Idea Players as Invaders

I ran a conquest of a new world fantasy game for a number of YEARS on RPN and may pick it up again one day.

Here are a few concepts you could employ that seemed to go over well in my campaign --

1) The idea that all the invaders are also running from something in the old world -- exiled criminals like australia, or people fleeing religious persecution like the pilgrims, or just people seeking fortune in a new world or an escape from their past.

2) the idea that the caprious eyes of the old world greedily fix themselves on the new -- they want a cut of the massive potential gains to be had in the exotic new land and they don't necessarily offer much more than demands in return.

3) The idea of a developing market and social currency between players (like gold and influence) that freely changes hands or develops with the settlement.

I'd be more than happy to discuss in more detail if you were interested... the game in question can be found here:

I ran a conquest of a new world fantasy game for a number of YEARS on RPN and may pick it up again one day.

Here are a few concepts you could employ that seemed to go over well in my campaign --

1) The idea that all the invaders are also running from something in the old world -- exiled criminals like australia, or people fleeing religious persecution like the pilgrims, or just people seeking fortune in a new world or an escape from their past.

2) the idea that the caprious eyes of the old world greedily fix themselves on the new -- they want a cut of the massive potential gains to be had in the exotic new land and they don't necessarily offer much more than demands in return.

3) The idea of a developing market and social currency between players (like gold and influence) that freely changes hands or develops with the settlement.

I'd be more than happy to discuss in more detail if you were interested... the game in question can be found here:

That's pretty cool but I am actually doing a different sort of campaign, more akin to the Mass Migrations/Barbarian Invasions of the European Dark Ages than the conquest of a completely new world.

A lot of the same mechanics would apply, I imagine. Truth is, as they say, stranger than fiction.

What kind of help were you most looking for in development?

A lot of the same mechanics would apply, I imagine. Truth is, as they say, stranger than fiction.

What kind of help were you most looking for in development?
Well really just all sorts of help. You guys have been awesome and are giving me lots of great ideas and stuff to think about.

One mechanic I used in my RP was "starting points" -- determining how many and how sophisticated the arriving player's "faction/warparty" was.

I gave for example 300 points to people who were loyal to the status quo of the old world and 200 points to people who were self-outfitted or more independent. it created a meaningful choice where people could start with an edge in the game that came with obligations and debts later on or you could be unassociated with the powers that be but you would start with less people and resources.

I can at the very least see a kind of "status" currency in your game where the amount of loot, slaves, exotics sent home could translate to more people flocking to particular players banners.

One mechanic I used in my RP was "starting points" -- determining how many and how sophisticated the arriving player's "faction/warparty" was.

I gave for example 300 points to people who were loyal to the status quo of the old world and 200 points to people who were self-outfitted or more independent. it created a meaningful choice where people could start with an edge in the game that came with obligations and debts later on or you could be unassociated with the powers that be but you would start with less people and resources.

I can at the very least see a kind of "status" currency in your game where the amount of loot, slaves, exotics sent home could translate to more people flocking to particular players banners.
That sounds perfect!

I also had the points system be really simple -- each point increment was 5 times as powerful as the one before it. so a 2 point guy in a fair fight would be evenly matched with 5 1 point guys... a 3 point guy could face off with 5 2 point guys or 15 1 point guys... and on up the chain so 1 point would be mooky untrained infantry, 2-3 points are drilled and trained non-professional fighters, 4-5 points are elites, and on up the chain.

Let me know as your concept develops and I'd love to help out. :D

I also had the points system be really simple -- each point increment was 5 times as powerful as the one before it. so a 2 point guy in a fair fight would be evenly matched with 5 1 point guys... a 3 point guy could face off with 5 2 point guys or 15 1 point guys... and on up the chain so 1 point would be mooky untrained infantry, 2-3 points are drilled and trained non-professional fighters, 4-5 points are elites, and on up the chain.

Let me know as your concept develops and I'd love to help out. :D
Of course!

One thing that I thought of that would be super cool is Arnor during the war with the Witch King.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back