Party 8

Gaarek maintains a fair distance from the children. He has empathy for them but is aware his orc features can be intimidating. He remains quiet holding his torch just close enough to shed light on everyone.

??? Village:

As you all approach, the older girl shushes the younger boy and looks to you all with a pure sad puppy dog pout. "Sorry sirs, he's just scared o' the monster in our house! We've been hearin' it all night, and he won't go back inside unless it ain't there no more."

As she mentions their home, she points over her shoulder to a tall brick row house that looms in the faint torchlight. It's seen better days -- the windows are dark and grimy, the gate rusted and trembling as it squeals on its hinges. To either side, the neighboring homes have all been abandoned, their windows and doors boarded up.

Tazkul looks towards the house, things being rather difficult to see with the darkness and the mist, remaining a bit in front of Gaarek. He had a point about being a scary dude, but Tazkul looked scary, too, even if he had the personality to assuage those fears. "I don't know how easy this is little girl, but...do you think you would be able to give any sort of description of this monster? Seeing what I've seen, I have suspicions, but I do not want to assume if I can help it. It would...help us prepare to be able to get it out."

??? Village:

The girl shakes her head sadly at Tazkul's inquiry. "No sirs, Mama and Papa won't let us go down in the basement where it is, and I don't think either of us'd ever want to go down there ourselves to see it," she says, shuddering. "But it huffs and puffs and howls a lot, and today has been super bad." She looks down at her brother, who still seems a bit nervous at all of the fairly intimidating strangers, and hugs him a little bit closer. "I even think I heard the baby wake up, but I couldn't check on 'im in time before I had to chase Thor out here."

Gaarek was unsure if there was a monster at first and more concerned with their missing companions. When he hears about the baby there is a shift in his attitude. He walks up to the children and sets his torch on the ground gently in front of them.

"Wait here." he says to the kids, with his best attempt at a comforting smile, walking past them toward their house. He takes a few more steps before glancing back to his allies. "You with me?" he asks reaching for the intricately carved handle of the maul he carries.

"Naturally," Cassia intones. "We'll cleanse that house for you, little children, so you can be at peace." This was a strange, dark and foreboding place, but if they didn't set an example and stand up to the darkness, then the light would never shine. She unsheathes her sword and strides next to Gaarek, ready to face whatever was in that mysterious house.

"Listen young ones, we might look like mean strange people, but trust me, we mean well." Baltair plays a quick, cheerful tune on his bagpipe, quiet as possible so as not to wake the neighbourhood. He then unsheathes his longsword and rests it on his shoulder.

Tazkul walks behind the paladin and barbarian. Still walking with his staff, he looked their way before heading forward. "Off we are, then. We will take care of...whatever this monstrosity is." It did concern him that it sounded like their parents knew about it and did nothing but keep it in the basement, but...such was the scenario the group found themselves in. He would whisper to Baltair. "It sounds as though there may be something bigger at play in this house. Be on your guard."

Strange House:

The girl nods at you all with a small smile, hugging her brother closer. "Thank you kindly sirs! The door is open, I didn't really have a key or anything. I'm sure my brother will be feeling better in no time!" As she says that, the smaller boy looks up and manages the slightest of shy and uneasy smiles, his face faintly illuminated by the light of Gaarek's torch. "T-thank you..."

The two kids waves you off as you make your way through the old gate and past the stone portico into the house proper. It's an immaculate foyer, decorated with portraits and heraldries of foreign design. A series of stoic and stony portraits of aristocrats hangs to the side, the plaque on the frame reading "The Dursts" in dulled, golden lettering. On the southern wall you find a shield emblazoned with a coat-of-arms, a golden windmill surrounded by a red field. Twin mahogany-framed doors lead deeper into the manor, beyond which only dim light peeks through the gaps.

Cassia glances at the portraits as she continues in. I suppose they must have fallen on hard times, along with the rest of the family. I wonder if there is hope for them to recover... She approaches the mahogany doors, and peers through to see if anything is discernible. Not seeing anything amiss, she pushes the doors open and proceeds.

Tazkul looks around the place, silently thinking to himself about what sort of nobility these people must be...all the more reason why the fact they were containing something here seemed a bit off-putting, really. He continues to move behind the frontline, in a position where he could whisper to anyone in the group, choosing Cassia at this particular moment. "You see in the dark, Cassia. Can you see anything up ahead we should be concerned about?"

Speaking to no one in particular, Baltair says "I'm sure these folks would have an interesting story to tell about themselves." Keeping his voice down is a struggle for him, but he manages so far.

Main Hall:

Pushing past the large doors, the stoic gloom of the foyer opens up to a glittering main hall, obviously designed to impress with but a first glance. Its wood-paneled walls are ornately carved with idyllic scenes of frolicking nymphs and satyrs. At one end of the hall, a sweeping red marble staircase climbs to unknown heights; at the other is a black marble fireplace, cold and unlit. Mounted far above the mantleshelf, seemingly more for show than for any semblance of use for combat, is a shining longsword with a windmill cameo worked into its hilt.

Beneath the sweeping staircase there are three other rooms: a wood-paneled dining room, a smaller kitchen door to its side, and a lounge to the right of the foyer entrance. A small closet also stands in the corner, shut tight.

As you take a few moments to grasp your bearings, the silence is softly broken by the faint melody of a harpsichord beginning to play. It's a soft and soothing melody, albeit sloppy and seemingly novice in its execution, and seems to drift down from the second floor.

Tazkul takes note of what was in the room, now whispering more towards Baltair. "As I recall, the girl outside indicated that what we're looking for was in the basement...although it doesn't appear that any of these paths lead down directly." He thinks for a moment. "It's possible the closet over there holds the path down."

"Perhaps...but the cold is bothersome. Let's spread some warmth first. Perhaps the light will ease some of the pain that afflicts this mansion." Cassia moves towards the fireplace, and begins to kindle a fire with her tinderbox.

"Are ye sure that's the wisest of ideas? We're in someone's home after all." says the dwarf to his companion. "Who we don't know and possibly doesn't find us welcome here." With that said however, he sheathes his longsword into its scabbard.

Keeping his hands on his weapon Gaarek moves toward the stairs. "I don't know big houses like this well. Where do people keep their babies?" Gaarek asks his companions while making an effort to lower his voice (although he likely remains too loud).

"If it was my home I'd appreciate the warmth," she shudders. "And this place feels off. The flame may help right it." Striking the tinderbox in the fireplace, she turns to Gaarek. "I'm not sure, but that harpsicord may hold a clue. Perhaps the music to soothe a babe?"

Tazkul lets Cassia light that fire, and then looks for more details. "'Twould be more likely children would be kept upstairs. I would hate to be caught off-guard, though, and knowing where the threat is seems the better way to prevent it from striking from outside our vision."

Baltair looks at Tazkul and says "I have tae agree, the best defense is a good offense." He stretches his back and cracks his knuckles, ready for what's to come.

Tazkul nods, heading towards the closet, looking around inside for any sort of openings to a downstairs area. "Hmph. Doesn't appear to be a way down here...it's probably somewhere else, then. Strange that the entrance to the basement isn't somewhere in the foyer, though..."

Cassia smiles as the fire warms the room, and calms her nerves a bit. "Well, let's follow the music then...," she says as she rises and heads up the staircase.

Upper Hall:

As you start upwards towards the stairs, the soft tones of the harpischord fade away into silence once more. Those of you near the top can almost swear that you hear steps walking away, but your eyes fail to catch sight of any movement in the distance.

A cold draft sweeps down the marble staircase as it delivers you to a darkened hall. Above the mantelpiece hangs another portrait of the Durst family: Rose and Thor, slightly younger, smile down upon you, along with a few other faces. A woman, apparently their mother, cradles a swaddled baby as she stands next to a larger man -- presumably the father.

Two large mahogany doors sit to each side, intricately carved with figures of dancing youths and flanked by lifeless suits of armor guarding the entrance to the various rooms. A third, thinner door stands to the right of the stairs, which continue climbing upward into the darkness.

"Two doors with carvings of kids... and two kids outside..." anyone watching Gaarek as he says this can practically see the gears turn in his head as he pauses a moment. "These must belong to the children."

"This smallest door must be for the smallest kid" Gaarek exclaims as he reaches for the small door's handle.

Users who are viewing this thread