• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Pokémon Rebirth Pt.1- IC [Closed]

Characters
Here
City of Menva, (Unnamed) City Streets – 7:15

Being held in place against his will, amidst battling a dangerous opponent no less, Stein visible struggled. Attempting to free himself from Goff's grasp. Unable to achieve this, panic naturally set in. Preventing the struggling Pawniard from seeing the intent of his ally. Instead, the Pokemon continued struggling even after the protective bubble had taken shape. “Goff! Have you lost it?! Let go! We can't give up-!”

At the same time, Goff seemed unresponsive to his partner's thrashing. The automaton's attention was consumed by the ground below their feet. Hoping to catch a glimpse of the Durant's whereabouts before it could strike. No, such luck. The ground split open in an instant. Pluming up dirt and dust as it spat out the rage consumed murder-ant like a demon clawing its way out of the underworld. The sight was enough to conjure up doubts whether a move like Protect would be enough to stave off this enemy.

For a moment, time seemed to slow down in the face of true terror. Yet, before Dremel could force its destructive maw into the bubble, a flash of light connected with his body. Two ribbons of soft, pink light enwrapping it, keeping it in momentary stasis as the faint image of a translucent stamp faded into thin air.

“My knights, retreat, you are not ready to face this dragon. Not now.” While the words were commanding in nature, the voice itself was gentle in tone. The way it carried was reminiscent of regality. Akin to a ruler who cared deeply for its subjects. In tandem, Goff's bubble faded with the immediate threat having been neutralized for a moment. Giving Stein and Goff a window of opportunity to nod at the rooftop from which the voice emanated before hastily retreating from the 'battleground'. As the two Pokemon disappeared deeper into the city, the owner of the voice released Dremel from his Imprison state. Awaiting what the ant would do in response.

Mentioned: -
Interactions: Zahzi Zahzi (Dremel)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

City of Menva, “City Center” - 7:15
Although a credit card had little use in a small settlement like Menva, the manner in which Allister presented – and explained – the card was confirmation enough that the man had both the funds and the willingness to pay for the service. As such, Asif's interest in the man's situation increased tenfold. Taking a more inquisitive stance towards the next item Allister presented. A square of paper highlighting areas of the Vale, presumably points of interest to the man.

Yet, he didn't need to inquire further to get more information regarding the highlights. Allister continued his explanation without needing a word in return. Allowing Asif some respite to mull over the words he didn't immediately grasp. It seemed it was best to simply start with what felt familiar. “Our sands are vast and hide many temples. This journey might take longer than you... assume. There are a lot of... preparation needed to brave the sands” The words were carefully chosen to be as shameless as possible. Clearly hinting at this endeavor being a costly one. Yet, before he could come to price negotiations, something familiar reflected light in his direction.

Jarid likely noticed him sooner, but even without the sun's rays dancing off Jarid's apparel Asif would've noticed the approaching tin can. In fact, it would have been more difficult not to notice the equivalent of a fully armored knight amongst a crowd of peasants. Thinking quick on his feet, Asif dropped negotiations and used the limited time he had to make Allister a hushed offer. A gamble to be sure, but at the same time an opportunity he couldn't pass up.

“A handful of salt?” Asif retorted as if the expression's meaning was lost on him, “You will dry up in the Vale soon enough, my friend! No need to... speed up the process.” Though he was still unsure whether or not Allister would take him up on the offer, there was no backing out at this point. “Jarid, was it? I see you have taken an interest in my... suggestion to come visit the pride of Menva!” In tandem with the words, Asif turned around, casting his arms wide at the ancient building towering over the crowd.

Despite the full willingness to commit to his theatrics, Asif restrained himself as the rest of the group arrived. “My friends! I see Jarid was not the only one... lending me a listening ear. Allow me to introduce you all. It would be my honor.”

Before continuing, Asif made a showy gesture towards Allister. “This is Allister, a man serving as an agent for the... Demon Corporation. Seeking out our temples for... powerful rocks of eons ago.” His gaze met Allister's for a moment, seeking confirmation before he made a wide gesture towards the group before them. “Allister, these are the people I've... spend the evening with. Jarid, Skye, Hugo, and Anai'is. Allister, if you would, tell them about yourself and your search.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Interactions: Noivian Noivian DevylCakes DevylCakes welian welian Zahzi Zahzi Foster Foster

A flash of memory seemed to find its way into Dremel's mind as he was caught in whatever annoying voice droned over the two idiots. Confinement in a tank. Experiment after experiment. Dull, white circles staring down at him as they jotted down notes...His earliest memory after waking up. In all that rage, all the seething hatred for every test they pushed him through, what snapped him back to reality wasn't the silence of the alleyway while the figure waited for his response, it was another memory. A hand taking at the only window of his confinement with what looked like a screw...Yet as soon as the memories came, they went, leaving Dremel silent as he looked around, his eyes readjusting to whatever came over him.

Eventually, his gaze made its way to the interloper. The one not only responsible for interfering in this fight, not only the one who let them escape. but the one that caused that pain to return for a brief moment. His calm demeanor from before dropped further than it had for the last two, hostile intent dripping from his maw as he glared up at them. Even to someone blind it was clear what kind of state they had left him in.
"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING TO GAIN IN PISSING ME OFF....?"

-----------------------

Jarid stared Asif down for awhile, listening to him go on and on in his weird, storylike speaking habit, his eye twitching under the goggles as he tried to make a quip about his attire. He was liable to beat him over the head with a wrench if there weren't so many eyes on them at the moment. What kind of madman would wear this getup if insulation and air venting weren't the point!? He shook his head as he got a better look at the...Wait, Demon Corpor- No, no. Asif must be fairly poor at this speech. This man had the look of a Devon Suit if he had ever seen one. Which would make it fairly entertaining if this Allister knew who he used to be. Boy howdy did he run a lot of hits in the old days to nab Devon tech. His prosthetic arm alone would probably breach seven of their patents alone.
"Demon, huh? I suppose it would need to be something supernatural to come here dressed like that." He'd play along for now. See how deep a hole he could put Asif to keep this one from being suspicious. Business wouldn't go well if there was already bad blood at the start.

Allister looked on with bemusement as fellow outsiders to these lands made their way into the conversation one by one, each expressing an interest in some element of the explanation he’d been giving Asif. An excitable bunch this lot, especially the fellow tripping over himself at the thought of meteors. He found it somewhat endearing, the many quirks and obsessions of those scientifically inclined. Still, while calm and collected on the surface Allister was mulling over Asif’s hushed offer in his head. It was tempting, although perhaps not for the reason Asif had imagined. A free passage into the desert meant little to somebody who had a global tech company bankrolling his time here but the convenience of having a team at hand so quickly, now that had his attention. It may seem unusual for his mission here to be time sensitive, what with him telling Asif the stones had been here for at least 500 years already, but Devon wasn’t the only group out there with an interest in these things. Who knows how many other individuals might already be out there searching in the sands? Best not to look a gift Ponyta in the mouth.

After Asif had finished politely introducing Allister to the group and butchering the fine name of the Devon corporation the white clad man offered a firm handshake to each of those present. When it came to Jarid he intentionally made sure the armoured man would be shaking with his artificial arm and lingered for a moment on the shake as he inspected it. The Devon agent’s smile faltered for a brief moment, something that only the truly observant would have noticed.

“Demon corporation? Nothing so sinister I assure you.” Allister explained with a hearty chuckle, giving the large man a well natured slap on the metal shoulder. “I work for Devon, perhaps you’ve heard of us?”

From here he willingly did as both Anai’is and Asif had asked and reiterated what he’d originally told the Vale local. His purpose here, the people he was working for and a brief history of mega stones for those who needed it. For the sake of fairness even he pulled out his now slightly tattered satellite image of the Vale and let each member of the group take a look at it before returning it to his pocket.

“So now you know my story, and how it is that I’ve come to reside in this lovely city.” Said Allister to the group, giving a slight nod to Asif at the end of his sentence as if the man was somehow responsible for the state of the entire city.

“Sadly, our mutual friend here tells me that I’m a tad underprepared to embark on such a venture into the desert alone. But with a team of individuals like yourselves… well, I dare say it’s quite do-able. I’m sure this venture would present a unique opportunity for each of you, and my employers are never opposed to settling their debts with those who’ve aided them. And besides-“

Here he turned and gestured to Asif with a flourish of his hand, to assist in making his point.

“-any friend of Asif’s is a friend of mine. If he vouches for you, then we’d be happy to have you aboard.”

This, of course, was a blatant lie. Allister hadn’t even known Asif’s name until Anai’is had let it slip during his introduction. But this was the blonde-haired man's home and living, so if he thought it was a good idea to convince this collection of random souls to join him on his trip into the Vale then Allister was willing to exaggerate a bit to make that happen. It wasn’t all lies anyway, the important stuff had solid foundations. Regardless of the groups intents, he was certain a journey like this would present many a unique opportunity. For better, or for worse.

Hugo looked up in a brief panic as his brother threw him under the bus – or perhaps, into the spotlight?

“We’re all interested in stones,” he emphasized, looking over at Skye. So far, he had been admiring her curiosity, and he thought she’d make a good field study partner… if she were into that, of course.

“But also, yes, I would be thrilled to work with the Devon Corporation!” Hugo reached into his backpack and pulled out a paper packet… a resume! Okay, so Allister didn’t exactly ask Hugo, or mention anything about a job opening, but come on! Of course, a graduate student geologist would have his ears to the ground when it came to employment opportunities!

As the map of the Vale was passed around, Hugo passed Allister his resume in return, and eagerly scanned the map to see what information he could glean from simple details such as relief shades and colors of the ground. He was unsurprisingly disappointed when the image was returned to its rightful owner.

“I’m Hugo Mousa, I’m here representing Professor Palmer from the Galar Geologic Institute for field research.” His eyes were shining, and he was openly simping for this potential future employer now. “You’re welcome to tag along with me, but you have to promise not to lick the rocks without disinfectant. It’s, er, a thing.”

"Correction, most of us are interested in stones. I am interested in the history of the stones." Anai'is corrected, though it was all clearly in jest. He was looking at his brother so fondly, eyes bright with mirth and expression full of pride. He looked like an older brother looking down at a younger brother-the only difference was the fact that Hugo was actually older than him. Well, at least physically. Waving that fact off, the archaeologist glanced between Asif and Allister for a brief moment before giving a faint bow of greeting.

"I am Anai'is Baniti Mousa," he offered, moving closer to his sibling so he could wrap his arm around Hugo's shoulder. It was an obvious gesture to show any and all of them that they were siblings. "I represent the Baniti Institution of historical artifacts as one of their main archaeologists. Should you have any questions about determining age, material, value and worth-or if you just need any assistance with object identification-I am more than happy to assist," Came the rather eloquent and winded lie from the man. Anai'is was not the type to assist where he could, not unless he could get something out of it.

The archaeologist worked in ways that involved curiosity rather than money. No amount of money could move the man and why would it when he had more than enough himself? No. Anai'is worked in feats, honors, and fascination. If the venture promised something interesting then Anai's would happily accept. Now was certainly no different.

At least, the near secrecy made it seem so...

Skye smiled nodded eagerly as Hugo looked over to her - the poor guy looked like he could use a lifeline right about now. When it came time for her to look over the satellite image, she took a moment to try and distinguish the landmarks, as a topographical map meant for tourists didn't exactly line up one-for-one with a photo from space. It was moved on to the next person before she had a chance to pull out the circled map she'd received, however, much to her well-hidden disappointment. Ah, well. If he was going to be traveling with the group, there would be plenty of time to look at it and compare notes later. Perhaps the stones that the map talked of were mega stones...? Were there Pokemon in the area that had mega evolutions that had prior gone undiscovered...? But why would that make the stones move?

Cirrus bounced on her shoulder, nudging her with her head to prevent her from dazing off into imagining the possibilities. She tuned back into reality in time to hear Anai'is introduce himself to the new man. "Right, I'm Skye Finnegan, author of the Castelia Times best selling book 'Ghastly's and Clefairies: Pokemon Myths With Surprising Truths'. I'm here on behalf off Professor Juniper in Unova, studying the mythology of the Pokemon in this area." She took a moment, after her flustered introduction, to read the group briefly. Already, Jarid and Allister seemed to be scoping each other out. And of course Jarid had a bone to pick with Asif. She doubted anyone here was terribly thrilled with the local at the moment. Another nudge from Cirrus prompted Skye to jump into another hasty introduction. "Ah! Right! And this is my partner, Cirrus," she stated, gesturing to the Eevee on her shoulder.

God, she really needed coffee.

- - - -
Interactions: basically everyone lol

City of Menva, (Unnamed) City Streets – 07:20

Stepping forward and perching herself onto the edge of the rooftop, the mysterious voice revealed her appearance. The Xatu spread her wings for a moment, revealing the intricate design of her feathers to the world as she took in the warm sunlight. “Oh morning sun, your light vanquish night yet not darkness. Do you wish all see the light, or are you blind to its shifting form?” The bird posed her question to the skies above, waiting momentarily as if expecting to receive a response from the heavens. When none arrived, she cast her eyes downward to inspect Dremel from the safety of her rooftop. “Oh beast of rage, knights have come to slay the drake once more. A path has begun to take shape, yet not one you wish to walk. Will you walk with me, or must history repeat itself?”

Though her reluctance to leave the rooftop seemed to reveal her understanding of the danger Dremel posed, her expression appeared hopeful. Believing somewhere within the senseless rage was someone she could relate to. A sense of familiarity compelled her to await an answer even while the risk of being attacked was dangerously high. “Oh beast of rage, what path will you choose to walk?”

City of Menva, “City Center” - 7:20

Whether it was some odd, unexplainable act of fate that made this group of individuals so willing to work together, or Allister's 'sales pitch' convincing them all, Asif could not help but present himself with a relieved smile. He would choose to be an idle bystander for the time being as he listened to the introductions. Doing so out of courtesy, and to take in any new information that might present itself under these circumstances. Only once they were all finished with introducing themselves did Asif choose to provide some information himself – free of charge.

“My friends, I am happy to see we all get along! Out in the Vale, you will need this kind of... cooperation to stay alive.” his mouth retained its relieved smile, even when mentioning the possibility of death on the horizon. Choosing to ignore that something about Allister interacting with Jarid seemed off, for now, but making a mental note of it for later use. “But! Do not fear. I know these sands. With the Astral Prince's... guidance and you, my friends, working as one, we will not come before Tarhanet before our time! You have my word as your guide.”

Asif then turned to Skye, gesturing towards her and Cirrus respectively. “My author friend makes an excellent... adding- addition! How can we... present ourselves as a group and not show everyone?” He said, commenting on Cirrus' introduction while he took out two Pokeballs of his own. Releasing the Pokemon kept within in tandem. Once the red glow subsided, the shapes revealed to be the familiar Galarian Slowpoke they had met at the inn, and a Wooper riding atop his back. “Please, my friends, meet Ashar and Meerab. They are family, please consider them yours too.”

Despite Asif's excited demeanor and gestures in presenting his partners, the two Pokemon did not present themselves with similar energy. Ashar, the slowpoke, let out a long-winded noise that could either be a greeting or a yawn. Meanwhile, Meerab, the Wooper, sat on Ashar's back and presented himself with a wide, dopey smile and not much else.

Interactions: Noivian Noivian DevylCakes DevylCakes welian welian Zahzi Zahzi Foster Foster

All while the Xatu spoke to the heavens and continued making its dramatic presence known, Dremel took that time to remove the gap between them, scaling up the building it perched itself on with malicious intent. Whatever this bird made him see caused whatever possibility to reason with him to not only fly out the window, but leave orbit at mach seven. If the Xatu in question continued trying to talk at Dremel, it would receive an answer in the form of a Crunch, which, in terms of speed for these two, the ant had the upper hand.

The look of murder in the Druant's eyes should have been all the answer the Xatu would need. Yet, at the same time, perhaps this was necessary. It wouldn't take a genius to see there was something wrong with Dremel's mental state. Something was driving him to be this violent, at least uncharacteristically so compared to other Durant. Perhaps in conflict it could be drawn out.

-------

Well. It seemed the suit already suspected something. Maybe not just some pencil pusher after all. Fun.
Jarid looked from the two pokemon back to Asif, giving a shrug.
"I have Dremel scouting the area for now. I'm sure by now most of you have become.....Acquainted with him. Just give him space and you might keep all your limbs." he announced, purposely rolling the shoulder the prosthetic was apart of to incite doubt to his own claims. A...Joke?

"Once we have a better grasp on our actual task, I will need to inquire with whomever intends to cover supplies and, if necessary, munitions." he added, before looking around.
"Also. I have been searching this place for hours. Where do you receive mail from? I am expecting a package..."

As proper introductions were carried out it quickly became clear that this was a fascinating collection of individuals. The geologist was practically radiating enthusiasm and Allister couldn’t help but find himself getting swept up in it as Hugo thrust a resume at him that he’d apparently had on hand for just this sort of occasion. Considering he was a field agent Allister actually had little to no say in the hiring process at Devon, but he could always pass along details to those who did, should a promising individual make themselves known. He made a show of flipping through the resume and his eyes caught on the important details. After a few moments he looked up and shot the grad student a grin and waved the resume at him.

“We have a deal Mr Mousa, I’ll be sure to keep my rock licking urges in check. Do you mind if I hold on to this for a while? I’d like to check it over more thoroughly when I find a quiet minute.”

The next to introduce themselves was who Allister assumed to be the elder of the two obvious siblings. He came up to Hugo and wrapped an arm around his brother’s shoulder, perhaps the gesture was merely made out of fondness but Allister detected a hint of protectiveness. Allister was somewhat surprised to hear that Anai’is was an archaeologist. Of the many he regularly worked alongside he’d never met one quite so…. Eloquent. They normally lent towards fanatical in their work. Perhaps this one would make for a nice change of pace. Once he was finished listing off his skill set the Devon agent assured Anai’is that he’d take him up on his offer, but didn’t pry any further. There would be plenty of time for them to get to know each other if everything went as planned.

Finally there came Skye, author and mythology expert. It didn’t click when she said her name but once she mentioned the title of her book Allister’s eyebrows shot up.

“That was your book? I actually read that on my last trip to Johto, fascinating stuff.” He explained, before his eyes were drawn to the Eevee atop the woman’s shoulder. You’d have to have a heart of stone to not admit that the creature was cute.

It was not however the Pokémon that caught the man’s attention the most. That prize belonged to Asif’s dear slowpoke.

“Ahah! A fellow Galar native, how lovely.” The man chuckled as he crouched down beside the two Pokémon and gently patted both the Slowpoke and Wooper on the head. “I’m afraid my dear partner Pokémon is ill suited to our current location so for now…”

Allister plucked an ultra ball from his belt and allowed it to grow to its full size in his palm. Standing up, he pointed it at a space between himself and the two brothers and the ball burst open in a flash of light. When it subsided a Duraludon stood there quite content, her off-coloured metal coat shining in the harsh sunlight.

“This is Northstar, I’m sure you’ll all be seeing a lot of her in the days to come.”

The dragon type let out a low rumbling noise in the back of it’s throat that those familiar with the species would be able to recognize as a greeting.

Meanwhile Jarid’s Pokémon was nowhere to be seen but the way he spoke about it brought to mind something large, with plenty of teeth. And looking at Jarid, that’s exactly the kind of beastie Allister expected him to have bonded with anyway.

Skye couldn't help the way her eyes sparkled and grin grew wider when he mentioned reading her book. "Really? You read it?" It shouldn't surprise her that people read her book - it was a best seller, after all. But this was one of the few times another professional seemed to take an interest in her work. Sure, she knew her book had made its rounds through other scholarly circles, but she never really... heard about anyone actually enjoying it? It felt weird to reflect on it now, to be honest.

She restrained her desire to pester the man about what he thought of her book, as he turned to address the Pokemon and introduce his own. That's right, she hadn't introduced her other partner. With a slight sheepish smile, she pulled out her other Pokeball, giving the button a press to enlarge it and tossing it up briefly to call out the Grotle within. "This is my other partner, Pangaea." She knelt by the large turtle's head, giving him a soft pat. "Sorry I didn't introduce you initially, buddy..." The grass-type gave a soft snort of amusement, nodding to show he didn't mind.

"Of course, sir! I have extra copies if you lose it, too! Last guy I interview with accidentally put it in the paper shredder, can you believe it? Poor guy."

Underneath the facemask, Hugo was beaming – his resume had been accepted (as far as he knew), Skye was a REAL author, someone who had written a real book that wasn’t some boring, dry scientific article, and to top it all off, all these Pokemon were adorable! Even the sleek, regal Duraludon was cute, in her own way.

In retrospect, he was probably the least impressive person in the group, but… that was okay. This trip would be the magnum opus of his graduate work, hopefully.

“Here, fair is fair. Some of you have met Squiggles, and here’s Brisket.” Hugo released his two spirited, energetic Pokemon – the handicapped Lotad with the stunted leg, and the unmedicated Rolycoly.

"Ooh, sunshine! Exercise! Dancing!"

"SAND SAND SAND WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

If Hugo had any inkling that his precious Pokemon were embarrassing him, he pretended not to notice.

"I hope I see a bonfire soon, or maybe a grill? I think Brisket's got some instincts kicking in, you know, like a Yamper chasing Wooloo. Oh, maybe he'll settle down if I stick him in a pizza oven..."

Now that the gang had introduced themselves and "everyone" seemed to have a plan in mind, Anai'is knew it was time to split up. Any further small talk would waste their time as well as his sanity. There was also the very uncomfortable riddle they still needed to solve on the map. Migrating rocks, curious Pokémon, and a whole region to explore-how grand an adventure.

Surveying the group, Anai'is began the process of elimination for who he should be grouping with in this foreign land. It'd be idiotic to split up and have one person go alone, especially in such an unfamiliar region. And as much as he would like to follow after his older brother, he knew their interests lied elsewhere at the moment. Meaning that Hugo and Skye would likely go to the City Center, Asif & Alistair would stick together, and that left... Jarid. Given that Jarid was looking for a supplier and that he was more than happy to handle any and all incoming expenses, it was fairly obvious that they would need to journey together now. If one also added the fact that Anai'is did need to go to the Bazaar... Well, the answer should be rather obvious now.

"I'll be your benefactor for now, Jarid." The Archaeologist spoke up, feet already moving him closer to the other man. "I've need to go to the bazaar anyhow to start the curious investigation of the map Sky found as well as figure out more about the history of this region." Anai'is explained, coming to stand beside the other man with a polite smile stretching his lips.

"I hope you don't mind my joining you, of course? I assumed we could stop by the mail center on the way to or from the bazaar," the man suggested, gesturing for his Pokémon Archie to follow now. The large Arcanine did just that, though not before providing a greeting to Hugo's Pokémon. They were siblings after all... Sort of.

Not Really.

Lifting his nose, the Arcanine, brushed up against Squiggles, muzzle nuzzling against the creature before steering completely clear of Briskett as he rejoined Anai'is. He knew better and he didn't think he needed to explain why.

City of Menva, (Unnamed) City Streets - 07:24
“Your path has been acknowledged, I shall snuff out thine vile flame,” the Pokemon retorted upon recognizing the intent for violence in Dremel's hateful gaze, “witness!” After her cry, the talkative Pokemon fell silent. Her eyes closed to purposefully blind herself to the threat before her. All in an effort to empty her mind. The sudden silence ushered in an uneasy stillness over the immediate vicinity. The calm before the storm. When she opened them again, a faint blue light slowly faded away from her eyes. The Pokemon had calmed her mind and was now ready to face the threat before her.

City of Menva, "City Center" - 07:24

With some help from Allister and a few careful nudges in the right direction, it seemed that the group had come together under a common banner; their collective desire to explore the desert sands. Having been selected as the group's guide, Asif couldn't be more pleased with the ease at which everything was playing out in his favor. The gamble of relying on Allister to help bring the group together had paid off, and Asif struggled to show anything other than his pleased smile. Yet, his expression still shifted – for but a moment – when Allister referred to Ashar as a 'fellow Galar native'. Even the Pokemon himself seemed to shed his dull expression and glanced back at Asif when being addressed as such.

Luckily, before he had to find a way to respond to this statement, the conversation shifted into the impromptu Pokemon display Asif had hoped would happen by presenting his own partners. Once all the 'cards' were out on the table, they appeared to be a good variety of types to combat whatever might be lurking out in the desert. However, there was a notable lack of Pokemon able to combat the most basic threat; the heat. Adding Squiggles to Ashar and Meerab meant they had three Pokemon total able to provide the water they'd need.

