Party 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing Dess call to her, Arinthia saw the coin pouch heading her way and caught it in the air without the coins even clinking together. Looking into the coin purse, Arinthia started to rethink what was going on. She'd thought with the amount the Vistani were asking for they'd be carrying a lot of coin. The purse had even less than she had in her own. Looking to the two dead Vistani on the floor, Arinthia sighed.

'Two people dead - for just a few gold coins.' thought Arinthia to herself. There was nothing she could think of to justify it to herself. Instead she simply crouched down and started to drag one of the dead Vistani into the forest a little, feeling it wouldn't be right to just leave the bodies on the road in such an undignified way. Placing both dead bodies side by side, their hands clasped over each over and over their heart, Arinthia looked at the sight before she handed the coin purse to the nearest person - Juniper.

"Um, we're going after the hags who make Dream Pies too right?" said Arinthia, keen to get the topic off of the immediate past and towards a plan for potentially making a lot of people safer by dealing with the hags.

As she walked along, Arinthia looked up at the gatehouse with a nervous apprehension. She remembered how the guards at Vallaki had reacted to her presence and judging from the way the guards were holding their spears Arinthia doubted they would be any more welcoming of her, though the tolling bell did make her wish to enter.

'Okay, different town. Don't need to repeat the same mistakes over again.' thought Arinthia, remembering how she'd refused her share of the loot bar two copper coins, which she'd put into the coin purses of the two tied up Vistani along with scratching a message in Common on the floor with a stick that read 'Next time don't be so greedy'.

"Um, maybe someone else should ask the guards to let us in," suggested Arinthia, "Last thing we need is them chasing us off because I asked and they thought a devil had appeared." said Arinthia, trying to play it off as a joke.

Before pressing on, Juniper walks over to the dead Vistani, licks her thumb and wipes it across their forehead. She grabs the necklace Badger gave her. They were monsters right?

Traveling to Krezk, Monte grumpily settles on top of Juniper's head. She didn't mean to silly. She's our friend. Anyways you needed a quick nap.

"We're going after the hags who make Dream Pies too right?"

So Ari, about the hags the Druid was talking about. We've met them or I have at least. I wasn't sure I mentioned it. I dont think I did but that Windmill is where they live. They were trying to sell me a dream pie. I talked my way out of it because we weren't ready for another fight. I hated leaving that place undisturbed.

Juniper goes silent. Nervous by the reaction her friends would have with her holding back information.

Soon her mind is taken to Madam Eva's card reading.

We have the holy symbol. Now we will have the person who will help us in battle. Next, the den of wolves. We are well on our way.

Finally reaching Krezk, Juniper quickly spies 4 guards clutching their spears quite nervously. Looks like they don't get much visitors here.

Juniper places her hand in front of her to signal they are here only as visitors. Hi there, we are traveling from the winery. We have news from Davian. May we come in?

Please to meet you lord Dmitri. I am Juniper Redwood. My companions and I bring unkindly news.There was a brief incident with some crazed driuds poisoning the wine. As of now there will not be a incoming shipment to the village. We apologize for meeting you in such a untimely manner.
Half truths are better than lies right?

We would greatly appreciate you my lord, if you would allow us entry into Krezk.

Not sure himself what to say, Beldar was very pleased when Juniper spoke first to the mayor.

Not entirely the truth, but certainly not false. She can be so very clever at times.

We have traveled far these past few days Mr. Mayor, and I assure you we mean you and your town no ill will, we are good people looking to get off this road and into a warm inn.

Arinthia kept her silence as Dmitri mentioned how there were no taverns or inns in the town, though she could hardly keep a smile off her face as she the mayor described the town. An idea came to mind of getting as many bottles of the water as they could lay hands on. If the waters defied corruption and judging from his appearance Strahd was corruption incarnate then perhaps throwing bottles of the water at him would inflict some damage - in addition to the amulet that still lay within Arinthia's leather bag. Out of sight and hopefully well hidden enough that nobody would know they had it.

As Dmitri brought up the Morninglord, Arinthia's thoughts turned to Father Donavich back in Barovia. She hoped the basement door was still holding and that the priest wasn't about to just wait for death to come to him in the form of his corrupted kin. "Hmm, I could try and milk cows," suggested Arinthia, thinking that being able to pick a lock open and delicately manipulate such tools meant she'd have the dexterity to try and milk the humble heifers without hurting them.

'We need to get for the Abbey,' thought Arinthia, 'but maybe we should also pray at the shrine as well. I'm not very religious but maybe our prayers might get answered. Somehow.' Arinthia lowered her head as she remembered a very different set of prayers that had ultimately gone unanswered.

"My lord... please, save me."

The words echoed around and around in Arinthia's head as she remembered a very different execution that had taken place just days ago. Where Arinthia had been a mere bystander and seen it as a small mercy. Arinthia didn't lift her head at all and kept her eyes half closed. She forced herself to think of anything other than what had happened by counting the cracks in the ground.

'Morninglord, please save us.' thought Arinthia, wondering if it would even work as a prayer.

I think we can come to some sort of arrangement for lodging. I'll be happy to put in some work for your hospitality.

I would also love to get a taste of this blessed pool. I've been craving something sweet.
I wonder how the mayor would feel if he knew we wanted to visit Saint Markovia's abbey.
A shrine for the Morninglord is a good sign. Maybe we are safe from Strahd's reaches here. That's something we should ask about once we enter.

Juniper hugs her cloak feeling vulnerable. She turns towards the path they descended down and scans the surrounding area when something catches her eye. An odd shadow is off in the distance. She sees a Vistani man hiding in the bushes but no one she's seen before. Juniper grabs hold off Monte. She rubs the top of his head and cast beast bond on him. The connection they both share intensifies as she establishes a telepathic link between them.

Now bud, I need you to go check out that Vistani over there okay. Be very careful my love.
Juniper bends down slowly and releases Monte.
Okay. Take a look. What's he doing?
Suddenly the Vistani man offers Monte nuts to eat, which of course is a big distraction for Monte.The only thing she can sense from the squirrel is that the Vistani man seems to be content with staying in the background.

Okay silly boy get back here, but don't let him see you come straight to me.
Monte is reluctant to leave due to the free food he is receiving.
Fine, enjoy them. But return when you can love.
With a look of annoyance and a tad bit amusement, Juniper turns back to the party readying herself for whats to come.

"An abbey you say? I wouldn't mind some time in place devoted for prayer," Beldar replies as his hand goes to his amulet.

And with a slight glance towards Arinthia he added, "And I just so happened to have grown up on farm, so I'd be more than happy to help you with your cows in exchange for someplace to rest."

Dess examines the surrounding town with quiet interest. The small farming village life it represents is completely foreign to her experiences. Her eyes widen as the mayor mentions the lack of even a tavern or inn, and her hand rises to her breastbone to grasp the coin with Waukeen's image hanging beneath her tunic. She shifts uncomfortably as she looks around, before turning her gaze to the abbey. At least there, they she knew there was something to look forward to. Possibly more than just an ally, if they were lucky.

"The abbey, do they have an archive, a library, or something of the sort? I would love to see if I could find some information there that could help us get things straightened out for you and the winery."

Confused as to how anyone in this land could be sleeping while they should be protecting, Beldar turned to his companions. "Eh..i know he said to introduce ourselves to the guards, but did that mean waking them up?"

Dess looks rather unimpressed with the sleeping guards, shaking her head slightly as she fingers her component pouch at her hip.

"I'm torn. Part of me wants to just walk right past them and let them deal with the consequences of whoever's inside finding out they're sleeping on the job. The other wants to wake them up rather unpleasantly to make a point."

She looks up at the abbey again, and as her eyes alight on the belfry tower, a wicked grin settles on her lips, and her fingers dip into the pouch, pulling out a pinch of fleece, as she looks at the others.

"I'm leaning towards a wakeup call, if that's alright. You may want to cover your ears, if you don't plan to object."

Fascinating! was the first thought to run through Beldar's mind. Are these constructs? Experiments? Or yet another race i have not run into?

Beldar quickly reaches into his coat pocket pocket, pulling out his journal and begins scribbling notes down, oblivious to the fact that there is a question still lingering towards them from these guards.

Arinthia glanced towards Beldar, half expecting him to take the lead but seeing the way he was presently engaged with scratching notes into a book, Arinthia doubted that was going to happen. 'Should probably get a book like that myself,' thought Arinthia, 'might be a good idea to keep a record of what we do here. Though mine would be very bleak right now. "Dear Diary, today I stabbed an evil druid in the stomach because I tripped, met Count Strahd and got caught pickpocketing resulting in two people dead and two others tied up with a copper piece each."'

"We're travellers from," started Arinthia then realised there were so many towns she could name. "Barovia." she settled on finally, as it had been the place where she'd met the others. "We heard about your abbey from a noblewoman and we just had to come visit." said Arinthia, "Any chance you can let us in?"

Juniper pushes her face up against the gate, You guys look freaking awesome. Wow I wonder if Badger has ever seen things like this. Man I can't wait to tell him about it.
Letting Ari take the lead, Juniper slowly backs away toward Beldar. She watches him scribble things down in his journal. She nonchalantly stands besides him, gets on her tippy toes and attempts to see what he's writing.

Saddened by the comments of Zygfrek, Beldar puts his pad back into his pocket. As he follows the guards into the courtyard, he tries his best to apologize to the woman. "Miss, I...I meant no disrespect. On the contrary, I have traveled many lands seeking to meet new peoples and never once has a word like....freak.... left my lips. I believe all life is sacred, and every race has its own virtues. I am fascinated by those I have never met and I seek to find the gifts that every person can bring to this world. You have my sincerest apology for any offense I have given you."

His head soon turns up again as he sees two more guards and can't help but wonder if they too are of this new race he has never seen. But as they get closer he realizes they are just scarecrows, and his head goes back to looking at the ground.

As he enters the courtyard, he sees yet another one of these folks chained up, yet this one is different and his curiosity again gets the better of him. Walking over towards the chained creature, Beldar introduces himself. "Hello. I am Beldar, please do not be alarmed, I mean no harm and only wish to talk."

Walking over to the well, Arinthia had peered down into it out of idle curiousity, unsure if the well was a wishing well or some sort of prayer offering. Seeing a person down there staring up at her, for a moment Arinthia was a little surprised as she hadn't figured there'd be anyone in the well. Though after the initial shock died down, Arinthia gave the man a smile, her tail uncoiling from her left leg and flopping down gently against the floor.

"Hello there," said Arinthia softly, "What's your name? It's alright, we're not scary."

As Beldar tries to speak with the chained person, he realizes all efforts are futile. Jotting down some final thoughts, he puts his book away and as he turns, he sees Arinthia talking to the well. Wondering what that could be, he goes and joins her.

Juniper's face is pure shock when she hears Zygfrek say she is a freak. You are no such thing. You are very beautiful and unique!
Hearing Beldar talk about his journal, Juniper perks up. Beldar am I in there? Do you write things about me? Can I see? Can I see?

This place is crazy. Why are there so many different creatures? Wait is this like a sanctuary for particular folk? How neat!

Smiling towards Juniper, "You may be in there, but an anthropologists notes are for him alone. I definitely would not anyone misunderstanding anything I write, as I am not a poet by any means."

As he reaches the well, he turns to Ari, "I can't see anything, would be it be a mistake to shine a light down there?" But as his mind was on other things, he began to cast before even awaiting an answer.

Does it say I'm beautiful and awesome? Does it say that I can hunt down any prey I set my mind to? Orrrr that I am the best archer you've ever seen?
Juniper give Beldar the biggest smile and then starts to wonder around but sticks within eye shot of the group.

Arinthia glanced over her shoulder to Beldar and in a moment of not thinking properly said, "Sure, I don't see why not." Looking back into the well, Arinthia smiled down to the spider eyed man, "I've got some friends who want to see you. Don't worry, they're nice."

'A lot nicer than I've been recently.' thought Arinthia, remembering Thornburst and the Vistani.

Dess observes the various creatures with curiosity. Are they constructed chimeras? Born to other races as results of corruption by Strahd's influence? Heck, she thinks with a moment of amusement, a slight smile crossing her lips, they could be blessed creations of some god, vessels that Strahd and his forces would ignore as inconsequential and corrupted, a holy dagger in the shadows to strike at the evil when the opportunity presented itself. Though given their apparent lack of a solid grasp on reality, that didn't seem like the most likely of choices. But then, the gods had an odd sense of humor, too. Maybe the abbey's archives could shed some light on their history.

As Beldar sets off a light in the well, she jumps as the spider-eyed figure jumps from the pit to attack him. She winces slightly as Ari's dagger hilt catches the poor creature hard, and her frustration flares, and her voice carries clear exasperation even as her hand drops to her waist, dumping a pinch of sand into her hand from a vial again today.

"Will you please stop getting into fights with people we don't want to kill?"

Her fingers deftly trace the familiar sky blue rune, with embellishments again, and beyond Ari and Beldar, it erupts in another burst of same colored energy, washing over the figure, and dropping it to sleep. The moment of relief turns to panic as she realizes the figure is toppling back into the pit where it came from, and she rushes the pit, knowing she's not going to make it.

"GRAB IT!"

Even then, it's too late, and as the figure falls, Dess flinches hard as she hears the impact of the body at the bottom of the shaft, and she closes her eyes, breathing deeply as the frustration threatens to overwhelm her, her voice strained and distressed.

"Gods damn this forsaken land. Why is it that death stalks our steps at every turn? All I've asked is a chance to learn, and to make some coin by giving people what they want along the way. Now even trying to save lives takes them. It's like this land hungers for it."

Her thoughts bitterly turn back towards the two Vistani they'd left bound behind them, wondering if they'd managed to work free, or if the land had set some vile creatures upon them before they could even get free of their bonds.

Last edited:
Eyes still gaping wide, Beldar still can't wrap his head around what just happened. Why in the name of Chauntea did did it attack me?

Staring down the well, he can only frown as there is no way anything would survive that fall. Looking towards his companions, he can't seem to remove the frown from his face. I know they were trying to help, but maybe once, we can speak first, then use force?

Looking around, he whispers sadly to his companions, "Aside from the crazy one in chains, you suppose anyone else saw what just happened?"

Curiously enjoying her new surroundings, Juniper is startled by the commotion and loud splat coming from the well and her companions.
What in Glittergold is going on over there?
She situates herself by one of the hallow alcoves that contain wooden troughs. There is never a dull moment with this group. I love it!

Seeing the sudden slash of the spiderman's claws at Beldar, Arinthia instinctively reached for her dagger. As she swung it with the blade pointing up and behind her arm so that her hand would lead but the dagger's edge would follow, Arinthia thought better of it for a second and angled the hilt forward, so she would strike with that first. Popping spiderman hard in the forehead, Arinthia winced as she saw the wound open up on his forehead, followed by Dess' exclamation.

'I was only going to get it to back off Beldar and maybe think twice about attacking us,' thought Arinthia though she wouldn't argue. As Dess' magic enveloped the spiderman and made it fall backwards, Arinthia was distracted by the sudden magic just long enough that when she did try and grab for the creature it was already past her reach. Leaning forward, Arinthia watched as the spiderman fell into the gloom of the well, a sharp dull thud echoing up from the bottom. Arinthia slumped a little, her tail becoming limp behind her as she held onto the side of the well.

"I'm sorry I - I thought it was friendly." muttered Arinthia, somehow managing to make herself feel worse. 'Dess is right - that's five people who're dead now because I either acted rashly or did not act at all.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread