• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Phones Don't Skate

"She didn't contact you personally?" Rhydian was visibly upset.

Winfred rubbed her forehead, shaking her head. "Dad wouldn't let her. It was part of their deal, and I'm glad about it."

Rid grunted, but he let off and moved the subject to the contents of the message. "Where and what time?" He took the dishes they'd used and walked to the kitchen that wasn't far off. He began to wash them, pretending he wasn't shaken inside. "I'll take you."

Winfred lips opened and closed shut, observing him, then they opened again. "I can't believe this. It's this evening. It's that stupid high-end restaurant with the 100 vegetables. Autumn du Pompous."

"Auberge du Pommier." Rhydian corrected.

"I don't have an outfit for that. I don't even have the person for that. I'm not going."

Rhydian set the dishes away, he turned. "Last time I checked your closet, which used to be my closet, there was my old black leather jacket."

"The one with the emo studs?"

"God, no. The one without the studs."

"Yeah, so what?"

"Use it with the red pencil dress I bought you for my graduation that you never used."

Winfred choked. "Excuse you? Plunging neck-line much. Do you know how big my butt would look in that? Do you know how big my boobs would look in that?"

Rhydian hesitated for a moment, not for the same reason Winfred did. He just didn't want his baby sister to attract the attention of horny old rich men. "It's for one day, then you burn it. It's a smart casual kind of restaurant. I went there once with Carter."

"Oh god, you wore those ugly chinos right?"

"And aviators." Rhydian smirked, grabbing his keys from a decorative plate. "C'mon, I'm driving you to your dorm."

The twins headed back to the rink after Matthew's class where they found the coaches and the girls already waiting.

"Great! Everyone's here!" Claire chirped. She had put her glasses back on and her hair tumbled down her shoulders. "Now then, Helena, Bailey, any good places to eat? We're going to celebrate our GP placements" She winked at them.

"I've always wanted to go to Auberge du Pommier." Bailey sighed.

"We can't afford that place!"

Bailey's eyes widened. It seems like Alex wasn't the only one with a penchant for blurting things out.

"Don't worry!" Victor said, "Our treat. And we would like to say thank you for taking care of our American for us."

"Will they let us in?" Helena wondered. She looked decent enough, but Alex dressed like he'd just come home from a football match and almost everyone else was dressed more like it was finals week at the WS Library. Only Victor, who for some reason was wearing a suit, looked like he would fit in.

Claire bit her lips. "Can we trade jackets? We're the same size, right? I think I can increase our chances." She took off her glasses and pulled a hair band out of her pocket.

In their 40s, most women enjoyed the comfortable jeans and sweaters that accompanied their age, allowing for strenuous laundry lifts, long yoga stretches, and "teenage sneaking-out catching". There were hardly any women in Winona who didn't lead a busy home life as well as a busy work life, and things such as beauty and elegance were reserved for special moments with a husband - or a lover.

But then there were women like her, sitting alone at a table in a restaurant filled with patrons that couldn't help but look twice and wonder who she was.

"Ho lasciato un messagio con il padre adottivo della loro figlia, Signora da Santi." A primly dressed woman with flawless black skin and keen eyes leaned into the ear of the women sitting at the table.

Lucia da Santi set her cup down with barely a sound. She nodded and waved her hand politely. Ms. Riza retreated behind her.

Lucia wrung a paper towel in her hand. Her heart a mess of anticipation.

----------------------------------------------

"Do you ever brush your hair?!" Fanny complained for the umpteenth time, but considering that Win's brother was watching them, she didn't dare throw in an insult.

"Only when it's convenient."

"Brushing your hair is convenient, Win." Her brother scolded.

Fanny rolled her eyes and arrogantly threw out a thank you, glad that someone agreed. Win glowered, but remained in the chair as Fanny styled her hair like her old beauty pageant guru taught her. Fanny didn't mind taking the effort as long as Rhydian introduced her to his track mates.

Rhydian watched them kindly, growing happier as he watched his younger tomboy of a sister turn into a beautiful young dame - minus the arrogance and pretentiousness that came with a nice appearance. Despite being her brother, he felt like a proud dad, even as her face grew gradually more sour as the minutes ticked by.

Finally Fanny waved a hand in the air. "I'm a goddess, tell me this isn't divine work."

"What? I can't see myself."

Rhydian helped his younger sister stand tall. He was among the few males that towered over her, so it wasn't hard for him to straighten her out. "If Carter could see this..." He grinned happily. "...turn around."

Wyn did as she was told.

"If you don't get laid like that, I'm sorry, but your personality is hopeless.'

Rhydian glared at Fanny, and she pretended she hadn't said anything. He went back to looking at his sister's reflection and feeling like Dean as if he were about to marry her off.

Normally, it was impossible to tell that the Tamford siblings were anything but American thoroughbred, but when you took a closer look, as both Fanny and Rhydian did now, you could see that they carried a foreignness that neither sibling cared for, but was regardless beautiful.

Win's body was athletic, and it would always be, but that didn't mean she lacked curves that could be accentuated. Her arms and legs were both tanned and toned, but they were long and meant for sleeveless shirts and summer shorts that she often refused to wear. She had broad shoulders, a visible, healthy collarbone, wide hips she used to take people down, and a penchant for using all four to tackle people twice her size.

In her current outfit though, Fanny thought the tackling would not be done on Win's end.