While Asif pondered whether this would suffice, his Pokemon got a different understanding of the group for the simple fact that they could understand them. Prompting the duo to collectively gaze up at Hugo with an expression that could only be interpreted as “what happened?”

“Ashar, Meerab, I think our friends would find staring... disrespectful,” Asif mentioned, after noting his Pokemon doing so. Then, his attention shifted towards the group once more. Mainly towards Anai'is, who seemed to have a plan for handling the necessary preparations. “You know how to find the bazaar? It is very near the Inn. I will take our friends into the temple to find more... stories about Tarhanet.”

1639214863147.png

City of Menva, Bazaar - 07:24

Getting within the vicinity of the bazaar is enough to recognize the area as a 'bazaar'. The distinct scents of Menva's berry produce, being dried under the warm morning sun, blend together to form an overall pleasant experience for the people wandering the stalls. The spice of the local cuisine tingeing the senses. Imparting a slight 'taste' of it to those passing by. And such was just the area designated to carry the daily produce.

Further down the path stood stalls with a wide variety of curious items to entice the tourist population. Locals working their trades. Jewelers working roadside to show off the shimmer of their wares. Glassblowers displayed intricate and colorful ornaments that captured the sunlight beautifully. All brought together under the colorful rafters above. Dancing in the light breeze, adding both overall decors as well as providing shelter from the climbing sun. It almost made it seem the bazaar was a world of its own. A place in the desert where the sun could do no harm. Where the sands below one's feet did not burn but shine - with a thousand dancing colors.

Where the items for sale were all magical in appearance, but only a few 'magical' in nature.

This made it difficult for common folk to decern whether the price of an item was equal to its actual worth. There were those who happily made use of this uncertainty to make a living, but none quite so well-known as 'Odd-Eye' Joud. An older man. Always one eye closed. Always slightly hunched over as he sat behind his wares. A display of seemingly random items ranging from shimmering jewelry to slabs of stone inscribed with odd, possibly counterfeit, markings. His business plan was a simple one, but it built him a certain reputation all the same. There is likely more behind it than meets the (odd) eye.

Interactions: -

"ENOUGH OF THE FLOWERY BULLSHIT!" Dremel roared, though perhaps the notion an ant could roar is somewhat concerning, that might be the least of everyone's concern as this particular disgruntled insect had found itself in range of its target, its mandibles glowing bright as an electrical charge linked from both points and fired directly at the Xatu. A Thunder Wave, of all things for the aspect of rage to utilize..!

-----

Jarid's mask stared at Anai'is in the same way a predator would question why prey would draw near. In this case, Jarid was concerned why the one he had already nicknamed 'Hostage' would consider partnering with the established violent element of this group. Stockholm Syndrome on some Carbos-trip? Horrible judge of character? He COULD just be an idiot. Money does seem to rot the brain these days it seemed... Regardless, Jarid just shrugged, looking over the Hostage's pokemon for a time before resting his gaze toward the bazaar.
"So be it." he finally responded, reaching into his coat to pull out the notebook he had been writing notes down into. Flipping through the first pages that a quick eye could PROBABLY interpret as horrific weapons not meant to see the light of day ever, was an in-depth list of materials and components that could either be the order for a rather intricate mode of transport. Or a bomb. Maybe both, going off Jarid's disposition.
"If we intend to survive in the desert without relying on the good will of others, this is going to be the bare minimum. Here's hoping your coffers aren't too finite."

The mail could wait if this was seen to first.

Anai'is wasn't one to brag about his riches, at least... In his mind he wasn't bragging but stating facts. So when the mention of finite coffers, the Archaeologist didn't hesitate to speak up.

"Technically, all coffers are finite... Regarding mine, I assure you that you needn't worry. If I were to somehow begin to run out, I'd only need to make more and that wouldn't be a hassle either." The man announced, words more factual than smug or haughty. Of course, the surefire confidence could easily make him sound more arrogant to others. Anai'is wasn't the type to shy away from stating facts and it'd be a waste of time if he did. Something he assumed Jarid would appreciate. Less talk meant more work and the Archaeologist wanted results and progress.

Turning away from Jarid, Anai'is smiled politely towards their guide, and gave a light bow of gratitude. "Yes, we should be fine finding it." He replied, eyes tracking right back towards his newfound companion. "Now, shall we...?"

Thankfully, finding the bazaar had not been hard at all. Following the advice of returning towards the Inn, it didn't take long for him to see telltale signs of stalls and merchants. Interest piqued and pockets feeling full, Anai'is didn't hesitate to his prickly companion in the right direction.

A prickly companion who he had shared nothing but snide remarks with for the last fifteen minutes or so. It'd started in silence but had slowly devolved into them playing a game dog and cat. Anai'is would ask a question, Jarid would be snide and the Archaeologist would rebuttal in kind. There was just something about it that was almost... Endearing. As if they were slowly becoming acquaintances with the way they hissed and spit with such stiff decorum at each other. As one would say, it seemed there would never be a dull moment if they were together.

Traveling further into the marketplace, Anai'is searched for anything that might be of use. Whether for traveling or for assisting in his work. It was as he was peering around that the man found something to pique his interest. There, not far in the distance, Anai'is could make out carvings in stone. Whether there were real historical items there or not couldn't be seen from where they stood and the man needed to satiate his curiosity.

"There," Anai'is directed with a brief nod of the head towards the stall he wanted to see. "I think we might find something interesting there..."

After what felt like a month of introductions, it seemed like the group was ready to go on an adventure! Hugo hoisted his backpack up, readjusted the shoulder straps. He continued to seem oblivious to the antics of his Pokemon, even with Asif’s Wooper and Slowpoke starting concernedly at his Lotad and Rolycoly. Both his Pokemon were now trotting in circles around him, looking like a pale imitation of a dust devil.

“So… Tarhanet, right?” Unlike Skye with her diligent notes, Hugo has admittedly been two beers deep into last night’s card game, and the details of the local legend currently escaped him.

“Since we’re visiting a temple, does that mean you go to church? Like, on Sundays and stuff?”

Temples were alright places. They weren’t as cool as rock formations, but old buildings were usually made of stone, and you could tell a lot about a place by the stones they used – sandstone, probably, in the desert. Or anywhere, really. Sandstone was soft and easy to work with, though it weathered away easily in the rain. Somehow, Hugo got the impression that rain may not have been a significant concern for ancient construction workers.

On second thought, maybe you couldn’t tell much at all.

“… And if you go to church, Asif, does that mean you do community service? And volunteer?”

As preparations began and tasks were divvied up Allister was content to sit back and let the others plan who would be going where and doing what. He was an outsider to this group and had no intention of butting in and crossing any lines that had already been drawn between this group of fellow outsiders. It seemed there was some sort of plan taking shape anyway, no need to intervene whilst things were going smoothly. Tinman and moneybags had transport sorted, and with any luck basic provisions considering they were heading to the bazar. Allister didn’t know how long they’d be out in the sands but he’d feel a lot better with a backpack full of goods that keep him and his Pokémon happy and safe in these sands. As both Northstar and Yvenyal’s mineral based typing left them unbothered by sandstorms only Allister’s frail human form was at risk of being flayed alive by a sudden storm, so at least he wouldn’t have to worry about them there.

“I’ll join you three at the temple if it’s all the same to you.”

It would be a real stroke of luck to find anything pertinent to their search this early but the temple presented a very real chance of providing information that could be useful to them. As he had already speculated, there was a chance that an event as notable as a meteor shower of evolutionary stones could have embedded itself in local lore and legend. Perhaps the truth would have been warped by time and word-of-mouth retellings but it would be up to them to extract truth from myth. Besides, when faced with the options of a shopping trip with an Ursaring pretending to be a man and a walk around the local place of worship, Allister would always take the latter.

"Yes! Tarhanet. It's been noted extensively here..." Skye stated, pulling out her notebook again and flipping through it. "Supposedly, something in the city center - I'm assuming this temple - has something important. I'm not sure what it could be, but every clue's worth looking at." As she made her way towards the temple with the group, she couldn't help but roll her eyes at Hugo. "Not all temples are churches. They act differently depending on local religion and belief. Some might not require community service." She had half a mind to put Pangaea back in his Pokeball, but the grotle seemed to be enjoying the sunlight, so she let him walk along slowly behind her as they traveled. She turned to Asif, "Is there anything you can tell us about the temple beforehand?"

City of Menva, (Unnamed) City Streets - 07:27
As the colors faded, yellow streaks replaced light blue in the Xatu’s eyes. A reflection of the electrical charge jumping back and forth between Dremel’s mandibles. Staying true to its name, the discharge came fast as lightning itself. Clipping one of the bird’s wings as it attempted to move out of harm’s way. The charged arcs bounced between the Xatu’s feathers for a brief moment. But then, she spread her wing downwards. The force of the wing moving seemingly broke the arcs. Forcing the current to dissipate into shimmering sparks before dying out completely.

“You have light within, oh beast of rage,” the Xatu spoke, bringing both her wings forward as the words left her beak, “yet a spark of thunder shan't illuminate vile darkness. Witness!” The empty space between the bird’s wings steadily started to vibrate as a growing force began to take shape. Drawing in the shadows of the surrounding area to increase its mass. Within mere seconds, the clustering shadows grew into a pitch-black orb coursing with energy - a Shadow Ball. One the Xatu swiftly send forward, on a direct course towards her opponent.

“WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU ABOUT TALKING!?” The Durant charged forward caring not for the danger presented by the ball flying at him. A glancing blow across his face seemed to just make him more angry…As if that was possible. Though, he did seem a lot more focused on putting what was annoying him most down. Violently.
His mandibles grew dark as he got within reach of the Xatu, preparing a Crunch aimed directly at it’s head.

Failing to foresee the Durant would charge instead of dodge, the Xatu had no option but to put up a defense against the oncoming attack. Pulling her wing up to catch the mandibles before they'd deliver a dangerous blow to the head – sacrificing the limb instead. Caught between the mandibles, the wing felt different. Firmer than would be expected of a thin, feathery wing. The Xatu forcefully dislodged her wing from the ant's mandibles. Released, but far from unharmed, she bounced back to create distance between herself and the threat.

“Enough! I shan't yield to you, drake!” she cried, harnessing the pain of being struck into a counter offense, “Witness!” The damaged wing began to glow with a swirling mix of black and deep purple. The color sunk deep into the feathers before releasing from the tips in the form of guided energy projectiles. Using Payback to return the 'favor' of being harmed.

The impact of the attack slammed against Dremel with a similar force to his own, causing him to take a step back. While this didn’t deter him, it seemed to continue the running theme of angering him further. As an eye began to twitch, he walked toward the Xatu menacingly.
“If I hear you say ‘witness’ ONE MORE TIME, I AM GOING TO PUT YOU ON A GRILL.” he roared as he slammed his claws down onto the ground, causing nearby rocks and debris to fly toward the Xatu in a violent manner. A Rock Tomb had been formed.

Weakened from the previous Crunch, the Xatu realized the unlikeliness that she could dodge a barrage of rock and debris. Instead, opting to shield herself once more with her wings. While the volley of stone couldn't compare to the intensity of the prior Crunch, it made movement more difficult for her - even after the stones lay unmoving once more. The ground surrounding her talons was now scattered with tripping hazards.

“Your darkness will swallow you, beast of rage, you must find a different path,” she responded to Dremel's threat, raising both her wing towards the sky. The light blue glow returned to the bird's eyes before a deep red aura engulfed the bird, growing steadily. “Lest the knights return to slay the drake.” Obscured by the growing aura, the bird brought her wings down. Prompting the aura of her Night Daze attack to expand violently. Forcefully displacing the rocks and debris as it indiscriminately harmed all in its path. Only after the aura had fully engulfed the rooftop did it dissipate. When everything settled, the Xatu was no longer present at the point of origin. She had used the obscuring aura as a means to flee from the battle.

