Phase 1: Induction

I grin.

"Like a-"

Partner in crime? No, I knew Kat. She wasn't in it for the money. She wanted to help people. To be a hero, regardless. In that way, I guess she was better than me. I just want to help me and mine.

"...sidekick?"

"Well..."

She looks embarassed, squirming under my gaze, as if she's admitting to some childhod fantasy. In fairness, she probably is.

"Yeah, kinda. I don't look too good in tights though...."

I can't help but chuckle at this. It's tired and faint, but Kat hears it and beams back at me.

"You know, I probably can't give you actual powers, though I'll have to research that to make sure. But I can definitely make you... well, almost anything you want. Though we'll probably have to wait until I get the base up and running,"

"Yeah, about that... what- Actually, nevermind," Kats shakes her head and flumps back onto the bed.

OPTIONS:

1. "What? What were you going to say?"

2. "Got any changes in particular in mind?"

3. "It's actually getting pretty late..."

4. Write in~

Please respond in Voting Thread.

@Jaye@Riuma@Anomaly@Grey@The Fuzz@PixelWitch

Last edited by a moderator:
"What? It's not like anything you could say would be ridiculous at this point," I tell her, smiling.

"Nah, it's not that," Kat explains, shaking her head with a grimace. "I was just wondering... what are you going to do with all this? Like, become a cape, genetically engineer a battle dog, superpower your best friend, start planning on building a secret base in the New Mexico desert? Why?"

I blink, trying to process what she just said. I honestly hadn't thought about it. It just seemed like the thing to do honestly.

"I... uh..." I stammer out, trying vainly to come up with an answer.

Rolling over on the bed, she waves me off.

"That's why I tried not to say it. Bit heavy for tonight, you know?"

"...yeah," I agree, plopping down next to her.

Still though, the question starts burning into my mind.

Why? It's not like I was honestly trying to get into the Wards, or become a super villain, or do anything other than making enough money so me and Mom can live comfortably. So why go through all this trouble? Plenty of tinkers have gone legit and gotten paid well for it too.

"You okay?"

"I think I just need some sleep," I say, lying back with a sigh. "It's just been one long, shitty week, and I'm so goddamn tired,"

"I'm sorry," Kat says quietly, biting her lip.

"It's fine, don't be sorry,"

I push myself up off the bed again, pulling the dress over my head. It gets a caught on my shoulders, and I yank it too hard, causing it to pop free with an ugly tearing sound.

"Shit," I mumble irritably. I hate the dress anyway. If I never have to wear the damn thing again, fine by me. I fling it into a corner, and slip into my pajamas as elegantly as I can manage.

"You mind sharing the bed?" I ask Kat, who was busy distracting herself with her phone.

"What? No, no, I'll take the floor," she protests, shooting up.

"Eh, fuck that. I can't be bothered getting an extra duvet, and it's a queen size bed anyway,"

I raise an eyebrow, hazarding an attempt at a grin.

"Unless you're worried I might molest you," I waggle my fingers for extra effect.

A badly supressed chuckle is her reaction.

"Fine fine, whatever. But I get to be the big spoon," she jokes back.

With that, the two of us settle down to sleep. But as tired as I am, I find it hard to drift off. Memories of Ashley haunt me, and I can't stop thinking of what Kat said.

Why do this? Why?

Sleep is a long time in coming.

END OF THREAD

@Jaye@Riuma@Anomaly@Grey@The Fuzz@PixelWitch@Shmuel

Next Thread Starts Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread