Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eliza felt a sudden stab of longing as one of the flying books narrowly clipped her on the head. Hadn’t she spent endless nights in libraries just like this back at Azarad.

The promise of a new spell went a long way in cheering her up. “Thank you Lord Benito, it will take me some time to copy this so good luck with the elemental search.”

She carried her new supplies and scroll reverently to the nearest and set down to copying it down in her spell book. It was tedious work but she relished every second of it. Hours seemed to pass by in a haze, everything else becaqme white noise as she focused all her being, her magic, into carefully drawing out every rune and marking.

The last thing she wanted was to ruin 25 gold worth of trust in her abilities. Not when she was finally being of some use to anybody.

Checking over every step in her work, she looked up at the others beaming, “All done!”.

"Well, my friend, we were asked ta find out anything y'all might have on the undead, and ways to break their bonds." Ander hated even saying those words, but he trusted Cate, and he respected Ben enough to do his best. "We've got an issue with a monster that appears to be bein' controlled, and we're hopin' for knowledge of how ta free it. I, personally, think we should just end it's tormented existance, but my friends want to see if theres a differn't way." The large man fidgeted a bit, still feeling quite naked outside of his armor.

Aedon House:

Ormeth had started to wander off for the books when she heard Virra, "Ah -- uhm. Well, if you look over there," she pointed to a section of shelving that seemed covered in magma, coral, small spinners and stonework, "those are the books on elementals. I warn, the books are each a little effected by their relevant element, so ... if you need one for fire elementals, ask an Accmour for heat-resistant gloves. The rest are mostly fine, just messy."

Reaching towards her belt she opened a small case and reached in, digging around for a moment until she pulled out a thick scroll, "Unfortunately I've only got one copy with me -- there's another in the library somewhere -- and I don't know how to make easy copies." She held it out for Ben, "But, I mean -- you're still free to read it of course. Always interested in what another scholar thinks, you know?"

Defallion Carriage:

There was silence within the carriage for a few minutes as the group pondered, before finally stopping as the door opened, depositing them at the manor. The small awakend shrub was there to greet them as each Defallian gave it a small pat on the "head" in passing, though Kecei knelt down and gave it a hug, the strange root-like arms returning the hug.

Rich rubbed his eyes again as he entered the manor, "I'm not one for the magic and book stuff, far more a hands-on kinda guy. Either give me a tool or give me a sword. If we're gonna be dealing with this in a few hours, I'm gonna try and get some sleep so I'm not snoozing on the beach when everything likely goes sideways." He waved to the others as he climbed the stairs, a servant speaking with him as he went.

Tapping his boot on the floor, Odith stood crossing his arms, "Meanwhile I'm a father who's got two kids ready to do all this and I've got nothin' much to offer besides hope and prayers." He sighed while Kecei came up beside him with Froot holding one of her hands.

"I think things will work out, da." Kecei smiled up at him, "I met the people Lord Benito has with him, I've got confidence in them. If nothing else, maybe we can mix some potions for them to take along? Defallians are always better at making things than anything else, and that way we can still help."

Malia meanwhile had been pacing near the door, "I think ... I think maybe the favor would work better. But we'll definitely need to figure out what they like or what. We've got some books here, hopefully the group that went to Accmour can figure out something as well..."

Temple of Deneir:

Finasaer's tail flicked for a few moments as he considered, "An interesting topic, yes. Undead and broken bonds? Typically one kills the master and the claim is released." He tapped his chin as he thought, "Yet you mention freeing ... so I expect merely a more final death by release is not entirely what you're after."

Spreading his hands wide he continued, "Please, the more I know of this ... 'monster', the better I can help. What is known? What has been tried?"

Following out of the carriage, Tyrius smiled at the way each Defallian patted Froot on the head and Lady Kecei hugged the small shrub.

Waving to Rich as Rich retired for some rest, Tyrius listened to Odith, Kecei and Malia, watching Froot most of the time, 'That shrub is very intriguing, wonder how old it is?' wondered the sorcerer.

"I can help with the books," volunteered Tyrius at the mention of reading up on elementals, more than eager to see what he could learn from whatever Lady Malia passed his way.

"Well, I punched it in the face with radiant magic flowing through me, and it wasn't thrilled about it..." Ander quickly announced, but then he blushed, realising what the tiefling was really asking. "Oh, right, umm, Sister Cate here may know better, she has seen some visions that involve this creature."

Virra took off for the relevant section the moment it was pointed out to her. The books that were there...

She gasped. "Hey, Ben, Eliza, come and look at these!" She'd found the books on fire elementals with their magma-patterned binding, and started to warm her hands in front of the shelf. Then she spotted the ones with the whirring spinners and ran over for a closer look, nudging at them with the back of her gloved hand and laughing. "Do you guys read books like this every day? And these ones..."

She'd found a whole row of heavy books that looked like they'd been thrown in a rockpool. They were flaky and sodden, squelching on the bookcase when she prodded them. "Hm. Found 'em," she called out unnecessarily before picking out the two with titles she could just about make out, flinching as they slopped salt water over her feet. "Wish we could contact the sea with a fire elemental," she muttered. Books in hand, the gnome made her way to a table near Eliza and took a seat, spreading the waterlogged tome on water elemental behaviour in front of her. The other, on their history and makeup, she set to one side in case Ben finished with the Geas thesis and felt like reading something else. She hoped he would; this kind of investigation wasn't what her prodigious mind was meant for.

Virra crossed her legs, sighed, and turned to the first page.

Catelyn glanced around the room briefly before turning back to Finasaer and Ander. “Well... unfortunately I do not know anything as concrete as it’s weakness to divine power, but I will tell you everything that I do know. We believe that this creature is the spirit of a man named Lestone who was sent by the four noble families to bargain with the sea herself on their behalf. Evidently, the families did not maintain their side of the bargain, and so the sea is using Lestone to exact vengeance on those she sees as guilty.” She paused and looked down to her cord wrapped around her hand. “Normally I would agree that destroying the undead creature is our only choice, but I believe that there is still some of the man in there. I have been having nightmares of drowning for some time now, but last night Lestone visited me, likely of his own volition, and I could see the pain in his eyes. I am not as well learned as many other priests in terms of the study of the undead, but are they not typically under complete subjugation? I have little hope that we would be able to restore Lestone back to life, but I believe that if we could even momentarily sever the bonds of control around him, he would aid us.”

Temple of Deneir:

Finasaer looked toward Ander with a raised eyebrow, "You ... punched it?" The tiefling laughed for a moment, "Ah ... apologies, just that was a very amusing mental image." Collecting himself he then listened to Cate and her explanation, slowly pacing as she spoke. Nodding, he replied, "Yes ... of my readings, most typically, undead have no will of their own, only an extension of their master's. Often favored for the fact they cannot turn against their master either." Finasaer closed his fist, "A true and complete control over the body, and whatever wisp of magic animates it."

Opening his hand again he continued, "However, this Lestone may be on the boundary of living and dead in this case. Reactive to divine power, yet still with some level of self-will, however little. I do wonder if you break the ties, will they die -- if the bond is what keeps them ... 'living' for lack of a better word." He continued pacing, the tail behind him swaying back and forth, as if mimicking the tempo of his thinking. Pausing briefly he glanced at Cate, "You must be very empathetic, to see pain within such a creature, and be so confident in what you saw. Rarely do people bother in thinking how such a creature might feel," he gestured to Ander with a smirk, "most I believe prefer to punch first, yes?"

Turning to face the pair, "Do you have an idea how this Lestone was bargained with prior? Depending on the method, perhaps it can be manipulated now?" Grinning widely, he bowed, "As a priest of Deneir I am often asked to aid with the writing of contracts and such, given how many perhaps can read but not write -- even being unable to read, many recognize the weight of a signed deal." Tapping his nose he added, "At times the original contract is not to the pleasure of either party later on, adjustments to be made and so on. Has this been considered?"

