• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Pirate Alternate History—Hunting the Sea Dragon

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Reynarda

Nerdy Vampire
In an alternate history, the Golden Age of Piracy lasted far longer. Pirates pillaged and plundered and riffled and looted. So much so, that many countries’ merchant and navy forces declined. The pirate’s ranks swelled as pirating became easier, and the ocean grew swamped with their ships. By necessity, became more organized, uniting under flags of the most cut-throat pirates. These pirates began to fight each other for the few brave merchant ships that crept along the routes. Great Britain, a naval superpower, took the opportunity provided by the infighting and created a response to the pirates—the pirate hunters. These brave sailors shot into the seas, sinking pirate ship after pirate ship. The gallows were once again populated by the rats of the sea. Now, the rest of the seafaring countries pay fees for the pirate hunter fleet to protect the shipping lanes. The pirate hunters, led by the cunning Admiral William Stirling, have sunk more ships than they can count, and have sailed home with many a pirate captain swinging from their jibboom. There are few pirate fleets left, but they are the toughest and the cruelest of the lot. No pirates dare to sail without one of the fleet’s flags flying on their mainmast.

No ship but one. The Sea Dragon owes allegiance to no one. Four years ago, when her young captain took the helm from the foolish and now-dead previous captain, he cast off the flag of the most bloodthirsty pirate—the Pirate King—and flew his own. It was a small ship, so the Pirate King didn’t much care. The new captain was barely a man and would surely be sunk soon, anyway. Let him wet the pirate hunter’s swords with his crew’s blood.

But he didn’t get his crew killed or his ship sunk. The newly-christened Sea Dragon outsmarted and out-maneuvered Admiral Stirling’s pirate hunters. So much so that pirates began to wonder if this captain didn’t know more about the pirate hunters than a pirate should. Rumors flew, and they were only compounded when Admiral Stirling issued a reward to any pirate hunter crew who could bring the Sea Dragon’s captain and as many of the crew in alive.

In a deadly battle, the Sea Dragon loses several crew members. They put into a neutral port with the intention to take on more crew. Pirates not wishing to fly under a fleet’s flag, as well as spies from the fleets, and bounty-hungry pirate hunters arrive, hoping to infiltrate the Sea Dragon’s crew. The Sea Dragon is signing aboard new crew at The Fat Pelican in neutral Port Royal. Any and all are welcome to apply within.

Footsteps sounded on the boards behind the helmsman of the Sea Dragon, who was attempting to sip his rum in peace. Fortunately, he was accustomed to pacing. He was reasonably certain that the captain couldn’t hold still if his life depended on it.

“Yah tea’s getting cold, mate.”

The footsteps paused, and out of the corner of his eye, Amos watched the captain pick up his tea and sip it. The pair could not be starker in contrast. The helmsman was tall, broad shouldered and dark. He wore a bandana over his shaved head and a simple cotton shirt and breeches. He wore a gold earing to pay Davy Jones and a colorful sash in which he had stuffed an array of knives and pistols. The captain, on the other hand, was pale, slender, and a head shorter than the helmsman. He wore a tricorn hat and a worn blue captain’s coat. A single sword hung from the belt across his chest, but Amos knew he had several knives tucked into his sash. His sash was the only thing that made him look more than an average merchant. It was not actually a sash, but a British admiral’s pennant. None of the crew actually knew how he had obtained such a prize as Amos told the story differently every time. When asked, Drayce would shrug and say he and the helmsman had stolen it.

The helmsman rolled his eyes as the pacing resumed. The Fat Pelican’s private room wasn’t exactly large enough for pacing, but that clearly wasn’t stopping the captain. “The new crew’ll be fine, Drayce.”

“It’s not the new crew.”

“Port Royal is neutral.”

“Nor the port.”

The captain removed his hat and ran a hand through his brown hair, making it stick up like the feathers of an alarmed cockatoo. An alarmed Scottish cockatoo—Amos amended.

“Our luck will run out eventually. We can’t keep escaping the navy and the fleets.”

“We’ll be alright, mate.”

“Optimism will not save us, Amos. Eventually, one is going to catch up to us. It’ll either be death at the hands of the fleets, or whatever horrors the admiral has in mind.”

Drayce didn’t need to specify which of the admirals he was talking about. There was only one where most pirates were concerned.

“It ain’t optimism. We have the pluckiest crew and the maddest plans. We make our own path, not fate.”

The captain finally stopped pacing, so Amos opened the ship’s book and patted it. “The last run-in with the hunters was a hard lesson. We just gotta fight better.”

Drayce settled onto the bench next to Amos and picked up the quill to write the date. “And if we can’t?”

“By the sea! You worry more than my Great Aunt Fanny.”

Drayce had no way to know if Amos even had a Great Aunt Fanny, but he evoked her name in many of his oaths.

“The rest’ll be done with their shopping soon. And men should be showing up to join up.” Amos swigged the last of his rum. “How about more tea?”

Standing in front of her mirror, Melinda had finished brushing her long black hair. She had worn a white buttoned down blouse, black pants with a belt that had a ship on it, boots, a captain's hat, and a long overcoat that was her father's.

With a deep sigh, she was satisfied with her look and excited her room. She was on a ship, but it was docked at Port Royal so it didn't go anywhere. Her captain had called them all for a meeting and there was a task that she was going to be given. Or so she was told.

Upon entering the deck, all of the men lined up in a neat row with their eyes falling on her. She smirked, knowing that she was in command. Then the captain came out of his quarters and nodded at her. "Listen up crew. The reason I had called you all is because we had received news about a ship who is hiring new recruits."

Melanie rolled her eyes. Piece of cake.

"The ship is called The Sea Dragon and we need at least one volunteer to go aboard and pose as a crew member."

Melanie's eyes had then widened. If no one volunteered, she was going to be selected with no choice since she was the best. When she had seen the crew members all look at each other, they didn't raise their hands. No. "Captain, I-" she had began to walk towards her but his smile widened.

"So nice of you to take leadership Mel. You'll do great. Go to your quarters and pack as well as get ready. Remember, dress as a man." He winked before leaving.

---

Melanie walked through the town with her satchel. She had to fiddle with the tie downs over her torso because she wasn't used to it, but damn it the thing was uncomfortable. With a growl to herself, she came to The Fat Pelican. The entrance was large to her because she was getting nervous. 'Be a man Mel. Confidence. Just like the past. Show them how strong you are!' she coaxed herself and entered into the bar.

Her eyes fell on two males sitting at a table waiting for something. Maybe that was them? She walked to the bar, ordered a shot of whiskey, drank it and then walked in their line of sight. "My name is Grant. Grant Worley. I'd like to board your ship and go on adventure and get treasure." Idiot. They won't take you now! Your man voice is weird! She hoped they looked past the odd intro and take her.

Last edited:
Emma walked through town and she was eating a apple she had stolen off a cart but she suddenly stop when something caught her eye. A wanted poster of her with a huge bounty. She titled her head as she looked at it. "At least draw me right." Emma said as she looked at the poster. The only thing they had gotten right was the color of her hair. She was about leave but a conversation had caught her attention. Apparently there was captain looking for new crew members. "Pirate huh?...Sounds fun!" She said to herself. She then happily made her way to the pub. When she got there she looked around trying to figure out which one of these people were looking for the crew members. Her ears picked up a man voice asking about joining up. "Found them!" She ran up to the three man. "Hi Hello! Here your looking for crew members. Mind if I join?" Some of the men in the bar who heard her laughed a little seeing as she didn't look like she survive a day as pirate. Emma ignored them seeming not to care, which she honestly didn't, instead she looked at the guy next to her and looked him up and down. Emma didn't seem like it but she very observant. She was pretty good at telling when something or someone was off. She shrugged it off not caring enough to figure it out. She looked back at the two men. "So whose the captain?"
demnkiller demnkiller
Reynarda Reynarda

Drayce sighed, watching men swagger into the tavern. It was taking all his self-control not to bolt back to the ship and sail off. Sensing his unease, Amos nudged him lightly with his elbow. He was about to make a joke when a man swaggered up to them.

Drayce looked him over with his usual critical manner, but Amos grinned.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Worley. I'm Amos, the helmsman, and this here is Captain Drayce." He took a breath to continue, but Drayce spoke first.

"Do you have any prior experience?"

Amos rolled his eyes. You didn't ask pirates if they had prior experience. Pirates didn't even know what that meant. You just took whomever seemed like they knew how to handle a sword and which way of the ship was up. But Drayce had insisted on interviewing people since he'd been voted in.

Amos turned his attention to the young lady who had strode up. "Afternoon, Miss. He's the captain, I'm the helmsman. You ever sailed before?"

Mel was taken aback by the pirate's words and gritted her teeth. 'How dare he question my intentions. He has no business.' She then sighed. 'You're a man Mel. Think like a man. You are capable of being a captain as anyone. Prove your worth.'

With a nod, she smirked at the question. "I have years of experience and loads of stories. My mates would talk about the legendary Sea Dragon in hopes that they would board her one day. Well, that was until our captain decided to disband us because he had found a lady friend." She sneered. "It was the best years of my life. I'm too young to stop so I've been seeking to get back to the good old days so when I had heard about the opening to the beauty everyone was drooling about, I had to find out for myself."

She looked at the female beside her and could tell there was something about her. Maybe she had a hunch already? Mel had a thought that women had a sixth sense about certain things so she knew that she had to be more careful around this individual than ever just in case. Then, she looked back at the two men who had been evaluating them and in hopes she could get a bite to eat before heading out/

Jack limped up to the captain. "You the cap'n of that there ship in da port? Sea Dragon, they call 'er? I don't mean ta interrupt, but my names Jack Verone, I been sailing since I was 18, I broke my leg a year or two ago and now I'm no good as a sailor, but I'd love ta sign on as da cook and the unofficial musician, I know what I'm doin' and can offer plenty of advice too a young cap'n such as yourself, all I ask for in return is respect, food and good pay." Jack extended his hand, ignoring the person already conversing with the captain. "So we 'ave a deal, cap'n?"

"Nope! Buuut I'm always up to trying something new." Seemed like the fellow next to her had experience sailing. Another person came up this time a old man who wanted to be the cook. As she waited for a response she walked over to the bar. "Hey Adam can I get a drink?" The bartender looked up at her and smiled. "Sure it's on the house." He grabbed a bottle and tossed it to her. "Here take this just got it in." Emma smiled. "Thanks!" She then walked back to the table and sat down the table and to a swing from her drink. "So am I in?"
demnkiller demnkiller
Reynarda Reynarda
Countofcristo Countofcristo

Drayce was attempting to listen to multiple conversations at once while maintaining a death-grip on the ship's book. Amos sighed. They couldn't be choosy as many pirates wouldn't sail under the Sea Dragon's flag as she wasn't affiliated with a pirate fleet. They really had to take on anyone crazy enough to write their "X" in the book. But Drayce had lifted his chin and was frowning, which meant he was just about to turn both people away--most of all Grant, who he was regarding through narrowed eyes.

"I like your spirit," Amos told Emma with a grin while nudging the captain in the effort to get him to stop eyeing poor Grant so suspiciously.

"You don't walk like a pirate," Drayce said evenly, his eyes still narrowed.

Amos wanted to throw his hands up and shout that the captain did not walk like a pirate. But he knew Drayce distrusted flattery--even if it was true. No doubt what the young man said about the "legendary" Sea Dragon had put him on edge.

Amos managed to slide the book from the captain's grasp and push it forward to the two young pirates before a man strode up and elbowed himself into the conversation. Drayce's eyes narrowed further, and Amos figured it was the fact that Jack not only called him "young" but also suggested he needed help. Before the captain's pride could lose them a possible cook--such a rare thing--Amos nodded vigorously.

"Oh, aye, Mr. Jack. We could use a good cookie, to be sure. " Amos dipped the quill in the ink and held it out to Grant--as he had come first--and tapped the book. "Lads and lass, just sign your name right here. if you don't know your letters, you can give us your name and the captain will write it for you."

He nodded cheerfully to Drayce, who at least had eased up on his scowl so that he looked more mildly displeased rather than suspicious and angry.

Jack smiled and stepped forward, waiting to write his name. "So, cap'n, when we's setting sail? I want ta get some good coin before I become to old ta sail." Jack laughed at his own words.

"Maybe it's already a lil' late for me ta be sailing, but worst case, ya jus' toss me body overboard, cap'n, I won't mind, them fishies are nice folk." Jack chuckled.
"This is gonna be a good time, I can tell a good crew jus' by looking at 'er cap'n."

Jack pulled out a pipe and lit it, smoking tobacco, he smiled cheerfully as he waited his turn, unaware that he had offended the captain.

Melanie sighed when she caught the scowl of Drayce. Was he on to her? Did he believe what she said? She was just trying to be nice, but it seemed flattery didn't do much for those boys. It also surprised her when Amos had held the pen out to her, but took it lightly. "Thank you." She nodded before going to write. However she stopped suddenly. Incognito. She then wrote messy but still readable, not trying to give her elegant scripture away.

Her eyes turned to Drayce and nodded when she stood up. "I appreciate the opportunity." Her voice serious. "I'm going to get a bite to eat before we board. Let me know if I need to take it with me." With that, she walked to the bar and ordered food before sitting at the furthest table facing everyone. Once thing she was taught was to watch her surroundings because people were dirty. Her food had arrived and she then began to eat.

Amos continued to be all smiles as the trio took up the quill and signed their names. The captain continued to appear to be scowling, but that was just his resting face and no amount of telling him that he generally looked angry would change it. Besides, Amos supposed a pirate captain ought to be fearsome. And Drayce didn’t look like much if you hadn’t seen him outwit the hunters’ ships. Might as well look perpetually irritated, Amos supposed.

Fortunately, Jack asked him a question, and Drayce’s expression eased long enough for home to answer. “As soon as we get the crew we need. Hopefully by the next tide.”

Drayce gave Grant a nod of acknowledgement when the man thanked him and Amos beamed. “It’s our pleasure to have you aboard, lad.”

As they turned to get food, Amos regarded the signatures. “We should be able to shove off soon, mate. Not much else we need. They should’ve purchased our supplies by now.”

“Good,” Drayce said, remembering his now-cold tea and downing it. “The sooner we’re on the open ocean, the better.”

He stood, the ship’s book under his arm, and stride from the tavern. Amos caught the eyes of the new recruits and gestured for them to follow. “We’re setting sail as soon as the tide turns, mates. Gather your affects.”

Esme walked off an old ship that by the looks of it wouldn't last much longer on the High seas, the look on her face was that if annoyance and sadness. Behind her more people emerged, all wearing the same look as if something had gone horribly wrong on that ship. Most of the people had their belongings in bags, Esme included. Her bloodstained bags hung loosely over she shoulders, swinging slightly as she walked, they seemed fully to the brim and quite heavy yet she continued on with determination in her eyes.

Finding a crate to sit on by the docks Esme took off her bags, placing them carefully by the crate with a sigh before looking over a few letters from other crews, they seemed to be letters reguarding a death on her ship. Each letter was more or less the same in its words yet phrased so differently, though none of it mattered to Esme. That crew and its people had a dispute leading to the end of the whole crew itself, without the captain at the helm of them they fought like cats and dogs. Brushing some hair aside she looked over the ships at the Dock, hoping atleast one needed a doctor on board.

Mel took out a quill and ink followed by a piece of parchment. She was writing a letter to her superior about the news of her acceptance and that they were going aboard as soon as possible. Once she had received her food, she had packed it away and tipped the waiter before leaving to save the fresh food for later. Getting up, she left the building and towards an aviary for messenger birds. "One hawk." She nodded. The male gave her a strange look, but allowed her to go through the necessary steps to achieve one. With that, Melanie attached the note to the hawk's leg and had sent it off. She then tipped the man in thanks before heading to the docks to board the ship.

Reaching the docks, Mel sighted the famous ship and smirked at its sight. This was going to be an interesting journey. The people she had to mainly watch for the women. They were more perceptive and sneaky, but she would still keep guard among the males because one slip up could be detrimental. Especially when they're out in the open ocean. The thought made her cringe. No one should be trusted. However, her mind then wandered to a more mundane thought. Should she get on and find a room? When the British had set sail, they were to enter by ranks and had first pick so this was different. There were ranks but did it matter when it came to rooms? With frustration, Mel had found a nearby barrel to sit down on and put her bag between her legs so she could keep an eye on her things. She had decided to wait since she didn't want to get yelled at for assuming. Oh how complicated the adjustment it was going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back