Porthca Landing I: Memory of the Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virra took a second to ponder before answering. "I can't say anything about breaking magic bonds, but there is one thing I can try. When he showed up at the manor, I spoke to him while we were fighting. You probably didn't hear it in all the chaos --" Virra stopped just short of winking, "--but I'm fairly sure he did, even though he didn't answer. I guess there wasn't much point, it was just a threat and a rhetorical question. But now that I know who he is and what he might be going through, I can try talking to him again. Maybe, with a bit of my special tact, he could be convinced to give up some secrets himself." She was only half joking. Even though she'd never managed it herself, she knew that telepathy could accomplish some astonishing things. Maybe all she needed was to be especially persuasive about it.

Tyrius looked for the nearest empty pew and sat down as he thought about everything he'd heard. "So, we've a slave to The Sea," Tyrius said, putting particular emphasis on the last two words, "Who even if we free him we'll have to kill. He's the one who attacked the manor and attempted to kill Joane and Robern and caused this mayhem today."

'So much for one day off the investigation to mourn Cyne.' Tyrius thought to himself, 'Think Ben thinks of me too highly though - the only skill I have the others lack is a tendency to cause mass outbreaks of magical fire if my magic goes wild and about four spells for different flavours of fire. But I'm not going to stand idle either. If we're summoning a water elemental and it might go out of control, we're going to be reliant on magic and magical based weapons. Daggers and quarterstaffs might as well be butter knives and tooth picks against them.'

"Fighting a water elemental might take a lot of work, perhaps someone else here knows more but what I remember from Azarad is that only magic or magical weapons can injure them and there's a fair few things they can't be harmed by." Tyrius said.

At Tyrius’ new information, Winston rubbed his forehead, just between his eyebrows. He was back to being useless, just like that. None of his possessions were remotely magical, except maybe that quill and ink from his shop, but that wouldn’t be very useful. “Great, so that takes me completely out of the situation all together, I’m magically inept. What in the hell should I do then? Run around at yell at it?” Winston grumbled sarcastically. “Unless someone has some magical weapon lying around they’re not using, all I’ll be good for is providing some sort of distraction.”

Kelemvor Temple | Main Room:

After Ben had reappeared in the main room, Acolyte Amadeus had followed, catching the eye of Rewalt who excused himself, "You've heard my suggestions -- if you're going to summon anything, even if I disagree about doing so, I request you do it outside Porthca. I'd rather not have a wild elemental stomping through our streets." As he turned he shook his head sighing.

Richeye placed a hand on Malia's shoulder, "You really want to do this?" He met his sister's eyes for a moment before sighing as well, "I can't let you try to do this on your own -- I'll come along as well. Like Lord Benito, I'm not keen to lose a family member so soon again. Froot can help protect Da and Kecei if anything goes wrong ... but we'll not let it come to that."

Behind the siblings Master Enol approached, reaching into a small pouch on his hip and pulled out a small black pearl, as he muttered before laying a hand on the bow Ben was holding. Placing the pearl back he spoke, "I think you'll find that's a very fitting bow, considering your family line, young Lord Benito. Maybe spend some time with it while your group is doing their research."

Clasping his hands before him he looked over the group, "I've been overhearing a very interesting conversation over here ... including elementals." He nodded towards Winston, "While I cannot offer permanently magic weapons, I do know the House near here has two scrolls of a spell called 'magic weapon'. It would last an hour, but you could temporarily make a favored weapon magical." Enol glanced towards Ben, "Consider this another aid from the Accmours in trying to finally put this to rest," he gestured towards the small charm hanging from his neck that Ben also wore.

“I swear it was here a moment ago!” Eliza spent a few minutes digging through her bag looking for her lost pearl before grabbing it triumphently and turning to Ben. Seeing that Enol had already cast the spell and returned the bow in that time, she tossed her pearl back into the sac sighing and focused on the conversation again.

“I agree with dealing with the creature outside of Porthca. The only high level combat spell I have is kind of disasterous if cast indoors.”

Benito was surprised to be approached by Master Accmour, he turned to the man with a smile and a polite bow, "Thank you for your generosity, we will end this threat." He rose from the bow and placed the bow over his shoulder carefully as he pondered Accmour's offer, "I seem to recall that spell scrolls can be used only by some who might otherwise be capable of casting that spell. I know that I personally was never capable of casting from a scroll; but I'm sure at least one among us is capable." He nodded to Eliza.

"I'll be sure to find a spare moment for this bow, but for the research, is there somewhere you recommend we might start? Currently the two concerns are summoning the elemental and dealing with Lestone. I'm sure Malia is capable of the summoning, but how might we get it to speak on our behalf? Or, if you have any insight on how one might free someone bound to the sea?" Ben looked to the older man, a spark of hope that he might hold some of the answers they themselves did not have. "We have the day before I intend to summon the elemental, even an idea of where to begin searching for answers would be a great help."

Ander took in as much information as he could, and knowing that Eliza didn't have much, not did most of his new friends, he thought it might be best if they asked for some of the supplies required to keep spells. He had read that there was special ink that magic users used, and he figured that Emil might have some extra.

"Excuse me, Master Accumor, but might you be able ta spare some of that special ink so that my friend here might be able ta copy these spells down? It would help us on our mission." Ander did his best to match the level of decorum in the room, but his accent and lack of knowledge of customs betrayed him slightly.

Listening to Ben, Enol thought for a moment before being adressed by Ander. He smiled as he tilted his head to look up at the taller man, "The Accmours never give anything completely freely, else our resources would quickly deplete. However ... I can inform an Accmour to give a discount on enough materials to copy down one scroll." He glanced towards Eliza, "I would prefer someone who had graduated Azarad ... but I see our options are limited at the moment. Not to slight you, young lady, but I expect many charlatans might attempt to sell 'magical items' created by the spell, and that falls back on us."

Thinking on what Ben had asked, Master Accmour stood with his hands clasped behind his back, "There's potentially dominating it, however I expect that's rather outside your respective skill levels -- the ritual to summon it is similar, however gives weaker control over it." Fixing his gaze on Malia he continued, "Be mindful of word choice young Lady, creatures summoned often look for any small loophole they can find." Adjusting his sleeves he added, "Perhaps, even with it being summoned, you could gift it something to win its own favor, a ... strange advocate on your behalf. The Lestone question however ... I know of various spells that could have a similar affect to what afflicts him, if it's as you all say. One that comes to mind specifically is magically considered a curse -- a 'geas'."

As he spoke his wife and daughter moved up to stand behind him, Aniris placing a hand on his shoulder. He glanced towards her then looked back to the group, "There may be other ways to break such a spell, if the magical means are still outside your gasp, however," he gave a tired smile, "if you were to be given all the answers, what would be the point of improving oneself? The Houses are open to you and yours, Lord Benito, obviously you know where House Lasaris is. I'll make sure you're expected and allowed access to our Library, however remember no books are allowed to be taken out, given that some of them are only held together by the ambient magic within the House."

Benito reached for his small pouch of coins, feeling how light it seemed since purchasing that wine and the shoes. He almost sighed, but caught himself, as he looked to Master Accmour once more, "We greatly appreciate your guidance and assistance, and we will not squander what aid you've already given. Thank you."

He smiled and turned to the party, "Cate, you and Ander should head to the Temple of Deneir, they've got a library. Maybe you can find a way to free Lestone there, or at least find out more about him."

"If Virra, Lizy, and I head to the nearest Accmour house, we can collect the scrolls and visit the library. We'll look for a way to circumvent or end a geas as well as any more information on summoning elementals that we can including what might be an appropriate gift. It'll also give Lizy a safe place to transcribe the scroll in peace."

"Winston and Ty, if you could accompany Mel and Rich, assist in the collection of any reagents or components required for the summoning. If we find a suitable gift, I may call on the two of you to collect it, depending on the nature of the thing."

He nodded, "Unless anyone has something else that needs doing, we best get to it. We'll meet at the De'Porthca manor at six this evening giving us time to collect our gear, travel to the beach, and set everything up." Ben looked to Richeye, "Rich, you need rest. Either do it now, while my allies aid your sister, or don't show up on that beach. I'll not let you put yourself in danger when you're clearly not at your best."

Having finished his proposal, Ben moved to Eliza's side and leaned in, "Master Accmour seems to believe this bow is something special. I really would appreciate it if you could spare the time to take a look once we're at the Accmour House. I also know that funds are tight, I've got 40 gold if it helps cover the cost of transcribing the spell."

Virra slowly nodded. "That's... not a terrible plan. Thanks, Ben." She might have been more enthusiastic had her share of it not involved visisting a library. Well, whatever, she could pull her weight there if she absolutely had to. Sticking close to Eliza and Ben struck her as a good idea too.

Suddenly she realised that the plan wasn't quite ideal in other ways. Suppressing a sigh, she turned to Cate. "Seriously, don't let me forget to measure you for those shoes once we're back at the Manor. It'll just take one minute when everyone's less highly strung." It was the little things, she reasoned, that she could look forward to while buried in a mountain of books.

Eliza an unattractive dark yellow as she felt her face and neck flush up from the sting. "Su...sure, yeah, I can do that." She clenched her hands and forced herself to stay in this for one more day at least. As long as she was still of any use to Ben and the rest she would stay and help but she decided she wouldn't stay one more day once this was all over. She wanted to out of this whole 'get out of the house' nonsense. Once she got back home nothing and no one could make her leave again. She had enough character building for a lifetime now.

Catelyn nodded to Benito. “The god of knowledge would be a good place to search. Father Uskough sent me to their church in order to find a cure for a rare and particularly resilient disease last winter. Their acolytes were most eager to help.” Hearing Virra in her head, she turned and responded with a slight smile. “Yes, of course. I really do appreciate your aid.” She looked up at Ander. “I am ready whenever you are. There is unfortunately little time to waste if we wish to learn anything of how to break Lestone free of the sea’s control.”

After discussion and agreement on the plan for the rest of the day, the group began to split once more. Together, before leaving the temple, all the Families approached Cyne's casket, seeing the seawater that still rested inside, still and peaceful. A hard expression was worn by all of the parents amongst them as they each stood by Anthol's side during this painful moment.

Finally he moved to close the casket, looking towards Rewalt, who merely nodded, before the Families each began to leave. Passing Ben, Anthol placed a hand on his shoulder, giving it a squeeze, "Whatever happens on the beach tonight ... be safe. I tire of seeing caskets of friends and family." He looked into Ben's eyes for a moment before continuing out, lifting Robern to carry on his hip while Joane followed Sidwae, hugging her skirt as she glanced back to Ben.

------

Aedon House:

Borrowing one of the carriages the De'Porthca had used for their arrival, Virra, Ben, and Eliza eventually found themselves stopping as the driver opened the door and offered a hand for those exiting. Unlike the Lasaris House which looked unassuming, this one looked like a small storefront, the windows covered by curtains. Entering into the building, it expanded further in, revealing a sitting room with a human woman behind a desk who looked as though she were nearly asleep before the trio entered. She wore simple robes of the Accmour colors, her dark brown hair resting on her shoulders as her green eyes swept over the group, the pin on her collar flickered with the school of enchantment lit. Quickly moving to sit upright she squinted at the group before clapping her hands, "Oh! It's -- you're the ones Master Accmour sent a message about. Right, right. Okay ..."

Reaching under her desk she pulled out a small box and set it on top, "He said to have materials for spell copying ready -- and that a discount was to be applied. So, I got the items, and ... oh there were scrolls too weren't there." The woman frowned, "I knew I forgot something ..." Pushing her seat back as she stood she gave a hesitant smile, "Well, I think you were going to do some searching in our library anyway, right? I can get the scrolls while you do research. Shouldn't take long -- just, my memory. Little ... lacking sometimes."

