• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Pirates of the Darkening Skies - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
I will be at a tabletop convention most of next week, so no one has to hurry.
I still have two games to finish writing for it.

Participating - it's at the first university I attended, so I think of it as my home con. I'm writing two scenarios, running two more for other writers, might record a live actual play session with my streaming group, and might have to do an impromptu panel on game design. Also hoping a friend of mine joins the national hall of fame this year.

That's a lot. Hope you have fun and everything goes exactly according to your plans and that in no way the players deviate from them or ruin them by realizing "Ya know, that necromancer has got a point. Zombified villagers do complain less."

They usually play along.
The main things I need them to realize are:
In game 1, stealing from vampires is cool.
In game 2, concentration camps are extremely not cool.

Also yeah if anyone wants to hear me be a problem player for three hours:

Grey Grey Just the result of my lunch break - mind taking a look and telling me where I'm contradicting the lore?

Name: Ivara

The treefolk; a rare sight, here, at least. She knows that, plays with it, uses the rumors and half-truths. Where they learn something, she does as well. If she ever needs to hide her appearance, a wide, darkgreen cloak usually does the trick. Beneath, her usual wear of ivy, sometimes dead and black, sometimes fresh and green; twining around the humanoid forms of her body like a second skin. Arms end in lengthly, graceful fingers, the sharp features of her face show green-greyish skin. More remarkable still are the large, black eyes, filled with the depths of her kind's ancient wisdom. The smile of her crooked lips rarely gets there; more often, they seem to stare into the distance, as if seeing far more than just the room. She never leaves without a mighty longbow, cut from reddish wood. It's just a few inches longer than she is, not too much of a deed, given her size; perhaps slightly below an average, human woman's size. She's more like a thin birch tree than a mighty oak; dexterous where a tree might simply stand its ground.

Background:
Few can match the wisdom of the treefolk's Elders. Blessed with the knowledge of centuries, they often act years in advance to avoid potential harm that only they can foresee. Their word is law, for it keeps the Awakened Woods safe, and protects its inhabitants from the outside world. Even amongst the Elders, the one named Old Oak is known for her impressive foresight. Often does she link to the Roots below, teaching those willing to listen how to walk along the strings of fate - for it is her who always sees approaching danger first, and warns the others of future trouble.

For decades, Ivara was amongst those who listened. If she searches the future for the best path forward, she does so just like the Old Oak taught her. Perhaps, that makes Ivara's exile all the more bitter. For it was the Elder who, naturally, searched through the futures of her eager student; perhaps to find a better way to teach her, perhaps surprised by her rapid progress. Old Oak never told, there was no need - nor did she ever share what she saw, exactly. Only that the young dryad's presence would, one day, threaten the Awakened Woods; and that, since prophecies are fickle, it'd be best for Ivara to leave right away. The other Elders agreed with that notion, trusting her advice as usual. Sent Ivara off to see different shores, exiled for a deed that she, perhaps might do at some point in the future.

The first few years were filled with bitterness, and the naive plan to find the root of the foreseen danger, eliminate it, and then return. As to be expected, she did not succeed, lacking the wisdom of the Old Oak to even see the threat that she, supposedly, is connected with. Years became decades, decades, by now, have almost become half a century of travel. Somewhere deep within, the bitterness remains, whenever one reminds her of that past. Rarely does she speak about it, even then; she prefers brooding over pity. But mostly, the world itself has covered the wound quite well. She still hunts for hints that might allow her return. But the youthful urgency is gone. The Shaydensea - source of much evil and thus a logical waypoint on her journey - is intriguing. Full of dangers, of possible deaths, a maze of life-threatening paths. It is a good place to hone her skills, an enjoyable dance on a razor's edge. A good place to hear news, too, and to make connections.

Right now, she is in-between jobs, so to speak; idly waiting for just the right offer, weighing her options, keeping her ears open. Some call her picky, even foolish; to miss out on some of the deals that a seer inevitably gets once the word gets out - good money, but not of interest to her. She calls her hesitation foresight, points out her last assignment - a ship, lost just days after she left the crew. The new navigator's fault, they say; if she knows better, she does not tell. Either way, it is true that she hasn't been in the air for a while; and that she's been nervous the last few days, moreso than during the last year, at least. Perhaps finally a task in sight that will be of actual importance.

Looks good! Naturally, when she meets this crew, she'll see her thread suddenly leading toward the Wood - somehow going with these people will help her home...

Thanks! I was looking for a believable reason to even be away from home, and it kind of developed from there... also solves the question why I'm with the squad, like Grey noted, so that's clear, too. Think with that, I've got pretty much everything in place, I'll add stuff together at some point tonight, hopefully.

For those who have been hanging around in the Shaydensea during the last few years: She's been there for a while, so there's room for some common background. I'm offering a dryad; seer, navigator, archer. Slightly picky about the crews she's working with, not the bloodthirsty kind, happy to share loot, not too committed to a single crew or captain. If she foresaw your importance for later, she's likely to try to stay in contact despite the latter - just a feeling at that point that you might be important. So maybe regular meetings in-between journeys, and one or two assignments together, if someone's interested? Other and better ideas are welcome!

What's the current version of the shipwreck story of Rex? Might be the last assignment of Ivara, just so she can say "I told you that things would go horribly wrong." Might not make for the best start between characters, though, so maybe not...

Silanon Silanon "I told you that things would go horribly wrong" might be the best start to a reunion. That would also mean Ivara would know Kona if you go with that option.

It all depends on characters, right? If the immediate reaction is ' ah, screw that one, let's set her on fire', then that's bad... he's cooking up something with a flame djinn, right? He wouldn't... would he?

I do like the idea, though - especially since that means getting to know two characters at once! If Ivara has ever been on the same ship, she should definitely know Kona. Maybe been aboard of her father's ship once or twice, as a hired, second navigator. Would mean that Rex' character already worked with her, which is a good idea when we don't want to wreck any new ship we might manage to organize. Your description of the ship doesn't quite sound like the environment where Ivara would want to be, but if she noticed two important people aboard...

Question: Any good way to use my foresight to give Rex a hint about the upcoming trouble? You know, more than 'stuff will happen'... depends on what exactly happened and how he got out, but it might be another thing to make the bond stronger.

A Crantiré interacting with Elementals will be interesting, because at least in the Wood the treefolk are functionally gods to the Elemental clans.

Grey Grey "...treefolk are functionally gods" Kona has no interest in any of that nonsense.

Though, a lot of this talk about Ivara and Rex's character has got me thinking. We don't have anyone filling the captain spot, right? I might tweak Kona to fill that role. She's already has the highest Guile and Persuasion out of the characters I've seen so far, and she sort of has the pedigree to boot as well. Maybe she's pulled some favors to get herself a rickety old junker airship (maybe she has a debt to someone now in exchange for it or someone's just happy to piss off her father some by helping her) and is recruiting people she knows personally or has heard good things about.

It is not impossible that Esbilon or Epiphany will end up in that role once they have time to work on characters, but that might be a wise decision.

For reference, Seska is currently relying on noted pirate captain Leadbelly Kira to maintain her armour and implants.
If Kira gives you the ship for a favour, she'd send Seska along to make sure you deliver.

Sounds good to me.

About the God thing: I think Ivara should have had more than enough time to notice that things work differently in other parts of the world. Maybe it comes up along the way, but it's not on my agenda to gather an army of Elementals. Yet.

We should find a way to get our alchemist aboard as well - Ivara might know him from another crew and get in contact; or someone else, for that matter... if Ace wants to get involved before the game starts, that is.

Out of curiosity, what do we know about Kira?

Short question: Does Lore - The Amber Eye exist? I might want to switch survival for the focus in the Knowledge department, in that case.
Just copy-pasted the other parts together in one post, finally.

Kira is an exiled Scion of Great House Yrva. She's a superlative gunsmith and engineer who controls the arms trade in Kontina. She's also on the Council of Captains.
Infamously she despises Magi, although there's only speculation as to why. Actually quite personable when you meet her - likes to laugh, loves strong drink, enjoys talking about gunplay and machinery. Always gives one the sense she's eying you up like you're salvage and she's wondering how best to take you apart for resale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back