• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Pathfinders

Mercery 7: The cool ship
GCSS: Greater Coalition of Star Systems, the federation / space UN thing
Captain Lia Singh: Captain of the Mercery 7, 49-year-old woman from Earth
Isaac Lloyd: my main character, 31-year-old male from Earth
A3-49 Delta Quadrant: eight star-systems clustered somewhat closes together. The crew of the Mercery 7 will be spending the next 5 years exploring this unmapped area.
K’lkilis: an alien species, members of the GCSS

* * *​

The Mercury 7 was a marvellous vessel of human design. It certainly wasn’t the fastest or the strongest ship in the GCSS fleet -- not by a long shot -- but it was well crafted and wholly reliable. With Captain Lia Singh at the helm and crewed by 324 able hands, the top brass back at Central had nothing but optimism for the Mercury 7 and her mission.

At 31 years old, this was hardly Officer Isaac Lloyd’s first deepspace mission. Following in his father’s footsteps, Isaac had enlisted at 19, by 25 he had received his Masters in Astrobiology from a GCSS sanctioned university back on Earth, and accepted his first assignment off-world 3 weeks before his official graduation. In the subsequent 6 years, Officer Lloyd had been around the proverbial block a few times.

This was, however, Isaac’s first mission into uncharted space. The very prospect of the impending 5-year mission filled the man with apprehension and excitement in equal measures. They’d be travelling to the A3-49 Delta Quadrant, which consisted of a cluster of eight star systems believed to be uninhabited by any native space-faring life.

In his youth, he had been mesmerized by the stories his parents would tell him about their adventures in the GCSS, and although he was far more jaded these days, Isaac was still quietly spellbound by the notion that he might be among the first humans to step foot on unexplored new planets.

Presently, Isaac was standing at a work terminal in the botanical lab. Music poured out of a nearby speaker and flooded the large atrium with the bouncing, rhythmic beats of something old and alien. A colleague had turned him onto the musical brilliance of 31st Century K’lkilis Jazz, and he’d been elated to discover that the ship’s computers had been stocked with a robust library of diverse entertainment.

Since the K’lkilis dialect was unpronounceable to human vocal system, Isaac had no hope of actually singing along (small mercy for his fellow officers -- Isaac was thoroughly tone-deaf) but he tapped his foot along to the rhythmic, lilting melody all the same, as his fingers quickly swiped and tapped at the smooth, cool surface of the terminal screen below.

7c909a8efe652d334b4ce99300cd2580.jpg

"android support systems activating." the lights illuminated revealing a huge storage area with crates, pods, vehicles, and androids. everything remained silent for another second or two before some cracky and metallic sounds echoed throughout the entire hall. yet everything remained still and motionless, accept in the android section. a few lights flickered, robotic manufacture arms started moving around. there were approximately 300 droids stored up. but only three could be activated in order to maintain the ship's security if an error would occur in the software and cause the machines to self destruct.

As programmed, three droids were brought to the front on assembly lines. the LED's on their right temple lit up a yellow color, indicating that the robots were doing a big effort to process the incoming codes and software. one by one the LED's changed to a blue color and the three droids lifted their head before looking around and scanning their environment. "AT400, what is your serial code and purpose?" the female sounding voice called in which the droid replied. " serial code #456 890 124-34, my purpose is to help the human crew on the mercury 7 and accomplish the mission." a few seconds of silence lingered in the hall. "YP300, what is your serial code and purpose?" the voice asked again. "serial code #678 123 097-78, my purpose is to help the human crew on the mercury 7 and accomplish the mission." the droid replied in a neutral-toned voice. "RK800, what is your serial code and purpose?" the voice asked the last droid. "serial code #313 248 317-51, my purpose is to help the human crew on the mercury 7 and accomplish the mission."

after the registrations and minor testing, the droids stepped off of the assembly lines and left the hall. through the corridors. they were able to navigate themself with the map and plans of the entire ship installed into their system. so getting lost was impossible for the machines.

AT400 went to the power generator of the ship while YP300 headed to the space research labs. RK800, on the other hand, made its way to the botanical research labs. each droid received information depending on their tasks on the ship. but they could easily download new information if they needed to within nanoseconds.

when RK800 or, more preferably called by the humans, Connor entered the lab, the first thing he did was scan the environment. all the machines and research tools were saved in his memory let it be their location in the room or uses. lifeforms were also present in the closed-off workspace. some seemed to listen to music while some were trying their best to ignore it. Connor walked up to the first human he saw. it scanned the male's face and tried to find his identity.

"Officer Isaac Lloyd, a pleasure to meet you. I am the droid that they probably have informed you about. I will be helping you with your research during this mission." the droid explained to the male, not knowing if he was listening or not. the voice of the droid didn't sound any different than the humans, even the walking seemed pretty normal. if you would cover the LED then there was almost no chance you could separate a droid from a human which some found creepy.

Bobbing his head along to a particularly catching refrain, Isaac was too deep in his own thoughts to notice the android approach. On hearing his name, Officer Lloyd’s head snapped up, his shoulders straightening into military attention. Once he noticed who was addressing him, he relaxed considerably.

“Oh, right. Hey, ah...” he hesitated a moment, trying to recall the designation number of the android that had been assigned to Botanical.

“RK800,” he said suddenly, the content of his last briefing rushing back to him, “You prefer Conner though, right?”

Admittedly, Isaac was ill at ease around the android. He didn’t dislike him by any stretch. As far as he was concerned, any entity, organic or otherwise, that was self-aware enough to be concerned for its own well-being deserved a baseline of respect and decency.

It was the ‘only having 3 activated at a time in case a technical error caused them all to explode’ thing that put in on edge. That seemed like a criminally negligent oversight on behalf of the engineering department, and he didn’t like it one bit.

0cafabecf69dcd99a37d355ae2a77a26.jpg

"correct, calling me Connor would make you more comfortable instead of calling me by my model number." he explained in a simple way to gain the officer's trust. "I must say that you are doing an excellent job officer. one week on this ship and the first research is 30% accomplished. though I need to advise putting just a tiny bit more effort into it if you want to get everything done on the estimated deadline." Connor then walked past the officer's desk without saying one more word.

the droid moved over to the plant growth section of the lab to check on the organisms which were provided all the needs in order to execute their photosynthesis process. one by one he started to scan them. holographic displays appeared around it which showed everything about the plant. what it was receiving or exporting. a small alert popped up saying the organisms were getting 0.2234124% less minerals than what they needed. upon seeing this, the droid lifted his hand and began changing the settings of the growth pods via the holographic display. he increased the numbers slightly to the proper amount. the popup soon enough disappeared which left Connor's program satisfied.

"corrected the input of minerals, this mistake would have slowed us down by yet another 0.8876124%." he informed Isaac when returning to his desk. "was there a specific reason for giving the organisms less of their needs?"

“If you say so, buddy,” Isaac replied to the androids comment about his name. He wondered who had assigned Conner that name int he first place. Perhaps every model came with a more human-readable alias? If that were the case, then Isaac supposed that it had likely be assigned randomly during production.

When Conner turned to the hydroponics, Isaac returned to attention back to his terminal. He didn’t take the androids adjusting, or his questions, terribly personally.

“Double check the automated recalibration system,” he instructed, “The margin of error always jumps around a little whenever we enter hyperspace.”

~0.89% was hardly an alarming deviation from the norm, but he’d record it all the same. Physics had a way of going a little sideways every time the lightfold engines were engaged. This was entirely normal, considering it was physically impossible for them to exceed the speed of light...and yet here the Mercury 7 was travelling at 900 million metres a second through a fold in space-time. All things considered, a slight blip in their hydration calculations was damn near benign.

“Well you’re there, check the error logs against our last hyperlight surge. It was sometime around 13:00 hours,” he added, knowing that a computer like Conner would be able to easily find the time down to the exact microsecond.

"I will," he said, accepting the officer's task. the holographic display appeared once again. numbers and equations moving all over the screen. statistics were calculated in a matter of seconds. the droid could do all this without the screen but showing the Officer the status of the lab could be useful. there were no major problems yet. Connor adjusted the settings of the early mentioned components or software. "only a few of the errors were effecting the research, not on a macro scale but rather minor, like the process times of the terminals which is the only serious problem. the margin of error, on the other hand, has been optimized to a total of 2% instead of 4%." the droid reported briefly.

"the next hyperspace jump will engage in 8 hours 26 minutes and 12 seconds. in order to prevent the errors from happening again, or at least a majority of them, we can shut down the systems that are not needed like watering. when the jump happens, the organisms should have received their needed amount of water 45 minutes before the event. the jump will last around 1 hour 23 minutes, which means that we will still have 30 minutes before the organisms need to be hydrated again. considering the start-up process from the shutdown system which will take 12 minutes, we will have 18 minutes to spare."

the displays vanished one by one after Connor had filed his calculations and saved them into the ship database. he decided to get to know Isaac more since they were going to work together fo 5 years. the droid began scanning the officer's facial expression, heartbeat pulses, and brain activity. "what caused you to form an interest in botanical science officer? if you don't mind me asking of course."

“Cool,” he said, “Cool, cool, cool. I’ll fire off an alert to Ensign Johjan. She can upgrade the hydroponic rotation to account for the time dilation in hyperspace.”

He was talking to himself as much as he was to the android at the terminal across from him. Nanoseconds and <0.0005% margins of error mattered a whole lot to life support and the Mercery 7’s navigation systems (after all, jump into hyperspace with your nav plan off by a mere millimetre could be the difference between materializing in the safety of empty space and materializing in the inferno of a passing star), but here in the botany lab, they were afforded a lot more wiggle-room.

Most of the plant life on this deck was, for lack of a batter word, disposable. There were stores of backup specimens from Earth, and from several other Core Worlds, safely in stasis. Most of the current specimens would be used as system-wide control-groups. When they eventually discovered alien life forms, those new specimens would be contained in parallel, self-contained systems and their progress would be monitored in comparison to the known samples currently thriving in the lab.

“Hmm?” he tilted his chin up, his brow furrowed, “It’s a family thing. Both my parents served in the GCSS. My father was in Sciences, my mother was a Marine.” he knew all of that was in his file, something he’d be surprised if Connon didn’t have rudimentary access to.

“I’m not particularly interested in Botony, though.” he continued, “I’m an exobiologist. Plants just come with the territory.”

“They’re fine though. Plants. Plants are fine. Plants are great.” he hummed, swiping through pages of readouts on the terminal, “Vertebrates are cooler, though.”

"I see." he started. "I assume that sitting here in this lab is not satisfying your curiosity for exobiology then." Connor started calculating when their next and first planetary expedition was going to be. it wouldn't be more than 3 days according to his hypothesis. "our first planetary research will execute in approximately 2 days 16 hours 36 minutes and 26 seconds if we keep up the current speed of the mercury 7."

the droid remained silent for a couple of seconds before deciding to bring up another topic to get to know his colleague better. " how does it feel to be away from the earth? you don't have a spouse or an offspring on this ship or anywhere else in general. your parents being the only humans you can call family." Connor kept looking in the officer's direction, waiting for a certain output from his mouth.

"do you miss them?" he didn't show any kind of emotion when asking the questions. he didn't show any emotion in general. even his voice had remained neutral this whole time, simply because he couldn't, he was a machine after all. how real he may look or sound, that LED on his right temple will always separate him from humans and thus also their emotions. a human would have shown a hint of their sorry and concern by lightly frowning their brows. some would feel awkward or hurt when looking at the questioned person.

“Parents, siblings, a gaggle of nieces and nephews,” he corrected Connor, “And sure, I miss them, but they’re a holo-call away.”

Family aside, Isaac was a social enough man who had already settled in fairly well with his peers aboard the Mercury 7. On top of that Isaac was serving with several familiar faces from previous missions, although none of them were in his direct department.

But Conner was right about one thing: Isaac had no spouse or children. The last partner he had, back on the Helix Station in the A-91 Cluster, had ended disastrously bad, and Isaac hadn’t been terribly inclined to try again.

Sighing, Isaac looked up from the terminal, finally giving the android his full attention. Carefully, he said, “Look, man, no offence; but you’ve got to work on your social skills, alright. Is this your first mission?” he paused, “Are you...fresh outta the factory, or whatever?”

"Correct, this is indeed my first mission. I was activated 46 minutes ago. I improve my social skills by getting to know humans and their behaviour. I am not a military or political android. I too have a limit. I can only reach your Id that is registered on this ship. Your personal information is completely useless for me. Of course I am always able to reach those files but that would be against my code. I can learn everything I need through socialization with humans. In this case, I dont have much information about you officer. I am filing every answer you give me and save it into my memory so that I can communicate with you more fluently. I won't bring up topics that may give you a bad or hurt feeling. But in order to do that I first need to know what those topics are. By scanning your blood pressure, breathing and heartbeats I can identify which questions are rather difficult for you to answer. Humans will do the very same when meeting others for the first time."

Connor didn't say much further. He wasn't waiting for an answer since he didn't ask a question in the first place. So he decided to turn to the terminal and go through the previous test results. Calculating the success rate and the general time of completion. It was all looking good. His software had nothing to complain about.

Whistling once when Conner finished his monologue, Isaac remarked, “It’s a good thing you don’t need to stop to breathe, eh?”

If the android was only 46 minutes old, Isaac supposed that accounted for a lot of things. He was surprised the androids weren’t given an off-mission test run before being sent out, but in the end, all he could do was trust in the capability of their programmers. Isaac had never been one for engineering, though he had been required to take a few psychology courses as a part of his degree. Not enough to make him an expert by any stretch. His focus had been on recognizing sentient behaviour patterns - something fairly vital for his line of work.

“46 Minutes?” he said, “They really don’t give you a lot of time to acclimatize, do they?”

"actually, I don't need to acclimatize to the new ship environment. I am programmed to be able to work under any circumstances. unlike humans, a droid doesn't need to eat or stretch when waking up in order to maintain their energy, or in my case, during the start-up process. scanning my workspace and a monthly check-up on my software will suffice. " Connor turned his head to Isaac and stared at him for a couple of seconds. "are there any other questions that you wish to ask me, officer?"

there wasn't much to do in the lab at the moment. Connor had already corrected some mistakes and accomplished a request from the officer. he is still alert though, ready to handle any unsuspected 'errors' that he may receive later. the scientists were already doing an outstanding job. the reason for the droid's presence was basically the fact that during the expedition, the tasks and the number of researches were going to stack up eventually. especially after their first planetary expedition. the crew would need his aid then.

Flashing Conner a warm enough smile, Isaac said, “Yeah, that’s not even close to what I was referring to, buddy.”

He didn’t doubt the capabilities of the android as a research assistant. Conner had a computer for a brain, after all -- logic and computations were in his very nature. But at 46 minutes old, it was no wonder his conversation skills were a little...underdeveloped.

For a few more minutes, Isaac was silent, his attention back on the terminal screen. Much of his prep-work for the Mercury 7s first planet-side mission was well in order, although his list of outstanding tasks still, somehow, felt a mile long.

Suddenly, he looked back up at Conner and asked, “Hey...do you have any sort of automated targeting system? I mean, you’re not a combat droid, but you can still physic the shit out of just about everything your sensors pick up, right?”

Obviously, Conner would have to have a full-fledged vestibular system, depth perception, and comprehensive fine motor skills, otherwise, he wouldn't be walking around with such a natural stride and posture. Unlike humans, who performed these tasks more or less automatically, AI generally relied on microsecond-fast calculations to determine, for example, the exact physical movements required to catch and throw a ball across a room.

The question was this: did Conner possession the skills Isaac desperately needed for his current side-project.

correct, I am indeed in possession of a highly advanced targeting software. catching a fly would only take a few calculations which happens in milliseconds. if you are referring to armed combat then the same is also valid there. hitting a designated target doesn't need much effort. protecting all human life on this ship is also one of my duties." the LED on Connor's right temper changed to a yellow color instead of the usual blue, indicating that he was trying his best to understand something. the droid frowned his brows in utter confusion when all his theories and processings stated a negative on the outcome.

"But I happen to fail in finding a link between the botanical research and my highly advanced targeting system. can you explain the reason for your curiosity?" this was the very first time in Connor's 50-minute life that he couldn't find the answer or outcome for a task or in this case, the reason for a previously asked question.

the droid focused on Isaac to file the explanation he was going to give. this may come in handy for Connor's conversations in the future.

“Great. That’s great, buddy.” Isaac replied, his fingers drumming excitedly at the surface of his terminal screen. His smile widened when he recognized the look of confusion on Connor’s face. That was the first instance of the android looking anything close to human -- despite his well-designed facial features.

Instead of actually answering the androids question, Isaac said:

“Unless you have a higher than standard priority alert, report to the aft mess hall on F31-B at 10:00 hours, tonight.” he paused, then added, “And ah...download the instructions for Maquul.”

Maquul was an alien game somewhat similar to billiards, except it utilized light and sound barriers instead of physical objects. If all went according to plan, Lt. Kadderson was going to owe him one hell of a tab.

Connor analyzed the behavior that took over Isaac, it didn't make any sense to him. he tried to list the events that lead to this moment hoping it would make the understanding part much easier but still the outcome was just a silly error.

he kept listening to whatever the male had to say, filing everything in the meanwhile. calculating the fastest way to get to the mess hall on F31-B. but when Connor checked for availability and safety of the room, another error resulted in the outcome which was caused by a simple rule. "androids are not allowed in the mess hall. simply because they don't have anything to do there, and also for the safety of people if one happened to self destruct." droids could indeed self destruct, but these events were very rare as the only causes were...

-when engaging a self destruct could safe the lives of others
-when instructed to.
-when a critical error occurs which could corrupt the system and self destruct on accident.
-when the droid gets 'stressed' or 'angry' and finds itself in a dangerously critical state which can be easily seen as the LED will turn red. the biggest struggles of humanoid droids are emotions. they were made so they could assist the humans, not be one. droids should never be involved in emotional or heated situations. but no one knows this, and no one cared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back