• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Port Vera

Characters
Here

sawyer.

• mood

festive.

Sawyer fixed the turkey hat over his head in front of the bathroom mirror, making sure it was secure enough to last the whole way to the bar. He was going to bike the whole way there, as was expected of him. "Looking good, Washington." He gave some finger guns to the mirror, trying (and failing) to moonwalk out of the bathroom. Sawyer practically skipped down the stairs, wrapping his arms around his mother, who's back was turned to him, busy preparing a pie for Thanksgiving. "I'm heading out, Ma." Sawyer was his mother's biggest fan and number one supporter, and he knew she felt the same way about him. It had been nearly a decade since they lost the third party in their household, Sawyer's father and Evelyn's husband, Nicholas. The holidays were a rough time for the Washington's, even nine years after Nick's death.

"Alright, Sy. If you're going to be out late, send me a text. I don't want to be up at 3AM worrying about you." Evelyn leaned into her son's hug. Sawyer had been the light shining through the darkness following her husband's sudden death. Moving to Port Vera to be closer to her side of the family was the best decision she could have made for her and her son. "I shouldn't, but I will if I am. If you need anything, let me know." Sawyer let go of his mother, taking one last look at her before making his way outside to grab his bike. Sawyer didn't have his driver's license, as driving utterly terrified him, so he rode his bicycle everywhere he went. It was honestly better this way - it helped him stay active, and it was great for the environment. It was a win-win situation for him, even though everyone clowned him for it. That didn't bother him none, though - he was just living life to the fullest.

He hopped on his bike, putting his off-brand AirPods (what, they're expensive!) in his ears and turning up some Weezer before starting on the long journey to DuBois' Pub. It took him twenty-five minutes, but he eventually parked his bike in front of the bar, a frown on his lips. Bars weren't his thing - he didn't drink, and he had an unfavorable view of them in general. But it was Friendsgiving, and Sawyer was going to see his friends regardless of the location. He took his earbuds out of his ears, putting them in their case inside of the basket on the front of his bike before hopping off of it. He took a deep breath before walking into the bar, strolling up to the bar and ordering a glass of water. He could fake this being alcohol if anyone asked, right?

remember the times.

barlitto.

♡coded by uxie♡

scroll

cinnamon girl

Tabitha Cohen

mood

Tired.

outfit

Casual

Home -> County Fair

interactions

Robert & Alma Cohen

tags

tags here

Back in the old house.

From a structural standpoint, the old mansion hadn't changed much. To the best of Tabitha’s ability of remembering, almost everything seemed to be in the same place it was four years ago.

The same, old family portrait over the fireplace, the overpriced artwork her mother got for the kitchen, the ancient carpet that got her a black eye in 7th grade, after she spilled coffee on it.

It was off-putting, how nothing changed. Tabitha felt like a completely different person, yet her childhood home stayed the same. There had to be a metaphor in there, somewhere.

When her hand touched the wall, she finally realized what was bothering her. The wallpaper,’ she thought after a beat, ‘they changed the wallpaper in the foyer.’

It was uglier now. She didn't like it.

Tabitha leaned against the now-unfamiliar wall, holding herself as she watched her mother in the living room, sitting on the loveseat, her dead eyes locked on the television. Wearing that damn wig. She didn't get the point of using that thing around the house, it’s not like they didn't know the effects of chemo, they all knew what was under there. Still, Tabitha didn't give Alma the satisfaction of asking her reasons.

“Mom?” She called out to Alma, who was even more out of it than usual. Maybe it was unfair of Tabitha to judge her for it, the woman had just lost a child. It wasn't a child she had taken good care of, or cared much about at all, but Edgar had been hers all the same. The closest Tabitha had been to a situation like this was with Jade and Mason, and that had been…well, a different kind of horrible.

But Tabitha had also lost a brother, and her mother hadn't been particularly nicer to her over it either.

When Tabitha was younger, her mother would've already been wine-drunk by this hour. Now, she had upgraded to medically prescribed pills.

“Mom?” Tabitha called out, louder this time, getting some form of reaction from Alma, who slowly blinked her tired eyes up at her youngest daughter “I’m going out.”

“Oh.” Alma’s slurred, hoarse voice was even quieter and slower now. Tabitha hated it. “Where are you going, love? You just got here.”

“I’m meeting some friends.”

“Who…?”

“You don’t know them, mom.” Tabitha would bet good money Alma didn't remember any of them, at least. “Call me if you need-”

“Do you have to leave?”

The voice came from behind her. It would be a lie to say it didn't still send a wave of panic through her chest to hear his voice. Tabitha refused to let him know, though. She turned around and faced her father with a blank stare.

“Your mother could use the company.” Robert Cohen said, with his hairs a lot more grey than the last time they spoke.

“Then you should keep your wife company.” Tabitha replied simply, trying to walk past him, but Robert blocked her way.

“You're going out to get drunk, you might as well do it here, Tabitha.” He looked down at her, with a mix of frustration and exhaustion “Your family needs you. I want you to stay home.”

“Or what?Tabitha snapped, not missing how his face twisted at her words.

‘He hates me.’ Was all she could think ‘He blames me.’

Robert Cohen’s reputation never recovered from the accident four years ago.

No, accident was a very sugar-coated way to put it. It would imply he didn't hurt her on purpose.

He put Tabitha in the hospital the day after prom night. The years she spent defending him, claiming he’d never lay a hand on her, sleeping with cops so they would leave her family alone…it all went out the window in one night. When she woke up in the ER, her father had been arrested and soon enough the entire town knew what he had done.

It was very telling that her father still blamed her for it.

She had always wanted to get out of town, but that event just cemented in her mind that she had no other choice but to leave.

“I haven't seen most of them in over four years.”
Tabitha said calmly, nails digging into her palm “They’re doing a thing for Edgar. I can't just not show up.”

They simply stared at each other, a heavy silence filling the room. If Tabitha turned around, she was sure her mother wouldn't even be aware this conversation was happening.

“I have to go. Ash is waiting for me.” Tabitha walked past her father, not waiting for a response, a threat, or anything that man had to say.

“Tabitha!” He called out when she was at the door. She ignored him and left.

Tabitha took a deep breath, taking in the small town air once again. She despised it.

They had fucked up her life enough. She would not allow them to ruin it anymore.
—----

Spending the night at a bar run by two of her exes while mourning her recently deceased brother wasn't ideal. But it beat staying home.

Tabitha removed her brown leather jacket as she walked in the DuBois pub, a sigh leaving her lips. Another place she hadn't thought about in years. So many of her final high school days were spent here, keeping Lucky company and enthusiastically engaging in underage drinking.

Now, she’d avoid even having to look at him as much as humanly possible. Funny how things go. Depressing, but mildly funny.

The place was starting to fill up, but no sign of Ashton yet. Great. It was the cherry on top of her night, as if she hadn't dealt with enough, the blonde bitch was making her wait.

Right. The situation wasn't awkward and strange enough, Tabitha had to agree to get drinks with her former backstabbing best friend.

To be perfectly honest, her anger for Ash had greatly subsided over the years. Now, it just felt like good, old, bitter resentment. At the moment, it felt like the worst thing in the world, now…

She was still hurt. It’s just that other things hurt more. There wasn't enough space for Ash and Lucky breaking her heart.

Tabitha ordered a Gin & Tonic, and waited, hoping none of the other customers felt the need to come over and offer her words of sympathy. She would not appreciate them.

♡coded by uxie♡
[/borde

caitlin.

• mood

hungry and hormonal, the usual.

Cait normally wouldn't be caught dead in a bar at seven months pregnant, but yet, here she was. Reuben had convinced her to go to some Friendsgiving event, but only for the banana bread. Her bump was too big to fit in between the steering wheel, and she couldn't reach the pedals, so Reuben had driven them there, much to her chagrin. She preferred to drive, as she appreciated her independence, but as she was nearing the end of her pregnancy, she seemed to be losing said independence. Cait squirmed in the passenger seat, trying to get comfortable. "This seat belt is driving me crazy." she groaned, crossing her arms on top of her stomach. This baby took up too much room.

Luckily, it wasn't long before they made it to the bar. Cait quickly took off her seat belt, exiting the car and making a beeline for the bathroom. Another thing about pregnancy that she hated was the constant need to...well...go. The baby was practically playing jump rope with her bladder the way she tossed and turned in there. Cait would be so relieved when her baby girl made her grand entrance into the world, because this was not it.

After she relieved herself, Cait made her way back out into the bar, joining Reuben again. "Sorry about that. Baby girl's got to have her way or no way at all." A sheepish smile danced on her lips. She always felt the need to apologize for her sudden disappearances, even if it was self-explanatory like it usually was. "Please tell me there's non-alcoholic beverages here, 'cause I'm parched."

olive juice.

hayley gene penner.

♡coded by uxie♡

Raven Rivera
where is my mind

Mason & Lucky's bar
Eh...
something casual
interactions

Lola
Kitsune2202 Kitsune2202

She needed a cigarette.

She “quit” smoking three years ago after a deal with Jade when she claimed that Raven couldn’t possibly stop her own addiction, that she was too focused on solving everyone else’s problems instead of her own.

Did you know cigarettes symbolized adulthood? Raven learned that in a journalism class she’d taken a few years ago. It began to make sense she started so young the older she’d gotten.

In a child’s point of view; they symbolized power.

Something that she lacked most of her life.

The cigarette was on its last legs, taking a long drag as it burned closer to the bud and ash fell onto her coat. The commotion across the street caught her eye and Raven watched as a young couple argued.

Laughter could be heard from inside the bar, the muffled low-music Lucky had insisted on playing for ambiance much to Mason’s dismay.

She blew the smoke out and took another puff almost hurriedly.

I’m going to be in town soon.

Very few cars passed the bar. Last minute grocery trips and people drove back home to prepare for the holiday Raven didn’t see a point to celebrate. She hadn’t planned to come tonight– in fact she canceled.

It was an easy enough choice to make until she remembered that part of the reason for this get-together was for a wake. Another addict. Another funeral. Things like this continued to happen like clockwork; Raven was just glad that it wasn’t anyone knew personally.

so you're not coming home tonight.

at least be there for her.
The phone screen illuminated her face as she looked over the messages from hours earlier. It’d been enough to convince her to arrive at the bar– but not go in.

Her relapse of nicotine had given her enough courage to make up her mind.

The cigarette fell to the ground and she killed it with her boot. Raven sighed and her breath appeared in the cold, autumn air involuntarily shivering and approaching the entrance with her hands in her pockets.

The door swung open and she was met with unintelligible conversation, a few glances her way but the warmth was the only thing she welcomed. The lack of a brunette had settled the mixed feelings that laid heavily on her chest.

Lucky was cleaning off a glass at the bar while Mason mixed an unknown drink for a customer, a relaxed grin settled on her lips as she drew near. “Boys,” Raven greeted, leaning her forearms on the wooden bar.

“‘Looking astonishing as ever.” Her voice had caught Ariana’s attention and she waved, kissing the air her way.

The ten year old returned to her phone while Raven tapped her nails against the countertop.

“No Deo tonight. You’re forced to entertain me.” Mason strained the drink into a glass, turning around to add a finishing touch while Raven swiped it without him noticing until he had a garnish in hand and was left drinkless.

“You’re so good at following orders.”

The irritated look on his face had earned somewhat of a smirk from Raven and she held the glass out towards Mason, who dropped the orange into her drink begrudgingly.

“You’re paying for that,” He said, narrowing his eyes in annoyance as he got started on another. Raven took a sip, moderately satisfied from the old fashioned.

“Mm–I will with my undying love, cariño.” Her gaze met Lucky’s in hopes that he’d back her up, but before he could argue a point Raven stood up. “I’m off to find “the devil” as you two so gracefully put it.” Tabitha Cohen was anything but– Mason and Lucky seemed to think otherwise.

Ari was smiling at her phone and it halted Raven in her tracks.

A hand under was gently placed under the younger girl's chin that forced Ariana to meet her gaze. “Look up from your phone once in a while, you’ve got a bar full of people.”

“Old people,” Ariana corrected.

“Uh huh. If there’s a speech–”

“About the dead guy?”

Raven cocked her head to the side, pursing her lips. “Okay, I won’t be on the phone, jesus.” Ariana rolled her eyes and Raven took that as a sign to continue on her way, far from the teenaged-like attitude the ten year old carried.

No sign of Tabitha. There were plenty of blondes— as attractive as she was, Raven probably couldn’t find her in a crowd of them.

Though, there was one girl that stood out to her.

“Lola Bello,”

Lola moved away shortly after Jade fell pregnant.

Mason and Lola’s relationship hadn’t even lasted long enough to become official. It was too bad though… alike most of his exes Raven didn’t mind her.

“Not the ex of Mason’s I was looking for, but I’d probably find a girl of his on every corner of this town…”

They weren’t particularly close, so much was going on around that time that Raven didn’t even have a chance to get to know her.

She knew her and Deo were close though, that was enough to be on friendly terms with her.

“Did you just come around because you knew I’d be here? Listen… I’m flattered… but you know I’m taken.” She teased, allowing the light-hearted moment to pass before continuing.

