• RPNation Forum

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Wyn

Little Writing Bean
Roleplay Type(s)
Just wondering how people prefer to post in RP groups, since there's so many different ways and outlets to do so. Let me know why you prefer whichever option you choose!

From a practical standpoint, I generally prefer the organization and tools I have on RPN and it works better for people who like the kind of long and detailed posts I do. I also prefer RPN's aesthetic and from an intuition standpoint think that it just makes more sense to roleplay on the roleplaying site, rather than using it as some kind of roleplay tinder.

I only roleplay on RPN, and only on threads. I do not mind and often enjoy discord OOCs though, as in terms of just having a conversation I find it to be more convenient.

It depends on the kind of roleplay and how married people are to asethetic.

Casual and super fast pased roleplays are actually ideal for Discord. The platform has the same (if not better) organizational tools for roleplaying.

And if your average post is like three paragraph or lower than the character limit on the Discord is totally fine.

If you like longer posts but arent married to pretty asthetic than you can also use Discord. It just requires breaking poste up.

But if you like pretty posts or sre not used to reading posts in the format of Discord than it can be difficult.

Plus not everyone has a Discord.

TL:DR basically both are fine and its really down to your players personal prefrence

I don't need the ability to format - in fact, I hate formatted posts passionately (to me it looks like the person's priority is showing off instead of playing, and I'd prefer the other way round). I think sometimes adding a link that would not look like a long mess, or and inlined image instead of a link would be comfortable, but to me? Not needed. So I tried Discord, thinking what could go wrong? And nothing did. Not really. It has basic formatting: italics, bold for emphasis; or strike-through and courier for texts... but it had a huge flaw: word limit. I need to break my posts into 3+ parts to fir it in, and it's inconvenient, it irritates me, and it whether makes the paragraphs have uneven marquee (I am weirdly aggravated by such things), or adds your icon to every part (again, weirdly aggravated). So Discord just won't do for me, personally.

kevintheradioguy kevintheradioguy Yeah. The word limit is also my only problem with discord. I like how it's an app I always have open on both my phone and computer so reply time is faster and I never forget to respond. I think I just like that it's convenient. But that's also because it's also hard for me to learn my way around different medias and I've never roleplayed on a forum site directly, so the process looks complicated. Maybe it's not though, I haven't really looking into it more than a casual glance over a few tutorial pages.

It's not at all difficult to use threads. You basically just make

1. Interest Check in the relevant genre.
2. In Character thread in the relevant genre
3. Extra Page (usually for out of character talk and character sheets)

There is a place to add the links to each thread built into the In Character and Extra Pages.

So it's no different than making different categories or channels on Discord you just have to find the right section of the

I hate formatted posts passionately
I agree that BBCode formatting is out of control and often a massive waste of time for all concerned, 100% agreed. You could (which is something I've been thinking about doing) establish a post template for your own forum game and disallow anyone from formatting outside your given parameters. This might hurt you with the BBCode-heavy crowd as some of them enjoy it to an absurd extent, but it is worth it in my mind, and an attractive enough pitch will have people disregard that entirely.

You could establish a post template for your own forum game and disallow anyone from formatting outside your given parameters.
Thank you for this! I think that's a wonderful idea! I'll definitely have to try this out if I make a make a group RP on here.

I like how it's an app I always have open on both my phone and computer so reply time is faster and I never forget to respond.
Well, RPN is opened on both for me as well as Discord. However, I do not reply via phones if I have a chance to use anything else in the nearest time, as i's rather uncomfortable for me to type using a phone, which makes me be bfrief and ignore any typos I make. Therefore, short, basic, and probably grammatically incorrect posts. I avoid using phones for those as much as I can, but I do read a lot nonetheless. That said, RPN has a rather comfortable mobile version.

