• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Help Plagiatrism/art by others question

kevintheradioguy

Salt
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Just a quick question.

If I want to create a gallery for my character, but some of the art is made by other people (whether a gift, or a commission), can I still upload them? Shpuld I ask them for official permission and link it? Shuld I just note "made by XYZ"? Or rely on watermark?

I use other people's art all the time for my characters, and use a link to the original source (with their name in the text) as credit. Most artists are satisfied with that. As far as I know, we've only had one or two cases where an artist requested that we remove their work from the site (which of course we complied with once we'd verified that they were in fact the original artist).

I've had good results with Google image search. If nothing works, and you still want to give credit, a tiny "If you know where this is from, please tell me so I can credit!" is helpful.

I had a picture I was using for years without knowing who had done it, but last year Google came through for me and it's properly credited now. ^D^

I really appreciate you asking this! I've had a whole character lifted before to be used in someone's roleplay; I didn't mind too much, since it was just a private roleplay, but I would have preferred if they asked me.

In my experience, most artists will have no problem if you're just using a visual in a private 1x1 roleplay. But it's always good practice to ask first, if you can find them. And if you do use the image publicly or semi-publicly, do give them credit with a link if there's no watermark, or if the watermark isn't legible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back