"How are you?"

Five minutes ago she was trying to will herself to talk to the people she had no interest in being around, now she was mingling with the wrong ex of Mason's.

Three hours ago she was content with spending the night alone, then she got guilted into going.

And a year ago Raven didn't think she’d be in Port Vera living with Mason, his girlfriend, and Ari after a divorce— let alone with a new relationship.

It's crazy how time works, huh?
coded by natasha.

elliott.

• mood

pissed the fuck off.

"What do you mean, I'm not welcome at your Thanksgiving dinner? I'm your fucking brother, for the love of God!" Elliott yelled down the phone as he walked through the airport, headed to his flight to California waiting for him across the airport. A child walking with their mother cowered next to her mother as he made a scene. "Ana, come on! You're unmarried, have no children, and live alone!" This was met with the call abruptly ending. One sibling down, six more to go. He dialed the number to his next sibling, Eric, who didn't even answer. Onto Roman, who actually picked up. "Roman, hey, what are your plans for Thanksgiving?" Elliott cradled his phone in between his ear and his shoulder as he rolled his suitcase behind him.

"You're not in the States? You're on vacation? Damnit, Roman." Elliott hung up with his brother, frustrated with the lack of consideration there. He glanced up at the flight boarding sign, scanning the screen only to see that his flight had been delayed. "Son of a bitch." he cursed to himself. At least he would have some time to figure out where he'd be ending up for Thanksgiving. Cait had made it clear that he wasn't invited to her dinner, what with her bastard cop husband hosting it and all. Elliott had made many enemies over the years, and he wasn't surprised to truce it with his brother-in-law. Elliott was lucky that he had been invited to their wedding. It was only because their parents had wanted all nine kids there for a family picture that Elliott had been invited. He knew that nobody liked him, but they were going to see him regardless of if they wanted to or not. He was their sibling and son, whether they liked it or not.

Then Elliott saw him. It was as if Elliott had been dropped in a rom-com, except there was no romance and definitely no comedy. Without saying another word, Elliott left his suitcase right where it was and started for Deo. He crossed the threshold to the guy, reeling back and landing a hard blow to his temple. "That was for defacing my car." Elliott was fuming as he shoved Deo backwards. "And that was for thinking that you're better than me." Deo had just about admitted to trashing Elliott's car in their private messages, and now that they were face to face, Elliott was going to kill him. This was way more than his last straw. "Do you know that I could have you arrested for vandalism? Because I know you did it. How would your lovely girlfriend feel about you having a criminal record, huh? I bet Raven wouldn't like that very much. Oh wait, she's probably a criminal too, considering all her disgusting piercings and tattoos. You know that Leviticus 19:28 says that tattoos are a sin, right? She's going to hell just like you are."

stable.

kara's flowers.

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:
Ashton West
smoke damage

the bar
haha... haha... ha
idk probably a hoodie
interactions

Tabitha gingersnaps gingersnaps
The lights had been out for hours, and the entire house had fallen to sleep -- except for Ash, who'd found herself tossing and turning for hours in her childhood bed beside her boyfriend.

She'd tried everything to knock herself out -- she'd tried melatonin and a couple shots of whiskey, but all to no avail, because she'd find herself laying back down in the bed with her mind running wild.

Well, Ash hadn't tried everything, and that's why she was now in her father's office, with only his little desk lamp on as she rummaged through his drawers. See, Elise might've been heavily against smoking of any kind, but Steve happened to enjoy partaking in the occasional cigar every once in a while, and Ash was pretty sure she'd caught him with a cigarette a few times.

And where did he hide things he didn't want his wife to find?

His desk.

This was where Ash had actually tried her first alcohol -- a bottle of expensive whiskey that had been, like, super high proof. She'd taken a sip and then felt like she was dying for a few hours after when the burning in her nose and throat didn't subside.

As she crouched down to rummage through one of the lower drawers, her eyebrows drew together in confusion to see a letter there in the bottom of the drawer with her name written across it in familiar handwriting.

Without even having to check the return address, Ash knew it was from Ryder -- and pulling it from the depths of the drawer only cemented what she already knew because there his name was in the upper corner.

Ryder Vaughn.

The name brought a confusing mix of emotions to Ash -- a bittersweet mixture of sadness interlaced with... well, she wasn't really sure anymore. Could you actually still love someone that you hadn't talked to in four years?

For her, when it came to him, she suspected that the answer was a resounding yes.

She didn't open the letter quite yet. Instead, she dropped it to the floor beside her, and then she resumed rummaging through the drawer and what do you know -- more letters. Ones addressed to her from him, and a few that she'd written addressed to him. You know, those letters that she'd written and sent, and had just assumed that Ryder had just... moved on and never responded.

"Dad?"

Ash nearly jumped out of her skin at the sound of her brother's voice, and she poked her head over the desk. "God, Jace," she said as she closed the drawer with one hand while simultaneously grabbing the stack of letters with her other and sliding them into the waistband of her pajama pants -- because Jace was a bit of a tattletale, and Ash wasn't going to hand these letters back over willingly. "You scared the hell out of me."

"What're you doing here?"

"Looking for a lighter," Ash openly admitted, although she now knew that even with weed clouding her senses, there was no way that she was going to sleep anytime soon. "Can't find one, though... did dad stop 'secretly' smoking?" She asked, with finger quotes, of course.

"Nah, he probably just got better about hiding it."

"Yeah, you're probably right..." she trailed off, pausing for a beat, before asking; "Hey, would you mind umm... like can you give me and Monty a ride to the umm... the bar tomorrow? I... well, we don't have a car, and umm... well, I lost my license, so..."

Jace sighed, and she recognized the expression on his face all too well -- disappointment. How original. "Yeah, I... yeah, fine. Ash are you... are you okay?"

She scoffed. "God, yeah, duh, I'm amazing," she said with a dismissive wave of her hand before she shut off the desk lamp and in the dark, made her way over to the door of her dad's office. "It's late, though, we should..." she faked a yawn, "you know... get to bed. Long day tomorrow."

"Right... sure..." Jace mumbled as Ash walked out of the office and headed up the stairs to her bedroom.

She was quiet as she stepped inside, carefully closing the door behind her. Her hand then went to the letters still secured in her waistband and pulled them out. For a moment, Ash just stared down at the letters -- at her name, written in his handwriting, and she contemplated just throwing them away as her eyes lifted up to her boyfriend's sleeping figure. Because throwing them out would be the smart thing to do.

Ash had always been terrible at making the right decision.

Not wanting to wake Monty, she headed over to the adjoined bathroom and closed the door before switching on the lights. She made sure that her gaze avoided the bathroom mirror, though, because she hated seeing her reflection. The short hair, the clothes that hung loosely on her withering frame, the gaunt cheeks and darkened eyes. It was like looking at a stranger -- and for a while, she could hide the effects of her choices under layers of makeup and fake smiles, but now... now it was damn near impossible.

She sank to the floor and dropped all but one letter to the floor beside her.

With shaky fingers, Ash broke open the seal and pulled out the letter. As she read, her lips twitched back into a small smile. And then she dropped that one to her other side, and picked up the next. And the next.

There weren't many, and they all had the same general idea.

Ryder had missed her and he had wanted to get back together with her, as much as she had wanted to get back with him.

By the last letter, she could barely see the words through misty eyes. So she gathered them up, again contemplating whether or not to toss them, but decided against it -- instead, carrying them back into her bedroom, where she slipped them into the little drawer on her vanity table.

Finally, Ash crawled back into bed, and this time, sleep took hold in moments.

-----------------​

"Just orange juice?"

"Yeah," Ash said, her voice nasally thanks to the tissue that she had pressed against her nose. She hadn't managed to sleep long before she'd woken up to an all too familiar nosebleed, which had stained her face and pillow. "Unless you wanna add a couple shots of whiskey to that...?"

Steve sent a glare in his daughter's direction before he finished pouring her glass. "No, Ash," he stated simply, clearly not impressed with his daughter's joke, before he came over with his coffee in one hand and her juice in the other.

"Oh lighten up, it was just a joke." Ash responded as she took a sip of the juice before setting it down on the table beside her.

(It wasn't.)

"I know, I know," he answered, a warm smile on his face. "It's good to have you two back, you know that? Like we're ahh... we're a family again. Well, a family plus your boyfriends." He added the last part with a bit of distaste, and Ash wasn't sure if it was from disapproval of her or Jace's choice in men, or if it was simply because Steve was disappointed in both of them for what they'd chosen.

"Yeah, it's... great," she said, quietly, before she decided to just rip off the band-aid. "Hey dad, why umm... why did you have like... why were Ryder's letters in your desk?"

Steve remained calm, taking his time in answering her question -- and every second that stretched on in silence was like hell to her.

"Why were you in my desk?"

"That's not important."

"Ashton, I've told you about--"

"Would you stop avoiding and just tell me?" She snapped. "Why didn't I get those and why didn't mine get sent?"

Silence again, and Ash was nearly ready to lose it.

"I didn't want you making a mistake," Steve began, his words slow and carefully drafted. "If you'd gotten those, you wouldn't have left. You would've ended up staying here, or... following wherever the hell he was going. I wanted you... listen, Ash, I was gonna give them to you after a while. After you'd be in Los Angeles for a bit, but then you were dating Lucky, and I didn't see the point after that." His gaze, which had been focused on the coffee in his cup, finally lifted to meet Ash's gaze. "I didn't want you ending up... pregnant and stuck in a marriage or something. I didn't want you ending up like your mother and I... Are you mad?"

She was quiet.

"I don't know," she murmured.

"Well, listen," Steve continued as he stood up from the table with coffee cup in hand. "I think it was good for the both of you. If you'd really loved him, you wouldn't have moved onto Lucky so fast, you know?" He walked away towards the sink, but Ash's vacant gaze was still glued to his chair. "And the both of you are adults now, so this is something the two of you can just... laugh about. The dumb letters you sent each other when you were dumb kids."

He was chuckling, as if this was all some kind of joke.

The sound of him coming back over finally caused Ash's gaze to drag itself up to meet his.

"I've gotta go to work," he said, his hand coming down to rest on his shoulder. "Listen, Ash... I know you're probably upset, but you'll understand one day when you have kids of your own." He leaned down, pressing a kiss to the top of her head, and then started to walk away. "And Ash," he called back over his shoulder. "You should really get those nosebleeds checked out."

"Yeah, maybe," Ash mumbled.

"Hey, promise me you will?"

"Yeah... yeah, I promise."

"Great," he smiled back at his daughter. "I'll see you later."

She nodded her head, waiting until he'd left to pull the tissue away from her nose.

At least it had stopped bleeding.

No reason in going to the doctor when she knew what the cause was, though.

-------------------​

Getting to the bar couldn't come fast enough. Ash and Monty had (naturally) pre-gamed prior to coming, which basically just meant that they'd smoked some weed, much to Jace's disgust. Upon seeing his sister come out to the car with squinted, red eyes, he'd asked if she was high, to which she'd given the greatest comeback of all time -- "no, you're high" -- which probably would've held more weight if she hadn't then proceeded to struggle with opening the door to the backseat of his car.

But now that they were here, well... god, Ash was glad, and she wasted no time in moving away from her brother and his boyfriend with her fingers laced through Monty's. Her gaze scanned the bar, picking out the people that she recognized, and it felt as if... some kind of just like... rock dropped into her stomach. She hated seeing all these people -- it's half the reason she'd moved across the country.

Her lips were pressed into a frown that lightened up a bit when she saw that Tabitha had actually arrived.

"Hey, ummm..." she blinked up at her boyfriend, giving him an apologetic smile. "Listen, I'm so sorry, but ummm... I'm supposed to get drinks with Tabitha, and... I'm pretty she's still really pissed at me, so like... listen, let me go hangout with her for a few, and then I'll come get you, alright?" Ash promised, although she doubted that she would need to do such a thing -- Monty kind of...

Well, he was good at finding people to hangout with, she guessed.

She pressed a quick goodbye kiss to his lips, and then headed over to the bar, where she hopped into the seat next to Tabitha.

"Hey," she said, her voice needlessly breathy as she leaned against the counter, attention momentarily pulled from Tabitha as she waited for her favorite bartender to stop by -- and when she finally did get Lucky's attention, a huge smile spread across her face. "Hey, Luck, could you just, like... ya know, just like give me the whole bottle of vodka?" She asked hopefully, although she already knew what the answer was gonna be.

“So, it’s gonna be one of those nights, eh?” He mused as he pulled the bottle of vodka from the shelf. “Best I can do is a double, Blair.”

Ash huffed, pulling the glass closer towards her. "Fine," she mumbled. "Put it on, like, Jace's tab or something. He said he'd pay."

(He hadn't.)

Once Lucky had moved on, Ash turned in her barstool to face Tabitha.

..... Fuck.

She hadn't really thought this far -- like what she was supposed to say to her and shit.

Sorry for your loss was apparently off the table, and Ash wasn't really sure if she should broach the whole hey, sorry for sleeping with your ex. Because she'd thought really hard on how to make that up to Tabitha, but the only thing she could think of was that Tabitha slept with, like, her boyfriend or Ryder, and, well, Ash wasn't alright with one of those options, so she decided to bite her tongue.

