• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Plight of Vacosa, IC

JayTee

Eight Thousand Club
In character thread for Plight of Vacosa.

Out of character discussion can be found Here
Character sheets can be found Here
Rolz room link can be found Here

Last edited:
Vacosa.

The city of dreams now broken, of opportunities lost, of fortunes squandered.

It wasn't always like this. Once a shining city on the hill, a trade hub the likes of which had never been seen before. It's gleaming spires touched the sky, it's streets strewn with an abundance of wealth and plenty.

Then the plague struck, and broke the city in half.

People died, and didn't stay dead. Worse, they seemed hellbent on making sure no one else was among the living. It took four years for the threat of the undead to be resolved, and in that time most of the nations were brought to the brink of ruin.

Vacosa fared no better. As a hub city of a vast trade network, it was one of the most populous cities in the world. This only made the devastation it suffered all the worse. More people living there meant more people died there, and the more people died there, the more the dead would come back to claim the living.

Even now, the corpse fires still rage, sending plumes of smoke skyward. The shattered remans of what used to be the guard struggle to maintain order. Crime is rampant, and becoming organized.

Vacosa is on it's last legs, or perhaps going through a painful transition before being born anew. Time will tell.

A group of newcomers, two dozen strong, make their way to the gates of the city. Some are here to try and help restore order, others to take advantage of the chaos. Most are here for personal reasons, as few would willingly venture in to a city on the brink.

"Who are you, and why are you here?" Asks the gate guard, taking stock of the new arrivals. HE looks haggard and bedraggled, clearly not having had enough sleep. Despite this, he loyally attempts to fulfill his duty, his patriotism the only thing keeping him going at times.

Dishonoured Dishonoured Esbilon Esbilon Glitched Glitched purplepanda288 purplepanda288 TripTripleTimes TripTripleTimes

"Avala Faye sir, just came here looking for a job and to help around." She says simply to the man.

It has been weeks or even months since the last time Ryphle lays eyes on a grand gate and towering city wall such as Vacosa. Even then, none have loomed so ominously high as the one before him. The drow’s pale eyes are wide as they marvelled the stone walls from one side to the next; the design of the gate tells the tale of the grand wealth the city once held. It is a pity of the rumours he has heard on the way here.

The drow’s eyes drift down to the guard standing by. Hearing his friend answering the man in her usual direct approach, he pipes in afterwards.

I am Ryphle.” Ryphle smiles, in hope to lighten the guard’s mood. “We caught wind that Vacosa provides work with good pay and we have travelled far. We do not wish trouble to your city, good sir.

"Quelenna Naïlo," the third elf in the group responds to the guard's query and nods in agreement at the others' story of they being here to find work. The truth is more complex than that, of course, but it's no lie. They do need to make more money if they are to live even remotely well in a city on the brink like this. Hopefully the others' idealism will not blind them to that fact.

"Kulag Arazar, Monster hunter I'm here much like the others looking for work." The half-orc spoke putting on a friendly voice, his race is seen as naturally intimidating and as such he tries his best to act as unintimidating as possible...which wasn't easy to do being heavily armoured and armed and taller than most the other races. The guard that the group was talking to looked like he had, had many sleepless nights a look that Kulag himself often had.

Nym Lovegood, pleasure to make your acquaintance.” Nym spoke in a very soft voice right after Kulag spoke. Now that they were finally at the city’s gates Nym though disguising her self as a human would be a good idea. Her skin was a dark ebony color, hair puffed out around her as a halo would. She smiled at the guard. “We’re all looking for work dear.”

Last edited:
The guard takes your names down haphazardly unable to give you his full attention due to fatigue. "Welcome Vacosa. We're always looking for new recruits to the guard. If your'e looking to enlist, speak to Captain Derand." He said. "Otherwise check in with the guild hall down the street." as he ushers you inside.

