Party 7

Bildrath's Mercantile:

"So you're off then?" Bildrath shrugs at the group's chitchat, as if they were discussing the weather or something else casual. "Good. Great. I'll pay when I have my stuff back in hand, preferably as untouched as possible. If it's there at all and that bumbling idiot wasn't lying to me," he mumbles under his breath as he shoos everyone out of his store, some vague directions in hand to head 'down the Ivlis river', before shutting the door and calling out to the back. "Boy! Are you done sorting those crates yet?"

-------------------------------------------

The trek along the worn path out of town is mostly uneventful, as the various townfolk mind their own business as they walk on towards the church, or the tavern, or the meager fields just beyond the line of houses. Their pace is hesitant, wary, as if something could strike out at them at any moment; regardless, a sense of urgency or need to eat pushes them beyond the confines of their rickety wooden homes.

Off to the north a young boy chases a stray dog around, weaving between the various buildings and trampling on weeds as they go. They barely sweep past a rickety cart rumbling on the cobblestone roads of the town, warranting a slight huff and a pout from the old woman driving it onwards. Turning back and seeing that the boy hadn't even stopped to acknowledge his rudeness, she shrugs and moves onto the next house, pulling her cart forth and knocking three times gently on the creaking wooden door. She seems to stand there an awkwardly long amount of time, waiting on a door that doesn't look like it'll open anytime soon, as the group continues onwards towards the east exit out of town.

Some farmers are already hard at work -- toiling away at meager fields that, despite the seeming lack of bright sunlight, seem to at least be sprouting out of the dirt. A few animals are grazing idly on rough patches of grass; they are watched closely to make sure that they do not stray too far from the relative safety of the village.

-------------------------------------------

You continue down the path out of town and eventually meet the edge of the Ivlis river, right as it begins to swerve into the Svalich woods. Rather than cross the worn stone bridge and continue down the path (as, you assume, is the regular route to and from the village) you instead follow along the riverbank to the northeast, trudging through mud and weeds into the woods proper.

It's surprisingly not a terrible stroll, the path being calm and actually rather conducive to herb gathering and scouting. It almost seems like the terrors of the night before had retreated in the presence of the midday sun behind the clouds. Eventually you come to a small clearing in the woods where the river curves into a larger embankment, around where it would make sense for larger packages to wash ashore. Though there are no signs of larger carts or packaging of the sort, from a distance you do notice that several large dirt mounds peek out of the ground, on your side of the rushing river.

tw2-jungle-river.jpg

Creeping closer to the dirt mounds on silent feet. Carrac noticed they were more burrow entrances then anything. Scraps and refuse had be used to enforce then, among them send to be the missing packages.
what was that?
A faint tremor underneath.
So far his party has been lucky as to not alert whatever it was dwelling underground. Sheathing his blade he reached into his pack, and carefully removed his old hunting trap. Hopefully he could place it by the entrance to trap whatever it was before it trapped him.

Motioning the idea to his companions, he sat the trap down. It armed with an audible click...

Clover looked down at the mud and wrinkled her nose in distaste, then stepped upon it lightly: Her slight weight did not sink the soft leather boots into the mud, nor did she leave footsteps behind as she stalked closer to the packages.

There was barely a hint of a click as the crossbow bolt slid home in its launcher and was readied for firing.

Following his companions lead, Marcon walked towards them, trying to keep as quiet as they had. The earth here close to the river was damp and stuck to his boots. It was soft, though, and allowed him to step quietly.

Reaching Clover and Carrac he watched for a second, puzzled by their actions. Had they seen something? He looked around but saw nothing out of the ordinary, except perhaps a few bits of wood stuck in the mounds of dirt. Better to be safe, than sorry, he thought and gripped his staff tighter. He tried to attract Clover's attention with a wave and mouthed to her "what is it?"

Svalich Woods:

Carrac glances around and, failing to find anything that could clearly be distinguished as an "entrance", finds one hole (perhaps a burrow?) that seems slightly less sunken in than the others. Regardless of his attempts to set the trap down quietly, the sheer heft and weight of the metal contraption causes it to sink into the muddy ground with an ugly squelch, the click of setting it into place muffled by the surrounding material.

But despite the near silence, the very act seemed to have drawn attention. The tremors get more frequent, more frantic, enough that the rest of the party is soon more than able to hear it for themselves. Something was digging, and digging upwards. Perhaps several somethings, in all directions.

"Kkkrkrkrkrrrr...." Staring back at Carrac out of the hole is a pair of void black eyes from a huge insectoid head, snapping its mandibles threateningly as it begins to approach. From behind Clover and Marcon a new hole erupts from the ground as a second similar monstrosity emerges, using its many limbs to climb out of the tunnel and rear up threateningly at the new intruders. There was perhaps one thought in their insect brains, and it was raw hunger at the sight of fresh meat.

Marcon swung round at the tearing sound of the ground behind him. Pulling itself from the earth up to its full height, the giant insect towered above him and snapped its scythe-like claws in his direction. Clods of earth fell from its chitinous shell and its jaws worked like shears, a thick green film lubricating the blades.

Fear overtook him and he dropped his staff. Instinctively Marcon raised his hands to protect his face. As his fingers touched he felt an intense heat flare in his chest and a sheet of flame erupted up through his palms towards the beast. He was vaguely aware of the creature's mandibles slicing together near his face as he sent a second wave of fire towards it.

It let out a high pitched "scriiiiiiiitch" and shot a jet of bright green fluid in Marcon's direction. He twisted to avoid the acid splashing in his eyes but it hit his shoulder; his clothing no protection as it burned through the thin material.

Marcon steadied himself and pointed his clasped hands towards the bug's left eyes. He watched as the side of the monster's face melted away in the blast of heat and it screamed again.

Despite the damage Marcon had inflicted, the creature seemed unperturbed and lashed out once more with its jaws. Just as it was about to strike, the air around Marcon shimmered and shifted and the Ankheg's mandibles hit an invisible barrier.

Unsure of what had just happened Marcon once again sent a wave of fire towards the beast. This time it took the force of the flames in its soft belly. It fell to one side, writhing in agony for a few seconds before its legs curled inwards and it finally laid still.

Shaking, Marcon took a moment to catch his breath. He could feel the fire burning inside him still and that his control over it was waning. Somehow he knew that if he didn't use this pent up energy right away it would nevertheless burst forth. And with who knew what effect he didn't want to risk it.

He turned back around and saw the other Ankheg over by the mounds. He drew the remaining fire from deep in his chest up through his shoulder, down his right arm and hurled it at the creature, burning one of its upper legs as his companions finished it off.

Spent, but back firmly in control, Marcon sat down heavily on the damp earth by his quarterstaff and inspected the acid-pitted skin of his left shoulder.

oh good, this is terrifying. Glad I put that trap down. Launching himself at the monster, Carrac seemed to be doing fine until his arrogance got the better of him.

The acid burned his throwing arm, and the clawed hurt to. Coming so close to death he fell back, choosing to throw his blades. Not one of them found their mark, not one.

Then he saw it an opening, an opening to strike add it was distracted by his companions. Lurching forward he attacked with everything he had left. The Ankheg fell dead at his feet.

At this point the adrenaline started to subside, and he wasn't sure why the world was spinning so fast...
"Might need some help here." His hand holding his stomach together; doubled over from the pain. Given rest his ki could heal him, but he'd have to live that long first.

In the midst of the chaos of battle, a pair of thoroughly confused spirits were struggling over what to do. The elven girl’s first reaction was to fire the recently acquired crossbow, which broke its remarkably lucky streak by slaying an evil branch from a grey alder tree.

‘Well, that didn’t work. Ready to try the fire attack?’ the human girl-spirit asked.

‘I haven’t practiced yet,’ Clover responded.

‘You haven’t been out of that room in the inn for long, and before that was our late-night cram session. It’s not as if you could practice casting spells in the inn unless you desired to burn the place down,’ the ghost noted.

Clover nodded to herself, pointed at one of the giant bugs, then uttered words that felt like her tongue was trying to crawl out of her head.
"fire bolt”

A flash of red later and the young elf jumped as if bit, inspecting her finger to see if she’d burnt it.

‘Oh, come on,’ the ethereal girl frowned, ‘mages are a prissy lot. You think they’d rely on spells that actually hurt to cast?’

Clover noted the last blast missed hitting one of her companions, at least, and fortunately he didn’t seem to notice the burning blur blast past his ear.

“Oops”, the elf spoke aloud, then tried again, missing with the spell a second time... but at least this time it was aimed in the direction of the predatory polychaeta.

‘One more try for me, please? If you miss again, switch back to the crossbow. Or, you know, do your thief stuff where you stab them in a vital spot.’

‘Rosemary, I have no clue where the hell a vital spot would be on a ten-foot-tall tapeworm.’

‘Point.’

With the ghost’s encouragement, Clover closed her eyes, took just an additional second to recite the spell, and... “fire bolt”

‘Hey, you hit the target! Oh, also, your friend’s down.’

“Carrac!”

"I'm fine, just need a rest so my ki can heal me." His face contorted into a grimace, he was hurt but trying not to show it.

Poking through the piles, hopefully the missing packages were here.

Svalich Woods:
The two large insects fall to the ground, lifeless, as their internal acidic bile slowly starts to eat away at their insides. There is naught but the rushing flow of water and the faint sound of cawing birds to fill the silence as you take a breather and look about your surroundings.

Looking through the larger dirt mound from before where the wood was sticking out you find what seems to be the mostly rotted away remains of a small cart, and a total of four large bundled up wrapped packages that appear to be unopened (albeit rather jostled around). Scattered around the rest of the nest is a rusty shortsword and buckler shield, two blunt daggers, and a very muddied and ruined book. You can just barely make out some arcane sigils on the front tof the book. There are also a lot of bones around, a lot more than you had originally noticed.

You salvage what you can and move on, eager to be out of the forests.

Village of Barovia:

Taking what you had found you take another hour or so (slightly slowed down by the added bulk) to head back to the village, back the way you came along the cobblestone road. It's about midday by now, as much as you can tell; most people have settled into their routines along the field or in their homes, and there is little other foot traffic other than yourselves and a dog, whose barks you can hear echo on the other side of town.

Around the center of town you notice a caravan wagon has rolled in near Bildrath's store, parked to the side of the crossroads so as to not block the road. It's modestly decorated, with faded tapestries and other simple carvings, and seems to be loaded with various handmade goods as well as some vegetables and herbs. A man leans against the side of the wagon, arms crossed as he watches two young girls quietly play nearby with some small cloth dolls.

Jasper shudders as the group crossesthe gateway into town, feeling trapped and hating to rely on the modest sense of security the buildings offer over the woods. He doesn't say anything, just trudges along lugging a package in one hand and his red skull in the other, absentmindedly rubbing the amulet in an unvoiced prayer.

Looking like something used him as a chew toy, Carrac enters the mercantile. Giving the stores owner a tired smirk, "good news, and bad news. The bad news is you had a bug problem and your goods were stolen."

Setting a filth covered package on the counter, he continues, "the good news is the bug problem is taken care of and your packages were recovered."

Carrac leans heavily on the counter still weak from the fight. The acid burn had begun to blister, it hurt but he was accustomed to pain. With enough meditation, all but the scars would heal anyway.

Bildrath's Mercantile:

Heading into the familiar store, Carrac would find Bildrath by the counter speaking to another woman, similarly dressed to the man and children from outside. Though the store is fairly small (at least compared to other stores that they might have seen in larger cities) and the conversation is easily overheard, they seem to be speaking in a foreign dialect unfamiliar to you all.

The woman seems to perk up as she is the first to notice Carrac's arrival, stepping aside and clutching her pack close as he approaches the counter and sets the filthy package down. "Is... you... healthy?" She tries to gesture as she speaks, seemingly hoping it would get the point across, before she frowns and mutters in the other language again back to Bildrath.

The merchant, who at first was more preoccupied with inspecting the tattered package than the person who delivered it, nonchalantly nods in response to the woman before turning to Carrac. "She's asking if you're okay, lad. I don't think 'bug problems' typically make you look like you lost a fight with a forest fire." He shrugs, leaning against the counter and reaching into a back drawer to grab a pair of gloves as well as his spectacles. "In any case, that took... less time than I expected. I figured it'd occupy you for the day, bare minimum."

"Well, the bugs were ten feet tall, covered in armor, and had scimitars for mouth-parts, but they've been put down. Oh, there was the spitting boiling acid thing too. Ah, so if you see any strange fluids on things, you may want to not touch them with your bare skin," Clover expounded.

"So, Master Bildrath, who's your friend, anyway?"

Bildrath's Mercantile:

Bildrath seems to make a face at Clover's detailed explanation, before clearing his throat and pulling his gloves on with greater enthusiasm. "That... that is good to know. Let's just hope they don't have any kiddos down there, yeah?" He runs a hand over the packages, careful to touch any part of the packaging that was even remotely wet. "Well it seems these bad buggers didn't do anything to the stuff inside, so I'll take what I can get." He reaches into a drawer and counts out 20 gold, sliding to the edge of the counter for someone to take. "Still got to make a profit, but the fact that you didn't die means that there's a potential for further business which is probably good."

When she inquires about the other woman, he shrugs and gestures towards the outside, in the direction of the wagons. "This is Annaka, from that caravan out there. They rolled into town while you were gone and we were talking trade until you put this..." he looks down at the packages, "... this stuff on my counter."

Hearing her name Annaka looks over to the group and bows slightly in greeting. "...Good to meet you."

Taking the gold and slipping it into his pack for the group, Marcon smiles at Annaka. “Pleased to meet you too. You haven’t seen a tall, yellow-skinned gentleman on your travels, have you? He was journeying with us but we somehow got separated...”

Bildrath's Mercantile:

"Y-yellow...?" Annaka tilts her head confused, as if making sure she understood the right word. "Like... gold skin? Like Morninglord?" Mulling it over she shakes her head no. "No, we been in mountains for two days. No others."

"Sounds more like a caliban," Bildrath says with a huff, starting to carefully tear away pieces of the old packaging. Annaka frowns at the response but he pays no mind, continuing to focus on his work. "Believe me, if some weirdo like that was casually walking around this place the entire village would know by now. He probably buggered off somewhere he wouldn't be bothered." He tosses a stray bug antenna off to the side as he says that. "So are you folks gonna just stand there all day or was there something else you wanted?"

Clover glimpsed around at her party during the brief respite.

'Surely they won't mind if I just slip out to pick the remaining herbs, right?'

'My parents never let me out to pick flowers,'
Rosemary responded to her mentally.

'You already know I like you, you're a good kid, but ... this is part of it. I need a bit of privacy in my own mind, and until we can get you into your own body, I don't have that.'

Clover rose from her reclined position in Bildrath's shop. "Ah, I'll be right back, got something personal to do."

'I know, I know,' somehow Rose sighed despite not having lungs nor breath, 'and I know that you're an adult and are ultimately on your own, but it's dangerous outside of town.'

The elf smiled to herself. 'Kiddo, if I could hug you, I would. Thanks for worrying. I'm just going to pick some flowers, what's the worst that could happen?'

'Are you kidding me? Here? Plenty!'
the ghostly girl responded, astonished.

Jasper shivers a bit. "I'm really not sure what we should want. We're stuck here, with no idea why and no way back, and somebody's already missing. Haven't even seen the sun since we got here. No warmth, no life, but no shortage of things waiting to kill us."

The wood was hard under his head, his eyes closed going through mental exercises to block out the pain he still felt in his arm.

His position by the door allowed him to casually extend an arm to block Clovers leaving. "As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm for flowers, we should stick together. Come on, we can check in with the Burgo-whatevers kids, see if he is more forth coming with information."

"We'll see you again Mr. Bildrath,"
Carrac drops the arm and walks out of the store, back into the street.

Without hesitation he approaches the man by the wagon, "if you leave town, be mindful. There are at least three werewolves, in the vicinity. They chased me here last night."

Clover tilts her head and squints against the light outside, "I just have certain plants I need to pick up to finish my project and get things back together again. You think it's dangerous if I stay near town?"

The elf girl hears Rosemary's sigh in her ears, 'It's always dangerous even within town, Clover. This is where I died, after all.'

"I know, Ro- er, Carrac. I'll go with you to visit the kids of course. Safety in numbers," she says, loading the crossbow. Her hand brushes the hair away from her ear, momentarily pressing at her temple, "Just a little headache, maybe there's willow bark on the way?"

Bildrath's Mercantile:

Bildrath shrugs at Jasper's worries. "Sorry lad, that's just the way things are around here. Deal with it. Anyway, Annaka --" He returns to speaking the foreign tongue, more occupied with dealing with business than with someone's worries and letting the group leave if they wish. Annaka manages a small smile and a wave goodbye before she continues to converse with the shopkeep about whatever they were discussing before.

----------------

Heading outside and speaking with the man by the wagon, he tilts his head slightly in confusion at Carrac's words. "Sorry... no speak Balok," he says slowly, shaking his head, before making a face at the mention of werewolves. "Werewolf... okay, okay. Thank." He nods at Carrac, then glances over at the two girls again to make sure they haven't wandered too far while playing.

Marcon placed a hand on Jasper's shoulder. "Come on, Carrac's right. Better that we stay together than let this place pick us off one at a time."

He steered Jasper towards the door and, in an attempt to lighten the mood, with a smile added: "Anyway, didn't you always tell me that Kelemvor teaches not to fear death?"

"Kelemvor's cracked in the head." Jasper bites out, smiling a bit more as he thinks about it. "The nutcase spends his time constantly writing the names of everyone who dies. It's actually kinda nice, in a way. Doesn't really matter who you are or how you die, you know there's always someone who sees you. Who knows and cares that you shuffled off your mortal coil."

Jasper stands a little bit straighter, clapping his hands together in front of himself. "So. Lest we resign ourselves to our fate we should find something to do. Given that something's trying to kill us and there's no apparent way out, I guess we'll be prodding around and exploring?"

Users who are viewing this thread