"Hey," she repeated. "So... Yale huh?"
coded by natasha.

Jace West
yellow

the bar
fuckin THRIVING
snazzy
interactions

Alex jazzyball jazzyball Aiden gingersnaps gingersnaps
Leaving Port Vera had, truly, been the greatest thing to ever happen to Jace.

When he'd first stepped into New York Jace had felt, for the first time ever, like he actually belonged somewhere. And it certainly helped that he had his best friend, Elijah, alongside him when they'd entered the huge city with no jobs and no plans.

Sure, Jace was still trying to adjust the idea that he'd never become a published singer, but he was also... well, he'd found that he was strangely alright with that. Because he'd discovered that he could contribute to the music world and keep himself happy in different ways. Working at the music store, helping kids out who had that same, bright-eyed wonder in their eyes that he'd had at their age.

It was, surprisingly, all he really wanted now.

And then he'd met Alex, and Jace (finally) got his first boyfriend, and finally felt as if his life was starting. And Alex was great, amazing -- and sure, they'd only been dating for a few months, so Jace had worried if it'd be a little early to bring him back home to meet his parents, but... well, Ash was bringing hers, and Jace figured Alex had to be a million times better than whatever she brought home, so why not?

Being home was--

Well, it wasn't as great as Jace had thought it would be. But he was still beyond thrilled to be able to show Alex where he had come from, and hey, Jace's parents had... kind of... taken a liking to their son's boyfriend. Although, well, neither of Jace's parents had really gotten used to the idea of their son being gay, although they seemed to have accepted it at the very least -- after all, Jace was allowed home, so that was cool.

Now, though, they'd just arrived to the bar. Ash and her boyfriend, both clearly not sober, made their way in ahead of Jace and Alex.

"Sorry about... her," Jace said as he walked around the car to Alex's side, locking it behind him. A pleasant smile was on his face as he took Alex's hand in his and, even if it'd been a bit, there was still a bit of a skip to his heart whenever he got to take Alex's hand, or kiss him, or anything else. "Come on, let's go see people before they all get really drunk and... aggressive or something." He explained as he led Alex into the pub. "I swear everyone in this town had anger issues. We used to jokingly have Murder Mondays because there'd be so many fights. Very scary."

Jace hesitated as he held the door open, letting Alex in first and then following him.

"Ummm... I didn't participate. In Murder Monday." He explained, clearing his throat awkwardly as he glanced around at the people that were already there. "Alright ummm... let's see..."he pointed towards the bar, "so that's Lucky. He's friends with Ash and they dated for a while, so you know that means he sucks. The other bartender's Mason. He had a kid when he was in like middle school. Very irresponsible. And then we've got ahh.... that's Raven. She acts like a hoe, but I don't think she actually gets laid that much, and ummm...."

A frown appeared on his face as he pointed at a different dude. "That's Ryder and he's the biggest dick here. One time he got mad at me, so he lifted me up by my collar and threatened to beat my ass. I didn't even do anything." There was still a look of disgust on his face, which softened a bit when he pointed to a blonde. "And then Tabitha, and she basically ahh... well, okay, so, her brother just ODed and died. So sad. Anyway, we're supposed to be doing a wake for him here or something." He shrugged.

With his hand still holding Alex's, he started farther into the bar, and their wandering soon brought him to where the food was and--

"Aiden," Jace said with a smile. "Hey Alex, this is Aiden," he pointed at the boy, "and he was my first kiss back in high school. But he really hated it or something because he'd kind of," -- Jace attempted to mimic the expression, but since Aiden was doing such a good job, he just pointed at him instead -- "that. He did that right there, so we never dated or talked again after that."

"How're you doing?"
coded by natasha.

Last edited:

Niamh

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

• home (filler tab)

Harry Styles

Kiwi

It was almost dusk, and as the sun lowered the streets grew busier.

Shops were nearing their final close before the holiday, encouraging the last-minute and the forgetful to guiltily scamper for tomorrow’s dinner.

Niamh was somewhat relieved to be exempt from the clamour of it all; but then the afterthought of where she would actually be spending her Thanksgiving occurred.

Spending the holiday with your boyfriend’s baby mom and company?

Not ideal.

It was happening, though, and there was nothing that could be done. She resigned herself to forgetting about it for as long as she could.

“No, don’t tell her that! She’s a fucking cow, that’s why I don’t talk to her.”

She waltzed through the pockets of people, phone pressed to her ear, her sister on the other end of the line.

“If Mom gave two shits she could come and speak to me herself. And even then, she’d get told where to go shove her fake fucking concern. That woman needs a lobotomy.”

There was a small crowd outside the bar, some of which Niamh recognised. She offered a polite smile and a small wave, swiftly swinging the door to the pub open and dipping inside.

“Uh-huh… haaa! Just go to Aunt Lisabeth’s, she makes a good turkey. Listen, I’ll call you tomorrow, okay? I’m going for a drink. Yeah, I’ve got to go – yeah, yeah, I’ll tell him. Alright. Bye, bye, bye.”

Niamh dropped her phone into her jacket pocket. She felt an undercurrent of guilt for Milly, left to fend for herself amongst their shit-house parents. Unless that lobotomy came soon, there was no way they were releasing their grip on her.

The place was buzzing with excited chit-chat and the low bass of music. There was a warm atmosphere; it was actually quite pleasant. Mason would be pleased; Lucky… she had a harder time deciphering.

She made a beeline to the bar.

“Hey, lady.” she greeted Ari, placing her purse on the bar top. The girl barely glanced up from her phone, her legs dangling idly from the barstool she sat on.

Niamh stalled for a moment, holding her smile for one awkward second too many. It had been two years since she was introduced to Ari, and she had probably managed to spend only half of that time with her without the kid’s eyes glued to a cell. At least she put it down to eat. Sometimes.

“Hey, you.” She spoke as Mason arrived from the other end of the bar, a wet glass and a towel in his hands. She leaned over the counter, pressing a quick kiss to his cheek. She’s sure Ari would have groaned, had she taken a second to look up.

“I would just love a glass of the usual, please and thank you. You can put it on my tab.” She added with a smirk. Lucky could bitch about it later.

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:
Brody Jesson
marry me

ring store
nervous but great
a shirt for once
interactions

Amy Kitsune2202 Kitsune2202
"Amy Jones," Justin started, heart clearly thudding in his chest as bystanders all around paused to glance over at the pair. "I've been in love you since ahh... since the first time I pretended you were my girlfriend to piss off some girl I banged once." Slowly, he lowered himself to one knee, and dramatically pulled the ring box from his pocket, popping it open.

"Would you... marry me?"

Justin, on one knee, looked up at his best friend, batting his eyelashes in hope that she'd say yes.

A smile cracked across his face, followed by a laugh, as he closed the ring box and shook his head, pushing himself back up from the floor before placing the ring box on the counter beside him.

"Yeah, I dunno," he said as he leaned against the glass, his fingers drumming on the counter top as he stared down at the rings that were glistening back up at him. "Like... I mean, it's okay, but I don't know if it's really Josie, ya know? Like -- okay -- if you were a small blonde Christian girl, what kind of ring would you like? Maybe ahh.... do you have like Jesus jewels? Is that some shit? Some blessed stone?"

Listen, Justin's family had never been super religious, so he wasn't really sure how the whole... proposal... or well... listen, he'd just started going to church on Sundays with Josie -- and it wasn't like he'd learned much so far. It was boring, and he had trouble trying to imagine a life with a girl that was consistently wrapped up in a community that caused Justin to sit and scratch his head a majority of the time.

"Ah, whatever, I'm not buying today, anyway. But hey, thanks for your time," he said to the store attendant who was clearly not pleased with Justin wasting his time. He then gestured with a tilt of his head towards Amy, and the two of them headed out of the store and back into the frigid cold of a beautiful November evening in Maryland.

"Elena's gonna make me one," Justin explained. "But I'm supposed to know what I want, so I figured ya know... checking out some at stores -- not a bad idea, right?"
coded by natasha.

Josephine Burkhart

Duboi's pub
oh no
interactions

Juni, Carter, Elijah
Cactus Cactus

“I just don’t want you to overdo it. Mom and I put the flour, spices, cookie cutters— if you wanted to do designs, I don’t know, on the lower shelves—“

“Joey,”

“I labeled the cinnamon because you never wear your glasses, last year was a mess because you used chili powder instead and—“

“Josie,”

“Grammy coughed for twenty minutes straight, we thought she was gonna asphyxiate! I already preheated the oven, the dough is rising but under the blue towel, not the pink— that dough’s for the bread—“

“Josephine,” John repeated her name for the third time but louder, halting the blonde’s rant.

“I had a heart attack, I’m not senile.” He wasn’t nearly old enough to go senile, but his attempt at lightening the mood had Josie’s shoulders sinking.

“Dad,”

“I promise I’m okay, I-I-In fact I’m ecstatic! I get an entire day with my grandson and tomorrow… go on, tell me what we’re doing tomorrow.”

“Don’t leave me hangin’ Jo.” His hand up in the air, awaiting a high five.

“We’re eating turkey,” Josephine said dejectedly, but the hint of a smile played on her lips as she lazily pressed her hand against his.

The holidays were big with her family– very big. Things had dimmed down quite a bit without Juniper around. Since her sister was back in town with her nephew in tow, the excitement had returned and it was evident in her father’s face.

“We’re eating turkey!” He repeated.

Her father’s excitement was enough to settle her worries about his health. Which was a big stress factor for all three girls in the Burkhart family. She’d consider Juniper returning a blessing if it wasn’t for the reason behind her visit.

“Justin’s coming?”

Justin, her boyfriend of two years– and… only boyfriend she’s ever had, not that Josie was complaining. She was impatient through high school about when she’d get her own love story, but Josephine was glad she was patient.

They just worked.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure? We haven’t talked much about it.”

“If he doesn’t– more turkey for us.”

“Unless she decides she’s vegetarian this year,” A lighter voice spoke and John laughed at her comment. Mary, her mother was the more… strict parent out of the two.

But her mother’s religious views had overshadowed a lot of her personality, many people didn’t truly know Mary Burkhart– just how serious she was about her faith. She wasn’t horrible contrary to popular belief.

“I was seven and I would’ve been fine if Juni didn’t tell me the horror story behind our dinner.”

Her sister was a sore subject around her family, especially her mother.

Mary had suddenly gone quiet and grabbed a tote-bag from the pantry, filling it with the extra thanksgiving necessitates she’d bought for Charlotte, the woman in charge of tomorrow’s veterans care fundraiser.

“Are you… going out?” Josie asked, hoping that Mary would stick around long enough for Juniper to arrive. She was dropping off Reese to stay overnight. Josephine would rather that her mother and sister settled their tension today instead of tomorrow. “I think Mrs. Preston could wait until tomorrow to–”

“I told her I’d bring them tonight,” Mary interjected.

“Mom, you can’t just… pretend like she doesn’t exist. She’s coming over tomor–”

“Lovely, who could forget when you remind them eighteen times, I’ll deal with her tomorrow.”

“Mare,” John said, placing two hands on top of Josephine’s shoulders. “John,” Mary warned, starting to lose her patience.

Both Burkharts knew better than to argue with her and Mary knew them all too well. Mary affectionately put a hand on his shoulder and paused at Josie, her gaze softening.

“I’m–”

“Just trying to help, I know, Jojo.” Her mother brushed a few strands of hair out of her face. “I’ll be home later tonight.” Mary said and exited the kitchen, footsteps retracting into the hallway and they waited until the front door closed before Josie and John exchanged looks.

“Thanksgiving is going to be a disaster,” Her father said, gaining a disappointed glare from Josie. “Don’t say that, June’s gonna try, Mom’s gonna try, everyone’s going to try–”

“To be a family?”

“Mhm… play the heart attack card, Dad.”

“Josephine May, are you trying to manipulate your family?”

A hand hovered over her chest where a golden cross necklace was conveniently placed and she shook her head, walking backwards out of the kitchen.

“Of course not!”

**✿❀○❀✿**

The little pitter-patters on the wooden floor had indicated Juniper had arrived a tad earlier than planned and she was nowhere near ready, but Josephine wasn’t going all out anyway… It was just a get-together with some friends and a wake for Tabitha’s brother, rest his soul.

It was nice to get quality time with her older sister before she…

Well, Josephine had no idea if Juniper was planning on staying, but she hoped she did. She didn’t want to influence her either way– it was entirely her choice to stay. She knew her sister wouldn’t want to deal with the rumors that were already circling.

Since nobody had heard of a marriage. They assumed she had a one night stand at college and it resulted in an unwanted pregnancy. Of course, nobody had voiced their thoughts to Josie, but she’d overheard some talk at church after service and it infuriated her.

She wished she could’ve said something. But Josie wouldn’t have the first clue of what she’d even say.

The blonde overlooked her appearance in the mirror. A shrug reaching her shoulders. “That’s the best you’re gonna get it,” Josie spoke aloud, catching sight of the matted teddy bear that sat perfectly in the middle of her bed.

Her room had never changed. The light pink walls, white vanity, chipped headboard and the endless amount of Taylor Swift posters that were hung up near the closet was the same as it’s always been– always as in since she was fifteen.

“I know I’m talking to myself. Don’t give me that look.” Josie talking to her inanimate objects had become somewhat of a thing over the… last twelve years.

And Juniper was right.

Bernard was great company. He had the inability to argue.

“I see some things don’t change.”

The voice had startled Josie and she flinched, turning around to narrow her eyes at her older sister playfully. “Don’t,” Josephine warned and Juniper put her hands up in defense.

“Reese is already with Dad, so whenever you’re ready, if you wanna… finish up that conversation, go right ah–”

“We’re leaving, Dad!” Josephine yelled as she made her way downstairs.

**✿❀○❀✿**

Josephine knew she was blind to most of the innuendos. But there was absolutely no way she was crazy. Riggs Bonilla was crazy about Juniper. She knew about their… meet-cute run in. It was something straight out of a rom-com.

It’s not that she didn’t approve… Juniper was always smart enough to make her own decisions and Josie would support her either way. “There’s nothing secret about your secret admirer and you know it!” She lowered the radio and looked over while her older sister drove.

“I know I’m not very experienced… but isn’t it… a little… awkward to be back in town? Have you talked to Carter yet?” Carter was the father of Juniper’s son, Reese. But nobody knew that besides Josie, Lucky and Tabitha.

Of course, the three of them haven’t said anything to Carter. Josie wasn’t very close with him anyway. They’d just bump into each other at Church and he’d occasionally ask about Juni. It was a shame about his discharge from the military, but she was happy that he made it home safe.

She knew Juni was too.

“You could meet Justin tonight too!”

They had a brief run-in at the hospital last week, but tonight was a perfect way to get her sister and boyfriend a little more acquainted before thanksgiving tomorrow. It was best to get the introductions out of the way so she could focus on playing damage control between Juniper and Mary.

Fingers crossed she wouldn’t have to…

“But I absolutely forbid any young, embarrassing Josie stories, he has so much on me already.” Even Josephine knew that her sister was unlikely to honor that promise– well, she was unlikely to make the promise in the first place.

Juniper would probably say something along the lines of; “it’s my job to embarrass you” but Joey was going to pretend like she wasn’t a total dork. Though, after a two year relationship that became tough to hide.

There wasn’t much Justin didn’t know about her already.

Josephine was sure that she knew less about herself than he did.

**✿❀○❀✿**

She’s been here quite a few times– even though Josie didn’t drink… the bar was owned by her only cousin.

Josie didn’t attend for the free drinks– it was more so for the company. Justin had drank from time to time and spending time with Lucky was always entertaining.

Josie didn’t have many friends, outside of the church, work, and her own hobbies… she didn’t have much to do.

Justin and Lucky had gotten along well enough, but not good enough for her cousin to waive his tab.

The fairy lights that hung around the bar had given the place a soft scenery. The music playing in the background, the many people in the bar– many people that Josie knew. Not very well, though in a town like this it was rare not to know someone’s name.

Carter approached the two and Josephine glanced over at Juniper to gauge how she felt.

"Joey.."

“Carter,” Josie said, curtsying to lighten the mood from his formal greeting. His eyes flickered over to her older sister and he paused. "Juni. Hi, you look nice."

Josephine’s gaze bounced from Carter to her sister continuously before deciding to excuse herself. “I’m gonna get a drink…” She offered a smile to Carter and passed by him, giving Juniper a thumbs up behind his back.

Mouthing the words; you’ve got this!

Before Josie even approached the bar, the drink was already there with a napkin underneath and she muttered a thank you to her cousin before he magically disappeared to serve another customer.

She had a very… interesting drink order– it wasn’t unheard of, but others would look at her in a peculiar way when they heard seltzer water and olives together.

There weren’t many people she’d talk to here– or… well, there weren't many people here that’d be interested in talking with Josie. So, her plan was to simply land at a booth Juni would be able to join her in when she finished her not-at-all awkward conversation with Carter.

Upon turning around in search for said table, Josephine had bumped into someone, successfully spilling her cold, olive-scented drink all over them.

“Ohmylanta, I’m so, so sorry, here I’ll–” The blonde used the singular napkin she had to attempt to pat him dry, her actions slowing when she noticed who it was.

Elijah Mayne.

Josephine’s first crush. Of course, it didn’t go anywhere because he was a senior and she was a freshman but that didn’t stop her from dreaming.

“Uh… sorry, sorry, Lucky, could we get some nap–”

Lucky wasn’t here.

Josephine had realized she didn't remove her hands on his chest and she had quickly retracted, the napkin slowly drifting to the floor as the door to the entrance opened and a newcomer had stepped on top of it. The cold breeze that flew into the bar was probably worse for him than it was her.

“I’m… so sorry.”
coded by natasha.

Drake Martin
city of angels

the bar
haha....
a jacket
interactions

Shannon KingofAesir KingofAesir
He pressed his forehead against the wall, letting the hot water wash over him.

Drake knew that if he looked down, the water would currently be running nearly black -- kind of happened when you only showered every couple weeks or so, what could he say?

His eyes opened back up and stepped back out of the direct spray of water. His hand reached over to the bottle of shampoo he'd managed to snag from someone's gym locker, and he set about washing the grime and grease from his hair, and the rest of him.

Once he'd finished up, he stepped out of the shower, quickly drying off with a towel he'd snagged from the pool, and then changing into his clothes that hadn't been properly washed in... forever. There were stains and grime he couldn't get out of them, but he typically did his best -- by, well... so he'd take the clothes into the shower with him, scrub 'em up, rinse 'em out, and then there were these spinny things that you were supposed to put your swimsuits into to dry them real quick.

Worked just find for your every day clothes, too, he'd learned.

Jeans, a raggedy old t-shirt with some faded Nirvana logo, and then a leather jacket he'd stolen from someone a while back to finish off the look.

His hand ruffled his dark hair as he made his way back out to the gym lockers, where he popped open his and started rummaging through it. Usually, he left the majority of his stuff here, with that trash bag that Mason had sent him out with balled up underneath his few remaining possessions -- a couple shirts, a second pair of jeans, a deck of playing cards, and... well, that was about it, actually.

Drake had pawned off most of his shit.

He glanced over, to where some dude had left his shit out as he'd headed out of the locker room for whatever reason. Drake glanced around, and then he stepped over, rummaging through the pockets of the guy's jeans and--

Bingo.

The dumbass's wallet.

He heard a door open, and he quickly returned to his locker, placing the wallet inside as the guy came back inside, with a little boy following after him.

"Hey, hey, hey," the guy, who couldn't have been much older than Drake, called to the kid. "Hey, Caleb, you gotta wait while I put myself away, alright? Just sit down for a minute and we'll head to the pool."

"Your kid?" Drake asked, eyes shifting from the guy to Caleb.

The man looked over at him, giving a laugh and a nod of his head. "Yeah... lotta people think he's my little brother, but..." he reached over, ruffling the kid's hair. "He's all mine."

"Oh, yeah," Drake said. "Yeah, my brother... he used to get that a lot, too, when his kid was little. Had her ahh... had her in high school."

"No kidding? Yeah, my girl got pregnant with Caleb senior year."

"Cool, well, good luck, man." Drake said.

"Yeah, you, too." He said as he closed up the locker, and then started to head towards the pool.

Fuck.

"Hey, man," Drake said, and held up the wallet. "I ah... I think you dropped this."

"Oh shit, did I? Fuck -- thanks," the guy hurried back over, taking the wallet from Drake with a smile. "Would've been really fucked if I had. Thanks."

"Yeah, yeah, no problem," he answered as he closed the door to his locker and, after attaching his lock, he headed out of the locker room with his hands in the pockets of his jackets, and his stomach grumbling angrily.

Well, there went dinner.

He started to head out of the gym, but ended up bumping into some guy. After a couple apologies, an awkward laugh or two, and Drake was on his way once more -- and once he'd rounded a corner was out of eyesight, he produced the wallet that he'd snatched out of the idiot's back pocket.

Thankfully, there was a twenty in there, which Drake quickly slid into his pocket, before he pulled out the guy's credit card. The rest of the wallet was tossed casually into a trash can as he made a beeline for the nearest vending machine.

(Yeah, those things had cards now -- fucking nice, right?)

He slid the card, buying himself a bag of chips and some juice on the fella's dime, and, with his dinner now in hand, Drake tossed the card into the trash, too, and headed out of the gym and started the trek towards the pub.

By time he arrived, his chips and the juice were gone, and tossed on the sidewalk somewhere along the way -- 'cause Drake was a fucking bad boy who littered and shit now.

"Hey, fuckhead," Drake called as he stepped into the bar and leaned against the bar top, glaring at his brother as Mason came to stop in front of him. "I got money and shit this time, so... get me a fuckin' beer."

"What do you say?" Mason deadpanned.

"I say get me my fuck-- okay, okay, okay," Drake's tune quickly changed as his brother started to walk. He huffed, pulling the twenty he'd scored earlier out of his pocket and placing it on the countertop. "Please get me a fuckin' beer."

As Mason placed a beer in front of him, he picked up the twenty, eyebrow cocked up. "Who'd you steal from this time? You fake workin' at a charity again? More card tricks?"

"A thief never reveals his tricks, dickhead," he said, flipping Mason off as he stepped back from the bar. "Keep the change."

God, he was a good brother sometimes.

Drake's gaze traveled across the bar people that had shown up. He... didn't talk to any of them anymore, so there was kind of a frown on his face as he took a sip from his bottle of beer, quietly contemplating who to go annoy. And then...

"Oh, what do you know," he said as he sauntered over and leaned against the table that Shannon fucking Whitten was seated at. "Surprised you didn't combust or some shit, steppin' your good girl ass over into a bar. Doesn't this go against what you believe in or some shit? Ya know, fuck drugs and shit." He snorted, sipping his beer, a smug look on his face. "You look like shit by the way."

(She didn't.)
coded by natasha.

scroll

The Musician

Elijah.

mood

Stressed

outfit

casual

His Fathers & DuBois' Pub

interactions

Allan | Josephine

tags

"Dad, I'm going to a bar. There would be no point in me bringing my own alcohol, would it?"

Elijah answered his father stressed, trying to find a lighter before he leaves. He had never been one for keeping track of time, always fashionably late as his mother used to say.

"Please, quit the smoking."

Allan said locking his eyes on to Elijah's, eventually slipping him an old lighter in to his front pocket.

"You haven't changed much."

He mumbled back with an unlit cigarette firmly between his lips.

His father's house was located within walking distance from Mason's and Lucky's bar, in less than ten minutes he'd have to fake a smile and pretend to be interested in the familiar faces' lives. He did find it rather odd to host a wake at DuBois', a place where he usually came to forget about this thing called death. He'd spent countless nights at this bar trying to cope with the loss of his mother. Maybe he'd felt different had he known the boy who passed away.
It's not that he didn't enjoy these sort of gatherings, he just has too much to do back in New York before the release of his debut album. The music would have to wait as he couldn't bring himself to leave his father alone on thanksgiving. Luckily for them it's game day for the New York Rangers tomorrow, the purest form of father and son quality time Elijah could think of.

Elijah couldn't help but notice all the different memories scattered across Port Vera on his way to the friendsgiving. For a moment, he could see silhouettes of himself and his friends running around the empty streets laughing. A light chuckle escaped together with the smoke from his lungs. Underneath his feet the crushed autumn leaves followed him down the slope towards the bar.
He didn't look forward to hearing everyone's success stories as he struggled to get by, day by day. Living with his best friend Jace in New York is more than fun, but maybe not what you expect out of a 25-year-old.

"Got a record deal yet? Still single? Bought an apartment?"
He just doesn't want to listen to everyone's bullshit questions that they already know the answers to.

His cigarette came to an end as the music in his ears began to fade away, just in time for his arrival at DuBois'.

"Here we go again."

He said to himself as he tossed the cigarette on to the ground.

When the doors opened he was met by a lot of distant conversations, unable to distinguish them from each other. Eager to quench his thirst he walked over to the bar, avoiding eye contact at all costs. He figured he'd hide in the shadows until the night was over, on his own he was safe from the others judgement. At least he didn't have to listen to it.

"I'll have any be—"

Elijah's order was quickly interrupted by Josephine spilling her extraordinary drink all over him.
A quiet shit could be heard leaving his mouth as he tried to recognize the girl responsible for this mess. He tried to get any sort of eye contact with her before he finally realized who it was.

"Josephine?!"

He asked with excitement letting out a chuckle, almost immediately forgetting about the drink she had spilled on him.
Elijah knew Josie from high school and via common friends, even though she's a few years younger than him he shares a couple of good memories with her.

"Josie, calm down. It's okay, really."

Elijah told the obviously embarrassed and nervous Josephine.
His eyes shifted focus to the napkins by the bar as he grabbed a handful and began patting himself dry.

"I should thank you, now I won't have to hug all these people in here."

He said with a half smile still trying to get his hoodie dry.

"So please, tell me. What are you up to?"