Ander looks embarrassed for a moment and under his breath he mutters, "It was killin' a kid at the time..." He listened and tried to understand what Finasaer was saying about contracts. Ander hadn't really experienced anything like that, the bonds he had formed were rarely so formal or strict. Ben would be the one to ask about the details of the original contract, but Ander wasn't sure if trying to drag the scholar along with them to figure out a small tidbit of info.

"Ben was saying something about a warehouse or somethin' that there was some dispute about, I've only been hearin' bits and pieces of what happened all those years ago. I fear I may not be quite as helpful to,an investigation as I had first hoped." He slumped down, slightly deflated as he wracked his brain for anything else he could add.

Winston fiddled with the hem of his cloak in the silence of the carriage ride, trying to further this idea he had come up with but without any success. He hopped out of the carriage gracefully once they arrived at the manor, and gave it a long look. Yet another mansion to get lost in, with so many riches...but no, he wasn’t thinking like that anymore. The halfling was quickly distracted by the plant that moved in response to those passing by, and audibly gasped once Kecei hugged it and it hugged back. “My gods, what is that?! Is that a living plant?” Winston knelt down beside it to get a closer look. “How unnatural and...fascinating this is.” He looked to the others with the obvious wonderment on his face as they all decided on their next course of action.

His initial thought was to follow Rich for that nap, as he had not slept well the night before, but Winston knew that he could be of more use to his newfound allies if he tried to help. When tyrius volunteered to help with the research, Winston also piped up “I’d like to help as well, if that’s alright.”

Minutes into hours, hours into days. After the first few minutes of interested studying, Virra found herself swiftly losing patience with the book she'd picked out and the precious time it took to glean useful information from it. Even the subject didn't help; if anything, learning about a topic as exciting as water elementals made her want to run out of the room and get Malia to summon one, not go on reading about exactly how much sodium its body was going to contain.

Still, she kept up the effort for as long as she could, mostly for the sake of not abandoning Eliza halfway through the job. Well, Eliza struck her as one of those people who'd enjoy reading alone, but then Virra wouldn't have anyone to talk to. Sighing, she sat back from the table and pushed the book away. "All right, I think I got the important parts," she said, laying her hands in her lap. "It'll like ships. It won't like freezing, or fire. Other stuff." She glanced over in Benito's direction, noticing the Geas thesis still in his hand. Diligent guy.

"Hey, Ben, find anything interesting...?"

Last edited:
Ben took the thesis from Ormeth with a smile and a nod. "I'm afraid I'm not much of a scholar, the little magic I can do pales in comparison to even the most untrained of wizards." He sat and quietly read the entire document over. Occasionally he'd nod his head or ask for small clarifications here and there. The most interesting one was Ormeth's additional explanation, "If someone is effected by the Geas spell, they can potentially take the punishment in order to regain their will for the day. However, Geas is sort of a spell many casters are undecided on, considering it's essentially magical slavery, and similar to what many monsters or creatures use to create thralls and servants. When it comes to removing it, there are a few spells that can counter it -- since it's considered a magical curse -- or one can attempt to wait it out and see how long it lasts."

He finished the document and sat silently for a moment as Virra's voice rang through his mind. "Oh... uh... yeah, some stuff, but I feel like there's more to understand. I've got a few questions for Ormeth, but I could use a break. I really want to take a good look at that bow, and I'd rather be chatting with you and Lizy. Perhaps there will be time when this is all over." A heavy, somewhat defeated sigh finished the mental message before he turned to Ormeth, "I noticed in your thesis that a command resulting in 'certain death' would break the spell. I don't believe that my friends and I are capable of breaking a Geas with a spell, but I'm wondering if there isn't some way to break the spell through violence or a carefully crafted threat. There are plenty of us; Virra, Lizy, Ty, Cate, Ander, Winston and myself. We're all skilled in our own ways and resourceful, capable of ending the creature if need be. Could a show of strength followed by a threat of death or the threat of its master's wrath break the spell?"

Aedon House | Library:

Ormeth leaned back in her seat as she thought, "That part of the spell is fairly contested ... I'll admit, while working on my thesis, I had a few volunteers to help me test theories, and it seemed like in order for a command to be considered 'certain death', the 'master' had to know it would lead to death, and the 'servant' had to understand it as well. A mutual understanding of ... in a strange way, trust being broken, if that makes sense? Yes, Geas is often used to enforce control, however that also means placing your life in someone else's hands." She laughed lightly, moving the hair back out of her face again, "Some of these spells are very strange in their function, or have interesting implications once you study them and consider them from an academic standpoint, or philosophically."

Fixing her sleeves she was silent for a moment, "I suppose ... it's a gamble, but I suppose if you forced a scenario where the Master knows they're risking their Servant, and the Servant is given an order they know will lead to their assured death ... you could perhaps break the spell." Ormeth gestured a few tables away to where a half-finished game of dragonchess was sitting, occasionally a worker would come and move a piece before going back to their tasks -- a slow game of chess that progressed during their work. "Could think of it similar to chess, need to ... somehow trap the opponent without them fully realizing."

Defallion Manor:

At Winston's reaction to Froot, Lady Kecei giggled, "Yes, Froot is considered living -- as are all plants, but I expect you mean that in a different way. Froot was magically animated, and he helps Da out in the gardens, carrying tools or holding things." She glanced up towards her father, "It seems like the others will be reading, should we start making potions then?" Odith nodded as the pair, followed by Froot, moved off to a room off to the side of the first floor.

Malia paused in her pacing as Tyrius and Winston spoke, "You two are willing to help with some book work? Alright ... if you don't mind some heavy reading then." Motioning for the pair to follow her, she led them back to the study that Ben and Tyrius had entered before -- plants were still strewn about, however the stack of books on the desk seemed more focused on a single topic: elementals.

Pulling the stack apart, Malia gestured for the pair to look them over, offering a small step for Winston given his height and the height of the desk. "Alright, while we don't have the library of the Accmours, they've still found a few books for me that at least are safe for non-magical people to have. Unfortunately none are entirely specific to water elementals ... but I have one that mentions elementals that have appeared at various points in Okesh's history, one about druidic rituals, one speaks on elementals as a whole. Are there any that catch your eye as something to look at specifically? I can ... potentially try to search the shelves again?"

"I'm sure these will be fine," Tyrius said to Lady Malia with a small smile as he pulled one of the books towards him. Spending fifteen minutes skimming through it, the most Tyrius was able to gather was that it spoke of the history of Okesh and elements were only mentioned in the most bland way. There was one interesting part where fire elementals were used to burn a forest that led to real contact with elves that caught Tyrius' eye.

Moving on to another book, Tyrius realised that as he touched it, so did Winston. "Half each?" Tyrius suggested as they both opened the book and started reading. The book was a lot more nature based than the last and Tyrius felt a strange relaxing feeling, as if the book itself gave off the smell of a forest. Or it was just one of Lady Malia's plants, Tyrius couldn't be sure. Reading the book, Tyrius came to the realisation that the book was the one Lady Malia had found mention of the summoning ritual in. Reading the notes on the ritual more carefully, Tyrius realised that it wasn't necessary to make a bargain - the ritual itself gave control over the summoned entity.

"From what I'm reading here," Tyrius said, tapping the page he was on, "The summoning itself gives us some form of power over the elemental. But we have to be careful." Tyrius glanced at the page again, just to make sure he'd read it right, "`If the summoner's concentration is broken,`" Tyrius said, reading directly from the book, "` the summoned creature is free to run rampant until the spell would fade naturally or it's killed by other means. It will obey verbal commands, but if left without instruction will attempt to defend itself and summoner. `" Tyrius looked up to Lady Malia, "Are you still okay with doing this?" Tyrius asked, fearing the worst if the elemental were to break free.

So Ben wanted to take a break, did he? Virra was only too happy to help him with that. There was still one more book that she'd picked out, the one on water elemental history and makeup, but she left it sitting on the table; after however long she had spent studying the last one, her heart wasn't in it. She held up a hand to Eliza, slipped out of her chair and headed over to the young lord's seat, managing to cut in just as Ormeth finished speaking.

