Party 7

Clover nods quietly and pulls out the now blood-stained book, "I have the other two of these, they should be worth a little in trade I would think."

Bildrath's Mercantile:

The walk down to the wide building pointed out by the young man is simple enough, just across the street from the inn you had found sanctuary in just the night before. Along the street the various villagers continue on their merry (or not-so-merry) way, seeming to be in a hurry to make use of the little daylight that there was. Nearing closer, a small wooden sign hanging from the roof reads "Bildrath's Merchantile" in worn out letters.

The front door of the store swings open with a soft creak, showing signs of its gradual wear. It's a rather bare store, simple supplies lined across the wall and some sparse shelves, though most lie behind the counter on the far end of the wall. To that side, a gruff older eyes the newcomers and sits up ever so slightly from his seat, though still maintaining an air of apathy. "Eh? Haven't seen ye 'round here before," he says, seeming to eye you all up and down. "Can I help you folk with somethin'?"

"Are you Bildrath, by any chance?" Jasper says by way of greeting. "We got caught in the mist and ended up here. I would like a map of the area if up have one."

A sloppily folded scrap of parchment containing sprawling, brown lettering slips out of the young elf girl's pocket. Clover unfolds her shopping list and dabs away where the "ink" had yet to fade from a thick, dark red.

"And... I have some herbs I need to find, when you get a moment," she states, uncharacteristically softly.

Bildrath's Mercantile:

"Aye, that'd be my name," the apparent shopkeeper huffs, leaning forward and clasping his hands on the counter. "Since this is my establishment after all." He thinks about Jasper's and Clover's requests, before starting to fumble through a nearby drawer. "A map, eh? I've got some, but paper don't come cheap. 5 gold. And what kinda herbs are you talking about, kiddo?" As he says that, he pulls out a small handdrawn map on older paper, rolling it out and showing it to the group. "I'm no alchemist but I can probably procure something. At the right price, of course."

Clover looks at the tattered slip of paper, "Much of it is common. A small piece of charcoal, preferably from oak. The rest are locally called dandelion root, mallow, poplar buds, rowan berries, hypericum, and sage. If you have them cheaply, it's easier to collect them all in one place than go hunt in the alleys and woods, but none of them are spectacularly uncommon. In fact, I recall there was a veritable field of dandelion right outside the inn... I may well do some free weeding for them. If it saves on your taxes, I have some small items for barter also."

"Though, I can wait, and don't mean to interrupt the rest. It's just that my needs aren't remotely urgent."

Bildrath's Mercantile:

Bildrath raises an eyebrow at Clover while she rattles things off, before shrugging and shaking his head. "That's, well.. not what I usually end up selling. Most folk 'round here can't exactly afford to purchase basic herbs from me on a daily basis, so I don't stock 'em all myself. Charcoal and sage I might have some laying around, but that's it." He holds up a hand as if to say 'one moment', then ducks down and starts digging through the shelves surrounding the counter. He didn't seem to care that Clover was worried about interrupting the rest, singlemindedly going through his business..

After a minute or so he pulls out a bundle of charcoal wrapped in a rag and tosses it onto the counter, as well as a small mason jar of dried sage. "Probably ehh... one gold for both combined. If you want me to procure the other things I'd have to go ask someone to get them for me -- and that, of course, costs money."

Clover digs through her pouch and dismayed to find only two coins in it, but places one of them firmly upon Bildrath's counter. "That's two fewer things to find, then, Master Bildrath. I thank you."

She collects her purchase when Bildrath accepts the coin and backs out of the way so as to cease interrupting the others with her trivial purchase.

"Oh... and I'm so sorry for interrupting, Jasper, but maybe this would help us? Master Bildrath, I do have a deed for one of the homes here in town."

Clover produces the deed to the Durst home, then turns to Jasper, "Honestly, I know I prattle, so feel free to hush me if I go on too long."

Bildrath's Mercantile:

"Eh, a deed?" Bildrath raises an eyebrow at Clover, then takes out a pair of spectacles as he goes to read the deed more carefully. "The home of the Dursts...? Why, they've been dead for Ezra knows how long," he mumbles, before glancing back at the party. "I figured you were not from around here yes? From the way you look. Which makes me a bit... curious to see how you came across this deed in near pristine condition. But the seal does seem to be authentic..."

He raps his fingers on the counter as he considers what it means. "... I will have to do some investigating to determine the legitimacy of this claim. Maybe make an appointment for appraisal," he says, scribbling something down on a nearby piece of paper. "I don't know how long you plan on staying in town, but I hope it's at least a day or two. If you need a reason, I've got a few errands that I've needed to see done and the coin to see them done with." He looks back up and the group up and down, seeming to evaluate their capabilities. "We don't see many interesting folk here, so I've obviously got to take opportunities when they present themselves."

Bildrath's Mercantile:

"Oh, nothing too bad." He rubs his chin, just a little bit more curious now at people who would accept work so quickly. He reaches underneath the counter to grab a small notebook to leaf through, as well as a small paperweight to pin the offered deed down onto the counter. "I've got a few on my bucket list. Retrieve some misplaced inventory, see if any of the farmers have a surplus I can buy off of them. It's infrequent, sometimes they just grow enough for themselves," he notes, twirling a quill in his hands. "Some of my trade caravans have been complaining about wolves causing delays. Baron Vallakovich I hear has got a few more festivals lined up, it'd be nice to see if I could get some sort of an arrangement going after he's finished with the current one.. whatever it's about," he chuckles halfheartedly, then goes deadpan unamused as he eyes the last thing on the list.

"... Oh right. The burgomeister's spawn inquired about medicine for their father." He shrugs, closing the book shut. "Remedies aren't exactly my forte, I had planned to maybe talk to the Vistani next time they were around for business if they knew anything about it. And if I remembered."

Something doesn't seem right to Carrac about how forthcoming this person was, maybe this place just had him on edge. The wolves were the most peculiar of the subjects listed.
"Wolves are attacking caravans? That seems highly unusual. Do you have anymore information about this? Such as location or time of day? I can't see why a wolf would be interested in trade goods..." unless... The howls from the previous night piercing his conciousess, was this a reminder or some grim warning?

Bildrath's Mercantile:

"I dunno lad, it was just something someone mentioned." Bildrath shrugs, paying no mind to Carrac's suspicions. "I usually prefer to keep local or at most trade with Vistani that pass through the village, but I have to admit that those Gundarakites have some decent wares sometimes. They have to ride the extra distance here, because I'm one of the only people that cares enough to deal with 'em. Maybe there's something stirring up trouble in that direction."

"Gunderakites? Where do they trade out of?" Taking a look at the map, Carrac is absorbing as much as he can, in case he finds himself without it.

Bildrath's Mercantile:

"As far as I know, they come from the south..." Bildrath glances over at the map he offered to the group and makes a face. "...Right. They didn't show up until very recently, so I don't have a map that includes their region. I imagine it'll be a while until some half-decent cartographer manages to scout the entire place," he says, shrugging. "Could always ask to tag along with one of 'em -- I think there was one smaller party wandering around town but hell if I need to know their business outside of what they bring to trade. "

He stops for a moment to think about it. "Oh yeah. If you did decide to help them it'd come out of their pockets, not mine. I ain't their sponsors, they can pay their own way through this supposed 'problem' if it pleases them."

Carrac curses himself for not noticing earlier, "what do you mean missing inventory? Have you been robbed? Are the authorities investigating?"

Bildrath's Mercantile:

Bildrath rolls his eyes. "Ask a lotta questions, don'tcha? Nah, just misplaced packages. Somewhere along the river I'm pretty sure, but hell if I'm gonna trek out there myself and dig in the mud."

Clover glances at her companions, "It sounds as if there are a number of things we could do to help our new friend and earn a little coin. Which task do we tackle first?"

The elf picks a burr off the lace of her walking-boot, "Master Bildrath, are there any you might suggest are more urgent, perhaps?"

Bildrath's Mercantile:

Bildrath shrugs, looking bored at all the conversation. "Not particularly, it's a bucket list I only bother getting through when I've got random strangers wandering in like you folk. Whichever one you're least likely to ghost on, I suppose." He goes back to organizing his ledger while you all discuss.

"Well... We're still trying to find our way back to the right path, right? Right?!" Marcon gave his companions a look that he hoped was motivational, even though motivated was not what he was feeling right now. Dropping his head to the map he squinted at it and drew his finger along the road running west out of Barovia village, "I think we should continue along this road. Best case we'll find a signpost that will show us the way. Worse case, and we are truly trapped here... Errr..." His inspirational speech failed him. "... anyway, that road runs pretty much parallel to the river so we could look out for Bildrath's missing packages. And when we find them and bring them back, maybe Mr Pyl'Cin-Tun will have turned up?" Marcon screwed up his face into an attempt at a hopeful expression and looked to the others for their thoughts.

The young elf picks a cocklebur off her hem, "That sounds like a good plan... I have to admit to being a bit worried when both our guide and the priest that I understand has taken the pilgrimage previously didn't seem to recognize the place."

Turning to Jasper, "I understand the gods like to test their followers. Could this just be one big test to see how dedicated we are to completing the trip, maybe?"

Carrac couldn't shake the feeling of unease, even with the flower Clover had placed there. He offered her a smile though to mask his concern
"You are not the only ones ill at ease with our situation. I seldom get lost, unless magic is involved. Most importantly, the trees are wrong, you don't find these species in that area of the world. We are somewhere else now."

Jasper smiles a wry smile, "sure we can look for the path, but it won't be there. No, for the moment at least we're here waiting to die. Might as well make ourselves useful while we wait."

Turning to Clover, he shrugs. "I wouldn't put it past her, but this" Jasper gestures vaguely around "doesn't really seem her style. I could try to ask directly, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply."

Users who are viewing this thread