Pixel's Chargen

PixelWitch

The Blanket Hermit.
Name: - Olivia "Olly" Grimm

Appearance: - Standing only at 5ft2" Olly is petite and waifish in frame with a severe short bobcut black hair, framing a heart-shaped babyface and tired grey eyes. Abstract black geometric line tattoos encircle both arms from wrist to elbows and in around her hipbones. She favours very quirky clothing, often large colorful sweaters, bows, handmade hats and gloves, printed skirts, vintage finds and often items self made or repaired from bargain bins.

Personality: -  Likes computer games, knitting, cute fluffy animals, gardening and photography. Is a cinnamon roll, passionate, kind and hard working, but all of this positivity has been severely hampered by her recent injury, leaving her quiet, easily frustrated, antisocial and cynical.

History: - Grew up poor. Breadline poor. Meals provided by the school poor. Parents that both worked double shifts in jobs to make ends meet poor. Before she was even a teenager she looked after her two younger brothers, cooking dinner and getting them ready for bed most evenings, and watching villains tearing the world apart on TV most nights and decided to become a nurse as she wanted to help people. Was mercifully granted a scholarship and is currently in training in the local collage, only to have her injury 6 years into her 8 years of medical school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay! And the rolls were 6, 213, 394. All good ones, but I think I'mma pick 6 : -

"A head injury leads to skill-oriented amnesia. You lose the ability to perform basic tasks like writing and operating a doorknob, tying your shoes. Everyone's supportive, but they can't understand your frustration. In a fit, almost insane, you get into a car and drive off- or try to. Hurt and borderline deranged, you trigger."

Makes sense as this would be a pretty bad trigger for her as she'd never achieve her dream of being a nurse.

Interesting. I'm thinking definitely a Thinker -Brute. Thinker for the emotional turmoil, Brute for the car crash damage. Though you could call Master for the feeling of isolation in being that way.

Spitballs:

1. Regeneration of some sort, focused on adapting to the skill at hand. Like Crawler, but different, lesser and more... ability based.
  2. She remembers everything, and can peform a sort of muscle memory of anything she watches.

@Jaye@Lamladaz@Grey@Blackadder

What do you guys think? Also, aid me in spitballing, add your own suggestions.

Well, I'm not sure how much it would overlap with the Wannabe vial for Alex, but if need be I can just make a different roll.

I'm inclined to think super-mimetism - she can watch someone do something, and replicate it, but she still struggles to conceive of the 'why'. Something has an effect, but there's a blind spot in her understanding of why so she struggles to learn things she hasn't seen. For extra disturbing value, extends somewhat to social interactions.

Brute part seems appropriate, but I'm thinking impact-resistance - the harder you hit her, the less she feels it.

I'm inclined to think super-mimetism - she can watch someone do something, and replicate it, but she still struggles to conceive of the 'why'. Something has an effect, but there's a blind spot in her understanding of why so she struggles to learn things she hasn't seen. For extra disturbing value, extends somewhat to social interactions.

Brute part seems appropriate, but I'm thinking impact-resistance - the harder you hit her, the less she feels it.

This is beautifully in-line with Worm's sense of irony. Oh look you can do what everyone else can now! Do you understand why or how? No.

Maybe the more complex the task, the more she has to mimic someone? Like pushing a door open - she can see someone do it and mimic that action for a month. Tying shoelaces? Can mimic for a day. Changing a patient's drip? Might only be able to mimic right after watching someone. (I'm unsure on this restriction).

Yes please extend it to social interactions.

And yeah, impact resistant Brute seems appropriate.

Side note: could this have been a double trigger?

How about something like

Thinker 7 / Brute 2

The ability to "remember" by obtaining a sort of "mental instruction manual"... that contains the skills and tricks of any person she sees directly. This doesn't work on herself and her.mind is now somehow dependant on this ability, making her unable to learn things by herself. This ability also requires she spends time "reading" the manual she obtained, the more complex the skill, the more time she has to stare dirdcrly at a person. As for the brute rating she has a minkr boon that allows her to heal at about thrice the normal human rate.

Lamladaz's clarification on the Thinker power seems pretty good. I'd say it side-steps a Trump rating by not working on skills/tricks that are a direct result of a power, though. I think that's implied, but yeah, clarity and stuff.

I'm still favouring Grey's idea for the Brute power - the harder you hit the less Olly feels it. Like, sudden+forceful impacts have almost no effect but constant/gradually building impacts can have effects. The difference between pinching someone and slowly digging a nail into their arm.

(it's not that healing is a bad idea, it just seems like the typical go-to?)

@Blackadder  If you think her abilities are going to overlap with your characters, I can always pick another trigger...

Although I will admit the hilarity of the "Harder it hits, the less it effects her" idea - that someone slapping her would have her doubled over in pain, but having a car thrown at her head, she would barely flinch. Also means that though she can take it, doesn't mean she can dish it out, she can walk off a breezeblock to the face, but she punches like she's made of damp leaves. Which she is. *Ugly laughing*

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I had an idea that overlaps the Brute-Master one. Also irony.

Regeneration-Minions.

Her fallen flesh and blood becomes small minions. She still hasn't recovered from her skill-amnesia, but that's fine, her minions can do everything for her. These minions are short lived, but are bigger, longer lived, and more useful the more blood and or flesh they've come from. She can't mentally control them, but she can send them commands. They can communicate back with images and thoughts.

A splash of blood makes something the size of a cat. It's pretty squishy, but it'll open doors for her, tie her shoe-laces, do the little things, but it'l last like.. ten, twenty minutes, tops. A big bunch of blood makes a bunch of them. A finger makes something the size of a decently sized dog. Tougher and stronger too, and it'll last an hour or two. A whole arm? You're talking something the size of a bear, and even more of something that you don't want to fuck with. Lasts a good day.

In terms of regeneration, everything still hurts, but she can regenerate fairly quickly. Like, an arm'll make a great minion, but the limb takes a good couple hours to come back.

@Grey@Jaye@Blackadder@Lamladaz@PixelWitch

Thoughts guys?

Actually, I had an idea that overlaps the Brute-Master one. Also irony.

Regeneration-Minions.

Her fallen flesh and blood becomes small minions. She still hasn't recovered from her skill-amnesia, but that's fine, her minions can do everything for her. These minions are short lived, but are bigger, longer lived, and more useful the more blood and or flesh they've come from. She can't mentally control them, but she can send them commands. They can communicate back with images and thoughts.

A splash of blood makes something the size of a cat. It's pretty squishy, but it'll open doors for her, tie her shoe-laces, do the little things, but it'l last like.. ten, twenty minutes, tops. A big bunch of blood makes a bunch of them. A finger makes something the size of a decently sized dog. Tougher and stronger too, and it'll last an hour or two. A whole arm? You're talking something the size of a bear, and even more of something that you don't want to fuck with. Lasts a good day.

In terms of regeneration, everything still hurts, but she can regenerate fairly quickly. Like, an arm'll make a great minion, but the limb takes a good couple hours to come back.

@Grey@Jaye@Blackadder@Lamladaz@PixelWitch

Thoughts guys?

I double Lamladaz's "Gross!" exclamation, but mostly this is fantastic.

I was having a lot of "???" and «concerned frowning» at the disconnect between the powersets that we were giving her - she came across having having two seperate powers rather than two aspects of one power. The Regen-Minions brings some harmony to the two ideas of regeneration and the mental stress. Also, I started having unsure feelings about the powers 'solving' Olly's disability. This is a nice, uh, work around? :)  

Though I still love the idea of the "impact resistant brute" because yes it's hilarious.

A friend pointed out a... well a munchkin/hack for the Regen-Minion power. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing so I thought I'd just point it out. Basically, there's an exploit that works much like how Spree's power works. I... was going to explain it but the more I explained the more reasonable it sounded. It's an exploit, but Worm is all about those kinds of exploits.

Um, yeah so if that sounds like it might be unreasonable, then speak up but otherwise I'm down for this. Flesh or Blood Minions with Accelerated Healing.

((This is really making people queasy? «gently pats you all»))

So that's what everyone's going for then? Just to clarify...

Any injury she has from even just a prick of blood - little skittery minions used for everyday tasks, to losing arm - a car sized gribbly that can be sent into fights, to possibly a leg - house sized monster that could get a decent slap in on a cape.

I take it there's only so many injuries she can take before she goes into shock? She still feels pain afterall, and I'm pretty certain she's not completely immortal... there'd have to be a limit, otherwise you're saying she can be reduced to jam, but still put herself back together, provided she was dumped in a bathtub for something...

Second is that despite her new powers, it hasn't removed her condition. She'll still struggle with everyday tasks and find doing complicated actions and certain words hard. So she'll rely on her little minions to do them for her. The trigger mentioned she was able to "drive off, or try to," so I'm gonna take a leap and request she can at least talk and do some things herself, like walk unaided - maybe with a cane cos I like that idea - as it might be very difficult to roleplay someone who's almost catatonic and bedbound...

I'm pretty much saying "Yep" to all of those clarifications, @PixelWitch . But in detail (in my opinion)...

Any Injury - Yep. A prick of blood will make little skittery things, a big gob of blood or a toe makes something cat sized, a finger makes something husky dog sized, an arm makes a bear, a leg makes like a rhino?. Olly's torso can't be used except for blood. Olly's ears could be used - can her head be used? Who knows! The only way to find out is to do it and that seems like a bad experiment.

Regen Limit - I'd say blood is an infinite source, as it regenerates pretty much as fast as it can be used. Limbs of course take a while to grow back, but Olly won't die/pass out from blood loss (because infinite blood). Smaller the limb/appendage, the faster it grows (ie. a finger might take tens of minutes, an arm takes hours, etc). I need to do some research (and need to sleep right now) but I assume shock is still a thing and pain is certainly still a thing. Olly could take off an arm, but that shit hurts. I mean (and don't answer this) but have you ever tried to cut yourself hard enough to draw blood? It's surprisingly difficult.

Possibilities (don't quote me on this) - maybe slightly dulled nerves, just to give a better chance of being able to cut deep enough to draw blood regularly. Additionally, the regen might include beefed up white blood cells to help stop the cuts/amputations from being infected?

However - Maybe minions only work while Olly's conscious? That (helps differentiate the two Masters we have)  would mean Olly can't just be turned to jam and continuously make minions. However if someone sick and twisted and I'm totally not talking about Bonesaw, could somehow turn Olly to jam while keeping her conscious... well. Well damn. «sweatdrop»

Procedural Amnesia - You seem to basically have it handled. She still has survival instincts working (breathing, heart beating) but has trouble remembering things mostly learnt as a baby. Using a cane to walk is a nice touch (maybe on bad days she needs a 'chair? That's up to you.) For words - it's not that she doesn't know them just that she can't recall how to make her mouth/throat form said words. A good trick to figure out what Olly can or can't do is this - fine motor control skills are complex. Something as simple as tying a knot or twirling pasta around a fork. She might have limited movement with her arms/hands/legs.

Luckily, she can still think how to do all these skills and thus she can order her minions to do them instead.

That was mostly just repeating what you said, sorry <_<

But yeah. She's not bedbound, she has trouble making her body do what she wants it to.

Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty happy to give this the stamp of approval. @Silvertongued , @Lamladaz , @Grey , @Blackadder ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back