Winfred Tamford's blinked until she irritated her jade eyes, which were personally done in a "smoky eye" (Win had no idea what that meant) by Fanny in what she deemed the West Coast Royalty.

Who is this?
Her raven hair was done up on one side, but falling loosely in waves on the other side of her face. Is this me?

Rhydian picked up some keys that use to belong to him. "Can't go in my pick-up truck, can we? Let's take your Honda."

Fanny protested. "The motorcycle? You're going to mess up her hair."

Rhydian was already opening the door, a dazed giantess following behind him. "Thanks, Fanny."

"I'll be expecting ALL the eligible track members!!"

Last edited:
Helena nodded slowly. She slid off her thinly knit blue sweater and handed it to Claire, who slid off her own running jacket with NIKE emblazed on it. Helena thought it was odd because she definitely remembered the skater being in ads with Adidas. She laced her hair through the hairband, pulling it into a ponytail before wrapping it around into a bun.

"Ummm, do you have a mirror by any chance?" She asked around.

Helena pulled a compact out of her purse and handed it to Claire who tried to adjust it but couldn't see herself clearly in the small mirror.

"Here, let me" Matthew offered, stepping forward.

"Thank you so much!" Claire sighed, letting her old rinkmate tuck the loose strands into a more elegant shape.

"No bobby pins?" He wondered.

Claire shook her head. "Why would I need them?"

"Done" Matthew stepped back and Claire hugged him.

As she stepped back, put her hands on her hips and gave everyone a dazzling smile, Helena could now see the woman she knew from TV.

"Oh look! Our ride is here," Victor said, pointing to an SUV with an Uber logo in it's window.

It wasn't long before they reached the French restaurant, located in the wealthiest suburb of the town next to the golf course. Matthew did his best to hide behind his much larger brother as Victor and Claire confidently lead the party and marched straight up to the podium.

The maitre d' opened his mouth, probably to object to their dress but Victor interrupted him

"Peut-on avoir une table pour sept, sil-te-plait?" Victor asked, waving around his credit card. The matitre d' blinked at him, trying to process what he had just heard.

"Ummm, ici" the waiter said lamely. Matthew cringed. Even he could hear the obvious thick English accent.

Victor beamed. Claire discretely handed Helena her jacket back, but it seems like Helena didn't want to let go of the item in her hand.

"Lucia!" Yuuri cried as they walked past a particularly stunningly well-dressed lady. "Fancy seeing you here! Garçon de café, pouvons-nous nous asseoir ici?"

"Got your phone?"

"Yes."

"Where exactly?"

"In my boobs." Winfred laughed, "Next to my wallet."

"You won't be needing your wallet." Rhydian passed her the keys to the Honda, the motorcycle didn't seem too out of place from the other cars. "Last time I took Carter here, we bailed after ordering water."

Win chuckled. "Alright, but aren't you going to take the Honda back?"

Rhydian shook his head. "I'll call my flat mate to pick me up. You take it, in case you need it."

"Oh...okay." Winfred's lips pursed, her lips were a lovely subdued red that matched her dress. She lifted her arms, the black leather jacket crinkling as it wrapped around her brother. She hugged him. "Thank you."

Rhydian watched his baby sister go in and peeked inside the restaurant as she opened the doors. A part of him wanted to go in and look at the woman who had held him for the first five years of his life, but for the sake of his sanity, he turned around.

At the hosts stand, Winfred felt oddly out of place and incredibly nervous. She was fiddling with the ends of her dress, pulling it down but still feeling as though it was too short. She felt like another person. She looked like a different person. She was so distracted by this fact, that she failed to notice that two people had moved in front of her, skipping her spot.

"Hey," She called to the person closest to her, but then lowered her voice.

The person turned around.

Winfred's stomach plummeted.

"Winfred?!" Elliot Vallis exclaimed in shock, he was no longer sporting bruises and cuts. "What are you doing here...looking like...like that?" His eyes wandered.

"Sir? Madame?" The host asked. He didn't have time for this. More people had arrived behind them.

Winfred's gaze grew dark, but she proceeded by pushing past Elliot. "I'm Winfred Tamford. I'm dining with Ms...da Santi?"

Placated, the host happily tabbed her name. "Please, come with me."

Elliot watched his track mate's younger sister, a brute of a girl he had known for most of his life, and suddenly felt cunning. He spoke to another host, ignoring the friend he had brought along that was suggesting they go to the smokers section. "Vallis. Could I get a table next to Ms. da Santi?"

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ms. Riza stood between the man called Victor and his entourage. She was a serious secretary and had been hired to do all kinds of work for Ms. da Santi. Including protection.

Lucia's hand shook, but she put it up. "Sta bene, Cara."

Lucia da Santi turned her head, and a radiant smile grew on the woman's petite face, but it did not reach her emerald green eyes. There was so much shock and pain that this man's appearance brought to her. "Victor Nikiforov! We spoke on the phone about your pupil. I had no idea you would actually appear in Winona." She wanted to protest about their sitting next to her. She didn't, fearing impoliteness.

The waiter looked horrified as Victor and Yuuri picked up a couple of tables, complete with wine glasses, plates, and cutlery and pushed them together next to Lucia.

"Yes yes," Victor said, although he did note her dismissal of Yuuri.

"This is Matthew Anderson, he's the skater I was talking about. Wonderfully expressive. Matthew, this is Lucia da Santi and she will be your ballet instructor, or maybe one of her teachers will be. We'll see what fits! She's US Ladies champion of... what year was it again Lucia? Anyways, she is a wonderful ballerina was also the prima a production of in Swan Lake, it'll go wonderfully with your free skate music. I swear Matthew would be a danseur if he weren't in skating. This is Claire Wu, you've heard of her, right? Matthew's brother Alex, and his friends Helen and uh..."

"Bailey," the girl in question said. "And her name's Helena."

"Aaaahhhhhh," Victor laughed it off "Sorry! I've always been bad with names. And of course" Victor wrapped his arm around the shoulders of the shorter, pudgier Asian man who blushed and averted his eyes. "You've met my husband, Yuuri Katsuki. Matthew, why don't you sit next to Lucia?"

Matthew nodded and took his seat. Next to him, sat Alex then Claire, Helena, and Bailey. Yuuri sat down next to Lucia and Victor next to him.

Bailey nudged Helena and whispered in her ear. "Have you heard of her?"

Helena shook her head. "But the name sounds familiar"

Claire overheard. "I haven't either"

Lucia was overwhelmed. She still, however, managed to look graceful when Victor began to introduce his group. The first was a young man who she discovered was her new matriculated dancer. She greeted him politely. Next he introduced a marriage of people she did not know, including Claire. She had long since stopped keeping up with the ice skating world.

She greeted them all with courtesy. Her face never betraying how nervous she was. But upon Victor's introduction of his husband, the nervousness vanished and replaced with nostalgia. "Oh my goodness!" She nearly flew past Victor. "How terribly impolite of me. Sono dimentica, mi despiace. Yuuri, you filled out so well. I hardly recognized you." Unlike Victor, Yuuri had a temperament similar to hers, albeit more shy. They were not close, by any means, but they had more in common than she had ever let on.

Lucia gave a small smile at all individuals within the group, even as they began to sit down. Her gaze was gradually returning to the nervousness that had been with her since the week started. She watched them sit, and then waved her hand for Ms. Riza. "Vorrei una sedia per la mia figlia."

The elegant black woman with the work suit proceeded to lift a chair and place it in between Lucia and Matthew. Lucia excused her, "Forgive me, I was expecting a guest."

A waiter made his rounds, stopping at the unexpectedly large group. "Eh...will that be everyone?"

At this time, Ms. Riza's earpiece hummed discreetly. She leaned into Mrs. da Santi's ear, whispering something.

Lucia jumped up, nearly knocking down her chair. Then she turned.

Winfred looked incredibly uncomfortable as she was led down the rows of tables by the host. Fanny's shoes were starting to pinch her heel, and the person in front of her was taking his leisurely time. But finally he stopped, and pointed at the tables not too far from where they were. "I see the party has grown. That would be Ms. da Santi's."

Winfred started to shiver. Wasn't this supposed to be a private affair? As she got closer and closer, she could tell the tables were packed with individuals. They all were seated, until one woman wearing a black dress stood up.

But it was neither Lucia nor Winfred who spoke first when they faced each other.

It was Bailey Wittinger. "Winfred?!" She exclaimed in total shock. "Winfred Tamford?!"

Helena turned to her. "Are you crazy, Bailey? That's not..." She took a second look and felt taken aback. "Winfred?!"

Where was the woman who wore torn jeans and ill-fitting sweatshirts? The girl who barely brushed her hair and never wore make-up. This Winfred - this Win - looked as stunning as the lady named Lucia.

Kill me. Thought Winfred.

Yuuri blinked at Lucia, unable to understand the foreign language. "It's fine, it happens," he said sheepishly as Victor squeezed his arm.

Matthew's jaw dropped the girl in front of him was simply stunning. How many sides of her were there? Every time they met, it was another surprise.

Claire assumed it was an acquaintance of Helena and Bailey's until she saw Alex's jaw on the floor as well.

"Winfred?" she asked Helena.

"You know... that tall girl who you guys played hockey with."

She leaned back in her seat, whistled and crossed her arms. "Damn, she cleans up nicely." before shooting a glance at Lucia, sitting up straight and plastering her smile back on.

"Oh, Winnie!" Victor said. "I hope we're not intruding, how do you know Lucia?"

"Victor, I think it's best if you stopped trying to remember everyone's names," Yuuri said. Matthew didn't know if it was possible for his ears to turn any redder.

Winfred ignored the stares. Figures. The moment she decided to take fashion advice from Fanny and the world implodes. She felt frosty and hideous, despite looking like hell on heels.

"Evangeline..."

"Winfred." Win corrected. She thought this woman reminded her of one song in particular song. She didn't remember the name, but she could recall one line. Beautiful People and their Beautiful Problems.

Lucia da Santi extended her hand.

Win stared at this woman. She was a real Audrew Hepburn type, but she could see her italian descent. She could see her own italian descent. And Winfred hated it.

She refused Lucia's hand, and watched as the woman politely nodded, moving to her side and allowing her to sit. Winfred was glad that there were actually witnesses in case this woman decided to hold her hostage. She sat down as Matthew's coach asked about her. "My crazy granpa calls me that too." She scooted herself in. "It's alright Mr. Victor Krum."

"Nikiforov." The majority of the table corrected.

"It was a joke." She rolled her eyes. "Anyway, Ms. da Santi is an...acquaintance of my father."

Lucia nodded, the pain in her chest encompassing her heart, but she told the lie without missing a beat. "I wanted to catch up with an old friend. Winfred came in his stead."

Both mother and daughter sat next to each other. Their faces held the same uncanny, similar nervous expression.

Winfred cleared her throat, scooting her chair away from da Santi, and consequently closer to Matthew. She turned her head, her rouge lips drawing into a flat line. "Sorry..."

"So what brings you guys here?" She asked everyone.

Last edited:
"No no, it's fine," Matthew said, hastily scooting his chair to make space. It scraped against the hardwood floors and Matthew cringed at the sound. "Wow err... you look.... umm... amazing" He managed to stutter out. Matthew wasn't the only one staring. Alex had a hard time taking his eyes off Win's well toned behind as she took her seat

"We're celebrating Matthew and Claire's Grand Prix placements," Victor said happily. "So we asked these lovely ladies for recommendations and they suggested this place."

Matthew noticed the uncanny resemblance between Win and Lucia and suspected a relationship more than acquaintances. Maybe long lost siblings? Nevertheless, he chose to remain quiet. His lips felt dry and he felt oddly hot and sweaty. It was probably just meeting his future teacher.

Clarie squinted to get a better look at the two women. She had contacts she liked to wear for interviews but they were in her luggage back at the hotel.

She glanced past them and noticed a blurry figure which seemed familiar. She shook it off. She couldn't get a good look anyway. It must be a coincidence.

"Bro, I brought my Cuban cigars so we could use them." An incredibly unimportant human being said, settling onto a chair next to his friend. who was currently ignoring him.

Elliot Vallis was silently plotting. Ever since the video came out showing his drunken nature, his father had cut his allowance of every six months from 10,000 to 5,000, and consequently threatened his chief position in his track and field team. Not to mention that his father's friends' sons keep pointing out that a certain woman managed to draw blood from him. On top of that, his best friend - or he should suppose ex.best friend - beat him up.

And it was all because of the three people sitting at one particular dining table. It made it all the worse that Helena was also there. It was almost mocking. "Shut up, Porterfield. I'm thinking." He seethed. "Waiter!"

A man approached, and then Elliot proceeded to whisper in his ear and slip him a wad of cash.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Win shot a surprised look at Matthew as she listened to Victors' explanation. She felt flustered. What am I supposed to respond to compliments again? Winfred felt like finger gunning her way out of this table and pretending that she wasn't, in fact, Winfred Tamford. When Victor finished talking, WIn snapped back into focus. "Oh yeah, I remember you guys talking about it." She finally replied after a shred of her discomfort was shed. "Congrats on the Grand Prix thing."

Lucia, despite being rebutted by her daughter earlier, felt satisfied enough to express interest in their achievements, but her eyes never really lingered on them as much as they did on Win. "Is that so. Auguri, which assignments do you have?"

Bailey was gradually growing more curious on this woman's origins. She had never met Win's dad, but word in WS was that he was living in the middle of a forest in a cabin surrounded by bears and bigfoots. Which made it impossible to believe this woman was acquainted with him.

After a while. "Here are more menus." The waiter from earlier buzzed around them. "Today's chef specialties are black truffles simmered in a light lemon pepper sauce and the Omble Chevalier."

Win took a look at the prices directly to the right of the items, ignoring what the waiter said completely, and couldn't help but whisper a curse her side of the table could hear.

She only had 50 bucks and a coupon in her wallet.

As the waiter retreated to let them think, minutes passed, a different man with the lightest steps an the most gleeful smile replaced him. He sported five roses which he handed to each of the young ladies and Mrs. di Santi.

"Courtesy of the gentleman three tables down."

"Thanks," Matthew told Win. "I mean... it was a foregone conclusion but I think my coaches just like to take us out sometimes."

"NHK and Skate America" Claire revealed. She looked at Matthew and smiled.

"Oh, umm, Skate America and Skate Canada," Matthew said.

"And because the Grand Prix is so close, he doesn't need much instruction and especially not any correction," Yuuri told Lucia "Matthew is very advanced and I trust he can go through the motions by himself. Mostly assessment and observation. I think after Skate Canada, he can start taking up new lessons."

"Don't worry about it" Matthew whispered to Win as he noticed her expression upon receiving the menu. "I'm sure Victor will insist on paying for everyone. And I'll lend you some cash if you don't have enough."

Helena and Bailey's faces lit up as the roses arrived.

Claire meanwhile looked unimpressed. She raised her eyebrow at the waiter. "Tell him if he wants an autograph, he needs to come over here himself. But I think he just wants to get laid. He's not doing a very good job."

"What do you mean?" Helena wondered.

"The secret to success is making every girl feel special," Claire said snobbily. "He's not doing a very good job,"

"Just because a boy is being nice doesn't mean he wants to get in your pants," Bailey pointed out.

Claire raised an eyebrow "But one who sends you roses?"

Bailey's mouth opened and closed a couple of times like a fish as she tried to think of a retort.

Claire twiddled the rose in between her fingers. Her vases had been looking rather empty for a couple of months. Would customs even let her take it back? Did she even want to keep a flower that wasn't earned due to her success but because of her gender?

"Here, you have a vase, right?" She asked Matthew who stared at her mouth open. "I don't think it will pass through customs anyway."

"No! And even if I did, I wouldn't take it. Think about the man who sent it!"

"The man who sent it is going to be even sadder that this beautiful flower will wilt underneath shampoo bottles TSA agents haphazardly tossed upon it"

Claire was so adamant she almost convinced herself.

Still fuming at Claire's assumption, Bailey stood up to go thank the gentleman but her face fell as she looked three tables down and saw Elliot "What is he playing at?" she whispered furiously to Helena.

The tables' gradually settling atmosphere was now uplifted with the appearance of Elliot Vallis. Ms. da Santi had been enjoying her new pupil's analysis but now was curious about the newcomer. However, she really didn't want any more distractions tonight. She wanted this moment to be about her daughter. Speaking of her, something about the rose seemed to be bothering Winfred.

Helena's eyes were wide with confusion. "I...I really don't know." She looked at the rose in her hard and frowned. Perhaps he was just trying to get laid? But Elliot had never been the kind. He had conquests sure, but he was the possessive type. Besides, he had given her gifts way more expensive than this rose. She found it as lovely as Bailey, but somehow less romantic.

Winfred, on the other hand, was hit with a pang of sorrow and embarrassment. She already knew who sent this flower. Would it be pitiful to say this was the first rose- and romantic gift -she had ever received? From her ex-long time crush no less. Claire sounded like she was granted these kinds of luxuries all the time, so much so that she was willing to give them to Matthew.

With resentment, she snapped the thorny stem off effortlessly, leaving a smooth green finger-length end. "That's assuming he finds you special, or any of us for that matter..." Then she turned to Matthew. "You should listen to her and take the flower - here." She took the end of hers and slipped it between his ear and hair. "Take it as a thank you for anything you might pay for me." She whispered. It was not supposed to be a romantic gesture, Win stuck things in Carter's hair all the time, and her brother's -- and Fanny's, but that was something else entirely.

Ms. da Santi watched. It seemed she would have to pay more attention to her new pupil.

Bailey bit the underside of her lip, but then she too gave up her flower. "Let's consider it your come back present." She put her flower on his table.

Helena followed suit, gingerly adding her rose to the pile. Her eyes staring holes at the table with Elliot Vallis in it. It was her way of saying he didn't want anything of his. "Yeah!" She said, focusing on Matthew now. "You deserve so much more that roses though."

Ms. da Santi smiled happily, an elegant laugh bubbling from her chest. "It's the first time I've seen this type of support. Bravi amici. Cara!" She called for the woman behind her. She whispered something in her ear, and then the woman bowed and walked away. "I asked her to go to that man's table and ask who he is and what he want."

-----------------------------

Elliot Vallis' face was contorted into something between anger and the face you make when you lick a lemon.

Porterfield stared between him and the table where all his roses had congregated onto Matthew Anderson's plate. "Man, I didn't know you were into dudes. I guess this is why your Dad and Mom are getting a divorce."

Elliot felt fury enter his veins. The topic of his mother leaving was something sore to him. "Porterfield. If you don't shut up, so help me god, I'll kill you right here and right now."

Porterfield braced himself, but no punches came as a beautiful dark-skinned woman came to inquire about them in an accented English.

Elliot smiled devilishly. "My name is Elliot Vallis. I'd like an audience. If that's possible? We could sit with them."

She bowed then returned to her madame.

Lucia da Santi raised a perfect eyebrow. "Elliot Vallis. I've never heard of him. He wants an audience."

Last edited:
Matthew blushed and he took the rose out of his hair. "No, no, no, I can't wear this. It's yours!" He frowned. "What do you mean to pay you for?" He tried handing back everyone's flowers.

Claire bristled. "An audience? What are we some sort of King?"

Victor opened his mouth but Yuuri shot him a glare and he stayed quiet.

"He's a classmate of ours," Helena said. "But why?"

"He's also the one who attacked Matthew" Bailey scowled, her opinion on her admirer had soured considerably.

"What?" Alex burst out. "Why is he sending roses to my gir- ooofff"

Claire had elbowed him hard in the ribs. Alex didn't seem phased. "To my friend." He finished.

"Why would he want to see us, you don't want anything more to do with him, right Matthew?" Claire said.

"Hold on, maybe he wants to apologize," Matthew reasoned.

"I don't think it's a good idea," Claire argued.

"Hold on, shouldn't it be Matthew's choice?" Helena argued, surprising even herself for talking back to Claire, "He was the one who was punched"

"I was punched too," Bailey said, although punched was an over exaggeration of what happened, "And I don't want his face here"

"Well?" Claire turned to Matthew.

Yuuri moaned and put his hands in his face on the desk. "I'm so sorry Lucia."

"Let's give him a chance," Matthew said he looked at Lucia's assistant and nodded.

Admitting defeat, Claire scowled and slumped back in her seat. Alex put a hand around her. "Hey Claire, it'll be fine. He's not going to do anything here with all these people. Besides, we're here and so are your coaches."

She seemed to soften somewhat.

Winfred swatted her flower away. "It was a jo...Forget it."

Lucia shook her head at Yuuri, "No no dear, it's fine. I had no idea this had happened."

Win's mood had plummeted more so than before. And the more they talked about Elliot Vallis, the more it soured. She listened as they continued, down to Alex's comforting Claire. Finally, she snapped. "For the love of - just let the guy say what he needs to say, and then he can get the heck out of here. Matthew's not a baby." She lasered them, chin set in frustration. Then it cooled. She met Matt's eyes. "He knows how to square his shoulders."

At her daughters final input, Lucia agreed. She had no idea who this person was, but given that her daughter didn't visibly like him, and that he had beaten her daughter's friends, he was not earning any brownie points. "Cara."

Ms. Riza assented to both the young sir and her madame, coming back seconds later with two young men.

"Good evening." Elliot's smile was plastered onto his face in the way that used to make Winfred swoon.

Mumbled hellos and reciprocated greetings set a frosty mood. Winfred didn't bother to say anything.

"As you all probably figured out by now, Matthew and I got off on the wrong foot." His eyes exuded lament, so very well acted.

Lucia da Santi and Winfred were not amused. A similar expression of distrust appeared on their faces.

"But I'm here to make amends. Isn't that right, Porterfield?"

Insignificant Porterfield was too busy staring down Winfred's red dress. Win reciprocated by snapping a bread stick in half. They hadn't ordered yet, but she thought she couldn't eat anything other than her own blood and spit at this point.

"Uh..yeah. He's sorry about what happened at the party. He was totally ass-faced drunk."

Elliot grimaced at his friend's foul language. "Pardon his manners."

Helena was honestly shocked, even Elliot's way of speaking was different. Who was this person? "Elliot, what do you want to do."

Vallis was incredibly glad she had asked, and glad she was talking to him again. "Simple, I'll pay for your entire meal. In exchange, I get to show how regretful I am to Bailey, Matthew and..." His gaze froze when it landed on Winfred. She had a dark expression, as if killing intent were present all around her. "...Winny."

His use of her nickname only made the giantess' rouge lips pull down.

"What do you guys say, hmm? I think it would give Matthew some good press."

Last edited:
"Hold on! I was going to pay!" Victor protested. "I'm treating my kawaii students and friends to dinner."

"Victor, don't try to speak Japanese," Yuuri said, his face still in his hands.

Matthew stood out and reached out his hand. "Apology accepted"

"Hold on." Claire protested, glaring at him. "You haven't actually apologized. Making amends does not mean paying him off with dinner."

"Clarie, drop it," Matthew told her.

Chairs appeared for Elliot and his insignificant friend. Elliot wound up sitting next to Claire and Alex, separating the couple much to Claire's displeasure. Alex, on the other hand, seemed giddy to make another friend.

"Bro, do you lift?" Alex asked, glancing down at his muscular body. "Oh I'm Alex Anderson, my teammates call me Double A or Anders. What do you play?"

Claire leafed through the menu.

"Garçon?" She trilled. And in an overly sweet voice she said "Est-ce que je pourrais avoir le plat de fruits de mer? Et le meilleur vin que vous avez."

"Claire!" Yuuri scolded. "We can't afford that wine! And I thought you hated seafood?"

"He's paying," Claire jerked her menu in Elliot's direction. "And so what if I feel like lobster and salmon."

"We will have champagne and she will have the chicken," Yuuri glared at Claire "You can't have shrimp, it doesn't agree with you."

"I'll pick it out!" Claire argued.

Elliot Vallis felt his smile strain at this new annoyance. She had Helena's beautiful Asian face, but behaved like a thorn on a rose. He watched her pick out the most expensive items and couldn't help but wonder if his Dad's tab even covered guests.

At the questions from the man at his side, Elliot plastered on another congenial grin. "Nice to meet ya. I do work out. And I'm track and field...I'm the best there is."

Winfred scoffed. "Are you forgetting my brother's time charts nearly match Usain Bolt's?

A clatter as a spoon was dropped onto a plate.

Lucia felt her heart swell with something that resembled pain. She was proud. "Really?"

Win would have none of it. "Yeah, he's always had great endurance for track and the shit life throws at him."

Bailey and Helena were taken aback at her way of addressing the woman beside her.

Lucia remained as refined as ever. She knew she deserved this. "I'm sure Dean played a large part in helping him."

He did.

At the mention of her father, Win's eyes softened. "Yeah...he's the best father."

Lucia felt her daughter's anger waver and so she pressed. "I heard you've also taken to ice skating."

"Hockey. And unlike some, I am the best there is."

Elliot kept his grin, but it was becoming harder and harder, now that he was being attacked on both ends. "Maybe we should order and settle accouts later. I intend to prove that I'm not the drunken man you saw in that party."

His friend was miles ahead. He shot a flirtatious look at Bailey, "You can order anything sweetheart."

She was tempted to order another table.

Winfred looked at her menu, pretty done up eyes straining to read the words. She didn't understand a lick of French. "Well shit."

Her appearacne did not match her manners.

Do bougie restaurants even have hamburgers? She - and on a side note Helena - had yet to figure that out.

Claire and Yuuri bantered for a while before they compromised and settled on the duck. Yuuri sighed as if this was not an uncommon occurrence.

Helena frowned at the menu. "Which one is the hamburger?" She muttered under her breath.

Claire glanced over. "I don't think they have it, but they do have a beef fillet, here." She pointed it out on the menu

"Yeah, Win's is amazing!" Alex told Lucia. "She and her friends nearly beat me and Mattie!"

Matthew coughed. "Al, think about what you said,"

Alex's eyes widened. "Crap! I didn't mean it like that."

"He plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs," Matthew clarified.

"How does that happen? One twin an NHL defenseman and another a Figure Skating World Champion?" Bailey asked.

Matthew took a sip of his water. "That was in juniors. It's been a long time since I've won anything."

"Mom and Dad manage an ice rink for a club in Brooklyn," Alex said, "We took classes there for free and we'd hang out there after school."

"I didn't know Riddle was that good!" Matthew turned to Win "Think we'll see him in Tokyo?"

"Maybe you should worry about Pyeongchang first." Alex teases.

Matthew groaned. "Don't remind me. I'm sure Aaron and the new kid can land us 3 spots though, as long as I don't slip further down," That thought depressed him.

"You have to make it!" Claire said dramatically, "We've gone to every international competition together, I don't know if I can face it alone." She struck a pout.

"Not the Grand Prix" Matthew laughed, knowing she wasn't being serious.

"Exactly, and I don't do as well in them,"

Winfred smiled. "No, Rhydian loves track, but he wants to be a physical therapist. He's really good at that fitness stuff."

The woman beside her radiated curiosity, but it was promptly stomped by the final ordering of food.

But the chat continued while they waited, surrounding the Grand Prix and Matthew's involvement. A long period later and the libations had arrived. Some received what they wanted. Others were shocked by what was on their plate. Regardless, the food had arrived and it was time to eat.

Lucia had kept some inquiries about the earlier conversation. "Matthew, dear, am I to believe that you've fallen in the ranks? Is there something on your mind?"

Win picked at her plate slowly, only partially wondering what exactly she was eating. The conversation didn't concern her, but curiosity still managed to kill the cat inside of her. She peered at him, waiting for a response.

Elliot feigned interest. "Really? Man, I'm sorry to hear that." He was not.

Lucia continued despite his interruption. "Believe me when I say that it's not okay to keep things bottled up."

Winfred stabbed her food, but she didn't say anything.

Claire averted her eyes at the question.

"Uhhhhhh," Matthew stammered "Not really, the reason I came here was to have a change in scenery. I think my routine last year was uninspiring so my PCS dropped. I think I might just be getting old"

A wave of protest rang out among the girls at the table

"You're only 23," Bailey said. "And I love your skating, you're not getting old at all"

Matthew tried to smile but couldn't help but think that Bailey would watch him even if he came last in every competition.

"If anything I'm getting old," Claire said. "I'm 22, an old maid compared to those I share the podium with. Hardly anyone's won a Ladies medal at my age. On the other hand, our coach was still popping out medals near 30."

"She's right, I won my first major international medal at 24" Yuuri pointed out

Matthew frowned, he wanted to argue that he wasn't like Claire or Victor or Yuuri. He had peaked in his teens and was by no means a skating genius like them. He didn't want to hear it anymore though.

He turned to Elliot. "So track and field? What event?" If anything Matthew could spot someone who loved to talk about himself.

Elliot's chair creaked as he straightened his back, clearing his throat. "While I am a sprinter, and the 100 meter dash is my strong suit, I don't lack skills in our relay races and hurdling events. I may not be built for endurance, " He tentatively looked at Winfred, who stabbed her food harder. "But I compensate with my vast skill set."

Win closed her eyes and swallowed what she believed was fish. "Bet your ex-girlfriends told you that to make you happy." She mumbled quietly.

He continued, "Like my friend Rhydian, I don't plan to be a professional. I will be taking up my father's diamond refining business. The Vallis Factories supply a multitude of jewelers around the world. I wouldn't be surprised if one of your engagement rings came from our sources."

Helena knew that the Vallis brothers were CEOs, but back then, he hadn't said it so straightforwardly or arrogantly. She knew he was wealthy, but she didn't know how so. Bailey was shooting her a quirk of an eyebrow, ignoring the creepy leering from Porterfield.

Helena's eyes showed how unimpressed she was. "Well, when I get married I won't need an engagement ring. My parents want a traditional Han Chinese wedding. Engagement rings are westernized."

Winfred lifted her glass. "Here here. You'll look great in red, girly." Win was glad someone had intervened. She tipped her head back and downed her glass.

Lucia nodded happily, "What about you Winfred? Will you need a ring?"

Win met her eyes, and as much as she wanted to snuff her curiosity, her father had taught her better than that. "Rings are shallow. I don't need one nor want one, and I'll probably get married in my old age, when spending the rest of your life with someone means more."

Helena blinked repeatedly, "But what about having your family see you get married? They might...you know...before then."

Win laughed. "My father hates weddings more than politics."

She suddenly remembered Victor and Yuuri were married. "No offense. He had over 72 extended family members. So spending for weddings was rough."

Lucia enjoyed that fact. She laughed lightly, "Perhaps he'll change his mind for his daughter."

Winfred made a "mm" for assent, but said nothing more.

Elliot coughed, disliking the fact that the attention was no longer his. "Matthew, my father would love to sponsor athlete's in the figure skating scene."

Win coughed back. "Selling" She coughed once more. "your soul."

Last edited:
"That's impressive," Claire immediately perked up. "My dad wants me to take over his law firm but I don't want to be a lawyer."

Bailey couldn't help but think that Claire would make a rather good one.

The conversation carried on.

"I think it depends on the one proposing and if he can afford it," Claire said. "But if I got a diamond ring, I want a synthetic one. They have fewer imperfections, are cheaper and don't have a chance of being sourced unethically." She couldn't help but glance past Elliot at Alex. "I don't want it to be anytime soon though"

She sighed and her eyes glazed over. "All that red pocket money. I'll probably have two, a smaller one for friends and family in Toronto and a bigger one at Worlds for my international friends. I definitely want a poofier dress. I already have too many elegant ones. What about you?" She glanced at Bailey.

"I haven't given it much thought," Bailey said

"Every girl thinks about her wedding," Helena laughed. "I have a high school friend who doesn't want a white dress but doesn't want to pick the colour cause she doesn't know the race her husband will be"

"Really?" Yuuri said a bit surprised. "Don't most jewelry companies advertise with ladies?"

"Yeah, it would suit Claire a lot better," Matthew said, "Or you could ask Aaron Alston. I don't know if my image is right for a jewelry shoot."

"I don't want to take anything away from Matthew," Claire said. "And I'm already waaayyy too busy, You should take it, Matthew! It's a lot more glamorous than Hashtag AmEx"

"We also handle Matthew's promotion. I'd be happy to discuss it more," Yuuri said. "Here's my business card. You should have your advertising department contact us. We'll be in town next week as well."

Winfred watched Elliot pocket the card with a sly smile, the kind that dealers give when they sell you a shitty car. She thought it best to keep her mouth shut. Porterfield was eyeing her plunging neck line, or most specifically what was held between them, and she had to spend some mental energy to keep her dignity.

She didn't know the etiquette surrounding excusing herself, but if Victor and Yuuri were anything like her father, they wouldn't let her leave the table until she ate fully. So bit by bit, she chewed on her food. Her red lips left no stains on her fork, even as she jabbed her utensils into her mouth.

Carter would tell her to have better manners.

Bailey and Helena had striken a conversation surrounding ancient sedans and Chinese head dresses. Lucia asked Victor and Yuuri what they had been up to lately, occasionally diverting questions to the Anderson twins and Claire and nevre working up the courage to ask Win about her life.

Which left Elliot and Winfred eating and silently staring away from each other.

Just when Win was about to eat her last bite, he spoke loudly. "I want to apologize to both Bailey and Winfred as well. Bailey, I'm terribly sorry for shoving you away with my finger. Win, I don't actually think that you're..."

He let the obvious hang.

"...a freak?" Winfred finished for him. "Hulkish? Montrous? Mm...apology accepted. Sorry for throwing you across the room like a ragdoll."

Lucia da Santi was incredibly perplexed. Her daughter's current appearance didn't indicate that sort of strength.

Bailey put down her glass, looking at her plate shyly. "I'm sorry for saying you're a two-bit athlete."

Oddly enough, neither young woman meant their respective apology.

Ms. Riza, who had been standing off to the side, leaned into Mrs. da Santi. Seconds later, Lucia's face dropped and her green eyes flared with alarm. Not yet, he said he would be away all week. "I believe it's getting late. Should be settle the bill? I am more than willing to pay for all of you."

Matthew watched as Elliot apologized to everyone and everyone apologized back. There was a part of him that wanted to apologize too, but he didn't know what he would be apologizing for.

"No no no, Lucia," Victor said, "We're paying, we insist, after all, it was us who intruded upon you."

"Claiiiirreee" Victor whined. "What is this world come to when the student pays for the teacher!"

"When the student is grateful for numerous world championships," Claire said matter of factly. "And also, my publicist just closed an advertising deal with Clinique," she said smugly, "Just got the text"

Helena gasped "Really! That's so cool!"

"So my treat," she said.

Winfred whistled, "If I knew you'd be paying, then I would have been more careful with what I ordered." She looked down to her empty plate that contained little remnants of her fancy yet undiscernible meal.

Helena also thanked her. She had received a nice plate of seasoned pasta, and didn't believe it cost too much.

Bailey thanked as well, but she felt a bit bad about allowing her to pay for all of it, so she proposed "I'm sure we can all make it up to you by taking you around Winona. I'm not a native, but I have friends that know the coolest places."

Winfred thought this was a cool idea. Her brother had a map of all the locations Dean and the kids used to visit. She didn't voice her thoughts though. She hardly knew Claire, and didn't know if they would enjoy the same kinds of activities...

Suddenly, she felt a movement in her hand. She looked down to find a piece of paper. Ms. Riza stood not too far away.

Lucia put her hands together one finally time. "This was a beautiful meal. I'm glad to have met and reunited with all of you, and I was able to meet some of my da - " She paused and retracted, " my darling friend's acquintances."

Helena nodded happily. To have met such an elegant lady AND dine with Victor and Yuuri, this had been the nicest dinner. "We should get together some again...maybe not in such a lavish restaurant."

And of course, meeting with Helena again sounded like a marvelous idea to Elliot, "Yes. We should."

The youngest Tamford sibling scoffed, but remained otherwise silent.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have leave you all first." Lucia stood, her willowy body revealed no hints to her age. She had the silhouette of a ballerina, even though it had been years since her last show. "Winfred, please thank your father for me."

The woman in question consented but didn't look at her. The paper in her hand felt like it cut into her palm.

"Thank you all again...Addio. Goodbye."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back