Elijah asked obviously implying the boring questions and small talk that seems to happen at these events.

♡coded by uxie♡

scroll

cinnamon girl

Tabitha Cohen

mood

Tired.

outfit

Casual

DuBois Pub

interactions

Ash

tags

Tabitha quietly set her drink down (the one Mason had so kindly poured for her, so her and Lucky wouldn’t have to interact this early in the night), watching Ash’s erratic arrival.

“Short hair” Tabitha regarded, only in her mind. “Looks good on her. Whore.”

Her response to Ash’s breathy greeting was a nod and a slight raise of her glass. There was something else different about her, other than the new haircut. Tabitha couldn’t quite place it. But then again, it had been years. And given that some of those years were spent avoiding any and all mention of Ashton West as much as humanly possible, maybe her brain just filled in the wrong gaps.

Tabitha turned away from the bartender as Ash called him over. Not yet. She wasn’t ready to face him yet. Seeing him through the phone was hard enough. Seeing him talk to Ash? She hadn’t even drank anything, and she was ready to puke.

“So, it’s gonna be one of those nights, eh?” He mused as he pulled the bottle of vodka from the shelf. “Best I can do is a double, Blair.”

Tabitha bit her lip as she heard them talk. It’d be a lie to say it didn’t sting a little, seeing how close they still were, while she could barely stand to look either person in the face.Lucky and Ash had been friends for years, it wasn’t fair to compare but…she couldn’t help it. It made Tabitha feel even more like a stranger in her hometown.

Now, Ash was finally looking at her. The tension was palpable in the other girl, and who could blame her? The last time they had any sort of proper conversation, Tabitha was likely yelling and calling her names, and while she definitely thinks it was justified, it probably didn’t make Ash excited for this encounter.

Well, that’s her fault for setting it up.

Tabitha took a long sip of her drink, watching Ash struggle with choosing a conversation starter.

“Hey,” The blonde girl repeated herself “So…Yale, huh?”

Tabitha just blinked, letting the tense silence fill the space

“Yeah. I showed you the acceptance letter. 4 years ago. That shouldn’t be shocking news to you, West.” Tabitha looked at her, unimpressed and unamused “If you mean to ask how it was,Yale was just fucking great. It was lovely to leave it behind to come babysit my moribund mother.”

Tapping against her glass she sighed, eye bags underneath her eyes dark and deep. She blinked slowly at Ash.

“You didn't have a plan for this little meet-up, did you, Ashton?” She questioned, the answer plain in the other girl’s expression “I’ll bet you didn't even think I was showing up. Fuck, I really almost didn't. But even this trainwreck of a conversation should be better than staying home with those two...people.”

Tabitha took a long sip of her drink. If she was going to have this conversation with Ash, she might as well have it drunk.

"Plus, I figured your awkwardness could be sort of entertaining." A scoff left her lips "Like, what's she going to apologize for first? The ex-fucking? The dead brother? The dying mother?Tabitha drank again. She knew she sounded bitter, but she didn't care. She was.

"And I thought you said you were paying, not your brother.”

♡coded by uxie♡
[/borde

Last edited:

ryder

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

• home (filler tab)

arctic monkeys

why'd you only call me when you're high

Port Vera was the world's best flytrap. Even though Ryder had left to serve in the military for five years, he still found himself back in his hometown, and not just for the holidays. Even AJ, who hated Port Vera with a passion he didn't quite understand, was back in Port Vera for a little while.

While he hadn't been as desperate to get out of Port Vera as his sister, he'd always imagined himself living somewhere else. At one point in his life he'd imagined himself moving out of state with Ash. Instead, he'd joined the military and traveled to another continent, and going days without shelter really made you appreciate the comforts of home. Even if that home was filled with former classmates you'd rather avoid.

One classmate Ryder didn't want to avoid was Amy. It was pure luck that he'd decided to get a late start on college at the same school as her, and even more lucky that his laptop had crashed while she was working the IT desk.

Ash had been Ryder's only real girlfriend before joining the army, so naturally he was nervous asking out a girl after being surrounded by mostly men for the last five years. But Amy was sweet and kind and incredibly witty.

Their relationship was still new, but Ryder felt comfortable with Amy. She was understanding of his baggage and that he wasn't ready to jump into something serious just yet, their relationship was fun and playful and Ryder felt like maybe things were finally settling down in his life.

The news that Ash was going to be in town for Thanksgiving rattled his false sense of security like a hurricane. It had been five years since he'd seen her or talked to her, he thought he was over her, he should've been over her. But as it turned out, he wasn't completely over his ex.

It sent him for a spiral. He was happy with Amy. Wasn't he? They never fought and always had a good time together. Maybe it was just the shock of potentially seeing his ex for the first time since they'd broken up. Or maybe....he actually missed Ash. Ryder had never been in a stable relationship before, was he starting to get bored of Amy or was the consistency of a stable relationship just something he wasn't used to? His relationship with Ash had been much more exciting, but not always in a good way. They'd had lots of ups and downs, and with Amy everything was smooth sailing.

He tried to ignore the wave of self-doubt and second guessing that crashed over him, focusing instead on picking out a decent outfit for the bar. Of course, today of all days Justin had asked Amy to go ring shopping with him for Josie. It wasn't so much that another man had asked his girlfriend to go to a jewelry store that bothered Ryder, more so the symbolism of the ring.

Before Ash had dumped him, Ryder had wanted to propose to her. He was a dumb kid, and most men in the military got married quick to gain the privileges that married men received on base, like separate housing and resources for their spouse. He had been distraught at the time, but looking back it was a good thing that Ash had stopped him before he could make that mistake.

He still wondered if Ash would've said yes.

Pouring himself a shot of Jameson to ease his nerves, Ryder headed to the bar, praying that Amy would make it there before Ash and spare him.

Of course, no such luck. The moment he walked into the crowded bar, a gleam of blonde hair immediately caught his eye. There was Ash, posted up at the bar next to Tabs, because where else would she be? Though they hadn't talked, Ryder had asked Lucky how Ash was once he'd gotten home, and he was surprised at how much she'd changed, and not in a good way.

She looked like she hadn't slept in days, the healthy glow he remembered was replaced by a a pallor and dark circles under her eyes. He'd heard she wasn't doing well from AJ, that she had lost her job, gotten arrested, and moved back home. He had thought Lucky might be exaggerating, but Ash looked nothing like the bubbly teenager she'd once been.

Before he could stop himself his feet were moving, his broad shoulders making it easy to part through the crowd. He should've ignored her, like she'd ignored his letters all those years ago, but he couldn't stop himself. Without any idea what he was possibly going to say to her, Ryder stopped just to the side of her, thinking for a moment he should just turn around and walk back out the door, but Tabitha was already staring him down.

"Hey, Ash...Tabs."
Ryder nodded, hiding his nervousness with a big grin at both blondes.

"I'm really sorry about your brother, Tabs. He was a good guy."
Funerals had become all too familiar to Ryder since his time in the army, and yet they never got any easier.

"Can I buy you both a drink?"
Alcohol always made things better. There was definitely nothing that could go wrong involving alcohol, his ex-girlfriend, a high school reunion, and a wake.

♡coded by uxie♡

Mason
the bar
surprisingly happy
flannel
interactions

Niamh dear.szmm dear.szmm
As the night continued to wear on, the bar was steadily growing fuller and fuller, which meant that Mason was running around more and more to drive and deliver drinks to people -- which meant that he was having a harder and harder time keeping an eye on his ten-year-old who, instead of coloring or... doing that project she had due after Thanksgiving, was glued to her phone.

It was supposed to be for emergencies, but she wouldn't give off the damn thing.

Pissing him off every day.

Mason zipped around the place -- a drink for someone that was promptly snatched from his hands by Raven, followed by a gin and tonic for Tabitha (he figured she'd rather see him over her other ex), a beer for his asshole of a little brother, and a dozen or so other drinks. But finally, it felt as if things were starting to wind down, which meant when Niamh showed up, he was actually able to walk over to where she was with Ari and take a moment to breathe.

"Hey," he said with a smile as Niamh leaned across the bar and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek -- an act that would've drawn groans of disgust from his daughter... about two exes ago. She was mostly immune to that shit now, and especially when her gaze was focused on her phone, which earned a sour look from Mason. But Niamh was ordering her drink, and he had to look away from his daughter.

"Right, 'course," Mason said with a wink, and he stepped away to make up said drink (which this rper doesn't know so fuck). As he returned and slid it across to her, his focus was still entirely on his daughter, as he reached out and pushed her phone down. "Hey -- earth to Ari, I said get off the phone, yeah?"

"And do what?" She asked, a sour expression on her face. It was hard to say where the attitude was coming from, but he was starting to think that there was such a thing as the asshole gene and that Ari had received it doubly. "Hangout with drunk old people?"

"They're not-- no, you've got that ahh... what the fudge is that project you're supposed to be doin'?"

Ari huffed, and she tossed her phone onto the counter. Her arms were crossed over her chest, pale brown eyes focused on the counter in front of her. "I'm supposed to write something about where my family came from," she mumbled. "But you only have Maria and Adr-- mom's parents are both dead or whatever, so like, I don't know what I'm supposed to actually write."

"Well," Mason leaned against the counter with a soft smile on his face. He did feel bad for his daughter, at least as far as this went. He'd never felt too bad about not knowing his family growing up but, now seeing Ari go through the same turmoil... it tore him to pieces inside. "Your mom is gonna be at dinner tomorrow, so... you can ask her then. She remembers. You know she's actually from Hungary? Kinda cool, right?" Mason straightened up, his hands coming to rest on the counter. "And I don't know much, but my mom came up from Mexico or... something like that when she was little." Ari looked up at him, and he gave her a little wink. "Doesn't hurt to lie on shit like this, either. You could say you have family from Mars or something."

"That's dumb," she said, a smile on her face as she giggled. "Can I..." her eyes shot down to the phone and then back up to him, and Mason groaned, his eyes rolling, but nodded his head, and then his ten-year-old was glued back to whatever she was doing.

He'd have to check it later or something. Make sure there weren't creeps on the other end.

"So," Mason said as he moved in front of Niamh. "How're you tonight? Busy with ahh... school today? Midterms or some shit?"
coded by natasha.

Last edited:
Lucky DuBois
DuBois' Pub
barely skating by
t-shirt/jeans
interactions

Aiden, Ash, Adrian Winona Winona gingersnaps gingersnaps

He had no idea what he was doing.

Absolutely no fucking idea.

And okay. That could literally be a reference to every single thing in Lucky DuBois’ life, but in this case, he was thinking about one thing…and one thing only.

Friends-fucking-giving.

Mason just had to open his mouth. Then Raven. Then Amy. And now he was stuck planning an entire event he didn’t sign up for. Sure, it was bound to be successful. And they were going to make a killing. But holidays weren’t really his thing. Hadn’t been for a while. When Lennon was here, it’d been different. He’d make an effort at least for him, but he was gone now. He made it out. Out of this town. Away from all the baggage. Got a scholarship to NYU. He wasn’t surprised…the kid was a fucking genius. Way smarter than he’d ever be. Didn’t stop him from being a total dick about it. But that was Lucky’s MO.

Things get hard. Push it away.

He finished wiping the last surface and tossed the rag behind the bar. Any place his new feline roommate could have touched. Took a deep breath and scanned the room. The tables had been rearranged. The makeshift buffet was up against the wall and the bar was fully stocked. All that was left to do was set out the food, wash the smell of dirty bar off of him and figure out how he was going to get through the rest of the night.

His attention went toward the front door, Aiden had finally made it. He rushed for the door and held it open. “Dude…took you long enough.”

Aiden couldn't help but let out a sigh as he stepped into the bar, as many containers of food as he could possibly carry at hand- the rest of it was still waiting on his shitty, old van. It was ancient, falling apart at the seams, but it was the only form of transportation he had.

He felt slightly embarrassed about having Lucky see the old thing, he had to convince himself a thousand times on the way to the bar that he wouldn't care about something like that. But Aiden was paranoid at heart- and he felt even more embarrassed about the fact that he cared so much what Lucky thought.

Brushing his wandering thoughts aside, he set the food down on the first available surface he could find, turning to face Lucky.

“I said I was rushing.” Aiden shrugged at him “Didn't want the food to go bad on the way here.”

Aiden.

Another thing Lucky had no idea how to navigate. He blamed whiskey. It was all its fucking fault. One minute, they were wallowing in the tragedies that were their lives and the next Lucky had Aiden up against the bar…then trying their best to not fall (failing miserably) up the stairs and finally on the couch. There was no way they were making it to the bedroom.

He blamed the whisky. (And one, very brief makeout session sophomore year.)

The first time.

And the second. Rum for the third. Tequila for the fourth and fifth. And then…he could only blame himself. It was new. It was different. It was good. The sex was awesome. And definitely something that kept him distracted from everything else that was wrong with his life. He took a deep breath as he finally willed himself to meet Aiden’s gaze–always a dangerous action, because that usually led to sex.

He caught a brief whiff of the food. “Damn…who knew you could cook?” He joked trying to act as nonchalant as possible. “I’ll help you with the rest.”