"We've managed to dig up a few facts," she announced like she and Ben hadn't been speaking just a moment ago. "Wanna go over them and share what we know? I'm starting to go a bit stir crazy just reading in silence."

Ben was thinking on a response to Ormeth when Virra approached. He turned with a tired smile, "Yeah, just a moment." Turning back to Ormeth he offered her scroll back to her, "Thank you for your help Ormeth, I appreciate it, but I need some time to think on what I've learned and confer with my friends. Perhaps they will think to ask something I have overlooked." He nodded to her before standing and joining Virra.

"I've learned that Geas acts as a sort of contract between the caster and the target. If we're smart we might be able to break the Geas by tricking the Sea into issuing a command it knows to be lethal to Lestone. Alternatively, the subject of the spell takes damage only once each day for 'disobedience'. If Lestone were to act against his master's wishes, he could be free for a day, so long as the Geas doesn't kill him." Ben sighed, "That's all I've got. What did you learn of water elementals?"

Eliza stared longingly at the unread book before allowing herself to be dragged along. “Elementals differ quite a lot from each other. Each one tends to value and horde certain items. One dwelling near Porthca, for instance, probably likes ships.” Shrugging her shoulders, “you probably know more than I do what that might mean.”

Defallion Manor | Study:

Malia nodded, "Yes -- I'm of a similar mind to Lord Benito, if it will potentially help stop the deaths, I wish to help. However ... I know I cannot do much if it comes to a plain fight." She gestured towards the book, "I know the summoner is given some measure of control over the elemental, but I don't wish to ... I'd rather it be a partnership than enslavement. So, while yes, I'm summoning it from where ever it slumbers, I'd rather not create enemies, instead future allies."

Adjusting her sleeves she glanced away, "It's something mom used to say all the time ... While Rich is the one taking over the family, she still gave us all lessons in how to manage the family business, given us daughters would likely end up in politics were we married off. 'Surround yourself in a nest of feathers, not thorns,' she'd say, 'and if thorns come your way, an attempt made to soften them is always worth it.'" Chuckling softly, she added, "She always preferred to be on friendly terms with others, even if they originally came as enemies. Often times, when she went out to investigate bandit attacks on the fields, somehow she'd end up winning over some of their members and convince them it was better to work the fields than it was to steal from them. The ... 'pleasure of hardwork and its rewards', she'd say. I hope to someday be like her."

Shaking her head she looked back at the pair, "Regardless, I'm afraid I was rambling."

Temple of Deneir | Reading Room:

Finasaer approached the paladin, reaching up to pat his shoulder, "Any knowledge gained is good knowledge, my friend. Who is to truly know what might be considered 'helpful' at the time until all is laid out? Even then, the future may be glad for what was said in the past, while the present ignores it." He gave Ander a toothy smile before removing his hand and pacing a moment more, "A warehouse, though strange when considered with the rest, appears a reasonable place to start. I expect, somewhere, someone must likely still have the contract -- both the original, and the one for this new structure."

Catelyn thought back to her vision the night before and frowned before shaking her head. "I am afraid that I have not heard much discussion of a physical contract. In my visions, it was referred to as a bargain, with a debt required to be paid... There was one other thing I recall that I am not certain I had mentioned before. Lestone said something about how he hadn't intended to spend so long with the sea... But I cannot imagine what might have changed to alter the terms of their agreement. Perhaps the arrangement was that Lestone would belong to the sea for a certain period of time?" Catelyn shrugged and tightened her cord around her hand. "Regardless, is it common for mortals to enter into contracts with primordial spirits? Is there any known precedent of similar incidents? I know that devils are rather fond of their contracts, and that gods are known to make deals with mortals from time to time, but I am afraid I do not know nearly as much about the manner of being we are dealing with."

Winston nodded admiringly as Malia confirmed her desire to help, even with the danger they faced. His eyes unfocused a bit as she went off on the tangent, but he understood her sentiment well. "Well we will be sure to keep you safe no matter what, we can stick Ander to you as a bodyguard, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. As for making friends with this elemental...I had hoped we might find something in these books that would help us understand them and offer something we could be certain they want, but..." WInston trailed off as he waved a hand at the books. Sighing audibly, "Well we could at least try and take a look through the rest of the books if you're up for it Ty?"

With Tyrius' aid to look at the higher shelves Winston couldn't see, they searched through the library, only finding agriculture and horticulture books. Winston sat on the floor once they reached the end of the bookshelf, disappointed. "Well what are we going to do now? Just take a guess?"

Tyrius nodded in agreement with Winston, "You're right, Lady Malia. Would be better to have a willing ally that was with us freely." At Winston's question, Tyrius smiled, "Absolutely. Could spend all day looking at these books, they seem very interesting."

Helping Winston to search the higher shelves, Tyrius looked over the spines at the titles, though most of them appeared to be books on agricultural. Interesting, but not what they needed at that moment in time. "Well, hopefully Virra, Lizzy and Ben found something in the Accmour's library." Tyrius said, "We've still got to get the components for the summoning." Tyrius turned to Lady Malia, "Sounds like your mother was a very wise woman."

"And they don't like fire," Virra put in helpfully. "They try to extinguish it if there's some nearby, and they stay away from freezing areas in case it messes up their form. Might be good to have in mind while Malia's doing her summoning."

She nudged Ben's arm and smiled. "So yeah, she probably knows all about that stuff already. But it's good to hear what you found out about the spell! Maybe I can think of some way to bamboozle the Sea into breaking the Geas and letting Lestone go. Virra 'Hopalong' Nickeltooth, Deceiver of the Sea..." She grinned. "Yeah, we can make that work, right?" If she was as tired as Ben after all the research, she was doing her best to hide it.

Defallion Manor | Study:

Smiling Malia nodded once more, "Yes, she definitely was." Seating herself on the desk she looked around the room, "The components should be fairly easy, merely need water and sand, plenty of which we'll find by the shore." Her gaze landed on the windows towards the back of the room, "We've still got some time before when Lord Benito wished to meet up, perhaps we could go collect some from the docks? Need to decide how to transport it."

Temple of Deneir | Reading Room:

"Hm... perhaps a deal layered along with the other? Or perhaps a loophole was found, many times it depends on how things are worded." The tiefling smiled, "Often an issue, especially when those trying to make a contract may not understand the same languages."

Running a finger along a horn he replied, "As you say, often devils and fiends are keen to form contracts. I've read of gods doing similar, typically to choose their champions in the 'fight against Evil'."

Clasping his hands in front of him, he continued, "If we're looking for precedents, we are in a library. I have read many books, I do not claim to have read all. I may have an idea where to look, given I help organize and place new books when we get them." Finasaer's tail twitched behind him, "Old myths often speak of the natural world in more ... personal tones I suppose, I expect that would be where to start."

Aedon House | Library:

Ormeth smiled towards Virra and Eliza, "Sounds like you two got a fair amount of information from the books you found, I'm glad. Not many care for research, but it can come quite handy, even if it's just casual reading. Is there anything more I can help you all with or do you believe that's everything?"

"Not at the moment Ormeth, thank you again for all your assistance. We may need more assistance later, but for now we need to focus and put our heads together." Ben nodded his thanks to the woman and took a seat at the table with Eliza.

"So it likes ships, it wants to put out fires and it doesn't like the cold." Ben drummed his fingers across the desk as he though. "We should hope that the night is not too cold, and prepare a large bonfire as a distraction should things get out of hand. Honestly, I don't know what we might offer it that would garner some favor. Perhaps my father has an old anchor lying around or something that might entice the elemental into assisting us, but that begs the question: Is it like a child who should be made to accomplish the task before they are rewarded or like a man who we must trust will fulfill his bargain once we've made good on our own." He shook his head, "We should err on the side of caution. I would rather lose the item than a life. Best to treat it with respect and not anger it."

Catelyn nodded to the horned man with a small smile. “I am certain that it was an extremely complicated process. If I am to be honest, I do not envy you for having to observe contracts on a regular basis. It is so much harder to read one’s intention through script instead of face to face. Anyways, if you would like to show us to this section of the library, I would be most grateful.” She gave the tiefling a small bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread