• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Personan Rhapsody Campaign (Closed)

Other
Here
[Continuation from DMS]

The shadow took a moment to reveal herself. Her head popped back down through the trees as Kaaru made his proposal, and she looked beyond angry. "You-you come in here, you break my toys, and you want to stop playing?!" She asked, shaking with rage. "You're not even toys yourself at this point! You're bullies!" The shadow yelled. The woods around them shifted, a single path opening up.

"NO!" She yelled again, making her stance incredibly clear. "No, we're settling this now if you're so eager to quit the game! I'll see you at the top, you jerks!" She pulled herself back up into the canopy of trees, easily jumping through them as the forest returned to silence. The fog was getting heavier, but they could smell something distinct from the path that had opened up.

Campfire smoke.

While Souta was catching his breath, he heard Kaaru try to negotiate with their enemy. He tried to object, but that just caused the strain on himself to increase. They couldn't just go back now... they had come so far, and there was someone who was in danger! The request was already made though.

Fortunately, or perhaps more unfortunately, the Shadow didn't agree to it. Instead, the opposite happened. A path way didn't open which led them back to the beginning, but instead further ahead. The scent of smoky firewood wafted down the way.

The black-haired boy finally managed to catch his breath, standing up straight. "Looks like we can finally finish this," he said with an eager smile. "We'll have the person safe and sound in no time!"

"Tch." Kaaru clicked his tongue at the shadow's response. "Seems I really can't catch a break..." He said under his breath. More to himself than anyone else. He had miscalculated tremendously. Not only was their way out now completely gone, but he had angered the shadow. They were, in simple terms, incredibly fucked.

He looked over to his companion, trying not to let the smile he saw get to him. Kaaru knew this was his own fault and none of it should fall on Souta, but he couldn't help but feel angry. Nothing about their situation was worth smiling about. "How-!" The redhead paused, realizing that he had started to shout. He grit his teeth and let out a deep, unsteady, breath. Then started again with a quieter less-angry tone. Though it was still far from pleasant. "How can you say that? Do you not know how bad this is?"

He turned away from Souta, studying his own wrist. The pasty skin was starting to take on purple and blue hues. Using it was going to hurt like a bitch, but he might be able to manage a few swings. He would have to.

"Look...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten us into this mess."

Souta blinked as the other raised his voice. His brow furrowed, and he got ready to raise his own as well, but when Kaaru continued calmly, Souta's defensive anger also subsided. Yeah, it looked bad, but it just seemed better to focus on the positives. His anxiety about the situation was barely being held at bay by the relief and satisfaction that he anticipated from rescuing whoever was trapped here. On top of that, it wasn't like they had any other choice but to continue forward.

When the other turned away, he peered over his shoulder, wincing silently at the redhead's wrist. Despite the mental strain it had put on him last time, Souta quickly summoned his Persona to cast a healing spell on the other. He wasn't sure how far the healing magic would go, but hopefully it would alleviate some of the pain from the wrist. The fiery bard casted a healing spell on Souta as well before disappearing. The headache was minimal from the short time that his Persona was active.

Souta shook his head with a smile at the apology. "I knew what I was getting into, Senpai," he responded. "We don't have any choice but to keep going forward. Let's focus on the positives. We're almost done."

Kaaru heaved a sigh of relief as he felt warmth wash over his body. The scratches on his arms faded to nothing in moments. He opened and closed his injured hand, carefully rolling his wrist. He could still feel a pinch whenever he moved it too much or too suddenly, but it was infinitely better than before. In fact, everything felt better, looser even. He hadn't even realized how hard he had been tensing his shoulders until now.

"Thanks. I know you've got to be tired, but that really helps," He said. With post-cure clarity kicking in, his expression and body language grew visibly less stiff. That healing skill was really amazing. Even if it hadn't healed him all the way, the instant relief was sure something one could get addicted to if they weren't careful.

"You're right. Sorry about losing it there for a moment. You're acting more like a Senpai than I am," Kaaru gave a timid laugh. He certainly wasn't living up to Senpai standards.

