used the levity to mask her concentration when she turned to the Sea and, bravely, tried to set up a telepathic link with her. "That water elemental who went to call you. It's okay?" she asked, unsure what exactly she'd do if she said "no".

The words Virra offered became burned onto the sail as she opened the telepathic connection. A surge of intensity washed over the small gnome, almost mentally knocking her off her feet, hearing the constant crash of waves and moaning of wind, whistling across the waters and colliding with land. Virra managed to hold her own, however, perhaps thanks to practice with the group, or perhaps thanks to practice with a fellow Mystic. The Sea turned to study Virra with faint interest, replying with a roaring mental voice that was less words and more intent: "Yes."

Benito looked between Tyrius and Eliza, stepping back slightly but still not keen on the situation. "If it were me in Lestone's position, I doubt I would be getting off so easily. I do not view this as justice for Cyne's death, and I doubt the other families will either. But no -- make your deals, I only hope I'm alive long enough to fix things later since it seems my thoughts and concerns are not worth an audience because of your own struggles and concerns." The noble pointed at the waves, "That 'Clingy' or whatever -- you're far too attached to it. Suicide run? It was a blob of water that returned to water, and I doubt it did it on my behalf since I haven't suffered as you all have."

He crossed his arms, "All I want at this point is to collect Cy's body and deliver him to the Temple so he can be finally put to rest. Properly, without any new shit happening."

“Ben, dear. what would you have us do to Lestone? Imprison him? Execute him? What would help you avenge his murders?” Eliza asked cooly. “What would you like to change about the contract?”

Valerie had stayed silent during Lord Benito’s previous objections, but as he for the third time chose to put the blame of the situation on Lestone, she turned to him with a hint of disbelief on her face. “Pardon me if I am overstepping, Lord Benito, but I am afraid that I cannot possibly understand your grievances with Lestone. Everything that has been seen and heard tonight clearly indicates that the poor man is little more than a plaything for the Sea, a man enslaved for the good that he tried to do for your ancestors and the city of Porthca. Are you truly so blinded by hatred to see this? Or perhaps it is merely the ways of this city are escaping me... I am afraid I have difficulty relating to the mindset of one that would blame the slave rather than their captor, but perhaps you and your ancestors are more alike than I would prefer to believe, My Lord. In that event, I must confess I fear for this city.” Valerie stared coolly at the noble. no longer caring about how he would take it. Her Grandfather always taught her that it was foolish to make enemies in positions of power, but this sad upstart of a noble was more than she could take. If he demanded her thrown from this godsforsaken city, so be it. Even the name Porthca was beginning to turn her stomach.

Magnolia stood there as a entity known as "the sea" made its demands. This was her first time in this town and the first time she had met a demi-goddess. That's what it was afterall, the creature was no true god. If these people were content to strike bargains with it, that was their buisness...

So she waited and paid attention to what was happening before her, the entire process of negotiations keeping her on edge. From what she had heard the sea murdered children, and the people who lived here had a questionable past. The one known as Ben seemed to make an ass of himself and refused to acknowledge his families part in the being they helped to create...

She missed the forest, when everything had been so simple and it was just a game. Now her past caught up with her with the appearance of the manacles, was it a sign from another power? Was it finally time to return home?

Her thoughts lingered there; talks continued, and she stood ready if she was needed.

Virra reeled. The force of the Sea's mental presence alone was enough to make her take a step backwards, but at least she managed not to be knocked to the ground. She gritted her teeth and held the watery woman's gaze until she heard what she needed. She held the mental link for a moment longer out of bloody-minded pride, then shut it off and began to rub her temples. "Clingy's okay, guys," she said once she'd caught her breath. But of course he was, really. It should have been obvious. Not that Virra had worried, anyway.

Thankfully, she'd missed whatever Ben had said to make Eliza and Valerie angry, but she got the gist of it from how they responded. "None of that matters anyway. Lestone's gonna be free when this deal goes through, right? And this contract should work fine until it's time to re-negotiate." She looked between the group -- mostly Ty, Eliza and Val, given that Banrigg had been placating Ben and Ander and Mags were pretty quiet -- and folded her arms. "Are we ready to hand the Pearl over?"

Hearing Benito's latest argument, Tyrius decided to keep on writing, once he was done copying the contract and its revisions down, Tyrius started trying to describe The Sea herself. At the news that Clingy was okay, Tyrius gave Virra a broad smile. He knew she'd been the one caring for him for the trip back and was glad that Clingy was okay.

At Virra's urging, Tyrius nodded his head, "I'm ready," said the red scaled sorcerer, his tail twitching slightly on the sand of the beach. Waiting for the ink to dry, Tyrius closed up the book, figuring he'd write more about their encounter later on. He didn't know if he'd ever meet someone with as much power as The Sea had again, and didn't want to spend the entire time with his nose in a book.

Benito shrugged angrily at Eliza, "I don't know -- alright? Just my family is not the only one that suffered at his hands, and I still don't fully trust he doesn't have a will of his own." The noble turned to Valerie, "I'm not blinded by hate, I'm concerned you all seem to be taking whatever the Sea says at face value!" He glared at her final comments, "And it would do you well not to make such assumptions, especially if you hope to enjoy my family's hospitality going forward."

Pacing the beach he grumbled, "Do whatever you want, it's not your home ..."

The Sea gave one last look over the Contract:

Contract Between thee Okesh City of Porthca in thee Sinking Plains and thee Diety Known as thee Sea:

I) None amongst Porthca shalle claim thee Waters of thee Sinking Plains as their domain fore they belong to thee Sea.
II) None amongst Porthca shalle hunt or kill Sirens within thee Sinking Plains or risk thee wrath of their Mother, thee Sea.
III) None amongst Porthca shalle build into thee Waters of thee Sinking Plains.
IV) Those borne within thee Territory of Porthca are promised calm waters and fair winds within thee Sinking Plains.
V) Those born within thee Territory of Porthca are promised protection and guidance by Sirens and Elemental waters, Daughters and Sons of the Sea.

VIII) Upon thee event of a breach of thee above stated contract, there is to be a thirty day grace period in which thee representatives of Porthca may seek to compensate thee Deity thee Sea before She carries out Her judgement, commencing after said representatives are notified of the nature of thee breach.

With a nod she reached towards the sail, placing a hand upon the fabric as it began to stiffen and freeze. With her other hand she held it out towards the scruffy looking Paladin, eyes fixed on him as she spoke one word: "Pearl." Off to the side, Lestone stumbled forward again through the sand, essentially crossing to the party's side of the beach towards Benito, offering the corpse of Cyne for him to take. Ben studied Lestone for a long moment before taking his brother's body, and with a free arm punched Lestone in the face. The runed-man slowly turned to face Benito with a dull stare before moving to step next to Valerie as Ander retrieved the pearl and placed it in the aquatic woman's hand.

The Sea sighed as she held the object, Virra and Magnolia recognizing it to be a sigh of relief. Off in the waters the Sirens sang a small tune of victory before diving back under the waters, and the Sea walked into the waves, returning to her larger form -- the giant sail now more akin to a scroll in her hands, the pearl growing in size as well to be nearly the size of the humans on the beach. "It has been a long time since this was returned to me ... my daughters were few, dying from age, accident, or from hunters. Now my family can grow once more." The sail curled up in her hand and she pointed it towards Lestone who began to groan, arms wrapped around his chest in pain. Valerie felt the ring begin to push through again, but instead of fighting it, allowed it to overtake her, though it was weaker this time. A strange sensation, moving without controlling the actions, a passenger in her own body as she felt herself reach out to the man in a gentle manner, even as he collapsed, muttering soothing words and concern in Primordial -- the affects of the sea fading and dropping away from him -- leaving a dark skinned man, black hair with a strange pearlescence to it in the faint lights around the shoreline, and pale blue runes across his body becoming brighter, almost like bioluminescence in the night.

