Experiences People who take RP far too seriously

I suppose I could elaborate on mine, even if I don't think it's as bad as some of these. There was a guy I RP'd with who if you made a single typo he deemed you a bad role player. Thing is he would complain but never leave, just put you down for making a typo, no matter what the reason and usually it was because I'm almost certain my autocorrect hates me and is a demon from hell. Jokes aside my autocorrect has a habit of changing were to we're for whatever reason even though nothing is spelled wrong and we're wouldn't fit the sentence.

He would take great offense to this and accuse me of not caring about my craft, that I was an awful role player...but then he wouldn't leave. In fact, he would get pissy if I didn't reply. At some point, I actually thought his berating may have been a joke because why else would someone tear into you like that and keep roleplaying with you? At some point, I decided that even if it was a joke...which it wasn't I wasn't going to deal with the constant lectures over something that wasn't that big a deal and wasn't even my fault.

Edit

Holy fuckin hell I've never seen such a list on the site

View attachment 654432

I think there was more people who viewed Idea’s follower appreciation thread when it was first made then that. Like, I think that had sixty some people or something viewing it at most. Not saying that this being the most about of people you’ve seen viewing a thread isn’t valid, just adding on.

Anyways, because Alt is absolutely right and we should try to stick to the topic better, I don’t think I’ve really seen anyone like this around here beyond that one guy who was very extreme on no typos in that one other thread in this subforum. I guess if we were to roll back time a little, there was this one roleplay group thing back on MonkeyQuest who went as far as regular in-game meetings for a Warriors thing. That probably doesn’t sound like much, but keep in mind that the regulars to that forum didn’t really have a consistency regarding time zones.

I had a friend who RPed with a woman who would send her a private message EVERY DAY asking her when she would post.

My friend and I were 16 at the time. This woman was 27 then. There was smut.

I am now 27, and I am concerned about that entire period of my life online....

Last edited:
I had a friend who RPed with a woman who would send her a private message EVERY DAY asking her when she would post.

Fbi open up!

But jokes aside that's...disturbing. I remember when I was younger there was a guy who wanted to give me private RP lessons I declined because I already knew how to RP but he sent me a PM anyway, turns out the lessons were of the smut variety. He called it roleplaying completely meaning when you fade to black instead of it being understood that things happened you went to a PM and finished up and he was going to "teach me" the different kinds of complete RP styles.

I had no chill at that age, so there was cursing, there were threads made and there were screenshots posted...because fuck that dude.

Last edited:
Fbi open up!

But jokes aside that's...disturbing. I remember when I was younger there was a guy who wanted to give me private RP lessons I declined because I already knew how to RP but he sent me a PM anyway, turns out the lessons were of the smut variety. He called it roleplaying completely meaning when you fade to black instead of it being understood that things happened you went to a PM and finished up and he was going to "teach me" the different kinds of complete RP styles.

I had no chill at that age, so there was cursing, there were threads made and there were screenshots posted...because fuck that dude.

Fbi open up!

I won't say the name of the site, or the fandom, or the media in particular, but...

Once upon a time, on a certain site I used to frequent quite often before it imploded and became a shell of it's former self in a hurry...

There was a certain sub-forum on said site dedicated to this once popular piece of media, and there were certain people who took on the roles of some characters, role-playing them... Naturally, for a variety of reasons (gonna keep this super vague, as any clue could essentially give away the who's and what's) some were better RPers than others and some were spot on in their portrayals while others were not...

Now, I participated in this (after a particular episode in a particular time in my life, I related very much to this one character... who was already similar to me in certain fashions...) and joined the RPers. It was quite an experience, and a good one at first! One of the most popular and well loved of them with a kinda "real" love story of their own in the group (though looking back, perhaps they were over-hyped) took a shine to me almost day one and eventually most of the rest of them did as well...! All was so new and great--

Until it wasn't...

This super popular RPer was only ok with role-players... So long as other role-players NEVER role-played the canon character said person was portraying.

Any other RPer of that specific character in that forum was shunned and reminded of a much better RPer (said popular RPer) instantly (and, of course, this person's friends would troll and harass them out of their RPing account and the forum as long as they were around) even if they were new to the forum and didn't know of this almighty role-player, vilifying ANYONE who called them out when they were doing so (and this person not only was a fantastic manipulator, but also had A LOT of side accounts on this site and had no qualms pretending to be an entirely different person to defend themself, so you can imagine the super popular RPer got A LOT of people on their side and against whoever was calling out right quick), and though it took a while, I finally saw how toxic this person really was. Far too late, near a year into the friendship, was when I severed ties and got quite a lot of backlash from "mutual friends" (yesmen) of said person (all of them saying how awful I was to cut ties and I was just jealous because they were better looking than I was... Even though I never posted a photo of myself on that site ever, at least, publically...) , but you live and you learn.

I have only ever met one other person who took RPing as seriously as that ex-friend did and is just as toxic...

Sadly, they are from this site.

And thus, I don't feel comfortable talking about it or them, because:

I feel it would spread unnecessary drama, and it's in the past now.

I just added my two cents because sometimes it's nice to get it all out.

I also have some amazing experiences (and the best of the best of my experience changed my life for the better so much it's indescribable!) that I will never ever forget, or take for granted.

I actually want to thank both those toxic people, because they led me, in their own twisted way, to the best and greatest happiness of my life.

Last edited:
I won't say the name of the site, or the fandom, or the media in particular, but...

Once upon a time, on a certain site I used to frequent quite often before it imploded and became a shell of it's former self in a hurry...

There was a certain sub-forum on said site dedicated to this once popular piece of media, and there were certain people who took on the roles of some characters, role-playing them... Naturally, for a variety of reasons (gonna keep this super vague, as any clue could essentially give away the who's and what's) some were better RPers than others and some were spot on in their portrayals while others were not...

Now, I participated in this (after a particular episode in a particular time in my life, I related very much to this one character... who was already similar to me in certain fashions...) and joined the RPers. It was quite an experience, and a good one at first! One of the most popular and well loved of them with a kinda "real" love story of their own in the group (though looking back, perhaps they were over-hyped) took a shine to me almost day one and eventually most of the rest of them did as well...! All was so new and great--

Until it wasn't...

This super popular RPer was only ok with role-players... So long as other role-players NEVER role-played the canon character said person was portraying.

Any other RPer of that specific character in that forum was shunned and reminded of a much better RPer (said popular RPer) instantly (and, of course, this person's friends would troll and harass them out of their RPing account and the forum as long as they were around) even if they were new to the forum and didn't know of this almighty role-player, vilifying ANYONE who called them out when they were doing so (and this person not only was a fantastic manipulator, but also had A LOT of side accounts on this site and had no qualms pretending to be an entirely different person to defend themself, so you can imagine the super popular RPer got A LOT of people on their side and against whoever was calling out right quick), and though it took a while, I finally saw how toxic this person really was. Far too late, near a year into the friendship, was when I severed ties and got quite a lot of backlash from "mutual friends" (yesmen) of said person (all of them saying how awful I was to cut ties and I was just jealous because they were better looking than I was... Even though I never posted a photo of myself on that site ever, at least, publically...) , but you live and you learn.

I have only ever met one other person who took RPing as seriously as that ex-friend did and is just as toxic...

Sadly, they are from this site.

And thus, I don't feel comfortable talking about it or them, because:

I feel it would spread unnecessary drama, and it's in the past now.

I just added my two cents because sometimes it's nice to get it all out.

I also have some amazing experiences (and the best of the best of my experience changed my life for the better so much it's indescribable!) that I will never ever forget, or take for granted.

I actually want to thank both those toxic people, because they led me, in their own twisted way, to the best and greatest happiness of my life.

So...what is this RP dictatorship?

So...what is this RP dictatorship?

Heh, I'm a little actually extremely dense, so I'm afraid I'm not sure I 100% understand your question: Are you asking what site this was on or more details into just how seriously this person (gonna call them Ex) took their role?

Heh, I'm a little actually extremely dense, so I'm afraid I'm not sure I 100% understand your question: Are you asking what site this was on or more details into just how seriously this person (gonna call them Ex) took their role?
Well it was kind of rhetorical question I was saying that's what it sounded like, but if you would like to go into more detail about how seriously they took it I won't oppose you.

Well it was kind of rhetorical question I was saying that's what it sounded like, but if you would like to go into more detail about how seriously they took it I won't oppose you.

OH!!!!

OH Lordy lou, YES IT TOTALLY WAS A DICTATORSHIP (and thinking back, I think someone did compare Ex to one at some point... )!

I am SO SORRY, I am not the brightest bulb (and you can instantly tell why I was dumb enough to stick with Ex for kinda almost a year x.x)!

OH!!!!

OH Lordy lou, YES IT TOTALLY WAS A DICTATORSHIP (and thinking back, I think someone did compare Ex to one at some point... )!

I am SO SORRY, I am not the brightest bulb (and you can instantly tell why I was dumb enough to stick with Ex for kinda almost a year x.x)!
Nah you're good. It happens.

I've had several instances of the 'I need to roleplay for my happiness' types. I even had a flat out suicide threat if I stopped RPing with someone who wouldn't stop breaking my rules. Particularly trying to tell me how my characters should act, trying to control them and attempting to push romance/smut. I got a lot of flack from her friends for blocking them after sending them some helpline numbers.

I also had to deal with self inserts. The ones who are trying to escape reality to the point they put themselves in and expect to be treated better than they feel they are IRL. One person tried to tell me my character had no right to be mad about their character because they had some mental disorder. They had it too, and my character "was acting like their dad whenever they messed up! They didn't need this for real and in RP! He has to be nicer." FYI, their character destroyed my character's home right after they met. And had given no reason to trust them yet.

I've also had the people that try to gain control over characters, races, settings and such other people make by throwing in science. I don't mind a creative discussion over using real life as inspiration for fiction. But these people selectively try to remove any room for creativity with their 'hardcore science.' They can have a character with a magic death ray, but then try to argue why a race someone else makes can't have features of bird, mammal, and lizards. Or they try to tell someone how they should play a character with a dark past based on a psychology video they watched once.

• Partner posts starter, with the preface: "WARNING: LONG STARTER"
  • Don't particularly mind, so I read through
  • Good god, they were not kidding
  • Instead of starting where our characters are supposed to meet, partner thought it necessary to describe where their character worked, the customers they interacted with, their walk from work to home, them feeding their dog, making dinner, eating it, and watching Rick and Morty before going to bed. Then they described him waking up, having a shower and taking his dog for a walk.
  • All tell. No show. "X did this, then he did that".
  • Still, I write a couple paragraphs describing my character walking down the street, how he looked kind of shabby, and his surprise at partner's dog jumping on him and knocking him over.
  • "What the fuck?!" writes partner, ooc. "I said LITERATE!!!!!"
  • "Excuse me?" I reply
  • "Write more or I'm moving on!"
  • Being a pushover, I write a few more details about my character's clothes, how he was living on his own and how his gloves were wearing out
  • "Still not long enough, but I'll let it slide."
  • My post is close to 300 words just to describe a dude walking down the street, almost half a page. I'd say that's plenty.
  • Partner sends another big long reply. This time they describe the dog, the dog's whole fucking backstory, How his character thought mine was soooo hot, etc and how he was suuuper sorry for knocking me over.
  • I reply with my character getting to his feet, brushing himself off, then telling him sternly to control his dog.
  • "I TOLD YOU TO WRITE LONGER!!!"
  • "I just wrote everything he did. There literally isn't anything more I can add here."
  • “D E S C R I B E! Haven’t you read a book before? You can’t write for shit. I want at least five paragraphs!”
  • Bitch, I am halfway through a bachelor's degree in English literature. I know for a fact that I can write circles around this kid.
  • I also know that there's no way I'm going to spend FIVE paragraphs describing my dude GETTING OFF THE FUCKING GROUND
  • I leave.
  • I guess partner was pretty young since they had a quantity > quality mindset but this whole situation was still suuper annoying.

LMAO I've been there. Had someone that I told from the beginning I wasn't writing several paragraphs if a scene didn't call for it. I then later told them that frankly I wasn't feeling the RP, because they were doing what you described and going off on mental tangents that actually had me having to fight to stay involved in the RP. They insisted they could tone it down and we were fine for awhile. And then they started whining they really needed longer posts. When our characters were talking. In a room. The same room. For awhile. In a pretty heated arguement. So I admit this wasn't nice. But I got all smart A** and copy and pasted the description of the room for every post before writing the real reply.

It actually took a few replies for them to catch on. . . . . . I honestly felt then like the whole long post was just a mind game at that point.[/QUOTE]

I may have lied. I do recall a story of someone that took things pretty seriously. Granted it wasn't necessarily RP specifically but more the social aspect of being writing partners.

It started with closed species on another website. My character and hers ended up roleplaying together and they began a romantic relationship. We were chatting every day ooc and, naturally, became friends. Over time we started sharing details about our personal lives--standard stuff--but it very quickly changed from an equal give and take relationship to her incessantly complaining about the struggles of her life. Any time I'd have a rough day and wanted to complain it would be "well I'M dealing with ___" rather than any actual sympathy. On top of that she began to get incredibly possessive of me and my time... if I wasn't writing or chatting with her then she'd begin to freak out. It escalated from simply complaining to threatening suicide and "becoming suicidal" when I wasn't there to talk her down.

Ahhh it took such a toll on my own mental health. I was staying up into the wee hours of the morning to accommodate her timezone/online schedule so I could talk with her almost all of her day, hardly getting any sleep, anxious all the time, dreading going online... oh man, it was wretched. On top of that our characters and their relationship was always sort of... idk. My character had to give up a lot of be with him and had a lot of internal struggle going on but her character was never very affectionate with mine. If you weren't explicitly told then you might not even know they were together so I wasn't getting major enjoyment from that either.

We tried talking things through but things got worse if anything and in the end I basically had a breakdown and couldn't handle it anymore so I just dropped the friendship entirely. Don't think I went online for months after I finally did it, and when I did.... it wasn't on that site any more. I still feel residual anxiety any time I see her username pop up in the few places where we both still sometimes go online. Glad to see she's still alive and carrying on, but boy was that a toxic friendship.

I may have lied. I do recall a story of someone that took things pretty seriously. Granted it wasn't necessarily RP specifically but more the social aspect of being writing partners.

It started with closed species on another website. My character and hers ended up roleplaying together and they began a romantic relationship. We were chatting every day ooc and, naturally, became friends. Over time we started sharing details about our personal lives--standard stuff--but it very quickly changed from an equal give and take relationship to her incessantly complaining about the struggles of her life. Any time I'd have a rough day and wanted to complain it would be "well I'M dealing with ___" rather than any actual sympathy. On top of that she began to get incredibly possessive of me and my time... if I wasn't writing or chatting with her then she'd begin to freak out. It escalated from simply complaining to threatening suicide and "becoming suicidal" when I wasn't there to talk her down.

Ahhh it took such a toll on my own mental health. I was staying up into the wee hours of the morning to accommodate her timezone/online schedule so I could talk with her almost all of her day, hardly getting any sleep, anxious all the time, dreading going online... oh man, it was wretched. On top of that our characters and their relationship was always sort of... idk. My character had to give up a lot of be with him and had a lot of internal struggle going on but her character was never very affectionate with mine. If you weren't explicitly told then you might not even know they were together so I wasn't getting major enjoyment from that either.

We tried talking things through but things got worse if anything and in the end I basically had a breakdown and couldn't handle it anymore so I just dropped the friendship entirely. Don't think I went online for months after I finally did it, and when I did.... it wasn't on that site any more. I still feel residual anxiety any time I see her username pop up in the few places where we both still sometimes go online. Glad to see she's still alive and carrying on, but boy was that a toxic friendship.
Reading this made me even feel in a way. I'm sorry you went through that.

Sorry to hear you had to go through that. I had to deal with that IRL. The whole starting off equal then basically them thinking they were the center of my entire life. Trying to turn me from my interests to theirs. Acting like I should always help them financially and drop everything to do things with them. And not getting into personal aspects of my life but my family was literally dealing with a disaster that made us unsure of our future living arrangements. They literally tried to act like it was messing with them that they couldn't come over to my house and use the internet and have somewhere they didn't have to listen to their parents 'nag' them. BTW, they are an adult, living with family that barely makes them pay bills. I finally 'officially' ended the friendship once my family was settled because they drove me so insane with stress I hated who I was around them. It got from me giving them constant advise and reassurance to being blunt about their unrealistic view on finances, other people's time, etc. to feeling like I was always yelling at them. And the more hostile I got the more they seemed to cling to me. It was both toxic and rather creepy.

T Tove
Thanks, it was a rough time in my life for sure. Taught me some things though and I like to think I grew stronger because of it. Just had to get through the breakdowns first xD

CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters
Oof, that definitely sounds terrible. Especially when it comes to not acknowledging your struggles and then being demanding even after a disaster??? Like that would be bad enough online with them not being near you IRL, but for them to act that way even though they were physically there is just... stupefying to me.

I had a similarly terrible friend IRL at the same time as well (high school was so horrible for me LOL). I would get incredibly sick to my stomach when my anxiety got bad and so I missed a lot of school. This IRL friend was similarly toxic (only wanted to talk about her problems, didn't care about mine, invited me to stuff purely for the sake of entertaining her/suiting her). I'd drop everything to be there for her as much as humanly possible, though my anxiety did get in the way sometimes. In my case, however, I didn't get to the point where I was strong enough to push her away. Instead, after I was home sick for a week once, I returned to school and she just stopped talking to me entirely 🤷‍♀️ While I'd been gone she'd started hanging out with this other girl and I guess decided that I wasn't "Available" enough for her taste so instead of telling me anything she just... stopped acknowledging me entirely and acted like that was totally normal and fine lol.

She'd pulled me away from other, better, friends too because she'd get insecure and jealous if I spent time with them ("You like them better than me, don't you?" etc. etc.) so to keep her from being upset I told them the situation and ended up getting cut off from them for the duration of this "friendship."

Fortunately, after this whole fiasco, my other friends had no issues with me hanging out with them again more regularly. It all happened around the same time as this online friend, though, so my confidence in friendships was pretty shot. I retreated from everything at that point, stopped doing extra-curricular stuff... it was bad.

I've moved back and forth for university so I'm not in touch with any of them any more, but I definitely know what to look out for now when it comes to friendships that might be unhealthy. Really unpleasant lesson to learn but at least things are good now!

T Tove
Thanks, it was a rough time in my life for sure. Taught me some things though and I like to think I grew stronger because of it. Just had to get through the breakdowns first xD

CecilDMMasters CecilDMMasters
Oof, that definitely sounds terrible. Especially when it comes to not acknowledging your struggles and then being demanding even after a disaster??? Like that would be bad enough online with them not being near you IRL, but for them to act that way even though they were physically there is just... stupefying to me.

I had a similarly terrible friend IRL at the same time as well (high school was so horrible for me LOL). I would get incredibly sick to my stomach when my anxiety got bad and so I missed a lot of school. This IRL friend was similarly toxic (only wanted to talk about her problems, didn't care about mine, invited me to stuff purely for the sake of entertaining her/suiting her). I'd drop everything to be there for her as much as humanly possible, though my anxiety did get in the way sometimes. In my case, however, I didn't get to the point where I was strong enough to push her away. Instead, after I was home sick for a week once, I returned to school and she just stopped talking to me entirely 🤷‍♀️ While I'd been gone she'd started hanging out with this other girl and I guess decided that I wasn't "Available" enough for her taste so instead of telling me anything she just... stopped acknowledging me entirely and acted like that was totally normal and fine lol.

She'd pulled me away from other, better, friends too because she'd get insecure and jealous if I spent time with them ("You like them better than me, don't you?" etc. etc.) so to keep her from being upset I told them the situation and ended up getting cut off from them for the duration of this "friendship."

Fortunately, after this whole fiasco, my other friends had no issues with me hanging out with them again more regularly. It all happened around the same time as this online friend, though, so my confidence in friendships was pretty shot. I retreated from everything at that point, stopped doing extra-curricular stuff... it was bad.

I've moved back and forth for university so I'm not in touch with any of them any more, but I definitely know what to look out for now when it comes to friendships that might be unhealthy. Really unpleasant lesson to learn but at least things are good now!

Toxic people will destroy a lot. Other relationships, your outlook on relationships, everything. They try to mold people into their own little bubble like a parasite. I actually realized at one point I was basing a psychic vampire off this person.

The jealously, that one made me feel so stupid. LMAO. After I was rid of them I realized their was so many warning signs early on. I remembered the first 'fight' we had. They were at my house and were picking on my cat. They wanted to hold her and well, the cat was like 'NO". Even in my nicer days you did NOT mess with my cats! Happy cat happy home. I told them quit it or get out. I didn't want my cat not feeling safe in her own home. They sat down looking hurt then after awhile were like . . . "Who do you like better? Me or a cat?" Like, seriously. Jealous over a cat. My reply seemed to make them go quiet for the rest of the movie. If I was smart I would have quit hanging with them before the jealously moved to my family.

I've become a lot less kind after my bad friend experiences. Being sure not to let people break any boundaries I set up. You get a lot less friends but the ones you get are a lot better.

If I were to expand from "crazy people rp experiences" to "crazy people who rp," then we as staff have a long list of grievances of our own...
I might....be interested in that list.
We do not speak of these things. They are like demons who are summoned when mentioned.

- Onto the subject -

One experience that comes to mind was back on my deviantArt chat rp days. I generally do not rp with furry characters because I've only had negative experiences regarding them. While this person thankfully never pushed for explicit content things with them were very weird.

Their character was a furry and mine was not. Didn't matter I just wanted a good plot and so we wrote, and wrote, and it kinda went slowly nowhere except towards awkward forced romance from his character. Not a big deal (I was still new to the online rp game okay. Not something I'd endure at all now.). OOC we'd chat and I have a habit of using emojis in OOC because otherwise (and many who talk to me can confirm) I come off as blunt. I feel using emojis takes off that tone a bit. This drove them absolutely nuts that I used emojis OOC. Over time with the rp really boring me and OOC attempts in trying to discuss how to work things out IC and getting weird replies back I started replying with short and short OOC reponses.

OOC they were being so weird. They'd ask me for romantic advice. Fine. Strange, uncomfortable, but fine. Next moment rant at me for using an emoji and not writing them an entire paragraph reply to some question that didn't need anything more than a yes/no answer. Next OOC they write weird flirty things, ask me to swap to Skype for a voice chat. I don't say no because what harm is there in a voice chat?

I hate Skype and let me tell you why. It's a bitch to log out depending on your OS (at least when I used it). I would be in the middle of class and he'd call me ON SKYPE. Even set to invisible he'd try over and over. He'd get pissy when I wouldn't answer.

Eventually I got fed up and snapped at him because I was done with the creepy flirting stuff, the constant calling over skype, constant DMs in various places where he knew I had an account. I found out then he apparently thought I was his god damn internet girlfriend because he read the IC stuff as 'fact' to how I felt regarding him. His character wasn't his 'character' it was his fursona and ergo it was him and thus anything my character did was therefore a reflection of me personally IRL and my regards towards him.

Even me flatly telling him that isn't the truth he'd still insist it was. I had to block him everywhere. It took literally six months for him to finally leave me alone entirely.

I've heard worse than this, but it's certainly one of the worse roleplay experiences I've had.
---
Rewind to 2009, I am a senior in high school, trying to get myself together for graduation and applying to college. I had been roleplaying as a hobby for years and even then I did as a means to destress. During this time I had an encounter with someone we'll call 'Len.' So, Len was a little younger than me, perhaps by a year or two, but that didn't bother me. She seemed enthusiastic to write with me which is always a plus for me. We settled on a fandom roleplay, we showed each other our characters and began to write with each other. Everything started out swimmingly until the roleplay began to grow one-sided. Her character became the centre of attention, she had a great relationship with the main cast, even the standoff-ish ones. I didn't let it bother me too much until she established that her character was powerful enough to combat death more than once, defeat the main villains who were after her for her "Mary Sue" power and whatnot. At this point I began to distance myself from the roleplay, I had become busy with school at this point anyway, so it was a good excuse as to why I couldn't roleplay with her much. Len started to re-send her messages to me when I didn't respond, it started off with two to four times and evolved into something much more monstrous. I asked her kindly to please stop, that I would respond to her when I could, but I was busy with school work and couldn't respond as often as before. She would say "Okay," making me think everything was resolved. However, she continued to do this, in addition to pinging me every hour through instant messaging about roleplay.

I was a little firmer this time in telling her she needed to calm down. Again, she agreed, but it didn't stop. My inbox would be filled with messages and my notifications for IM were out of control. Out of frustration, I blocked her on both and I thought the worse was over until I received a message on my second email asking "Why did you block me?"I asked how did she get the email. It turns out she plopped my original email into google, did some digging until she found my other address. I confronted her, but she said she wanted to apologise for her bad behaviour and wanted us to write together again because she missed me. I was uncertain but she promised to behave and back then I was such a softy. I relented and unblocked her. Man, was I an idiot or what? The same nonsense started up days later, I would have to mute my phone because it was blasting with notifications. I confronted her about her behaviour again, she said she couldn't help it, she was bored and I was all she had. I told her that wasn't an excuse and once again she promised to behave. This situation continued to spiral out of control, she started to send me messages everywhere and I couldn't keep up with blocking her because I'd had it. The worst of the worst was when she sent me a message screaming and yelling about me abandoning her, saying that I was a word that rhymes with glitch and all other names. Safe to say I took down all of my information off of the net, made sure to block her everywhere and change my email. I never heard from her again after that.

We do not speak of these things. They are like demons who are summoned when mentioned.

- Onto the subject -

One experience that comes to mind was back on my deviantArt chat rp days. I generally do not rp with furry characters because I've only had negative experiences regarding them. While this person thankfully never pushed for explicit content things with them were very weird.

Their character was a furry and mine was not. Didn't matter I just wanted a good plot and so we wrote, and wrote, and it kinda went slowly nowhere except towards awkward forced romance from his character. Not a big deal (I was still new to the online rp game okay. Not something I'd endure at all now.). OOC we'd chat and I have a habit of using emojis in OOC because otherwise (and many who talk to me can confirm) I come off as blunt. I feel using emojis takes off that tone a bit. This drove them absolutely nuts that I used emojis OOC. Over time with the rp really boring me and OOC attempts in trying to discuss how to work things out IC and getting weird replies back I started replying with short and short OOC reponses.

OOC they were being so weird. They'd ask me for romantic advice. Fine. Strange, uncomfortable, but fine. Next moment rant at me for using an emoji and not writing them an entire paragraph reply to some question that didn't need anything more than a yes/no answer. Next OOC they write weird flirty things, ask me to swap to Skype for a voice chat. I don't say no because what harm is there in a voice chat?

I hate Skype and let me tell you why. It's a bitch to log out depending on your OS (at least when I used it). I would be in the middle of class and he'd call me ON SKYPE. Even set to invisible he'd try over and over. He'd get pissy when I wouldn't answer.

Eventually I got fed up and snapped at him because I was done with the creepy flirting stuff, the constant calling over skype, constant DMs in various places where he knew I had an account. I found out then he apparently thought I was his god damn internet girlfriend because he read the IC stuff as 'fact' to how I felt regarding him. His character wasn't his 'character' it was his fursona and ergo it was him and thus anything my character did was therefore a reflection of me personally IRL and my regards towards him.

Even me flatly telling him that isn't the truth he'd still insist it was. I had to block him everywhere. It took literally six months for him to finally leave me alone entirely.
Nooooo Fyuri, lol. It's folks like that that give furs a bad name >_> so sorry you had to go through that.

If RP = Reality, I'd be somehow simultaneously be a soldier-like alien from another dimension, a nerdy, logical survivor of severe abuse, a robotic ship which has had the power of emotion granted upon her, a sassy, racist dragon, and a literal demon from the depths of Hell who takes pleasure from possessing people and manipulating them into doing horrible things to their friends & allies.

I'm not 100% sure... But I don't think I'm any of those things. I may need to check again though.

- Onto the subject -

DeviantArt is quite a mess at times. I can't completely complain as I got some good online friends on there, but I've about gave up looking for new roleplay partners on their. It seems every few months a new batch of crazy emotionally damaged toxic perfs gets turned loose. I've had so many replies this year to start RPs that don't go anywhere before warning bells go off. It almost killed my will to RP.

As a good friend online warned, sometimes people you role play with can get unrealistically attached to you. It can be really creepy and makes you wonder how these people live that they think someone has nothing else in life other than the computer. Glad they finally left you alone.

People like this are a reason I flat out say no self inserts. When RPing people pretending to be themselves take it way to far. They tend to go from RPing to build a character and world to trying to live a second life. And many tend to have this dream that someday you will actually meet. Had a couple of times people say stuff like "Wish I could visit" "I wish I could move out from where I'm at. If only I had a friend like you nearby." "I would be so grateful if someone would send me a bus ticket to their house I would be their slave and make their life so much better."

I am not even telling you the city I live in. DOn't even try it.

I've had people tend to get a bit to nosy. Asking about my lifestyle, where I live, marriage status, sexuality's. And if I say something about myself they don't like they get offended. Had one person I was chatting with get upset thinking I had a daughter when they misunderstood me saying it would be a bit I had to go feed my baby "furchild" or the RP wasn't happening. Then they kind of ghosted me after I had to shut down the odd anti cat rant they went on. Because somehow a cat on the other side of the screen I guess affected their allergies? Seriously people, I will never brush my cats and mail you the fur and dander. You can still RP with me if you are allergic.

Had an RP end when the person took up a different lifestyle that didn't fit my characters and I wouldn't change the RP for them. Or change things in my own life to suit them.

The internet is so full of crazies. In the end just got to let people go. Even if it takes six months. And then base a villain off the crazy person.

Nooooo Fyuri, lol. It's folks like that that give furs a bad name >_> so sorry you had to go through that.

If RP = Reality, I'd be somehow simultaneously be a soldier-like alien from another dimension, a nerdy, logical survivor of severe abuse, a robotic ship which has had the power of emotion granted upon her, a sassy, racist dragon, and a literal demon from the depths of Hell who takes pleasure from possessing people and manipulating them into doing horrible things to their friends & allies.

I'm not 100% sure... But I don't think I'm any of those things. I may need to check again though.

LMAO You sound like me arguing with someone when they ask about my opinions on things based on what my characters say! Seriously, I hate the idea that characters = the writer. If that was true books would be so boring with every character in it the same!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back