He continued to balance his sword with one hand, its point only just breaking the dirt's surface, while he pulled up his menu with the other. He'd lost a couple points in both dex and con from the removal of his jacket. He gave a glance to the piece of cloth on the ground, it being nothing but ashes harboring a few black and orange scraps. He'd have to buy another one for next time. Maybe one...more fireproof. He didn't blame Souta. The action had saved his life after all.

His HP was midway between a half and three-quarters. Not optimal for the final boss, but not horrible either. And his SP was at about half. Fortunately, his only skill was health based. His only SP cost being actually summoning and maintaining his persona. "I'm...alright. How are you doing? It can't be great. You looked like you were about to pass out after last fight," Kaaru said, wearing a look of concern.

Souta gave a nod. "I'm happy to help." He couldn't help but let out a chuckle at Kaaru's next words, though. "Truthfully, I'm quaking in my boots," he said. And if the other hadn't quickly calmed down earlier, he was sure they would have gotten into a yelling match that Souta wouldn't have given up on. The other was giving him too much credit, he felt, but he'd take the praise this time. "We all have our moments. Supporting each other in those are what companions are for." Now he was talking like Tachibana. Even if his friends were far away, a part of them would always be with him, it seemed.

Upon seeing the other pull up his stats, Souta wondered if another healing spell was in order. Once he pulled up his own, he realized it would probably be best to save it. His SP was down to a third. His HP was almost full, but he obviously couldn't take hits as well as Kaaru, so it may not have been the best measure of survival. "I'm okay," he said, despite the story his stats told. "Do you have any healing items? Or things for SP recovery?" Souta wasn't the best with maintaining stock. He kept what he could find on the field, but he never really went to the market for anything aside from armor and weapons. Unfortunately, the last time he played, he had gone through a tough quest that required him to deplete much of his recovery items. All that were really left were status cures, buffing items, and single spell items.

"Get that cheesy line from a self-help book?" He quipped, letting out a chuckle. Though he joked, the smile on his face suggested that he took it to heart.

He glanced over at Souta's stats when he pulled them up. His HP was doing relatively fine, but his SP was dipping rather low, just as Kaaru thought. He scratched his cheek as he pulled up his inventory, searching for anything that might help out. "I haven't really had a chance to stock up since your area...I used most of my healing items there, and SP ones are pretty rare. You mainly get them from these side quests which I...obviously haven't been doing. At least in a way the game expects."

"Looks like I do have a couple of lesser HP regen potions on me."
Kaaru scrolled until he came upon the potions in question, summoning one by tapping on the item name. Then handed it to Souta. The shimmering green liquid sloshed around as he passed it over. "It's not much and the regen is really slow. Plus the taste is like...really really bad, but it's better than nothing," he said with a shrug before continuing to scroll his item menu. There were a bunch of monster parts and crafting materials, but not much they could use at the moment.

"Well besides that...I did get an item from your place. Not sure how useful it'll be now, but I did mean to give it to you earlier." He tapped the words on the holographic screen and a photograph materialized in his hand almost instantly. He didn't glance at it before handing it over, but he'd be lying if he said he hadn't looked at it previously.

Souta let out a snort. "No, it was from my friend back in my old town," he said, "but maybe he got it from one."

He gave a nod as his expression turned serious once again. So aside from not being able to do this from the comfort of a computer chair in their homes, they would be missing out on items. Seemed like things were stacked against them in more ways than one.

His eyes fell on the regen potion the other held out. He grimaced a bit at the warning Kaaru gave, deciding to stow it in his own inventory until it might be needed in the upcoming boss fight. The black-haired boy blinked when his senpai presented him with a photograph. Upon taking ahold of it and peering at the image, his eyes widened.

"This is..." It was the last picture he and his friends had taken before he moved. There were three boys, including Souta, and one girl. "The game... really gave you this...?" As far as he knew, it hadn't even ever been put onto a polaroid. All the copies were digital. "How...?"

He was silent for a moment before stepping besides Kaaru and holding it out for both of them to see. "That's him," he said, pointing to one of the other boys, a brunet with glasses. "The friend who would say the cheesy things. His name is Tachibana, Tachibana Satoshi." He pointed to the other boy, saying, "thats-" before stopping, seemingly remembering where exactly they were. "... nevermind. I can tell you about them later. We've got work to do right now." He put the picture in his pocket, already feeling some of his mental fortitude coming back to him. "... thank you for that, Senpai."

"Yeah, it dropped when I defeated the boss. It was glowing, so I figured it was important and took it." Had that been the right decision? The brief silence was making Kaaru feel like he probably shouldn't have touched it. That was until Souta freely showed him the picture. He smiled as he looked at the photograph. They all looked so happy, including Souta. He had also started to forget where they were before the boy mentioned something. "Right. I'll hold you to that," he said with a smile. If they were going to keep doing this, it would be nice to learn more about his companion. And from Souta's words and expression, he could tell that this photograph was important.

"Well, I think we're as ready as we're gonna get." He heaved his sword over his shoulder with one hand before beginning to walk towards the only path they had available. "Stay close, I think the fog got a bit thicker?" Did it get thicker? It was possible, but there was also a high probability that his eyes were playing tricks on him. With the darkness and fog, the low-visibility made it really easy to see things that weren't there.

"I'm not very good at tactics, so I say we just keep going as we have been. I go first, get the enemy's attention. And you attack when you see an opening? Try to only use your persona when you really need it."

Souta gave a nod, starting to walk along with the other as well. "Maybe..." he commented. Part of him wondered if this was actually just smoke. The whole place smelled faintly of a campfire. The air around them wasn't suffocating, though, so his theory probably wasn't true. Either way, he kept his eye on his senpai's silhouette as he stayed in close proximity to the other. His grip on his spear once again tightened as he peered around the dark mist, trying to remain vigilant for any sign of... well, anything. They were close to the end, but they were also on their last legs. A surprise attack would spell doom for them.

"Sure, that works for me," Souta said. If they had time and became more familiar with their abilities as well as what they were going up against, a strategy would have been a better approach, but the black-haired boy was well-aware they were scrambling around on hunches. What Kaaru said would probably be the most of a plan they could come up with. Souta just hoped that their opponent would be vulnerable to physical attacks, unlike the living tree they had fought. Ideally, the only time he would need his Persona would be for healing purposes.

The clearing at the top of the mountain opened up before them, to what would be a calm sight if not for two things. It was a crackling campfire and a small tent, overlooking the woods, which had been on an uphill slant. It was an almost peaceful place, the eye in the centre of the storm.

Or it would be, if not for the two figures on it.

One was familiar to both of them, and one was only familiar to Kaaru. The shadow stood over a lookalike girl-the girl who the palace had formed around. She was older than her shadow, about 15, and fairly roughed up. Her hair was a bubblegum pink and her eyes were wide and fearful as she cowered away from the creature in front of her. "Pl-please..." She whimpered, as the forest spirit curled it's fists.

"Don't you want this, Ika?" The shadow asked, gesturing towards the approaching boys. "Didn't you want to be childish again? Play in the woods, abandon technology, have friends who won't ever leave you for acting like a daydreamy little kid? Because that's what I want! That's what you want, Ika! After all, you're me! No matter what you're calling yourself-Bug, Ichika, whatever, you can't ignore that we're the same!"

"I don't-" Bug struggled to her feet, panting slightly. She'd clearly put up a fight with how roughed up she appeared, her hair pin long gone and her school uniform torn and covered in dirt. She wiped blood from her nose, before choking out her next sentence. "Let me... Let me out..! You're not... You're not me!"

The shadow tightened it's fists, and turned away from the girl, who collapsed again to her knees. "Ugh, fighting with yourself is so annoying-she's as stubborn as me!" It complained, starting to morph into something far uglier as it stared down the boys. Multiple legs, an exoskeleton... like a mutated, humanoid insect. Bug's shadow truly lived up to her name in that moment. "I'll just have to break you two, then-teach her a lesson in gratefulness!"

Bright blue eyes glanced over their surroundings before settling on the familiar pink-haired girl and her smaller shadow. Normally he'd love to take in the beautiful scenery, watch as the light from the campfire made the shadows dance along the cream tent, but there was no time for that. He scowled as the argument in front of him played out. It looked like the girl had put up quite the fight; Her sorry state reminding him of himself all those months ago.

