Party 6

Varis awakes and seeing the same room he went to sleep in gives out a sigh, its not a nightmare this is real. He gets ready and goes downstairs to grab some food.

Varis listens to Benson's details nodding every so often and thinking about where they will head off to next.

Blood of the Vine Tavern:

"Yes, that was the hypothesis brought forth at least,"
Valeria says to Benson with a nod, pausing only to take a sip of water. She had no food in front of her, or perhaps she had finished before you arrived. "I had heard reports of a creature below, almost like a trap set in the house's bottommost chamber. The survivors had a tendency to flee for their lives upon realizing that their armaments were not enough to subdue the anomaly, even more so once at the threat of it swallowing one of their companions -- successful or otherwise."

When Benson pulls out the deed to the Durst House it feels weak and brittle; upon unfurling it fully it would seem like the paper and inks had aged decades since he stashed in his pack just the night before. Though remarkably faded the paper was of exquisite quality, and seemed to hold up well with only the slightest of tatters along its edges. "A deed? Interesting," Valeria notes idly, slowly reaching forward and sliding it closer to herself unless Benson stops it. "Walter? Ah, you mean the bastard infant. Perhaps the mistress of the house got rid of him in a fit of jealousy and he is in a mass grave somewhere. His ultimate fate is not something that has come up in my research unfortunately."

She doesn't seem to bat an eye at this information, instead nodding in affirmation of the deed and rolling it up again daintily. "It does appear to be legitimate at least. If you can get it ratified by the burgomaster of the village perhaps we can take further claim of the house. Then it would be a matter of amassing resources to properly investigate the house again, perhaps with a more permanent fixture stationed there."

She writes down a few more notes, tapping her pen idly in thought before looking back to the group. "It would take a fair while to prepare, but certainly a project that can be considered. Is the state of this building something you are particularly invested in?"

"There was evidence of cult activity. Rituals and... He seemed desperate - Gustav. Calling for help over the situation with the boy. There was a letter too which was a reply to Gustav's request for help. From one Strahd von Zarovich."

"I care little for the house, beyond the safety of the town and travelers like ourselves. It wasn't something we came here with the intention of doing. The amount of work required doesn't seem worth the reward beyond closing it down."

Blood of the Vine Tavern:

Valeria purses her lips at the mention of the name Zarovich. "I suggest you lower your voice, that's not a name people throw around lightly here." She glances around briefly at the others in the tavern, most of whom either seemed to be focused on their food or willfully ignoring conversation around themselves, before turning back to Benson.

"Strahd von Zarovich? The man you are referring to is none other than the ruler of this domain, Count Zarovich himself." She pauses briefly at the statement, before continuing. "Most likely his late father, as the current is the fourth of his name. I daresay Strahd the III would have had a much easier time dealing with the current troubles befalling his territory. Like trade disagreements, or supernatural hazards, or rebels."

The last word is said quietly, before Valeria clears her throat once more to speak up. "I don't think you need worry too much about the house, it appears to be neutralized for the time being and in due time we should be able to secure it in a more permanent manner. If nothing else it would allow Lady Cosovei to have a more permanent stake in the village and curry favor with the local burgomaster. For the deed alone I am confident she would make it worth your time."

She quiets down as someone else enters through the front doors of the tavern, a younger man in with grey-white hair and disheveled yet well-fitting clothes wearing a small leather satchel and a sheathed shortsword at his belt. He glances briefly over his shoulder at the continued sound of arguing before making his way over to the older woman who was knitting in the corner. "The burgomaster's son," Valeria comments softly, discreetly gesturing in his direction. "An upstanding young man, though perhaps a bit naive."

latest

"Good morning Mirabel," the young man starts, flashing a tired half-smile as he waved to catch her attention. "I heard my uncle came through here last night? I was going to ask Alenka since she was out there but she seemed... preoccupied."

The other woman apparently named Mirabel perks up on seeing him approach, laying her knitting needles down carefully as she waves back at the young man. "Oh, Ismark! Aren't you a sight for sore eyes," she says with a peppy laugh, ill fitting for the generally somber mood around the room. "But yes, Sorvia left us a note mentioning how some older gentleman was drinking the night away, before he up and left right before dawn. Poor thing slept on the counter all night -- you know how Arik is, he hates being pushy so he must have left the lad alone after he had a bit too much to drink." She smiles warmly, before reaching over to the ledger book at the edge of the table and flipping to a page. "Enough to clean us out of tsulka, it appears. I should be able to order another shipment from Vallaki soon but you know how the Romulichs like to upcharge when they sell to us."

"Yes, I'm aware,"
Ismark replies with a sigh, pulling out a small pouch from his bag and testing the weight in his hands. "Along with thanking you sisters for giving him a place to stay, I'm also here to apologize as well as pay off his tab."

"Aren't you a nice responsible young man,"
Mirabel replies sweetly, turning the book so it faced Ismark and tapping gently at the bottom of the page. Ismark blinks twice at the figure then sighs again and starts counting out the gold pieces in a neat stack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread