Advice/Help Politely kicking people?

Ganryu

Your Lovable Jackass GM
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)
I hate being the bad guy, but I find games work so much more smoothly when I end up kicking people for being too slow or not being up to par. Mostly cause it gets everyone on the same page and such.

That said, despite having to do it a ton, I feel bad every single time I have to do it. Mostly comes down to 'Rules say X, sorry, X isn't happening. Gotta kick.'

Anyone have any advice for 'nicely' kicking people out? Feel like I step on toes alot.

I hate being the bad guy, but I find games work so much more smoothly when I end up kicking people for being too slow or not being up to par. Mostly cause it gets everyone on the same page and such.

That said, despite having to do it a ton, I feel bad every single time I have to do it. Mostly comes down to 'Rules say X, sorry, X isn't happening. Gotta kick.'

Anyone have any advice for 'nicely' kicking people out? Feel like I step on toes alot.

Tbh your way sounds fine to me, assuming you give them adequate warning first. (Rules say X, you're not doing X, please do X in the future.) It's polite, and it explains the reasons why you feel the need to kick them. I don't think anything else is necessary.

Yeah I think when it comes to being a GM people worry a little too much about being nice and not enough about being fair.

If you say X in your rules and everyone else is doing X than why should Person be the only one allowed to not follow X? It’s unfair to everyone else and it is a quick way to create a whole lot of drama among players.

So don’t think of kicking people out as being “mean” think of it as being fair to the rest of your players who are doing what you asked.

I do second the suggestion of briefly checking in first though. There could be a legitimate reason why X is not getting done that can be fixed with a bit of help from you.

ex. If X is a certain number of words the player isn’t hitting and the reason is they don’t know what to write just have them read other replies and try to mimic the style or give some tips on lengthening their post.

If X is posting a specific number of times each week see if the person is having IRL issues and needs to be written out temporarily until their resolved.

I am not an expert on forum RP, but I have run Discord servers. Frequent ghosting mid-scene can be the kiss of death for group RP, and it's important to be aware of it as the admin.

I would implement a rule governing how long it is acceptable to make others wait. Depending upon the pace of the RP, you might allow people to take between 24 hrs and a week to get their post in. After that, their "turn" is skipped.

I noticed that this did not always deter problem players from jumping into every scene and delaying posts that might have been rapid fire by the maximum allotted time before being skipped out of the scene altogether. It really diminished the interest for other players, so there was an additional rule that if people kept joining scenes and holding them up without properly writing their characters out, they would be removed from the server.

It sucks to boot people out, but when there are stated rules in place that they are breaking, it makes it easier and fair.

I don't think there's anything you can do to soften the blow. Most people are going to feel defensive if they get kicked out no matter what. They'll get over it eventually though.

Person: *Crosses the line*

Me: *Internet pat* Alright lad, I'm letting you go-oo to other rps....your uh....figurative language is uh....too...advance...for this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back