“Right. Thanks.” Aiden replied, looking back at Lucky, holding his gaze for a beat. Being alone with DuBois like this wasn't so much stepping around eggshells as it was avoiding landmines. The first few timesAiden and Lucky had their secret rendezvous, he had some liquid courage to help ignore his brain going haywire, but now…

The tall, lanky boy cleared his throat, nodding toward the front door so Lucky would follow him.

“It’s in the van.” The shitty, destitute , miserable little van- his brain really needed to stop. It’s not like Lucky suddenly wouldn't want to sleep with him anymore just because he was struggling below the poverty line, that would be insane. That sort of thing only happened about inside Aiden’s head.

“Come make yourself useful, DuBois.” Aiden spoke with a half-smile on his face, the bar’s lights illuminating his dimples and freckles.

The two boys worked in a comfortable silence. Aiden couldn't think of anything to say that wasn't at least a little stupid, so he kept quiet, communicating mostly with glances and nods. He supposed Lucky should be sort of used to this by now, Aiden was reserved more often than not.

It was the sort of quiet that made people uncomfortable, but he hadn't managed to scare the other guy away yet, so…he was doing something right.

With everything settled in the kitchen, Aiden ran a hand through his dirt blonde curls, huffing as he struggled to remember if he’d gotten everything he needed for this so-called Friendsgiving event. Finally, he allowed himself to look back at Lucky.

“That’s everything.” He said finally, leaning back against the wall “So…what now?”

Lucky took stock of all the food. A blank look on his face as he looked over at Aiden. “You sure you made enough food?” He questioned. The immediate panic and dread washed over Aiden’s face and he couldn’t hold back the wicked smirk that formed on his face. “I’m just fucking with you, Parrish.” He let out a soft chuckle. “Breathe.” There was enough food to feed a small army.

He enjoyed that. He enjoyed it probably more than he should have, but Aiden was a friend…just a friend…and you were supposed to joke with friends. It was in the rule book or something. He took a deep breath and leaned against the counter. The silence again. Comfortable silence. Everything else in Lucky’s life was so loud. But Aiden got him. In a lot of ways, they were living the same life. Lucky ran a bar. Aiden ran a diner. Both their dads were drunken douche fucks and they had to grow up way too fast. Sure, Aiden’s mom was still alive, but two out of three was more than most.

The silence was beginning to weigh on him, though. He didn’t like the quiet for too long. Quiet…let his brain wander and he had no desire to take a trip down memory lane. “Anyone ever tell you, you are quite the conversationalist?” A smile formed as he glanced at Aiden, his eyes scanned his entire body. Oh boy, he was in trouble.

“No,” Aiden shook his head, “They just usually tell me I’m weird, so I avoid talking.”

Aiden didn't miss how Lucky had been staring. He hardly missed anything, always so observant, and in his company Aiden tended to be more than a little hyper-aware.

“Is that what you want to do, then?” Aiden blinked his clear eyes, watching Lucky as he spoke “Talk?”

No. Talking was the last thing that was on his mind. He was done with talking. Talking was complicated. Talking led to relationships. Relationships led to bull shit. And he was done with bull shit. But he was getting comfortable…and that kind of scared him, too.

“I know, right?” He mused. “What a crazy thought.” He said sarcastically as he pushed himself off the counter. He slowly closed the gap between them. “Okay, Parrish, you’ve got a better idea then?”

Bastard, Aiden thought as Lucky got closer and closer Stupid, pretty bastard.

It would be a lie to say Aiden was cool and smooth and totally didn’t freak out whenever Lucky made a pass at him. He was never the best at this. Even when he was with Niamh, she usually was the one to initiate things.

And this was a little more complicated than that. Not bad, not bad at all. It was a little too good, which couldn’t be more inconvenient.

“A couple, maybe.” The corner of Aiden’s lips quirked, a half-smile.He wasn’t as nervous about this as he used to be, nudging a bit closer to him, head slightly tilted to the side. “How much time do you have to hear them out?”

“A couple, huh?” Lucky smirked as he slid as close as he could without touching. This had been their game. Who’d make the first move? Usually him. Would one of them finally back down and realize they were headed for disaster? They never did. But maybe tonight was the night. He’d do the smart thing and call it off.

“Probably about an hour.” He said as he sighed and stepped back. “Should probably shower and get ready.” He stated as he turned and walked toward the door that led to his upstairs apartment.

He opened the door and stopped. Taking a deep breath, he glanced back. “You coming?”

If Aiden was smarter, he’d say no. He’d find an excuse and get out of here as fast as he could, back to the “safety” of his house.

Instead, he smiled up at Lucky, following him to the door.

“Lead the way, DuBois. Clock’s ticking.”

————————————————————————————--

Friends-fucking-giving.

He should have called in sick.

How did he think he was going to get through this?

Not even sex could have saved him from the tomfuckery that was this evening. The post-sex high had worn off the minute the doors opened. The minute he realized that at any moment, not one, but two of his exes would trape through the door. Enter his life just as quickly as they left it.

Okay, so he was being slightly dramatic. He and Ash had done their best to move on. To get along. Maybe it was because they were friends before. That their relationship started from the pain of another ending. But it wasn’t the same. Nothing was the same and that was what was pissing off Lucky the most. Everything around him was changing except him.

"Hey," a familiar voice garnered his attention. He plastered on the best “can do” smile he could. "Hey, Luck, could you just, like... ya know, just like give me the whole bottle of vodka?" She asked hopefully, although she already knew what the answer was gonna be.

Ash huffed, pulling the glass closer towards her. "Fine," she mumbled. "Put it on, like, Jace's tab or something. He said he'd pay." He nodded as she turned back toward…fuck. Tabitha. Ex # 1. Was the universe trying to push him to jump off a cliff? He poured a quick shot for himself and downed it quickly. He wasn’t going to be able to stay sober for this.

Luckily, they’d been eclipsed by another rush of patrons. Taking a deep breath, he plastered another fake smile and glanced up at the next patron. His smile quickly fell from his face as he rolled his eyes. “Adriane Holloway.” He sighed. “We’re fresh out of the blood of the innocent. Might want to check the bar in the next town over. Can I call you an Uber or get you a broom?”

coded by natasha.

Ashton West
just as much

the bar
haha... haha... ha
idk probably a hoodie
interactions

Tabitha gingersnaps gingersnaps Ryder a z u l a a z u l a
God, just fucking--

This was already going terribly, and Ash had just sat down. She'd barely even said anything to Tabitha, and yet the blonde was already getting all worked up. Not that... not that she really blamed her or anything. Like, Tabitha had every right to bitch her out, but she still found herself trying to catch Lucky's eye so that she could beg him to just bring her the whole bottle, because she was going to need to be a lot drunker this.

Tabitha's sharp words had been something she'd grown used to when they were growing up, except that usually they were being thrown at other people, and not herself. She was still trying to get used to the edged words cutting into her, and it felt kind of stupid, to sit here with someone that clearly would rather be anywhere else.

There was a laugh from Ash's lips as she brought the glass up to her lips, and took a heavy drink of straight vodka. The taste never got better -- it burned down her throat, but she knew that the pain would subside soon enough and she'd be blessed with a foggy brain and no memory of tonight's events. That was her goal in coming here, although that... tended to be her goal every night lately.

"I'm... happy for you," her eyes were glued to the glass, her nail tapping against the side while Tabitha spoke. "Not... not about... everything else, just ummm... I'm happy that you liked Yale. It's... yeah, cool, you know, I guess I probably said that... back then." Her eyebrows drew together, trying to recall the events of the past, although thinking about when she was getting into college--

When Ash was set to move--

It made her think about everything else that had come with graduation, and she had to swallow the lump gathering in her throat.

The glass was brought back to her lips.

“You didn't have a plan for this little meet-up, did you, Ashton?” Tabitha asked, and Ash risked a glance in her direction. “I’ll bet you didn't even think I was showing up. Fuck, I really almost didn't. But even this trainwreck of a conversation should be better than staying home with those two...people.”

"You can't... like... stay somewhere else? Just visit during the day or whatever? I mean, I'm sure you've already like... I'm sure you've already thought about that, but umm..." Ash shrugged nonchalantly, "just... just a suggestion, I guess."

"Plus, I figured your awkwardness could be sort of entertaining." Tabitha's comment earned a glare from Ash. "Like, what's she going to apologize for first? The ex-fucking? The dead brother? The dying mother?“

"And I thought you said you were paying, not your brother.”

"Listen," Ash started, "I know... I thought you didn't want me like... giving you any kind of sympathy for... you know? Like I thought you wanted to get drunk and forget about all of that." She continued, in a vain attempt to try and explain herself, although that wasn't working at all. "No, but like..." she hesitated, lips parting as she struggled to place her words, "I'm sorry, for ummm... everything, I guess, and I... listen, I'll just, I'll pay..." Her words trailed off as the door to the pub opened, and a familiar figure caught the corner of her eye, and Ash just... completely lost her train of thought.

It had been years, sure, and he'd changed a lot. Filled out more, looked... just... different. And it took absolutely everything in her to drag her eyes away from him, to focused them back on her glass, a vague, forced smile on her lips.

Part of her wanted to run over to him, tell him what she'd found, apologize for all those years of radio silence. And another part of her wanted to just leave the pub, right then and there, and just... put distance between herself and Ryder. Like, that's what Lucky had more or less implied -- that closure wouldn't get her anywhere, because he didn't matter at the end of the day, because he'd left her one way or the other.

... Except that he hadn't, or he hadn't wanted to.

"Umm..." she struggled to find her lost words, eyebrows creasing together.

Unfortunately, she didn't get the opportunity to pick, as Ryder picked for the both of them as he made his way over -- not that her distracted self noticed until he bothered to speak up, and then she looked up at him.

"Hey, Ash...Tabs." Ryder nodded.

Her heart was in her throat. It was choking her out. She didn't know what to do, so the grip on her glass just tightened, as if the glass of vodka was the only thing holding her down.

Lips parted to speak, but no words came out.

See, Ash had moved on. That's... what her dad had said, anyway, earlier. And she had moved on with Lucky and like, when she was with him, she'd hardly even thought about Ryder except for a passing thought every now or again when something would remind her of him. Watching football with her dad. Finding his hoodie or some other possession he'd forgotten that had ended up mixed into her belongings. Tiny things that at first, had been like knives digging into her chest, but then slowly over time, she'd... grown almost numb to any reminders of him.

But with him here, now... all those old feelings rushed back. The dam she'd built to hide away from her feelings for him had cracked and broken, and all of those old feelings just felt like they were rushing right through her veins.

"I'm really sorry about your brother, Tabs. He was a good guy." He said, before continuing. "Can I buy you both a drink?"

Oh and, look, he'd totally read her fucking mind, because she'd just been thinking about how she had literally no money to pay for these drinks.

A smile cracked across her face -- faint, but a smile nonetheless.

"See?" Ash told Tabitha, her hand reaching out to touch Ryder's arm. "I told you I'd have drinks covered." She finally managed to actually look at him, and her smile briefly faltered. "Umm... yeah, thanks, that'd umm... yeah, that'd be great, do you... like... get a seat, or something."

Totally killing it.

"I umm..." her finger picking at the bar top, "I actually wanted to talk to you. Later, though, it's... it's not that important."

It was just about those letters. She... wanted to clear the air. Or something.

"Tabitha and I were just talking about how shit life is," Ash smirked at the fellow blonde. "Right?"
coded by natasha.

Josephine Burkhart

Duboi's pub
ha…ha
interactions

Elijah
Cactus Cactus

Elijah didn’t seem bothered by her ability to be a complete klutz. "Josie, calm down. It's okay, really." The blonde let out a breathy chuckle, her lips thinning and she placed the now… mostly empty glass on the bar.

"I should thank you, now I won't have to hug all these people in here.” He said, earning a smile out of Josephine. She already felt like she was fourteen again– incapable of coming up with words.

And no, it wasn’t because Josie’s crush hadn’t subsided. She was just– a little socially awkward from time to time and conversing with somebody she hasn’t talked to since freshman year is a little jarring.

“Some of them are really good huggers, Tommy over there won an award or two for it.” Josie pointed to the sweet, burly man in the corner who was enjoying a pint of beer to themselves.

No, he didn’t win an award for best hugger but he did win an award for catching the biggest crab.

Apparently king crab-legs went for a lot of money, who knew?

Back then— a conversation with his full attention had been anything Josephine ever wanted. Now? She wanted nothing more than to run away after the fool she was undoubtedly about to make of herself.

(Pretending that she hasn’t done so already.)

Elijah had asked what she’d been up to and the first thing that came to Josephine’s mind was…

“Same old, same old,”

A terribly boring answer, but a real one at that. Much like her childhood bedroom— since Elijah left… Josephine’s life had stayed the same.

There were only a few minor differences, school, work, and the lack of a sister.

“Um… but— beyond the same things… I go to community college here. I’m an art major.”

Josephine’s “dream” was to attend the art institute in Chicago.

She applied the day before she made the choice to stay. A letter had come in but Josie didn’t have the courage to open it.

