• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Pirates of the Darkening Skies - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
D. Rex D. Rex Maybe your character had an older mentor on the ship that taught him a lot about how endjinns work or something and he convinced your character to help mine escape. Oh, and if you do make your character too close in age to mine you'll probably have to convince Grey why you have such high skills if you didn't take the 40XP option.

D. Rex D. Rex Maybe your character had an older mentor on the ship that taught him a lot about how endjinns work or something and he convinced your character to help mine escape. Oh, and if you do make your character too close in age to mine you'll probably have to convince Grey why you have such high skills if you didn't take the 40XP option.
A mentor is an idea I am tinkering with. Especially since there would be a lot to learn to work with djinntech and piloting an airship.

Hmm. You are correct. And upon further thought, if I want to lay down them slick pirate wisdom sayings to help Princess down her path, then going a little older certainly wouldnt hurt at all. Could also give some good reasons in that he was old enough to see her grow. Maybe even trying to help her along at times, be it training or telling tales or other such things.

Gonna be interesting as Seska is really really young, like 14 -15 young. She’s also not one to take a mentor on, at least in an obvious master/student relationship.

I know you got a lot on your plate preparing for this rp (and probably life), but have you thought anymore about a lightning element Attunement?

Two options I can think of to most easily handle this:
Lightning as a rare offshoot Attunement of Air, which will replace your Air stuff.
Lightning as a rare offshoot Attunement of Fire, which will replace Fire stuff.
OR Lightning as a special interaction between Primus and Air.

Grey Grey OR Lightning as a special interaction between Air and Fire.

I'm fine with whichever you want to go with. It's your system and you know what's going to work best without being too imbalanced.

My personal preference would be either a high-level/offshoot of Air, or a special interaction between 2 different elements. I think either one of those would open up the door for cool stuff, not just for my lightning, but other elements. Maybe you could then separate Ice and Water into 2 different forms (Ice being either high level water stuff or an interaction between Water and Air).

Gonna be interesting as Seska is really really young, like 14 -15 young. She’s also not one to take a mentor on, at least in an obvious master/student relationship.

You are literally the only person I would allow that for rn.

ithinkcat ithinkcat Interestingly, my initial thought was a Fire/Air interaction. Killing some dead time at the office with some design experimentation:

Lightning is an Attunment produced by combining Fire and Air through a single Channel when both are at least 4. For the purposes of Attunement values in Channel effects, use the lower of the two.

War/Lightning
Using the Channel of War, the Aspect of Lightning achieves the very apex of its power.

1. Empower Weapon - The Elemental charges their weapon (or fists) with Lightning, dealing their Attunement in bonus damage.

2. Elemental Bolt - The Elemental projects a bolt of Lightning. This deals Attunement x 2 Condition Damage, and Attunement in Health damage.

3. Static Field - The Elemental passively deals Attunement damage to anyone close to them while this is active, power arcing violently from conductive objects around them.

There is currently no Martial Art known to the Elementals to harness this - but the Stormlords have one...

Glamour/Lightning - Storm Unleashing Scream
On activation, everyone within Attunement meters of the Elemental must roll their Willpower against a difficulty 6 + Attunement.
Anyone who fails is immediately struck with awe and terror, fleeing from the Elemental.
Anyone who succeeds immediately wants to fight and will attack the nearest person they have reason to be angry with.

Artifice/Lightning - Deadly Panoply Inspiration
The Elemental can compress raw electricity into weapons, clothes, and tools as with other Artifice applications. However, these creations are deadly to anyone but the Elemental or anyone else who can Channel Lightning, and last a number of hours equal to Attunement before fading.

Grey Grey Are there any naming conventions for elementals in general, Windborne, pirates, or in general I could use to make my character's name?

Grey Grey Are there any naming conventions for elementals in general, Windborne, pirates, or in general I could use to make my character's name?

Elementals do not have last names, and their first names are evocative of their elements (my favourite so far was a Flameheart named Srikha, which is meant to sound like fire crackling). Names that sound like they've been translated from the Elemental language are fine too - maybe their name is something like First Rain After Drought, for example.

For pirates, it varies a bit. Their first name can be anything, really, and is probably derived from their culture of origin, so use a real world name if you like. They also tend not to have surnames unless they came from a named family. They always end up with a deed-name or nicknames. As an example, a notorious thief might pickup the name Lightfoot which winds up as their surname. A pirate in the webnovel is named Knell Blackhand for her spooky prosthetic arm.

They can get pretty poetic, depending your deeds - look at the pirate council; Kurze the Dead, Orohomi of the Thousandfold Will, Brutal Burk, Leadbelly Kira....

Good question tbh

Alrighty - the plan to do things on Monday obviously did not work out as intended, but you probably figured that out by now... sorry for the absence. I think I'm slowly getting there, though, mostly finished with the numbers. Got a few questions, though:
- Applied Magical Theory: Shows up in the document, what does this actually do, i.e. when would I roll that? I figure that if I want to look into the future to navigate, I'm probably still rolling navigation, right?
- On the character sheet, something named 'fate' shows up. Can't find it in the documents, so I'm intrigued...
- Languages: I'm not sure I get things correctly there. I have Creak as mothertongue, then I want to speak tradestongue and pirate's cant on a reasonable level (not poetry, just enough to get through). Does Language 2 cover that?
- Academics: Recommendations on how much is required to navigate a ship properly? I figure some calculations are needed, but I'm not sure what the right number would be.
- In the same vein: Between intellect and intuition, which one to favor for navigation? One's needed for planning, the other one for quick adaptation on the fly. So both high, presumably?

For the three things in the end, I have the following in mind right now - thoughts?
Familiarity: Ancient roots, ancient minds. The Awakened Wood itself teaches its children; or so some say, at least. They surely learn to behave within its borders, at least.
+1 on Persuasion, Empathy, Animal Handling if in contact with beings from there (not sure about animal handling - seems a natural fit, but is not what I'm going for otherwise)

Knowledge: Navigating the strings of fate. Every time you see a familiar pattern in the future's strings, it's a little easier to read. +1 on Investigation, Navigation, Survival when using her magic, since it's easier to narrow down the choices when some options are already familiar.

Training: Seer's War Dance. To see the strike long before it might hit. To see the opening long before it appears. Never say divination can not be a weapon.
+1 to awareness , dodge, ranged - longbow (is there something like 'awareness - sudden danger'? Or is that too broad, and I should go with ambush? Just in case, I want to go with awareness 3 already, not quite sure yet)

- Applied Magical Theory: Shows up in the document, what does this actually do, i.e. when would I roll that? I figure that if I want to look into the future to navigate, I'm probably still rolling navigation, right?

This is Lore in the base game - it's basically used for Manashock, advanced magical workings, stuff like that.

- On the character sheet, something named 'fate' shows up. Can't find it in the documents, so I'm intrigued...

Probably an artifact from copying the template from a different version of the setting - I'll check, but it shouldn't be there.

- Languages: I'm not sure I get things correctly there. I have Creak as mothertongue, then I want to speak tradestongue and pirate's cant on a reasonable level (not poetry, just enough to get through). Does Language 2 cover that?

Language is weird because each language is functionally a Focus, so you want Language - Tradestongue 2, and Language - Cant 2.
I'm willing to provide some extra XP to cover that.

- Academics: Recommendations on how much is required to navigate a ship properly? I figure some calculations are needed, but I'm not sure what the right number would be.
2 or 3 is wise.

- In the same vein: Between intellect and intuition, which one to favor for navigation? One's needed for planning, the other one for quick adaptation on the fly. So both high, presumably?

Both are good, but Intuition probably synergizes better with your Pattern.

is there something like 'awareness - sudden danger'? Or is that too broad, and I should go with ambush?

Sudden Danger is fine by me. Passive fatesight easily allows it.

Everything looks fine to me, and no need to worry about how long you need.

I might have found a decent way to spread 60 xp in the least efficient way possible. It's a bit weird to try to be decent at social stuff, navigation and archery at the same time, I feel. Might want to shift some attention from the fighting aspect to socials, not quite sure yet - but I suspect we'll have plenty of decent fighters around, this is a pirate story after all.

• Attributes
    Strength 2
    Dexterity 3
    Fitness 2

Intellect 2
    Intuition 3
    Willpower 4

Bearing 4
    Guile 2
    Composure 2

Mental Academics 2 ¬ Administration ¬ Artisan ¬ Craft ¬ Investigation 3 ¬ Lore 3 ¬ Medicine ¬ Navigation 3 (Shaydensea 4) ¬ Survival 2 ¬ Social Animal Handling ¬ Empathy 3 ¬ Mingling 2 ¬ Perform ¬ Persuade 3 ¬ Subterfuge ¬ Languages ¬ tradestongue 2 ¬ Pirate's Cant 2 ¬ Creak (native) Physical Athletics 1 ¬ Awareness 3 ¬ Defend 2 ¬ Melee ¬ Ranged 3 ¬ Stealth ¬ Unarmed 1 ¬

Last edited:
Looks okay. Don't need to be good at fighting when you can bend the odds in your favour.

Mostly done, I think. Will rework my background before posting, doesn't quite lead to the character I have in mind - other than that, I think I'm fine with things as they are. What should I add in terms of magic? Type down the powers from the document, likely - anything else that's required?

Mostly done, I think. Will rework my background before posting, doesn't quite lead to the character I have in mind - other than that, I think I'm fine with things as they are. What should I add in terms of magic? Type down the powers from the document, likely - anything else that's required?

Powers are very free form honestly.
If you want we can work on a formal School of Seeing for them - it improves some use cases at the cost of others to add personalization.

Defence
Defence: Dexterity + Defence
Parry: Defence + Parry Focus, etc
Evade: Defence + Evade Focus, etc
Block: Defence + Shield Focus, etc
Short question about this: There's two kinds of Defence here, right? For Parry, Evade etc, which one do we take? If I have the skill Defence 2, and Dex 3, without a focus, do I have Parry 2, or 5?

Short question about this: There's two kinds of Defence here, right? For Parry, Evade etc, which one do we take? If I have the skill Defence 2, and Dex 3, without a focus, do I have Parry 2, or 5?

5 until you take a Focus

That might be interesting for Ace Cream Ace Cream if I'm not mistaken - just found it when I compared the character sheet with my draft.

Powers are very free form honestly.
If you want we can work on a formal School of Seeing for them - it improves some use cases at the cost of others to add personalization.
Let me finish the backstory stuff first, then I'll probably have a better idea where potential expertise might be at. Right now, I feel like the general divination idea will do the trick; I can see something more focused, potentially, though.

How far ahead can seers usually look into the future with some reliability? Right now, I'm mostly thinking in terms of short-term visions, myself.

So that's kind of complicated, but essentially, with focus they can see up to a few years.
The trick is that the future is constantly in flux, so they need to understand the subject to some degree, which is where Empathy becomes important. The past lines of fate are easy to read going back decades, and current links of fate between people and places are quite clear. Going ahead, you can see many probabilities and need to exercise some expertise to tease out the most likely, with a few being especially bright and clear to indicate their greatest likelihood.
For example, you can often see six different ways someone can die in the next five minutes, but most of them are faint and unlikely.

Grey Grey Is it wiser to heavily specialize in my stats (be really good at a few things, but have to rely on others for things), or is it wiser to spread out my stats? I want to spread out my stats (both to show her level of inexperience, as well as I can genuinely see her having at least some skill in a good number of things) but I'm afraid with a lethal system that it'll just mean I'm going to be the first to die.

Grey Grey Is it wiser to heavily specialize in my stats (be really good at a few things, but have to rely on others for things), or is it wiser to spread out my stats? I want to spread out my stats (both to show her level of inexperience, as well as I can genuinely see her having at least some skill in a good number of things) but I'm afraid with a lethal system that it'll just mean I'm going to be the first to die.

Go ahead and spread her points out.
I won't be throwing lethal challenges at you right out the gate, and let me outline my philosophy on violence for this game:
Generally, people don't want to kill each other. If it comes to fighting, someone screwed up. Most people will surrender if they're hurt. You can and should try to talk you way out of a situation, or sneak out, or trick your way out first.

Speaking of stat. If one execute an action that they're skilled with but not focused to, does this mean they will roll with 3 instead of their focused level stat?

Like, I put Otto with 4 in incendiary(ranged) weapon but I also plan to give him sleeping darts. So when he use the dart, he will roll with 3 instead of 4 right?

Sweet. Kona, the no focus Windborne, shall be done soon...ish. Got a research paper to write this weekend and a physics exam on Monday to study for...and Star Wars tabletop RPG Saturday...but I'll get this done eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back