[Party 7] Carric Frostbeard- Elven monk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting frequency: fairly regular, most days.

Character sheet: Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free.

Backstory:
That's right, an elf with a dwarvish name, a name chosen by me on my name day. Why? That's a long story; come, sit by the fire and I'll tell you the tale.

The Emerald forest, a lifetime ago; was so vibrant, everywhere you looked life was flourishing. I was the eldest of the chiefs three children. My days were spent in court learning to govern; nights in his shadow learning to live off the land. It was on one of those hunting trips that our tale begins.
We had been gone from the village, two days now tracking a giant elk, the moon was full the night we saw the first tracks. I didn't understand why my father was so afraid at the time, they were just wolf tracks. We followed them for an hour before it became clear, they were larger than normal and they changed. Monsters had entered our territory; the village was in danger; we had to warn them. I will never forget what we saw racing home, it looked as if the sky itself was on fire, our home was burning. The homes of a once peaceful people, content to live in harmony with nature, were now being destroyed by a perversion of it.
My father looked at me “Climb and stay out of sight,” shoving me roughly up into a nearby elm, “I'll come back for you, stay put.” Those were his last words as he ran off into the smoke. I spent what felt like an eternity in that tree before someone came. It was another elf, one I hadn't seen before. When he spoke, his voice was rough, “boy” he growled to me, “come down from there, we've run the beasts off.”
Something wasn't right, but I did as he asked. His clothes were torn and filthy, his hair matted into dreads as if it hadn't been washed in months. “Come let's find your family.” The fires were no more than embers now, smouldering ruins where our once proud village stood. As I walked with the man, I couldn't shake the feelings of unease. I didn’t see anyone else, or anyone still alive that is. The ruins were littered with corpses of former friends and neighbours. The chiefs house still stood, my home somehow untouched by the chaos that surrounded it. I broke into a sprint, hoping against hope that my family still lived. Ignoring that nagging feeling screaming at me DANGER DANGER! I burst through the front door, and my heart sank. Sitting in my father's chair was a man. He wore a heavy fur cloak of wolfskin; his hair was filthy; and most alarming blood on his face. A sickening smile crossed his face as he spoke “Good, we finally have the last pup. He is strong and will make a fine addition to the pack.” Then it struck me like lightning, this was a creatures that stalked the night. One who had become more beast than man, curse to forever be a hunter under a new moon. A creature of darkness, a werewolf.
I turned to run away desperate to escape, but found my path blocked by the man who had found me in the tree. “Slow down, there is nothing to be afraid of” his calm demeanor unsettling. “No!” I shouted “You don’t understand, he’s a werewolf!”
As he placed his hands on my shoulders, his face elongated and hair started to sprout from his face. “I know” his voice more of a growl then words. The hands on my arms became as iron, covered in coarse fur and his nails claws. The face in front of me became more beastial by the second.
Thinking fast I drew my dagger and plunged it into his ribs. That drew a yelp of surprise from the creature and I ran, ran as fast and far as I could with the morning sun at my back. I could hear the beasts crashing through the woods behind me, hot on my trail. A howl went up that chilled me to the bone, but it spurred me on faster.
In front of me was a road, a short robed figure with a beard stood there watching me. “Run” I gasped “Werewolves!” In a calm voice that spoke with authority, “Get behind me, you will be safe.” Unsure what possessed me I did as I was told. The wolves burst through the treeline, I reached for my bow, this old dwarf surely wouldn't be able to stop them. I scarcely had an arrow nocked on the string, and he became a blur. His staff struck the throat of the first in a quick jabbing motion, collapsing it's windpipe. The force broke the staff, but the wolf collapsed dead in a heap. The second one charged forward on hind legs, swinging his vicious claws. The dwarf began a sort of dance, nimbly ducking out of the way. His fist shot out suddenly, striking the creature in the heart. It took two steps, before falling to the ground, dead.
The dwarf introduced himself as Durin Frostbeard, a warrior priest, and master of forms. He took me then to the Abby, a safe place for all in need of refuge. When my wounds healed he saw to my training, became my master. Taught me the ways of his people. My family was gone, but I had found a new one with the monks. They taught me the code,
To defend those who cannot defend themselves.
To provide shelter for those in need.
And to destroy evil wherever it is found.

My body became a weapon. On my name day, I chose a name for each of my father's. Carric for my Elven father who taught me to live off the land, who I never saw again. Frostbeard for my dwarven master who made me into the man I am today.

I left the Abby to walk the world, to try to make it a better place. I serve as a guide to those lost in the wilderness, and help those in need find their way through the dark places.

Heya! Here's what I found, from a quick glance:

Character Sheet:

After looking it up, I'd say that the staff from your Outlander background isn't an actual quarterstaff, just a regular walking stick.

Also, your 3 languages should probably be Common, Elvish (from being an elf) and Dwarvish (from your backstory). Sylvan is an entirely separate language.

Other than that, I think everything should be alright since the sheet does a lot of the calculations for you.

Backstory:

I enjoyed the fluff writing, adds some personality. Personally I'd just ask for you to clean up the formatting a bit - I saw that you tried linking another doc in the other post, but that one was still private, so I'm assuming this is your official submission.

Let me know on the Discord ( K Kanaxe_Ru ) if you need anything, or need another look-over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread