Party 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juniper was very in need of cheering up. The image of earlier events has been etched in her mind and she feels so alone at the moment. Juniper clung to the wizard character in the Vistani's story. What bravery and such power he showed. Whether it was real or not, Juniper was given hope. Maybe there are others who can help stand with them against the devil.

Juniper felt peace around the campfire. She was apprehensive to leave it, but Madame Eva sounds very interesting. To the others, it appears as the color finally returned to her face since seeing the body at the gallows.

"Thank you for sharing tales of bravery and loss." She lifts up her drink, smiles and finishes it. She turns to Dess and says. "I sure hope not." Juniper shoots Dess a curious look. "Let's go meet Madame Eva and her true wonders." She grabs Dess by the hand and heads toward the tent.

Juniper looks around before setting her eyes on Madame Eva. "I am Juniper, but as you know of our arrival, I am sure you know that by now." Juniper sits down peering into Madame Eva's crystal ball. She watches her shuffle the cards with excited eyes. "You must know more about why we are here. I speak for myself. I am very curious about what the cards will tell us." Eyes fixed back on Madama Eva, Juniper waits eagerly for the others to get settled.

Last edited:
Seeing Juniper sit down, seeming more like the upbeat person Arinthia had met when they'd been introduced, Arinthia was slightly at ease though a few questions were swimming through her mind.

'Sounds like she knew we were coming. I wonder if she knew just a few hours ago though?' Arinthia thought.

"I'm Arinthia," Arinthia said as she moved to take a seat on Juniper's left, watching the shuffled cards carefully. "Those look fancy." the rogue said, nodding towards the cards as they were shuffled.

'She couldn't have known yesterday that I would be coming.' Arinthia thought to herself, 'Even I didn't know. All I did was wake up late and have to run to the keep in Daggerford.'

Adjusting her hair a little, sweeping a loose lock of it back behind her ear, Arinthia added, "Erm, I'm not sure where to start." Arinthia said at the invitation to tell Madame Eva about herself, "I was raised in Highcliff and spent most of my childhood hearing stories about adventurers while working in my mother's workshop." Arinthia shrugged a little, making her red cloak bounce a little on her shoulders and hoping someone else would cut in with their story.

Dess suppresses a small smile as she steps into the tent, memories coming back of her years with her uncle and his associates, and their eccentricities.

I know some of them were faking it, just as some really were as odd as they seemed. And capability had nothing to do with it. Though I'd swear some of the most eccentric were talentless hacks who believed their own press used to confuse outsiders. I wonder if she's as eccentric as she seems, or if it's an act. Her reputation at least indicates she's capable.

As she dwells over her memories, Dess settles down next to Arinthia, folding her legs alongside her as she bows her head to Madame Eva, as her cloak envelops her.

"My name is Dessirris Lyrianae, daughter of Rolen and Thiala Lyrianae, and former student of the enchanter Hadarai Lyrianae. Journeyman transmuter, former sailor and... assistant quartermaster."

Her last statement is accompanied by a slightly mischievous smirk. She lifts an arm out from under her cloak, and her new familiar shimmers into existence perched on her forearm, an otherworldly barred owl, a foot and a half tall, his feathers alternating layers of white and brown as his head tracks around the tent to observe everyone in it.

"And this is my familiar, Nadir."

Not realizing his jaw had been gaping open through this entire display of....whatever it was, Beldsr snapped it shut hard, eyes going to his companions wondering if they understood a thing that was heard.

"Ummm..thank you good madam, this was most enlightening," he said living. "I'm sure my companions have many, many questions before we leave," Beldar said hopefully.

Clearing his throat he added, "Right?", as he looked at his companions.

Dess watches the reading with rising fascination, studying the cards laid out on the table, before she shakes herself at Beldar's words, lifting Nadir to her shoulder and visibly trying, then failing, to maintain her decorum before giving up and lapsing back to the behavior more in line with an excited student of decades past, spitting questions and requests rapid fire without pause for answer as they come to mind.

"Oh godess, yes. First things first. Would you have some paper, and a pen and ink I could take some notes with? I'm certainly going to do my best to remember everything, but notes are always a better reference. Oh, speaking of notes, Madame Eva, are the Vistani who follow you in opposition to Strahd able to pass through the mists the same as those loyal to him? Was that a band of your followers searching for possible helpers we encoutered outside Daggerfall? And if they can, would they be up for carrying a letter back to the area for me? It'd been a few weeks since I've written Valna before we got dumped off here, and I don't want her getting worried. Though maybe she should be. Nonetheless. Um, Ireena, do you have a map of the region, by chance? We could try to figure out where this mountain lake and winding mountain road could be, and see how it corresponds with where we need to take you. You mentioned maybe going to Saint Markovia's yourself, if Vallaki proved less than secure for you. Since it seems that that's a destination for us no matter what, would you prefer to go straight there, rather than stopping at Vallaki? What am I missing? I know I've got to have forgotten at least a couple things."

She pauses as her train of thought runs dry for a moment, then the sound of the Vistani outside pop one last thought into her head and her gaze snaps up from the cards to look around the tent as her attention switches to something almost as important as doing her best to understand fascinating arcana and what she needs to plan from the clues it contains.

"Oh! Drinks! Please tell me you have something other than that one red wine to drink that you could spare a few bottles of. Please."

Barely keeping up with Dess's monologue, Beldar waited patiently for her to finish. I'm definitely not going to recall a thing she just said. Reaching in his coat pocket he grabs a sheet of paper from his journal and his pen.

Handing it over to Dess, "You mentioned pen and paper?" he says quizzically with a gentle smile.

Having taken a different meaning of 'cut so short' than Madame Eva possibly intended, Arinthia had stayed silent, watching the card reading unfold with interest as the ghostly skeletal hand moved across the table flipping over card after card. When the wolf den card flipped over Arinthia's tail smacked the ground beneath her a little harder than she would have done intentionally. She had the same gut reaction to the Mist card.

'Oh gods,' Arinthia thought to herself, 'What if she knows?' Arinthia sat staring at the wolf and mist cards as Dess started asking questions. Seeing the skeletal hand produce whisky and some glasses, Arinthia smiled. 'Whisky is normally too strong for me but after that reading - I think I need something to steady my nerves.'

"I'd love a glass of whisky, thanks Madame Eva," Arinthia said, though her eyes were still locked on the cards.

'I wonder,' Arinthia thought to herself, 'If Madame Eva can see our future, can she see the futures of people who aren't in front of her?'

Gesturing at the skeletal hand, Beldar stopped and went a little red in the face. What are you waving at? The hand has no eyes, you dull farmboy.

I'll have some of that too if you dont mind, gesturing towards the whiskey.

"Perfect! Thanks."

As she starts writing out notes on each card and the associated clues with it from the reading, her mind processes Ireena's response, and her smile goes rigid as she blushes.

"Oh. Um. Yeah. Everybody's just going to forget I asked that, right? And yes please, I would love a glass of whiskey while we work on this."

She shakes off the embarrassment after a moment, before digging the map out of their possessions, and laying it beside the page of notes. As she takes a sip, savoring the taste of the whiskey, she sighs as she examines the locations.

"I see three possible mountain lakes. That southern road up the far side of mount Ghakis looks like it could be the winding road, and of course it's about as far out of the way as possible. Honestly, this is far better guidance than I used to get from the diviners my uncle associated with. A starting point right where wr already are. Three possible locations for one clue, a definite location for our wandering Vistani, and a likely location for the mountain recluse means we at least have a clue where we're going. I think. I hope. At least we can leave figuring out where he returns to until later."

She knocks back half her glass, closing her eyes as she savors the flavor, falling silent with a slight shiver as she contemplates the task and opposition the group finds themselves facing somberly.

Taking a little sip of the whisky, Arinthia found she liked the flavour. "So," Arinthia said, figuring it would be a good idea to start a conversation if they were going to drink. Drinking with conversation was better than drinking in silence, "Do you often have adventurers coming to see you?" Arinthia asked.

Realising it would be a good idea to search for the treasure. Arinthia excused herself from the tent for the moment and started walking around the camp, systematically looking through the various chests and bags and giving a casual "Madame Eva said it was okay," to anyone who noticed that there was a red tiefling casually rummaging around. After a few minutes, she found a big bag of coins and a curious amulet. Doubting that the treasure of which Madame Eva had spoken was money, Arinthia picked up the amulet, feeling more hopeful as she lifted it out and saw it was an ornate silver piece with a big red ruby in the center. 'Heh, this matches my eyes.' Arinthia thought to herself as she walked back into the tent with the item.

"Madame Eva, does this mean anything to you?" Arinthia said with a smile on her face as she put the amulet down on the table and took another sip of her whisky.

Juniper wondered if Madam Eva could help her find Badger, but had a feeling it would be impossible. So she put the thought out of her head for now. Maybe after this is over she could come back and see.

Just as the others, Juniper takes the glass that was offered. Amused by the skeleton hand and Beldar, she chuckles.

"Dess do you mind if I can peak at the map?" She has always had a good memory for maps and geography. Having the layout of the land committed to her memory would be useful. In such a terrible place it would be very wise just in case the group for some reason splits up.

As Arintha places the amulet on the table Juniper pops up.
"Oh my, it's beautiful! Arintha, it matches your eyes! How interesting. It looks like the sun."

Dess frowns a moment as another line on the map catches her eye. It looks more like a trail than a winding road, but could it be? She glances up as Juniper speaks to her, and lifts the map up to lay it out in front of her.

"Of course! These are the spots that look to me like they could be where we're looking for. Three lakes in the sides of the mountain, and this winding road along its southwest flank. Although, I just noticed this faint winding trail along the Luna river. I don't think it's the 'winding road' we're looking for, but it might be. What do you think? Any of the other roads or lakes strike you as possible places we should be looking?"

InkedBarovia_LI.jpg

Gazing down at the table at Madame Eva's words, Arinthia tried to decide. After a few minutes, she made up her mind.

'Madame Eva said it matters little to my endeavours. I can always try and find her again after we've found a way to remove Strahd's influence.' the young tiefling thought to herself, her tail tapping against her boot. 'I should concentrate on what's right in front of me.' Arinthia thought as she took a sip of the whisky and looked at the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, still blushing slightly from the way Juni had said it matched her eyes.

Glancing over at the map that Dess had laid out, Arinthia's eyes traced over the lakes. "Any idea what this building is?" Arinthia asked, tapping her nail against a building on the map near a lake labelled Lake Baratok. 'Seems to be way out in the middle of nowhere. Kind of odd.' Arinthia thought to herself.

Peering over Arinthia's shoulder at the amulet on the table, Beldar furrowed his brow. Rather ornate in my opinion for a holy symbol, he thought as his unconsciously held his own amulet in his hand. Relaxing his expression, "So this...item...has the power to defend against Strahd?", he said to no one in particular. "At this point I will take any help we can get, from person or item."

Looking towards the map, at the building Arinthia was pointing to, his first thought was, what a great place that would be to live out your life...if this wasn't such a cursed land that is. Smirking to himself, he looked up towards Madam Eva, awaiting a response.

Juniper looks at the map with eagerness. Watching Dess as she points out the possible winding road and the lakes, she repeats Madam Eva's reading in a whisper.
"Your enemy is a creature of darkness, whose powers are beyond mortality. This card will lead you to him! He lurks in the one place to which he must return - a place of death."
" This is definitely talking about Strahd. The place where he must return possibly means Castle Ravenloft. I think this is Castle Ravenloft since its so close to the village."

Juniper looks at the winding road Dess pointed that leads further into Mount Ghakis.
"This is a card of power and strength. It tells of a weapon of vengeance: a sword of sunlight. I see a faceless god. He awaits you at the end of a long and winding road, deep in the mountains."
She thinks for a moment. "This may be the winding road in Madam Eva's reading because it leads deep into Mount Ghakis. She repeats, "I see a faceless god. My guess is we are looking for some abandoned temple. That's where we will find this sword of sunlight."Barovia map.jpg

Nodding at Juniper, "That looks to be as sound an explanation on those cryptic card readings as I think we're going to get. I suggest we go for the weapon first, as there's really no point in confirming Strahd's location if we can't do anything about him once we find him."

Quickly adding, "And we still need to find the wandering Vistani and the so called Knowledge we need to find to additionally help us fight this evil."

Juniper smiled at Madam Eva. She thanks her with a quick bowed head.
Turning to Ismark, "I agree, who knows what can be lurking in the dark."

Arinthia nodded her head towards Madame Eva, "Thank you for the drink, and the advice." Arinthia said, "Hopefully we'll see you again."

Turning to Ismark and Ireena, Arinthia shuddered at Juni's remark about what could be lurking in the dark.

Shaking his head slowly, Beldar bows slightly to Madame Eva. "Thank you for the advice," he adds curtly.

Turning towards Ismark and Ireena, he speaks at Ismark. "Ismark, I know you have had great pains in your life, but I assure you, haste is the fastest way to continue on the current path. No great tree has ever grown in a day, and only those with strong roots weather the storm." He then reddens slightly, wondering if his farm lad analogies mean anything here, but continued, "Strahd is as great a storm as I've ever known, and these items of power and allies to be found will give us the strength to weather his assault. We need a plan, and we need to move wisely and calmly, as there is simply no point in trying to take down this evil if we die in from rash actions."

Scanning with his eyes to his companions, he hoped he wasn't the only one feeling this way.

Dess's answer to Juniper's comment is almost absentminded as she finishes studying the map, paying close attention to the route from the camp to Vallaki, before she carefully folds it, and tucks it into the front of her spellbook, flattening the parchment among the pages of thin bronze before tucking it safely away in its waterproof pouch at her side.

"At the least? Vampires, vampire minions, spawn such as the priest's son, Strahd-loyal Vistani, and according to at least one of our clues, packs of wolves. I am definitely going to have to try and figure out how to get a safe night's sleep around here. I'm personally leaning towards building a mini fort for night camping. Shouldn't take me more than half an hour, if that."

She reaches over and picks up her glass to take another sip, only to find it empty, and puts it back down with a frown, then turns around and looks at the others. A momentary blush crosses her cheeks as she realizes that the remark was likely rhetorical and her commentary less than helpful for people. She looks over at Beldar, and nods slightly,

"There are times to plan, and times to move. At the moment, we should be moving. Fate seems to have decided that dealing with Strahd is our problem to at least attempt to handle, but that doesn't make it theirs as well. Let's get them safely out of his way, and then we can start planning our next steps. We don't need to drag them into needless danger, especially when doing so may put us in danger as well."

She looks over at Ireena and Ismark with slight concern.

"No offense to you two, but among other things, Ireena is a potential lightning rod to attract Strahd's attention, and trust me, you do not want to bring down a lightning bolt on yourself before you're equipped to handle it. Good way to lose a ship."

Seeing the group of shuffling scarecrows advancing towards them, Arinthia felt a rush of adrenaline coursing through her. 'I guess we have to fight - whatever these things are.' Arinthia thought to herself, loosening her tail from around her left leg and letting it flow freely behind her. Glancing around, Arinthia looked for the nearest scarecrow. Darting forward, Arinthia swung her shortsword at it, though in her enthusiasm she failed to hit. Darting backwards as swiftly as she had attacked, Arinthia watched the scarecrow.

Feeling a sudden energy surrounding her, Arinthia looked around to see Beldar casting something. The energy felt warming, reassuring. Deciding to try something she had felt awaken in her after finding the amulet of Ravenkind, Arinthia held out her hand, gesturing towards the scarecrow and muttering two words in Infernal, "Atuv sediwm". Seeing a faint aura of yellow burst out of her hand and streak towards the scarecrow, Arinthia smiled. Until she saw the spell just bounce off the scarecrow. 'Damn, guess it wasn't strong enough.' Arinthia thought as she moved towards another scarecrow. 'Alright, do it the way Mom taught. Try and get a distracted enemy and use the distraction to my advantage.'

Thinking rather than paying attention, Arinthia felt a sudden smack against her side and noticed the scarecrow nearest her had managed to punch her in the ribs. 'OW.' Arinthia thought to herself, surprised at the sudden attack and feeling frightened by the fact that a scarecrow, which shouldn't have been able to move in the first place, could hit that hard. Looking around, Arinthia saw two scarecrows attacking Beldar. Darting quickly away from the scarecrow that had struck her, Arinthia ran and slashed at one of the scarecrows, scoring a solid hit across its torso but it didn't seem too affected.

Swinging her shortsword again, Arinthia put a small gash into the scarecrow's arm as she darted around, putting herself between two scarecrows, one in front of her and one to her side. Paying more attention to the scarecrow in front of her, Arinthia felt another strike hit her ribs. 'Urgh, really gotta pay more attention.' Arinthia scoulded herself.

Hearing the sounds of Ismark grunting and groaning in pain, Arinthia slashed at one of the scarecrows before darting across to the two scarecrows attacking Ismark and Ireena, one of which was on fire. Before she could do anything about them though, the two scarecrows were brought down, one by a volley of magic darts fired by Dess and the other from burning up.

Looking back to Beldar, Arinthia saw only one remaining scarecrow. Darting forward, Arinthia used her momentum to swing her shortsword across the scarecrow's back. Her sword sunk into its side fairly deep, and Arinthia was glad to see the scarecrow fall motionless to the floor.

Squinting his eyes slightly, Beldar's jaw dropped slightly open. Scarecrows, really? he thought to himself, as he remembered how much he hated the things back on the farm.

Well I guess this is happening, he murmured, as he grabbed his amulet and said a silent prayer, but as he finished you can hear he say with spirit, Bring it on!, as his companions are Blessed with a renewed since of Vigor and Resilience. He then readies his sickle and shield, bracing for the oncoming attacks.

As the scarecrows approach Beldar tries to ready himself, but the attacks by two at once are too much for him and they hit him hard. Staggering back only a step, he mutters, I've torn down more of you than I can count, but try as he might, he is too shaken to produce a counter attack and takes up a more defensive approach.

Regaining his composure, he lashes out with his own attack, swinging his sickle into the nearest Scarecrow. Seeing some hay fly away, Beldar grins with satisfaction, only to have the grin turn to an unamused look as he realizes he hasn't phased this monster at all. As he is about to get angry, he notices out of the corner of his eye that Juniper looks badly wounded. Calling on Chauntea, he points his sickle towards her as his prayers heal her wounds. Smiling back at the Scarecrow, he chuckles, I can do this all day, as he winces slightly from the ever present pain of his own wounds.

As his companions continue to throw everything they have at these monsters, Beldar's spirits rise, until the Scarecrow takes another swipe at him, again penetrating his defense and causing more wounds to open on him. Nearly falling to his knees, he stands back up and counters with an attack of his own, again striking home, but barely causing any damage. Growling with frustration he struggles to hold his ground.

Overcoming his fear of these monsters, Beldar again braces himself for yet another attack, and as he attempts to dodge, his already unsure footing causes him to falter as the Scarecrow strikes home with yet another attack. Falling to the ground, Beldar breathes once in pain and collapses to the floor.

Juniper loses her smile while watching the scarecrow creatures emerge from the forest. She immediately swings for the one nearest to her using the handaxe her mentor gifted her. The handaxe doesn't quite get through the scarecrow. "Damn you Badger for such a heavy weapon." She makes her way towards the nearest tree for cover. Halfway up the tree, Juniper catches the red eyes of the scarecrow. Suddenly overwhelming fear engulfs her. She loses he balances and falls off the tree hitting the ground with a hard thud. "Ow! Ha! You've got to be kidding me." Finding her predicament completely absurd, Juniper lays there on the ground as leaves fall on her face.

Finally getting back on her feet again, she begins to notice the difficulties her comrades are having cutting through these things. She pulls out her flint and a touch from her bag. The scarecrow nearest to her was distracted by Ari, so she lit the touch and begin to stock towards the scarecrow. She successfully lit the scarecrow on fire and then put some distance between her and it.
It begins to shamble toward her. "Come to mama!" The scarecrow slashes through her back. Juniper winces in pain. She stagers. She begins to finally feel the force of the fall. This isn't happening.

She watches as two scarecrows attack Beldar, Juniper immediately ignores her pain and the scarecrow slashing at her. She takes out her short bow and released two arrows right into each of the scarecrows attacking Beldar. She managed to slowly back away from the scarecrow pursuing her. She pants heavily and places a hand on her bleeding gashes. Catching her breath, Juniper feels an overwhelming warmth on her wounds. She watches as Beldar points his sickle towards her. She lets out a smile of relief.

She continues to distance herself from the scarecrow. She attacks him once again with her short bow. Still standing it stalks towards her. With a gleam in her eyes, Juniper watches the scarecrow burn into ash on the ground. Feeling triumphant she lets out a victorious shout.

From the corner of her eye, she sees Beldar collapse. "Beldar!" She closes the distance between her and his unmoving body. Doing everything she can, she successfully stabilizes him. She takes off her cloak, folds it up, and places it under his head.

"Well. Scarecrow were not on my list of possibilities."

As the scarecrows approach, Dess's hands quickly weaves a sky blue rune, and a larger, identical one forms beneath the feet of the furthest scarecrow in front of her. It sweeps upwards towards the sky, covering the scarecrow, but leaving it unharmed and in place without effect. With a click of her tongue, she grimaces, and shifts back towards the bridge behind them, ensuring she keeps a safe distance from the melee.

As she sees the scarecrows tear into the rest of the group, she continues to withdraw across the bridge, keeping a close eye on the exchanges between her allies and the vile constructs, unleashing a couple volleys of magic missiles on the monstrosities laying into Ismark. It doesn't do to have the people they're supposed to be protecting getting so torn up. As her second volley drops one of the scarecrows, she shifts to the side of the bridge's location, looking for a good angle, and finds one. A quick red rune sketched in midair unleashes a ruby red lance of flame, consuming a second scarecrow in a quick conflagration. As her only clear target goes up in flames, she calls out to the others.

"I don't have a clear shot at those other two!"

As the melee churns, she focuses her attention on the scarecrow she just gained a clear line of fire to, until Ismark takes a bad hit from the other scarecrow in front of him. With a quiet curse to herself, she digs into her reserve, unleashing a third volley of translucent magic missiles at the monster savaging him, tearing it apart. As the last two scarecrows are conusmed by fire, or torn apart by Ari's blade, she relaxes slightly, until Beldar collapses, and she finds herself dashing back across the bridge to join the group.

As Juni stabilizes Beldar, Dess takes a moment to summon Nadir back into existence, and gently strokes his head for a moment, before throwing him into the air to circle.

"Keep an eye on things, dear. Let's hope there's not a follow-up wave."

She looks at the smoking and broken remains of the scarecrows around the group, then down at Beldar's unconscious body with concern.

"Can we move him? Even if it's slow going, we can't just wait here."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back