Defallion Carriage:

During the ride to the Defallion Manor, the carriage had been slightly cramped, between Odith, Rich, Kecei, Malia, Ty, and Winston. Occasionally, Rich's eyes had drooped as he sat pressed against the side, the two women between him and his father. Bumps in the cobblestones tended to rouse him while Malia muttered to herself, "So, okay, surprisingly the components to summon the water elemental are pretty simple: water and sand." She messed with her hair for a moment, "Which given where Porthca is, that's not difficult to find at all, and I guess is not surprising given this is a ritual druids can do. The question is ... what would a water elemental want? Also need to find a good place to set up everything, can't be too close to the town..."

Off to her side, Odith rubbed his eyes, "Mal, pretty sure the books we have at home don't discuss summoning ... where'd you even find something like this?"

Malia was silent before responding, "I ... may have asked the Accmours to keep an eye out for books...?"

Woken once more from a bump in the streets, Rich chuckled, "I see, so while I'm out digging in the fields, you're digging in books for magic. Whatever happened to just revitalizing the earth? Or helping keep animals healthier?"

With an exasperated huff, Malia replied, "But Rich -- think of it, some elementals and creatures that can be summoned could help with digging in the fields, or protecting them! If there's a drought, a water elemental could water the fields, if a field needs to be cleared, what would be better than an earth elemental? Maybe if we can figure out a way to appease a water one, we can ... do the same for others." Frowning, "I don't want to use them ... I'd rather be allies if possible. Help each other."

Temple of Deneir:

Walking to the temple, already murmurs were moving through the streets of what had happened at Kelemvor's temple -- some muttering that the nobles had angered the sea, others that maybe Kelemvor was weak if they couldn't protect their own temple, and so on. The mood of the streets was definitely mixed, the clouds from the prior night's storm still lingering in the sky.

Finally arriving to the temple, it looked less like a religious structure and more like a library, the front windows displaying books with small notes also offering literacy classes, or the current recommended book, even a parchment mentioning signing up for a "book club". Entering inside, there's a hush, small tables placed across the building with seats and small candles, looking up there's a second level as well with bookshelves filled to the brim. On the first level bookshelves are scattered around, while acolytes can be seen wandering back and forth, collecting books left on tables and placing them back in their places. Off to the side an acolyte could be seen reading to a small group of children, mostly human with a dwarven child and two halflings mixed in alongside. The acolyte herself appeared to be a half-orc, making use of her rougher voice as she acted out some scary villain in the tale she was reading.

Looking further in a few acolytes sat with adults of differing races, some appearing to help teach math, while others could be overheard softly guiding someone through a written sentence. As the pair are looking around the temple, an acolyte carrying books approached them, bowing slightly, before speaking softly, "Hello, welcome to the temple of Deneir, amusingly nicknamed the 'free library of Porthca'." The man appeared to be a tiefling, small ramhorns curled around the side of his head, his skintone a deep red, a tail swished underneath his robes as he observed the pair, pale golden eyes studying them. He smiled faintly, "How may I aid fellow servants of gods?"

Catelyn frowned as she heard the rumors already traveling through the city of what had occurred in the temple. As if there were not already enough troubles... I suppose that someone may know something and come forward with some information, but I doubt that we will be so lucky. She sighed and kept walking, leading the way to the temple.

Upon being received by the tiefling acolyte, Catelyn gave him a small smile and a low bow in response. "Good morning. I am Catelyn Pryce, Priestess of the Crying God, and my companion is Sir Ander, Champion of the Morning Lord. We have come seeking knowledge and wisdom from the great scholars of Deneir about a grave threat that is facing the city of Porthca. Is there somewhere in which we could speak in private? I do not wish to disturb your flock, nor to trouble them with our issues."

Swaying a little from side to side as the carriage moved through the streets, Tyrius wondered what a water elemental could want.
'If I was a water elemental,' Tyrius thought to himself, 'what would I want?' An answer came to him and without thinking it through he blurted it out.
"Could we bribe a water elemental with sea shells?" Tyrius asked.

As the conversation continued between the two siblings, Tyrius nodded in agreement with Lady Malia, "Elemental allies do sound very useful. What do you think Winston?" Tyrius asked, realising he hadn't spent much time around the halfling.

Benito smiled as he approached the desk, "Wonderful, thank you. We'll need to know the cost of these goods as well." He smiled at the woman, trying his best not to be upset with her disorganization, time was of the essence and forgetting the scrolls would slow the transcription process. "Would you kindly point us to the library, Miss...?" He let the title linger, hoping to get a name.

Virra suppressed a smile as she strolled up to the desk alongside Ben. There was something about seeing someone clearly slacking off in their job that resonated with her.

"The name of the spell was 'Magic Weapon'," she put in the moment Ben finished speaking. "And I think there were two? Yeah, two scrolls." Maybe it would have been more helpful if she had given the sleepy receptionist some time to react between questions, but they were in a hurry. The sooner they could get back to the manor, the better.

Aedon House:

Pushing her hair out of her face, the woman replied, "Ormeth -- Accmour, of course." Glancing down at the box of materials, "I think Master Accmour said these would be twenty-five gold and," nodding at Virra over the counter, "I can find those scrolls pretty easily." Moving from behind her desk she gestured for the group to follow her off to the side, leading them to a hallway that while they walked, it didn't feel like they were actually making any distance. Continuing a little longer, Ormeth yawned a few times before she motioned before her with a slight bow, drawing the trio's attention forward, finding themselves looking at a massive library whose shelves stretched upwards and further in more than they could manage to see. Across the aisles books floated, some closed, and some flapping like small birds, being dodged by other workers -- or actively chased it seemed.

Tables were set across the room, each with a hovering small flame for light with comfortable chairs set on offer. Looking over the area a loud clang could be heard as Ormeth glanced to the side, "Ah -- don't mind that. Some of the books get a bit more personality than we like, and they're not always friendly, so some have to be chained. Otherwise we'd have to worry about books attacking readers!" She gave a tired chuckle, "And ... well, we don't really want to deal with that. Anyway, pick a table, I'll bring the scrolls over."

Ormeth disappeared in amongst the shelving as the trio were left to their own devices for the moment.

Defallion Carriage:

At Tyrius' suggestion, Malia shrugged, "It's worth a try I suppose? What kind of shells though -- just normal ones? Or ones that are more unique?"

Temple of Deneir:

Adjusting his hold on the books the tiefling motioned for the pair to follow him further across the library, "To seek knowledge and wisdom -- while I cannot promise our shelves hold what you hope to find, we are often the first stop on the road to such things." As he walked he placed books on shelves, or shuffled some further down, bringing some to the edge of the shelf if they had been pushed back, "We have a few small rooms -- for meetings and our book clubs, when we manage to get enough people interested."

His tail flicked for a moment as he sighed, "It's hard to get people interested -- for some a job poster is enough reading for a month, let alone a full book." Placing his last tome back where it apparently belonged he led the pair to a small room off to the side with a door, cushions and blankets were spread around as a few small candles were lit along the wall, offering soft light for reading. Standing with his hands clasped before him, he offered a toothy smile while he looked between the both of them, "I am Finasaer, acolyte and servant of Deneir, and two of other gods have come seeking aid and knowledge. Please, what may I help you find?"

Eliza’s curiosity peaked, she started the ritual over the longbow on the way to the Accomour’s. Her attention was focused razer-sharp as she went over every inch of the bow, Faust squeking his helpful suggestions. “Yes, I agree but the question now is-!” Faust clapped his hands and pointed towards a spot on the bow, “Oh, that’s amazing. Ben would love this!”

A few minutes later Eliza gave back the bow grinning, “This is quite the bow, Lord Ben. I think you will find yourself far less dehydrated from this day forwards.” Eliza went into the nitty-gritty minutiae of the bow during the entire ride only stopping when they reached the building. Flushed with excitement she followed Ben inside and waited for the scrolls.

Benito took the bow back from Eliza, "Thank you, hopefully I'll make good use of it." He looked around and found a table off to one side of the library away from the rattling of chains and the commotion of librarians chasing books.

He took a seat and retrieved his coin pouch counting out the twenty five gold for the materials and neatly stacking them in small stacks of five for Ormeth to count when she returned. Ben smiled at Eliza, "Lizy, you should focus on transcribing that spell for yourself. Unfortunately our backup plan is far more thought out than our actual plan. Besides, I think magic weapon will serve you well as a spell regardless of tonight's outcome. Once you've got that taken care of we could definitely use the help with research though." He then turned his attention to Virra, "While she's copying the spell into her book, we'll need to find anything we can on water elementals. If we can figure out what they like, what drives them, or what they might want, that's a great start. We should also keep an eye out for any weaknesses or strong aversions. We'll avoid things it might not like and keep a few weaknesses handy in case things fall to the more violent option. We should also try to figure out the geas spell while we're here, but honestly... Lestone killed a child. Slave or not, he's a monster. We need to focus on saving the ones who aren't already dead."

Ben waited patiently for Ormeth's return, offering her the coin for the materials, and requesting her assistance, "Ormeth, could you possibly point us to the sections on elements and enchantments? We're specifically interested in water elementals and the geas spell. We're looking more for research texts and books that explain the concept, theory, and function, rather than spell scrolls." He put on his best smile, and hoped for a little assistance finding their way around since it appeared to him that Ormeth was the only one not currently running from or chasing a book.

Aedon House:

Returning to the table, Ormeth set down the two scrolls, moving her hair out of her face again while she listened to Ben. Picking up the gold she dropped it into a strange pouch before replying, "Enchantments and Geas? My academic focus was enchantments," she pointed to her pin, "and part of my senior thesis was on the spell Geas itself, since it's a more ... forceful Suggestion in a way."

The woman appeared to wake up a little at the shift in conversation, "We have a section focusing on elementals, I can bring some relevant books over for both that and the Geas spell -- I mean, I could also be a reference I suppose -- but only if you wanted. Not going to assume I know everything, heh that's for Master Accmour, not me."

"We would welcome the assistance. If you wouldn't mind grabbing some of those books on elementals for my friends, then you and I can discuss your thesis on geas. I'd love to see a copy as well, if you have one." Ben grinned, "We can definitely use all the help we can get. Thank you."

Virra barely caught any of what Ben and Ormeth were saying. From the moment they entered the room she stood staring in awe, first at the size of the place and then at the books that floated or flapped between the shelves. The clanging made by the more aggressive ones chained up somewhere out of sight only got her more giddy to explore. Why had nobody told her this library would actually be amazing?

Finally catching the tail end of the conversation, she quickly jumped in to contradict Ben's request. "Actually, don't worry yourself about bringing those books on elementals. Just point us to the section." She was already rolling up her sleeves, smiling broadly. "Can't be restrictive in our research, can we?"

Used to smaller cramped spaces, Winston was not too uncomfortable as the carriage made its way to its destination. He stared back at Tyrius with a blank expression as he offered the idea of bribing the elemental with sea shells. Winston wasn't exactly 'educated' per say, but even he knew that wouldn't work. Instead, he put a smile on chuckled "Now there's an idea, we can keep that in our back pocket if we can't come up with anything better. I don't think there is anything really material that we could offer a water elemental, I think they might be more interested in something we could offer them in terms of a favor for their help. But I don't know what we could do that they would possibly want to do..." Winston trailed off as his thought process stopped there, unsure of what else to say.

Tyrius nodded at Winston's suggestion. It made sense, sounding more like a business arrangement.
"If we're holding the idea of offering shells as backup, maybe unique interesting shells would work better?" Tyrius mused as he pondered the second part, "In terms of favour, it'd be best to imagine something equivalent in value for what we're asking them to do." Tyrius trailed off to, not having a clue what could be equivalent in value for a water elemental and hoping someone else would have an idea beyond bribing them with material goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread