Other People of RPN! I need your help! If you're someone who had a really hard time finding your passion and/or starting it tell me about it!

AliceNWeb

Creative Endeavoring
Hey RPN'ers I'm going through a pretty difficult time in my life right now and could really use a pick-me-up. If you've found your passion and have made something out of it, when you originally thought it was impossible, I want to know about it!

Basically, I was taking some course at uni. And at some point you had to select optional subjects. I picked a subject that was from a different area than my main course, just because I thought the description sounded interesting.
And I got so much interested in that subject that I asked for permission to write my thesis on that subject despite that it wasn't a part of my course, and was even a different faculty.
Later on I found a job related to that subject. I still love it and recently got promoted there. And all because I once picked an optional subject!

Just wanted to add that before that happened I changed two different universities and courses. The first one I picked was not something I wanted to do, I went to where it was easier to enter. The second was already interesting for me but the majors I picked were not quite my thing, but I only realised that after I started to study there. Third time was the charm, and even then it was not from the start and purely by accident.

Sometimes good things happen when you least expect them. Stay strong!

Last edited:
Hello, I hope you are doing well!!

Mm I personally feel that passion for our our jobs/anything we do isn't essential, but it makes everything a whole lot better. I wouldn't want to do something I didn't have passion in and live a mundane life working till I die like an insignificant cog in the system humanity has created, so I've always searched for meaningful things to give me a sense of purpose.

At first I felt that being a soldier was an honorable job that gave me a sense of purpose and belonging, something that I'll look forward to everyday because I had a 'noble' purpose - to serve my country. So I did that, and joined the military. But then I realised my colleagues didn't share half the passion that I had for the job, and I got depressed, and long story short I quit.

I ended up doing music instead. It was a risk. Being in the military provided a stable job and income and I wouldn't have to worry about my financial status for the rest of my life, though I'd go to work feeling down everyday; and going down a completely different path that I had little to no experience in and didn't guarantee a stable income was a huge decision I had to take.
It had never even crossed my mind that being a musician was an option, since I never took the subject in school, it was just a hobby kind of thing. So I went to school again to study music professionally (am currently still doing that), and things are alright. I don't know what I'll create in the future, but I'm working on it and so far I'd say the results are satisfactory, and will continue to do as much as I can for the next few years. I'm a few years behind my peers because I started late, but I don't think it matters that much. This is something I like to do, though it's a niche market and all, but it's not impossible.

Tbh I don't think there's anything that's impossible. It might be a rare choice, might be a difficult path, the success rate might be low, but nothing's truly impossible as long as you don't defy the laws of physics. All that's left is your decision, whether you want to take that risk or not. There are opportunities everywhere, so keep a look out for them and make sure you act on them.
Chance favors the better prepared.

I hope you'll get to find your passion and chase your dreams :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back