• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Pathfinder Adventure

Aree was relieved that no one had noticed her, though it wasn't that unusual. Even when she was acting suspicious she was often overlooked. She slipped through the throngs of people, coming face to face with a large pie. Steam rose from its freshly baked crust. A powerful smell of fruit came off of it, making Aree's mouth water. It reminded her of the pies her mother had made when she was younger. Glancing around, she tried to decide what the best way to make off with something like this was. Something of that size was likely expensive, and she didn't really feel like spending money on it. Unfortunately, it looked to be hard to conceal, let alone carry, as it was as big as her head. She could try to grab it and escape down an alley but probably wouldn't get far. She backed away from the pie a bit, but continued glancing at it and the surrounding area to see if there was any viable way to steal it.

Before either the half-orc or the paladin could answer, Effenyas suddenly stepped forward, right in the direction of where they had planted multiple pies to make the passengers mouth water from their smell alone. "Excuse me for a moment", he muttered before aiming straight for the small figure he had noticed loitering around the tent for a few moments. Rather undergrown, quick on her feet and eyeing her surrounding too alerted for a usual customer. A halfling, and as it seemed one of the kind he had expected to show up in greater numbers. As quickly as possible while trying to avoid attention, the half-elf closed in. He probably wouldn't be able to catch the short woman if she ran away, but in that case she wouldn't steal in the meantime - which was a success in itself.

"You wouldn't even dare to try stealing that thing, would you?" He wasn't quite close enough to grab her shoulder, but if she had the good ears of her people, she certainly would hear his words.

Azalea
Health 12/12
Azalea

Race: Half Orc

Class: Theurge

Alignment: Neutral Good

Level 1

EXP: 0/2000?

no slide
(d20) Stats

STR: 9 -1

DEX: 12 +1

CON: 13 +1

INT: 18 +4

WIS: 17 +3

CHA: 9 -1

(shield) Skills

9 - Knowledge (Geography)

8 - Knowledge (Arcana, Religion), Survival

7 - Sense Motive

4 - Appraise, Craft, Knowledge (Engineering, Dungeenring, History, Local, Nature, Nobility, Planes), Linguistics

3 - Heal, Perception, Profession

1 - Acrobatics, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Fly, Intimidate, Ride, Slight of Hand, Stealth

-1- Climb, Swim, Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Handle Animal, Perform, Use Magic Device

» Common

» Orc

» Draconic

» Celestial

» Giant

» Abyssal

(helmet) Armor

(sword) Weapons

» Quarterstaff -1 to hit, 1d6 B damage, x2 crit
(chest) Equipment
» Backpack

» Explorer's Outfit

no slide
no slide
(bluePotion) Arcane Spells

Cantrips:

»
Acid Splash

»
Detect Magic

1st Level:

»
Charm Person x 1

»
Color Spray x 1

(redPotion) Divine Spells

Orisons:

»
Create Water

1st Level:

»
Cure Light Wounds x 1

»
Protection from Evil x 1

3cf78bfccc1c9cc2b089bfdaf3a89c45.jpg

Azalea
Theurge Girl

Azalea was about to answer when the half elf left. She swallowed a bit, hoping this wasn't a slight or... She renews her smile, a little more painted on now, facing Athaclenna. "So you're learning the sword at a church... Are you also studying divine magic?" She asked curiously, hoping to keep the conversation going rather then summon one of those long awkward pauses.

As the words of a stranger reached her ears, Aree's heart skipped a beat. She slowly turned around, all the while cursing herself for being indecisive for an extended period of time. Not too far away, she spotted a tall man with slightly pointed ears; a half elf. His stern gaze was fixed on her, and she could immediately tell that he had guessed what she had been planning. "Wh-what?" She asked nervously. "Me, steal? No, I was just, ah, admiring its perfection. Yes, that's it. My parents were great at baking, and it was just kind of making me nostalgic. Yep. I certainly wouldn't dream of stealing it. That would, ah, tarnish it, or whatever. Just looking; don't have enough money to buy such a masterful pastry." She wove her lie quickly. The nervousness in her tone likely couldn't convict her; after all, even someone who wasn't planning on stealing but was accused of it would act nervous, as they wouldn't want to be locked away. She flashed a smile, hoping to convince the man of her false good intentions.

"That's good to hear. I was worried for a moment - its perfection seemed to fascinate you quite a bit. Better stay away, just to be safe it doesn't tempt you to do something really stupid." With a friendly smile, he offers her the second, still untouched piece of the fried, somehow bread-related specialty. "Take this, if you like. Noone should stay hungry on a day like this one. Still warm, and actually quite decent for a local specialty. Bought too much of it, though, so I better share it on a day like this one, right?" Independent of her reaction, he finished his own meal with two bites. "You're not from here, I'd assume? What brought you here, baker's daughter, if not the smell of delicious pie?"

Athaclenna looks to the half orc. "No, I cannot cast such spells yet. My teachers have told me that, as my skills improve, I may be able to channel the glory of Iomedae in that way. It all depends on what my future callings lead me."

Azalea
Health 12/12
Azalea

Level 1

no slide
(d20) Stats

(shield) Skills

7 - Sense Motive

4 - Appraise, Craft, Knowledge (Engineering, Dungeenring, History, Local, Nature, Nobility, Planes), Linguistics

1 - Acrobatics, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Fly, Intimidate, Ride, Slight of Hand, Stealth

-1- Climb, Swim, Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Handle Animal, Perform, Use Magic Device

» Common

» Orc

» Draconic

» Celestial

» Giant

» Abyssal

(helmet) Armor

(sword) Weapons

(chest) Equipment
» Backpack

» Explorer's Outfit

no slide
no slide

Cantrips:

»
Acid Splash

»
Detect Magic

1st Level:

»
Charm Person x 1

»
Color Spray x 1

Orisons:

»
Create Water

1st Level:

»
Cure Light Wounds x 1

»
Protection from Evil x 1

Azalea
Theurge Girl

She raises an eyebrow quizzically. "That seems a little silly. I mean, it took me quite some time to train my self in magic. Why wouldn't you be training in it's use now in addition to your martial training rather then put it off?" She asked curious. "Wouldn't Iomedae want you to have all the tools of the trade you can to do good in her name?" She hardly noticed that the fried dough thing had either been eaten or escaped her grasp... If she had noticed she didn't notice, the idea of it using memory magic to conceal it's movements and numbers would have been an amusing though chain.

"Oh? A pleasure sir." he bowed curtly to the Dwarven man who was... quite drunk, he didn't mean to sound rude but... seemed rather sterotypical... Perhaps he was a follower of the lucky drunk? Caylidian was a favorite of adventurer's and folks who loved drink.

In the end, he had to speak to the drunken man regardless.

"I would be happy to join you once again, perhaps this time I will not be spun off my feet in our whirling hmm?" he chuckled slightly and stood up once again, checking the surroundings before he was whisked off once more by the dancing young woman...

Hmm... Seems to be a discussion over there, near the pies, a half orc... the paladin again, they seemed to be talking quite a good deal about something... Perhaps there was an inquiry to Iomedae? Goodness knows once you get one of them talking they will never stop, worldly good, righteousness, driving back evil. So many faiths in such a small town... how fascinating, what drove them here... the temple is for Desnans, followers of the goddess of freedom and travel...

Or perhaps...

...Oh dear...

This... seemed...

Like the start of a story...

"...Oh bother..." he lowered his hat over his eyes, hoping beyond hope this day goes well.

@Psychie @Dicer

Aree let out a small, inaudible sigh of relief when the half elf accepted her lie. Getting turned over to the authorities today had not been on her list of things to do. She perked up considerably when he proffered a piece of fried food to her. It was likely a sort of bribe to keep her away from the pie, but she was perfectly fine with that. After all, it was free food, which she had been after in the first place. Reaching out to take it, she was a little surprised that the grease covered handout was still warm. She took a small bite, and a real smile spread across her face. "Thanks, this is really good!" She exclaimed, looking up at the man, and then decided that it wouldn't hurt to answer his questions. "What brought me here? What brings everyone to a festival! The promise of so many things to do and see is irresistible! Who wouldn't come to a festival? If you're asking why I'm in this town to begin with, though, the answer is this: I love to travel, and it was just my luck to be around when the festival was announced. I decided to stick around to see it. What about you?"

Renna lets out an exaggerated sigh. "Well, I suppose I can go easy on you on the dance floor. So far, you have been a good sport and fun partner, so I can give you some slack." She smiles at the elf to show she is being silly.

"Well, I came here more or less by accident, and decided it couldn't hurt to look at what they spent their spare money on. Quite an impressive building, though I don't know the old one to compare both. Glad to meet another traveller, the road has always been a good friend to return to for me." He nodded in direction of the other two he had left behind. "I met two others earlier, feel free to join us. Eight eyes tend to see more than two, and from what I've heard there's more than enough to spot for all of us. Would get you away from the pie, too."

Aree was pleased to learn that she had met a kindred spirit. Many people living permanently in towns didn't understand her wanderlust, and it was always nice to meet someone who felt similarly. She considered the man's offer to join him and the other two. It would probably keep her from getting any good thieving done that day, but she deserved a day off, even if that day was one of the ones that she was most likely to be successful on. "Sure, why not? It's always nice to meet new people, even if I'm unlikely to ever see them again. It makes life more interesting," Aree agreed before cramming the remainder of the fried dough in her mouth and hopping over towards the man's acquaintances. They were a half orc woman and a human woman, both towering over the little Halfling. "Hey there!" She said cheerfully, looking up at the pair. "I'm Aree, nice to meet you. Your friend over there invited me to come join you guys, and what's the point of a festival if not to interact with random strangers, right?"

Last edited by a moderator:
The paladin nods a welcome to the small woman. "Well met, Aree. I am Athaclenna, and you are of course welcome to join us. This is my new friend Azalea, and we were briefly discussing divine spell casting. Are you new to the city?"

Azalea
Health 12/12
Azalea

Level 1

no slide
(d20) Stats

(shield) Skills

7 - Sense Motive

» Common

» Orc

» Draconic

» Celestial

» Giant

» Abyssal

(helmet) Armor

(sword) Weapons

(chest) Equipment
» Backpack

» Explorer's Outfit

no slide
no slide

Cantrips:

»
Acid Splash

»
Detect Magic

1st Level:

»
Charm Person x 1

»
Color Spray x 1

Orisons:

»
Create Water

1st Level:

»
Cure Light Wounds x 1

»
Protection from Evil x 1

Azalea
Theurge Girl

Azalea smiles at Aree, forgetting some people react badly to flashing the pearly whites when some of them are tusks. "It's a pleasure to meet you miss. I believe we were going to make our way to the front to assure a good view for when the speech... ceremony... dedication rite..." Her thoughts wanders before she blinks and refocuses. "For the main event. Would you care to join us?"

"It'll probably be just two hours of boring monologs, but we'll see. I'm Effenyas, by the way. My apology for leaving both of you so spontaneously, but I thought I'd better catch her before she vanishes in the crowd and spends the day alone."

"I'm new pretty much everywhere. I never really stay in one place for long, as I enjoy traveling," Aree commented, answering Athaclenna's question, then smiled in response to Azalea's toothy grin. Her smile was also partially a result of the fact that Effenyas hadn't told the others about his suspicion of her intentions to steal the pie. She mentally thanked him for that. Then, she considered Azalea's offer. It hadn't originally been her intention to spectate the ceremonies, as things like that generally bored Aree, but they might be more interesting now that she had a few acquaintances to talk to. Besides, she wanted to see what this church looked like on the inside, and probably wouldn't get the chance normally. Even she didn't steal from churches for fear of divine wrath. "Sure, I'll tag along. Who knows, it's always possible that something interesting will happen," she replied before turning and beginning to move towards the church.

Renna looks up to see that there is a crowd gathering at the front doors of the new church building, obviously waiting to get in. She looks to her dance partner and asks, "Are you interested in seeing the dedication ceremony? It looks like it is about to start. We could gather up Fordrin and head over if you'd like to."

Cantrips - Detect Magic, Detect Poison, light, purify food and drink

1st level - bless, entropic shield, shield of faith, cute light wounds

Fire Bolt 8x

Channel Energy 8x

The townsfolk gathered around the stage as the festival was about to begin. The turnout for the opening speeches is quite respectable, and the four keynote speakers each deliver short but well-received welcomes to the festival. Mayor Deverin’s friendly attitude and excitement prove contagious as she welcomes visitors to town and jokes about how even Larz Rovanky, the local tanner managed to tear himself away from the tannery to attend, much to everyone’s but Larz’s amusement. Sheriff Hemlock brings the crowd down a bit with his dour mood, his reminder to be safe around the evening’s bonfire, and his request for a moment of silence to remember those who lost their lives in the fire that claimed the town’s previous church five years ago. Fortunately, Cyrdak Drokkus is more than up to the challenge of bringing the crowd’s mood back up with his rousing anecdotes as he delivers a not-completely-irreverent recap of the long process the town went through to finance and construct the new cathedral. He throws in a bit of self-promotion at the end, as is his wont, inviting everyone to stop by the Sandpoint Theater the following evening to check out his new production of “The Harpy’s Curse,” revealing that the lead role of Avisera the harpy queen will be played by none other than the famous Magnimarian diva Allishanda! Finally, Father Zantus steps up give a short speech thanking everyone for coming before declaring the Swallowtail Festival underway.

At noon, Father Zantus and his acolytes wheel a large covered wagon into the square, and after recounting the short parable of how Desna first fell to earth and was nursed back to health by a blind child who she transformed into an immortal butterfly as a reward for her aid, they pull aside the wagon’s cover, releasing the thousand children of Desna—a furious storm of a thousand swallowtail butterflies that swarm into the air in a spiraling riot of color to a great cheer from the crowd. Throughout the rest of the day, children futilely chase butterflies, never quite quick enough to catch them.

Four speakers stepped up to welcome the townsfolk as well as the visitors from afar - at least half of them did decently. Neither the first one found Eff's approval - you didn't make fun of a hard-working man just to entertain the audience - nor Cyrdak Drokkus, who managed to ruin his important topic by using his last words to advertise his own business instead of emphasizing those whose work had made all of this possible. Quite disrespectful, to say the least. In both cases, the half-elfs face showed annoyance, while most others seemed to overlook or even approve these missteps. The sheriff in-between did a much better job, being on point with both his warnings and his request to honor those who had died five years ago. While the crowd seemed rather bored, Effenyas bowed his head in respect, crossing his arms as it seemed appropriate.

Father Zantus did quite well, too, though his faithful words didn't quite manage to convince Eff - he had always preferred to act himself rather than to pray for another being's help. He just wanted to comment on the things heard when they brought a wagon to the center, and - after recalling another absurd story - released a swarm of butterflies to the sky. Shining in hundreds of colors, they scattered in all directions, causing both children and grown-ups to gape. Seeing the efforts of the youngsters to catch the graceful creatures, Effenyas reached out his hand himself, carefully and slowly.

[dice]22880[/dice]

"Come here by me", the half-elf whispered, and after a while of stoic waiting, a big, blue and green colored butterfly followed his words, setting down on the leather glove. "They're all too hectic and impatient", the self-proclaimed helping hand remarked, before carefully showing his catch to the others. "Look at those wings - so much perfection in just a tiny little creature. In comparison with them, even the cathedral looks bleak."

Aree couldn't help but begin to doze off a bit while the ceremonies were going on. As expected, she found them to be incredibly boring. The mayor's attempts at jokes were pathetic at best, and the sheriff brought down any lightheartedness. Cyrdak Drokkus's stories were slightly more amusing; Aree was beginning to like him before he inserted some self promotion into the speech. It annoyed her that people would do that, especially when they didn't seem to be in any sort of financial trouble. Finally, as the Father stepped up, it looked like the ceremonies would be coming to an end. He kept his speech pleasantly short, much to Aree's surprise, and then wheeled out a cart before droning out a story about the goddess Desna. The small Halfling didn't pay much attention to it, as she was far from religious. Her parents hadn't been, so neither was she. She couldn't help but let her eyes widen in wonder as thousands of butterflies emerged from the cart, though; they filled the skies as a storm of bright color. She tried to reach for a few, but all soared high above her head. At Effenyas's words, she turned to see a beautiful butterfly perched in the half-elf's gloved hand. "Wow..." Aree said in awe, standing on the tips of her toes to get a better look, "It really is even more pretty close up! Its wings are so colorful!" She began to reach out to touch it, but thought better of it and contented herself to just look. She wondered what it would be like to be a butterfly, and to be able to wander freely and without a care. It must be nice. "So, what else do you guys want to do?" She asked after a brief pause.

Athaclenna listens to the various speeches with a quiet reverence that comes from many years of listening to the priests of her own goddess. When the butterflies are released and Eff shows his talent as a butterfly whisperer, the young paladin smiles in wonder. "Beautiful. Truly such wondrous sights like this is proof of a kind and gentle hand as its creator." Athaclenna smiles at Eff, showing her delight in the sight.

When Aree asks what is up next, it brings her back to the here and now. "Well, while eating pastries is wonderful, I could personally use some real food. There is a restaurant called Valabars not too far from here, and their prices are quite reasonable. Valabar knows me from the many times I have gone there, and he always treats me well. We could take our time getting there and continue chatting."

"that is quite... ah?" he was about to say before the speeches began, he gazed towards the stage with a number of thoughts dancing through his head... So... perhaps the cathedral was open to visit? he msot certainly must make his way towards it.... er... no... it seems Syl's stomache disagrees. The man held a hand towards his stomache as his belly let loose a small grumble, causing him to wince slightly... Seems he must eat before he does anything else.

"Ah... seems i must first find something to eat, i seemed to have neglected to do so earlier. don't worry, we shall dance again soon. i simply need to eat something before hand, i shall find you again later my dear." he bowed to the woman and turned to walk off to find something to eat... perhaps he might find her again, perhaps he might not...

In truth, he simply needed something to stave off the hunger pangs.

he stopped at a nearby cart and bought a nice little treat, an apple coated in a sweet shell of candy! Oh how delightful, what shall this taste like I wond-

It....

...it was sooo good~

The man's cheeks went slightly rosy in enjoyment of this treat, his ears twitching up and down slightly and he swallowed his first bite... he regained his composure and looked down to the treat and back to the man selling them. "...three more please." he smiled a grin that looked much like a cat as he swiped away abit of apple from his cheek.

He turned to leave the stall with his newly bought prizes as he nearly bumped into a group of people in his enjoyment of his, now second, candied apple.

"Ah? Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't quite see you... But have you tried these apples yet? They are absolutely divine~!"

@Psychie (Just went ahead and bringing us up to prsent, and a chance to bring the whole group together.)

@Silanon @Sherwood @Creekstar @vinom (just nearly bumping into you guys, a dandy looking fellow with a good few candied apples in his hands.)

Azalea
Health 12/12
Azalea

Level 1

no slide
(d20) Stats

(shield) Skills

7 - Sense Motive

» Common

» Orc

» Draconic

» Celestial

» Giant

» Abyssal

(helmet) Armor

(sword) Weapons

(chest) Equipment
» Backpack

» Explorer's Outfit

no slide
no slide

Cantrips:

»
Acid Splash

»
Detect Magic

1st Level:

»
Charm Person x 1

»
Color Spray x 1

Orisons:

»
Create Water

1st Level:

»
Cure Light Wounds x 1

»
Protection from Evil x 1

Azalea
Theurge Girl

Azalea listened to the speeches... Although they weren't well written, didn't seem to foreshadow anything ahead in the plot, and they didn't give a good impression of the nuance of the speaker's character, the thing she missed most about her books was the ability to read faster. People talked so slowly, and when they were orating, their tempo slowed and their words became more predictable. They didn't say anything she couldn't predict half a sentence before hand. It left her rather bored... or tucked into her own mind.

By the time the speeches concluded, Azalea was quite a ways deep. She was expanding on the idea that the physical and artistic impressiveness of temple in some way benefited the god and not just the priests and worshipers. Many gods were prayed to... if prayer was a useful thing to gods, and not just rote action that led to actions the gods want from the worshipers, then perhaps the church building amplified prayer. Hmm, mark that for probable but unlikely. Deities churches would be to a similar optimal design for amplification. Perhaps internal then. Churches and temples are designed to invoke certain ideas and emotions in the worshipers, which act as a refinement or atunement to the prayer... She smiles a little, filing that thought away for 'to research later', with proper mental links tagging it to fonts of knowledge on architecture, ascetics, deities, religion, and divine magic.

It was in that analytical mental state that she heard Athaclenna's comment. "Not necessarily. The creation of a species, especially a breeding one like a butterfly is well within the scope of a life times work, even outside of the long lived races like elves. I believe takes skills in animal husbandry and druidic-esque magic. Given that, we can't exclude any motive for the creation of such species that a mortal might have. As they're beautiful, the garner attention. Seeing how the human children act, a motive lacking the ability to belong to someone of 'a kind and gentle hand' that would fit the model is a druicic individual wanting to create a signature disease vector..."

Seeing the other faces, she stops, biting her lip. "Sorry." She muttered, looking down.

The half-orc certainly seemed to have read about anything magic-related she had been able to get her hands on. "No need to apologize - I might have only understood half of the things you meant to say, but that's hardly your fault. I personally doubt that either Goddesses or druids were involved in its creation, nature tends to bring its most astonishing creatures into being on its own - though I haven't seen this particular conspecies of butterflies before. Not that I'm too busy studying them, anyway. They're rarely a threat that needs to be dealt with."

With a rather distant look, he watched the animal lift off, flying over to a rather strange-looking man - maybe his appearance seemed only odd because of the sickly sweet apples in his hands that had gotten the butterflies' attention. Needless to say that his hectic motions scared it away before he probably even noticed its remarkable wings, earning a head-shaking of the half-elf. "Well, I suppose it wasn't meant to be here anyway. And no, I haven't tried these apples - I prefer those that don't stick to my gums when I try to swallow them." Eff wondered for a moment how many careless people ran around this place tossing candied apples, but decided it wasn't worth the thought. He better left before he realized why he usually disliked crowds like this one, though.

"Valabars, you said?", he asked, turning around to the paladin. "I've never heard of him, though it must be a good place if your kind rests there. I'd like to take a look, if you don't mind my company - it's certainly better than getting trampled to death."

Athaclenna lets out a small laugh. "Indeed. Let us start to work our way through the crowds. Once we get clear of the square, turn to the left and you'll find the restaurant. Valabar is a true wizard in the kitchen, a very good natured dwarf that makes a turkey roast that just melts in the mouth. It will be my treat today, and I know you'll love it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back