1. Interest Check in the relevant genre.
2. In Character thread in the relevant genre
3. Extra Page (usually for out of character talk and character sheets)
Might I add that none of the three is also actually necessary? You can just pop into another person's search thread, and jump into the RP without any ritual dances around CS and extra pages too! You just approach the guy, establish what you wanna do, and hen just... do it. One thread. Nothing else needed, you only keep track of a single thread just like you would on Discord c:

You could (which is something I've been thinking about doing) establish a post template for your own forum game
Not to come off as mean, but-uh..?
1567976616202.png

Might I add that none of the three is also actually necessary? You can just pop into another person's search thread, and jump into the RP without any ritual dances around CS and extra pages too! You just approach the guy, establish what you wanna do, and hen just... do it. One thread. Nothing else needed, you only keep track of a single thread just like you would on Discord c:

That's how I do it for 1x1 but for groups, I think that can get a little chaotic, right? I mean, the purpose of this thread was to ultimately give me insight on how people prefer to roleplay because I'm working on a roleplay group for beginners to get them into roleplaying. That being said, it would be much easier to have everything organized than just in on thread. It really just depends on the type of roleplay you're doing.

That's how I do it for 1x1 but for groups, I think that can get a little chaotic, right?
I think this strongly depends on a group itself. Some might need more coordination than others, but in my experience extra pages are usually needed only for the DM, and are generally ignored by players. Unless we speak OOC, but I avoid those threads just because it's usual to get a hundred messages there per one message in the game, and it saddens me: reading about all the cool stuff players say they'll do instead of just going out there into the RP and doing it, you know? For this purpose many people create Discord servers, though, it's much faster.

I chose RPN but it does depend on the context.

If you're wanting to start up a group roleplay tailored towards beginners and find your players here on RPN I think it makes more sense to STAY on RPN.
Ignoring all formatting differences, word limits, etc... the fact of the matter is that you're finding these people through an existing RP forum. If they're beginners then this is likely their first (and only) RP website. Recruiting them off to yet another location strikes me as over-complicating things for a newbie who is likely already overwhelmed. It just means there's yet another medium they need to figure out and Discord can be super intimidating at first--especially in a group setting.

Personally, I think the easiest possible way to ease newbies into the RP scene is to be incredibly organized and clear in both recruitment and the set up of the RP. That means a nice table of contents with links to the pertinent areas (character sheets, IC, OOC, etc.) in the body of the text with everything laid out in a straightforward manner.

Also another side note for Discord would be that the fast pace can be yet another intimidating element for new roleplayers. It can be scary to jump in in the first place, let alone when you know someone is watching that little '...' at the bottom of the screen while you're typing in real time lol.

TLDR; for newbies I think it's best to stick to the location they're actually exploring, rather than introducing a new off-site location. If you're recruiting on RPN, stick to RPN. If you're recruiting on Discord, stick to Discord... at least initially.

Absolutely if this is for the newbie roleplay than I would stay on this site.

You also want to use multiple threads for organization and because it gives them a look at what each can do for future.

I haven't managed to join an RP on RPN yet, but in general I massively prefer forum RP over Discord. Not that I wouldn't join an RP on Discord but I find forums suit me better. In terms of reasons, I think it's because of something quite subtle. To me, Discord feels ephemeral - you post and then move along and it disappears - like chat RPs used to be, whereas forums feel more permanent - the story is up there and viewable forever. It feels like you're creating something that lasts.

RPN Forums

+ Better for really long and detailed replies
+ Saves your work across all platforms
+ Forums mean communication with other members is easier
+ Much more variety
+ Better customisation such as banners
+ Much less confusing when it comes to posting en mass
+ RPs here tend to last long if good
+ More satisfying to post replies
- Somewhat poorly optimised for mobile
- Replies are slower
- Notifications sometimes don't work
- Losing connection may delete your whole work

Discord

+ Better for speedposts
+ Replies are much faster
+ Chats are much easier
+ Very well-optimised
+ Multiple channels for different settings
+ Everything is in one server and more channels can be created at will
+ Voice chat
- Doesn't save your work across multiple platforms
- Speedposts mean the text channels can get messy
- Less variety
- Much smaller character restriction per post
- RPs don't last very long
- Mods and admins can easily abuse their position

Conclusion

RPN Forums better

Losing connection may delete your whole work
Good list. But anyone in their right mind will write their post in a word processor, like google docs, grammarly or word and then paste. Not that I think you don't know that. Just thought I add to the caveat.

Good list. But anyone in their right mind will write their post in a word processor, like google docs, grammarly or word and then paste. Not that I think you don't know that. Just thought I add to the caveat.
I mean, I don't. I just double check with the preview button to see if the internet is working enough for my post to get through.

You saying I'm not sane?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back