• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Points of Light: The Slaying Stone

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
GinkyGotBack GinkyGotBack Sara Sidereal Sara Sidereal HisLordOfLongleaf HisLordOfLongleaf

When the small goblin offered their help Shimmer was glad. “Thank you, please help move the meat the Kobolds have chopped up over here.” Shimmer indicated to where the Kobolds where.

With the chopped up wolf in the centre of the bridge, mixed with three of his rations, Shimmer said, “Now let’s hurry into the tower. I don’t want to be around when they wake up.” With that he started to run towards the tower while placing his paw on his shoulder to try and stop any blood from dripping onto the floor.

Interactions:
Sara Sidereal Sara Sidereal (Grak) Shadeofshade Shadeofshade (Shimmer) HisLordOfLongleaf HisLordOfLongleaf EldridSmith EldridSmith (???)

Waiting for you at the entrance to the tower was the old lady who had first beckoned you to safety and had later tried to assist you with the wolves. Her skin was dark like chocolate but covered in wrinkles. Despite her age, her hair was a sheen shade of black. It was wavy and short and shaved on the left side. She didn't seem to have any problems with your monstrous origins as she stood by the doorframe, welcoming you. "Please, do come in. Make yourselves comfortable and help yourself to any of the food on the table." Indeed, it was a very comfortable looking room she had invited you into. A fire roared in a nearby hearth, warming the room and slowly drying yourselves the closer you stood next to it. There was an assortment of foods lying on the table, including roasted quail, sliced pork, roasted cabbages, and red wine that warmed your insides. As you made yourselves at home, a regal-looking man descended a nearby flight of stairs to join you. He had long, curly brown hair that nearly hung down to his waist, and silky smooth skin that you could guess had not seen the sun in quite some time. Topping it off was a somewhat ridiculous braided goatee that was too long to be taken seriously.

"Welcome, travelers. I do hope your journey here wasn't too uncomfortable." He walked across the room and took a seat at the head of the table, clasping his hands together and resting them firmly on its surface. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Kiris Alkirk, the last heir to the Kiris bloodline and ruler of Kiris Dahn. Or at least I was up until eight years ago.." Alkirk shifted uncomfortably in his seat, clearing his throat quite loudly. "You've already met my advisor, Treona." Treona, the old woman, sat rocking in an oaken rocking chair. She watched you all with great interest as she listened sleepily to Alkirk's words. "We've been keeping an eye on your exploits over these past few days. I must say that I'm very impressed with your.. unique set of skills. If it does not trouble you too badly, I would like to request your services."

GinkyGotBack GinkyGotBack Sara Sidereal Sara Sidereal HisLordOfLongleaf HisLordOfLongleaf

Shimmer was glad to be out of the rain. He hoped that he was not dripping blood on the floor as he entered. The food looked good but Shimmer had three...four objectives in this tower. He decided to sit next to the fire as he took off the top part of his clothes so he could sort out his wound.

Not long after getting his top off did a rather posh looking guy come down the stairs. He introduced himself as Kiris Alkirk, the last heir to the Kiris bloodline and the former ruler of Kiris Dahn. Shimmer smelled a story here and wanted nothing more than to hear it but had something else to do first.

“Greetings Sir Kiris Alkirk, my name is Shimmer. Before you acquire my services, I would like to request some bandages and the service of your Adviser, Lady Treona, in helping me patch myself up.” Shimmer ask, he indicated to the bite mark on his shoulder. “I don’t believe you want me to be bleeding everywhere and I find the idea to be disrespectful towards you, when I am patched up I would love to do nothing but hear your story.” he explained.

Grak moved to the side and stayed against the wall after entering. He eyed the strange big ones with some combination of suspicion and fear, but said nothing. One of his minions stayed by his side, while the other scampered over to the table, oblivious to everything, and brutally savaged the food.

The one not stuffing its face spoke, trying - poorly - to sound confident. "The great Grak have own mission. We sworn to him. What you need do? How long it take? What shinies you offer?"

1569192053358.png Rolói Kidemónas had doffed his armor and let it dry by the fire before helping himself to some of the food on the table when a band of unusual looking creatures and people came in. He held no prejudice as all were equal under the law and even rulers needed to be held to the standards they themselves set. He had arrived early upon receiving his summons to this place with the promise of hearning vast land he couldn't help but arrive early to verify this. However he waited for the others to arrive before announcing his presence to them.

f33e32a4a7169cb295f2028560fb636b.jpg

Kenku Ranger
Tower -- Group Discussion

Much like Rolói, another early arrival remained quiet as Kiris Alkirk spoke clearly to the assortment of travelers.

She, like them, had been drawn to the tower and was contemplating many things as she heard as Kiris Alkirk engaged in conversation with another traveler. The Kenku didn’t speak much, preferring to respond in gestures of the hand and body instead. She still wasn’t sure what it was that the tower’s inhabitant, or perhaps benefactor, required. She continued in her silence, observing. “Strange Fellows.” She mused in her thoughts as she looked over an assortment of parchment she had held onto for many years. Trying to appear insignificant and ignorable. The human-looking man in armor concerned her, but only because he carried with himself a strong presence that could not be ignored. What kind of venture did Alkirk need from such an assortment of characters?

She was curious, surely, though she imagined further explanations would be made quite soon.

Last edited:
Interactions:
Sara Sidereal Sara Sidereal (Grak) Shadeofshade Shadeofshade (Shimmer) HisLordOfLongleaf HisLordOfLongleaf (Sue) EldridSmith EldridSmith (Rolói) Gowi Gowi (Kenku)

"I beg your forgiveness, my feline friend. I was not aware of the extent of your injuries. Treona had only divined that you would come to us hurt, but I could not imagine it would be so severe. Treona," he called and the old woman stood up from her chair and went to explore the various cabinets that lined the walls of the room. When she had found the cabinet she had been looking for, she plucked an iron ring of keys from inside the sleeves of her dress and thumbed through them. Curling her finger around a key with an intricate heart-shaped bow. Using it to unlock the windowed cabinet, she took a clear crystal bottle filled with a red liquid. She brought it to Shimmer and placed it gently in front of him. She smiled and told him to "drink," and then shuffled back to her chair.

As this was happening, Alkirk had given his attention to the kobold that had spoken for Grak. Tapping his fingers against a closed fist, the noble nodded his head and looked at the banquet laid before him. "Yes. I am well aware of your master's 'mission'." He said the word with such a dismissive tone that he seemed very uninterested in whatever it was Grak had to do. "Rest assured, this task will not take up any more of your time than it should. Treona has divined your success, meaning the only thing left to do now is to simply accept and venture out to do it."

Alkirk stood from his chair and approached the fire, staring into its flames seeming almost entranced. "Eight years ago, as I have already told you, my family ruled over the town of Kiris Dahn. It was a beacon of peace and kinship. That was until the goblins arrived at our gate and overtook the city, renaming it Gorizbadd. Normally, such an attack on our tranquil town would have resulted in failure. Only this time, we were without our most powerful weapons. The slaying stones."

Treona nodded halfmindedly as she rocked back in forth in her chair. "Kiris Dahn and the Kiris family were once the proud owners of eight stones, the slaying stones. Powerful items that used great and terrible magic capable of killing the town's enemies. Throughout time, the Kiris line had exhausted their supply of slaying stones, all used to destroy various threats to the town. The goblins came in great numbers, and with no stones to scare them off, they overran the town. The townsfolk fled Kiris Dahn and left for the other nearby settlements, while Alkirk, his family and I were forced into exile." The old diviner stretched her fingers in and out over the arms of her chair. The warm smile on her face had long since passed once she began her tale of the slaying stones and the fall of her hometown. "After that, I was just happy knowing that there were no stones left for the goblins to abuse. However, one day, as I was studying some old texts that I had brought with me to this tower, I discovered something most disturbing."

"There were nine. Not eight. Nine stones. I don't know how, but it was lost to my ancestors and it still remains hidden somewhere in the ruin of my once beloved town. Although the stone can only be used within 5 miles of the town or within Kiris Dahn itself, it is still a terrible item should it fall into the wrong hands." Treona added, saying, "Though I doubt the goblins would be capable of it, if anyone were to somehow find a way to produce more slaying stones it could be disastrous."

GinkyGotBack GinkyGotBack Sara Sidereal Sara Sidereal HisLordOfLongleaf HisLordOfLongleaf EldridSmith EldridSmith Gowi Gowi

Shimmer took the bottle gratefully and drank it. With the drink, he could feel the wound on his shoulder healing. The wound closed but there was some pain still there. “That’s better.” he thought. With his shoulder now not something that he needed to worry about, he listened to what Sir Kiris and Lady Treona had to say.

As Shimmer listened to what happened, he took particular interest in what these ‘Slaying Stones’ were all about. “So, if I am not getting anything wrong, you would like everyone here to go retrieve the Slaying Stone from the Goblin that took over and liberate your town correct?” asked Shimmer.

Kenku Ranger

The Kenku looked up from her papers, as talk of the nine slaying stones continued.

“Stones,” She uttered in Alkirk’s voice before switching to a voice unfamiliar to the rest of the group, “must be destroyed.”

It was the first thing the Kenku had said since she had arrived in the tower. By her assessment, they either needed to acquire the stone or destroy it so it didn't fall into the hands of someone despicable. What if the wards binding it to the area around the town were removed as well as a way to duplicate them were found? For the greater good the stone needed to be found and destroyed or locked away somewhere for all of eternity.

Last edited:
The Goblin known as Sue stays near the back of the room, trying his hardest to analyse and take in everybody there, after mulling over the words in his mouth for a long time he speaks.
"Goblins as good as dead, stones as good as rescued, jut one question... what in it for Sue?"
He then jabs a thumb into his own chest to indicate that he is in fact Sue.

Interactions:
Sara Sidereal Sara Sidereal (Grak) HisLordOfLongleaf HisLordOfLongleaf (Sue) Shadeofshade Shadeofshade (Shimmer) EldridSmith EldridSmith (Rolói) Gowi Gowi (Kenku)

Alkirk shook his head, a sad look took over his face. "I'm afraid that there may not be much you can do about Kiris Dahn. The goblins have been lording over it for eight years now, left to vandalize and violate to their heart's content. They are too large in number for even the five of you to handle. Even so, if there was a way for you to run them off completely, I'm afraid my long to rule has long since passed since that fateful day." As the Kenku spoke up, his sad demeanor was overtaken by one more serious. There was a fierce determination in his eyes, a strong will that had no doubt kept him going all these years. "Yes, it must be destroyed. Find the stone and return it to us. Once it is in our possession, Treona had devised a ritual that will be powerful enough to rid the world of the stones once and for all." As Alkirk spoke, Treona began to clear off the table, much to the gluttonous kobold's dismay.

"As for rewards, I am sure you will be fairly interested in what I have to offer." He turned his attention to the solemn kobold, "Grak," he said. "I am to believe that you are searching for more kobolds, though I do not understand your reasons for doing so. In Gorizbadd, er, Kiris Dahn, there are many kobolds that have taken up residence in the slums of the town. There you will surely find some allies to take back with you to wherever it is you live. However, they are under constant threat by the goblins, and you may find it hard to smuggle them out without dealing with them first."

"I have already promised our good friend Rolói that should he return the stone, I would gladly part with Kiris Dahn to him and his Gray Company cohorts. Once you have cleared out the goblins and the other undesirables, I think you will find that it shall make a great outpost or stronghold or what have you. Even before the stones' existence, my people were able to hold off many invading forces from behind its rushing river. It was only our reliance on the stones after we came to create them that led to our downfall."

"Kenku, I ask for your forgiveness but Treona's magics could not divine your name. I am well aware of what has happened to your flock, and I am just as aware of those who did away with them. Should you succeed in bringing us the stone, we would share with you the name of the band of thugs who hunted them down as well as their leader's name. I know not whether you seek revenge on them, but perhaps just knowing who did it and for what reason will be enough for you."

"As for you two,"
he said, gesturing to Shimmer and Sue. "I hope you will find your rewards most acceptable. Sue, though I cannot say I look upon your kind with anything but strong contempt, I would be more than willing to pay you in whatever riches I still possess. Which is to say, a lot of riches. Coins and gems by the handful, should you accept this task. If that does not please you, then perhaps we can figure something else out. As for Shimmer, well, I suppose the adventure and the opportunity to learn something of history should be enough for you, eh? Treona is old and has many stories to share, and she would be happy to share them with you upon your return."

Treona returned from the next room where she had brought the plates. From out of her sleeves, she took out three scrolls and placed them gently on the now clear table. "These scrolls contain a ritual that is attuned to the slaying stone. Once used, a ghostly image of the stone will appear from the scroll if it's nearby. If not, nothing will appear and the scroll is wasted. It's best to use them in the center of whatever building the stone may be hiding, so that it may search the area more thoroughly." Taking another rolled out piece of parchment from her sleeves, she too laid that on the table, spreading it out for all to see. "This is a map of Gorizbadd. It should be fairly accurate, besides a few building the goblins may have already destroyed. The texts have led me to believe that the stone lies either within the library, one of the town's temples, or within the Kiris estate. The goblins live mostly in the northern sections of the town, so they should be out of the way of the more populated areas. I recommend that you enter from the southeast, where it's least populated, but you are of course free to decide how you will do things by yourselves."

1569267641529.png

Sue's eyes go wide at the mention of riches but seem to have a special light to them when the stories are spoken of.
"Want that! want stories for tribe!"
he puffs out his scrawny chest.

Kenku Ranger

The Kenku moved her hand across her beak, as if considering the offer.

She didn’t remember much about the day her flock was lost, but what could the information do? She had repressed so much of her former self, but the inclination to hurt and torture was still there. She could feel her blood turn hot as Alkirk mentioned that he would share the name of the thugs who drove her flock into the grave. If she had that information would she act on it? Would it be too tempting? She didn’t wish for vengeance but at the same time she did. A perplexing thought.

Despite her own interpersonal conflict, she did find it moving that she had found direction—and maybe a new flock in the process.

Last edited:
GinkyGotBack GinkyGotBack Sara Sidereal Sara Sidereal HisLordOfLongleaf HisLordOfLongleaf EldridSmith EldridSmith Gowi Gowi

At the mention of being told stories and the history of the place, he could do nothing but have the biggest grin on his face and purr. When the Goblin, Sue, said that she wanted stories for her tribe he could only purr louder, Shimmer thinks he likes Sue. When Lady Treona came back and produced some scrolls he calmed down to listen to what she had to say.

The first scroll seemed to be one to confirm that they were close to the stone and the second was a map of the town. “You can consider me in your service for this job. I will be ever so happy to receive any stories and legends.” Announced Shimmer. With his announcement made, Shimmer turned to everyone else and asked, “Who else would like to join me in this little journey to find a stone?”

Kenku Ranger

The Kenku nodded at Shimmer, looking over the individual more closely as she stood up from her chair. Could this be the new flock master?

“Yes.” She said in Alkirk’s voice before gathering another voice and phrase she heard in the past. “Will come.”

Last edited:
Grak motioned the kobold by the table over to him and the three of them huddled up and conferred for a moment. Eventually Grak addressed the strange man.

"You say won't take longer than it should. How long?" He pointed at the woman. "She has the far sight? Can she see magic stone? Its surr -- surroun -- stuff near it?" He turned back to his comrades for another second or two of murmuring.

"How we know you say truth? Never seen stones. Never heard of them. Never met you. How we know they even exist? Shinies good. Living better. Other places have kobolds."

1569275380908.png "I must thank you for your most gracious and generous offer, and I am pleased to inform you that I have heard nothing but good things about your families deeds during my time at the Grey Company. The lost stone your noble of family had given the king will be recovered, but for the sake of law and order I would like to view the destruction of this stone as to insure chaos does not gain the chance to gain another foothold in these lands." The world is already teeming with chaos, we don't need another source of it to appear in these forsaken lands or Help help us all.

Interactions:
Sara Sidereal Sara Sidereal (Grak) Shadeofshade Shadeofshade (Shimmer) HisLordOfLongleaf HisLordOfLongleaf (Sue) EldridSmith EldridSmith (Rolói) Gowi Gowi (Kenku)

Alkirk was visibly pleased that most of the adventurers had agreed to perform this harrowing task for him. However, Grak had some suspicions that quickly wiped the happy expression from his face. Reaching into his vest, he pulled out a stone, about the size of a chicken egg and places it on the table. The stone was a dark shade of black, covered in runes that may have once glowed with light but had now gone dark. It was ice cold to the touch and there was a crack in the middle that went down to about halfway through the rock. "This is what remains of a slaying stone after its purpose is fulfilled. I had no choice but to use this stone to destroy the leader of a small army of hobgoblins that threatened to take the town."

"Yes, indeed, there are other places in the Nentir Vale that hold kobolds. But tell me, have you ever seen a tribe of kobolds that weren't already serving someone? Perhaps a dragon or some evil sorcerer, perhaps?"
Alkirk stood silent as he let that thought sink into Grak's head. There was never any sign of annoyance or malice in his voice, but one could tell that he probably had some sort of reluctance to working kobolds, and especially goblins. "The kobolds of Gorrizbad have no master. They live in the slums of the city, constantly under threat of the goblins, but eager to spread out and populate the rest of the town. I'm sure if you assisted them or helped them to a better place, that they would be ever so eager to come with you."

Alkirk sat back down, picking up the old slaying stone after everyone had had their fill of ogling it and placed it back within a pocket in his vest. "This task realistically shouldn't set you back more than a day. The town isn't fairly big, and as Treona has said the stone's location been narrowed down to only three places. As long as you carry the map, finding it should be a fairly easy task. It is getting to it and bringing it back that might prove difficult. As long as the town isn't aware of your presence, however, you should be alright."

Alkirk nodded slowly at Rolói's words. "In truth, I have no interest in this Gray Company of yours. However, given my family's ties to the Nerath's empire and the current state of Kiris Dahn, I have no qualms with giving you my once precious town. Of course, once you bring the stone to us, Treona shall destroy it before you all so you may put your hearts at ease." Treona pursed her lips and set her gaze to the floor. "In truth, once a slaying stone has been used, it is no longer of any worth. It becomes a husk of its former, sinister self like you have just seen and loses all its magic. However, I cannot guarantee that the one who uses it will be completely unaffected. There have been many in the Kiris line that has used the stones and had some misfortune fall upon them. If you were to use it, we would be satisfied with only seeing its remains. However, I would strongly advise against doing so."

Grak had not seen anything like this stone before, but he had worked for a dragon long enough to know a (former) magic item when he saw it. Time for another huddle. This time, the kobolds were a little more excited.

"...whole town of kobolds..."
"...big heroes..."
"...unending gratitdue..."

Finally they broke.

"Grak the Invincible, he who kills all with big magic, agrees to your terms," said one kobold minion in a weird voice, like he had been practicing just this phrase in non-regional diction for some time. "We should acquire transportation to our destination." This last was as much to the others assembled as it was to Alkirk.

It seemed everyone was into this adventure. Shimmer was putting on his leather armour and travel cloths on top. When he did, Shimmer said, “Well now, some transportation would be nice but I feel that we will need some more information.” He turned to Sir Kiris and asked, “So I just would like to find out, are other races allowed in the town of Gorrizbad besides Goblins and Kobolds, are visitors allowed in Gorrizbad and how will we know when they are trying to use the Slaying Stone, if they are about to try to use it?” knowing that he might be prying a bit too much he added “Just to be fair, I’m just trying to make sure that we can complete your request in the safest way possible.”

Last edited:
Interactions:
Sara Sidereal Sara Sidereal (Grak) Shadeofshade Shadeofshade (Shimmer) HisLordOfLongleaf HisLordOfLongleaf (Sue) EldridSmith EldridSmith (Roloi) Gowi Gowi (Kenku)

Alkirk smiled softly as you all had agreed to help him and Treona. You might have noticed that it was the first time he had done so since your arrival. "Excellent. Wonderful. Fantastic. Thank you so much. Your help is appreciated. Much more than you can imagine." Alkirk blinked and frowned as Grak suggested a means of transportation. "I'm afraid you won't have any luck with that. The roads to Gorizbadd have long since been abandoned and I'm afraid we don't have a wagon or any horses to lend you. It should only take you an hour or so to reach the town on foot, but if you can find a way to get there faster than by all means."

Alkirk scratched at the stubble on his cheek as he listened to Shimmer's questions. "We've never seen anything besides goblins and kobolds in Gorizbadd. Kobold's aren't exactly allowed, per se. I'd wager that if the goblins were ever to successfully infiltrate the kobolds' slums, they'd either enslave or kill them. Goblins simply love bullying other creatures." As he says this, Alkirk steals a glance at Sue before returning his attention to the Tabaxi. "I don't think you understand, my friend. The goblins do not run Gorizbadd like a town. They do not make businesses or start families, and they rarely build anything unless they have to. To them, Gorizbadd is a place where they can do whatever they please, destroy what they please, and kill who they please. How do I say this? They have no structure. The closest you'll find of any organization on their part are some guards at that wreck they call a gate and the odd patrol. If they find you, they will kill you for sport or enslave you for their benefit. It all depends on the twisted little mind that's in the goblin you run into."

At the mention of the slaying stone, Treona's head perked up. "It is not my belief that the goblins are aware that the slaying stone is in the town. As far as they know, all the slaying stones have been either lost or used up. The only ones that know about the last slaying stones are in this room. Anyone else who might have known about the stone is either dead or missing. If one of the goblins did happen to find the stone, knew what it was and used it, then that would be it. However, I don't think the goblins would so easily waste such a prize. They would no doubt keep it to dissuade any invaders from interrupting their neverending party. Although that's just my assumption." Alkirk added to that, saying, "When a stone is used, the air around it grows hot and dry. A cloud of some kind of energy erupts from the ground, swallowing its victim. Then, the stone grows cold and its runes go dark and it can never be used again."

With that explanation, Shimmer was satisfied. “Very well.” said Shimmer, before he turned to the other members of the new party he was joining. “Before we leave, I think introductions are in order.” Shimmer then stood facing his new companions, bowed and said “My name is Shimmer, I’m an entertainer by trade and my routines are story telling to anyone who wishes to hear them and I am also a flute player, I was born a runt and thus I have poor health but a strong body.” He then remembered the fight he was in not too long ago, “When I’m not dropping my weapons, that is, I still can’t believe I did that.”

1569631514063.png "I am Rolói Kidemónas, paladin of Helm and agent for the grey company. Just stay near me if you won't want to get hurt." He says rather bluntly without elaborating any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back