"Don't worry. We're gonna get you out of here," Kaaru said to the collapsed girl, hoping to reassure her. His voice was laced with confidence, though he certainly didn't feel that way. Especially as the shadow morphed in front of him. The snapping, the way the legs bent, everything about it had started to make him sick. His grip tightened around the hilt of his blade, knuckles turning a pale white. He had never had a problem with bugs, but he knew that he'd be having nightmares about this for weeks.

"I'm not gonna let you do that," he said in response to the shadow, teeth grit into a tense smile.

"Warrior." He called out quietly. While maintaining his persona while actively fighting would be a bit difficult, hopefully the passive crit rate that his persona gave him would turn the tides of the battle. They would surely need it. The large armored being hovered at the edge of the battlefield, watching and waiting for more commands as Kaaru made his way towards the oversized insect. The exoskeleton looked hard, not unlike bark of their previous enemy. So he made a split second deicision to swing his blade at a few of the being's numerous legs. Hoping that he could perhaps reduce its mobility, even if only by a bit.

"Let me tell you. You're probably the ugliest thing I've ever seen," Kaaru taunted, voice strained as he put weight into his swing.

Although she didn't look as young as her Shadow, the girl who they were meant to rescue looked a lot younger than he did. And yet, with the scrapes and bruises on her, he could tell she had been braver than he had when he was in her situation. It brought up a bit of shame in him, but now wasn't the time for self-criticism.

They didn't even have to say a single word to her before the Shadow started transforming. She still had her fighting spirit in her, it seemed. That being said, upon seeing the insectoid form that little girl took, Souta's was diminishing. He let out a whimper. Small bugs never bothered him as long as they weren't too close, but the sight of big ones... well, his trembling legs and slight lightheadedness were physical symptoms of the result.

His dark eyes fell on Kaaru as the redhead took back the role of leader. His assurances to the girl were so confident, they seemed to quell the fear in Souta as well, at least a little. Despite his words earlier, his senpai had started with a strategic approach: striking at their opponents' legs to hinder mobility. It was a smart decision in Souta's eyes, but the follow up of taunting it with insults didn't seem to be. Maybe it was a diversion, Souta theorized. If so, he wouldn't let it go to waste. He took the opportunity to jab the creepy crawly in what he assumed was its abdomen with his spear. If its exoskeleton was anything like the bark of their tree foe from earlier, the attack wouldn't do much. He hoped that wouldn't be the case. He didn't want to become a liability by overexerting himself from extended use of his Persona.

"You bullies!" The shadow cried, as Kaaru and Souta attacked. The leg came cleanly off, even if Souta's attack did very little, and the shadow stumbled. It attacked as it cried out, slamming one of it's other legs into Kaaru to knock him to the side. "You're awful! Awful!!" It claimed as it attacked, trying to toss around and crush the two boys attacking it. It's exoskeleton held against weaponry, at least, and Souta hadn't managed to get the sword into the soft part of it's underbelly with that swing.

Bug struggled to her feet again, her ears ringing, her eyes watering from the pain in her body. She was definitely concussed, and watched the fight play out with a sense of deep fear. She'd made this worse, she figured. She'd sent that... that awful caricature of her worst thought, her worst wants, into this rage. But she kept on her feet this time, despite how much her head hurt. She should figure out a way to help. She had to.

"Us, bullies? Have you seen your prisoner?" Kaaru retorted as his sword slid through the joint with little effort, severing a singular leg from the monster. He remembered how the poor pink haired girl looked; Bruised, battered, upset. If there was a bully in this situation, it would be the thing right in front of him.

He glared at the beast as he pulled his sword up to block, elbows up, the large obisidan sword covering his side. The naturally armored leg hit the flat of the blade with a loud clang. He held for a moment, but his wrist gave too soon, an electric-like pain shooting through it. The force sent him sliding to the side, the noise of boots grinding across loose pebbles and sand harsh. But the attack wasn't over. The creature thrashed around and the redhead found himself stumbling backwards to dodge an incoming leg. That, combined with the momentum from the previous hit, caused him to lose his balance.

Kaaru dropped his sword as he fell, just narrowly managing to dodge another leg as he lurched his torso forward and to the side. His bad hand slammed against the ground, but he felt nothing as adrenaline rushed through him. It felt like he was in a stampede. He scrambled for his sword, managing to just wrap his fingers around the hilt before a leg smacked into him, tossing him to the side.

He grunted as he hit the ground, his side stinging from the hit. But he couldn't falter for long. "Warrior, go!" Kaaru said aloud as he attempted to regain his footing. His persona lunged forward with its large steel blade, attempting to pierce the soft bit that Kaaru had caught a glimpse of while on the ground. Even if it didn't hit, it would hopefully distract the thing long enough for the short amount of time the boy needed to stand.

It wasn't working. His attacks weren't doing any damage. Thankfully, Kaaru's attack had at least taken off a leg. Their opponent had many more to stand on, though. If only his own weapon was made for slashing as opposed to stabbing. Now wasn't the time for thinking about what-ifs, though. Souta was quickly reminded of that when he was knocked back by the insect's thrashing. Unlike his senpai, who managed to hold out for a bit, he was sent flying. It seemingly took him longer to recover as well, as the redhead was already back on his feet and continuing his attack by the time he got up.

He stumbled a bit once back on his feet. As pathetic as it was, that blow had taken out a good chunk of his already relatively meager HP. This would certainly count as an emergency, right?

"Bard..." he called out. His Persona appeared behind him and engulfed him in a soothing green light. Souta's black eyes fell on Kaaru as well and the same light engulfed the redhead for a moment. He let out a breath, allowing the Persona to fade. Now that he felt more stable, he thought for a moment. Perhaps they should reverse the roles.

"W-we're gonna squash you like the bug you are!" he called out, immediately regretting his lame words after. "You think we're bullies?! Well, who wouldn't be when you're that ugly and gross!" Although his quips were falling short when compared to his senpai, he hoped the Shadow would take the bait.

Souta had to be given a bit of credit-the shadow fell for the bait. Then again, he'd said something far closer to bullying than the shadow would have liked. It turned it's attention to him, it's distorted face contorting into a rabid expression. "You... You..!" It moved to attack him in a blind rage, but missed, seeming to lose focus as it was pushed farther and farther into it's childlike fit.

"Why won't you two just die!? You awful toys, you awful playmates!" It cried out, as it moved to attack again, exposing the soft spot properly, just as Kaaru's attack struck. It didn't get another chance to attack Souta, as it had to move back, crying out in pain, loud enough Bug had to cover her ears. "Now-now you two have done it!! You--!" It crashed down from the insectoid legs, but didn't morph back yet. It wasn't done putting up a fight, even if it was significantly hurt by the attack to it's underbelly.

No, it had another trick or two up it's sleeve as it attacked once more, sending a gust of sharp, magical wind directly at the two after falling.

The redhead would be lying if he said Souta's bold words didn't almost stop his heart. He didn't want to think about what might have happened if his persona's attack had missed. Fortunately, he didn't have to worry about that. The steel blade pierced right into the insectoid's soft underbelly. It fell, and the horrible screech that proceeded it was deafening. He grimaced as his ears rang and a hand moved to cover one to dull the pain.

A mistake. No matter how badly his attack had hurt the insectoid, it wasn't down for the count yet. Before he could do anything, a large and visibly sharp gust of wind slammed into him just as one of his hands left the hilt. The mid section of the attack was blocked by the flat of the blade, but the top and bottom cut right into him.

He gasped in surprise as a pain cut into his shoulder and lower abdomen, a warm wetness already beginning to soak into the skintight top that he wore. He was forced back by the powerful gust, his head and back slamming into a nearby tree. A metallic taste danced on his tongue as he slid down against the tree, slowly falling into a sitting position. His arm went limp, sword dropping to his side as his vision blurred and he felt like he was going to vomit.

His persona had long since began to flicker and sizzle, nothing but empty air now residing where it once was.

Souta's words had enraged it, and it seemed solely focused on him. Nice! The Shadow swiped at him, its movements becoming careless with rage, and Souta was able to dodge. Great! His senpai was able to use the opportunity to strike its underside, and the insectoid was now on the ground prone. Wonderful!

"We've got the advantage here!" the black-haired boy said, turning to Kaaru. "Why don't we-" Before he could finish, he noticed something from the corner of his eye. His head snapped back to face the giant bug, and he caught sight of the blast of wind that was coming their way. With wide dark eyes, he tried his best to parry it. While he was able to sidestep a good portion of the attack, some of the gust hit his side, leaving slashes as if he was being cut by a thousand small knives.

Souta let out a hiss, wincing as he reached over to cover his wound. His gaze then searched for the redhead, and he couldn't help but let out a gasp upon seeing the state he had ended up in. The boy quickly ran over, the coins lining the waistband of his dancer's pants jingling as he moved.

"H-hey! Get up! C'mon!" he pleaded in a panicked voice, shaking the other's shoulder. He quickly pulled his hand back as he felt a wetness on it, looking down to see the crimson that now stained his palm. His gaze returned to Kaaru, and his eyes widened upon seeing a dark spot not only on his shoulder, but also on his abdomen as well. From the corner of his eye, Souta could see his senpai's Persona flicker. "Shit..." There was no way he could do this alone.

He let out a sigh, calling upon his own Persona once more. As it appeared, he felt a slight headache. He knew this would be pushing his limits, but he wasn't going to let Kaaru die. He mustered what mental fortitude he had remaining to have Bard cast another healing spell on Kaaru, doubling over and letting out a pained groan as the headache sharpened.

And yet... after a moment, he felt... better. His head still hurt, but it wasn't the unbearable pounding it was a moment ago. And with every passing second, it seemed to become less and less painful. How could that... he instinctively reached into his pocket and pulled out the polaroid Kaaru had given him before the fight. Yes. This was it. Somehow, he just knew. He let out a small chuckle. If Tachibana was in his place, he would have probably made a comment about how his friends gave him power or something. How cheesy. Instead, Souta elected to just turn to Kaaru and extend a hand.

"Come on. We can do this. I got your back!"

The redhead felt his whole world shake and muffled words made their way to his ears, sounding as if he was underwater. He slowly blinked his eyes open, his eyelids heavy. Everything was blurry and spinning. "Uugh..." he groaned, the nausea he felt overwhelming. A cough escaped his lips as he powered through it, trying to remember where he was. His eyes landed on a figure half-bathed in black. A demon...? Was he in hell? He sighed as he let his eyes fall closed again. At least the demon was attra-

A familiar warmth spread over him like a heated blanket and his eyes shot open. The scenery became clearer and the sharp pain of his wounds began to dull, if only slightly. The one whom he thought was a demon shifted into his companion. "Ishida...?" He questioned, clearly still out of it, forgetting any sort of honorifics. He looked at their surroundings, at the crumpled insectoid, at the poor girl covered in injuries, then back to Souta. Right, they were in a battle.

He pulled himself together the best he could, taking Souta's hand to help himself up. He was wobbly and still clearly hurt, but at least he was standing now. "Sorry about that..." Kaaru said, voice gruff as if he'd just woken up. He coughed into his hand, expelling some of the blood from before. Damn he had hit his head hard. All because he hadn't been ready, for one crucial second. Why was he always making these kind of mistakes?

He pulled up his sword, standing ready for whatever else might come at them. He looked to his companion, noticing that the boy had some sort of renewed vigor, really wishing he could steal some of that. "Alright, let's end this."

"You both need to die-you all need to die! All three of you! I am the true self, and I will be the true self!" The shadow practically screamed, trying to stumble back to it's feet, but to no avail with it's broken legs and drained energy. As it geared up another attack, another strike on the boys, it had evidently forgotten about the fourth person in the area. "Go to he-" It choked, being cut off by a blow to the back of the head.

Bug had gotten to her feet, and with the help of a tree branch almost as tall as she was, she'd delivered the final blow. She let her arms drop, panting slightly as it collapsed to the ground entirely. "Is it... is it dead..?" She asked, voice small. Her eyes darted between the two boys and the shadow on the ground. Was it over? Could she go home?

The look in her eyes was one of horror as it turned back into the childish figure it had been during their stint in the woods. She dropped the branch, hands going to cover her mouth. No, no, no... Why wasn't it dead? Why wouldn't it leave her alone?? She backed up away from it as the shadow struggled to it's feet, moving nearer to the boys, and ducking behind them as she fearfully watched the shadow. "Why won't it go away..?!"

Kaaru wobbled as he took a step, putting himself between Souta and the shadow as it prepared another attack. He held his sword with as much strength as he could, which wasn't saying much. The muscles in his arms were screaming, telling him to put the heavy sword down, but he couldn't. Not yet, not while they-...

His thoughts cut off as he heard a loud crack. The insectoid paused, stuck in its attack formation for a moment before crumpling into itself.

A fake? Kaaru thought at first. He held his breath, trying to be prepared for anything until it began to bubble black and purple hues. The bubbles shrunk and promptly disappeared, revealing the shadow's former, much less grotesque, self.

It was over. They had defeated it. He expelled the breath he was holding. The absolute relief that washed over him making him want to cry. He looked up at the girl with bubblegum hair, and laughed as he processed what happened. "Nice shot." He said before she dropped the branch.

He watched as the girl hid behind him and slowly, gently, put a hand on her shoulder. He still loosely held his sword in the other, not bothering to sheathe it just yet. "It's okay. It can't hurt you anymore." He said, voice quiet, calm. For once, he actually felt like the senpai he was. "It won't go away until you tell it how you really feel. Speak directly from the heart. Then you can go home."

"H-how I really..." Bug stammered. She didn't want to talk to that... thing, and she most definitely didn't want to admit how she really felt to it. Especially not with people here. Tears brimmed up in her eyes as Kaaru put a hand on her shoulder, and she rubbed them away as she turned her head to her shadow, which had stood. She stepped away from the boys, forcing herself to move towards her shadow.

"S-so..." Bug choked, as she stared the shadow down. "Fine. Fine. I'll say it. On some level I do want this. I do want to have people around who won't leave me for being childish, or daydreamy, or whatever. And I don't want to live in this stupid city anymore." She choked. "I hate it! I hate everything about it-but I still want to go home..! Things could be so much better and I want them to be better, but not like this! I want to have friends and I don't want to be in a city all the time but not like this..!"

As she forced back tears, the shadow approached her, tilting it's head at her. A hand reached for hers, and the shadow changed again in a burst of light. Her eyes opened wider, and as the former shadow-now a cloaked, nonhuman creature, with the same insectoid wings as before, but now significantly less grotesque-approached, she didn't have it in her to back up.

"Thank you, Ichika..." It smiled, reaching a hand out to her. "I am thou, thou art I..."

Bug didn't even have words for her now persona, just nodding at it before it disappeared. She would have turned to the other two, and ask what the actual hell was going on, if she could leave, what had just happened... but she just sunk to her knees. Oh, she was dizzy. Really dizzy. She needed to leave, to get out of here, but she felt like she was about to black out, now.

Kaaru's renewed determination brought a smile to Souta's face. Unfortunately, it did the exact opposite to their insectoid nemesis. Although it was in a weakened state, it still had the energy to throw a tantrum. It looked to be gearing up for another attack, in response to which Souta raised his spear, taking a defensive stance.

When his senpai stepped in front of him, Souta gratefully prepared to call for his Persona for some more recovery. Before any blow was dealt though, the creature seemed to pause midsentence before falling over onto the ground. The black-haired boy blinked, his eyes eventually fell on the girl that now stood behind it and the large branch that she held. He maintained a defensive stance for a little longer as his eyes returned to their foe, but he relaxed once the Shadow faded back to its original form.

"Well, that was anticli-" Before he could finish, concerned words came from the girl's mouth. As the girl moved closer and Kaaru explained what was happening, he gave her a reassuring look. He watched her confront her inner demons, sympathizing with the embarrassment and fear he knew she would be feeling. Once the Shadow disappeared and her Persona revealed herself, he let out a relieved sigh. "Don't worry. We went through-" His words of comfort had to once again be cut short as the girl fell.

Souta made his way over to her and did his best to help her back to her feet. "Yeah... going through that takes a lot out of you, for some reason," he commented with a small smile. "The worst is over now, though. We can get out of here. Do you remember where you came in from?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back