Rejection meant that she wasn’t good enough— and if they had actually accepted her…

Well, that just meant she was making the conscious choice to turn down an once in a lifetime opportunity.

Sometimes, you were just better off not knowing.

“I work at the Geronimo diner now, too. Aiden owns it— I’m not sure if you remember him?”

There was a possibility but they ran in different social circles, if they weren’t close back then at the very least they knew each other’s names.

“Uhh, honestly, I’ve been up to… a lot of things that I won’t get into right now because it’s supposed to a light-hearted night—“

As light-hearted as wakes can go.

Her eyes shut as she registered the words the second they left her lips. Josephine took a deep breath, releasing a sigh.

The last thing Joey wanted to do was delve into personal business, her father’s heart attack, the slight financial struggles, her sister’s return with her nephew and her mother’s animosity towards it.

What Josie was “up to” is struggling to keep her family together.

She figured that wasn’t the best conversation topic.

Her gaze lingered on his hoodie as he attempted to dry it off and she made a mental note not to apologize for the sixth time tonight.

“But what about you? How was New York? Are you just visiting for the holidays?”

A loaded question for sure. But it’d been such a long time… and frankly, Josephine was better at small-talk when it was with the older ladies that attended her church.

Not old crushes who had the voice of an angel. He would’ve killed it in choir and… Josie hated that she actually thought about that— wow.

Of course, this wasn’t Joey becoming so nervous that she might’ve been slipping into old habits. From a music point of view; she respected him.

Her musical knowledge and skills went as far as Taylor Swift, Maren Morris, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood along with the many Christian songs they’d sing on choir but—

Josephine did have a decent voice or else they wouldn’t have been so sad when she quit. Unless they just loved her so much they faked their admiration for her voice.

Beyond that she only sang in the car, in the shower or along as she painted in the garage.

Nevertheless…

Elijah was respected in her eyes; from both a friendly acquaintance and a musical standpoint.

“Anything new going on with you? I’m a little taken aback by the fact you’re not on tour yet.” She joked.

(Nah, she didn’t know that he lost his record deal after the studio declared bankruptcy, but…)

Told you she wasn’t good at small talk.
coded by natasha.

Adriane Holloway
fast car

the bar
lovely
bitchy
interactions

Lucky gh0stwriter gh0stwriter
Coming home never got any easier. It was like pulling teeth and every year, as the holidays loomed closer, Adriane would flop between just... dipping. Refusing to go. After all, it wasn't as if she really had much of a reason to return here... ever and her dream had always been to get out and never look back, it was just...

She hadn't necessarily expected to do it alone.

Adriane was seated at one end of the bar -- the side that Mason hadn't been attending to. She had yet to order anything. Rather, her gaze was focused across the bar on her... something. Ariana, who was sitting at the bar on her phone. Raven had spoken to her for a few, and Mason's newest blonde bitch had taken a seat beside her, and now he was over there talking with them as if the three were some happy family.

She hoped Mason was happy with her.

Cheap, blonde whores had always been his type.

The whole... arriving to town had been a mistake, though. The drive down had ended up costing her her car, but hey, at least the guy that had worked on it was hot, and definitely not someone that was from this town. That was easy enough for her to piece together after one conversation with him, which had needlessly been cut short by her foster parents coming to pick her up.

Her room was, of course, redone for the next kid that was there. So she'd been placed into the stale, tiny guest room, with its flowery sheets and stale smell. It was anything but homey or warm, but it was hard to say if Adriane had ever felt fully at home when she'd lived there. The only place she truly felt at home was the current apartment she had -- perhaps because she had control over that. She had control over how long she stayed there, she had control over who was allowed to come in, and she had... control over everything.

It was kept basic, of course, and wasn't anything particularly nice. Adriane had figured she didn't really need much, plus a good portion of her income was sent home to Mason so that he could afford to put a roof over his head and whoever his bitch of the week was.

(Yes, it had been two years but no, Adriane hadn't bothered to learn Niamh's name.)

“Adriane Holloway.” Lucky sighed as he approached, and her burning gaze turned onto him. “We’re fresh out of the blood of the innocent. Might want to check the bar in the next town over. Can I call you an Uber or get you a broom?”

"Took you long enough," she stated, a long sigh escaping her lips. "Not that I'd expect better service from a bar run by two high school dropouts."

(Yes, she knew they weren't dropouts, but they might as well have been -- stuck here in this town and all.)

"Martini," she said, pausing briefly, before she continued to speak; "Are you capable of making mixed drinks, or is everything here just straight from the bottle? I'd pull up a recipe for you, but I'm sure you never learned how to read, what, given how you were always too busy fucking anyone that would glance your way."

There was a little shooing motion with her hand. "Martini now."
coded by natasha.

scroll

The Musician

Elijah.

mood

Playful

outfit

casual

DuBois' Pub

interactions

Josephine

tags

After giving up on drying himself Elijah's focus shifted back to Josephine. Getting a drink spilled on to him less than five minutes in to the evening was just his luck. In all honesty, he wasn't mad about the accident, more annoyed.
Even though he had to smell like olives for the rest of the night, he was glad he had bumped in to Josie. It must have been over five years since they last spoke to each other.

"Some of them are really good huggers, Tommy over there won an award or two for it."

She said pointing to the lonely man in the corner.

Elijah chuckled at her comment as he swiftly gazed at the stranger.
The more he thought about it, the more Josephine seemed to be a bit off, almost nervous about something. Why was yet a mystery. She had just covered him in her drink which could explain a thing or two, so he eventually just shrugged it off.

"Same old, same old. Um… but— beyond the same things… I go to community college here. I’m an art major."

She answered to his earlier question.

That must be the same community college Elijah himself had thought of applying to. All musician's out there have second thoughts when it comes to quitting your day job and committing to the music. Everybody tells you not do it and get a real job. Those words were what almost changed his life forever. In a different life he could have been studying for an exam instead of grasping on to the rockstar-dream.

“I work at the Geronimo diner now, too. Aiden owns it— I’m not sure if you remember him? Uhh, honestly, I’ve been up to… a lot of things that I won’t get into right now because it’s supposed to a light-hearted night—”

Her words interrupted Elijah's thoughts drifting away, bringing him back to reality as he was fiddling with his hoodie-strings. He hadn't really heard all of what she had to say due to his busy mind having other plans.

"Umm, yeah, sorry... I remember Aiden, yes. Man, I used to love Geronimo's back in the day. I'm sure the diner's in safe hands.”

He answered letting out a smile to her.

Elijah had actually never been to Geronimo's before, why would he claim he had? This was odd, even for him. To tell a little white lie wasn't something new, but why lie about this? Was he trying to impress her in some weird way? Not even Elijah himself knows why he said what he said.

“But what about you? How was New York? Are you just visiting for the holidays?”

She asked.

There it was, now he just had to have the same conversation with 30 other people.

“New York's treating me good so far, still not used to all the traffic and people. I'm sure it will come.”

He answered with a cheeky smile as the front his hair fell down, almost covering his eyes.

Just the thought of all the cars and constant noise New York came with was enough to stress him. He loves the city since it's the home to one of the greatest music scenes in the world, but the noise...

“I'm just visiting during thanksgiving actually. I live together with Jace who I assume you know if you remember me? He's like a gum under my shoe, impossible to get rid of."

He said with a soft laugh leaving his mouth.

Elijah loves Jace to the moon and back, the things he would do for that man. They have been together since day one, all the way back to second grade's music class.

“Anything new going on with you? I’m a little taken aback by the fact you’re not on tour yet."

She joked.

The constant reminder of being a failure seemed to haunt him. He understood that she most likely wasn't aware of his record deal going down the toilet so he couldn't really blame her.

“Not really, just waiting for all of my songs to be mastered and then it's time for album release. How did you know I was not on tour? Stalk much?"

He said sarcastically with a smile taking shape.

Elijah leaned in closer to Josephine and locked his eyes on to hers, put one of his hands on to her shoulder and quietly said,
“And by the way, I'll have you know that I beat that drunkard Tommy in the hugging contests fair and square. Unbeaten, seven years in a row."

♡coded by uxie♡

Vivian Allen
newcomer
Vivian swirls her long island iced tea as she stares curiously at the internet stranger that she'd manage to make appear in a restaurant with them... In public, nonetheless.

It wasn't exactly attraction that brought her to contact him; His passing comment on twitter had simply been the first compliment she'd received since moving into this town. At least, the first compliment that was directed at them and not their distant, abstract internet persona. He simply wanted to latch on to this little notion of appreciation, despite the fact that it now positioned him across from someone he did not know whatsoever.
Tension swirls in their stomach; They cannot let themself fumble this interaction. It was a fleeting chance to leave a good impression in this town. Her expressions stiffens as she summons every ounce of charisma they have.

"So... Do you..." They blink. "Do you have many hobbies? In a town so boring one must have hobbies. I write- I mean. I'm a hobbyist writer." Words spill out of their mouth. "I also paint, but not really. Not that well at all, no. I wanted to take in stray cats, but I'm allergic. Birds are too irritating. Fish... Forget about it, fish freak me out. You know? Freaky little eyes."
She sips her long island iced tea in a desperate attempt to remain composed. She fools herself into believing she is composed and continues talking.

"I-I for a while got into freezing, um, iced cubes. Not, not normal iced cubes! The sort with, um, eggs, and olive oil, and herbs, so you could, cook with them." The pronunciation of each of his vowels grows exaggerated. "Strawberry puree and such. All... All kinds of cubes."

Their stomach sinks. It turns out, staying shut inside of your home and bingeing on alcohol at the expense of social contact for several months does not lend itself to well-rounded social interactions. Vivian feels stranger and more out of place in this town than she ever had in her life. His stomach clenches as he prepares for the inevitability that this person may catch onto their peculiarities and attempt to end the dinner early, at which point he could venture home and excuse opening a second bottle of wine to soothe his self-pity.

Restaurant.

nervous; trying to play cool.

A baggy white t-shirt, tight black jeans, and a black-bead bracelet with a pentagram in the center.

Teddy
coded by natasha.

Carter MacCabe
The Mystic

Dubois'
awkward
scruffy man in a bomber
interactions

Juni jasmyn jasmyn , Josie Soap Soap

It was quiet. Far too quiet. The ceiling above his head was fluctuating in and out of a fractured existence. His eyes followed the blades of the ceiling fan as the spun around into oblivion. If he concentrated hard enough, it was almost as if he could see the ghostly phantoms of memories flitting between each rotation of the fan. A blink, two, three, and the fan wasn’t a fan anymore. A deafening whirring sound overtook his hearing. It smelled like sweat and wet grass. A helicopters blades cut rapidly through the air. Someone shouted off to his right, a familiar voice, one he could find far back into his memories. He was being dragged, no he was dragging someone else to the ground just in time to feel the earth shake beneath them as-

Carter sat bolt upright. His chest was heaving as he attempted to suck air into his lungs. He hadn’t even been sleeping that time. Or maybe he had. Carter was beginning to find it difficult to tell the waking nightmares from the sleeping ones, but they had certainly never been so vivid before. It’s almost like he could still feel the dirt under his fingernails and the wet plastering of his hair across his forehead. He sighed, a ragged, heavy thing, and swung his legs over the edge of his bed. He should really start going to that therapist again, he knew that. But he could hardly stand feeling like he was crazy, so he’d ignore it, at least for now. Besides, it was the holidays and there were suddenly a lot more of his friends in town than he was used to. He’d be fine. He was fine. It was fine.

So, Carter steadfastly ignored the way his heart was pounding as he shuffled his way into the bathroom of his one-bedroom. It wasn’t big, or expensive, or fancy like his childhood home had been but Carter had grown to like it in the few months it had been his home. The original plan after he’d been discharged had been to stay with his parents until he could find a job somewhere else, preferably somewhere far away from Port Vera and his father, but things hadn’t quite worked out that way. Justin and his family’s business had offered him a job rather quickly, even though he was still in recovery, and Carter had been able to get by only staying with his parents for a month before he was able to move out again. It was nice, having a place to himself again. He hadn’t wanted to stay in his tiny apartment in Annapolis after the discharge, so this was the next best thing, and he liked working with Justin well enough.

The bathroom mirror needed to be cleaned. Carter ran a hand through his hair and sighed heavily as he stared at himself past the accumulated grime. He looked tired. There were the beginnings of dark circles under his eyes, and he could swear he had gained a new wrinkle between his eyebrows. The corners of his mouth quirked up in a small smile and Carter thought he looked a little better already. It was fine. He was fine. He finger-combed through his hair and trailed back out of the bathroom to pull his jeans back over his hips and a brown bomber jacket over his shoulders. He hadn’t bothered with a different shirt, the black t-shirt he had been wearing most of the day would do. He had a bar to get to.