The inner workings of Vacosa are what one would expect from a previously plague stricken city. The streets are empty, save for a few scattered souls who look tired and unhappy. Those who traveled with you soon scatter, going off on their own business. Now left to your own devices, it is difficult to determine if the streets are a sign of new beginnings, or a portent of the end.

After the entrance process went smoothly as Ryphle has hoped and said farewell to the few others who have travelled with his merry band of elves, half-orc, and changeling, the drow drowns his lungs full of the city air with a quick, deep breath. His nose crinkles at the smell, however, a hint of decay is present in the air. It seems that no matter how bare the street is, the city cannot cleanse themselves of the amount of death that took place in their home. No matter, this is something Ryphle has expected.

"Shall we look for an inn?" Ryphle turns to face his party as he asks. "A couple of nights in an inn and then we find a permanent housing?"

Nym looked wearily at the city before them, the smell was...Present. “Well this is less then I expect, and then some.” She whispered to her self, pulling up her afro into a loose pony tail at the base of her head. “Finding an inn? Easy, if I preform for them tell probably give us a room.” She put exaggeration on her words. “Maybe me and you could share a room Kulag.” nShe teases as she nudged him with her elbow. “Kidding...kinda. Anyways let find an inn!”

Last edited:
Quelenna seems unmoved by the banter of her fellows, and keeps her eyes on the city around them. She pays particular attention to the state of the buildings around them, if they are all lived in, or if the population is scattered around the city.

The streets of Vacosa are as unappealing as they first appeared to be. Mostly empty, the few natives there are encountered avoid eye contact and go out of their way to avoid the newcomers. This is not surprising, as a collection of armed and armored strangers walking through the streets would be enough to elect suspicion and unease even in peacetimes.

Eventually, an inn makes it's presence known. The building's exterior is lacking in decor or even upkeep, but it is not in a state of abject disrepair. An establishment that provides liquor in these trying times has it's benefits.

Inside the building, a small collection of people are present, each seated at one of a dozen odd tables in a large open room, with a set of stairs leading up to a second floor. Not the amount one would normally see, but it is early in the day, and the evening crowd has yet to make their appearance.

The owner is a portly man, busy tending the tables that are unoccupied. A duo of serving girls also attend to their respective duties, either making sure that what few guests in house were kept supplied with food and drink, or tallying supplies for later in the day behind the counter.

Upon seeing you, the portly owner stops what he is doing and eyes you warily, mindful of your armaments. Nonetheless, this hesitation is brief, and he soon becomes a genial and welcoming host.

"Good day sirs and madams." He says, tucking a cleaning rag in to his pocket. "Welcome, please make yourselves at home." He gestures to the freshly cleaned table, inviting you to sit. "Is there anything I can get you right away?"

Nym stood there with a blank look on her face, spacing out thinking about eating a giant steak. Just the smallest bit of drool threatened to escape from the corner of her mouth. She visibly shook her head and whipped her mouth as the man pulled her from her food-related thoughts. " Oh please, my feet are killing me." Nym sat down in haste on one of the chairs of the clean table. "I uh can I get some steak? Oh, and I have something to offer in exchange for a few rooms for me and my friends."

"Some food and a place to rest seems like a good idea at the moment, she say sitting down at the same table, looking towards the man.

The stroll between the gate and to the inn is a quiet one, with the group's conversation carried in a hushed tone. There is not much to see other than the city's grand spires and the elegant architecture of the buildings. Sadly, the atmosphere of the street is very much washed without its once populous citizens. Passing by the wary people, Ryphle is instead focused on the chances of free room for his group.

The inn is standard, in the drow's mind. As he enters the inn, Ryphle misses the owner's glance as he quickly looks at the layout of the inn. Soon after, his attention is drawn towards the large man. Ryphle greets back with a smile and a nod. Hearing the service of food, his eyes too brighten, but he continues to stand.

"May I get something light? Perhaps something with mushroom," He asks and then adds, "We would also like to get a rooms for a few nights too." Looking up at the owner, Ryhle introduces himself after the request.

"I'm Ryphle." Then, he introduces everyone's first name to the owner to make introduction faster.

"Wine," Quelenna says as she sits down at the table, making sure to place herself with her back to a wall rather than a potential avenue of attack. She is slightly curious about her fellows' orders, usually places of this... caliber do not exactly have an extensive menu to order from, in her experience the choice is mostly between unidentifiable stew and unidentifiable stew with bread.

The Innkeeper takes everyone's orders dutifully, writing them down in neat, efficient script born from years of plying his hand at this trade. "I'll be right back with your food and drink, sirs and madams. We can discuss lodgings after your meal." He says, disappearing behind the counter in to the back room.

Before long, one of the serving girls comes back with your drinks, along with some water for everyone who did not specify a drink. Sadly, the drinks are of poor quality, with the wine being barely better than fermented grape juice, and Ryphle's own order amounting to chopped mushrooms in a glass of beer. Obviously ignorant of the kinds of fungi-based alcohol the Drow had developed in their subterranean home. At least it's not Dwarven ale, though, right?

As you nurse your subpar beverages, the door to the Inn bursts open, and in comes a short little man with a fearful look in his eye. A Halfling, by the looks of him.

Almost immediately following the handling, a trio of men and women enter as well, and the Halfling begins backpedaling away from them, trying to hide behind one of the tables and filling miserably.

"Now Pip, this is hardly becoming of a gentlemen." Said one of the men. His hair was greased and oily, and he was bedecked in tacky jewelry and excessively flamboyant clothing. "You agreed to the terms of service, and accepted the consequences should you neglect to fulfill your end of the bargain."

"Pleased sirs, I'll have the money for you, I just need more time!" The Halfling begged, cowering under the withering stares his would be debt collectors.

"Time is money, and you have neither." Said the greasy man, tapping a dagger on his belt. "Now you're going to come with me and explain to the boss why you are late on your payments."

"Please, someone help me!" Pip cried, ignoring the man before him and appealing to the crowd. "You don't know what they'll do to me! Help!"

No one moved, and what few people had looked up at the spectacle now looked away, becoming very interested in the plates and glasses before them.

The greasy man gave Pip a wicked smile. "A valiant effort, but in vain. No on wants to get on Mother's bad side." He said, putting a hand on Pip's shoulder. "Now come along, it's time to go." He said, forcing the Halfling to march across the room.

Last edited:
With a plate of food in front of him, as soon as Ryphle lift his fork a mug is place beside him. He takes a peak at the mug and then stares at it. The lack of mushroom on his breakfast is a let down but ahhh hhhahahhaa aah what is that?!

Horribly intrigued, the drow drops his fork and drags the mug closer. He sniffs it and quickly recoils back. It smells... unholy. Almost. Ever still curious, he takes a nibble at a mushroom.

Bleh.

He then continues to take nibbles of the mushrooms later after he finishes his meal, clearly avoiding drinking the liquid itself. Whatelse is he suppose to do with mushrooms in front of him?

Pale eyes go up to a halfling and Ryphle watches the scene unfold in front of him.

"Loan sharks?" Ryphle whispers amongst his group and looks around the inn to see the other patrons' expression. It seems that whoever the sharks are, the group they are with must be a big deal. Dull fangs dig into his lips, torn between saving the halfing and not getting into trouble. Images of rags and chains flash before him. He stands up.

Ryphle stalks up to the man with bling and put a hand to where the collector is grabbing the halfling.

"What terms and service did this man violated? Perhaps, there is another way to solve the solution, gentlemen." Never did he looked down at the halfing, but at the taller man before him.

Last edited:
Avala stands up with Ryphle, standing a step behind him with a hand on her hip, watching the interaction between them closely. Standing as backup for Ryphle if this talk does not turn out well. Her eyes shift from the tall man down to the halfing.

Nym put a false smile as she looked down at the food. "Maybe lowering my standers would lead be me begin happier." Her smile faded as a halfling, who was basically begging for their life, was thrown into the inn they were currently at. On cue, Ryphle stood up and began to interject in the escalating situation. With a small huff, she very gently untied the golden Silk sash that was around her waist in one small motion. She let the fabric pool at the floor while she held on the end of the fabric.

Quelanna's piercing grey eyes are on the door even before the halfling is thrust through it. The wine is bad, but no worse than the swill she's come to expect from inns on the road and in the miserable cities she's been relegated to ever since she... left home.

"Protection racket," she suggests to Ryphle when the drow speaks up, though never taking her eyes from the possible threats that have entered her space.

When she sees her fellows stand up for the halfing, it's all she can do to not sigh at the futility of it all. Yes, they can probably win a fight here and now, but kicking over this Mother's organisation is going to be a different matter all together. Still, she could hardly the others fight alone, and she'd been seen with them in any case. Even if she wanted to abandon them, she didn't like her chances of doing so successfully.

Moving her hand in an arcane pattern beneath the table and speaking so softly that her lips hardly move at all, she sends off a Message to the halfling, "make a dash for the rear of the inn, we've got your back."

Not waiting to see if her message is taken to heed, she rises along with the others, her hand casually resting on the rapier at her side as she steps forward, extruding the confidence that comes with decades of training and too many dead people in her past.

OOC: In case it wasn't clear, I'm casting the Message cantrip (PHB 259) to communicate with the halfling. He can make a single sentence reply if he so wishes.

The greasy man in the gaudy clothing passed when Ryphle sized his wrist. He didn't move or say anything, but almost immediately his companions were flanking him, hands on their weapons and ugly looks on their faces.

"This is a private matter. It doesn't concern you, friend." Said the man, his grip tightening on Pip. The halfling, grateful for the assistance, attempted to speak his piece, but a sharp pain in his shoulder from the greasy man's hand and Quelanna's muted mystic message silenced whatever comment he was about to make.

"I suggest you mind you own affairs. Friend. We don't want any... unpleasantness to befall us, would we?" He asked, an undertone of a threat not so subtly hidden behind his words.

Now, now, there's no need for the aggression.” Ryphle replies back. To relax, he grins up at the man. “We are both civil people in this fine city and you seem like a man better than a barbaric brawl in a bar. You are clearly a man of influence and great importance. It won't look good on you to waste your precious time here and for Mother no less, but I must say-” From the man, Ryphle looks down at the halfling and deliberately takes his time looking at poor Pip. “What can this poor fool offer Mother than his debt and his miserable life. She has plenty of those under her.” Ryphle looks up, expressing to the man how unimpressed he is by the halfing.

Instead, you can surprise her by using me. You can get your daily errand done and also make Mother’s day interesting if you talk business with me. Of course, Pip is not totally free from his mess, that’s not how business works, right?” By now, Ryphle has his hands off from the man.

Under his cheerful facade, he wonders how his team has not beat his ass for digging them into his mess. Oh right, this idiot babbles when nervous, so probably later.

Avala keeps her mouth shut, knowing that if she says anything she most likely would regret it. Her impulsive actions have only been known to put her into bad situations. So she continues to stay behind Ryphle, listening to what he's saying and what is happening. Her eyes nearly pericing the mans.

"I'm afraid, friend, that you don't understand how things work around here." The gaudy man said, releasing his grip on Pip and closing the distance between Ryphle and himself until only inches remained. Another hand, this time belonging to his accomplices, replaced it.

"Mother runs this town now, what Mother wants, mother gets. Mother wants this fine gentlemen in front of her, so that's what's going to happen." He said. "I've graciously offered you a chance to withdraw. I suggest you take it before we regret out decisions."

Either roll Intimidate to avoid the fight, or roll initiative to start it, 'cause shit is about to go down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back