His clothes were still torn and ragged as he began to cough up seawater onto the sand, his breathing rough and difficult while "Valerie" continued to try and aid him. Eventually seeming to be finished, the Sea nodded. "Lestone: your prior contract has been made null by the terms of a new trade. You are returned to the Land, and no longer of my Domain." She looked across the beach at the group, a faint smirk on her face, "An interesting group," was all she had to offer as she stood to her full height of fifteen feet then fell backwards into the water, her form melding into the waves as if she'd never been there at all.

Sea-green eyes looked up at Valerie as Lestone studied her face, looking somewhat unsure and confused, speaking finally, a voice that sounds rough and ragged at the moment: "You're ... my Mother surrounds you, but you're not ..."

"Valerie" reached towards his face, cradling it in her handss, "It's been a long time, Lestone ... unfortunate things happened, and I have done too much today. I am weak and bound to a trinket, but," she brought her forehead towards him, touching for a moment, "I am glad a Child of mine is no longer bound..." Eventually she pulled away, standing and offering a hand to the man who took it, standing shakily and leaning on the smaller woman. Salt covered his form before disappearing into the air, cleaning up the remnants of sea-life that had claimed him for so long. Turning to face the rest of the party, "Valerie" bowed her head, the salt from her ring slowly working up her arm, "You have my gratitude, immensely, for freeing my Son. I apologize for my actions here, and the troubles I have caused for young Valerie Rhitegast of Emberhollow ... I was afraid you would merely hand over the Pearl and allow the Sea to claim as she liked ..." The woman stumbled for a moment, relying on Lestone to hold her upright until she shook her head, "I am too weak to speak much more ... but know I am an ally and will continue to aid young Valerie where I can."

The ring released its possession of Valerie, leaving her standing with Lestone on her shoulder, looking sadly at her before turning away and speaking to the group, "I expect many have questions ... I will try to answer, but I need rest ..." He glanced towards Ben before he lowered his gaze, "... and preferably somewhere I did not leave my mark."

Holding Cyne's body, Ben growled, "He will not stay in my home. He can sleep in a cell for all I care." Adjusting his hold on Cyne's body he looked down at it for a moment, "I ... need to take my brother to the Temple of Kelemvor ... hopefully he can be properly put to rest this time." He looked at the others, lingering on Eliza and Tyrius for a moment, "Follow me or don't, you'll know where to find me ultimately."

Eliza spared a longing glance at the group before waving goodbye to them. “I will meet you tomorrow at the Accmours at midday, alright?” She messaged Tyrius tried to catch up with Ben walking with great difficulty on the sand.

She followed the young lord in silence, as he carried his brother to his final resting place, only pausing outside the temple to cast prestidigitation on the damp, and disheveled trio.

Valerie held Lord Benito’s glare with her own. “And it would do you well to learn to learn to think of someone other than yourself and your troubles, my Lord. Please have your servants deliver my belongings to the Tuckered Kraken, I expect my stay may be more pleasant.” The young warlock had little patience left for the haughty man. Master of Bows... Master of Woes would be far more accurate.

She watched with surprise and a feeling of pride as the Sea accepted her contract, and upon watching the deal be carried out, she felt the ring begin to push at her. Valerie paused for a moment, but ultimately allowed herself to be overtaken by the spirit for a last time.

The sensation of being possessed by the Tempest was odd but not painful when Valerie willingly submitted to it. A few minutes later, she found herself returning to her senses with a large, rune covered man standing over her. She leapt slightly, having not expected Lestone to remain after she had freed him. Brushing salt from her arm, she looked up at the former water zombie with a look of confusion and slight embarrassment. “Apologies, I had not expected... you can accompany me, there is an inn not far away. And yes... I have a great deal of questions.”

Looking to the group after The Sea was gone and Lestone was still breathing, Tyrius packed up his diary and pen into his bag. "I'm going to try and find the Church of the Crying God," said Tyrius, "Figure Cate should be told sooner rather than later." Though Tyrius hoped their meeting ran into the early hours - so he'd have an excuse to sleep in the temple and not try and find a room in the inn or go to the manor, where he doubted Ben would want him for the moment.

'That sounds reasonable,' said Tyrius as reply to Eliza's message, 'Take care Eliza.'