By the time he got to his front door, there was someone there already. Carter frowned at the shadow of a person visible through the small, decorative window on the door. They hadn’t knocked yet, and he briefly wondered how long they had been standing there. His steps faltered as he got closer to the door, not wanting to open it in the face of whoever was there. They were fidgeting, leaning from foot to foot. He was fully stopped now, right in front of the door, with his keys hanging in his hands. The person on the other side could probably see him, he realized. Carter sucked in a breath and pushed open the door to find his mother standing on the other side of it. She was in her pajamas, a robe wrapped around her shoulders, looking ever the picture of the woman who had stood on the porch and yelled at him to get inside at night. Except she looked a little haggard and her hair was a mess. Carter frowned as he stood in the doorway, the hand he still had clutching the frame. It was strange to see her like this. Penelope MacCabe was usually so put together, even in her sleepwear, but this was far from normal. She was sad. Something had happened.

“Mom? What—” He shuffled a little, “What’s wrong?” His mom frowned and crossed her arms over her chest, rubbing a hand up and down her left arm. Something had happened. Penelope looked him over and seemed to come to a realization in the span of a few seconds. He watched her face morph as she seemed to mull over her words.

“Nothing, I just…your father was called out for some crime or another and I just wanted to walk over and see what you were up to.” She offered a shaky grin, “But I see that you’re heading out so I’ll just head on back home.” His mother spun on her house shoe clad heel and started back down the walkway. Carter shouted after her, hastily attempting to lock up before jogging to meet her again.

“It’s dark. I’ll walk you home.” Carter offered his mother his arm, which she took with a far more genuine smile than the one before and they set off back toward his childhood home.
After he had escorted his mother home, it had taken him less than ten minutes to walk to the bar. It was only as he stepped over the threshold that he realized he’d forgotten his fucking arm. Carter glanced down at the loose material of his jacket hanging in the space where the rest of his left arm used to be. A grimace found it’s way onto his face as he managed to tie off the loose arm with one hand. That would have to do. It didn’t matter anyway. Carter had gotten used to the stares and most of the people here probably wouldn’t comment on it anyway. These were mostly his friends; he had no room to be self-conscious about not having his prosthetic.

Carter didn’t even have to order as almost the second he sat down there was a beer in front of him. He smiled more to himself than anyone else as he plucked it up. It was nice, to be known here like that. He didn’t want to start all of the conversation until he was at least a beer deep, the fog from his earlier episode still hanging over his mind. But the universe didn’t seem to want to give him that. He glanced up from his bottle, fingers tapping restlessly against the bar, and there she was, and he was 18 again. He couldn't stop his feet from carrying him over.

"Joey.." His eyes were bright as they flicked over both girls, "Juni. Hi, you look nice." Josie greeted him, bright as ever, and he couldn’t help the quiet chuckle that passed his lips. She didn’t seem to want to stay long though, as almost immediately she was floating away from the two of them, leaving Carter to be awkward all on his lonesome.

“I—uh, it’s been a while.” Carter stumbled over his words a little, a thing he was far from used to, “I know I said this already, but you really do look great.” He shoved his hand in his pocket with a grin, “Felt like it needed reiterating. How have you been?” Easy. Simple. You’ve got it.
coded by natasha.

Reuben

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

• home (filler tab)

Fall Out Boy

I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off

TW: pregnancy belly mentions

Reuben was getting used to the white picket life; a doting spouse, a daughter on the way, a new level to his career. He was actually pretty happy. He couldn’t even say he was bored – if anything there was too damn much to do.

Cait was counting on him.

She was very, very capable – he knew that. It was hard to keep her from climbing the walls, literally. If he saw her up the top of the ladder in the nursery again, he would soon enough have a heart attack. He somewhat understood, or at least tried to. Pregnancy was a fucking bitch. Cait wasn’t content sitting back and letting the nine months pass by; staring at four walls while a five pound foetus pummelled your internal organs with its appendages hardly sounded fun. She was getting agitated, and that was just the baby. Reuben could only empathise with Cait, whilst never truly having a clue about what she was going through.

He'd given his support in any way he could. At the end of the day, he loved her. The start of their relationship had been unconventional, sure. It didn’t matter now. He’d do whatever she needed, or asked of him: cooking meals, preparing the nursery – well, almost – and cutting down on the beer. She really wasn’t a fan of the beer.

But, Jesus Christ, did he miss the fucking cigarettes. It was a small sacrifice, giving up a thing that was essentially killing him anyway, but fuck. He was still struggling to wrestle with the craving.

It was the same case tonight. He sat in the driver’s seat, stopped at a red light, one hand propping his head up against the window, the other on the steering wheel.

Cait squirmed in the seat next to him.

“This seat belt is driving me crazy.”

Reuben looked at her sympathetically, swapping his hands on the wheel. He reached his right hand over to Cait and underneath the seat belt constraining her stomach, rubbing his hand gently over her round belly.

He really would have given anything to make her feel more comfortable. He felt guilty enough for making her come with him to the bar, but it was a holiday after all, and Cait was nothing if not traditional. Who knew, maybe getting out and seeing some familiar faces would be good for her?

The traffic wasn’t bad, but still busier than normal. Reuben pulled up on the side of the curb, flicking the engine off. Cait, in all of her struggle, flung herself out of the vehicle, marching herself determinately straight for the entrance of the bar.

Whoaa, slow down, speedy.” he called after her, locking the car and taking a few hasty strides to keep up behind her. She still had a good pace for someone that was starting to waddle when she walked.

Reuben pulled the door open wide, placing a reassuring hand on the small of his wife’s back. Cait mumbled something about the restroom, suddenly breaking away and disappearing into the crowd.

Was it bad for him to consider heading back out for a rushed nicotine break?

Alas, he did not. Instead, he approached the bar, ordering a shot of whiskey, a bottle of Budweiser, and a glass of water with lemon. The whiskey, of course, was quickly and discretely disposed of. Reuben slid the empty glass back across the bar, just as Cait reappeared next to him

“Sorry about that. Baby girl's got to have her way or no way at all,” she said, smiling sheepishly, “please tell me there's non-alcoholic beverages here, 'cause I'm parched."

Reuben laughed, nodding to the two drinks in front of them.

“One tall, fine glass of H2O for the parched lady, with lemon, he exaggerated, gently nudging it towards her, “and – well. I couldn’t help myself.” He admitted, pursing his lips at his beer. The whiskey was between him and the bartender.

Reuben was pretending not to have noticed Mason and Lucky down the other end of the bar. He couldn’t say he enjoyedbeing under their roof, but hell, where else was he going to go? He’d arrested most of the frequent customers at The Fisherman’s Tavern after a particularly sour bar fight two weeks earlier, and had already been warned off returning by the extraordinarily challenging landlord. Dubois’ would have to do.

“C’mon, over here,” he said, grabbing his beer and taking Cait’s hand before they approached an empty nearby table.

“Cosy, huh?” he remarked, somewhat insincerely. The bar certainly had a more local atmosphere than the ones he’d been privy to in Newcastle.

Reuben watched Cait, still looking unsure of herself. Her growing bump still made the rest of her look so tiny. He was weary of the other drinkers bellowing around them, who, by the looks of it, had arrived to the celebrations much earlier.

“Riggs is here somewhere,” he said, taking a sip of his beer, “though I don’t know how desperate I am to see him. Especially if he’s got his… uh, girlfriend with him. They’re both a piece of work on their own, nevermind as a fucking duo.”

Reuben shook his head, raising his bottle to his lips again. He wouldn't waste his night thinking about them.

“You look beautiful tonight, babe. Thank you for coming with me. I know I’ve been busy, but I’m always really proud when we get to go out together, and I could sit here and talk and look at you all night.”

He meant it, a sincere and knowing smile dancing across his lips.

“Do you need anything? Hungry? I can go find the banana bread…” he chimed, raising an eyebrow suggestively.

♡coded by uxie♡

MOOD: sir, do u have a death wish

OUTFIT:
casual fall lewk
INFO

WITH: elliot

MENTION: raven, tabitha, cait​
ACTIVITY
Deo V. Solomon
Thank God I'm Not You

He hadn’t lied to Raven about his flight having an impromptu layover.

Deo believed the plane would go to Boston instead of Maryland after the captain announced the possibility of an unplanned landing to somewhere else due to the inconsistent weather. Might’ve been because of the air turbulence or whatever made the plane shake more than once.

But weather was known to be unpredictable. His one-way flight from England to Maryland continued. Maybe a little late on the original schedule, but at least Deo managed to get some sleep more along the way.

He felt bad for canceling their night-in plan at his place and perhaps guilting her into going to the bar for Tabitha. Hey, he hadn’t intended to. He just didn’t want his girlfriend to spend the night alone on Friendsgiving.

But for some reason, Raven wanted to avoid the bar tonight. It was annoying dealing with a stubborn Raven. They didn’t exactly have an intense argument, but neither of them ended their last conversation very maturely.

Which was why he started thinking he’d make it up to her with a surprise appearance. He knew Raven wasn’t always keen on surprises, but since he started dating her, Deo wanted to do more romantic gestures that weren’t just sex—that would be for later on, wink, wink.

Seriously, he wanted to try this dating thing, and do it right. He really liked her...

Deo was just about to take out his phone to call a taxi cab when a sudden force knocked him over. He stumbled to the floor, his heavy luggage going down with him.

“That was for defacing my car."

Did Deo tell Elliot he had defaced his car? No, Deo specifically said he only heard about it. Besides, he wouldn’t outright admit to something like that, especially not Elliot.

“Had it ever occurred to you that your car might actually still be okay, or are you just that easily triggered when you're manipulated? I was gone for two weeks; who’s gonna believe you?” Ignoring the burning throb on the side of his head, ignoring the whispers and gasps nearby, Deo removed his backpack and pushed it aside. “Wow, using my girlfriend as an insult ’cuz you don’t have one? How very mature and Christian of you.”

Deo could probably spend an hour explaining to this asshat that that Bible verse written over a millennium ago could’ve been a warning against branding people as slaves like ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia had done, and something about ancient death rituals involving mutilations. Hell, there may not even be a clear passage that forbids tattoos in literal translations...

Actually, no. An hour wouldn’t be enough for Elliot to process something so educational. This was the same guy who thought Jesus was white as an English muffin.

“Leviticus also says haircuts are a no-no, but you still fuckin’ get them anyway.” Up on his feet, Deo charged at him.

He dodged a little late on Elliot’s second punch. Rough knuckles glanced off of Deo’s left cheek, but he didn’t flinch. Elliot wasn’t lucky the third time—Deo parried the next punch, following it with a few quick hard jabs to Elliot’s face as he closed in.

Then he stunned him with a headbutt. Probably not the best idea, might've worsened his concussion.

But worth it.

He didn’t allow him the chance to make the next move. Grabbing a firm hold of the dull cashmere sweater, Deo judo-like flipped Elliot, slamming his body on the floor. Immediately, he rolled him onto his stomach and pinned him down, forcing one side of Elliot’s face to press against the cold, smudged tile, and locking Elliot’s arm in a tight grip.

“Listen here, alpha shit McGee,” Deo snarled several inches away from his ear. “I don’t think I’m better than you. I’m a fuckin’ dirtbag—stop struggling like that, you’ll make me snap your arm.” To prove his point, Deo squeezed the wrist and leaned against the limb, adding a little extra uncomfortable pressure without breaking it.

“You come from a goddamn privileged family, while I came from nearly nothing. You could've tried finding something better to do than most people, but instead, you’re choosing to be a despicable pissant who thinks the world owes you a favor, or maybe working against you—but the truth is, it fuckin’ doesn't and it's not. You whine, lie, and run away like a coward every time someone calls you out for your deplorable ignorance and hypocrisy just ‘cuz you don’t know how to admit you’re wrong or apologize.

“I don’t hate you, Elliot. That would mean I consider you a threat, which I don’t. I pity you.” Deo was aware of the crowd around them, which gradually increasing, but no one dared to intervene. “Because every time you look in the mirror, you see a useless, miserable phony that nobody wants around. Not Port Vera, not your own family. Not even Cait. She deserves better than having you hang around like some pathetic excuse of a parasite. And that's all you'll ever be if you don't get your-fucking-self together.

“Yeah, I’ve done and said lots of terrible things in the past, and my shitty mistakes have gotten people I loved killed or worse. But despite all the crappy things that happened to me, and will probably happen…” He leaned slightly closer to his head and said in a harsh whisper, “I’ll still end up happier than you, knowing that I’m not you. I may be going to hell, but the circle you're going down there is much worse where I'll be. The Devil loves torturing fraudulent scumbags like you.”

The sound of the airport’s security golf cart grew louder. Deo glanced over his shoulder and spotted a half-dozen uniformed guards jogging toward them.

Before letting go of the pisspot, Deo added one more note:

“If you insult my girl like that again, if try to talk to her in person or touch her, I’ll bash in your teeth so far down your throat, you’ll be shitting in the dentist's chair for nine weeks. Enjoy the rest of your pathetic life.”

Deo shoved Elliot’s head against the floor, using it as a sort of support to help him stand up, and nonchalantly smoothed and dusted off his dark grey jacket for few seconds before being roughly manhandled. Deo didn't resist. Once he felt the familiar smooth metal of handcuffs secured around his wrists against his back, he was dragged to a separate security cart away from Elliot, and driven to the airport’s holding room.

He didn’t look back once. He was busy silently grimacing over how easy it was for him to say all those malicious things, and how it mentally drained him greatly.
code by valen t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back