Viewpoint Pokemon - Realistic, Classic, or Something Else?

GojiBean

Your resident irradiated Kaiju King
Roleplay Type(s)
Hoyo all!

This is a discussion post asking a simple question for Pokemon fans!

Do you prefer a more realistic Pokemon adventure (ya know, with actual science, physics, etc?), a more classic Pokemon adventure very in line with the games, or perhaps a totally different kind of adventure that's a mix of the two, or something entirely different from either?

I'm more of a "realistic" Pokemon adventure guy cause I like imagining the "what if they were real" concept for a lot of different types of fantasy stories like Pokemon.

How about ya'll?

I would prefer to use a dice system if I wanted a game that focused on Pokemon battles. Otherwise, I would prefer more a written fantasy story. But I don't see a lot of added, real world science/physics coming into play too much if I were to instruct/run a Pokemon RP. I would prefer to closer to the original mechanics of the game as I could. :)

I prefer a worldbuilding approach.

Basically, except the whole elemental creatures thing, but actually consider how they all fit into a greater world.

A friend of mine created an entire new setting where Pokemon were essentially animals. They fought, they ate each other, humans ate them, but they're still Pokemon.

I feel like making it realistic takes away a lot of the charm for me

I think I'd prefer something closer to original game vibes, without too much extra realism. Just going on a fun adventure with friends.

Classic pokemon and anime, with a dash of worldbuilding.

Four moves a pokemon feels restrictive, but that's where my complain with the game ends for adapting to a roleplay setting.
As for anime, yes I want my lil' electric mouse to beat a stone snake with the help of sprinklers but no I don't want anyone telling me creating an electric shock that powerful would drain so much energy it is detrimental to the species. Let me teach my 2 kg bird how to carry me to the air.

As for worldbuilding, I love me some extra details to the world!

I prefer the manga vibes for pokemon roleplay where people still cockfight their dragons for funsies but you can also get slapped to death by a walking witch hat if you're not careful. I dont care much about the sciency stuff behind pokemon, but I want those spoopy dex entries to be used.

I like science-y non-science. Physics would be fun to consider in a world where a wallaby-size mouse can call down lightning bolts from the sky and humans are apparently durable enough to be hit by such an attack and not get killed.

I like a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP that's more realistic in a whimsical world-sense. As in: Doesn't follow game mechanics strictly but it's realistic but not completely. It's there, but not the focus, like actual Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, which is why you face Legendaries as a first form Pokemon and win

• Ditching the 4 moveslot thing. Your Pokemon can learn every move they naturally learn up to that level, all egg moves learnable by a parent (which determines their parent). TMs must be learned during the RP
  • The ability to learn all abilities with enough training
  • Weather conditions having an additional effect (like rain causing a waterlogged effect to highly furry Pokemon alongside the fire power drop, and simply being close to lava making water moves dissipate, alongside lava causing PERMANENT damage if touched)
  • The chance of actual death instead of KO
  • Being KOed in the sky is a legit risk to life
  • Dungeon "Floors" being an area that you're traversing if you're travelling
  • Clouds- If you're travelling in the skies, if you're above the clouds, you get a -6 accuracy when targeting enemies above it
  • Cross-region adventures

I've done this before, and it remain my favorite RP I've done on this site. It was a story about Avery the Teddiursa and Tesla the Mareep. First they saved their friends trapped in the sea temple. It gained them their official guild badges, making them full-fledged adventurers. Avery's father started trying to break them up, seeing the two boy as too close of friends for comfort and wanting to bolster Avery's power. His ability Quick Feet gave with it a demonic burst of anger and the rising of an entity within him Demon Ursaring, which would make him go berserk.

Through trying to control Demon Ursaring, protect his friends, and take on the nefarious mind-controlling Malamar, they meet multiple guilds and find a moonlit cult worshipping Lunala, the hardcore general Edward Weiss the Gallade as well as his wife, the beautiful motherly Lady Sera(phina) the Gardevoir-M who connected them with a guild in Hoenn, the High-Flyers

The High Flyers, a guild in Hoenn. An aspiring Support member, Iris the Ledian and aspiring leader Cherub the Togetic, fly out to Kalos from Hoenn to anticipate a massive unnatural hurricane and evacuate the residents before it strikes. Cherub struggling as a Togetic in a pacifist group, he struggles with his identity and it's Iris's job as the support to follow his lead while advising him on the best course of action.

Guild Green Forest and Guild High Flyers meet up and chaos ensues as Malamar's cult makes its stake on the Legendary Beasts

Amazing RP. Too bad it didn't get to finish, but all of this was possible by putting the world and story-telling above honoring game mechanics, and occasioanlly allowing for plot-driven OP moments (like mega-evolutions). The issue with a lot of Pokemon RPs is that honoring game mechanics gives rise to metagaming moreso than most other fandoms. I want exactly NOT that in my RP

Avery the Teddiursa and Tesla the Mareep. First they saved their friends trapped in the sea temple. It gained them their official guild badges, making them full-fledged adventurers. Avery's father started trying to break them up, seeing the two boy as too close of friends for comfort and wanting to bolster Avery's power. His ability Quick Feet gave with it a demonic burst of anger and the rising of an entity within him Demon Ursaring, which would make him go berserk.
That sounds amazing! I love the exploration element of mystery dungeon series. I think if I ever did a Pokemon RP it would be a similar premise, where most of the lands had yet to be discovered and the characters were tasked with exploring that vast and dangerous world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back