Experiences Planning for Roleplays?

How much planning before/during?

• None, we fly by the seat of our pants here.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • A vague concept or two.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Some structure, but flexible.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • A series of events planned to keep the story moving, but still some fluidity.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Detailed events in a set structure.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I am GOD, I know and plan all!!

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • If it isn't planned, I will plan it as the story goes.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • I make a plan but then it goes off the rails anyway.

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

EggB

bgge!
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
How much planning do all of you do? I was thinking of starting up something of my own, and realized I'd started planning pretty heavily. So I got curious; what do other people usually do? I also wonder what the more successful approach is, though that could vary person to person 🤔

From what I have read in the advice alone, planning is pretty beneficial. You don't need to plan *every* little detail to the point there is no room for creativity for the players to have, but as far as direction and staying relatively "on the rails" you want to have a focus, but not be a control freak or tyrant. Of course, everyone's got a different "play-style" and I am sure there are some that like less or more of that depending. If it's a world you're making, you would want to tell us about it, and maybe not randomly spring up some surprise lore in the middle of the thread that's been going on- but that's just "maybe" some people like surprises, but I would inform players of that (that there will be surprises).

Personally I recommend this thread as I found it helpful if you're looking to start your own rp.

So it varies depending on the type of roleplay and the setting.

Ex. Fandoms in general can have less world building and set up because you are usually just focused on tweaking something that is already created. So you focus on “what am I doing different to canon?”

If your doing a sandbox or slice of life story the same concept. Although with groups your gonna want to have a clear set of boundaries on what you can and can’t do.

If your doing a specific story arc then that’s where planning needs to be a bit more intensive as you need to make sure everyone is on the same page.

general rule of thumb
1. Communicate. Don’t assume your partner/players understand everything. Always ask for them to repeat back to you what they think the story is about. This is vital no matter the level of planning cuz it makes sure everyone understands what’s happening.

2. 1x1s tend to be more individual in terms of planning so always match your partner. I personally struggle with this and have run off partners in the past by over planning. So always try to gauge your partners comfort level and match that. If your unsure see step one.

3. Groups I believe a firm foundation is important. Make sure to have some kind overview so everyone starts off with the same general knowledge of what’s happening. And then once again ask to make sure everyone is understanding before moving forward.

I chose the third and fourth options. I only do one on one roleplays, so that's where my experience stems from. Since I mainly do romance roleplays, we always establish where and how our characters' path cross and then basically just throw in ideas during. Also, we like to figure out what sets things in motion. For example, if we do enemies to lovers, why are they enemies, and what could possibly happen that would bring them closer? We know what direction our roleplay is heading, but if we come to dislike that idea over time or improve it, it's completely fine.

my approach is kinda a hybrid to be honest.
Yes i plan a lot of the story precisely and such buts its the background stuff, the stuff necessary for the game, the things before the dice are rolled so to speak.
Then i roughly plan out with bigger incentive of the players stuff prior to the start of the game and the start of the game, its flexible but there is stuff written.
Then any planning for the future arcs and such is mostly player and mine plots, made into bullet points, there isn't written when it needs to happen or anything like that or a fixed order of things. But i do write when something happening is most probable, and what event can be done at the same time as another or which ones shouldn't be done too close to eachother.

Love all the replies, and tips! Very helpful indeed, thanks everyone :)

If I'm doing a sandbox game with no overarching plot, then the only thing I plan upfront is the setting and the first one or two events. After that, I might discuss possible arcs with different players that may be subject to change, or we just might decide to write a scene with our characters, with a vague idea of their existing connection, if any, and kinda go from there, once we've established how they interact organically. It's been a plan-as-you-go from what I've experienced. Those who are more hyped might be inclined to brainstorm future scenes, but rarely are they set in stone.

I haven't done a purely original, plot-heavy game since I discovered slice of life as a teen, but I've been running Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, a D&D campaign, which has room for custom content with how I'm running it. My process so far has been...

The setting is established through the module/the wiki articles, so not much work for me to do there. In the interest check, I just included the essential information for potential recruits to know, and I also noted that I was willing to be flexible with the lore, and that I might take a few liberties myself, so that those who were more aware of the Forgotten Realms could adjust their expectations. When recruiting, I included in the application sheet a "Desired Pursuits" section. Players didn't have to put anything super special, but it at least prompted them to think about what goals they would like their character to have.

I made it clear upfront that the game would be sandbox-y after the initial quest. The people I accepted were pretty hyped, so they did their own plotting with their characters, and in private with me, we expanded on key elements of their character or their goals. For example, one character came from a family of Zhents and decided to go into the City Watch, and his goal is to convince his family to put the life of crime behind them. So we decided what his current rank was, how long he had been in the career, and the names of his family members and how they feel about him now. I've asked him clarifying questions or given him opportunity to decide on other details, but lately I've been fleshing out his siblings and the arc he may be pursuing based on what we've discussed. So he has been given some influence, but I'm taking liberties as a DM to incorporate events/plot points that I hope will be enjoyable to him. Keeping some surprise is a nice way to keep a player engaged. But there's still enough room for him to come at me with his own ideas at any point, or to adjust based on what actually happens when he reaches those points.

Considering a player's personality is important, too, however. One seems to have a stronger opinion of how they want their character's personal arc to go, so I'll probably be working more closely with them and taking fewer liberties.

We haven't gotten past the initial quest yet, so results are currently unknown, but that's the process I've been following.

tl;dr: For a plot-heavy game, I'm planning character arcs based on how much liberty I think a player is cool with me taking, and discussing the rest with them. However, I'm also keeping things loose enough to allow for their own spontaneous ideas and to be adaptable with what actually happens in the story.

Usually, when I pitch a group RT, I already have the skeleton of the plot in mind. A series of events for the players to encounter and a general idea of the path to lead them down. I don't expect them to fall right in line to it, of course. But I do have a solid concept of where the RPs story is supposed to go.

A Sparkling Zombie A Sparkling Zombie I'm curious as o how people keep sandbox RPs going without a central premise to keep the RPers engaged. In my experience, sandbox stuff dies out pretty quickly after initial interactions because the players don't really have anything to so outside of some slice-of-life stuff, or they pair off into what is essentially 1x1 RP.

don't really have anything to so outside of some slice-of-life stuff, or they pair off into what is essentially 1x1 RP.
Yeah, this is pretty much my experience too. I've run sandboxes that have lasted for about a few months each, although I think each one could have lasted at least a bit longer if not for OOC drama. I feel like it just kinda boils down to being lucky enough to score plot-oriented players who are willing to stay dedicated for the long-term. Those who just want romance (or smut in the case of adult forums) or just want to indulge in their character for a bit aren't going to stick around long simply because they're gonna scratch their itch and be done, and that's okay too. Since there's no definitive end, for some players, it really kinda is about enjoying the journey than reaching the finish line.

That and the site I've run them on supports multi-threaded fuzzy time (or whatever you wanna call it). I think it's a bit easier to keep player engagement when they can control their own pace and pick the IC date/time for the scenes, rather than herding the cattle through linear play.

There was one that I joined that had lasted for a little over a year before it ended. Besides luck, I think what helped is the GMs' ability to get everyone involved, partly by making their characters central to the game - the main GM was a bit narcissistic, but it worked in the group's favor, I guess. The GM(s) were fairly plot-oriented, and while there wasn't a true plot, they still tried to connect characters and loop players into the IC drama. Some of that might have been thanks to regular events through which players could have something to do with their characters.

I like to say that I am a planner by nature. I am simply very much inclined for planning, and I can really appreciate seeing a plan being realized, fleshed out and brought to life by the RP than I can enjoy a parade of surprises. A partner bringing an unexpected twist or introducing new plot elements is still appreciated of course, but in most cases I would rather a post whose events I know but whose descriptions enrapture me. It also really helps me to appreciate planning that I often have a more narrative and structured focused approach to the RP and that rather than the writing process itself, what I tend to enjoy most is being able to look back at that final product as well as my partner’s responses.

In 1x1s, at bare minimum I will do some preparation in worldbuilding and character discussion with my partners, and we will have a plan for how the premise and set up of the RP will go. Standard goes a bit further, as I very much enjoy discussing the current scene with my partner when they are up for it and we also tend to make some very broad planning for arcs, though often these arcs are more towards the future at an uncertain time. That being said, the more a partner is willing to engage with planning with me the better, and my best partners would often have very detailed plans of scenes with me, in turn making some of my best RPs.

Whether in 1x1s or groups, and independently of my plans with my partner or fellow player, I tend to make extensive plans around my characters whether in terms of backstory or future character event and arc possibilities. On one hand, this is great for keeping investment in my characters. On the other hand though, it is certainly disappointing that I rarely see my set up pay any fruit because I am simply inclined for long term planning, and the long term is illusive to say the least.

Now, when I GM for groups, I still do plans but I’ve learned from experience what happens when you try to make things too linear or constricted. Ironically one of my most lasting group RPs to date had very extensive planning and a plot structure of that kind, though that was also the RP where I finally learned many of the pitfalls associated with that and some of my other habits.

Nowadays, though I haven’t really made a ton of any (standard) group RPs in recent times, my approach to them would be to create a background within which the characters can act and a premise to get things started, for one, and for two certainty events that are (borderline) fated to happen. Creating a solid background in the world can (in addition to just being something I really like doing) place something solid for players to find as they freely explore outside of the immediate bounds of the plot, while the premise and events can give them direction or at least remind them that if on one hand things continue to happen with ir without them, their choice not to engage with it (or to engage with it) is still consequential.

I say I didn’t make “standard” group roleplays recently because actually my recent group roleplays have actually been dice groups, more specifically dungeons and dragons campaigns. Because of the more gaming-related aspect to them, I find these types of group roleplays are more conducive to a having a more structured plot, in fact one is pretty much expected. I also think the more bounded expectations (more balanced and standardized character capabilities for example) are more friendly to it, so I tend in these make branching plots - I try to very broadly think of the possibilities for what players might do, and and come up with events they might follows or things I might mention from new people or location they come across, and then in turn think of the possibilities for those and so on, with branches often curling to touch on one and another, and in places even quite possibly converging back into one.

In group RPs like with partners, I engaging in plans and preparations. However, planning is only worth it if you can have coordination and that’s much harder to do with a larger number of people, as is entwining everyone’s needs and characters and stories. On top of that, when I GM it often seems to be the case that the best of both worlds solution is me planning around giving freedom to my players, and then bringing them surprises based on their organic interaction with what I had planned. Consistently doing this is a ton of work though, and I think more than anything to pull it off you need solid foundations and principles in the plans. It’s a lot easier to plot out the mystery of a dog being hurt by noticing that the incident was near that magical forest with uneasy ents you came up with way before.

I do very little planning since I generally suck at coming up with plots. I will come up with a basic premise and then some characters to fit into that before jumping right in. I allow the characters to tell the story and determine which direction the plot will go in.

Enough for a good start then let everything fall into place as I write it. Anything too much takes me out of wanting to even write. Like constant messages back and forth of every detail, character, what exactly will happen in the plot is not my thing.

When I was younger it was always touch-and-go.

I'd have a title, a vague concept, and a character for myself in mind. I'd make up the rest as I went. It was rarely sustainable and the most successful RPs ended up being reworked and rewritten in future attempts.

Today, I run things similarly but with more of a conceptualization in mind and at least two or three events to build up to. If you try to structure a RP like a book... well, your players will quickly show you why that's a fool's errand. The only way a super-structured RP would work is with players who are 100% on the same page and those kind of players are hard to find. It's best to have a foundation and be flexible than rigid.

When I get excited about an idea or plot, I tend to plan out far too much to the point it's not even fun for me anymore when I actually get to roleplaying. I've decided to make a massive change with how I plan my rps this year. I do like structure and plan out maybe some big plot events so we have something to work towards, but everything in between I want to make up on the spot.

When I was WAY younger, I used to just be like "Hey, let's rp this" and just go for it without any planning. I realized that's when I had the most fun, even though the concept of lore breaking was foreign to me and I literally just did whatever I wanted whether or not it was lore-accurate. I just want that same joy back of having posts coming at me with events that I didn't expect beforehand, and then having to figure out how my characters would respond.

So far, this change has been working out for me quite well! I keep most of my plans to myself to surprise my partner, and I recognize they do the same in return. It's really fun again!

When I get excited about an idea or plot, I tend to plan out far too much to the point it's not even fun for me anymore when I actually get to roleplaying. I've decided to make a massive change with how I plan my rps this year. I do like structure and plan out maybe some big plot events so we have something to work towards, but everything in between I want to make up on the spot.

When I was WAY younger, I used to just be like "Hey, let's rp this" and just go for it without any planning. I realized that's when I had the most fun, even though the concept of lore breaking was foreign to me and I literally just did whatever I wanted whether or not it was lore-accurate. I just want that same joy back of having posts coming at me with events that I didn't expect beforehand, and then having to figure out how my characters would respond.

So far, this change has been working out for me quite well! I keep most of my plans to myself to surprise my partner, and I recognize they do the same in return. It's really fun again!
Because I suck at coming up with plot in general I generally take the "let's just RP" approach myself. It definitely has its place, as does heavy planning. I sort of like to be surprised as the story progresses, though, so I don't really like to plan out most major plot points.

Because I suck at coming up with plot in general I generally take the "let's just RP" approach myself. It definitely has its place, as does heavy planning. I sort of like to be surprised as the story progresses, though, so I don't really like to plan out most major plot points.

Oh trust me, I suck at coming up with original plots as well. But I hate not knowing what I'm working towards. I guess that's something I have learned to love over the years, but I do miss the times when I could just rp without any planning and have an absolute blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back