• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy PHANTASMA: SCHOOL OF THE STRANGE

So however many points they've put into a skill, if you knock all out you win. That's kinda odd. Never had a roleplay like that before.

Yup. Oh, and you can use 'inappropriate' cliches to fight against another cliche.

Let's take John again. John wants to punch out this kid, (who I will call Robert). John will attempt to punch out Robert. But, Robert will not go against John in the Boxing (5) cliche, or a fighting one and instead uses his Ballroom Dancing (5) against it.

This has the potential of taking out MORE dice from John, (or Robert if he is so unfortunate), than an appropriate cliche dealing with fighting.

But yeah, imagine the cliches as HP count, if it helps you.

Wait what? Inappropriate? How does all that work, because boxing and ballroom dancing are totally different. Are you talking about weakening them in a different set for later?

That's what inappropriate cliches tend to be used, to weaken an appropriate cliche REALLY, REALLY badly, and because (typically) you aren't comparable in a similar appropriate cliche.

The one who started the encounter (John in our hypothetical), determines what cliches are appropriate by starting it. He choose boxing, because he wanted to punch out Robert. Robert, can't fight and has no skills in that, but he can dance, and as such used an inappropriate cliche to battle in this encounter.

There the risk of using inappropriate cliches, more damage that can happen to you if you lose. But if you win, you can deal more damage to the opponent's dice pool.

So even with different cliches, you can still knock an opponent down to 0 dice if you get higher scores than them and completely beat them in that specific set so they they have less to use in later confrontations?

Yup! All that matters is that you get them down to 0 to win the confrontation.

Though some don't require you to knock down all the dice pools, but you totally can.

Yo, Mecha here again with another facet of Risus. The 'Team Up' Roll.

Now this is exactly what it says, you can help other PCs boost up a roll. To do this, the 'Team Leader' (aka the person who is being boosted.) must be declared, and is the Person with the Highest Cliche in the area.

So let's take John, who is say fighting a Horrible Monster with a lot of dice in their cliche.

Other PCs can team up on his roll and add more dice.

The other PCs roll 2d6, and if they get a 6, it is added onto John's score.

Oohhh..that makes sense. So you take a big risk in doing that. Sorry I'm replying so slow. I'm busy spriting haha

Yeah, it can be a risk, but it can be quite handy to do. Well if you get the right roll that is. And don't worry about it.

Hello, from Mecha! So I've been discussing with ComradeSenpai, on doing a Field Trip. A fun and exciting adventure, where you will be pushed to the limits! May the Dice Gods show mercy upon you...

So, before that, any interested folks, would probably want to get a Character Sheet in.

Ah yes, gotta think up something fun! Oh, yes finding out exactly what you feel like playing, can be tricky at times. I fully understand.

*Blows some dust from the Crypt, and carries a dim lantern, while navigating* "Ah good eeevening boils and ghouls! 'tis I, MechaGhoul, the CRYPT-KEEPER. Yesss... from the tomes of time, let us re-cap some general things here."

Cliches: These are what your character is good at. It can be many things, like punching people, being sneaky and anything your heart can imagine. The MAXIMUM CAP OF POINTS TO STUFF IN A CLICHE IS FIVE, for Faculty/Students.

These points, correspond to dice, which determines how good of a job you did with your cliche, and the results are used against Skill Checks, and fighting against other opponents.

AKA Points = Amount of six-sided dice (d6) you roll for a cliche

Example: Ronald has three points (3d6) in Free-style Rapping. As such when he is using his RAP SKILLS, he rolls 3d6 (three six sided dice) to determine how good his performance was. He may either be using it for a skill check, which could be, say distracting a guard on patrol.

In the guard distracting scenario, let's say the target number is ten. So, Ronald rolls his 3d6, and hopes he gets above ten.

If the number 3d6 produces is equal to or above the target number, he succeeds and distracts the guard.

If the number 3d6 produces is below the target number, he fails the skill check and does not distract the guard.

Let's say Ronald isn't the only music man in town. No, his rival Billy is a Country Star and he has 3d6 in Country Music.

If they were to compete in a MUSIC BATTLE, they'd each roll their 3d6 and hope they got the higher number.

The losing party would have a dice knocked off, and only have 2d6 for the next round.

They'd continue until no dice was left in that category. (Or if things were super-duper serious, in ALL categories...)

Anyway, now that was a bit of an example of how the cliches are used. 'But Mecha, oh Crypt-keeper! I need guidance on how to create my student and or faculty? I can play both right?' That's right Individual I made up to ask that question!

You can play a Student and a Faculty Member. (Only one of each.)

Character generation is simple for both of them.

For a student, you have 12 points to put in cliches.

For a faculty, you have 20 points to put in cliches.

And remember, your max cap in a single cliche, is 5 for -both- student and faculty characters.

Anyway, hope that was a simple re-cap of the system and such. Can explain more if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back