• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Plight of Vacosa, IC

The man looks you over, noting your well kept arms and armor. "I'm Lucas, Maxwell's second." He says. "Unfortunately, we're not hiring at the moment. Budget concerns have us underpaying our people already, so I can't contract anything out out."

"However." Lucas said before anyone could interject. "We do have a bit of an overflow in our evidence lockers. A few illicit magic items and the like." He said, his tone becoming speculative. "Given how busy things are around here, It's not unreasonable to assume that things might slip between the cracks. Especially if we suddenly find the location of Fernando, a smugger of equally illicit goods." Lucas' gaze turns knowing. "Such a shame. The perils of paperwork, I suppose."

The news of no work causes Ryphle's shoulders to sag down a millimetre with a disapointed sigh at the tip of his tounge, but then, when the second in charge says "However," Ryphle holds his breath and looks attentively at Lucas.

The drow's pale lavander eyes blinks owlishly at the man, not understanding a words that are said. Illicit magical items. Frenando. Smuggler. Slowly Ryphle connects the dots.

"So, you're saying..." Ryphle says, making sure his assumption is correct. "That a good clue to Frenando has a reward for the volunteerers?"

"He said nothing of the sort, Ryphle," Quelanna says with a certain amount of condescension in her voice, "to offer evidence as a reward to mercenaries would clearly be wildly against regulations. The good man is merely pointing out that the apprehension of a smuggler of illicit goods might involve some pieces of evidence getting lost and impossible to keep track of. If it so happened that the people who assisted in Fernando's apprehension were to find illicit magic items at that same time, magic items entirely devoid of paperwork marking them as evidence, of course, why that would merely be a happy circumstance. Am I right, Officer Lucas?"

"Indeed." Lucas said with a nod. "Given the sensitive nature of some of these items, it would be best if you were to contact me, personally, if you happen to apprehend Fernando." Officer Lucas' expression became very severe. "Some items are simply too illegal for them to simply slip through the cracks in the system, even if they happen to be found by altruistic freelancers. Do I make myself clear?"

"Any idea who might know where this Fernando character is?" Quellana asks, giving Lucas a penetrating look.

Nym stood uncharacteristically quite simply taking in the buildings interior. The "Magic items" That this man spoke of did interest her, with a soft hum she trained her sight back to the man. "If you have a picture of him and a bit of details." she addd.

Ryphle's eyes darts between the officer and Quellana and then just mimics Avala into an agreement. The high elf's highbrow explamation went over the drow's head, some of her vocabulary making him tilt his head, but he takes it as a no to his assumtion. So, no rewards. Okay.

Even so, looking around and hearing his party, some of the ladies might be intrested in the case.

"I'm afraid I can't talk about an ongoing investigation with civilians." Lucas said. "However, I did hear from a friend of mine that the old industrial district has seen an uptick in activity, so perhaps you may be able to find the employment you're looking for there." Another meaningful look. "Well, I need to get back to work, but if you happen to be in the old industrial district and see a man with a green snake tattoo on his wrist, give him my regards." Lucas said, before bidding you good day and heading back to talk with the other Watchmen.

"We will," Quelanna assures Lucas before turning to her fellows, "we just happened to be going in that direction anyhow, isn't that so, guys?"

“Ya, well let’s get moving.” Nym turned on her heel and began to walk out of the building. Once out side she stopped. “Await how do we get there...”

After asking for directions, you soon find yourselves at the edge of the old industrial district. Abandoned buildings dot the streets, boarded up or closed off. The place is a pale shadow of what it once was, with workers and supervisors long gone, and replaced by vagrants or those whose dealings fall on the other side of the law.

People on the streets clear out as you make yourselves known, giving you wary looks and distrustful stares as you walk past. One however approaches you, an older Dragonborn, her once lustrous scales now dull with age and hard living. Dressed in tattered clothing that haven't seen water in a long time, she has a desperate and fearful look in her eyes as she speaks.

"Please sirs, might you spare a coin?" She asks, holding out her cupped hands. "I don't mean no trouble, but I'm so hungry. I just need something to eat. Please."

Nym expression dropped, seeing this poor woman brought a silent weep into her heart. She didn’t have money to give but she had a few rations on hand. ”I don’t have money with me, but I do have this.” She rummaged through her bag and pulls out 5 days worth of rations and hands it to the woman, trying not to get the attention of the others around the group. “Here take it.”

The Dragonborn snatches the rations out of your hand, as though scared that they'll be taken away. "Thank you, thank you so much." She said, visibly fighting the temptation to immediately start eating. "If there's anything I candy to thank you, let me know. Thank you." She says.

"Do you know of a man called 'Fernando?'" Quelanna asks, "might have a snake tattoo on his hand," she adds, gazing around to make sure no one too unsavory is keeping watch on them.

"We should chat elsewhere," Ryphle mumbles quietly. Earlier, the drow did not realize that Nym had given the old Dragonborn anything. He realised soon enough, seeing that the ladies have stopped in their track. Letting the three concentrate on the woman, Ryphle turns his back to look at their environment.

At the name, the Dragonborn woman's face grows wary. "I know of Fernando. He's a runner for Mother. Keeps her people supplied. Sirs, please be careful if you approach him. Dangerous, very dangerous." She looks around, and keeps her voice low. "You can find him in the old smelting plant, east of here." She said, pointing in that direction.

At the mention of Mother, intrest floods Ryphle's eyes. Seeing that this conversation is a short one, he turns to the woman and gives his thanks after Avala's. Once the party and the old dragonborn depart, Ryphle, in a low voice, asks, "What should we do? We can tackle this right now or leave and look for a place to sleep and form a plan." He hums and then to himself he mumbles, "Perhaps we can scout this smelting plant the woman told us before we leave the area."

"I agree," Quelanna says with a nod, "let's take a look, and perhaps if things look promising, we can deal with it now. But there's no reason to rush into anything. And we do need to find a place to sleep at some point."

It takes a few minutes walking before you find yourselves outside the smelting plant.

The most immediate thing you notice is the fact that, while every other building in the area has been shut down and boarded up, this one appears to be slightly more functional than the rest. Several of the boards have been pried off to allow a better view of the surrounding area from within, and loitering around the entryway were a few vagrants who were a lot more well fed and clothed than the others you have seen around here.

Currently, they have not spotted you, but you suspect that that wont last for long. Unfortunately, there appears to be no sign of Fernando just yet. Perhaps he is inside, or perhaps he has yet to arrive.

As soon as Ryphle sees the smelting plant after the bend of the street, the drow quickly pushes (and then urges) his party into the shadows cast by the surrounding buildings. He should have known better than to walk around this desolated area all willy-nilly. Thank goddess that they haven't been spotted.

"Perhaps we can circle the building to see if there is a blind spot for us to get closer?" Ryphle suggests and then adds, "We should send one or two of us out there. No point of having all of us out there to scout and risk getting caught. I can stand back and watch your back." He then gently taps at his longbow that is strapped to his back.

"I can go, if all else fails I'm pretty durable, so who wants to come?" She asks, scanning over the plant.

"I'll come," Quelanna says. "You should stay in sight of us, though, Ryphle, we're too few to risk splitting up with this amount of potential enemies running around." Now if only I'd bothered learning Invisibility, she grumbles to herself in her head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back