Looking to Lestone, Tyrius walked over to Valerie and Lestone, "Need a hand going to the Kraken?" asked Tyrius, "I'll probably need to ask in there for directions anyway."

Looking over to Tyrius and then the large man next to her, Valerie blushed slightly before nodding. “Yes... Lestone seems rather weary, and I am not particularly well suited to assist him. Would you mind...” Valerie was not sure how to finish that sentence. Helping the ancient son of the powerful entity that resides within my ring? Gods, I sound insane... She opted to finish with, “Giving me a hand?”

Well... that was that. Job done. Mystery solved.

Virra looked out to sea, but she didn't have time to get her thoughts in order. First not-Val was talking, then Ben, and suddenly they were all off deciding where to spend the night. Now that it came to it, Virra supposed she could use a little rest. Strange how spending a few days sitting in a cart with her own private thoughts could be so draining...

She caught Eliza's wave and returned it, though her expression spoke volumes about how she felt, seeing the half-orc head for the De'Porthca manor alongside Ben. "I'll help too," she said, coming up on the other side of Lestone in case he needed a waist-high support to lean on. "I was gonna visit Cate anyway."

Night of the Twenty-sixth Day | Porthca | Tuckered Kraken Tavern:

Ander helped carry Lestone's weight as the group headed towards the tavern, Banrigg offering aid as well where he could before the group split with Tyrius and Virra moving towards the temple of Ilmater. The strange man said little on the route, keeping to himself and keeping his gaze downwards. Entering into the tavern felt like entering into another world, the classic smells of a tavern so close to the harbor, a few people sleeping in their seats, bottles tipped before them and snores wafting through the air. Some of the bunch recognize Braen -- the owner who apparently never sleeps and his eyes widen at the interesting mix of people. As they paused at the counter he smirked, "Guessin' ya need rooms, yeah? Three rooms can be yers for, let's say ... two gold, 'fer the lotta'ya." Assuming the fee was dealt with he offered two keys and the group moved towards the rooms, Ander and Magnolia offering to share a room while Valerie and Lestone ended up with a shared room as well, Banrigg covering his own. Helping to deposit the prior-terror upon a crude bed, Ander and Magnolia watched him with uncertainty.

Lestone adjusted himself, seeing the stares, and raised a hand, "I promise ... I will not hurt her. If anything, I look forward to a true night's rest, even if this bed is not much softer than the floor. I will answer questions, but I just ... I'm so tired ..." while speaking, he began to drift off to sleep, a strange sight considering not long ago he seemed the personification of the Sea's will upon Porthca.

Eventually deciding to turn in themselves as well, the other two moved to their respective room, Banrigg having gotten his own.

Night of the Twenty-sixth Day | Porthca | Church of the Crying God:

The streets are so baren at this point of the night, only a few late arriving sailors or those wandering from the taverns are company for the sorcerer and gnome woman as they walk through Porthca, attempting to find themselves back at the temple of Ilmater where a familiar face is hopefully waiting.

Arriving they knock on the simple door, unsure if any would even be awake, and find it opened slightly by one of the young male acolytes they saw last time they had been there, so long ago. He looks confused at such a late night's visit, evidently appearing to have been asleep himself as he looks to be wearing bedclothes instead of formal vestments, but invites the pair inside, vaguely recognizing them. Guiding them towards a crude table to sit at, he offered to rouse Cate to speak to them, the cleric eventually arriving, looking barely put together from being woken so late at night. As the pair started to explain the situation the cleric blinked a few times, "That ... explains the strange dream I was having." Rubbing her face she continued, "I think this might be a better conversation to have in the morning, unfortunately you're asking a lot for me to understand this late at night. You're both free to stay here for the night if you like, we have spare beds. I warn it'll be noisy in a few hours for those we offer meals to."

Helping the pair become situated for the night, the church returned to quiet.

Night of the Twenty-sixth Day | Porthca | Temple of Kelemvor:

Ben nodded thankfully to Eliza as she followed him, their footsteps echoing on the empty street, the only ones awake at this hour the few guards that caught sight of the noble and whispered to themselves, recieving only a glare from the man, almost appearing like a spirit between his small lamp, the body he carried, and the bow across his back. Eliza could see the circles under his eyes as he walked towards the temple where they'd all gathered almost a month ago at this point. While the half-orc followed, Ben spoke to the night air, "I ... know my actions displeased you and the others, Lizy. At the same time I don't apologize for them, there's so much on my plate now, and now I need to explain the contract to all the other families ..." he sighed. "This at least I can manage tonight. Some proof that at least something is in my control."

Feeling the magic move across him and Cyne he gave Eliza another nod before leaning into the temple doors, only lit by the flickering candles that lined the inside of the stone temple, the large skeletal scale at the back continuously shifting back and forth. Only a few acolytes were awake at this time, and calling them awake was far more than they deserved, jerking up out of the pews they had been napping in from the sound of the door and footsteps on the stone flooring. They looked confused at the noble and what he carried, one of the young boys was red-haired and rubbed his eyes before blinking, "... Lord De'Porthca?"

Benito studied him for a moment, "You're the one who went down into the crypts with me, right? Acolyte ... Aman?"

Bowing, the acolyte fixed his robes, glancing towards Eliza, "Er, Acolyte Amadeus, Lord De'Porthca. Is this ...?"

Nodding, Ben continued to step forward approaching the altar and placing Cyne upon it, straightening his brother's clothes and his position to be at rest. "Yes, hopefully this time it will be done properly." He looked at the young acolyte, the other one yawning in their pew, watching the scene, "Get Rewalt, we're doing the ceremony now before I go to rest tonight." Glancing over his shoulder at Eliza he added, "... Sorry Lizzy, just a little longer, then we can head back to the Manor and put this day behind us."

Amadeus bowed and nodded, muttering a, "Yes, Lord De'Porthca," running off towards the inner areas of the temple, his fellow acolyte returning to sprawl across the pew, seeing someone was dealing with the strangers.

Continuing to fidget with Cyne's body, Ben's expression was tired as he reached towards his own collar and pulled of the De'Porthca pin he wore, placing it on the chest of his brother. Eventually more footsteps approached, the rustling of thick fabrics as Rewalt approached, followed by Amadeus carrying a small tray of powdered silver. Rewalt bowed towards Benito, "Greetings ... I did not expect such a late visit, but I can see this to be an emergency of a sort." Catching sight of Eliza he nodded towards her but returned to the scene before him.

"I ... I worry he's affected by being held by that creature for so long. I can't stand the idea of Cyne still suffering in such a way." He looked down at the body, "We ... were maybe never the best brothers, but at the least I hope I can do this for him."

Reaching towards the silver dust offered by the acolyte, Rewalt nodded, "Understandable. I will perform a small ceremony that shall prevent that until we can once more begin the proper steps for his rest. I assume you will inform your family for anything further and how you wish to ... proceed I suppose," the cleric attempted to hide a yawn as he reached for his holy symbol, holding a handful of silver powder. Beginning the spell, Ben stood watching intently as the cleric went through the process, eventually throwing the silver across the body as it settled across Cyne's form. Rewalt motioned to Amadeus and the other acolyte to move the body, "We will store him safely for now." Placing a hand on Ben's shoulder the cleric gave the young man a friendly smile, "Rest, Lord Benito. Return to your family this night, I expect you'll need your energy more than ever."

Placing a hand on Rewalt's, Ben nodded, "... more than you realize, Rewalt." Motioning for Eliza to follow, Ben made his way back to the De'Porthca Manor, silently walking ahead of the half-orc, a few times forgetting to slow to keep pace with her. Arriving to the Manor he instructed a servant to arrange transport for Valerie's items to the Tuckered Kraken before turning to Eliza and adding, "Whatever she asks for, do so. Apologies Lizzy, I ... I am barely standing. I will see you in the morning." Giving a curt bow, he disappeared up the steps as the servant listened to anything Eliza asked, helping the half-orc situate herself for the night.

And so ends Porthca Landing II: Lost & Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread