• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Pirates of the Darkening Skies - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Grey Grey , I am still interested. I have just busy with some RL stuff over the past weekend. I should be able to look over the source material tomorrow and get a character up in a couple of days' time. If you need/want to start before then, I understand.

Grey Grey , I am still interested. I have just busy with some RL stuff over the past weekend. I should be able to look over the source material tomorrow and get a character up in a couple of days' time. If you need/want to start before then, I understand.

No worries, no rush. I have a very busy work week ahead and I don't expect anyone to have a character done before the weekend.

You know, that would make a great concept for the captain...
No rush, I have writing to do for Itzacon next month (hoping pick up the National again this year) so we're not starting in a big hurry.

I usually go for quite low-power, but in this game I suppose you could say we're starting at Terrestrial Exalted and going up from there over time.
That said, the last campaign I ran, the most deadly and competent crew member among Magi and Scions was an ordinary human mercenary.
Interesting interesting!

And I'm not to big on taking up a bunch of kills. I see it as a team sport in that regard. So ling as I can help them along. Besides, being a pilot would be a useful utilitarian role.

Trying to get an idea of tone so that I can get a good feel if what to and not to do, as well as how far things can be pushed or how grounded I should be.

Do you have any kind of vision about what direction youd like to take the adventure? As in, if you want it combat heavy or more dependent on what the characters got going on for them?

Combat is a good way to get killed or maimed, so I mainly plan to focus on following the story and going with the flow of character ambitions. NPCs will have their own agendas and how they interact with the schemes of your crew will influence our direction.
So don't think in terms of kills.

Err on the side of grounded where possible.
At the risk of 'too much damn reading' this old thread in the same setting basically hit the right tone all the time. Everything So Far

Combat is a good way to get killed or maimed, so I mainly plan to focus on following the story and going with the flow of character ambitions. NPCs will have their own agendas and how they interact with the schemes of your crew will influence our direction.
So don't think in terms of kills.

Err on the side of grounded where possible.
At the risk of 'too much damn reading' this old thread in the same setting basically hit the right tone all the time. Everything So Far
Lol I dont think about kills at all.

But that gives me a good idea of what I should be aiming for.

I just need to come up with a suitable ambition.

Fuck I put the dumbest easter eggs in this setting last game.

"A pretty standard selection; A Book of Creation, Avellon's Of Magic Obscura, Pendleton's A Man Without Honour, Three-Dog of the Awakened Wood's Tales From A Wasteland. The newest volumes are a heavy black tome written in Uld and a slim volume of the pulp novel series The Exciting Aerial Adventures of Captain Kain, Vampire Pirate. "

Grey Grey Silanon basically took the same character concept I was gonna go for. I was gonna play a wind/storm elemental. Who needs a storm lord when you can just be the storm itself. Was thinking also maybe using a railcaster if possible. So yeah...lots of overlap. Not sure what I'd want to play otherwise at the moment.

Grey Grey Silanon basically took the same character concept I was gonna go for. I was gonna play a wind/storm elemental. Who needs a storm lord when you can just be the storm itself. Was thinking also maybe using a railcaster if possible. So yeah...lots of overlap. Not sure what I'd want to play otherwise at the moment.

Stormlords and elementals operate quire differently and come from very different backgrounds, so that could lead to some interesting culture-clash.
Especially since elementals are traditionally subservient to crsntiré. If they're both out of the Wood, how do those old rules apply? What are they both doing exiled?

@Grey Silanon basically took the same character concept I was gonna go for. I was gonna play a wind/storm elemental. Who needs a storm lord when you can just be the storm itself. Was thinking also maybe using a railcaster if possible. So yeah...lots of overlap. Not sure what I'd want to play otherwise at the moment.
Think it's hard for me to move far enough to make space for your character idea as well, but I'm open to suggestions. Just checked the list of magical patterns, there's not too many that'd fit in too well - Golden Flame, Emerald Sea and Diamond Soul stick out to me as different, yet somewhat close concepts that I could go for, but they all mess with the archery/navigator theme. I'll give it some thought, now that I know that you're considering something similar.

Silanon Silanon
Well if are looking for ideas, a couple pop out to me. The Amber Eye could fit both of those lines, while a simple "seer" sounds, it could be a great boon to an archer and navigator. Imagine navigating not by stars or ordinary compass, but by strands of fate that can't be seen or followed by others. Or using such talents to pull of shots no normal being could pull off.

The ivory sun, with powers of insight and illumination could be seen as core features of navigation and exploration. Couple this with probably shooting out laser arrows.

The silver tree, make the ship itself alive. Many plants have uncanny senses, such as predicting weather among other things. And with archery. You would have essentially and endless quiver. Splinter them into your foes, or implant seeds that do horrific things.

Bronze mountain, molding metals with masterful fingers you could create navigational instruments beyond compare. And with the power of metal at your command, what would your arrowheads not be able to pierce?

I'm personally thinking more of an elemental force, less of a crafter-type spellcaster - so silver/bronze aren't really what I had in mind. Ivory might be more in the right direction, so that one's worth a thought...

I totally missed the Amber Eye, could see that one. Fits well with the dryad theme, allows fro some high-accuracy archery action (why shoot if the arrow wouldn't hit, right?), allows for good longterm navigation... not the elemental force I was thinking about, but I can totally see that one working out. Plus, I've played seer-like characters multiple times and enjoyed them a lot... thanks for the hint, this might work out damn well... also gives an easy explanation for why she left the woods - saw the trees around her would die in her presence if she stayed, so she left; searching for the scum in this world, trying to find the trail of whoever would endanger her home, so she may return, one day... damn, think there's potential...

Grey Grey I guess I still don't get how the elementals are different. The documents say that elementals have their Wildervar powers, Attunements, and Channels, but I'm not seeing what those are anywhere. I was assuming that they basically could use the same patterns as other magi. They're just creating the same effect through a different source, though. Do you have any documentation on Wildervar powers, Attunements, and Channels, or am I blindly missing something?

Grey Grey I guess I still don't get how the elementals are different. The documents say that elementals have their Wildervar powers, Attunements, and Channels, but I'm not seeing what those are anywhere. I was assuming that they basically could use the same patterns as other magi. They're just creating the same effect through a different source, though. Do you have any documentation on Wildervar powers, Attunements, and Channels, or am I blindly missing something?

I... will in a couple of hours. Please hold while I type some stuff up.

I'm intrigued with the cursedland part. Grey Grey can you tell me more about it?

I'll make a lore thread and add entries to it as people request, so as to reduce clutter.
So expect something soon; I'll make sure you see it.

ithinkcat ithinkcat

Some stuff tailored for a Windborne Elemental, but if you're interested we can cover some others they could seek access to.
Air/War

Using the Channel of War, the Aspect of Air can be made to bend and manipulate the air around an Elemental, and if powerful enough their immediate environment. It allows them to gather winds under themselves for added mobility, or add gales to their strikes. It requires no roll or source of power to use, only concentration. With especially strong control, an Elemental strong in this Attunement can use War to draw the breath from an enemy's lungs.

1. Empower Weapon - The Elemental charges their weapon (or fists) with Air, dealing their Attunement in bonus damage.

2. Elemental Bolt - The Elemental projects a blast of wind, which counts as a throw using double their Attunement as Strength.

3. Vortex - The Elemental generates whirling, whipping winds around themselves, causing penalties equal to their Attunement to anyone within a short range.

Feather On The Breeze Style
Requires:
Unarmed, Evasion, Athletics.
The ability to control and manipulate air.

Rank 1: Who Touches The Wind?
You can't stab the breeze, and you can't block a zephyr with a shield. In every combat round in which the fighter is manipulating the air, their grace grants them +2 to their Dodge rating and Unarmed Offence rating. If the fighter is flanking their opponent, is behind their opponent, a Windborne Elemental, or is significantly smaller than their opponent, double these bonuses.

Rank 2: You Cannot Run From The Gale
This technique applies in any combat round in which the fighter uses wind manipulation to fling or toss or knock back an opponent. The target of this tossing effect takes a -4 penalty to any Athletics roll to avoid being thrown.

The fighter may automatically keep pace with their opponent for free, no matter how far they have been flung, in order to keep attacking. Any attacks which follow this technique are considered to come after the target has hit wherever they were flung to.

All attacks made with this technique benefit from the effect of Rank 3, once the combatant has Rank 3.

Rank 3: The Lazy Wind Blows Through You
It can't be bothered to blow around you, no matter how well you wrap up.
Fighters of this style are quite happy to blow around you, to cause the same effect. In any round in which the fighter uses a wind technique to either blow an opponent off balance, or to enable themselves to out-maneuver their opponent, apply a penalty to the target's Soak before any Soak negation and damage from their attacks. This penalty is either -3 or equal to the number of successes rolled to activate their air control, whichever is higher.

Rank 4: I Am The Eye of The Storm. You Are Not.
In any round in which the fighter is using wind control, their effective movement speed (but not their combat Speed) is doubled, and the Combat Pool dice cost for tactical movement in combat is waived for the first time they move in that round, and then halved to 1 die for every movement after that.

Conversely, for their opponents, their effective movement speed (but not their combat Speed) is halved, and they must pay 4 dice from their combat pool to make tactical movements in combat.
Note that this is not a spellcasting effect or use of Wildervar, mutation, vampiric Sorcery or Infernal Expression in its own right. It is a controlled effect which takes place in any round in which the air stylist is using their power.

Rank 5: It Is Not The Wind Which Kills You
It is your failure to appreciate the wind's gifts which brings you down. At the end of every consecutive round in which the fighter uses this Style, allocate two dice into a pool. At any time when the pool contains four or more dice, the stylist may choose to use it, as a free action. This takes the form of the pool being rolled as an environmental attack, which the target must roll Intuition/Awareness at a -2 penalty in order to spot. Unlike the pinnacle technique of Ravenous Scarlet Tongue, however, it is not the element itself which is the attack. It's generally the very large piece of debris which the target is about to get clobbered with. The attack is made at the fighter's Unarmed Offence rating. Assign damage based on the object the target gets hit with, and the target must then roll the higher of their Fitness or Strength, against Athletics, not to get knocked down.
This technique cannot accrue more than six dice, or three stacks.

Air/Glamour - Wind-Whimsy Expression
Externalizing their mercurial, impulsive inner nature, the Elemental adds their Attunement to their Bearing rolls when being brash, excited, and without subtlety to convince people to go along with them. They can also apply their Attunement as a penalty either to Composure or any task requiring concentration that anyone around them is attempting. When conversing with someone, you can add Attunement to Subterfuge or Persuasion rolls to change the subject, make them forget what you were talking about, or make them forget you were talking to them at all - for a while.

You can have any of these effects active based on your Attunement, but the more you have active - up to your Attunement level - the weaker they are.

Air/Artifice - Bottle-Breath Technique
With this technique, the Elemental can condense the very air into tools, weapons, and clothes. They can trap the power of the rain, snow, and storm to unleash or harness.
As long as this Channel is open, the creation will persist, and the power is equal to your Attunement. Once this Channel is released, the created item disappears.

I'm intrigued with the cursedland part. Grey Grey can you tell me more about it?

Grey Grey Thank you :hearteyes:. Wind-Whimsy sounds lolzy. I love everything in air. Eventually I'd like to see what water has and if there's anything lightning based when you have spare time.

Grey Grey Thank you :hearteyes:. Wind-Whimsy sounds lolzy. I love everything in air. Eventually I'd like to see what water has and if there's anything lightning based when you have spare time.

I can do water at some point, and I can figure out some way to get lightning.

Water would be pretty fun. One of my favorite elements. I'd get interested in magic but I cant think of much reason why my character would have any. I think I'd like to see how cool I can be without relying on such powers. Maybe see what all can be done with a high will stat characteristic of humans.

I think I'd like to see how cool I can be without relying on such powers.

Way back when, my players set each other non-canon duels and combat challenges, and through a combination of dirty tactics, cunning, and luck the standard mortal player (with some high-tech gear, mind you) managed to come out even or win in a few of them.

D. Rex D. Rex You can be the Sokka to my Katara any day.
Then so it shall be!

Way back when, my players set each other non-canon duels and combat challenges, and through a combination of dirty tactics, cunning, and luck the standard mortal player (with some high-tech gear, mind you) managed to come out even or win in a few of them.
I specialize in dirty tactics and cunning!

As for luck... well, I've learned to fondly embrace my talent for rolling 1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back