Standing his ground beside a larger chunk of debris for cover, Dremel jumped back into the fray to retaliate against the Bird of Empty Words, only to find that they had used their last theatrical stunt to flee entirely. In a rage he latched onto the debris he had used just moments prior with his mandibles and threw it into the air. Whether or not it was even NEAR where she had absconded off to was unknown.
“YOU WASTE MY TIME AND THEN RUN OFF LIKE A DAMN COWARD!? I AM GOING TO FIND YOU AND-”
It would be at this point where the narrator of this enraged insect would pull the plug on allowing others to listen in on his ranting. Lest various organizations and support groups be drawn into equally-various levels of ire over his vocabulary regarding the horrific maiming of a particular psychic bird….

City of Menva, Temple of the Five - 07:34
After taking a brief pause to ensure Anai'is and Jarid had taken off in the correct direction, Asif turned his attention to the crowd. Bringing out the inner tour guide he'd so diligently kept down even when the star attraction of Menva was within reach. “My friends, I would like to... introduce you to the heart of Menva; the Temple of the Five.” The man spun around, his excessive attire chiming as the adornments hit each other. Then, he moved forward, his Pokemon following diligently. Collectively assuming the group would follow suit.

Making their way through the crowd, the short conversation, and subsequent questions reached his ears. “Ah, Skye, yes I will tell! This temple is a place of worship not just for Menva, but every person from the sands!” he exclaimed, glancing back at the group, “it holds records of the Vale's... begin, and a tale of legend. The union of men and mon freeing the sands from a... tyrant's grip.”

Hugo's questions seemed to give Asif pause for a moment – breaking his theatrics. So vastly different from the generic questions he'd get time and time again, it took a moment to process the request and produce a response for it. “I do not visit this temple as often as I should, but I do... service our community? However! For you, my friends, I have arranged a.. meeting with someone who knows this place far better.”

As Asif stepped up to the entrance of the temple, he couldn't get himself to enter. Not before his own questions were answered. “Hugo, what does 'on Sunday' mean? Are your temples... closed on other days?”

Interactions: Noivian Noivian welian welian Foster Foster

City of Menva, Bazaar - 07:34
Making their way through the colorful and fragrant bazaar could be considered close to an otherworldly, perhaps magical, experience. Though the enchanting glimmer of this desert gem was somewhat dulled by the hustle and bustle that came naturally with a crowded area. Among the stream of people and the occasional accompanying Pokemon were a few by now familiar faces.

The Inn's barkeeper, who'd decided to take to the streets after all of his patrons had left the building, seemed busy arguing with a salesperson about the increased price on locally dried berries. The salesperson in question, one of equally loud voice, retorted with his reasons for doing so.

Peering through the sea of faces, the two could catch a glimpse of the musician from the night before. The look on her face suggested she wasn't browsing the stalls for anything specific, but rather something that would catch her on a whim whilst at the same time deep in thought. Her furrowed brow hinted at the serious nature of her pondering.

When Anai'is and Jarid merely moved in the direction of Joud's stall, the man was already at high alert. One eye tightly shut, the other squinting terribly. When that didn't clear up the view for the elder, he resorted to leaning forward. Putting his full weight onto the arm resting atop the stall in hopes that the leaning would enhance the visage of the people approaching him.

“Gaharna..?” the man muttered carefully, waiting for the two to come within better range for his eyesight, “ah, blast that lying eye!” The man stood up from his seated position and held out his open palm towards Anai'is before he could bring in so much as a greeting. “Hold your tongue, child!”

Joud's gesturing hand moved towards Jarid. Pointing a finger at him as his one open eye observed the metal man top to bottom. His expression steeped in disapproval “Bah, not even close. You may look it to this old eye from a distance, but you're not half the knight he was! Now that was a real hero. Freed this land, he did! Before my time, be it, but sure as the sands way before yours, kid!”

The man slumped back into his seat, thoroughly disappointed by the display. “Well? What are you buying?”

Interactions: DevylCakes DevylCakes Zahzi Zahzi

Before Jarid could find anything to take in with the sights, it seemed the fates continued to toy with his patience. This time with what seemed to be a near-sighted old man spouting crazed fables and conjecture. If he was expected to be a hero in someone's fairytale, then the entire world was fucked.
He gave a sign, shaking his head. His helmet did many good things. It kept both the sun and sand out of his eyes. It had a small fan built to keep him from boiling alive. But most important, it kept everyone else from seeing the indomitable annoyance plastered on his face from what, what, at this point, seemed like the village drunk going off on one of their drunk tirades.

Jarid leaned slightly toward Anai'is, still staring down Joud.
"Be mindful of what they try to make you pay. This place reeks of predators."

"We are just perusing for now, old man."
he spoke up, taking a few steps toward the man.
"Materials for a project to get around the desert with the least amount of duress as possible. Unlike myself, the rest of the group is comprised of children and the frail."

------

While the two dealt with their own issues at the bazaar, everyone's least favorite Durant had made its way back into a populated area, with even more rage built up in its expression than usual. He also seemed to have kept the ball the first two fuckwits had been playing with, and had it nestled near the plating of its head. His attempt to accessorize? Best not bring it up...

He looked around for a moment, not seeing Jarid, but instead, more importantly, that sniveling little shit from before.
And so, instead of continuing his search for Jarid, he decided, to make the executive decision, and make a b-line for his target of ire.

That rock-licking bastard.​

Noting down what Asif said, Skye followed diligently behind, like a schoolgirl taking notes on a class fieldtrip. Only with much more enthusiasm. When Asif asked Hugo what he meant by Sundays, Skye couldn't help the slight snort she gave. "Sorry, no offense," she cleared with the wave of her hands. "Churches typically hold mass, or rather, have gatherings where everyone listens to their spiritual leader talk and pray together, only on Sundays. Certain other holidays also have special services given for them. Sometimes people will do things other than mass in churches - I've seen choirs practice there most commonly because the high ceilings are good for acoustics - so they're not closed, just not serving a religious function." Skye shrugged. "Though, not everyone who practices Azurism goes to church. My grandparents managed a local shrine to Arceus back in my home town, so technically they also practiced Azurism, but a separate branch of it." With a slight startle, she realized she was rambling again. "Sorry, religion and folklore are kind of my specialty... I can get carried away sometimes."

“Closed? Well, uhm…” That question threw Hugo for a loop, and his relief was palpable when Skye took over and answered all the hard questions. Thank Arceus, because it had been a couple years since he last stepped into a proper temple!

“Wh-what Skye said! It’s different for everyone.” Hugo nodded, satisfied with his own non-answer, oblivious to the violent insect Pokemon steadily homing in on his location. “No sweat, Skye,” he added, smiling under his facemask. “Everyone’s got their own specialty. Yours is culture, mine is rocks. And we are… surrounded by millions of tiny rocks. I don’t know about you, but I’m baaaasically in Heaven.”

“Now, Mr. Asif, you called this the Temple of Five.”
The young geologist turned back toward their odd new friend. “Five what? Is that something you or Skye knows, or is that a that a question for whoever we’re about to meet?”

He did not hear the scuttling of murderous intent over the ambient din of the desert breeze in his ears.

Last edited:
A greeting hadn't even finished falling from his lips when the older man cut in fervently, eye wild and voice irritatingly flippant. As someone who wanted nothing more than to spend their coin, this was most certainly off-putting. Even more so given that Anai'is had not expected any bouts of craziness from Joud, evident in the way he leaned back in aversion. He'd seen the stall and thought there might be something of interest... Clearly not. Holding his tongue, the Archaeologist regarded the stall keeper carefully as Jarid took over handling the conversation. If one could consider an elderly man reminiscing about a "knight" conversation, of course...

It was only when Jarid leaned in to warn him off that Anai'is felt a smirk tug at the corner of his lips. He could very well handle his own but the fact that the man wished to "protect" him was certainly cute. "The price doesn't matter but I'll keep that in mind." The man replied, tone holding both humor and fact. The amount didn't matter-nothing they would spend could make a dent in his coin purse.

Now with that being said... He also didn't want to waste money. Leaning in, the man looked across the stall to review what items Joud had. He also intended to make conversation while at it. "What items do you have for sale?" He inquired, eyes tracking across the display before cutting up to meet the other man's gaze with a sly smile. "I hope you've something exciting... If not, you could tell us more about this "Gaharna.""

City of Menva, Temple of the Five - 07:38
A mixture of intrigue and momentary confusion took hold of Asif's facial features. The man expressed an obvious interest in new information – not just the topic at hand. Rather, all foreign information he could get his hands on. Yet, it took a moment of leaning against the temple door in a lost state before the pieces of Skye's explanation found a point of reference. “Spiritual leader..? Like our Prince? ..Ah, apologies my friends!”

Asif snapped out of his pondering after realizing he was the one stalling their quest for knowledge. Forgoing his questions for the moment, he turned his attention towards Hugo. “The Five.. are spiritual leaders? Followers visit their temples and make... offerings, yes?” He seemed unsure in his choice of words. His eyes searching Hugo's for confirmation. Not entirely convinced he was making a correct comparison between what he'd just learned 'spiritual leaders' were and the equivalent of gods to the people of the Vale. “..Shall we instead head inside, my friends?”

Sufficiently out of his depths, Asif didn't display the courtesy to wait for an answer and instead whipped around to face the temple door. His jewelry and clothing 'ornaments' clanging against one another.

Pushing open the temple door, there was a small hallway leading into a large inner hall. Large pillars of stone held up the tall ceiling. Cast iron fences between the pillars allowed view, but not access, to the faded but once intricate carvings and paintwork lining the walls of the open space. The center of the inner hall was decorated with a sizable fountain circulating water that seemed to almost shine. A spring of absolute purity if judged purely on appearance. Beyond that, at the end of the hall, there was a candle-lit altar. Carved from stone, as all things seemed to be, and decorated with numerous ornamental items of undoubted religious significance. Kneeling before said altar, unresponsive to the entering group, was a woman clad in white robes.

“Please, my friends, witness the history of our Vale.” Asif said, ushering his little 'tour group' and their Pokemon entourage into the hall.

Interactions: Noivian Noivian welian welian

City of Menva, Bazaar - 07:38
Jarid's seemed to lessen the old man's interest by the sentence. Be mindful of what they pay. Predators. 'Just perusing'. Yet, his attitude shifted upon hearing Anai'is interjection about the price not mattering. Intriguing him enough to reevaluate the duo's needs once again. “Materials for crossing the desert. Bah! The ol' Hippowdon not good enough?” Despite another snide remark, Joud did seem to consider the requirements for a moment. “You need a car of sorts. Locked tight, keep the sand out. Keep that tin suit out of the sun too, or you'll roast like a Grumpig.”

“We can sort out the details, tin can, just a moment.” Joud finished, turning his eye towards the other stranger at his stall. “Whatever's on display is for sale.” He stated bluntly, gesturing his hand over some of the collection of Vale-related oddities. “Here's the deal, your friend here's already making quite a bill with his order so ol' Joud's feeling generous. Take anything on display for free if you both don't haggle over the price for that car you want. I'll throw in something extra too.”

The old man gets up from his seat and extends a hand towards Anai'is. “Do we have a deal?”

Interactions: DevylCakes DevylCakes Zahzi Zahzi

A car.
This entire place looks like some janky rendition of some fairytale story involving a egotistical Thundurus, a thieving Mankey, and an irate Chatot - and THIS gawker is trying to sell them a CAR.

Let's forget the first issue of the lack of roads here, making access to fuel an ordeal of its own. There is then the problem stemming from replacing parts easily, battery woes, hell, even the glass for the windows would be a monumental problem that would probably end up making this entire ordeal the stuff of nightmares!

"....How many idiots can be seated in this vehicle? Not counting pokemon, we have about five or six to tolerate."

One step at a time. If he's spending time dealing with the mechanical woes, it's less time he has to spend on dealing with people. He could replace fuel intake with a roided out system using solar, wind, and the energy derived of spite if needed. Even if it was some ramshackle two-seater, that can be altered. More time to himself. All the better.

-------

Speaking of dealing with people in a healthy, non-violent manner, perhaps we should glimpse back to the slighted Durant that is closing in on Hugo with the murderous intent of a rabid beast. Now, to onlookers, it probably looked like nothing at all. A seemingly innocent scene of a Durant scuttling out of the path of the general population with one totally-not-targeted individual on the other side.

It was almost whimsical. Until the mandibles snapped together a few times in rapid succession. Almost like he WANTED Hugo to turn around.
Perhaps this wasn't a hunt after all. Maybe just a threat? One without the need for strife?

Yeah, who actually believe that? This ant was choosing violence and this kid might need to run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back