Experiences People who take RP far too seriously

Wow, this story was a riot. I laughed so loud I hope I didn't wake anyone up.

I have one good story, of a friend who played in a Mutants and Masterminds campaign years ago. Nice guy, still a good friend, but probably once of the most inconsistent and insane RPers ever.

I was still new, so I made the mistake of allowing him to have Spatial Control as a power in a superhero campaign (I know, I know). He chose to play this bizarre Punisher-type character who would spare child molesters and kill drug dealers for selling pot. I still never got it. There was a fight with him and the party against this girl who could change size, and even after she told him that she was only stealing to save her mother from dying he still tried to shoot her leg off with a shotgun. Thankfully he rolled a 1, no joke.

But the crowning moment was later on, when the party was trying to stop a psychic villain who had taken over a train of hostages. Aware that they were mind-controlled innocents, he opted to teleport every single one he saw outside the moving train rather than try and incapacitate them. They hit the outside like cheddar on a cheese grater, horrible way to go.

Needless to say, he was swiftly arrested and went on the run, but the campaign fell apart soon after.

Strange times, I'll say for sure. 😂
This doesn't sound like people taking it far too seriously but it does sound hilarious 😆

Gonna be toxic and call out a RP that's in progress right now. There's one up in the group section that has a literal job application to join. It also has a three week probation period where you have to hangout in the discord OOC and (more or less) pass a friendship test. After you get vibe-checked for 21 days you earn the right to submit a character. Also has "mandatory fun" group chat gatherings that have to be attended or you get kicked if the rules are enforced as presented. Plus the characters you can make are all pre-made with only some things under your control. The actual application itself requires shit like your race & gender and you need to put an E-Signature at the end. Js they need to chill out.

If the GM of that RP sees this I'm sorry if I offend you. You seem to have a lot of work invested in the lore and the thread you have is well made. Impressive stuff no doubt, but your process for player induction and some of your rules are very overbearing. I understand that members flaking is a problem but at a certain point you need to roll the dice, accept the risk of people leaving and work around those who do. Putting up all these high entry barriers is way over the top.
It's okay that you don't like it! ^_^
We know that our way of doing things is way different, and likely
wouldn't get a ton of fans.
But, if it's any consolation, we've been around for a decade,

and really are a lot of fun and super nice, down to earth derps.
It's a tried and true method. We wouldn't still be around
doing what we do if finding the right people
through our bullshit process didn't work. *shrug*
But I appreciate your criticism! Thanks!

Edit- oh, and I wanted to clarify, not that it matters much:
But the pre-made roles are just there to get filled before the RP is open.
It does specify that once the IC is live, we will be taking OC applications too.
The 'application' does not include you PERSONAL race and gender... it's your character's.
So... hope that clears things up!

Now that I've said my piece in your thread,
I'm very sorry for the crappy situation you had on G+. I don't think
I have ever been in an RP situation anywhere near like that before.
I can't even begin to imagine!

If you ever want to join a group of great not creepy 'fascists' (jk)
you're always welcome to PM me <3
Coco Adel Coco Adel

Christ on a bike, people. This thread isn't about people taking roleplaying seriously, it's about people taking it too seriously. TOO. As in, beyond the bounds of reasonable behaviour. Can we stop getting up in other people's grills and just enjoy these stories of weirdness? Please?

Now that I've said my piece in your thread,
I'm very sorry for the crappy situation you had on G+. I don't think
I have ever been in an RP situation anywhere near like that before.
I can't even begin to imagine!

If you ever want to join a group of great not creepy 'fascists' (jk)
you're always welcome to PM me <3
Coco Adel Coco Adel
I mean I witnessed him 1st hand, but the worst I was ever at the receiving end of was a match he and I had where he kept randomly adding powers to his character specifically to combat mine which was against the rules. In this community, you could not have powers that were not on your profile and you could not update your profile in the midst of a match. If you did those powers wouldn't count or be in effect until after the current match you were in concluded on top of that you had to show proof that any powers added after the initial posting of your profile were earned through a significant amount of training and not just manifested out of thin air. of course, he ignored this.

I thankfully was never in an RP relationship with him and was not harassed by him, I did try to convince him that dropping out was not a good idea but that was it.

Last edited:
I mean I witnessed him 1st hand, but the worst I was ever at the receiving end of was a match he and I had where he kept randomly adding powers to his character specifically to combat mine which was against the rules. In this community, you could not have powers that were not on your profile and you could not update your profile in the midst of a match. If you did those powers wouldn't count or be in effect until after the current match you were in concluded on top of that you had to show proof that any powers added after the initial posting of your profile we're earned through a significant amount of training and not just manifested out of thin air. of course, he ignored this.

I thankfully was never in an RP relationship with him and was not harassed by him, I did try to convince him that dropping out was not a good idea but that was it.
Sounds like someone who just didn't like
to hear the word 'No'. Yikes. :confused:
Gotta wonder where they end up in life... Wish that mad bro the best,
because he needs it.
You dodged one hell of a bullet. You must be a Jedi!

Sounds like someone who just didn't like
to hear the word 'No'. Yikes. :confused:
Gotta wonder where they end up in life... Wish that mad bro the best,
because he needs it.
You dodged one hell of a bullet. You must be a Jedi!
I am...the one 😎

Anyway, I might PM you to see what your group is about at least.

Wow, this story was a riot. I laughed so loud I hope I didn't wake anyone up.

I have one good story, of a friend who played in a Mutants and Masterminds campaign years ago. Nice guy, still a good friend, but probably once of the most inconsistent and insane RPers ever.

I was still new, so I made the mistake of allowing him to have Spatial Control as a power in a superhero campaign (I know, I know). He chose to play this bizarre Punisher-type character who would spare child molesters and kill drug dealers for selling pot. I still never got it. There was a fight with him and the party against this girl who could change size, and even after she told him that she was only stealing to save her mother from dying he still tried to shoot her leg off with a shotgun. Thankfully he rolled a 1, no joke.

But the crowning moment was later on, when the party was trying to stop a psychic villain who had taken over a train of hostages. Aware that they were mind-controlled innocents, he opted to teleport every single one he saw outside the moving train rather than try and incapacitate them. They hit the outside like cheddar on a cheese grater, horrible way to go.

Needless to say, he was swiftly arrested and went on the run, but the campaign fell apart soon after.

Strange times, I'll say for sure. 😂
Like what the actual hell lol everything about that is so wrong but lol.

Luxura Luxura Are you the person I'm thinking of? I remember Pax Britannica on Gaia. I never did manage to save up enough gold to commission graphics from the same shop that did the main Pax thread. Ironically, I work as a graphic designer now. I'm surprised to see anyone from that group on here, PB basically INVENTED the "elite" literacy rating on Gaia!

Anyone, people who taking RPing too seriously - me. I honest to god had panic attacks and lost sleep over worrying about my popularity here on RPN and whether or not I was a good enough GM. Guys, once your RP life starts taking over your real life, you reeeeaaaaally need to log off for a week or two. Trust me on this one.

Luxura Luxura

Im sure you and a small Cadre have kept around for a while, but the number of qualified writers that don't look twice at your RP (off principle alone) is more than you know.

And if the system was flawless you wouldnt be in an interest check looking to re-boot.

All the best but your RP is being run like a HR department.

Edit

Holy fuckin hell I've never seen such a list on the site

Screenshot_20191205-145836_Samsung Internet.jpg

Holy fuckin hell I've never seen such a list on the site

I hear rumbling, I come take a look.

I can't meaningfully contribute; I treat RP with professional severity despite the irony my spicier takes lend that fact.

I don't even know if it's allowed to take about that user, but there was a literal pedophile (only found out after this occured though) who hogged basically every co-GM spot in the old hosted projects by taking on a ridiculous amount of work. They then made a really overpowered edgelord with a short fuse in a Soul Eater roleplay and insisted on beating down anyone who antagonized him IC AT ALL. And after I told him I don't mind losing fights but I'm not gonna let him literally violate my character without permission for a bit of banter he threatened to drop his GM duties and to get the project unhosted.

So, yeah.

I don't even know if it's allowed to take about that user, but there was a literal pedophile (only found out after this occured though) who hogged basically every co-GM spot in the old hosted projects by taking on a ridiculous amount of work. They then made a really overpowered edgelord with a short fuse in a Soul Eater roleplay and insisted on beating down anyone who antagonized him IC AT ALL. And after I told him I don't mind losing fights but I'm not gonna let him literally violate my character without permission for a bit of banter he threatened to drop his GM duties and to get the project unhosted.

So, yeah.

Oh hell na, I'd have to beat his ass for this shit. Do you remember his user 😂 I've been around for an eternity & might know him.

Sksksks, someone's been naughty on their mains? I think the guy had different names, I knew him as Pariah.

That name's vaguely familiar. I think I might've been in a couple things with him but who knows. It's been years & nah I promise I've been good 😂. Quit for a very long time & forgot password, linked email was a school one that got deactivated after graduation so I just made a new account.

Jet Jet

Oh! Well, since you mentioned it,
the reason we're in the interest check is because we just moved here from
another site. So, we wanted to invite some new people to join us before
we get down to work. ;)

But, listen... I'm not a Pokemon Master. I'm not trying to catch them all...
I'm just trying to catch the best. And if all I get is one new player,
Well that's just fine too. <3

And, hey man; Thanks for the shout out.
Stay humble ✌

welian welian
I'm going to PM you,
I don't want to be disrespectful to the thread owner by starting a new topic,
you know? :3

Jet Jet

Oh! Well, since you mentioned it,
the reason we're in the interest check is because we just moved here from
another site. So, we wanted to invite some new people to join us before
we get down to work. ;)

But, listen... I'm not a Pokemon Master. I'm not trying to catch them all...
I'm just trying to catch the best. And if all I get is one new player,
Well, that's just fine too. <3

And, hey man; Thanks for the shout out.
Stay humble ✌
That moment when you have the perfect reaction video on standby but you're not gonna post it because you don't want to be an instigator outside of RP. 😂

Friendly mod reminder: Stay on topic.

Thread is about Experiences with People who take roleplaying too seriously.

People who go off on tangents should start their own threads or PMs. Likewise, remain respectful of fellow members, this will serve as your reminder prior to a warning.

personal input on the topicThankfully, I haven't had any such experiences, but that's probably because I actively seek more casual style RPs. The horror stories I've heard though are beyond my comprehension. As a mod, I must inform those who have such experiences on RPN to contact staff. Regardless of how well RPN and the forum's systems work to block and distance someone from another, a lot of times it isn't enough. There are numerous things behind the scenes that we have done (and still have to do keep doing and changing) to stop crazier people. If I were to expand from "crazy people rp experiences" to "crazy people who rp," then we as staff have a long list of grievances of our own...

Friendly mod reminder: Stay on topic.

Thread is about Experiences with People who take roleplaying too seriously.

People who go off on tangents should start their own threads or PMs. Likewise, remain respectful of fellow members, this will serve as your reminder prior to a warning.

personal input on the topicThankfully, I haven't had any such experiences, but that's probably because I actively seek more casual style RPs. The horror stories I've heard though are beyond my comprehension. As a mod, I must inform those who have such experiences on RPN to contact staff. Regardless of how well RPN and the forum's systems work to block and distance someone from another, a lot of times it isn't enough. There are numerous things behind the scenes that we have done (and still have to do keep doing and changing) to stop crazier people. If I were to expand from "crazy people rp experiences" to "crazy people who rp," then we as staff have a long list of grievances of our own...
I might....be interested in that list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back