• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Pathfinder: Brennen's Bastion [closed]

Oh boy, they're back at it... grab the popcorn, folks!
I have to read the rulebook and really think but I am happy you seem to want this total greenie in your flock. I will keep an eye on what others are playing too just for some flavor- as you say
Didn't play much 5e myself, but it's not that far off - don't think you'll have much trouble adapting.
Oooooh! Now I have to really think about it.
Exactly the reason why I wanted to let you know :D
They do have some nice bonuses to them, but so does being human. You would be missing out on the free Feat as a human.
Completely ignoring the mechanical side of the race choice: the aasimar allows me to abuse a celestrial backstory...

Completely ignoring the mechanical side of the race choice: the aasimar allows me to abuse a celestrial backstory...
So, which would be better for you, Sil? A human, or an Aasimar?

Alrighty - it's late, so I'll get threads up tomorrow - let me just glance over a few things real quick before I'm leaving you folks for the night.

Just to present options: The minotaur seems totally fine to me, just in case you feel like switching or someone else wants to pick one up. Dwarven fighter sounds great, though, no need to change anything.

Would love to have you, then - also thanks for spreading the word, Sherwood!

Alrighty, what can I help you with? Paladin or cleric kobold sounds good to me, you're right that you want to avoid any strength-based weapons, though. Otherwise, you'de be really sad real quick, I'm afraid... don't feel forced to pick a healer if you don't want to, though. I like the redemption arc, so that'll work out - let me think if I can somehow add that to my background so that I can draw your character right into the mess... if you have an idea what that wickedness might have been, feel free to share.

Not forced, healing was an unintended byproduct of the paladin gunslinger idea. But without the gunslinger, I can go straight paladin and can get a bit more healing from it.

As for the wickedness, I'm thinking that I will play in the vile nature of them. Their nigh inherent hatred and anger.

That perhaps it consumed him. And he murdered his leader, his tribe, and his family before he regained himself.

Other ideas could be he killed an elven religious leader. Perhaps a cleric of Saerenrae. Perhaps one that was trying to help him. But doing so broke something in him he didn't even know he had amd he felt guilt for the first time.

But rather than being condemned, the wild kobold was given a chance at redemption as per the late clerics wishes. Perhaps who had been given a vision from the diety about the good the Kobold could do in the future.

Could also use that to play on the adoptive ancestry, to be able to learn a few other languages, as well as learning how to use the elven branched spear. Which I can use finesse with.

Also! Could have fun with the religious Kobold trying to keep an angel from doing bad things :p

Because you can't have a paladinnin the party without them being a major buzzkill to the murderhoboing. It's a class requirement.

And if Psy picks the minotaur to play, we have even more hilarity going on.

I'm working on one now, and I'll compare the dwarf I have done to the minotaur and see which one I like more.

Reasonable idea. How did you come up with it? lol

Pairpairing small char with big ones always makes for fun stuff. Such as a Kobold riding its shoulders or between their legs and stabbing stuff. Or the famed fastball special.

How are you going to justify a good alignment for it?

Simple. I was found as a calf by a friendly paladin, and taken in by their order and taught right from wrong.

So, which would be better for you, Sil? A human, or an Aasimar?
Both work for me - personally, I'd go with the aasimar to complete this group of oddballs, but that's just me.

Rex, I'll answer you tomorrow in detail, my head can't handle that tonight.

Psychie Psychie Can you link me your version of minotaurs out there? Can't find one with changing size right now, so we might be talking about two different ones - which might potentially be bad.

I have a PDF of the DnD book Savage Species. I can copy over the minotaur stuff and send it to you in a PM if you'd like.

I have a PDF of the DnD book Savage Species. I can copy over the minotaur stuff and send it to you in a PM if you'd like.
I have that PDF too. I can share it on dropbox if Sil doesn't mind giving me an email address to use.

Psychie's option allows me to just go to bed, without doing anything - so I'll go with that one. Thanks for the offer, though, Sherwood! I'm off for tonight, I'll answer stuff tomorrow.

Alrighty - got the details I need, now it's up to decide if I feel that it's too much stuff or not - results pending.

In the meantime, let me respond to Rex real quick:
I don't like the murdering of your tribe - simply because dead things rarely show up, and I like to have possible options from backgrounds.

Thus far, the local elves are planned mostly with Calistria in mind, which doesn't fit too well with the Sarenrae theme. That said, I'd prefer it if PC's don't come immediately from the local area, as in 'noone knows the Bastion itself yet' - so with that in mind, there's certainly room to locate a backstory like that in the surrounding area. Maybe a small elven enclave near the mountains of your people that got attacked by your kind, with your character killing the local priestess? After they took you in, they allowed you to stay and follow the path of redemption; now you're on your way, travelling to the Bastion to meet an old priest, long-time friend of those in the enclave, deliver a message to one of its former members, and stand against the incoming evil.

Sounds like something that could work. Do you want to be a servant of Sarenrae, or do you just want her as the starting point of your journey to then follow a different faith? If you want to go for Sarenrae, there will be opportunities in the future to do her justice. Short note: There's a few deities that don't work well together - Torag and Sarenrae, for example, which might be a problem when we have a dwarven fighter.

Short note: Sarenrae does have the cleansing power of fire as a subtheme, and her priests can summon flames to fight against the fiends. Kobolds, on the other hand, highly respect flame-spitting dragons. Maybe that's something you can use for your sudden realization of guilt - that you just killed a being that conjured flames with her bare hands? Just a random thought I just had...

Let's continue the more detailed character discussions over here:

For everyone else interested, there's still room for one or two more people - so don't shy away from coming in and asking questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back